PDA

View Full Version : Julio Jones on the block

bobblehead
05-22-2021, 10:38 AM
Personally I don't want to add a 32 year old wide receiver who is slated to make $15 million this year, but you have to factor in the possibility of making Rodgers happy. You could make him feel involved by offering to do the salary to bonus thing with his blessing to make the trade happen.

There are other arm chair GMs its seems.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/julio-jones-trade-rumors-deandre-hopkins-willing-to-restructure-contract-to-help-bring-pro-bowl-wr-to-arizona/

Although I noticed one thing about every arm chair GM player. They are all willing to kick the can down the road where the shit hits the fan when they retire, but I don't see many of them saying "hey, we can restructure my base this year down by $5 million if it will get us julio"....yea, it seems thats a bridge too far.

Upnorth
05-22-2021, 01:40 PM
What do we do? We restructure Adams? That wont get us enough. To get jones we need to restructure arods contract and completely handicap pur future. No thanks

George Cumby
05-22-2021, 02:05 PM
Fuck no.

King Friday
05-22-2021, 05:12 PM
People peddling this lie are the same ones saying that every team in the NFL has a potential trade for Rodgers.

sharpe1027
05-22-2021, 07:53 PM
No.

run pMc
05-23-2021, 12:18 PM
GB doesn't have the cap room. They'll be in cap hell next year as it is.

Also, Julio Jones is an absolute monster when he's healthy. Problem is, he's less and less healthy each year, and is on the wrong side of 30 now. It's really tough to justify paying $15M for a player who might be out for 5 games a season.
If you're running a fantasy team, sure...if you're running an actual team with cap issues, not so much.

The idea of taking a discount to bring in other players isn't new, it's been done before. This is just the latest example.

bobblehead
05-23-2021, 12:33 PM
GB doesn't have the cap room. They'll be in cap hell next year as it is.

Also, Julio Jones is an absolute monster when he's healthy. Problem is, he's less and less healthy each year, and is on the wrong side of 30 now. It's really tough to justify paying $15M for a player who might be out for 5 games a season.
If you're running a fantasy team, sure...if you're running an actual team with cap issues, not so much.

The idea of taking a discount to bring in other players isn't new, it's been done before. This is just the latest example.

Actually, no one ever offers to take a discount. They offer to be paid later after they retire.

texaspackerbacker
05-23-2021, 01:14 PM
I don't believe the cap issues are all that critical. Just the same, we didn't need a WR before the draft, and now we have one more apparently good one than we had then. Hell no to a deal for Julio.

run pMc
05-23-2021, 02:17 PM
I don't believe the cap issues are all that critical. Just the same, we didn't need a WR before the draft, and now we have one more apparently good one than we had then. Hell no to a deal for Julio.

Respectfully disagree. The need for WR after this season is real, unless they can resign players.
The cap issue is very real. Right now, GB ranks dead last in cap space for 2022 at -39.6M.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2022/

That's a lot of cap space they'll have to free up, or kick out to future years as dead money. Waiving Preston Smith next offseason will still have a cap hit. Signing Jaire and Davante will require cap space. Presumably Russ Ball can creatively write those contracts to save space, but as it stands next offseason they are likely to cut a lot of veterans. This was an important draft for them; they'll need to get 3-4 starters in 2022 from the group.

wist43
05-23-2021, 06:52 PM
Respectfully disagree. The need for WR after this season is real, unless they can resign players.
The cap issue is very real. Right now, GB ranks dead last in cap space for 2022 at -39.6M.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2022/

That's a lot of cap space they'll have to free up, or kick out to future years as dead money. Waiving Preston Smith next offseason will still have a cap hit. Signing Jaire and Davante will require cap space. Presumably Russ Ball can creatively write those contracts to save space, but as it stands next offseason they are likely to cut a lot of veterans. This was an important draft for them; they'll need to get 3-4 starters in 2022 from the group.

No need to be respectful... it's only Tex :wink:

texaspackerbacker
05-23-2021, 08:26 PM
Yeah, you don't post in FYI if you're thin-skinned. Just the same, respectfully or otherwise hahahaha, I disagree with you.

First of all, either we extend and restructure Rodgers and gain a huge amount of cap space, or we don't, and nothing else matters anyway because the team is down the drain for many years. Secondly, if/when we extend Adams - which should be almost immediately after re-upping Rodgers, there is another shit load of cap space gained. Third, as excellent as Lazard and Valdez-Scantling have been, it shouldn't be that hard to re-sign them as many have the idea rightly or wrongly that they are only good because of Rodgers and LaFleur's system. Fourth, the cap is likely to go up normal X 2 next season to make up for this season's mess. In the case of Jaire and anybody else we need to sign, you can always use big bonuses to keep the cap hit down for the first year or two. As for the draft, after botching it so extremely bad last season, Gutekunst somehow saw the light and did a magnificent job this year of drafting exactly the way a team should draft, so 2, 3, 4, or more starters is very realistic.

So R-E-L-A-X. Everything is gonna be fine - assuming the guy who said R-E-L-A-X is still on our side for the foreseeable future.

run pMc
05-23-2021, 08:41 PM
Fair enough. I doubt it will be as dire as it looks now, but I think there will be bloodletting next offseason. $40M is a lot of cap space to free up.

As for Julio Jones, I don't see GB showing any interest in trading for him. This year they have Adams, Lazard, MVS, Amari, Funchess, ESB, and Taylor under contract. One and possibly two of those guys won't make the 53.
Julio would be a big step up from everyone not named Davante, but MLF's offense isn't predicated on needing Julio-quality WRs. That's McCarthy stuff. I suspect the cap space for Julio would be prohibitive.

Finally, if they are going to spend money, you could argue it should be on defense, like maybe a really good DE or ILB hahaha.

Tony Oday
05-24-2021, 09:55 AM
Yup JJ, DA and AR would be unstoppable

red
05-26-2021, 05:37 PM
we don't have anywhere near the cap room to take him

and pretty soon we might not even have a QB that can get the ball to him

Tony Oday
05-27-2021, 02:40 PM
we don't have anywhere near the cap room to take him

and pretty soon we might not even have a QB that can get the ball to him

With JJ and DA Love will be a Hall of Famer