PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry skill players for Rodgers and an offensive identity

RashanGary
06-18-2021, 11:13 AM
Chemistry guys for Rodgers

Adams
Jones
Lazard
Tonyan
MVS and Lewis

Up and comers who will take some time to blend in

Dillon
Deguara
Amari Rodgers
Anyone else

When you look at the guys who have been in the offense and with the QB for a while, an early identity emerges. We have guys who are as good in the run as they are in the pass. Expect a heavy dose of balanced offense. We're going to run as much as we pass and force defenses to cover the whole field.

In the mean time, packages that give some rest to Jones and packages that start to blend in some other players will also be used. But the core of the offense and the identity of the team will be chemistry and balance from that top list of guys. It's gonna be long drives with few mistakes and a lot of consistency. This is the best group of long term players that Rodgers has played with since the big 5 WR days.

I like the OL to be solid. I expect the offense to be very hard to stop. If we have leads, I expect Lafleur to bring in more of the young guys to build chemistry and protect against future injury. If we're behind or competitive, I expect lafleur to lean on the chemistry guys to get the lead.

One of my pet peeves is bringing in young guys to team build when you're losing. I think that should be done with leads.

RashanGary
06-18-2021, 11:18 AM
Rodgers is poised for another MVP type season. He has the exact type of team around him that suits his play style.

King Friday
06-18-2021, 12:20 PM
Rodgers is poised for another MVP type season. He has the exact type of team around him that suits his play style.

This is why his shenanigans this off-season are all the more disappointing. There isn't another team in the NFL that is going to provide the ready-made environment for him to succeed. I'm not sure what Rodgers thinks he will get somewhere else... but I can guarantee it won't be better.

Sparkey
06-18-2021, 06:38 PM
Rodgers MVP was a one off, last hurrah, that he will never come close to again.

Jaire
07-12-2021, 03:10 PM
Funchess & Amari will be fun to watch.

How long before they gain trust from AR? Should be a an offensive juggernaut again.

And Dillon could make the offense scary.

Upnorth
07-15-2021, 05:01 PM
Lafluer wants his wr to be able to block. Lazard isn't just an above average wr, he is an exceptional blocker as well. I see funchess playing a very similar role so if they are both on the field we can disguise our attack even more.
Its not lazard or funchess, it is Lazard and funchess

RashanGary
07-15-2021, 08:05 PM
I think funchess will be garbage.

Jaire
07-17-2021, 12:58 PM

one hundred percent

Slim chance AR does not come back. He has to see how close this team was and it will be better than last year. The only downgrade is Oline and the base line lineup there we've seen: Bakh-Jenkins-Patrick-Runyan-Turner. Go from there.

I did sense from AR's comments at the "match" that he'll be back....unless he has other grievances with the league in general. He's more peeved that he won't be allowed to finish his career with GB which has it's best young roster since 2010 and could have a top 5 defense -- very close.

Jaire
07-17-2021, 01:02 PM
I think funchess will be garbage.

MLF seemed excited. High praise from Davante too. What don't you like?

Jaire
07-17-2021, 01:09 PM
Rodgers MVP was a one off, last hurrah, that he will never come close to again.

This year's roster is better. It wasn't a one off. AR said it was the easiest year of his career. He had (schemed) open WRs; he didn't have to be the GOAT for the 1st time in his career. It took a year to make the transition to MLF. (Again, he is pissed because he won't be givem opportunity to finish in GB)

AR is vastly underrated. I've taken 13 years to form that opinion. But he is hands down the best to ever play the position. Just look how Brees (no Vea, MVP of NFCCG) and Mahomes faired against TB. AR is just on another level. He makes mistakes, sure: but even his mistakes make sense. And all QBs have bad games. Toughest game (TB) in years: over 100 QB rating.

King Friday
07-17-2021, 01:40 PM
If Rodgers wants to be in GB so badly, why is he asking to be sent out? If he continues to play at a near MVP level, Love won't see the field.

texaspackerbacker
07-17-2021, 04:30 PM
We have no indication whatsoever from Rodgers himself that he wants out - just from the media shitheads.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2021, 05:17 PM
AR is vastly underrated. I've taken 13 years to form that opinion. But he is hands down the best to ever play the position.

Come on, Brady is GOAT, Rodgers is greatest Packer of all time, any position. <cough> Reggie White?

I am major skeptical about the offensive line. How can all the turnover & injury be fixed in one year?

RashanGary
07-17-2021, 05:48 PM
I am major skeptical about the offensive line. How can all the turnover & injury be fixed in one year?

The rookie, even if a good rookie is a big step down at center.

Bakh
Jenkins
Meyer
Runyan
Turner

Just the rookie center seems like an issue. Bakh not being back right away would hurt a little too. Yeah, it's a question mark. The chemistry with the skill players should help the ball come out a little faster until bakh makes it back. The offense should step back at least early and has a chance to be good by the end. The defense has a chance to be a little better. Hopefully it comes together ok.

Bretsky
07-18-2021, 12:45 AM
We have no indication whatsoever from Rodgers himself that he wants out - just from the media shitheads.

Did I miss something or did he skip his first mandatory minicamp in his career ?

texaspackerbacker
07-18-2021, 05:35 AM
That means he "wants out"? Or he's just busy with his new bride, Jeopardy, golf, etc.?

RashanGary
07-18-2021, 05:40 AM
That means he "wants out"? Or he's just busy with his new bride, Jeopardy, golf, etc.?

You might be right. Emmanuel Acho said Rodgers showed up for the last day of player union to pan for no more offseason work. He didn’t get his way. But then didn’t show up for offseason work. Acho said he didn’t want to be there anyway so thinks this could be a bunch of bullshit.

King Friday
07-18-2021, 08:29 AM
You might be right. Emmanuel Acho said Rodgers showed up for the last day of player union to pan for no more offseason work. He didn’t get his way. But then didn’t show up for offseason work. Acho said he didn’t want to be there anyway so thinks this could be a bunch of bullshit.

This becoming Favre 2.0 is certainly high on my list of probabilities at this point. Like I've noted, Rodgers' reasoning for this that he has publicly noted is incredibly weak. This will not go well for him if he decides to hold out of training camp for a significant period of time. You can't be a champion of "the people" and then leave those people hanging in the wind because you have a beef with a couple front office people who simply made decisions you don't agree with.

At this point, Favre's ongoing retirement saga was a better way to get out of training than whatever ploy Rodgers is following.

Harlan Huckleby
07-18-2021, 08:52 AM
The rookie, even if a good rookie is a big step down at center.

Bakh
Jenkins
Meyer
Runyan
Turner

Just the rookie center seems like an issue. Bakh not being back right away would hurt a little too. Yeah, it's a question mark. The chemistry with the skill players should help the ball come out a little faster until bakh makes it back. The offense should step back at least early and has a chance to be good by the end. The defense has a chance to be a little better. Hopefully it comes together ok.

It is not realistic to count Bakh as an asset until the 2022 season. He will be a JAG when he makes it back next fall (winter?)

https://dairylandexpress.com/2021/06/23/will-packers-david-bakhtiari-miss-significant-portion-2021-season/

RashanGary
07-18-2021, 01:31 PM
Yeah HH. The line is suspect for the first half of the season for sure. The thing about offenses is there is coaching adjustments and strengths that can be leaned on. You don’t just take a suspect line and beat your head on the wall trying to win with your weakness. You lean on your strengths, highlight them, and lean away from the weaknesses. When we had Jennings, Driver, Jones, Finley, Nelson and Cobb we were able to get away without much of a running game.

So….

With this team, you have guys who are on the same page with the QB. Lazard, Adams, Tonyan, A Jones, MVS…. We also have a really good running back and a promising backup. So you don’t lean into deep drops with long developing plays. You lean toward a balanced run and pass attack to slow down rushers. You lean toward a rhythm passing attack with chemistry allowing the QB to trust his read and get rid of it.

Rodgers hasn’t had many bad OLs and when he did he had some real down years. He likes to hold the ball. He’s methodical more than impulsive.

If Rodgers and MLF and company can realize early that it’s a different year and will require a different attack style AND if the improved areas on defense (ILB, Gary, the secondary chemistry) are able to carry the load a little early…. If…. There’s a chance we can win enough early to hold on till Bakh is back. And I do think Bakh will be fine by seasons end.

If you hang on early, the end has a chance of coming together nicely.

If they beat their heads on the wall, it could just blow up and be ugly. But Rodgers has seen a lot. He has chemistry guys. He should be able to run and quick pass his way to a bunch of victories until it comes together.

RashanGary
07-18-2021, 01:33 PM
The thing you have to consider about the Packers one weakness (and it’s not a horrible one) is that every team has them. Do we have enough strengths to offset the weaknesses. I think we do.

Harlan Huckleby
07-18-2021, 07:40 PM
I was thinking that offensive line is less critical than in past decades. But it looks like the OLs of teams that did well in last year's playoffs were very good.

PFF ranking
1. CLEVELAND BROWNS
2. GREEN BAY PACKERS
3. LOS ANGELES RAMS
4. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
5. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
6. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM
7. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
8. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
9. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
10. BUFFALO BILLS
11. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
12. ARIZONA CARDINALS
13. DETROIT LIONS
14. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
15. TENNESSEE TITANS
16. BALTIMORE RAVENS
17. PITTSBURGH STEELERS
18. CAROLINA PANTHERS
19. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
20. CHICAGO BEARS
21. ATLANTA FALCONS
22. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
23. HOUSTON TEXANS
24. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS
25. DENVER BRONCOS
26. MINNESOTA VIKINGS
27. DALLAS COWBOYS
28. MIAMI DOLPHINS
29. NEW YORK JETS
30. CINCINNATI BENGALS
31. NEW YORK GIANTS
32. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

Harlan Huckleby
07-18-2021, 07:41 PM
Maybe OL stats are silly becuz the quality of the QB shifts them so much.

RashanGary
07-18-2021, 09:54 PM
The starting OL before Bakh comes back will likely be

Turner (below average LT)
Patrick (average LG)
Meyer (projected average C)
Runyan (projected average RG)
Jenkins (average RT)

It’s a pretty average looking group before Bakhtiari comes back. I think you can coach around it, especially when you have a HOF QB, a probowl caliber RB and high chemistry passing weapons. As well as good blockers on the perimeter.

The hope is once Bakh comes back they go from average to good when everyone is on their best positions.

RashanGary
07-18-2021, 09:57 PM
Once Bakh is healthy

Bakh (average LT)
Jenkins (stud LG)
Meyer (average center)
Runyan (average RG)
Turner (average RT)

That line looks really solid, with no real weak links. That’s important.

Harlan Huckleby
07-18-2021, 10:28 PM
What does the line look like when suffer the annual 1 or 2 serious injuries on the O-line, and Bahk struggles to be average?

Lane Taylor took a few years to develop into a good player. Just when he hits stride he's gone. They've shed all the depth.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ba/09/dd/ba09dd18782995b3b5c9d8b331ec6f10.gif

Harlan Huckleby
07-19-2021, 10:16 AM
BTW, I agree with your point that all NFL teams have roster holes, I'm not saying the Packers have done a bad job. I think the OL is more spotty and vulnerable than you do. I don't know how good the Replacements will be, so maybe I'll be proven wrong.

texaspackerbacker
07-19-2021, 10:52 AM
I've sort of been saying that for years - our O Line isn't the bastion of strength many make it out to be. Rodgers' mobility makes it seem better than it is, and now Jones' ability to dart through a small hole makes the line shine too. Last year and this year, though, I'm thinking the line is a lot better than in the past. I've never had all that high an opinion of Bakhtiari, and that was supported by the fact that they barely missed a beat without him last season. Jenkins, though, seems special, and I had a much better opinion of Linsley than Bakhtiari. Myers, though, it seems to me is gonna quickly become even better than Linsley was - bigger, better reputation in college, higher drafted, etc.. We also may have gotten lucky with Runyon. And with more young talent coming in, the line will be fine.

Jaire
07-19-2021, 10:08 PM
I've been yelling for an OT or DL early since the 2018 draft.

But I am a bit more hopeful for this group esp after Bakh returns. Stenavich has done a great job. The draft quantity strategy (esp given our lack of depth for so long) will produce a few good players also. Wagner was at his end there last playoffs. Very hopeful they will be stronger than last year come playoffs.

Also loved the Slaton pick. But OL is the only downgrade this year imo. Can't bring them all back.

And I agree with Tex above. I think Royce will surprise as well.

texaspackerbacker
07-19-2021, 10:18 PM
Before you agree too much hahahaha, I didn't want to have them draft an O Lineman high because I just don't consider O Line that significant, and a helluva lot of high draft picks, Tackles especially, don't seem to pan out. As I said above, though, I like Slaton for the D Line - way better than pathetic L & L.

RashanGary
07-20-2021, 12:05 AM
Jenkins is a player
Turner is a player
Patrick is a player

Runyan looked good as a rookie
Meyer is a second round center. Should be a sure pick.

That's 5 guys.

Bakhtiari will be back. That's our 6th guy.

Hansen, Stepaniak, Newman and Vanlanen... We should get one out of those 4 picks.

Some of it is development but we should have 6 or 7 decent OL. We've spent 6 draft picks in the last two years on OL. It's draft picks so which ones step forward is unknown at this time. But they shouldn't all flop either.

Jaire
07-20-2021, 12:38 AM
Too much hand wringing.

AR got the ball out much quicker last year. He will get it out quick if need be. Also, I expect all the other rooms (besides OL at first) to improve: rbs may stay the same. This team is stacked. The cupboards were really empty a few years ago. Not many holes on the team and depth in a lot of rooms.

RashanGary
07-20-2021, 01:41 PM
Too much hand wringing.

AR got the ball out much quicker last year. He will get it out quick if need be. Also, I expect all the other rooms (besides OL at first) to improve: rbs may stay the same. This team is stacked. The cupboards were really empty a few years ago. Not many holes on the team and depth in a lot of rooms.

There are sure avenues to lessen the blow of an average OL. Injuries are less likely with young guys. They're all under 30 and most significantly under 30.

Injuries aside, the OL looks decent.

Just like last year's Packers and last year's chiefs and last year's everyone, we're hoping for health. Same goes for DL and OLB, WR and running back. It's the NFL. Last year Bakhs injury bit us at the end. It could happen again. Championships are tough.

But yeah, compared.to the rest of.the league, we're in the hunt at an early glance.

But those predicting stumbles have a 31 out of 32 statistical advantage to be right in the end.

RashanGary
07-20-2021, 01:50 PM
I'm a bettor and ill never in the history of ever, I don't care how strong the team looks, bet on a team with even odds to win the SB against 32 other teams. Even the greatest team that's ever entered a season still has injuries to dodge along the way. The worst odds I've ever taken on a team to make it to the SB was two years ago and the chiefs at +600. Even those odds gave me a 6x cushion.

So HH has a point, it's just not a dramatic one. It's more of a common sense point than some shocking reality that no one can see.

As a fan, I'm always hoping for the best though and picturing success. Even if it's unlikely, it's still more fun to hope than to just live in the realism that a championship is unlikely. It's unlikely for the chiefs and buccaneers and 49ers and Packers. It's unlikely even if you could win with any of the 4. Championships are statistically unlikely. If you could pick 10 teams, now you've got something. But even then it's still not even close to a sure thing. One of the other 22 could catch lightning in a bottle. It happens. See the 2010 Packers