PDA

View Full Version : Clay Matthews is the 5th all time post season sack leader

RashanGary
07-02-2021, 10:06 PM
That's a cool stat. There's a reason Claymaker is an all time Packer fan favorite. He has some big moments!

RashanGary
07-02-2021, 10:12 PM
He finished with 91.5 sacks on his career. 125 gets you in the HOF. He was a year or two and some lucky breaks away from making it. He's probably one of the closest to the HOF players we've had in the last 30 years.

red
07-03-2021, 08:18 AM
* roid assisted

Anti-Polar Bear
07-03-2021, 08:49 AM
He finished with 91.5 sacks on his career. 125 gets you in the HOF. He was a year or two and some lucky breaks away from making it. He's probably one of the closest to the HOF players we've had in the last 30 years.

Two of the Claymaker’s prime years were wasted at ILB. Polar Bear couldn’t acquire a bona fide ILB to save a seal’s life. Thompson’s infamous acquisitions include milksops like Ray Thompson, Terrell Manning, Brad Jones, Jake Ryan, Blake Martinez, DJ Smith, Sam Barrington, and, in the immortal words of the great Bob McGinn, the epitome of mediocrity - AJ Hawk (Hawk over Jay Cutler? WTF?)

Meanwhile, Sherman drafted an ALL-PRO in Nick Barnett.

Before y’all had ever heard of the Claymaker, I jotted down the Claymaker on my ingenious 2009 My Mastery Mockery of a Draft.

Here’s what I had to say: Clay Matthews, the third of his name, OLB, USC: 6’4” 250 lbs, 4.6 40. Attacks QBs like a shark chasing after blood. Smart as fuck. Cocky as fuck. Last great white hope.

My pal Nutz hated the Claymaker; didn’t like the Claymaker’s penchant for freelancing. Zool couldn’t shut up about the Claymaker juicing. Rutnstrut thought the Claymaker was injury-prone. Harlan found the Claymaker to be quite handsome.

Fritz
07-04-2021, 02:41 PM
I thought Clay benefitted from being moved inside. His incredible bend-around-the-corner schtick was gone by then, and he had a shorter path to the quarterback.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-04-2021, 03:51 PM
I thought Clay benefitted from being moved inside. His incredible bend-around-the-corner schtick was gone by then, and he had a shorter path to the quarterback.

Moving arguably the best pass rusher in the NFL to ILB at the height of his prime is a pretty fucked up thing to do. Due to Thompson’s incompetence at finding Mikes and Micks (inside linebackers), Claymaker took one for the team, a move in which he hated more immensely than a young Tebow hated the idea of switching to TE.

red
07-04-2021, 05:46 PM

i thought he was already starting to slide as a pass rusher when they moved him, but i might be remembering things wrong

i do know the move inside was a great move for his career, but at the cost of the sack total