PDA

View Full Version : Official Jordan Love Bandwagon Thread:

Pages : 1 [2]

King Friday
04-25-2023, 11:47 AM
I am expecting 9-10 wins this year

Defense shouldn’t be any worse…and Rodgers barely played better than Russell Wilson last year on paper.

Fritz
04-25-2023, 12:53 PM
I put it at 7 wins this year, and if JLove shows positive growth over the season they could make a big jump to 10-11 wins in 2024.
The roster still has talent - it's a matter of depth, coaching, and filling a few roster holes.

I need to see him play a few games before I'm on the bandwagon. He's going to throw some bad INTs but he's also going to make some good passes as well. The good have to outnumber the bad by a very large margin.
If he sucks they have a high 2024 draft pick to get a new QB, and if the Bears suck even worse (it's possible) they'll have the extra pick from the NYJ to leapfrog CHI for that next elite QB.

Why leapfrog the Bears? Just let them take the next Mitch Trubisky, and you take the other guy.

George Cumby
04-25-2023, 02:51 PM
Not following. What's wrong with the 2023 OL? Bakh, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Njiman is pretty good. GB has consistently had one of the best pass blocking OL, when healthy.

I like our horses, I'm just concerned about injuries.

run pMc
04-25-2023, 03:25 PM
I like our horses, I'm just concerned about injuries.

Gotcha. Yeah, Bakhtiari got better as the season went on, but I think he's got an injury there that will be with him for life and require managing it.
As he ages I think it's going to be a problem, but for this season if the turf doesn't get him he should be ok. The cap space taken up by his contract is a problem in 2024, I think this is his last season with GB.

They have a few players who can play T in a pinch (Jenkins, Tom), but concerns exist re: IOL depth this year and overall next year. If Sean Rhyan can play that solves a problem. (Sorry Jake Hanson, but your performance last year was near-QB killing.)

Merlin
04-28-2023, 02:10 PM
Apparently when your season is on the line and you have to have a first down, you throw deep because it keeps the defense on it's toes.

Which explains why the Packers didn't make the playoffs, Rodgers listened to you as his OC, and apparently did so the entire 2022 season.

Merlin
04-28-2023, 02:12 PM
Sadly, when you disagree with someone, instead of offering a fact based logical answer - you have to call them names.

And I'm the blind piece of shit. :-|

RashanGary
04-29-2023, 09:44 AM
Love is going to have to hang on this year. The only talented players he has to throw to are second year guys and the rest are rookies. Maybe Deguara plays a little more and shows something, but the odds aren’t great on that.

If Love can do just enough to keep hope alive, his second year looks a little more promising. Watson and Doubs in their third years with the two TEs and the slot guy in their second years seems more workable if they pan out for him.

Three years as Rodgers backup, in the same system, gives Love a nice foundation. His physical tools give him a chance. An average OL is better than a lot of young guys get in their first year. But his passing weapons are very inexperienced. I hope he can do enough to get one more chance next year. But the tackle situation needs to get resolved quickly or that might not be ideal either.

King Friday
04-29-2023, 09:50 AM
Love needs a big year from the two RBs this season, and no massive rash of injuries to the skill position starters.

Teamcheez1
05-01-2023, 06:58 PM
Do the Packers exercise the 5th year option on Love?
They have until tomorrow to make the decision. It would guarantee Love $20.27M in salary for 2024.

Joemailman
05-01-2023, 07:22 PM
Do the Packers exercise the 5th year option on Love?
They have until tomorrow to make the decision. It would guarantee Love $20.27M in salary for 2024.

There's some talk they might actually be working on an extension. Imagine it would include performance incentives.

run pMc
05-02-2023, 07:55 AM
If they can't do an extension, they exercise the option.
You don't draft a QB in R1, have him sit 3 years, and trade away Rodgers to not give the guy a chance, and not get a long enough look to know if he's good. $20M for a starting QB is nothing in the NFL, with the way QB contracts are.
If they don't have him under contract next year, what is the plan at QB then? Starting a rookie would be dicey, signing Andy Dalton would be gross.

Joemailman
05-02-2023, 09:02 AM
Report Love has been given an extension through 2024.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Packers and Jordan Love have agreed on a one-year contract extension worth up to $22.5 million, including $13.5 million fully guaranteed, per source.

Fosco33
05-02-2023, 09:14 AM
Did we extend instead of exercising the option as it’s less guaranteed money??

jklowan
05-02-2023, 09:24 AM
Did we extend instead of exercising the option as it’s less guaranteed money??

Yes, they also restructured Savage, hopefully Safety help and a Vet receiver are in the works, although it may be best to wait until cut downs for the vet receiver as not much left in free agency maybe Landry

RashanGary
05-02-2023, 09:44 AM
It’s not much difference than the 5th year option. Love gets a nice chunk of change now. And presumably, the Packers could cut him after this year and save 5M or so. It’s a little less risk than the full 5th year option for the Packers and it’s money up front for Love.

RashanGary
05-02-2023, 09:58 AM
It’s actually a nice compromise. Instead of 20 guaranteed, it’s 13 guaranteed and some up front. It’s a nice meet in the middle for a guy who hasn’t proven anything.

call_me_ishmael
05-02-2023, 10:04 AM
Kind of interesting that Jordan signed that. If he thought he was going to ball out, he took a below market deal. Ultimately it is surprising to me that he signed it and good for the Packers!

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2023, 10:06 AM
Kind of interesting that Jordan signed that. If he thought he was going to ball out, he took a below market deal. Ultimately it is surprising to me that he signed it and good for the Packers!

Not really. I think he's betting on himself. If he performs well, he makes more money upfront and overall vs. his current contract + 5th year option.

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2023, 10:11 AM
If he plays well, he'll make $2.5m more with this deal--with more upfront. If he plays poorly and the Packers go a different direction, I think he loses about $6-7M in this deal. Essentially, he's betting on himself to do well.

RashanGary
05-02-2023, 10:41 AM
If he plays well, he'll make $2.5m more with this deal--with more upfront. If he plays poorly and the Packers go a different direction, I think he loses about $6-7M in this deal. Essentially, he's betting on himself to do well.

The 5th year was more guaranteed than this deal and nearly identical max value if you add the 5th year plus what he was scheduled to make this year. This is absolutely not as good as the 5th year option for Love and it’s all but certain the Packers informed them they were not going to exercise the 5th year option.

If Love declined it and had a great year, he’d make double in 2024. But injuries happen. Hard to say he’s not confident in himself by signing this deal because even if he is confident, injury is a risk and that’s a reason to sign this deal.

In the end, Love gives up the chance to make 20 extra million in 2024 by signing this deal, but he gets a lot of money up front so he’s secure even if the worst happens.

It makes sense for both sides, but if Love was really betting on himself in the biggest way, he woulda said nope, and got a lot more next year.

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2023, 10:48 AM
The 5th year was more guaranteed than this deal and nearly identical max value if you add the 5th year plus what he was scheduled to make this year. This is absolutely not as good as the 5th year option for Love and it’s all but certain the Packers informed them they were not going to exercise the 5th year option.

If Love declined it and had a great year, he’d make double in 2024. But injuries happen. Hard to say he’s not confident in himself by signing this deal because even if he is confident, injury is a risk and that’s a reason to sign this deal.

In the end, Love gives up the chance to make 20 extra million in 2024 by signing this deal, but he gets a lot of money up front so he’s secure even if the worst happens.

It makes sense for both sides, but if Love was really betting on himself in the biggest way, he woulda said nope, and got a lot more next year.

I've seen varying reports on what the total money would be for each deal? Initially, they were saying he would make $2M more with this deal.

RashanGary
05-02-2023, 10:55 AM
He was scheduled for 2.5 base. So they added a max of 20 for the second year. Best case it’s 5th year option money. But the 5th year would have been fully guaranteed. This is definitely not better than the 5th year option for him and I’m certain they informed him they were not exercising that because there is absolutely no benefit to this deal over the 5th for him.

run pMc
05-02-2023, 11:29 AM
Seems like a good deal for both sides -- gives team that extra year to figure out their QB situation, and gives Love a some more upfront money while betting on himself.

There are currently zero quarterbacks in the NFL other than Love who have a contract that pays between $10 million and $24 million on average per year.
per APC

Haven't seen anything re: Savage yet, that would be interesting. They are clearing cap space for something.

Fritz
05-02-2023, 11:32 AM

And if he does play well, he knows he's going to have the Packers either re-negotiate next offseason or risk losing him. Not a bad deal for either side.

red
05-02-2023, 11:43 AM
why in the fuck would we do this?

we didn't have to pick up his 5th year option until after next season

we just threw away the last advantage to having a rookie QB

just dumb IMO

gutey is way in over his head

Joemailman
05-02-2023, 11:45 AM
why in the fuck would we do this?

we didn't have to pick up his 5th year option until after next season

we just threw away the last advantage to having a rookie QB

just dumb IMO

gutey is way in over his head

No. They had to pick up his 5th year option today.

red
05-02-2023, 11:46 AM
No. They had to pick up his 5th year option today.

oh, the story did say that in the next line after saying they gave him a new deal

its my right as an american to vent without knowing any facts

Joemailman
05-02-2023, 11:52 AM
oh, the story did say that in the next line after saying they gave him a new deal

https://media2.giphy.com/media/IyVBsIiRGhaso/200.webp?cid=ecf05e47v5e9vgomjdj66hnn38weuimk36b81 1nhlpou56mi&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200.webp&ct=g

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2023, 12:22 PM
He was scheduled for 2.5 base. So they added a max of 20 for the second year. Best case it’s 5th year option money. But the 5th year would have been fully guaranteed. This is definitely not better than the 5th year option for him and I’m certain they informed him they were not exercising that because there is absolutely no benefit to this deal over the 5th for him.

I may be misreading the terms. The extension was $22.5m, but that doesn't include what he gets this year in a restructure, so that would be $22.5m + 2023 salary. Plus, he would get more upfront money--which has value. His base for this year is $2.3m and the 5th year option would be $20.2m, so total of $22.5m max on the old deal.

Sparkey
05-02-2023, 01:19 PM
I may be misreading the terms. The extension was $22.5m, but that doesn't include what he gets this year in a restructure, so that would be $22.5m + 2023 salary. Plus, he would get more upfront money--which has value. His base for this year is $2.3m and the 5th year option would be $20.2m, so total of $22.5m max on the old deal.

Last I heard, the new contract contained a 13.5 million signing bonus. 6.5 million base in 24 and 2.5 million xtra in earnable incentives.

Joemailman
05-02-2023, 02:02 PM
Last I heard, the new contract contained a 13.5 million signing bonus. 6.5 million base in 24 and 2.5 million xtra in earnable incentives.

Which means his cap hit is more in 2023 than it would have been. It's offset, more or less, by the restructure they did with Darnell Savage.

texaspackerbacker
05-02-2023, 02:13 PM
It sounds like they're not giving up on Savage - planning on a bigger role for him next year. As for Love, obviously they aren't gonna just let go of him. It sounds, though, like they aren't confident enough to lock him up beyond next season and the season after. If he doesn't show enough, he'll be gone after that, but if he does come through, he'll probably be damn expensive to keep after that. I suppose, this way is the middle ground.

For those who don't believe the cap can be handled, that's what this is - the Savage thing and the Love thing. It actually woulda been cheaper cap-wise to long term Love now, but then they'd be commited long term.

MadScientist
05-02-2023, 04:43 PM
Besides giving the Packers dome protection, it's good that Love signed this because it shows he is confident enough to bet on himself.

Joemailman
05-02-2023, 04:56 PM
Besides giving the Packers dome protection, it's good that Love signed this because it shows he is confident enough to bet on himself.

Packers will never build a dome. :razz:

sharpe1027
05-02-2023, 05:16 PM
For those who don't believe the cap can be handled

Narrator: nobody believes that cap can't be manipulated

RashanGary
05-02-2023, 08:59 PM

Ok, maybe. I was seeing it the other way. I wasn’t seeing a one year 22.5 extension, I was seeing a two year 22.5 total and I was totally baffled how everyone was adding that up as more money. If they add on one year and 22.5 more, it’s a little different.

run pMc
05-03-2023, 07:39 AM
Which means his cap hit is more in 2023 than it would have been. It's offset, more or less, by the restructure they did with Darnell Savage.
Yes.

It sounds like they're not giving up on Savage - planning on a bigger role for him next year.
Giving up? He's still on his 5th year option and they aren't extending him. They likely added void year(s) which will hit the cap next year if he's not resigned. The door's not closed to Savage coming back, but he's not a great fit in Barry's scheme and hasn't really improved since Years 1 & 2. He'll get first crack at starting as a safety simple because they don't have anyone better.

This is Green Bay getting creative to cook their cap even more. I don't know if they end up with any additional room this year, though. Seems like it's a way to keep JLove around without the 5th year option and all that guaranteed money. They'll need a QB in 2024 so it makes some sense.

texaspackerbacker
05-03-2023, 08:21 AM
True, but they coulda just cut him if they thought he was total crap. They didn't, so they don't.

MadScientist
05-03-2023, 12:06 PM
True, but they coulda just cut him if they thought he was total crap. They didn't, so they don't.

Fifth year options for first round picks are fully guaranteed.

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2023, 06:52 PM
Field Yates
@FieldYates

Signing bonus: $8,788,765
2023 base salary: $1.01M (down from $2,298,665)
2023 escalators: Up to $9M (which would be added to his 2024 base salary)

2024 salary: $5.5M (fully guaranteed)
2024 workout bonus: $500K

Love gets $14.3m upfront + $1M for his 2023 salary. If things go well, he can make close to $25m over the 2 years--which is up from the $22.5m he would have made without the extension.

RashanGary
05-03-2023, 10:41 PM
Love gets $14.3m upfront + $1M for his 2023 salary. If things go well, he can make close to $25m over the 2 years--which is up from the $22.5m he would have made without the extension.

Yeah. It’s not a bad deal. Gives him a chance to prove himself and the Packers a chance to get out if he stinks it up.

Bretsky
05-03-2023, 11:28 PM
Yeah. It’s not a bad deal. Gives him a chance to prove himself and the Packers a chance to get out if he stinks it up.

It's honestly a brilliant deal by Gute and makes sense for the Love Machine as well

Fritz
05-04-2023, 07:18 AM
It's honestly a brilliant deal by Gute and makes sense for the Love Machine as well

I saw a list of the first-rounders from Love’s draft year, telling which players had or hadn’t had their fifth-year options picked up. Surprising number of guys did not have them picked up, especially at the end of the first round (though of course Ayiuk and Jefferson did). It really was not a great first-round pool of talent. Puts the Love pick into perspective.

texaspackerbacker
05-04-2023, 07:37 AM
As I said, it's the middle ground between not picking up the 5th year option - which is about the same thing as cutting him in degree of interest - and signing him to a big long term contract - which would be the ultimate confidence. If he is great or at least good, it will cost the Packers more when the time comes for a long term contract, but as was said, if he stinks it up, they're not commiting as much. I would agree, the deal makes sense.

RashanGary
05-04-2023, 07:42 AM
Packer fans don’t come together on much, but this pick gets near unanimous approval. The biggest gripe is that the Packers clearly aren’t confident enough in Love to sign him to a long term deal and Love isn’t confident enough in himself to decline this deal and get a bigger one sooner.

ThunderDan
05-04-2023, 09:47 AM
Packer fans don’t come together on much, but this pick gets near unanimous approval. The biggest gripe is that the Packers clearly aren’t confident enough in Love to sign him to a long term deal and Love isn’t confident enough in himself to decline this deal and get a bigger one sooner.

That isn't necessarily true.

Why would you sign Love to a long term deal at this point? There is no need to. He is under contract for 2023 and 2024 seasons.

We didn't sign ARod to a long term deal once we shipped BF off. The Packers waited until the end of October 2008 to give ARod his extension and new contract.

And the line about Love not having enough confidence is crap. Love just got an 11% raise over the two years and if he plays well hits the Jackpot!

If Love tells the Packers to shove the contract, the Packers would have exercised the 5th year option. If Love had a breakout year and still plays hardball; all the Packers would have to do is tag him and they have him for 2025 also.

The Packers control Love for the next 3 years no matter how he plays.

King Friday
05-04-2023, 12:30 PM
The deal is a fabulous move for the Packers, giving them far more control over Love in upcoming years. For that, Love gets extra cash now up front and the opportunity to earn a big time deal in the near future if he plays well.

Fritz
05-04-2023, 12:44 PM
The deal is a fabulous move for the Packers, giving them far more control over Love in upcoming years. For that, Love gets extra cash now up front and the opportunity to earn a big time deal in the near future if he plays well.

I am SO SICK of all this drama around Jordan Love. Trade him now!

NewsBruin
05-04-2023, 01:19 PM
By extending Jordan now, it splits the cap hit to some this year and some the next. Jordan gets his dinner a little early, and the Packers don't have to put all $22M on the 2024 cap. I guess that's "kicking the can back to us."

I don't think there's a tremendous amount of savings if we had to cut Jordan (we'd have the signing bonus accelerate to this year if he craps the bed), but it's some money he wouldn't get, which is a little bit of motivation. And if we had to cut him, we'd be paying someone else to start, so that's a pretty high bar to want to get rid of him. If we got rid of him this year, we'd have 3 starting QBs on our cap expense.

bobblehead
05-04-2023, 01:36 PM
It sounds like they're not giving up on Savage - planning on a bigger role for him next year. As for Love, obviously they aren't gonna just let go of him. It sounds, though, like they aren't confident enough to lock him up beyond next season and the season after. If he doesn't show enough, he'll be gone after that, but if he does come through, he'll probably be damn expensive to keep after that. I suppose, this way is the middle ground.

For those who don't believe the cap can be handled, that's what this is - the Savage thing and the Love thing. It actually woulda been cheaper cap-wise to long term Love now, but then they'd be commited long term.

Tex, we have reached the point where we are operating within the current cap. All the "moves" they make now are to pay for dead money from the "moves" they made last few years. And that will continue until they stop making moves.

call_me_ishmael
05-04-2023, 01:52 PM

How do they get far more control? I think the level of control is the same?

NewsBruin
05-04-2023, 04:09 PM
How do they get far more control? I think the level of control is the same?

I agree with you. Maybe there's the small small advantage that they could give him another extension next season, rather than waiting for a fifth-year option to clear.

texaspackerbacker
05-04-2023, 05:51 PM
Tex, we have reached the point where we are operating within the current cap. All the "moves" they make now are to pay for dead money from the "moves" they made last few years. And that will continue until they stop making moves.

That's true right up until there's a good reason for it not to be - a free agent they want to sign, one of our own we need to keep, etc. Then it's back to doing whatever needs to be done.

run pMc
05-05-2023, 10:58 AM
Get ready for some throws this year that go when the receiver isn't. Dropped passes and miscommunications happen with young players.
https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/how-young-are-packers-receivers-heres-the-answer

That said, there's a lot of upside for the young WR/TE group.

Joemailman
05-05-2023, 11:30 AM
Get ready for some throws this year that go when the receiver isn't. Dropped passes and miscommunications happen with young players.
https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/how-young-are-packers-receivers-heres-the-answer

That said, there's a lot of upside for the young WR/TE group.

On the flip side, the offense might be a little easier to learn for the young receivers. Won't have to learn all of Rodgers' infamous hand signals. Not as many plays being changed at the last second at the line of scrimmage. The onus will be on MLF with his play calling to avoid putting the offense in a bad matchup, which Rodgers could often get them out of with an audible.

run pMc
05-05-2023, 01:38 PM
Agree. I doubt there will be the "can't work with most rookies because I can't trust them" thing that it seemed like Rodgers had. Can impact the production if not the confidence of a young player. Jordan Love has probably thrown to Deguara more than AR.
It will definitely be on MLF to scheme favorable matchups and also to simplify things for some of the players. The TE position is notoriously tough because they have to know the offense better than anyone except the QB.

Joemailman
05-30-2023, 06:18 PM
Todd McShay's comments on Love prior to 2020 draft. Starts at 1:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErHghBkacFU

Fritz
05-31-2023, 08:38 AM
If Jordan Love can be even close to Herbert and not as injury-prone as Tua, he'll be okay. I won't even ask him to be as good as Burrows.

MadScientist
06-09-2023, 02:57 AM
Kurt Warner does an excellent breakdown of Love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b49bs4VJufY&pp=ygUXa3VydCB3YXJuZXIgam9yZGFuIGxvdmU%3D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4zSWnVYO68&pp=ygUXa3VydCB3YXJuZXIgam9yZGFuIGxvdmU%3D

Takeaways:
Love is reading his keys correctly and decisively for the most part.
His throws are accurate.

Occasionally, he forces when he shouldn't.
His deep balls didn't have enough air to allow the receiver to adjust. Kurt thinks it's a footwork issue.

run pMc
06-14-2023, 05:02 PM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/6/14/23760750/packers-film-room-jordan-love-2022-philadelphia-eagles-aaron-rodgers-darius-slay-christian-watson

Will be interesting to see how he does over several games. He's made progress since his rookie year for sure, but it obviously remains to be seen if he is GB's next franchise QB.

bobblehead
06-17-2023, 02:30 PM
If Jordan Love can be even close to Herbert and not as injury-prone as Tua, he'll be okay. I won't even ask him to be as good as Burrows.

Burrow and Maholmes will be waging war in the AFC for the next decade. He is as real as they come. Poor Josh Allen and bills fans. I don't see an Owl in their future.

George Cumby
01-08-2024, 08:44 AM
Other than Skin, is anyone NOT on board?

Sparkey
01-08-2024, 09:24 AM
Russell Wilson in the third round was more luck than anything else when he turned out to be "NFL-ready". Ditto that to some extent with Mahomes, who of course, was drafted after a couple other seemingly more polished QBs. The best example of all, though, was overlooked: Ol' Jerry Jones picking up Dak Prescott in the 4th after a lot of people expected him to use a first round pick on a QB.

Call it drafting skill or good or bad luck in each of these cases as well as in the many busts, it is far from an exact science to snag a successful pro QB based on what he did in college.

Bottom line, it was monumentally STUPID to move up in the first round to draft Love - for reasons way beyond the most obvious one, still having the GOAT who will still be good for many more years.

How quickly minds change.............

Sparkey
01-08-2024, 09:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QNEf9oGw8o

Fritz
01-08-2024, 09:39 AM
The Captain was one strange ranger.

ThunderDan
01-08-2024, 09:46 AM
I am positive if it had went down in your bizarro world scenario that would mean Rodgers wasn’t a shitty human being. It will also mean he probably talks to his parents too right? Since we are pretending. It would mean he encouraged his teammates in a constructive manner when they ran the wrong route instead of rolling his eyes like a female. But to indulge you let’s say he wasn’t a complete dbag. Yeah things are just peachy at Lambeau today.

Damn he sounds like a swell guy of you say the complete opposite of what he really is!!

So what is your stupid ass point? Don’t you live in reality? Oh wait you are the moron who blindly follow things just because they fall in line with his beliefs. What a stupid mfer you are. Wish I could get you over here with some skank bitches that would have you buy them dope all night for sex then rob you in the morning. Then we could see how Good and Normal you really are.

Just looking back in this thread. This post is an All-Time Great for Packerrats.

Sparkey
01-08-2024, 11:03 AM
Just looking back in this thread. This post is an All-Time Great for Packerrats.

https://packerrats.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by MadtownPacker https://packerrats.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://packerrats.com/showthread.php?p=1094682#post1094682)
I am positive if it had went down in your bizarro world scenario that would mean Rodgers wasn’t a shitty human being. It will also mean he probably talks to his parents too right? Since we are pretending. It would mean he encouraged his teammates in a constructive manner when they ran the wrong route instead of rolling his eyes like a female. But to indulge you let’s say he wasn’t a complete dbag. Yeah things are just peachy at Lambeau today.

Damn he sounds like a swell guy of you say the complete opposite of what he really is!!

So what is your stupid ass point? Don’t you live in reality? Oh wait you are the moron who blindly follow things just because they fall in line with his beliefs. What a stupid mfer you are. Wish I could get you over here with some skank bitches that would have you buy them dope all night for sex then rob you in the morning. Then we could see how Good and Normal you really are.

There should be a Rats Posting Hall of Fame and then of Shame.

Has to be a minimum 2 year old post and put up for voting on by all rats. It could be priceless! This one sure is!!!

MadtownPacker
01-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Damn that’s some blind rage, what was I even pissed about? :lol:

call_me_ishmael
01-08-2024, 02:01 PM
Other than Skin, is anyone NOT on board?

It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up not being a long term starter but right now he looks like he's going to be a good player.

bobblehead
01-08-2024, 02:07 PM
There should be a Rats Posting Hall of Fame and then of Shame.

Has to be a minimum 2 year old post and put up for voting on by all rats. It could be priceless! This one sure is!!!

I'm quite sure I can man some spots on both lists.....as can most of us.

bobblehead
01-08-2024, 02:22 PM
I can't say I WANT Love to flop - he's a Packer after all, but even if he was as good or better than any of ya'all dream he could be, he would NOT be as good as Rodgers, not now, not 3-4 years from now, probably not 5-7 or even more years from now. Virtually nobody would be. If Love looks even a little bit good, certain dumbasses are inevitably gonna be whining about moving on from Rodgers, and it might push Gutekunst in that idiotic direction too. It's a rotten depressing situation any way you look at it.

What I expect in this game is that Love will be ok, maybe even borderline good, but it won't be enough for the Packers to win even against a team that is getting on the downside like K.C. Why then could the Cowboys for example go on the road and win against the Vikings with Cooper Rush instead of Dak? Because the Cowboys are a lot more talented team overall than the Packers outside of the QB and because as good as Dak is, he is still way short of Aaron Rodgers.

2 years later he is better than Rodgers 2 most recent seasons. In conclusion you were wrong. And yes, I know you are glad Love is looking good.

bobblehead
01-08-2024, 02:35 PM

Red, sometimes you just nail a gem of a post.

'Merica....fuck yea!!!

texaspackerbacker
01-08-2024, 02:40 PM
hahahahaha If that's what floats your boat. If all ya'll can do is go back and dig up my old posts, you're pretty pathetic. I said a couple weeks ago I was wrong about how good Love would be and how soon. The Rodgers haters - which inexplicably there are a lot of in here, like to whine about how pushing him out was a great thing. I don't know whether Gutekunst was such a genius that he was fairly sure Love would turn out to be as great as he is getting to be or not. What I still stand by, though, was that Rodgers would have been great for 3-5 or more years. I'm fairly sure he still will be. Would he have messed up his Achilles if he still was with the Packers? It's a stretch to say either yes or no about that. Would the Packers have done better than 9-8 this year with a healthy Rodgers? I say probably yes, but I'd concede that's debatable.

What I advocated several times was to keep Rodgers and find a way to keep Love too. THAT would have maximized things both short and long term, although admittedly it wouldn't have been easy to do.

Here we are on the brink of the playoffs, and the usual suspects of whiny piss ants are nipping at my heels hahahaha. How many of ya'all were all in on Love from the beginning? How many of ya'all hopped on the Love Train as early as I did?

MadtownPacker
01-08-2024, 03:12 PM
I wanted to see Love as the starter after this happened:

https://youtu.be/iu-xeb0BF5M?si=DUMZkxl_QBvGzzHx

Sparkey
01-08-2024, 03:14 PM
I'm quite sure I can man some spots on both lists.....as can most of us.

No doubt I would have a spot.

RashanGary
01-08-2024, 07:18 PM
I was late on Rodgers. I’ll be late on love too.

Always the dumb ass, smh.

I always be thing the odds are against guys. And bam, they pan out.

BrokenArrow
01-10-2024, 08:40 AM
Would the Packers have done better than 9-8 this year with a healthy Rodgers? I say probably yes, but I'd concede that's debatable.

Problem is Rodgers would have insisted on us keeping Cobb and Lazard. You would have had Wicks and Reed #5 and #6 on the depth chart and there's no way either of them would have more than 15-20 catches. Those guys might have fallen through the cracks while he almost exclusively threw to the other 4 guys whenever possible.

ThunderDan
01-10-2024, 08:55 AM
Problem is Rodgers would have insisted on us keeping Cobb and Lazard. You would have had Wicks and Reed #5 and #6 on the depth chart and there's no way either of them would have more than 15-20 catches. Those guys might have fallen through the cracks while he almost exclusively threw to the other 4 guys whenever possible.

He also wouldn't have involved Musgraves or Kraft like Love did.

Joemailman
01-10-2024, 09:06 AM
Just compare the pass charts of Rodgers in 2022 and Love in 2023 in Week 18. Rodgers conceded the middle of the field to the defense. Love attacked every area of the field.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/static-charts/900/pass-chart_ROD339293_2022-REG-18_1673288778687.jpeg
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/static-charts/900/pass-chart_LOV130776_2023-REG-18_1704672297957.jpeg

call_me_ishmael
01-10-2024, 10:11 AM
Wow, the difference there is stark. Even if JLo isnt the long term guy, I think it was just time.

Joemailman
01-10-2024, 11:16 AM
2nd week in a row for Love.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDfwubbXYAA3Arp?format=jpg&name=small

Upnorth
01-10-2024, 11:38 AM
Getting hit at the right time can mean a deep run.

Love Reed kraft all smoking hot right now.

I'm at the point of thinking this band wagon is going to be a wagon train

RashanGary
01-10-2024, 12:26 PM
Love train baby!

I just paid for qb school patreon. JT was beside himself on the 9 route to the left sideline in the 4th quarter to reed when he almost went out of bounds. He said that’s as good of a throw as you’ll ever see, anywhere. He’s also starting to come around to Love’s fade away. He was like battling with himself whether it’s ok or not, where in the past he was dead against it. Now he’s saying, “well, he’s good at it, I guess if you can do it” one minute and then, “it’s probably not going to work the next time” the next minute. But he’s starting to change his tune and just recognize that Love is really really good fading away. And that’s what I’ve been saying. It works. Damn near every time. So why not. It keeps him out of harms way and there’s no loss. It’s just one of the things that makes Love special. Mahommes has a few of those too, Favre did, Rodgers did. Great ones can do things other guys can’t.

Fritz
01-10-2024, 12:59 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsYOAIR4L_w

It's the Love Train, baby!

KYPack
01-10-2024, 01:18 PM
Damn that’s some blind rage, what was I even pissed about? :lol:

Tex was talking shit about Rodgers and it got around to the infamous "autograph incident". This lit your fuse and you went off on him. You then posted this classic. It ought to be engraved in granite and placed at the entrance of PackerRats.

This whole thread is a classic in itself.

Fritz
01-10-2024, 01:22 PM

I assume you mean "getting hot" at the right time and not "getting hit."

If that's the case, then I have to agree. And the offense has gone from this, after the Denver game:

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/b11d8b9b-0a7f-4076-85ec-b6e6303fc7e0/dg2bwkc-b9bdd99c-a485-44d0-a455-4a08cb8a7597.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJ IUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQz NzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZT BkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6 W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2IxMWQ4YjliLTBhN2YtNDA3Ni04NW VjLWI2ZTYzMDNmYzdlMFwvZGcyYndrYy1iOWJkZDk5Yy1hNDg1 LTQ0ZDAtYTQ1NS00YTA4Y2I4YTc1OTcuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIj pbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.r_3eu72K rNhg8ZDy5w27JeRo0XdmTZcWJIrrXcx1ygc

To this:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/21/1f/d8/211fd8054e04842b94b2418a2519d85f.jpg

Yup. They got hot at the right time.

Upnorth
01-10-2024, 01:37 PM
I assume you mean "getting hot" at the right time and not "getting hit."

If that's the case, then I have to agree. And the offense has gone from this, after the Denver game:

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/b11d8b9b-0a7f-4076-85ec-b6e6303fc7e0/dg2bwkc-b9bdd99c-a485-44d0-a455-4a08cb8a7597.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJ IUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQz NzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZT BkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6 W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2IxMWQ4YjliLTBhN2YtNDA3Ni04NW VjLWI2ZTYzMDNmYzdlMFwvZGcyYndrYy1iOWJkZDk5Yy1hNDg1 LTQ0ZDAtYTQ1NS00YTA4Y2I4YTc1OTcuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIj pbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.r_3eu72K rNhg8ZDy5w27JeRo0XdmTZcWJIrrXcx1ygc

To this:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/21/1f/d8/211fd8054e04842b94b2418a2519d85f.jpg

Yup. They got hot at the right time.

You are a great translator fritz

run pMc
01-10-2024, 04:09 PM
Wow, the difference there is stark. Even if JLo isnt the long term guy, I think it was just time.

It was time. Rodgers had 3 completions over 10 yards, and a lot very close to the LOS. That was a common theme last year, and a trend from prior seasons.
The 2022 receivers weren't all that great last year, but I'm not sure Rodgers did them many favors.

Love has been objectively better this year than Rodgers was last year.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RodgAa00/gamelog/2022/
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LoveJo03/gamelog/2023/

Nonetheless, I'm resisting jumping on the bandwagon until about Week 4 next season. It's trending in the right direction though.

George Cumby
01-15-2024, 09:28 PM
https://www.golongtd.com/p/jordan-love-and-his-gm-send-a-message?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=222258&post_id=140701587&utm_campaign=email-post-title&isFreemail=false&r=aravn&utm_medium=email

smuggler
01-15-2024, 09:53 PM
Of course Love has been better, but you can't separate a QB from his receivers. Rodgers, objectively, had drastically fewer open receivers last year than Love this year. You can't really account for that when comparing one season's numbers to the next.

sharpe1027
01-16-2024, 07:39 AM
Of course Love has been better, but you can't separate a QB from his receivers. Rodgers, objectively, had drastically fewer open receivers last year than Love this year. You can't really account for that when comparing one season's numbers to the next.

Lazard and Cobb.

Joemailman
01-16-2024, 07:52 AM

Perhaps Rodgers would have had more open receivers if he had just embraced MLF's offense instead of insisting on changing so many plays at the line and insisting receivers learn his hand signals before they can really be involved in the offense.

sharpe1027
01-16-2024, 08:02 AM
Perhaps Rodgers would have had more open receivers if he had just embraced MLF's offense instead of insisting on changing so many plays at the line and insisting receivers learn his hand signals before they can really be involved in the offense.

Or thrown over the middle.

MadtownPacker
01-16-2024, 09:52 AM
Or thrown over the middle.
Huh! That panocha didn’t like risking his stats did he. Stunted team growth on offense the last 5 years.

MadScientist
01-16-2024, 10:09 AM

True, but he might also have had some open receivers if Gute invested some draft capital on receivers who could run before 2022.

Sparkey
01-16-2024, 11:58 AM
True, but he might also have had some open receivers if Gute invested some draft capital on receivers who could run before 2022.

If only they drafted Tee Higgins instead of Jordan Love...

run pMc
01-16-2024, 02:43 PM
Huh! That panocha didn’t like risking his stats did he. Stunted team growth on offense the last 5 years.

Back in the day Rodgers didn't avoid the MOF as much as later years.

Rodgers got pretty obsessed with the don't throw interceptions idea - which isn't a bad idea, but once he was the far and away leader in Int% for QB, I think he went some length to protect that record.
Throws over the middle are more likely to get picked than sideline throws. They can be easier throws if you read the coverage properly, and give good opportunities for YAC.

Sideline shots aren't very high percentage, but Rodgers made up for that with stupid WR screens and having insane accuracy.

Personally I understand being careful with turnovers and all, but you have to force a defense to cover the entire field.
On offense you want to expand the space a team has to defend, on defense you want to shrink it.

Having better talent at WR would certainly help - but until last year he didn't exactly have a barren cupboard. He pushed Gute to trade for guys like Cobb or elevate Lazard to WR2. I agree they didn't give him as much help as he should have had but I think there's a sense that he would have ignored it in favor of spamming Adams with throws.

run pMc
01-16-2024, 02:54 PM

LOL this was me, along with liking Jalen Hurts better than Jordan Love.
Higgins is a good player and will do well for himself in FA, he also would have really helped out GB's passing game during the 13-3 years.

That said, I can't think of a QB drafted after 2020 who GB would have been able to draft with Love's level of arm talent.
Brock Purdy is good but his arm is not as good as Love's.

I always felt like GB took a QB a year too early, I was wrong. I am this close to being on the bandwagon.

I'll say this much: having 3 consecutive above average QBs is more than a statistical anomaly. At this point you have to assume it is related to not having an owner forcing the coaches to play a draft pick before they are ready. Taking a prospect with the tools and giving them time to refine and improve their game must have some benefits. Look at the CAR owner -- overruling people to trade for Bryce Young and then pushing into a bad situation will set them back for years and propel the Bears. :(

SudsMcBucky
01-16-2024, 02:59 PM

When I saw the Packers traded up in that draft, I actually thought they were going to draft Patrick Queen.

Upnorth
04-15-2024, 09:21 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10116788-packers-rumors-jordan-love-expected-to-sign-contract-to-put-him-among-top-10-nfl-qbs?utm_medium=email&lid=nhym4lcyn4q7

It's bleacher report, but top 10 contract would be ridiculously cheap. Top 3 is what I worried.

Fritz
04-15-2024, 02:20 PM
As a fan, you'd like to see him go more toward that Tom Brady road, where you sign a good deal but one that allows the team to continue to pay other positions. I mean, if you're getting 30 million a year, holy cow, how much do you really need? Throw a few State Farm commercials in there (though all the white people will get him mixed up with Jake from State Farm), and you're set for life.

NewsBruin
04-15-2024, 06:42 PM
As a fan, you'd like to see him go more toward that Tom Brady road, where you sign a good deal but one that allows the team to continue to pay other positions.

As a GM, you want to do the Brady/Michael Jordan thing where you convince them to take less money for the good of the team and then never sign any expensive free agents.

bobblehead
04-17-2024, 03:16 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10116788-packers-rumors-jordan-love-expected-to-sign-contract-to-put-him-among-top-10-nfl-qbs?utm_medium=email&lid=nhym4lcyn4q7

It's bleacher report, but top 10 contract would be ridiculously cheap. Top 3 is what I worried.

Top 10 for 5 years would be perfect. Would be cap fair the entire duration of the deal. Consider Love only showed us half a season so far and I think its fair for both sides.

RashanGary
04-17-2024, 06:02 PM
Top 10 for 5 years would be perfect. Would be cap fair the entire duration of the deal. Consider Love only showed us half a season so far and I think its fair for both sides.

Top 10 is the bottom end of fair. Top 3 is the top end of fair. Top 6-7 seems like middle ground to me.

RashanGary
04-17-2024, 06:05 PM
Less than Joe Burrow (55 M)
More than Daniel Jones (40M)

47M per year, 6th highest paid QB in the league. Take it to the bank.

Fritz
04-17-2024, 06:47 PM
As a GM, you want to do the Brady/Michael Jordan thing where you convince them to take less money for the good of the team and then never sign any expensive free agents.

Maybe Ted would've done that, but I don't think Guter would. He seems okay with signing expensive free agents to make the team better, when it makes sense. There isn't any upside in the NFL to not use the cap space.

MadtownPacker
04-18-2024, 12:01 AM
Less than Joe Burrow (55 M)
More than Daniel Jones (40M)

47M per year, 6th highest paid QB in the league. Take it to the bank.
I like this here. Just throw in some kinda SB escalator clause and we are good.

bobblehead
04-18-2024, 10:19 AM
Top 10 is the bottom end of fair. Top 3 is the top end of fair. Top 6-7 seems like middle ground to me.

I agree it will be top 3 when its done, but do you think Love has proven beyond doubt to be top 3 QB? Maholmes and Burrow are hands downs superior. Then you got some proven guys including MVP winner Lamar Jackson. Josh Allen, Stafford (who you said is a HoF guy). These guys have all proven it for more than a 10 game run. Given the state of things if they give him top 5 money, but only for 4 years (including ripping up this year) it would seem fair to me. But we live in the NFL. Likely he gets 5 years and its the richest deal ever signed.

RashanGary
04-18-2024, 11:21 AM
I agree it will be top 3 when its done, but do you think Love has proven beyond doubt to be top 3 QB? Maholmes and Burrow are hands downs superior. Then you got some proven guys including MVP winner Lamar Jackson. Josh Allen, Stafford (who you said is a HoF guy). These guys have all proven it for more than a 10 game run. Given the state of things if they give him top 5 money, but only for 4 years (including ripping up this year) it would seem fair to me. But we live in the NFL. Likely he gets 5 years and its the richest deal ever signed.

I had a dream last night that Jordan Love signed a deal and I got a notification and was trying to be the first one to report it at packerrats, haha.

Anyway, I don’t think he’s getting top 3. That’s 50M. And I don’t think he’s getting top 10, that’s 40M. Top 6 or 7 makes sense. A little better than Kyler Murray.

RashanGary
04-18-2024, 11:26 AM
The Packers really are trying to keep their cap situation manageable. Jordan Love really is trying to get a guaranteed 70M dollars. Everyone really does see that he only had a 10 game sample.

I don’t know if his team is going to be so stubborn that they can’t bend a percentage point or two.

run pMc
04-18-2024, 12:55 PM
He isn't in top 3 money -- yet. He has things to prove IMO. Somewhere between top 5 and top 10 would be about right, although in 3 years it might look like a bargain. QBs make crazy money.)

Matthew Stafford is a good QB, but he's not a HOF QB. He was a serious stat-padder until he got traded for the Rams and had Cooper Kupp and Aaron Donald bailing him out. I don't think Eli Manning is a HOF QB, even though I think his case is stronger than Stafford's.
Winning a SB doesn't make you a HOF player. (See: Dilfer, Trent; Johnson, Brad; Hostetler, Jeff, etc.)

MadtownPacker
04-19-2024, 02:07 AM
The number one reason to not give him big money is because of such a small sample huh? That’s not really true. Love has been with the team for years, he was drafted for this moment. When the time came to perform, with a lot of pressure, he showed he could do it. Then he showed he could snap out of a funk (very important). Then goes on a tear and if it weren’t for one bad throw at the end he might’ve taken out the Super Bowl runner up in only his second playoff game. A team the last guy couldn’t get past. Would have been a tremendous upset and look forward to the rematch at Lambeau. Could be for home field. Oh yeah, also beat the SB winner.

The team has to pay someone at QB so instead of asking if they should really need to ask why wouldn’t you. Rodgers got his done before he ever won a playoff game. Then he got the fat one after SB win right? The timing is right to do it now in a team friendly way.

Frozen Tundra
04-19-2024, 02:51 AM
The number one reason to not give him big money is because of such a small sample huh? That’s not really true. Love has been with the team for years, he was drafted for this moment. When the time came to perform, with a lot of pressure, he showed he could do it. Then he showed he could snap out of a funk (very important).

Not only that, but something similar... the thing that maybe impressed me the most about Love is that he never let a setback or mistake get into his head. With Favre, and Rodgers, if they made a mistake or even if something just went wrong that wasn't their fault, they'd often carry that into the next snap or couple of snaps. Especially in their younger years. You could see the way it affected their play; they'd try to get it all back on the next down.

But Love? I don't thnk it ever really saw that. He'd come right back under center, and just do what he needed to do - just stick with the plan, wasn't affected at all. Whatever went wrong on the previous snap was just over with; it was in the past, and now the next snap is a chance to do it better.

You can't rattle this man. He seems to have complete confidence in himself, but not in a cocky, arrogant way. It's just that he's got a job to do, and a plan for how to do it, and that's that. You don't see that kind of poise and composure in very many first-year starters.

This kid's the real deal.

RashanGary
04-19-2024, 08:03 AM
The team has to pay someone at QB so instead of asking if they should really need to ask why wouldn’t you. Rodgers got his done before he ever won a playoff game. Then he got the fat one after SB win right? The timing is right to do it now in a team friendly way.

What’s crazy is 47M per year is team friendly. Additionally, he has one year left on an existing deal for 12M or so.

There are a lot of ways it could go, but unless he signs for Joe Burrow proven elite young QB money, it’s going to be a steal when you average in that existing year.

Fritz
04-19-2024, 08:55 AM
What’s crazy is 47M per year is team friendly. Additionally, he has one year left on an existing deal for 12M or so.

There are a lot of ways it could go, but unless he signs for Joe Burrow proven elite young QB money, it’s going to be a steal when you average in that existing year.

That's what I was thinking - that 47 mil for a year is team friendly.

bobblehead
04-19-2024, 11:28 AM
I had a dream last night that Jordan Love signed a deal and I got a notification and was trying to be the first one to report it at packerrats, haha.

Anyway, I don’t think he’s getting top 3. That’s 50M. And I don’t think he’s getting top 10, that’s 40M. Top 6 or 7 makes sense. A little better than Kyler Murray.

My prediction is that it will be the largest contract ever. Each new QB deal seems to work out that way due to rising cap, GMs short lives.

bobblehead
04-19-2024, 11:31 AM
The number one reason to not give him big money is because of such a small sample huh? That’s not really true. Love has been with the team for years, he was drafted for this moment. When the time came to perform, with a lot of pressure, he showed he could do it. Then he showed he could snap out of a funk (very important). Then goes on a tear and if it weren’t for one bad throw at the end he might’ve taken out the Super Bowl runner up in only his second playoff game. A team the last guy couldn’t get past. Would have been a tremendous upset and look forward to the rematch at Lambeau. Could be for home field. Oh yeah, also beat the SB winner.

I'm on the wagon Mad, but I could easily point out 7-8 horrible throw/decisions he made in the last 10 games. The one against SF just happened to get picked off whereas he got somewhat lucky on most of the others. My best guess is that he will be a very good QB as long as we surround him with talent, but I don't think he will ever ascend to a true top 5 QB...and I'll be very happy with a perennial top 10 QB.