PDA

View Full Version : Official 2021 Training Camp Thread

Joemailman
07-23-2021, 09:13 AM
First practice is July 28. Rumors of Rodgers sightings should start soon.

Lots of things to focus on this year:

Love
Who is lining up at LT, assuming Bakhtiari isn't?
How does Josh Myers look?
How do Amari Rodgers and Funchess look?
Does Slaton look like he'll be able to contribute?
Who is getting the most snaps at ILB?
What players(s) are getting reps at star position?
How does Stokes look? Should I be Stoked?

https://cheeseheadtv.com/sites/default/files/screen_shot_2021-07-06_at_2.00.21_pm.png

red
07-23-2021, 01:28 PM
why are we starting so late? aren't some teams already in camp?

Joemailman
07-23-2021, 01:38 PM
why are we starting so late? aren't some teams already in camp?

Rookies are already reporting, but not veterans.

red
07-23-2021, 01:46 PM
Rookies are already reporting, but not veterans.

gotcha

Cheesehead Craig
07-23-2021, 06:14 PM
Also Dallas and Pitts get to start earlier because they are in the HOF game.

Joemailman
07-25-2021, 09:28 PM
Patrick Taylor and Josiah Deguara on PUP list. LB Isaiah McDuffie on NFI list.

smuggler
07-26-2021, 01:34 AM
Hmm... that's not good seeing Deguara on PUP since he was hurt early-ish in 2020. What about Bakh?

Joemailman
07-26-2021, 07:14 AM
Hmm... that's not good seeing Deguara on PUP since he was hurt early-ish in 2020. What about Bakh?

I was thinking the same thing. It's now 10 months since Deguara was injured.

texaspackerbacker
07-26-2021, 09:43 AM
This may turn out to be a good thing. The Packers probably can keep all four TEs, giving Sternberger 6 regular season games to show he ain't a bust. I'd expect Dafney to still be ahead of either Deguara and Sternberger by mid-season.

smuggler
07-26-2021, 10:27 AM
High praise. Dafney made some plays, but if Deguara plays like before his injury, I'd think he's ahead.

HarveyWallbangers
07-26-2021, 10:34 AM
I'm not too concerned about Deguara yet. It's pretty common for a player coming off a torn ACL to be on the PUP list to start the next year. He was injured in week 5, so it's been about 9 1/2 months since his injury. He can be activated from the PUP list at any time. I imagine Bakh will start on the PUP list, as well.

Joemailman
07-27-2021, 02:23 PM
Jason Wilde
@jasonjwilde
·
1m
Randall Cobb’s return to #Packers is real. #NFL source confirms
@chrisbrockman
report that one of Aaron Rodgers’ BFFs is returning. Not done quite yet, as Cobb’s restructuring his deal to make it happen. Cobb also will mentor his protégé Amari Rodgers, reunite with Davante Adams.

Cobb's base salary is guaranteed. Might be turning some of that into signing bonus to lower cap hit this year. Cobb can still play when healthy. Just not sure if he really adds much.

Jaire
07-27-2021, 05:54 PM
Cobb's base salary is guaranteed. Might be turning some of that into signing bonus to lower cap hit this year. Cobb can still play when healthy. Just not sure if he really adds much.

Veteran leadership. Reliable. Last year he had almost 80%catch rate. He will he be more worth the change than in 2018. Amari will take a couple years to develop. Cobb is ready now. In 2018 we had Cobb and some scrubbs for a good bit of the season.

(And I am not worried about cap. Its being suppressed and should jump big time the next 2 years.)

Joemailman
07-28-2021, 08:15 AM
Gutekunst PC at 8:30. https://www.packers.com/video/live-video

RashanGary
07-28-2021, 11:00 AM
The OL could bite us in the ass early. No LT and a rookie center and Runyan (who’s not proven)

Hopefully 12 is ready to adjust to less time to get the ball out.

ThunderDan
07-28-2021, 04:07 PM
Jenkins apparently gets first shot at LT in practice.

Joemailman
07-28-2021, 04:29 PM
Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Dexter Williams with a nice twisting, falling away catch in the back of the end zone against air from Aaron Rodgers. Showing off his hands. Big camp for Dexter.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

De’vondre Campbell and Krys Barnes with the ones at LB.

Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman

First-team OL in team: Jenkins at LT, then Runyan, Myers, Patrick and Turner from left to right. Campbell and Barnes in base at ILB. Stokes in for King, who’s on NFI.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Malik Taylor makes a nice move in the open field against Kabion Ento to get some extra yards.

Bailey Gaither with a very nice route against Ka’Dar but Love chooses to check it down. Gaither had nice separation on a deep comeback route.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Starting defense:

Lowry, Clark, Lancaster
Preston, Barnes, Campbell, Gary
Alexander, Sullivan, Stokes
Amos, Savage

Yes that’s 12 but depending on the package those are the starters.

Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood

Kevin King’s appearance on NFI is not expected to be serious, but however long his absence lasts, first-round pick Eric Stokes benefits. Stokes getting first-team reps across Jaire Alexander.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Love throws low for Nauta. Incomplete.

Nice run by Kylin Hill to get to the second level. Amari in motion messed with the defense.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Rodgers w/ an extended conversation with Sternberger while Love was taking reps. Looks like Rodgers was just going over expectations of a play and encouraging him. If there was any question that Rodgers was going to just come in and go through the motions that won’t be the case.

Wes Hodkiewicz
@WesHod

Rodgers hits EQ on deep corner to end zone, quickly met by a cheer from the crowd

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

In addition to starting at ILB, DeVondre Campbell is getting first-team reps on punt coverage and may wind up on other units as well.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Great extended catch from Aaron Jones in red zone who turns and runs in to the end zone. Great play by Jones.

Dillon up the middle for a “touchdown” although the defense obviously not trying to bring him down.

GORGEOUS connection from Love to Amari for a td!!

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Another nice play by Jordan Love to step up in the pocket, buy time and find Kylin Hill near the end zone. Hill was able to wiggle in for a touchdown. Nice stretch by Love here.

Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

First injury scare of training camp. Davante Adams slow to get up after catching a touchdown pass from Aaron Rodgers a red zone period. Walked off under his own power talking to a medical staffer.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Love to Sternberger for an easy touchdown on a bootleg. Sternberger was left wide open. Another Nathaniel Hackett red zone special.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Randy Ramsey makes his presence felt with a Dikembe Mutumbo like rejection of a Jordan Love pass.

Dexter Williams with a touchdown run inside. Nice play by Dexter who has had a nice practice.

Adams back in with the offense after a brief injury scare.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Unless I’ve missed it, the starters all day on the OL have been Jenkins, JRJ, Myers, Patrick, Turner. No sign of Braden or Newman rotating in.

Rashan Gary has had a really nice practice and just beat Elgton Jenkins with a rip move for a would be sack if 12 wasn’t wearing red.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Rodgers to Tonyan for an easy td in red zone. Tight ends continue to be a force in the red zone for this offense. Draft Tonyan in your fantasy league accordingly.

Rodgers to Adams for a touchdown now. Sullivan had no chance on Adams with a quick move to the outside..

Joemailman
07-28-2021, 06:33 PM
Packers are signing OT Dennis Kelly. He has started 47 games in a 9 year career, including all 16 for Tennessee last year.

call_me_ishmael
07-29-2021, 09:53 AM
Prediction: Gooter is probably pretty happy to get an extended look at whats-his-name at left tackle. Even with the new signing I expect they keep the guard there for now. This is year 2 for Bak so it probably wouldn't be too painful to move on if the stud guard can also be a stud tackle. Given the realities of the cap and the Packers situation, it's not hard to connect the dots here down the road.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-29-2021, 10:19 AM
Mailman’s Twitter feed says it all: Sullivan lacks game. A liability. Should be exiled.

I, a shutdown corner in HS who shut down Darren Charles in a game, could cover better that bum.

George Cumby
07-29-2021, 10:40 AM
Mailman’s Twitter feed says it all: Sullivan lacks game. A liability. Should be exiled.

I, a shutdown corner in HS who shut down Darren Charles in a game, could cover better that bum.

This reads so perfunctorily.

You seem to lack the joy, spark and fire you once posted with.

Are you ok?

Jaire
07-29-2021, 10:47 AM
The OL could bite us in the ass early. No LT and a rookie center and Runyan (who’s not proven)

Hopefully 12 is ready to adjust to less time to get the ball out.

Today's presser. MLF said its the deepest OL he has ever had. Kelly helped.

R-E-L-A-X

Fritz
07-29-2021, 11:19 AM

This just in: Shailene Woodley about to get a job offer to join Green Bay's front office.

RashanGary
07-29-2021, 12:15 PM
Today's presser. MLF said its the deepest OL he has ever had. Kelly helped.

R-E-L-A-X

Deep interior OL. I'm not sold on the tackle position. But I'm glad to hear they like those young guys. That's a good sign. Hopefully it helps love light up the preseason if all those guys can play.

George Cumby
07-29-2021, 01:07 PM
This just in: Shailene Woodley about to get a job offer to join Green Bay's front office.

Hahahahahahaha!

George Cumby
07-29-2021, 01:09 PM
Joe's post with all the Twitter posts gives me a lot of optimism for this season and for our future Love life.

RashanGary
07-29-2021, 09:29 PM
I went through the pictures. A guy who looks noticeably stronger at a glance is Allen Lazard. With Tonyan being a legit TE and Lazard being able to do TE things in the blocking game, we should have a hell of a run or pass threat.

Tonyan also looks noticeably jacked up.

I have a feeling our run game is gonna be something special this year

Tony Oday
07-30-2021, 08:25 AM
You won the off-season with this

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2021, 08:58 AM
I will say this. Cobb looked in great shape and quick in the training camp videos. I think he looked better in Texas the last two years than he did in Green Bay his last two years. Maybe that was because of injury and complacency and not age. He seems motivated. ARod and Cobb have talked about this since February, so it looks like Cobb trained hard.

RashanGary
07-30-2021, 10:35 AM
I will say this. Cobb looked in great shape and quick in the training camp videos. I think he looked better in Texas the last two years than he did in Green Bay his last two years. Maybe that was because of injury and complacency and not age. He seems motivated. ARod and Cobb have talked about this since February, so it looks like Cobb trained hard.

Cobb looks a little bigger. Lazard and Tonyan too. We could have our first 5 wide group in a while with Cobb being able to rotate back to running back.

Fritz
07-30-2021, 10:37 AM
You won the off-season with this

...but I just can't win the Super Bowl during the real season.

RashanGary
07-30-2021, 12:19 PM
Jaire Alexander looks a little bigger. I hope it doesn't slow him down any.

Jaire
07-30-2021, 04:25 PM
Deep interior OL. I'm not sold on the tackle position. But I'm glad to hear they like those young guys. That's a good sign. Hopefully it helps love light up the preseason if all those guys can play.

I don't think it's a problem with Kelly. And don't forget Marcedes who is a 6th lineman when they need help. They just need to hold up til Bakh returns.

I'm very excited that they have quality depth and sounds like quality starters developing. It's been so thin for so long. The biggest question will be Myers. I expect a litlle more road grading to begin with to ease them in.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2021, 05:16 PM
...but I just can't win the Super Bowl during the real season.

The super bowl is won in the weight room and climbing the stadium steps until you pass out.

I'm not convinced you have the heart of a champion.

RashanGary
07-31-2021, 03:46 PM
Ben Braden is rotating with Runyan and Lucas Patrick as starting guard. It would be nice to have three starting caliber guards, if that's what that means. Then keep the vet, Kelly, to be a backup tackle to start the season. We might be ok till Bakh returns. Barely ok, but ok none the less

Joemailman
07-31-2021, 10:06 PM
Simon Stepaniak placed on reserve/retired list. He had missed the last 2 practices.

Upnorth
08-01-2021, 09:20 AM
Simon Stepaniak placed on reserve/retired list. He had missed the last 2 practices.

Say he is retiring due to acl injury in his last bowl game. Too bad

Joemailman
08-02-2021, 11:49 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz
@WesHod

Za’Darius Smith still out with the back but he’s on sideline watching early portion of practice

Mike Spofford
@mikespofford

RB Patrick Taylor has come off PUP and is practicing for the first time at #PackersCamp

Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood

Robert Tonyan makes a one-handed catch on a ball thrown behind him in drill work. Draws an approving applause from the fans. On air or not, the guy catches everything.

Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman

Ben Braden getting work with the 1s at right guard during the first team period today. Believe he was at left guard with the 1s last week. Could be a sleeper pick to start.

Wes Hodkiewicz
@WesHod

Royce Newman getting more inside work now with Kelly at RT with twos

Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood

Jordan Love underthrows a deep ball to Juwann Winfree.

The good news: He underthrew it enough to draw a certain DPI on Ka’dar Hollman, who ran into Winfree when he came back for the ball.

Wes Hodkiewicz
@WesHod

Joe Barry is a vibe, man. Literally hopping as defense sets and Rodgers snaps the ball in team. Definitely a different type of DC than what GB has had…maybe ever?

Wes Hodkiewicz
@WesHod

Love gets washed from pocket but hits Chris Blair down the sideline for a TD to end team. Blair was a few steps behind secondary

Wes Hodkiewicz
@WesHod

And now St Brown starts next team period with a great catch on deep ball from Rodgers. Coming across and then came back to the ball

Bill Huber
@BillHuberSI

A roar for Cobb as he catches a crosser and goes the distance

Wes Hodkiewicz
@WesHod

Funchess finds a hole in middle of the field, sits in it. Rodgers climbs pocket and finds him for easy catch and run

Bill Huber
@BillHuberSI

Randy Ramsey down. Needing a lot of help to get off field. He’s OLB 4 at present and a key guy on special teams.

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

Jordan Love’s inconsistency showing up again. Misses some easy completions, but he finished the last two periods with long TD receptions on nice throws.

Aaron Nagler
@AaronNagler

JK Scott working on his directional punting. First two were pretty ugly. Next two are fantastic.

Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman

Jordan Love and Jake Hanson really having trouble with their QB/center exchanges. One was under center, one from the gun. Love then just ran into RG Royce Newman trying to move up in the pocket.

Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood
·
9m
After a big DPI on 3-10 vs. Randall Cobb prolonged #Packers’ 2-minute drive, Darnell Savage Jr. redeemed himself with goal line PBU vs. Robert Tonyan with 7 seconds left to force field goal. Savage gets up and signals no flag on that one.

Bill Huber
@BillHuberSI
·
3m
Crosby hits chip shot “winner” on 2-minute. Drive helped by PI on Savage’s pick. In FG drill, Crosby made 5-8. Misses from 36, 45 and 53..

smuggler
08-02-2021, 12:46 PM
Were we not expecting a uniform announcement today? I thought the new throwback was being released.

bobblehead
08-03-2021, 09:01 AM

Yes, the 10 games he played totaling 441 yards were also impressive. GM Erin is looking good.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2021, 09:42 AM
Yes, the 10 games he played totaling 441 yards were also impressive. GM Erin is looking good.

To be fair, he only played 5 snaps in the 10th game. He's stats pro-rate to close to 800 yards. The Texans had Cooks and Fuller starting (he didn't get suspended until after Cobb was injured) with Coutee also stealing snaps. I'd take close to 800 yards this year out of our 3rd/4th WR. Cobb also had 828 yards in 2019 as a 3rd WR for Dallas. His yards/target of 10.0 and 9.2 the last two years were as good as his first four years with the Packers. His catch % of 79.2 on targets last year was also really good.

MVS has played 16 games in every season and his career high for yards is 690.

bobblehead
08-03-2021, 11:30 AM
To be fair, he only played 5 snaps in the 10th game. He's stats pro-rate to close to 800 yards. The Texans had Cooks and Fuller starting (he didn't get suspended until after Cobb was injured) with Coutee also stealing snaps. I'd take close to 800 yards this year out of our 3rd/4th WR. Cobb also had 828 yards in 2019 as a 3rd WR for Dallas. His yards/target of 10.0 and 9.2 the last two years were as good as his first four years with the Packers. His catch % of 79.2 on targets last year was also really good.

MVS has played 16 games in every season and his career high for yards is 690.

1) MVS was always a project and not a 2nd round pick. 2) MVS had a stellar NFCC game....cuz he was healthy enough to play in it. 3) The most important ability is availability.

I am not looking forward to the 31 year old $8 million dollar man....and I have Cobb in my dynasty league.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2021, 12:39 PM
1) MVS was always a project and not a 2nd round pick. 2) MVS had a stellar NFCC game....cuz he was healthy enough to play in it. 3) The most important ability is availability.

I am not looking forward to the 31 year old $8 million dollar man....and I have Cobb in my dynasty league.

Isn't it $5M since Houston is paying $3M of the contract?

bobblehead
08-04-2021, 08:35 AM

Yes, but he is still overpaid. He is getting $8 million, thus I called him the $8 million man.

Fritz
08-04-2021, 02:53 PM

As I said in another thread, as part of "including" Rodgers in more personnel decisions, I think the team should ask him how his prospective personnel wish-list would fit under the current and future salary caps...

bobblehead
08-05-2021, 09:04 AM
As I said in another thread, as part of "including" Rodgers in more personnel decisions, I think the team should ask him how his prospective personnel wish-list would fit under the current and future salary caps...

Here is the one and only place I "agree" with Rodgers. If I were GM I would ask him which TE/WR he would keep and who he would cut before final cutdowns. I would make it clear I had final say, but I actually would consider who my HOF QB wanted and values in that one area. If he wants cobb I would have not redone the Cobb salary, I would have asked him if he had any opinions on where I should shed the $5 million to keep him. If not, I still have to do it. I hope that where I decide to shed that $5 million is OK with him.

Teamcheez1
08-07-2021, 06:13 PM
Anyone know where I can stream family night?

Bretsky
08-07-2021, 07:50 PM
sorry as I do not

smuggler
08-18-2021, 01:29 PM
Joint practice notes compiled by this Reddit user, with some small formatting changes from me.

Offense:

Royce Newman and Runyan are the starting guards.
Green Bay starts with two runs that go nowhere.
Kylin Hill gets the start with the No. 1 offense, which gives you an idea what they think of him. Aaron Jones only taking part in individuals.
Four plays for the Packers offense and not sure they gained any yards. 3 stuffed runs and a quick pass to Deguara off PA they went nowhere.
Next play Rodgers fires well low to Tonyan on a rollout.
Finally a nice run by Dexter Williams with the backups in.
Benkert fires to Funchess deep who was open by a couple steps. Benkert a bit long but it looked like Funchess struggled to track it a bit. Falls incomplete.
Minor scuffle between Packers OL and Jets D after a nice Hill run. Nothing to make a big deal about though.
Rodgers with a play action quick strike to MVS over the middle. Nice play.
Kylin Hill with a wow run. Pitch to the right and does the rest himself for about 10 yards. Just cuts on an absolute dime. He’s so damn fun.
Dexter Williams with nice run now. Packers blocking up front improving as practice goes on.
Jet sweet to Amari for a nice gain. Great blocking by Begelton & Sternberger outside to spring the run.
MVS with a big catch on a deep ball from Rodgers. Great contested catch in double coverage by Jets CB Bless Austin and S Sharrod Neasman for about 30 yards.
Quick pass from Rodgers to Adams. Easy $$$.
Rodgers is dealing now. EQ on a quick slant for a nice gain.
Aaron Jones is running off to the side during team but Dillon has yet to take a team snap either. All Hill, Dexter & Taylor so far.
Rodgers killing Jets D on slants to MVS, Adams and Lewis.
Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams picking the Jets apart with underneath slant routes. Rinse and repeat.
Rodgers to Adams. Easy $$$ on a slant again.
Benkert checkdown to Patrick Taylor.
Dennis Kelly false start. He hasn’t been super impressive since coming to GB.
Benkert throws short to EQ on a 9. Should have prob been picked.
Benkert incomplete to… nobody.
Rodgers and Adams not on the same page on a back shoulder.
Hill tries to juke out Marcus Maye but no dice. Nice play by Maye.
Rodgers incomplete to Funchess. Was low but catch-able.
Rodgers was on fire early but missed a couple recently. Fires far wide of Adams. Could have been a miscommunication between the two.
Now Rodgers misses Adams over the middle again. Adams and 12 not on the same page today at all. Adams wide open both times.
Benkert quick throw to Dexter.
Benkert fires to Amari over the middle. Contested and needed to lay out but incomplete. Also looks like there may have been contact.
Benkert fires low on a checkdown to P. Taylor. Offense scuffling a bit at the moment.
That ends the first team period.
Aaron completes it to Kylin Hill in the flat for a solid pick up. Hill shows off natural hands. He’s been great with the ones today. Rodgers has no hesitation looking his way.
Aaron completes a well designed screen pass to Josiah Deguara. Wasn’t perfectly executed but the blocks were good and Deguara picked up nice yardage. Weren't many Jet defenders around him on the catch.
Aaron hold it before firing it to Lazard but it falls incomplete. Michael Carter II near by.
Dexter Williams up the middle but the Jets front holds it to a short gain.
The Packers seem to be giving rookie fourth-rounder Royce Newman every chance to win the RG job over Lucas Patrick.
Smart blows up a handoff to Dexter Williams
Kurt Benkert completes a pass over the middle to Amari Rodgers with Guidry in coverage for a first down. Throw was slightly behind Amari.
Rodgers gorgeous TD throw to Tonyan on a deep corner route. Ball was thrown before Tonyan even made his break. Tonyan beat Mosley on the play.
Rodgers to Adams with Bryce Hall in coverage. But it was only for a short gain
Nice PBU by Bless Austin on MVS in back left corner of end zone after getting beat by Rodgers-MVS deep earlier.
Rodgers pressured on a rollout. Hits Deguara a tad wide but dropped.
Packers running lots of screens today and they are working. This one to P. Taylor.
Red-zone period ends with Benkert rolling right and firing a laser to Amari Rodgers in the front right corner of the end zone for a TD.
Rodgers throws deep to MVS. Slightly out of reach but holding or PI called on the Jets. Yes refs are here.
Great screen to Deguara but Jarrad Davis lays him out. The type of hit that shouldn’t happen in practice. Davante Adams followed Davis back to the Jets defensive huddle, letting him know the whole way.
Lazard just juked Austin out of his jock.
While run blocking has been an issue. The Packers pass pro has been really good but not on that play. Pocket completely breaks down around Rodgers.
Now a potential would be sack of 12 but Rodgers thought he escaped it. Didn’t like the whistle.
Rodgers to Tonyan on a checkdown. Well short. Pocket caved in on Rodgers and good coverage downfield.
End around to Funchess. Solid pickup.
Little smoke screen to EQ blown up because Begelton couldn’t maintain his block on the corner.
Devin Funchess just pulled up lame on the sideline after a catch. He grabbed at his left hamstring. Walking it off on Packers sideline with training staff now. - Now carted inside.
Jets edge Carl Lawson causing some problems. Pressure forced a rushed throw from Rodgers in red zone, then just had a “sack” on Rodgers during half-field team.
Benkert to Begelton for an 8-yard pickup.
Beautiful series of cuts by Patrick Taylor who reversed fields & picked up 15+ on a run. Gorgeous run. Finished the run with a vicious stiff arm against Jets CB Zane Lewis. And now Jets defensive staff imploring players not to take that.
Benkert to Sternberger over the middle. Another big collision and the ball pops loose. Definitely more contact today than we’ve seen.
Dennis Kelly down. Helped up by trainers, walked off on his own power with a limp. Headed inside.
Full team 2 min drill to end practice.
Jon Runyan Jr and rookie Royce Newman have consistently been starting LG and RG, respectively, today.
Rodgers to Cobb but it’s incomplete. Michael Carter II with the coverage.
Aaron to Kylin Hill for a short gain in the flat.
Aaron to Robert Tonyan over the middle Marcus Maye in coverage.
Bryce Huff with the sack but Aaron runs up the middle and they let the play continue. Home field advantage. Beat Turner as the third down rusher. Good coverage, too
Aaron throws a bomb to Adams but Bryce Hall had excellent coverage. Squeezed him to the sidelines there was no place for the ball to land.
Rodgers with a bullet to MVS in the seam for 15 in two minute. Clocks it with 19 left at NYJ 33.
Bryce hall again. Aaron throws it to MVS but Hall locked him down.
Coverage breakdown and Rodgers lofts a ball to MVS for a 33 yard TD. Wide open down the middle of the field no defender near. Maye was sorta in area, but threw his hands up.
Second OL: Nijman-Braden-Patrick-Hanson-Van Lanen.
Benkert hits Dexter Williams in the right flat for a big gain.
Goes deep down the right sideline to EQ, who draws a DPI from Echols.
Benkert evades pressure in pocket and lobs one to EQ in the back of the end zone. 3 yard td and good pocket presence by Benkert.
Benkert with one scare on near INT. 6 of 7 for 75 and the TD.

smuggler
08-18-2021, 01:35 PM
Continuing on to D/ST...

Defense:

Rashan Gary and Dean Lowry are back.
Newly acquired CB Isaac Yiadom is practicing today.
Wilson over the middle to Chris Herndon incomplete.
Wilson hands off to Coleman but Preston Smith blows that up.
Carter up the middle for a short gain. No much push.
Perine up the middle for a 5 yard gain.
Ty Johnson with a good run left.
Eric Stokes is taking the one CB reps in team opposite Alexander. King still limited.
Coleman for a short gain.
Michael Carter outside left for a first down. Chris Herndon had a great block to spring him.
Perine left but Oren Burns gets him in the backfield.
Really pretty pass from Wilson to Herndon for 11-yard gain. Dropped it right in his hands. Touch throw. Preston Smith had pressure on him. Preston Smith having a good day in the defense side of the field vs Becton.
Wilson to Corey Davis over the middle but it fell incomplete. Pressure from Willington Previlon.
Wilson checks down to Ty Johnson.
Wilson throws it away. The interior gets WORKED and forces the throw away.
Preston Smith got around Becton. Really close to a sack, but play continues. Wilson gets it to Crowder.
Stokes comes around on corner blitz for sack on Wilson. Becton got sucked inside and never saw him coming.
Wilson throws to Corey Davis on a hitch left but Davis drops it.
Wilson throws to Davis on a curl with Alexander in coverage
Wilson drops back and Jonathan Garvin beats Becton and sacks Wilson.
Wilson throws to Davis, it was behind him. Pressure around Wilson
Wilson doesn’t see anybody as he steps up. Runs for a short gain.
Another sack given up by the Jest OL. Fant beat. Play continues. Then Feeney beat.
Jack Heflin bats down James Morgan’s pass at LOS
Quick tally shows defense won 10 of 16 on third down. Keke also had a sack that wasn't mentioned above.
Big hole opened on right side of line (Fant, GVR) in red zone drill. Perine ran through for what might have been a 12-yard TD.
Another sack. Preston Smith beat Becton inside.
Adrian Amos narrowly misses a pick. He jumps an out route vs. Jets TE Chris Herndon in the end zone during red-zone drills, and Zach Wilson’s pass smacks him in the hands.
Two third-and-goal passes at Alexander. Two breakups.
Wilson screen throw to Davis . Short gain.
Wilson’s pass is batted down.
Wilson hands off to Coleman who has a very good run for a first down.
Coleman gets the next carry. No push from the OL. Zero yards gained.
Wilson gets a coverage sack. OL did fine. Wilson was targeting Cole but Jaire had him locked down.
Kingsley Keke sacks Wilson.
Michael Carter has had some good runs today.
Second team Jets offense scores a TD. White to Malone. Malone having a good day. Three long catches
Full team 2 min drill to end practice.
Wilson first pass incomplete.
Wilson to crowder for a first. but Preston Smith gets pressure.
Wilson attacks Stokes down field to Keelan Cole. Stokes was step for step but didn’t get his head around. Cole had a chance at it but it falls incomplete.
Keke would’ve had a sack just now in dime, two minute.
Wilson throws it deep to Corey Davis. It was a okay throw but Davis was locked by Jaire.
Wilson comes right back to Davis and fires a DART over the middle with Jaire in coverage for a 1st on 3rd down.
Wilson to Davis over the middle again. Jaire again in coverage.
Wilson throws it in the dirt. Preston with pressure.
Wilson to Herndon over the middle for first down.
Wilson throws it Johnson in the flat but it flies out of bounds. Packers D wins the drill.
Zach Wilson today was 12 of 23. He was sacked 7 times. Receivers dropped two easy passes.

Special Teams:

Packers/Jets doing special teams drills practicing blocking and gunning for punt returns. Best reps so far were by Ento, Dafney, Stokes, and Tipa.
Dafney is killing it in special teams drills. Absolutely awesome rep from Dominique Martin too.
Mentioned Previlon in my roster projection this morning. Just smoked some guy in special teams period. Ento and Begelton doing well too among others.
Mason Crosby right down the middle 54 and 56. 7 of 9 in period, I think he missed from 41 and 51

texaspackerbacker
08-18-2021, 02:02 PM
Thanks, smuggler. Great to read all this.

texaspackerbacker
08-19-2021, 04:58 PM
Apparently the Jets lost two players including Karl Lawson, an expensive free agent, they just signed with season ending injuries on Thursday. Damn good thing it wasn't us having that.

smuggler
08-23-2021, 09:57 PM
Rough start to the season for the Jersey Flyers. They're certainly going to be competing for a top-10 pick in next year's draft, so this aligns with that trend line.

call_me_ishmael
08-30-2021, 11:47 AM
To this day, I don't understand why the Packers released Jon Ryan and later Tim Masthay. Both were very good, no? Especially Masthay IIRC.

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2021, 01:17 PM
To this day, I don't understand why the Packers released Jon Ryan and later Tim Masthay. Both were very good, no? Especially Masthay IIRC.

When Ryan was here, he was very inconsistent--much like Scott. Plus, he wasn't good at punts inside the 20. He became better when he got to Seattle. On top of that, he had two punts blocked his second and final year here. Masthay was okay. He never punted again. Did he just retire at 28 or did he fail to make another team?

call_me_ishmael
08-30-2021, 01:44 PM
When Ryan was here, he was very inconsistent--much like Scott. Plus, he wasn't good at punts inside the 20. He became better when he got to Seattle. On top of that, he had two punts blocked his second and final year here. Masthay was okay. He never punted again. Did he just retire at 28 or did he fail to make another team?

My perception of Masthay was he was _very_ good at downing the ball inside the 20. I was pretty surprised to see he never punted again.

smuggler
08-30-2021, 09:43 PM
Masthay just didn't have a booming leg. Solid player, though, but he was not special. Go watch the 2010 NFC Championship game again sometime. It's ugly, but he balled out... He saved our nuts in that game. He got a few firsts on trick plays and threw a TD pass to Tom Crabtree. Good times.

Jon Ryan lost his job in a game against the Bears. Two blocked punts. One fumbled snap that resulted in a TO on downs. And a punt for 19 yards or something. Just absolutely brutal and cost us that game.