PDA

View Full Version : Davante will be gone now too...

Tony Oday
07-23-2021, 12:31 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-packers-davante-adams-broken-152507773.html

Tony Oday
07-23-2021, 12:32 PM
Trade AR for Carr :)

Anti-Polar Bear
07-23-2021, 12:59 PM
Even an orangutan knows that the Packers can always use the franchise tag of Adams.

red
07-23-2021, 01:17 PM
you people still don't think theres a big problem at 1265?

Joemailman
07-23-2021, 01:19 PM
Even an orangutan knows that the Packers can always use the franchise tag of Adams.

Yep. To get out of cold dark and dull Green Bay, Adams is faced with the prospect of playing consecutive years on a 1 year contract. I don't think he'll want to do that.

Joemailman
07-23-2021, 01:21 PM

https://oilersnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/91BrxJvZL._AC_SY450_.jpg

King Friday
07-23-2021, 01:22 PM

No.

Adams is going to break the bank. I'm not sure the Packers can afford him at this point. The Packers are probably offering the maximum they can, and it won't be enough. You do realize the Packers cap situation, do you not?

red
07-23-2021, 01:26 PM
No.

Adams is going to break the bank. I'm not sure the Packers can afford him at this point. The Packers are probably offering the maximum they can, and it won't be enough. You do realize the Packers cap situation, do you not?

better then most on here

King Friday
07-23-2021, 01:30 PM
I also failed to mention that Adams will be 30 years old when his current contract expires. Do you really want to sign a 30 year old WR to a 5-6 year deal for 20M+ per year?

The Packers front office has played this perfectly. They will be able to keep Adams through age 31 and get virtually the entire length of the prime of his career, and don't have to overpay for him on the backside.

Anyone who thinks the Packers are out of control due to this is a complete and utter moron.

Tony Oday
07-23-2021, 01:31 PM
Still not happy pissing off both AR and DA

Joemailman
07-23-2021, 01:32 PM
If Packers want to put the franchise tag on Adams in 2022, he'll be 31 by the time he's a free agent. Teams might not want to break the bank on a guy at that age who usually misses a few games. That's why I think there's still a good chance he signs an extension with the Packers, even though it will be for less than he's asking for right now.

Edit: King Friday beat me to it.

King Friday
07-23-2021, 01:35 PM
Still not happy pissing off both AR and DA

There is no evidence that the Packers have pissed Adams off. The two sides have just come to see that there is no way to get a deal done right now after discussions all off-season. You are the only one inferring that Green Bay is pissing him off.

King Friday
07-23-2021, 01:37 PM
If Packers want to put the franchise tag on Adams in 2022, he'll be 31 by the time he's a free agent. Teams might not want to break the bank on a guy at that age who usually misses a few games. That's why I think there's still a good chance he signs an extension with the Packers, even though it will be for less than he's asking for right now.

Edit: King Friday beat me to it.

It will depend on if Rodgers stays past 2021. I think Adams would take a little less to stay with Rodgers, but will look for top dollar if not.

Tony Oday
07-23-2021, 01:38 PM
There is no evidence that the Packers have pissed Adams off. The two sides have just come to see that there is no way to get a deal done right now after discussions all off-season. You are the only one inferring that Green Bay is pissing him off.

and every non Packer Fan follower of football.

RashanGary
07-23-2021, 01:39 PM
As long as the NFL has a salary cap, this stuff will pop up. It’s part of the game. If money wasn’t such a factor I’m sure Green Bay wants to keep everyone.

Joemailman
07-23-2021, 01:41 PM
It will depend on if Rodgers stays past 2021. I think Adams would take a little less to stay with Rodgers, but will look for top dollar if not.

Even if Love looks great?

red
07-23-2021, 01:43 PM
You do realize the Packers cap situation, do you not?

aren't you the one that i have to correct every single time you mention the salary cap on here, or is that someone else?

someone on here is always mentioning cap numbers and its as if they don't understand numbers at all

if thats you, then please stop because you obviously have no understanding about the salary cap what-so-ever and absolutely no clue how it works. but you continue to spread useless info on this site and i would guess others

red
07-23-2021, 01:44 PM

adams mentioned months ago that he would be following the rodgers situation closely and that it would have an effect on him re signing

Teamcheez1
07-23-2021, 02:19 PM

From what I’ve been reading, Adams wants money similar to DeAndre Hopkins. Not surprised things have stalled. $27M+ per year is not going to work. I don’t support paying that much.

RashanGary
07-23-2021, 02:30 PM
I’d rather keep Tonyan, Lazard and MVS. I think you could get all three for about the price of Adams.

And while we’re on it. This year is our window. I’d be fine moving onto Love after this year and doing a rebuild.

King Friday
07-23-2021, 02:37 PM
Even if Love looks great?

That could play into it, but I think Adams is pretty close to Rodgers. Love can't replicate that in one year.

King Friday
07-23-2021, 02:38 PM
I’d rather keep Tonyan, Lazard and MVS. I think you could get all three for about the price of Adams.

And while we’re on it. This year is our window. I’d be fine moving onto Love after this year and doing a rebuild.

That was the Packers front office mindset too... Which clearly didn't sit well with Rodgers.

Joemailman
07-23-2021, 02:40 PM
From what I’ve been reading, Adams wants money similar to DeAndre Hopkins. Not surprised things have stalled. $27M+ per year is not going to work. I don’t support paying that much.

I agree. No WR is worth that kind of money. Packers are doing it right. Keep your elite LT, your elite NT, and soon your elite CB.

red
07-23-2021, 02:53 PM
so now adams is an asshole for being a top 2 WR and wanting to be paid like it

god damn you guys are quick to turn on the players

texaspackerbacker
07-23-2021, 02:54 PM

Yes, this.

We're strong at that position. In a year, we can keep him with a team friendly contract, maybe or franchise him, and on the slim chance (IMO) that Rodgers is gone this year or next, it really doesn't matter about Adams anyway. The team is going down.

Harlan Huckleby
07-23-2021, 03:20 PM

I don't think either Adams or Rodgers are assholes.
They both signed fair contracts, IMO. Half the players in the league would want to change teams or renegotiate at the perfect moment in their contract cycle.

Player holdouts don't work very well so everybody should R-E-L-A-X

Joemailman
07-23-2021, 03:46 PM

Who said he's an asshole? I just don't think you should be paying nearly 30million for a wide receiver. 20 maybe. Not 30.

RashanGary
07-23-2021, 03:48 PM

Wanting to spend 27 million per year in other ways doesn’t equate to calling someone an ass hole. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Cheesehead Craig
07-23-2021, 06:11 PM
Will end up being a tag and trade.

red
07-23-2021, 06:32 PM
Will end up being a tag and trade.

Macaffee thinks he could be traded in a week if Rodgers doesnt report

red
07-23-2021, 06:34 PM
Wanting to spend 27 million per year in other ways doesn’t equate to calling someone an ass hole. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Just laughing at the ways you guys turn on players when their future doesn't involve green bay.

Rodgers- that guy is a passive aggressive douchebag who can rot

Adams-. Too expensive, not worth the money, too old

It's like calling your 115 young girlfriend a fat ass after she dumps you

red
07-23-2021, 06:38 PM
One thing with just letting Adams leave is the fact that we have no one else ready to step up to be a new #1. As I would argue that we don't even have a decent #2 right now

RashanGary
07-23-2021, 07:27 PM
One thing with just letting Adams leave is the fact that we have no one else ready to step up to be a new #1. As I would argue that we don't even have a decent #2 right now

One thing about paying him 27 million per season is we’d definitely not have a 2 or a 3 or a #1 TE. Everything is a give and take.

Joemailman
07-23-2021, 07:48 PM
Macaffee thinks he could be traded in a week if Rodgers doesnt report

Why? If there's a chance they're going to have to go with Love this year, why would they trade away his best receiver?

red
07-23-2021, 07:52 PM
Why? If there's a chance they're going to have to go with Love this year, why would they trade away his best receiver?

to get trade value for a player you have no intension of keeping

texaspackerbacker
07-23-2021, 07:59 PM
It seems to be the Packers way to lowball even high quality players and to be prepared to let them go. This may very well be what Rodgers was talking about - not liking the way the team treats players. The thing is, though, that seems to work in terms of sustained success. We may well lose Adams that way, like we lost Jordy Nelson and probably others over the years. I would say, the reason this formula for success worked was primarily because we had back to back two of the greatest QBs in NFL history.

Adams is no "asshole"; He's more like a possible victim - the cost of doing business and keeping on winning. Rodgers, the highly intelligent guy we all know he is, should realize that and exactly why the team has done things the way they have.

Team leadership, though, should realize what has made the Packers great for so long. Drafting Love/a first round QB at all when they did was a departure from that. It was NOT merely stumbling into a bargain like when we got Rodgers. It was subordinating other positions of need, not to mention alienating the primary asset they had - Rodgers.

Scenario 1 (preferred): Rodgers is extended and stays long term, Adams accepts a slight lowball deal and stays several added years. Scenario 2: (IMO the most likely) Rodgers stays long term, Adams takes the money and goes elsewhere. Scenario 3: (unlikely to me, realistic to some) Rodgers is gone after this season or even before this season, Adams says no to a lowball and goes elsewhere.

red
07-23-2021, 08:01 PM
One thing about paying him 27 million per season is we’d definitely not have a 2 or a 3 or a #1 TE. Everything is a give and take.

you guys do understand that just because a player counts "27 million" a year against the cap, doesn't mean that he actually takes up 27 million against the cap every single year

in fact, hopkins only counts 27 million against the cap 1 season.

that 2 year 54 million contract was actually a 2 year extension on to an existing 3 year deal

his cap numbers were 7 million last year, the year he signed the extension
12.5 million this year
25 million next year
27.2 in 2023
and 22.6 million in 2024

the team can cut him after the 2022 season and save cap space and never pay him that 50 million in new money

all he really got that was real money was a 27.5 million dollar signing bonus spread over 5 years

red
07-23-2021, 08:04 PM
It seems to be the Packers way to lowball even high quality players and to be prepared to let them go. This may very well be what Rodgers was talking about - not liking the way the team treats players. The thing is, though, that seems to work in terms of sustained success. We may well lose Adams that way, like we lost Jordy Nelson and probably others over the years. I would say, the reason this formula for success worked was primarily because we had back to back two of the greatest QBs in NFL history.

my biggest gripe with this approach is that we just let them walk at the end

in my mind it would be better to trade them a year earlier for picks if you know you're letting the guy go

maybe if its a 4th rounder or later it wouldn't be worth trading him, but if its a high pick, i'd like to see it happen

King Friday
07-23-2021, 09:48 PM
I love all the people on here who want to throw $100M+ at a soon to be 30 year old WR. I like Adams. He's a great player and has been a credit to the franchise. However, I can also recognize that paying huge contracts to guys on the wrong side of 30 normally doesn't pay off.

He's not going to be traded prior to the season. Lay off the peyote kids. The NFL isn't like your Madden franchise. Trading Adams right now would be very difficult. Few teams have a ton of cap space remaining after signing rookies. Your trading partner has to be someone the player is willing to sign with long term or you ain't getting a decent return. Nearly every team watches guys walk each year. That's part of the cap system.

call_me_ishmael
07-23-2021, 11:23 PM

LMAO, you've got to be kidding me. You'd rather keep three guys who are basically 4-8M a year veterans at the most over one of the 5 best receivers in the NFL? LMAO!!!

Bretsky
07-23-2021, 11:36 PM

As Cris Carter would often say...........

COME ON MAN

texaspackerbacker
07-24-2021, 12:57 AM
No, RG got that right. 3 or 4 years from now those 3 will each be better than Adams. Of course, if Rodgers is still around and we can sign Davante with a lowball deal, then we can keep all of them. Arguably, all of them, even Adams, are made great by Aaron Rodgers.

King Friday
07-24-2021, 07:06 AM
I'd rather use the money to pay someone like Jaire, who is likely to remain an elite player at his position far longer than Adams.

CaptainD
07-24-2021, 07:54 AM
So here's what the "all-in" crowd seems to expect:

- Highest paid QB in football going into his 40's
- Highest paid WR in football going into his 30's
- Highest paid LT in the league
- Top-5 paid DT in the league
- Top-10 paid RB in the league
- Top-10 paid OLB in the league

^^^And somehow still have enough money to pay Jaire who might end up requiring making him the top paid corner in football. This was always going to be a possibility or even likelihood given the cap situation, and yet all I see from Packers Twitter and simpleton casual fans are all caps complaints and memes about how the organization has **** everything up. Will the "all in" crowd actually admit that the strategy was a failure if we don't end this 3-year run with a Super Bowl? Of course not. Just pivot to some other dumb argument where you expect to consistently field the most talented roster in football while completely ignoring the existence of this thing called the "salary cap"...

ThunderDan
07-24-2021, 08:30 AM
No, RG got that right. 3 or 4 years from now those 3 will each be better than Adams. Of course, if Rodgers is still around and we can sign Davante with a lowball deal, then we can keep all of them. Arguably, all of them, even Adams, are made great by Aaron Rodgers.

It had been a while but here is another one of your absolutely stupid posts.

Joemailman
07-24-2021, 09:38 AM
I would just point out that 6 months ago, most people thought Aaron Jones was as good as gone. So you never know.

texaspackerbacker
07-24-2021, 10:18 AM

^^^And somehow still have enough money to pay Jaire who might end up requiring making him the top paid corner in football. This was always going to be a possibility or even likelihood given the cap situation, and yet all I see from Packers Twitter and simpleton casual fans are all caps complaints and memes about how the organization has **** everything up. Will the "all in" crowd actually admit that the strategy was a failure if we don't end this 3-year run with a Super Bowl? Of course not. Just pivot to some other dumb argument where you expect to consistently field the most talented roster in football while completely ignoring the existence of this thing called the "salary cap"...

I'm all in for 4 of the 6, 5 of 7 if you count Jaire. I wouldn't overpay for Adams, and I wouldn't for Bakhtiari.

That's not saying we can't afford it, though. If you work the cap to the max, it's certainly doable.

texaspackerbacker
07-24-2021, 10:22 AM
It had been a while but here is another one of your absolutely stupid posts.

Wait and see hahahaha - it will prove out 100% in a few years. How long do you expect Davante to be as good as now? Whatever the answer, he won't be near as good if he ain't playing with Rodgers. Ditto that for Tonyan, MVS, and Lazard. You seriously think otherwise?

Bretsky
07-24-2021, 10:41 AM
Devante is a special talent. May be the top WR in the NFL. Guys like MVS and da Lizard, you can find those guys every year. I'm not sure if Tonyan is elite or a product of our system though; I need more time to see.

But I get it if we don't have the cap room. If Adams goes, along with Rodgers, we might finally draft a WR in round one :))))

RashanGary
07-24-2021, 11:21 AM
We had the typical Brees, Favre, Manning, Rodgers type run of good seasons without many championships. That’s the salary cap NFL. Russell Wilson and Mahommes will be next. Since Wilson’s pay has gone up, the team around him went down. Same for Mahommes. This is just life in the NFL. Relax.

Harlan Huckleby
07-24-2021, 12:06 PM
I'm glad we have Adams locked in for another year of my entertainment. Who cares if he leaves or stays after that. Packers squeezed tremendous value out of the guy and Davante now has college tuition money for all his kids. He'd be a risky investment if they paid him his market value now - but good luck to him on whatever AFC team he moves to.

Bretsky
07-24-2021, 12:51 PM
We had the typical Brees, Favre, Manning, Rodgers type run of good seasons without many championships. That’s the salary cap NFL. Russell Wilson and Mahommes will be next. Since Wilson’s pay has gone up, the team around him went down. Same for Mahommes. This is just life in the NFL. Relax.

your post inspired my new signature. I was championships, not farts in the wind. The Bucks went all in and for once it worked.

Ten years from now, who had more titles in the last 60 years ???

smuggler
07-24-2021, 01:00 PM
I'm glad we have Adams locked in for another year of my entertainment. Who cares if he leaves or stays after that. Packers squeezed tremendous value out of the guy and Davante now has college tuition money for all his kids. He'd be a risky investment if they paid him his market value now - but good luck to him on whatever AFC team he moves to.

Perfect quote.

Bretsky, get help if you actually believe the bullshit in your new sig...

LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Equal Success in My Book. Ten years from now, who will be the more successful team over the last 60 years ????

texaspackerbacker
07-24-2021, 01:00 PM

The Packers had, maybe still have a strong probability to be the exception to that, if we can retain Rodgers for a few more years, maybe Adams too. That means one of two things: Either all of these other presumed star quality players really aren't as good as people think, Rodgers just makes them seem better than they are, OR the leadership has been either damn good or damn lucky, take your pick, at amassing talent when other teams with extremely high paid QBs haven't been able to. Which of those do you think it is? I'll go with a combination of both, but mostly the former.

Bretsky
07-24-2021, 01:12 PM
Perfect quote.

Bretsky, get help if you actually believe the bullshit in your new sig...

OK; so I tapered my new signature back a bit. But it begs the question.

Which last eight ears would you take ? I'll take a lot of struggles and a championship over several playoffs and no title

Jaire
07-24-2021, 03:01 PM
OK; so I tapered my new signature back a bit. But it begs the question.

Which last eight ears would you take ? I'll take a lot of struggles and a championship over several playoffs and no title

No, I'll take outstanding play year in and out. Long years of losing seasons are no fun. We should have won in 2014 and were really close last year.

Championships have a lot of luck built in. New England is not the norm. And the team is at a peak now. So, AR will be back if he hasn't lost interest in football and winning. So we get both. We have the best shot at a mini run here since 93 to 97: it actually began two years ago.

As to Davante, I give him a slim chance to return, and none if AR leaves next year. But as much as I love Adams, I just don't think that money is worth it for receiver esp in MLF's system. With Love, I expect it will be easier to find receivers to fit the system. And I'd rather bring back Tonyan and the others and draft a round 2 next year.

Jaire
07-24-2021, 04:08 PM
I'm pretty sure this means they will both be back. For this year at least.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1418802097701724164?s=20

texaspackerbacker
07-24-2021, 07:32 PM
Bretsky, regarding your new signature, I'll go with success for both - I'd guess 3-5 championships each in the next 10 years.

The Bucks have their big 3 locked up, and Giannis is still plenty young. That being said, it seems like there's more that can go wrong and more instances of lesser teams rising up in a give year in the NBA.

The Packers, as I see it, are entirely contingent on Rodgers for championships, and I STILL expect him to be there and win several more before he's gone. Toward the back end of the ten years, I'll go with the Packers natural tendency to amass talent and stay near the top to give them a shot at a few more later.

red
07-24-2021, 07:52 PM
I'm pretty sure this means they will both be back. For this year at least.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1418802097701724164?s=20

they have referred to themselves as jordan and pippen before. that picture is of jordan and pippen and does not mention "the last dance" anywhere

King Friday
07-24-2021, 08:48 PM
Does this mean Adams is going to open his home for Olympic viewing?

ThunderDan
07-24-2021, 10:06 PM
Wait and see hahahaha - it will prove out 100% in a few years. How long do you expect Davante to be as good as now? Whatever the answer, he won't be near as good if he ain't playing with Rodgers. Ditto that for Tonyan, MVS, and Lazard. You seriously think otherwise?

Adams is elite. In 5 years he will be a better than average WR as his career winds down.

The other 3 are guys you can pick up as mid round players or for Tonyan not even drafted at all.

ThunderDan
07-24-2021, 10:07 PM
Adams is elite. In 5 years he will be a better than average WR as his career winds down.

The other 3 are guys you can pick up as mid round players or for Tonyan not even drafted at all.

That doesn’t mean they can’t have good careers. But Adams is elite. His get off is the best in the NFL. DBs can’t even get a hand on him.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-25-2021, 06:00 AM

The NFL salary cap is nothing more an accounting instrument, and all accounting instruments can be cooked. Sure, cooking the “books” is sometimes frowned upon by the Southeastern Conference (SEC), but trust me on this, the salary cap falls above SEC rules and regulations.

In today’s profitable NFL economy, the salary cap merely serves as an exploitative tool for the pig owners to cut labor expenses. Cash flow is what’s really important. The Packers have $450M sitting in offshore banks earning interests faster than the speed of light. They have more than enough frogskins to sign everyone and anyone they wish. Just gotta cook the cap.

Source: Me, Tank Elf Duke, Bachelor’s of Science, Accounting/Economics, Passer of Wisconsin’s CPA exams. Only reason I ain’t no hotshot CPA is cos no pig would hire me. Without the essential accounting experience, I can’t acquire the CPA license. Might be b/c I’m a registered sex offender. When one’s flipping burgers for so long, chances are good he’s bound to eventually drive a high school nymphet home.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-25-2021, 09:02 AM
Ok. I keed. I may be a porn addict but I ain’t no sex offender.

Point being, the cap can always be cooked. “Cap hell” is history. Look at the NO Saints. 100M above the cap in March; fine and dandy today.

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2021, 09:25 AM

speculation. lots of elite receivers are average after 32

texaspackerbacker
07-25-2021, 10:18 AM
I'd agree, Davante might have a little bit longer shelf life because he doesn't rely as much on speed as some others, but he will fade, and paying him max money is not wise. Also, TD, I think you're both selling short our other receivers - who we either got really lucky or really skillful acquiring, and you're also failing to consider or at least greatly discounting the clear fact that Aaron Rodgers has made all of them including Adams better or seem better than they would be in any other scenario.

APB, you're absolutely correct above about the cap. Where did you ever pick up that brilliant idea of cooking the cap? Oh yeah, I remember hahahahaha. The Packers should hire you as an accountant. As I'm sure you know, corporate accountants don't need a CPA license.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-25-2021, 10:40 AM
APB, you're absolutely correct above about the cap. Where did you ever pick up that brilliant idea of cooking the cap? Oh yeah, I remember hahahahaha. The Packers should hire you as an accountant. As I'm sure you know, corporate accountants don't need a CPA license.

Well, the Packers hired a personal trainer to manage their cap, so heck yeah, I could probably do a better job in that role. Would even work for a humble salary of $50k/yr.

RashanGary
07-25-2021, 11:10 AM
speculation. lots of elite receivers are average after 32

I looked up the top 20 or so all time receivers. Their last 1,000 yard season usually fell at about age 32 or 33. And that was the most productive all time guys. I haven't gone through the top 100 but I would estimate the top 100 guys fell off sooner than the top 20. Adams is probably more of a top 100 all time guy than top 20.

It's not bad speculation to expect drop off in the next couple.of years if history is used as a guide.

red
07-25-2021, 11:46 AM
adams is currently the 18th highest paid WR in the nfl

tyler dunne i think it was, mentioned on the radio yesterday that adams has never gotten top 10 WR money, even though he's been top 5 for years

and the packers don't want to give him top 10 money now

his words, not mone

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2021, 03:20 PM
adams is currently the 18th highest paid WR in the nfl

tyler dunne i think it was, mentioned on the radio yesterday that adams has never gotten top 10 WR money, even though he's been top 5 for years

and the packers don't want to give him top 10 money now

his words, not mone

Adams could have taken more risk on last contract. Shorter deal. Less guaranteed money, more incentives.
Maybe he and his agent made a bad decision.

It is not the obligation of the team to rewrite contracts when the player overperforms expectations.

The only situation where a team might want to reward a player for performance is when they also want to lock the guy in for a new, longer term deal. Quarterbacks approaching 40 and wide receivers approaching 30 are not good fits for that scenario.

I really can't understand cries of "unfair" when a team won't rip-up a contract.

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2021, 03:23 PM
I looked up the top 20 or so all time receivers. Their last 1,000 yard season usually fell at about age 32 or 33. And that was the most productive all time guys. I haven't gone through the top 100 but I would estimate the top 100 guys fell off sooner than the top 20. Adams is probably more of a top 100 all time guy than top 20.

It's not bad speculation to expect drop off in the next couple.of years if history is used as a guide.

I think you are agreeing with me, but in the future please clarify by beginning with "Mr. Huckleby is absolutely right again."

red
07-25-2021, 03:46 PM
Adams could have taken more risk on last contract. Shorter deal. Less guaranteed money, more incentives.
Maybe he and his agent made a bad decision.

It is not the obligation of the team to rewrite contracts when the player overperforms expectations.

The only situation where a team might want to reward a player for performance is when they also want to lock the guy in for a new, longer term deal. Quarterbacks approaching 40 and wide receivers approaching 30 are not good fits for that scenario.

I really can't understand cries of "unfair" when a team won't rip-up a contract.

teams rip up contracts all the time

we've already discussed this. nfl contracts aren't really contracts at all

King Friday
07-25-2021, 04:18 PM
No...they certainly are contracts. However, the system is set up to favor the teams. The Packers are hardly the only team that takes advantage of this. All 32 do.

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2021, 04:29 PM
teams rip up contracts all the time

we've already discussed this. nfl contracts aren't really contracts at all

I guess you are talking about contract extensions signed before a contract is complete.
The fact that teams sometimes do this is a choice. It does not mean "nfl contracts are not contracts." Players are most often held to their contracts and that is a fair choice.

red
07-25-2021, 04:34 PM
I guess you are talking about contract extensions signed before a contract is complete.
The fact that teams sometimes do this is a choice. It does not mean "nfl contracts are not contracts." Players are most often held to their contracts and that is a fair choice.

no, i mean how teams can cut a player whenever they want in reality

i would like to know if any other team does the thing that the packers do about paying out signing bonuses and roster bonuses over the course of the year. i always thought that was up from money, due at signing, or due on all on a certain date

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2021, 04:36 PM
No...they certainly are contracts. However, the system is set up to favor the teams. The Packers are hardly the only team that takes advantage of this. All 32 do.

Very true that contracts themselves are shitty to many players.

On unrelated rant: the salary cap is lousy. It is not structured primarily for competitiveness, it's to guarantee great profitability to every franchise. There is no reason to cap all salaries. They could exempt salaries od players who have been on the team for ~ 5 years. Then you wouldn't have the massive turnover after the first contract. THe NFL is structured now to run on cheaper young guys. The problem is the fans have little attachment to the "home" players. It sucks for fans, IMO.

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2021, 04:38 PM

right, I agree on how one-sided NFL contracts are.

texaspackerbacker
07-25-2021, 05:15 PM
No problem giving him top ten, even top five money. I just wouldn't want to give him top 1 or 2 money long term - which he very well could get (and likely will if Rodgers isn't around past this season) from somebody else.

red
07-25-2021, 06:04 PM
Very true that contracts themselves are shitty to many players.

On unrelated rant: the salary cap is lousy. It is not structured primarily for competitiveness, it's to guarantee great profitability to every franchise. There is no reason to cap all salaries. They could exempt salaries od players who have been on the team for ~ 5 years. Then you wouldn't have the massive turnover after the first contract. THe NFL is structured now to run on cheaper young guys. The problem is the fans have little attachment to the "home" players. It sucks for fans, IMO.

right, I agree on how one-sided NFL contracts are.

players union is just pathetic imo

King Friday
07-25-2021, 09:26 PM

i would like to know if any other team does the thing that the packers do about paying out signing bonuses and roster bonuses over the course of the year. i always thought that was up from money, due at signing, or due on all on a certain date

I would bet that most NFL teams operate this way on a majority of contracts...and again, if that is something a player doesn't want, then that is on his agent to negotiate.

ThunderDan
07-26-2021, 10:49 AM

The NFL players (all 3 of them) that I have dealt with have specific dates and times when bonuses get paid out in the contract.

These exact reasons are why players are demanding more guaranteed, upfront money. If they don't, they are at the mercy of the team if their play regresses even a little bit.

HarveyWallbangers
07-26-2021, 01:47 PM

That all depends on the structure of the contract. They can't get out of some contracts too early. The fact that players get more money up front nowadays helps balance the fact that teams can cut players. Nowadays, a player can sign a 5 year contract with a lot of upfront money and then his play can deteriorate (or the player can get injured) soon after and it will have been an unfair contract for the team. It kind of cuts both ways nowadays.

texaspackerbacker
07-26-2021, 02:30 PM
If Adams is gone after this year, we can still win it all if Rodgers is there. If Rodgers is gone, though, with or without Adams, we lose. That's the bottom line of all of this.

Upnorth
07-27-2021, 02:39 PM
If Adams is gone after this year, we can still win it all if Rodgers is there. If Rodgers is gone, though, with or without Adams, we lose. That's the bottom line of all of this.

I remember reading this in 2008. Slightly different name but other than that...

texaspackerbacker
07-27-2021, 02:54 PM
You didn't read it from me.

TateM30
08-23-2021, 06:29 AM
As long as the NFL has a salary cap, this stuff will pop up. It’s part of the game. If money wasn’t such a factor I’m sure Green Bay wants to keep everyone.

sure but i think a big issue is overly backing players over the best case scenario for teams. Teams are a million moving parts and welfare of thousands matter based off these individual players demands.