PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back Rand!

Anti-Polar Bear
07-27-2021, 12:45 AM
Where the fuck is Prof Rand? It’s been over a year; his ego still battered? Has he devolved into Jaire? Whatever. This thread is actually about Rand Cobb.

The Packers ain’t have a bona fide slot man since they idiotically allowed Cobb to walk the walk of life. 1st round rookie receivers usually aren’t primed for prime time, so what makes y’all think the 3rd round rook and his 5.37 40 will be able to dash out anything more than punt return yardage?

Cobb remains a bona fide NFL slot man. If 12 is Air and 17 is Pip and 2021 is the Last Dance, then Cobb back in the Green and Musta Yellow would be Steve Kerr. When it’s 4th and 3 in the clutch, Cobb would provide the Pack with a crucial 3.

Plus, Cobb is perfect for the role of the jet sweeper.

texaspackerbacker
07-27-2021, 11:20 AM
I'd rather have Amari Rodgers - better at a tiny fraction of the price.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-27-2021, 12:45 PM

It’s 4th and 3 with Super Bowl 56 on the line, who would you rather have on the field, Cobb or the rookie?

Today’s the first day of the Last Dance. The rookie is gonna need time to blossom. 12 doesn’t have a lot of time left.

Bring back Cobb.

NewsBruin
07-27-2021, 01:21 PM
I loved Randall Cobb and thought his utility was underutilized in GB, but does he have any quicks left? I'd bet as smart as Cobb is, Amari would be better on short-yardage sweeps and screens in Fall 2021.

Upnorth
07-27-2021, 01:26 PM
It’s 4th and 3 with Super Bowl 56 on the line, who would you rather have on the field, Cobb or the rookie?

Today’s the first day of the Last Dance. The rookie is gonna need time to blossom. 12 doesn’t have a lot of time left.

Bring back Cobb.

I will answer that question in the post season. What if amari is the rare rookie wr who is good in his 1st season? Then I take him in a heart beat over Cobb.

texaspackerbacker
07-27-2021, 01:36 PM
The only reason I would consider bringing back Cobb is if it was done to please Rodgers, and only then if it led to a long term deal.

call_me_ishmael
07-27-2021, 01:45 PM
Sounds like it's official.

George Cumby
07-27-2021, 02:27 PM

Holy shit. We agree.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2021, 03:13 PM
Sounds like it's a done deal. I'd say ugh, but Cobb will probably score the game winning TD in the Super Bowl. Two QBs were released. I wonder who else they might bring back. Maybe B.J. Raji or Clay Matthews. :) Hopefully, not Jake Kumerow.

Sparkey
07-27-2021, 03:30 PM
I am totally excited that we have added speed to our receiving core with this move. :roll:

Zool
07-27-2021, 03:38 PM
Bring back Driver, Jennings, and Jones!

Tony Oday
07-27-2021, 03:47 PM
Hahahhaha Cobb will only be healthy for 3 games so who cares?

Cheesehead Craig
07-27-2021, 04:05 PM
Bring black Finley!

RashanGary
07-27-2021, 04:09 PM
This is good for Amari Rodgers. Nothing good comes from having him piss Aaron Rodgers off as a rookie and never get the ball. Give him a redshirt year and let Cobb show him the ways of pro football.

RashanGary
07-27-2021, 04:10 PM
And Amari is a nice starting point for Jordan Love. They’ll get tons of reps together and build some chemistry so they can hit the ground running next year.

Jaire
07-27-2021, 04:31 PM
It won't affect Amari much. His main role was sweeps and special teams for the first year. He gets to break in easy to an expanded role. Personally, I don't want Cobb taking too many snaps a game anyways with his dinged up body.

Have to wait on contract details. But reportedly AR is not getting more money. So this was a no brainer really. And Cobb could flourish in this system as well. Amari is not gonna be ready for playoff games. Cobb could be key. He is clutch and doesn't need speed in this system.

Bretsky
07-27-2021, 06:09 PM
I hope we gave up nothing of value for Cobb

texaspackerbacker
07-27-2021, 06:31 PM
Like any deal, it's all about the details, and we don't know the details. I too hope we're getting him cheap. I guess I can go along with the idea that learning from Cobb or whatever is good for Amari Rodgers and thus good for the Packers. For him, though, for other players, and for us fans, I can't help thinking it's all gonna turn to shit after this season - assuming the stories are true.

Bretsky
07-27-2021, 06:46 PM
Like any deal, it's all about the details, and we don't know the details. I too hope we're getting him cheap. I guess I can go along with the idea that learning from Cobb or whatever is good for Amari Rodgers and thus good for the Packers. For him, though, for other players, and for us fans, I can't help thinking it's all gonna turn to shit after this season - assuming the stories are true.

Cobb is grossly overpaid and I'm not sure what he offers; anything over a 7th round draft pick is too much. Tauscher felt like delivering Cobb was part of AROD returning back. He had GB by the balls and broke them

texaspackerbacker
07-27-2021, 07:07 PM
They probably can get Houston to pay part of what Cobb is owed, but that would probably lead to the Packers giving up more in trade. Like I said, the details.

King Friday
07-27-2021, 07:25 PM
Cobb has been in decline for years already. This goes to show why Gute told Rodgers to shut up and let the more knowledgeable people run the team.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2021, 07:51 PM
The Cobb situation is so stupid it makes me wish the Packers had just traded Rodgers now.

MadtownPacker
07-27-2021, 08:21 PM
You got the thread title wrong.

ThunderDan
07-28-2021, 09:15 AM
The Cobb situation is so stupid it makes me wish the Packers had just traded Rodgers now.

This is starting to get unbelievable. The front office completely fucked this up and are now grabbing their ankles and "taking one" to make ARod happy.

Joemailman
07-28-2021, 10:01 AM
Lighten up everybody. Rodgers is back. That makes the Packers one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl. Whether, it's for 1 year, 2 years, or (fill in the blank Tex) years, that's a great thing. You think Bears fans are happy about this?

Am I excited about trading for Randall Cobb? Not really. But it's not like Cobb makes the team worse, and might make it better if he can stay healthy. I mean, this is not the John Hadl Trade Deux.

It's been a rough offseason. Training Camp is here. Time to look ahead. Time to break out the Kool-aid.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/e7h41YxzQM9cBnFiGQ0yQX-beoeTMQB94LGVUQ0rdSrOCKFcTr_tBJi0cM4TgGBBiCyYNnAek 3ut4g7Rhj4zW09y

Fritz
07-28-2021, 10:13 AM

But your idol wants him back, so he's going to be b-a-a-a-c-k.

Sparkey
07-28-2021, 10:14 AM
Lighten up everybody. Rodgers is back. That makes the Packers one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl. Whether, it's for 1 year, 2 years, or (fill in the blank Tex) years, that's a great thing. You think Bears fans are happy about this?

Am I excited about trading for Randall Cobb? Not really. But it's not like Cobb makes the team worse, and might make it better if he can stay healthy. I mean, this is not the John Hadl Trade Deux.

It's been a rough offseason. Training Camp is here. Time to look ahead. Time to break out the Kool-aid.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/e7h41YxzQM9cBnFiGQ0yQX-beoeTMQB94LGVUQ0rdSrOCKFcTr_tBJi0cM4TgGBBiCyYNnAek 3ut4g7Rhj4zW09y

He also takes a roster spot from a potentially better player.

Joemailman
07-28-2021, 10:55 AM

There's a 16 man practice squad this year. They'll be able to keep anyone they want very much.

George Cumby
07-28-2021, 11:27 AM
Does anyone know what was traded for Cobb?

I'm hoping it wasn't more than a couple cases of Leinenkugels's.

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2021, 11:35 AM

Shove your sunny disposition up your ass.

texaspackerbacker
07-28-2021, 11:36 AM
Cobb has been in decline for years already. This goes to show why Gute told Rodgers to shut up and let the more knowledgeable people run the team.

Very True, and making "heartless" decisions like not paying Cobb, not paying Nelson, not paying Kuhn, etc. are a big part of why the Packers have stayed near the top for so long. Of course, 30 years of Favre and Rodgers has even more to do with it.

I'm not at all happy with this whole situation. The only way Murphy and Gutekunst can salvage it is if they pull off a miracle and keep Rodgers beyond this year.

texaspackerbacker
07-28-2021, 11:41 AM

You know, nobody is more of a Kool-Aid drinker than I am most of the time, but not this time. Yeah, maybe if things fall right, one more Super Bowl (as I said, BFD - I can't get very excited about that if it's followed by 5-10 years of crap).

Maybe a couple of early season wins will get me back in the right place/take all the post '21 shit off my mind. But right now, I'm NOT pleased.

NewsBruin
07-28-2021, 11:44 AM
How do the Texans pick up Cobb's salary, capwise? Do they just convert it to signing (or roster) bonus and have that accelerate onto their books when the trade occurs?

Anti-Polar Bear
07-28-2021, 12:34 PM
You got the thread title wrong.

Ya right. Thread title shoulda read Bring ‘Black’ Rand(all Cobb).

Regardless, I’m glad Cobby’s gonna be a-donning the Green and Musta Yella once more. Time to dust off my green 18 replica jersey.

red
07-28-2021, 12:34 PM

I heard it was swapping late round picks

But nothing exact

red
07-28-2021, 12:37 PM
One bright spot would be that Cobb is a team leader and will take the rookie under his wing and teach him what he knows

That could help in the long run

Anti-Polar Bear
07-28-2021, 12:48 PM

Like who? As a downtrodden person, I’m all for Cinderellas beating the odds, but you’re delusional if you think the Kung Fus of the likes of Taylor, Shepherd, St. Paul and Funchess are better than Cobb’s.

Adams, MVS, Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers are locks. The rest of the pass catchers currently on the roster are a bit like myself, an alienated burger-flipper: faceless, hapless and expendable.

hoosier
07-28-2021, 01:09 PM

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81HqfpMuDQL._SL1500_.jpg ??????

RashanGary
07-28-2021, 01:33 PM
One bright spot would be that Cobb is a team leader and will take the rookie under his wing and teach him what he knows

That could help in the long run

Yep. Similar skill sets. Throwing a rookie into a big role would just lead to him being in the dog house early for 12. Let him see how chemistry works for a year and then give him his shot.

Joemailman
07-28-2021, 01:51 PM
Shove your sunny disposition up your ass.

You need to get out more.

https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000310961751-bprtqt-t500x500.jpg

George Cumby
07-28-2021, 03:34 PM
I heard it was swapping late round picks

But nothing exact

Fair enough.

Thanks.

SudsMcBucky
07-28-2021, 03:35 PM
Trade is for a 2022 6th round pick.

Joemailman
07-28-2021, 03:51 PM
Trade is for a 2022 6th round pick.

Texans help pay salary.

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
The #Packers are trading a 2022 sixth-round pick to the #Texans for WR Randall Cobb, source said. Houston is also expected to pay $3 million of Cobb’s salary to facilitate the deal. Aaron Rodgers gets his man.
3:21 PM · Jul 28, 2021 from Green Bay, WI

texaspackerbacker
07-28-2021, 04:13 PM
Well, at least we didn't give much. And Houston paying $3m out of $8m makes it not quite so bad.

The ONLY reason I'd say this trade is acceptable at all is to please Rodgers. On the other hand, that's a pretty powerful reason to do it.

red
07-28-2021, 04:55 PM
Well, at least we didn't give much. And Houston paying $3m out of $8m makes it not quite so bad.

The ONLY reason I'd say this trade is acceptable at all is to please Rodgers. On the other hand, that's a pretty powerful reason to do it.

Yeah, 5 million dollar cap hit this year and less then 8 if we keep him next year isn't the end of the world, even if he is mediocre at best these days

Bretsky
07-28-2021, 08:27 PM

Was listening to ESPN 1070 Steve the Homer True today

He chatted with AROD and Cobb about 3 weeks ago; both were hoping to be in GB about now. I think these discussions have been in the works

ThunderDan
07-29-2021, 07:33 AM
Yeah, 5 million dollar cap hit this year and less then 8 if we keep him next year isn't the end of the world, even if he is mediocre at best these days

I think we get the whole cap hit unless Houston updated the contract before the trade. We only have to pay the 5 million for cash purposes.

Tony Oday
07-29-2021, 08:13 AM
Expensive for a guy that will be hurt for 10 of 17 games.

Upnorth
07-29-2021, 09:17 AM
I think we get the whole cap hit unless Houston updated the contract before the trade. We only have to pay the 5 million for cash purposes.

I read that houston is keeping 3.25 of the cap hit due to signing bonus, just like even if we traded 12 we would still have been dinged 14 mill.(or something like that)

Sparkey
07-29-2021, 09:46 AM
There's a 16 man practice squad this year. They'll be able to keep anyone they want very much.

I was not aware of this. Are there any stipulations on its usage: Like say, accrued years limit, so only players with x or less years can be placed on it ?

NewsBruin
07-29-2021, 08:01 PM
I was not aware of this. Are there any stipulations on its usage: Like say, accrued years limit, so only players with x or less years can be placed on it ?

From your fingers to God's ears.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31869693/nfl-carry-flexible-roster-rules-2021

16-man squad.
4 can be protected from poaching.
6 can be veterans.
2 can be called up the day before.
1 can be a COVID-emergency call-up as late as 90 minutes before kickoff
Unlimited Injured Reserve callbacks; 3-week minimum on IR

The only thing I didn't read that I'm curious about is any quarantine requirements for street free-agents.

NewsBruin
07-29-2021, 08:25 PM
I read that houston is keeping 3.25 of the cap hit due to signing bonus, just like even if we traded 12 we would still have been dinged 14 mill.(or something like that)

Per Sportrac (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/randall-cobb-7783/), the Texans must have converted $3M of this season's salary to a roster or option bonus. Sportrac claims their Dead Money for Cobb is $5M for this season ($3M salary + $2M prorated signing bonus) and $2M on 2022's cap (remainder of signing bonus). I thought teams had to eat signing bonuses on trades against their salary cap, just as if they cut the player.

That's nice for Cobb. That $3M from Houston is now due to him whether or not he makes GB's final roster. He'd have to have two arms and a leg fall off to miss the cut in Green Bay, but the Texans could have threatened to waive him before Opening Day to negate his guaranteed salary and active-roster bonuses.

texaspackerbacker
07-29-2021, 10:17 PM
4 can be protected from poaching ....... that pretty much increases the roster from 53 to 57. These new rules, I would guess, are especially helpful to a deep team like the Packers. It's a damn shame every year when seemingly good players get cut. There should be less of that this year.

I wonder what if any effect on the cap there is having those extra 4 protected and up to 6 veterans on the PS.

Bretsky
07-30-2021, 12:10 AM
Per Sportrac (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/randall-cobb-7783/)
That's nice for Cobb. That $3M from Houston is now due to him whether or not he makes GB's final roster. He'd have to have two arms and a leg fall off to miss the cut in Green Bay, but the Texans could have threatened to waive him before Opening Day to negate his guaranteed salary and active-roster bonuses.

CLASSIC ENDING; AROD MARVELS ABOUT COBB

RANDALL COBB IS CUT THE NEXT DAY .....lol

Anti-Polar Bear
08-10-2021, 01:15 AM
I wonder who else they might bring back…Hopefully, not Jake Kumerow.

Folks in Buffalo and upper New York are chirping about Kumerow’s extraordinary camp. Says the White Jesus looks like the Mafias’ best wideout not named Diggs.

Thanks, German Shepherd!

King Friday
08-10-2021, 04:25 AM
Folks in Buffalo and upper New York are chirping about Kumerow’s extraordinary camp. Says the White Jesus looks like the Mafias’ best wideout not named Diggs.

Thanks, German Shepherd!

That has been said of Kumerow a lot over the years. Always looks great in shorts during OTAs and camp.

To this point, he has 21 total catches in his NFL career. Adams can do that in one game. If he was something dynamic, he would have more volume than that at this point in his career.

Upnorth
08-10-2021, 08:06 AM
That has been said of Kumerow a lot over the years. Always looks great in shorts during OTAs and camp.

To this point, he has 21 total catches in his NFL career. Adams can do that in one game. If he was something dynamic, he would have more volume than that at this point in his career.

If he had not been a nothing with the bills last year I might be inclined to think what apb did.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-10-2021, 12:48 PM
If he had not been a nothing with the bills last year I might be inclined to think what apb did.

The NFL is not like the NBA where a player could sign with a new team and learn the Triangle Offense overnight. NFL playbooks are thick and complex. Kumerrow signed with Buffalo in September. Time was not on his side. Coaches aren’t too fond of playing receivers who aren’t at least familiar with ALL of the S,E,X,Y positions of the team.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-10-2021, 12:54 PM

Nobody is suggesting that Kumerrow is the next Jordy Nelson. But the guy can play. Poor man’s Adam Thielen. Pack coulda used Kumerrow when Adams and Lazard were on the DL. Coulda used Kumerrow when Lazard was struggling to get open against TB in the NFC Title game.

run pMc
08-10-2021, 11:01 PM
Nobody is suggesting that Kumerrow is the next Jordy Nelson. But the guy can play. Poor man’s Adam Thielen. Pack coulda used Kumerrow when Adams and Lazard were on the DL. Coulda used Kumerrow when Lazard was struggling to get open against TB in the NFC Title game.

No, they could have used Tee Higgins, Chase Claypool, or Michael Pittman.
They had Kumerow around long enough to know what they had in him. He couldn't ascend the depth chart and with those guys you're basically onto looking for the next guy at that point. You have constantly find younger players and try to coach whatever upside they have into production.

As for Randall Tex Cobb, he's a Chicago Bear killer and there's value in that, as well as keeping the QB happy and mentoring Amari... but he's an expensive concession to the QB and it's obvious the GM brought him back as such. I don't expect much from Cobb in terms of production. I also think it's a nail in Funchess' coffin (along with his Asian gaffe). Enjoy this team, I think it will look very different in 12 months.

King Friday
08-11-2021, 07:30 AM
Time was not on his side.

The guy has been a pro football player since 2016. He has 21 total catches in his career. He has had plenty of time to prove himself, and he hasn't distinguished himself to be anything more than JAG. He has played on an NFL field. He has gotten as much of a shot as anyone could hope for. He's done very little with it...because he's JAG.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-11-2021, 10:32 AM
The guy has been a pro football player since 2016. He has 21 total catches in his career. He has had plenty of time to prove himself, and he hasn't distinguished himself to be anything more than JAG. He has played on an NFL field. He has gotten as much of a shot as anyone could hope for. He's done very little with it...because he's JAG.

Look, boomer, in today’s black-dominated realm, white knights are extremely rare. If you see a white knight in shinny armor a-dancing in the rye, you’re better off letting him fight with you. That’s why I hold such gracious fondnesses for Bill Schroeder, Jordy Nelson, Jeff Janis and Kumerow.

On serious note, as ‘Butte’ mentioned, Kumerow was the Pack’s best receiver in the preseason last year. You know that they put on pads and tackle in exhibition games, right?

Suppose you’re right and Kumerow is just a JAG, you’re telling me the Kung Fus of “JAGs” like St. Paul, Taylor, Shepherd and Begelton outshined that of Kumerow? Hell, an argument could be made to support the notion of Kumerow’s Kung Fu being even better than that of Lazard’s.

Kumerow has been looking like a “star” against Mr. Hyde and the Bills’ Legion of Doom secondary, according to tweets.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-11-2021, 10:43 AM
No, they could have used Tee Higgins, Chase Claypool, or Michael Pittman.
They had Kumerow around long enough to know what they had in him. He couldn't ascend the depth chart and with those guys you're basically onto looking for the next guy at that point. You have constantly find younger players and try to coach whatever upside they have into production.

As for Randall Tex Cobb, he's a Chicago Bear killer and there's value in that, as well as keeping the QB happy and mentoring Amari... but he's an expensive concession to the QB and it's obvious the GM brought him back as such. I don't expect much from Cobb in terms of production. I also think it's a nail in Funchess' coffin (along with his Asian gaffe). Enjoy this team, I think it will look very different in 12 months.

Or, better, DK Metcalf.

Aside from Wu-Tanging (producing) in camp last year, Kumerow also had 12’s trust. 12’s not gonna throw the rock to some undrafted/day 3 rookie/sophomore free agent/draft pick from Southern Kentucky Corn State A&M without trust.

Shoulda kept Kumerow in the Green and Musta Yella.