PDA

View Full Version : My Stab At 53 Man Roster (Pre-Training Camp)

Joemailman
07-28-2021, 10:53 AM
QB (2): Aaron Rogers, Jordan Love
RB (3): Aaron Jones, A.J. Dillon, Kylin Hill,
WR (6): Davante Adams, Devin Funchess, Allen Lazard, Amari Rodgers, Randall Cobb, MVS
TE: (4) Marcedes Lewis, Robert Tonyan, Josiah Deguara, Dominique Dafney
OL: (9) Josh Myers, Elgton Jenkins, Lucas Patrick, Jon Runyan, Billy Turner, Royce Newman, David Bakhtiari, Simon Stepaniak, Ben Braden

DL: (5) Kenny Clark, Tyler Lancaster, Dean Lowry, T.J. Slaton, Kingsley Keke
ILB (5) De'vondre Campbell, Kamal Martin, Ty Summers, Krys Barnes, Oren Burks
OLB (5) Jonathan Garvin, Rashan Gary, Preston Smith, Zadarius Smith, Randy Ramsey
DB: (11) Jaire Alexander, Kevin King, Josh Jackson, Shemar Jean-Charles, Eric Stokes, Chandon Sullivan, Adrian Amos, Darnell Savage, Vernon Scott, Christian Uphoff, Henry Black

ST: (3) Mason Crosby, J.K. Scott, Joe Fortunato

PS: (16) Kabian Ento, Zack Johnson, Delontae Scott, Kurt Benkert, Yoch Nijman, Cole Van Lanen, Malik Taylor, Juwan Winfree, Will Redmond, Isaiah McDuffie, Tipa Gileai, Bailey Gaither, Bronson Kaufusi, Jake Hanson, Willington Previlon, Stanford Samuels

Suspended: Jace Sternberger

Spaulding
07-28-2021, 11:10 AM
Joe, I think you're spot on although I vary on two positions.

QB/RB/TE/DL/OLB I think are all pretty cut and dried. I'd be shocked if it wasn't the ones you listed barring some miracle in camp by an UDFA. Where I deviate is the following:

ILB - Burks will be gone. Even though he's a stud on special teams, spots are at such a premium this year that I think the Packers roll with only 4 ILB's to start the season
DB - Will Redmond instead of Henry Black (where I think he ends up on the practice squad)

The extra roster spot then goes to OL where I think they keep Van Lanen or maybe they keep 5 ILB's with McDuffie filling out the last spot.

Fearful they will lose Ento and Malik Taylor as well now that they have to roster Cobb for one year - sigh.

Jaire
07-28-2021, 02:10 PM
Patrick, Bakh, & Deguara on PUP make this a lot easier.

The WRs will be most interesting.

Joemailman
08-01-2021, 11:42 PM
WR (6): Davante Adams, Devin Funchess, Allen Lazard, Amari Rodgers, Randall Cobb, MVS
OL: (9) Josh Myers, Elgton Jenkins, Lucas Patrick, Jon Runyan, Billy Turner, Royce Newman, David Bakhtiari, Simon Stepaniak, Ben Braden

OLB (5) Jonathan Garvin, Rashan Gary, Preston Smith, Zadarius Smith, Randy Ramsey
DB: (11) Jaire Alexander, Kevin King, Josh Jackson, Shemar Jean-Charles, Eric Stokes, Chandon Sullivan, Adrian Amos, Darnell Savage, Vernon Scott, Christian Uphoff, Henry Black

PS: (16) Kabian Ento, Zack Johnson, Delontae Scott, Kurt Benkert, Yoch Nijman, Cole Van Lanen, Malik Taylor, Juwan Winfree, Will Redmond, Isaiah McDuffie, Tipa Gileai, Bailey Gaither, Bronson Kaufusi, Jake Hanson, Willington Previlon, Stanford Samuels

Dennis Kelly replaces Stepaniak.

Fritz
08-06-2021, 09:00 AM

I think you're going to see either Encyclopedia St. Brown or Malik Taylor in that WR spot instead of Funchess. Funchess is kind of a JAG whose long frame teases. And I think that, with Cobb on board now, the team will push Amari Rodgers even more into the return game, which I think does not bode well for Taylor. But ESB has to show he can consistently catch the football.

Fritz
08-06-2021, 09:01 AM
WR (6): Davante Adams, ______] Allen Lazard, Amari Rodgers, Randall Cobb, MVS

And either Burks or Summers is gone, unless they need an extra ILB to take Ramsey's outside spot.

bobblehead
08-06-2021, 09:08 AM
I think some good points are made. I think Summers and Burks are both gone. Also agree Funchess is gone for the wonder kid in camp, Juwaan Winfree. I can only go by reports but EVERYONE is loving him.

Guiness
08-06-2021, 01:55 PM
Any chance (Amari) Rodgers plays well making Cobb redundant? That would be:shtf:
Not saying it's the case, but I wonder what it would take for the other Rodgers to realize Cobb didn't add anything to the team.

Sparkey
08-06-2021, 02:26 PM
Any chance (Amari) Rodgers plays well making Cobb redundant? That would be:shtf:
Not saying it's the case, but I wonder what it would take for the other Rodgers to realize Cobb didn't add anything to the team.

How dare you question the GOAT!

You are now required to wear your hair in a bun for 1 month and purchase 10 Jake Kumrow jerseys as penance!

wthigoot
08-06-2021, 04:19 PM
I think you're going to see either Encyclopedia St. Brown or Malik Taylor in that WR spot instead of Funchess. Funchess is kind of a JAG whose long frame teases. And I think that, with Cobb on board now, the team will push Amari Rodgers even more into the return game, which I think does not bode well for Taylor. But ESB has to show he can consistently catch the football.

https://lombardiave.com/2021/08/06/packers-juwann-winfree-impessing-camp/

Typical early preseason hopium article on a long-shot to make the roster. The one noticeable thing was the mention of Winfree being able to get a quick release off the line - that is Adams trademark and if someone else can do it reasonably well they might have a chance. Seems like they will probably have to try to move him to practice squad initially, regardless of how good he is in camp.

Upnorth
08-06-2021, 08:04 PM
Re cobb, I want to see adams and mvs wide, cobb and amari in slot and dillion in back field. Put either tamari or Cobb in motion then see what the hell the d can do....

Fritz
08-06-2021, 08:57 PM
https://lombardiave.com/2021/08/06/packers-juwann-winfree-impessing-camp/

Typical early preseason hopium article on a long-shot to make the roster. The one noticeable thing was the mention of Winfree being able to get a quick release off the line - that is Adams trademark and if someone else can do it reasonably well they might have a chance. Seems like they will probably have to try to move him to practice squad initially, regardless of how good he is in camp.

I think you're going to see him and Encyclopedia St. Brown duking it out for that last spot. Who has better hands? Who can contribute more blocking? Who's better on special teams?

Bretsky
08-06-2021, 10:17 PM
I think you're going to see him and Encyclopedia St. Brown duking it out for that last spot. Who has better hands? Who can contribute more blocking? Who's better on special teams?

And does either of them have a nice ceiling.....upside...that's why WW Jesus was never making it

Anti-Polar Bear
08-07-2021, 12:28 AM
I think some good points are made. I think Summers and Burks are both gone. Also agree Funchess is gone for the wonder kid in camp, Juwaan Winfree. I can only go by reports but EVERYONE is loving him.

Summers is ahead of Martin on the depth. He plays ST and he’s Aryan. They’re not cutting Summers.

What twisted logic are you utilizing?

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2021, 03:05 PM
Double Post

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2021, 03:05 PM
Locks (44 players)

QB (2) - Aaron Rodgers, Jordan Love
RB (3) - Aaron Jones, A.J. Dillon, Kylin Hill
WR (5) - Davante Adams, MVS, Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard, Amari Rodgers
TE (4) - Robert Tonyan, Marcedes Lewis, Josiah Deguara, Dominique Dafney, (SUSP Jace Sternberger)
OL (6) - David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Royce Newman, Billy Turner, Jon Runyan
DL (4) - Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry, Kingsley Keke, T.J. Slaton
OLB (4) - Za'Darius Smith, Rashan Gary, Preston Smith, Jonathan Garvin
ILB (4) - Krys Barnes, De'Vondre Campbell, Ty Summers, Oren Burks
CB (5) - Jaire Alexander, Eric Stokes, Kevin King, Chandon Sullivan, Shemar Jean-Charles
S (4) - Darnell Savage, Arian Amos, Vernon Scott, Henry Black
ST (3) - Mason Crosby, J.K. Scott, Hunter Bradley

I think 21 players have a chance at the other 9 spots. I think there will be an even bigger emphasis on special teams for these 9 spots.

QB (1, 0-1) - Kurt Benkert
RB (2, 0-1) - Patrick Taylor, Dexter Williams
WR (3, 1-2) - Malik Taylor, Devin Funchess, Juwann Winfree
OL (5, 3-4) - Ben Braden, Lucas Patrick, Yosh Nijman, Cole Van Lanen, Dennis Kelly
DL (2, 1) - Jack Heflin, Tyler Lancaster
OLB (2, 0-1) - Chauncey Rivers, Tipa Galeai
ILB (1, 0-1) - Isaiah McDuffie
CB (3, 1-2) - Kabian Ento, Isaac Yiadom
S (2, 0-1) - Christian Uphoff, Innis Gaines

I think either Malik Taylor or Devin Funchess will make the roster as the #6 WR. Winfree's injury probably rules him out. I lean towards Taylor for special teams--with Funchess being a candidate for trade.

I think either Jack Heflin or Tyler Lancaster will make the roster as the #5 DL. I think it's 50/50 right now. Heflin has a chance to win a roster spot with another good preseason game.

I think either Kabian Ento or Isaac Yiadom will make the roster as the #6 CB. Ento is better in coverage, but he can't tackle. This will come down to special teams, and I'm not sure who is the better special teams player.

I think either Yosh Nijman or Dennis Kelly will make the roster as the #4 OT. I think Nijman has the edge right now. Kelly needs to get healthy and show something.

I think Ben Braden is a near lock as the #4 IOL and either Lucas Patrick or Cole Van Lanen will make the roster as the #9 OL. I lean towards Patrick right now, but he needs to outperform Van Lanen in the final preseason game.

I don't think either RB will make the roster.

I think both OLBs would clear waivers, so I think they'll be put on PS and won't make the roster spot initially.

Locks (50 players)

WR (6) - Davante Adams, MVS, Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard, Amari Rodgers, Malik Taylor OR Devin Funchess
TE (4) - Robert Tonyan, Marcedes Lewis, Josiah Deguara, Dominique Dafney, (SUSP Jace Sternberger)
OL (9) - David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Royce Newman, Billy Turner, Jon Runyan, Ben Braden, Yosh Njiman OR Dennis Kelly, Lucas Patrick OR Cole Van Lanen
DL (5) - Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry, Kingsley Keke, T.J. Slaton, Jack Heflin OR Tyler Lancaster
ILB (4) - Krys Barnes, De'Vondre Campbell, Ty Summers, Oren Burks
CB (6) - Jaire Alexander, Eric Stokes, Kevin King, Chandon Sullivan, Shemar Jean-Charles, Kabian Ento OR Isaac Yiadom
S (4) - Darnell Savage, Arian Amos, Vernon Scott, Henry Black

That leaves QB Kurt Benkert, LB Isaiah McDuffie, possibly one more OL, and S Christian Uphoff or S Innis Gaines fighting for 3 roster spots. I lean towards McDuffie and Uphoff because of special teams. The last spot will come down to Benkert or another OL as insurance for Bakh.

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2021, 03:08 PM
My Projections after Preason Game #2

WR (6) - Davante Adams, MVS, Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard, Amari Rodgers, Malik Taylor
TE (4) - Robert Tonyan, Marcedes Lewis, Josiah Deguara, Dominique Dafney
OL (10) - David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Royce Newman, Billy Turner, Jon Runyan, Ben Braden, Lucas Patrick, Yosh Njiman, Cole Van Lanen
DL (5) - Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry, Kingsley Keke, T.J. Slaton, Jack Heflin
ILB (5) - Krys Barnes, De'Vondre Campbell, Ty Summers, Oren Burks, Isaiah McDuffie
CB (6) - Jaire Alexander, Eric Stokes, Kevin King, Chandon Sullivan, Shemar Jean-Charles, Kabian Ento
S (5) - Darnell Savage, Arian Amos, Vernon Scott, Henry Black, Christian Uphoff

SUSP Jace Sternberger
IR Will Redman, Randy Ramsey
TRADE Devin Funchess

There are actually quite a few spots still up for grabs.

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2021, 03:21 PM
Devin Funchess placed on IR--which doesn't affect my projection.

Fritz
08-25-2021, 03:39 PM
Does anyone think they can and will try to sneak Encyclopedia St. Brown onto the taxi squad?

texaspackerbacker
08-25-2021, 04:03 PM
St. Brown should make the team or at very least, the P.S. Horrible if we lose him.

No shit, Funchess is on IR? Season ending IR? I haven't seen the news. If that's true, it absolutely makes my day!

I guess it's time to get off my lazy ass and post my stab at the 53 plus P.S. before next Tuesday when it actually is fairly final. Maybe tomorrow.

smuggler
08-25-2021, 09:19 PM
They'll probably work an injury settlement with Funchess.

Spaulding
08-26-2021, 08:47 AM
Looks good Harv and likely spot on. One variable is Z's health to start the season. If his back is still an issue I think they keep Rivers (they might anyways) and then will likely keep only (4) ILB's, especially since they seem to play traditional 3-4 scheme roughly 20% of the time. That might change under Barry, especially with a good coverage ILB in Campbell but from a numbers standpoint I don't know that they can afford the luxury of 5 ILB's. I also wouldn't be surprised to see an OL traded if they feel Njiman finally deserves a spot on the 53.

texaspackerbacker
08-26-2021, 10:30 AM
It's obviously not pre-training camp now, but I want to get my version on record before the final cutdown.

3 special teamers: Bradley LS, Crosby K both just about locks. J.K. Scott could be replaced if somebody half decent is a late cut elsewhere.

2 QBs with 1 PS: Obviously Rodgers and Love on the 53 unless lightning strikes and Love gets traded - which I'd like, but I doubt very much. Benkert PS unless he is traded or they absolutely need to keep him on the 53 not to lose him.

3 RBs plus probably 2 PS: The obvious here too - Jones, Dylan, and Hill on the 53 with D. Williams and P. Taylor on the PS.

4 TEs on the 53: Lewis, Tonyan, Deguara, and Dafney with Sternberger suspended and IMO not replacing one of the others when he come back - cut or maybe PSed. Maybe Kafausi PS but I doubt it.

6 WRs plus at least 2 on the PS: Adams, Lazard, MVS, Cobb, Amari Rodgers, St. Brown, Malik Taylor on the 53, Begelton and Winfrey PS unless Winfrey is injured bad enough for IR which I doubt.

9 OLine plus 2 PS: Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Myers, Turner, Newman, Patrick, Runyan, Braden, Nijman on the 53, Hanson and Van Lanen PS.

5 DLine plus 2 or 3 PS: Clark, Keke, Slayton, and two from among Lowery, Lancaster, Heflin, and Previlon on the 53 with the other 2 on PS. My guess is Lowery and Heflin make the 53.

5 ILBs plus 1 PS: Barnes, Campbell, Summers, Burks, McDuffie on the 53 with Wilburn PS.

4 OLBs plus 2 PS: Z. and P. Smith, Gary, and 1 from among Garvin, Gileai, and D. Scott with the other two PS. My guess is Garvin makes the 53.

6 Corners on the 53: Alexander, Stokes, King, Sullivan, Jean-Charles, Ento

6 Safetys on the 53: Amos, Savage, V. Scott, Uphoff, Gaines, and Black.

If I added right, that's 53 total plus 2 PS, leaving room for 4 other pick ups. The only veterans would be Lancaster and Sternberger if either is PSed. I'd put the untouchable designation on Benkert and nobody else obvious.

HarveyWallbangers
08-26-2021, 11:42 AM
If I added right, that's 53 total plus 2 PS, leaving room for 4 other pick ups. The only veterans would be Lancaster and Sternberger if either is PSed. I'd put the untouchable designation on Benkert and nobody else obvious.

You didn't. You wrote 6 WRs, but then listed 7. I doubt ESB makes the team. Too injury prone, doesn't play special teams, hasn't really progressed since the end of his rookie year.

texaspackerbacker
08-26-2021, 06:28 PM
St. Brown damn well better make the team! With damn Funchess out of the way, there's plenty of room for both him and Malik Taylor. I hear St. Brown is healthy and has been practicing with the first string this week. This week's game is big for him.

I guess modify my roster prediction by putting one of the Safetys on the PS - probably Gaines, although Henry Black would be my preference. I also forgot Dennis Kelly among the O Linemen. PS him if he is healthy enough or maybe replace Nijman on the 53 with him.

run pMc
08-27-2021, 08:46 AM
St. Brown is back practicing, but I had not heard it was with first team. If that's true I would guess it's to see if he has any timing with Rodgers, but I doubt they are giving him many snaps with first team with Cobb, MVS and Adams running with the 1's. Plus they need to work Amari in.
I liked ESB as a prospect and was thrilled he fell to GB but he's done very little to justify keeping him on the 53 at this point. It's close, but I'd keep Taylor over ESB from what I've seen, and ESB should make it to the PS if they want to keep developing him.

Henry Black makes the team over Gaines. Gaines is hit and miss for me, but he has a shot. I think Uphoff has long term potential to develop and they either keep him for ST or try to stash him on the PS.

Thanks for the analysis on Nijman; I've wondered about him and his development. By Year 3 he's either a tackle or he's gone.

The rookie center Myers seems to be doing ok.

RashanGary
08-27-2021, 09:26 AM
Lazard is underrated too. Rodgers has 4 legitimate WRs, a legit TE and Jones. If the OL can protect, Rodgers will have another great year.

bobblehead
08-27-2021, 09:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that everything I hoped for from MVS materialize this season. 1k yards seems likely to me.

Spaulding
08-27-2021, 10:08 AM
I'm pretty sure that everything I hoped for from MVS materialize this season. 1k yards seems likely to me.

I'm definitely on the MVS bandwagon. Grabbing him for cheap in all my fantasy leagues. He's going to explode when Adams gets doubled - BOOM.

RashanGary
08-27-2021, 11:04 AM

MVS is an extremely valuable piece to this puzzle. We simply don’t have another legitimate deep threat. If the OL can’t hold up, it’s gonna be harder for him to get those big plays though.

Also, he’s sharing catches with

Adams, Tonyan, Cobb, Lazard and Jones

I predict 800 yards, a bunch of huge gainers and his best season yet. But it’s hard to split catches with 5 other guys and still have a 1,000 yard season.

RashanGary
08-27-2021, 11:10 AM
If we can keep Lazard, Tonyan and MVS, I think I’d rather keep the three of them than keep Adams.

Bretsky
08-27-2021, 06:57 PM
If we can keep Lazard, Tonyan and MVS, I think I’d rather keep the three of them than keep Adams.

That's a Holy Shit statement

We can find a Lazard and MVS every year in the draft or free agency.
Tonyan is unique but I wouldn't overpay for him.

How hard is to find the next Davante Adams ?

This statement smells like you are trying to defend the omniscient Gutebag ahead of time

call_me_ishmael
08-27-2021, 09:13 PM

The Packers 1000% disagree with you lol. Lazard is just a guy, the Packers aren’t showing any indications of wanting to keep Tonyan around (although I personally think he’s a good player) and MVS is the type of guy who might sneak on to most teams as a #4 or #5, mayyybbbee a number 3 on a bad team. To be clear, he’s our 5th option as a pass catcher, maybe 6th

Spaulding
08-27-2021, 09:40 PM
The Packers 1000% disagree with you lol. Lazard is just a guy, the Packers aren’t showing any indications of wanting to keep Tonyan around (although I personally think he’s a good player) and MVS is the type of guy who might sneak on to most teams as a #4 or #5, mayyybbbee a number 3 on a bad team. To be clear, he’s our 5th option as a pass catcher, maybe 6th

Lots of variables here. I think Rashan is saying is that given the cap situation next year, it's like money ball. You can field a Lazard/MVS/Tonyan for likely the cost of a single Adams and have a functioning offense and thus lose less on the defensive side of the ball all things considered.

In an ideal world you'd keep them all but the reality is that you if you keep Adams you're losing several other non bargain players off the roster.

I do not want Adams at (he'll be 29 this December) at a max contract for the next 4 years. If they can extend him for two more years at top dollar I think he's earned it and that would be fine but a WR North of 30 is a risky proposition. We saw Jordy and many others dove tail at that point.

Then again having functional WR's to man the ship until you draft the next Davante (maybe Amari will be it?, likely not though) works too.

Remember the Packers are slated to be 50 million over the cap next year. You can't have it all. Rolling without Davante would hurt but I'm guessing hurt less than the loss of others.

It seems inevitable that Rodgers/Adams/Cobb/P.Smith will be gone next year to fit under the cap.

texaspackerbacker
08-27-2021, 10:24 PM

You're 1000% wrong about this, of course hahahahaha.

Lazard may have seemed like "just a guy" coming out of college, but he has proven on the field what he can do - be an above average receiver and an elite blocker from the WR position. And 6'5" with 4.55 speed is pretty impressive too. Valdez-Scantling is a combination of elite speed and size that virtually nobody else in the league has. He also has proven to be an above average blocker as a WR. His route running and catching aren't quite as good as they should be, but both improved a lot last season. Who do you see in the whole league who has been assets and performance as a #2 WR much less a #3? I'd say nobody. And Tonyan is probably one of the top 3 or 4 TEs in the league now. Aaron Rodgers probably makes all of them seem even better than they are, but he didn't make them 6'4" or 6'5" or bless them with the speed they have. The only thing we were lacking was a small shifty sot guy like Cobb used to be - and maybe still is. And now we have Amari Rodgers who there's a strong chance will be better than Cobb ever was. All that and St. Brown and Malik Taylor at the bottom of the group, and nobody else is even close.

QBME
08-28-2021, 08:02 AM
They'll probably work an injury settlement with Funchess.

Bingo!

bobblehead
08-28-2021, 08:45 AM
MVS is an extremely valuable piece to this puzzle. We simply don’t have another legitimate deep threat. If the OL can’t hold up, it’s gonna be harder for him to get those big plays though.

Also, he’s sharing catches with

Adams, Tonyan, Cobb, Lazard and Jones

I predict 800 yards, a bunch of huge gainers and his best season yet. But it’s hard to split catches with 5 other guys and still have a 1,000 yard season.

I have watched the NFCC game a few times. They aren't using him in practice games but I have read he really worked on his hands. Have seen many reports of him catching crossers and other routes. He will be more than just a deep threat this season (which will make him even more of a deep threat)

bobblehead
08-28-2021, 08:48 AM

Your first sentence is good. You are about as wrong in everything after as you are right in that one. They are trying to lock Tonyan up. MVS would be the 2 on a lot of teams (most after this year). You want to keep adams, but do you want to pay him $25 million a year? I mean, it sucks, but you have to consider what you lose to sign a guy to that kind of money.

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2021, 11:51 PM
My final stab. The last few spots were tough because I think it will come down to special teams, and I don't really know who is good there. I'm pretty sure there will be mildly surprising cut (maybe Lancaster, Kelly, and/or Patrick).

QB - Aaron Rodgers, Jordan Love (2/2)
RB - Aaron Jones, A.J. Dillon, Kylin Hill (3/5)
WR - Davante Adams, MVS, Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard, Amari Rodgers, Malik Taylor (6/11)
TE - Robert Tonyan, Marcedes Lewis, Josiah Deguara, Dominique Dafney (4/15)
OL - David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Royce Newman, Billy Turner, Jon Runyan, Yosh Nijman, Lucas Patrick, Ben Braden, Dennis Kelly (10/25)
DL - Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry, Kingsley Keke, T.J. Slaton, Jack Heflin, Tyler Lancaster (6/31)
OLB - Za'Darius Smith, Rashan Gary, Preston Smith, Jonathan Garvin (4/35)
ILB - Krys Barnes, De'Vondre Campbell, Ty Summers, Oren Burks, Isaiah McDuffie (5/40)
CB - Jaire Alexander, Eric Stokes, Kevin King, Chandon Sullivan, Shemar Jean-Charles, Kabian Ento (6/46)
S - Darnell Savage, Arian Amos, Henry Black, Vernon Scott (4/50)
ST - Mason Crosby, J.K. Scott, Hunter Bradley (3/53)

I think if/when Bakh gets put on IR, they'll resign the best special teams player (Gaines, Uphoff, or Yiadom) or they'll go with an OLB (Rivers or Galeai) as insurance for Za'Darius Smith.

Ento vs. Yiadom was a tough one. Ento can't tackle. Yiadom can't cover. Teams lean towards coverage ability. However, Yiadom might win based on special teams.

OL was tough too. I would be surprised if Runyan or Nijman didn't make the team, but any combination of Patrick, Braden, Kelly, and Van Lanen wouldn't surprise me.

Fritz
08-30-2021, 09:37 AM
Tyler Lancaster being cut would not offend me. He's barely functional. Also, I'm not sure about keeping all those O linemen. Wouldn't nine of them suffice, and you cut Braden or Kelly, at least?

I hope Gutes is scrutinizing the punter cuts on other teams.

bobblehead
08-30-2021, 09:49 AM
My final stab. The last few spots were tough because I think it will come down to special teams, and I don't really know who is good there. I'm pretty sure there will be mildly surprising cut (maybe Lancaster, Kelly, and/or Patrick).

WR - Davante Adams, MVS, Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard, Amari Rodgers, Malik Taylor (6/11)
OL - David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Royce Newman, Billy Turner, Jon Runyan, Yosh Nijman, Lucas Patrick, Ben Braden, Dennis Kelly (10/25)
DL - Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry, Kingsley Keke, T.J. Slaton, Jack Heflin, Tyler Lancaster (6/31)
ILB - Krys Barnes, De'Vondre Campbell, Ty Summers, Oren Burks, Isaiah McDuffie (5/40)
CB - Jaire Alexander, Eric Stokes, Kevin King, Chandon Sullivan, Shemar Jean-Charles, Kabian Ento (6/46)

I think if/when Bakh gets put on IR, they'll resign the best special teams player (Gaines, Uphoff, or Yiadom) or they'll go with an OLB (Rivers or Galeai) as insurance for Za'Darius Smith.

Ento vs. Yiadom was a tough one. Ento can't tackle. Yiadom can't cover. Teams lean towards coverage ability. However, Yiadom might win based on special teams.

OL was tough too. I would be surprised if Runyan or Nijman didn't make the team, but any combination of Patrick, Braden, Kelly, and Van Lanen wouldn't surprise me.

I think you nailed it. Possible variations would include Kelly being let go, JK Scott being released with no punter but then put Bak on PuP and sign a punter, or Kelly for Uphoff/Gaines. The number of questions with your roster makeup are insignificant.

smuggler
08-30-2021, 11:06 AM
I think Bakhtiari will remain on PUP and they'll probably keep one more CB. JK probably gets replaced by a waiver punter.

texaspackerbacker
08-30-2021, 12:16 PM
Harvey stumbled onto a great point - for Bakhtiari, maybe for St. Brown, maybe others. The IR rules now allow for bringing somebody back fairly quick - quicker than the PUP list, I think. Keep those guys on the 53 so IR is not season-ending, then IR them and bring up somebody from the PS.

I think and hope Scott gets replaced as Punter too - every time he punts, you have to hold your breath it won't get blocked, it seems, because of the time and long stride, not to mention the inconsistency of his distance and accuracy and the no guts tackling thing. However, somebody worthwhile has to show up on waivers, which ain't a sure thing.

Scott looks like Ray Guy and punts like Justa Guy.

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2021, 01:22 PM
Tyler Lancaster being cut would not offend me. He's barely functional. Also, I'm not sure about keeping all those O linemen. Wouldn't nine of them suffice, and you cut Braden or Kelly, at least?

I think the Packers usually keep 9 OL. If/when Bakh goes on IR, then I think 9 others will make the team. They may initially cut an OL (e.g. Braden) and bring him back--instead of a special teams player or another OLB--but I think they'll end up with 9 healthy OL when all is said and done.

HarveyWallbangers
08-31-2021, 02:28 PM

I missed on Jake Hanson over Ben Braden. That was out of left field, but it makes sense while Bakh is out. This points to Patrick starting at LG. That means both backup OCs are starting.

I also missed on Yiadom over Ento, but classified it as a tossup. :)

I thought Bakh would be on the final roster and then put on IR. Bakh staying on PUP opened a spot for Rivers.

This looks like the initial roster:

OL - Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Royce Newman, Billy Turner, Jon Runyan, Yosh Nijman, Lucas Patrick, Dennis Kelly, Jake Hanson (9/24)
DL - Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry, Kingsley Keke, T.J. Slaton, Jack Heflin, Tyler Lancaster (6/30)
OLB - Za'Darius Smith, Rashan Gary, Preston Smith, Jonathan Garvin, Chauncey Rivers (5/35)
CB - Jaire Alexander, Eric Stokes, Kevin King, Chandon Sullivan, Shemar Jean-Charles, Isaac Yiadom (6/46)

call_me_ishmael
08-31-2021, 03:11 PM
Packers are all in, they traded 2 picks for a punter (to replace a 5th round punter). Holy draft picks on a punter, batman, but this dude seems good.

HarveyWallbangers
08-31-2021, 03:14 PM
Packers are all in, they traded 2 picks for a punter (to replace a 5th round punter). Holy draft picks on a punter, batman, but this dude seems good.

I read it as them trading a 6th for a punter + a 7th--and not two picks for a punter.

HarveyWallbangers
08-31-2021, 03:23 PM
I know nothing about the guy. Looks like he led the NFL in punting average at 50.8 last year (and that was in Buffalo). Net average was 44--which was amongst the league leaders. Scott averaged 45.5 and 37.8 last year. His inside 20 average was better than Scott, but he had 7 touchbacks compared to Scott's 3. Looks like a nice upgrade as a punter. He's a lefty. Does he hold?

smuggler
08-31-2021, 07:01 PM
Hopeful for improvement from Special Teams this year.