PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Game 1

Sparkey
08-13-2021, 06:31 PM
Who is going ?

What are you hoping to see ?

I'll be there with my grandson, my brother and his nephew. I'm looking forward to seeing some Love on the field. I think the kids are more excited about the title town district and all it's goodies

RashanGary
08-14-2021, 06:21 AM
I’m excited to see Jordan Love!

Upnorth
08-14-2021, 08:35 AM
Finally some almost nfl football. I don't remember the last time I was this excited about preseason. Go Pack go

run pMc
08-14-2021, 01:46 PM
OL, RB and secondary battles. And the QB.

texaspackerbacker
08-14-2021, 01:51 PM
Stokes and Martin most of all. Also RBs Hill and Taylor - I'd like to see both of them make the team.

Sparkey
08-14-2021, 03:24 PM
I'll also enjoy watching Myers at center. Hopefully I don't notice him. Haha

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2021, 05:22 PM
Vikings backups (including Kellen Mond) look terrible, so that is a good start to the day. Justin Fields scares me though. I was a big fan of Fields and Trey Lance.

Bretsky
08-14-2021, 05:37 PM
Hate to admit it but as much as I hate all those prickwad players from Ohio State I really liked Justin Fields and I was all about trading AROD for that pick, a couple more 1's and 2 started from Denver as it was being reported.

Now if GB wins the Super Bowl not doing anything was the right move..........but if we don't and Fields turns out to be as good as I think he might........sorry Tex.....just saying....

texaspackerbacker
08-14-2021, 07:00 PM
Hate to admit it but as much as I hate all those prickwad players from Ohio State I really liked Justin Fields and I was all about trading AROD for that pick, a couple more 1's and 2 started from Denver as it was being reported.

Now if GB wins the Super Bowl not doing anything was the right move..........but if we don't and Fields turns out to be as good as I think he might........sorry Tex.....just saying....

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that in 5 years or so, Fields is seen by just about everybody as Just A Guy. Trubisky had more talent, and he floundered for the Bears. I hope all those Ohio state guys you hate doesn't include the guy snapping the ball to him.

If we had been supremely stupid enough to trade Rodgers - for basically anybody or anything, anytime, past, present, or future, the Packers would be approximately Bears level right now ...... well, maybe not that bad, but far far far from the top level of NFL football.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 07:19 PM
J-Lo looks like Aaron Brooks out there, and I ain’t just saying this cos they both are black. Same throwing motion.

Josh Jackson should go back to his day job, acting. He’s getting toasted out there.

Pack run defense looking good. Ain’t a coincidence that the run D is automatically better with Clark somewhere on a bench.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 07:22 PM
Looks like another 3 n out for J-Lo.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 07:26 PM
Burk with sack up the A gap. See, Kentucky, I know Futbol.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 07:31 PM
Nice throw to srernburger!

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 07:33 PM
Chinky Face with a catch.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 07:38 PM
Another catch by Funchess, to move the chain. Can tell he’s smiling behind his helmet. Eyes all chinky.

Guiness
Love with some nice completions. Funchess helping out and helping his case.

Previlon with a big assist on Burks sack, closing the back door.

Anti-Polar Bear
TD Hill!

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 07:40 PM
Why is the Lambeau Leap still legal? Times like these…

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 07:43 PM
Packers TV shows the Hill TD as a 22 yards “run.” Since when did they start jotting down screen passes as rushing attempts?

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 07:51 PM
Love playaction fake the wrong way on 4th n 2.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 07:51 PM
Another completion against Jackson

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 07:52 PM
And another one.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 08:10 PM
And Jackson allows another

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 08:11 PM
Brent Barry sure loves blitzing mikes and micks

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 08:18 PM
Bring back Tramon! The CBs currently playing suck donkey ass, especially Jackson.

Bossman641
08-14-2021, 08:22 PM
#22 looks like shit

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 08:25 PM
Love just got strip-sacked. LT’s fault, methinks.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 08:25 PM
A rare pick.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 08:26 PM
#22 looks like shit

Not as shitty as 37

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 08:30 PM
Just saw 28 on the tube. Dillion’s what, 22,23? He’s already balding.

I was balding at the same age. Too much self-love via aphrodisiac vids.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-14-2021, 08:30 PM
Fuck this shit. Gotta go flip burgers.

RashanGary
08-14-2021, 09:09 PM
Not as shitty as 37

37 is trash.

Love looked ok.

smuggler
08-14-2021, 09:20 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that in 5 years or so, Fields is seen by just about everybody as Just A Guy. Trubisky had more talent, and he floundered for the Bears. I hope all those Ohio state guys you hate doesn't include the guy snapping the ball to him.

If we had been supremely stupid enough to trade Rodgers - for basically anybody or anything, anytime, past, present, or future, the Packers would be approximately Bears level right now ...... well, maybe not that bad, but far far far from the top level of NFL football.

Maybe Trubs had more talent, but Fields may have more poise.

call_me_ishmael
08-14-2021, 10:14 PM
Trubisky does not have more talent than the new QB LOL!!! New guy is supremely talented!! Doesn’t mean he’ll be a great player as so much of that is cerebral but they don’t make ‘em better on paper.

call_me_ishmael
08-14-2021, 10:16 PM
The next three weeks are going to tell us a lot about if the Packers are gonna bohica to Rodgers or not. I’m camping so didn’t catch the game - how’d he look? We all know who he is.

RashanGary
08-14-2021, 10:42 PM
The next three weeks are going to tell us a lot about if the Packers are gonna bohica to Rodgers or not. I’m camping so didn’t catch the game - how’d he look? We all know who he is.

Made a couple really nice throws. Lost the ball when his hand got hit trying to throw. Nice touch on short passes, big arm on one deep throw. Looked solid but it’s preseason. When defenses are all complicated and messing up his rhythm (real games) is about the only time we’ll know. But he looked mostly accurate and decisive in the preseason.

The coaches know a lot more because in practice they go against real defensive looks and that says more than vanilla preseason games.

But at a glance, he looked good IMO. It just wasn’t a lot to go off of. But he looked accurate.

Upnorth
08-15-2021, 05:09 AM
Couple of nice passes. Seemed locked in on funchess later on after spreading it around early. One bad decision on a deep throw into double coverage to funchess.
On a tangent funchess looks good.

Fritz
08-15-2021, 06:36 AM
Well, it's the day after the first preseason game. What'd you all think?

Hey, look! Josh Jackson is just now breaking on that ball thrown his way...

Sounds like he sucked royal. Man, if you're on the roster bubble, you've been in the NFL already for a couple of years and you can't play well in the first pre-season game against other teams' scrubs, you're in serious trouble.

call_me_ishmael
08-15-2021, 09:15 AM
Made a couple really nice throws. Lost the ball when his hand got hit trying to throw. Nice touch on short passes, big arm on one deep throw. Looked solid but it’s preseason. When defenses are all complicated and messing up his rhythm (real games) is about the only time we’ll know. But he looked mostly accurate and decisive in the preseason.

The coaches know a lot more because in practice they go against real defensive looks and that says more than vanilla preseason games.

But at a glance, he looked good IMO. It just wasn’t a lot to go off of. But he looked accurate.

Recall Hundley tore it up in preseason too. Counterpoint, did so Hasselbeck.

Bretsky
08-15-2021, 10:14 AM
I was at a party last night; very late night. Rewatching the game now.

Love just threw into double coverage on first series and was lucky that was not picked. Scott was a nice punt :))

Bretsky
08-15-2021, 10:51 AM
with many of the starters out Funchess really really stands out

Bretsky
08-15-2021, 10:51 AM
Kylin Hill's making the team; he's want you want in the last RB; upside and electric and catches the ball

Bretsky
08-15-2021, 12:10 PM
finishing; The love machine looked decent; if giving grades I think the B- would be fair. Good start but lots of improvement needed

Harlan Huckleby
08-15-2021, 12:27 PM
Love looks kinda scrawny. But then again, that what I thought about Rodgers when i first saw him play.

texaspackerbacker
08-15-2021, 12:41 PM
Yet we lost to a weak team that apparently also was sitting their starters. I haven't seen the game yet - not until it is replayed on NFL Network, but it sounds to me like the team as a whole stunk. We're so deep in the O Line, yet they couldn't block Houston's scrubs. I don't know what to say about Love except that a lot of people seem to have a low bar set for him in terms of expectations. Yeah, if this is the kind of team people are satisfied with, he'll take you there hahahaha.

RashanGary
08-15-2021, 01:09 PM
finishing; The love machine looked decent; if giving grades I think the B- would be fair. Good start but lots of improvement needed

My son and I gave him a B too. It’s preseason. There was a certain level of play that I was hoping for so I could still have my hopes up and he just hit that bar. I thought he looked solid and showed a lot of potential.

My son son and I were both impressed with his touch on a couple of the shorter ones. He reminds me of Rodgers with the fundamentals and with the way he’s using the cadence. He’s just mimicking so much of Rodgers game. That’s a very good sign. He’s really lucky to be in Green Bay and to get one more full season of apprenticeship.

smuggler
08-15-2021, 03:04 PM
Love looked decent. Benkert also decent until that botched handoff. One of the DL (Heflin) has a damn good motor. Previlon also made a few plays. Jean-Charles needs work. Josh Jackson is gone. Ento looked good in coverage but left in the concussion protocol. Another LB looked good, too, but I can't really remember which one, so must not have been so great. Hah

run pMc
08-15-2021, 03:58 PM
Per JSO:
In four games, Rodgers’ first preseason ended with 20 of 37 passing for 172 yards, a touchdown, an interception and a 64.25 rating.

So while I doubt JL will ever be as good as the current QB, MLF's offense might still run at least ok if not fine with him, given another year to apprentice. Waaayyyy too early to say. Would like to see better accuracy and zip; he's still a project.

Seems like the OL and DL were overmatched. Not having Bahk, Jenkins, or Turner dress will weaken your OL. I didn't expect them to win with 30 players sitting out. Would have liked to see Stokes get more time, but I think they want to look at the depth behind him. Not a great game for several players (Josh Jackson got beat repeatedly by Conley), Funchess was ok.

Justin Fields looked decent -- a few rookie mistakes but he has tools. Didn't even bother with the Vikings (who I think could be decent this year, they were a weird team last year and could regress to the mean) as I don't think Kellen Mond is the heir apparent to Cousins. That team is a Covid disaster waiting to happen (thanks Kirk!)

Bretsky
08-15-2021, 06:18 PM
LOVE MACHINE dinged his shoulder and per JS might not play next week

red
08-15-2021, 06:20 PM
imo, love didn't have to look great, but he couldn't afford to look completely lost

the first 2 series had me start to worry, but then he hit some decent passes

he did what he had to do, he got his first NFL minutes and didn't look like a joke

RashanGary
08-15-2021, 06:55 PM
imo, love didn't have to look great, but he couldn't afford to look completely lost

he did what he had to do, he got his first NFL minutes and didn't look like a joke

That’s what I’m saying. He looked like he had his shit together and made some passes. It’s just enough to still have hope.

SudsMcBucky
08-16-2021, 09:42 AM

People need to remember that was the first football game the Love Machine has played in in 2 years.

George Cumby
08-16-2021, 10:55 AM
A B- at this point in Love's career is a good sign.

bobblehead
08-16-2021, 12:47 PM
Yet we lost to a weak team that apparently also was sitting their starters. I haven't seen the game yet - not until it is replayed on NFL Network, but it sounds to me like the team as a whole stunk. We're so deep in the O Line, yet they couldn't block Houston's scrubs. I don't know what to say about Love except that a lot of people seem to have a low bar set for him in terms of expectations. Yeah, if this is the kind of team people are satisfied with, he'll take you there hahahaha.

Tex, we started our 4th string LT and he stunk on Ice. My thoughts. Yosh is finished. I was right about Hill being the steal of the draft. I was wrong about Josh Jackson being a 2nd round steal. Some hard choices will be made at safety come cutdown day. Kabion Ento is the 2nd coming of Sam Shields. Oren Burks either had an outlier game, or Barry knows how to play people to their strengths. Burks will probably be my most watched player next week as I am unsure about him, but pretty sure about everything else I said here.

bobblehead
08-16-2021, 12:51 PM
Sidenote. How pissed is Gutes that he has to cut either Funchess, Taylor or Winfree to keep Randall Cobb? I think EQ is as good as gone. Taylor also from what I have seen/heard. So you have to lose Funchess who is balling out, or Winfree who is younger and balling out. Or keep 7 WR which seems a bit far fetched.

texaspackerbacker
08-16-2021, 01:11 PM
Tex, we started our 4th string LT and he stunk on Ice. My thoughts. Yosh is finished. I was right about Hill being the steal of the draft. I was wrong about Josh Jackson being a 2nd round steal. Some hard choices will be made at safety come cutdown day. Kabion Ento is the 2nd coming of Sam Shields. Oren Burks either had an outlier game, or Barry knows how to play people to their strengths. Burks will probably be my most watched player next week as I am unsure about him, but pretty sure about everything else I said here.

True, I suppose, although we scored our only TD I think, with him in there. I still haven't seen the game, so I'm withholding praise of Hill, but I'm hopeful. Yeah, Jackson apparently stunk, and I was wrong about him being a good pick too. I've never been nearly as negative about Burks as a lot of people. Maybe there is hope for him, and yeah, Barry's specialty supposedly is LBs, especially ILBs. Ento also is a reason to hope. Is he super fast like Shields was? Or just a ball hawk/cover guy? I get more of a Ladarius Gunter vibe from him - another Packer I kinda liked.

I'd keep St. Brown over any of the four you mentioned. With the enhanced practice squad rules, though, we ought to be able to keep just about all of those guys.

smuggler
08-16-2021, 01:33 PM
Sidenote. How pissed is Gutes that he has to cut either Funchess, Taylor or Winfree to keep Randall Cobb? I think EQ is as good as gone. Taylor also from what I have seen/heard. So you have to lose Funchess who is balling out, or Winfree who is younger and balling out. Or keep 7 WR which seems a bit far fetched.

I was thinking this, too. I don't know the terms of Funchess' contract, but I do feel like he was a bit of a longshot before this game.

call_me_ishmael
08-16-2021, 03:00 PM

Why would he be pissed? Randall Cobb was a legit #2 last year. The Packers need a legit #2. Funchess and Cobb both probably make the roster at 2, 3. The #5 receiver is going to have to be great on ST. The receivers are pretty much set AFAICT. Adams, Cobb, MVS, Lazard, Funchess and Amari Rodgers. That's the group. Cobb and Rodgers are the slots, the others the outside bois.

texaspackerbacker
08-16-2021, 03:23 PM
We need a "legit #2" What the hell do you think Lazard and Valdez-Scantling are? Sheeeeesh.

I hate to root against any Packer, but sorry, I just don't like Funchess. And it's downright idiotic to consider him better than Lazard or MVS.

Adams 1, Lazard/MVS 2/3, Rodgers/Cobb 4/5, St. Brown 6, Funchess/Taylor 7/8, Winfrey 9

Sparkey
08-16-2021, 03:47 PM
Observations:

Game was your typical 1st preseason game. Little to no continuity, spotty line play and overall drudgery.

Some random thoughts:

Oren Burks. Yes the same guy that does nothing every year looked fluid and fast. I don't trust it lasts but we can hope for a few weeks.

Jordan Love. Looked composed with no rushing game to speak of. Made some nice throws and showed a live arm. Good 1st start after 20 months of no live action.

Kylin Hill could be special.

Funchess gets a roster spot. For a guy who has not played since week 1 of 2019, he looked good.

T.Slaton is f'n huge and can move but has a long way to go.

Josh Jackson, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out of town.

Vernon Scott and Henry Black made some plays.

Bubble Stash IPA is extremely drinkable, unfortunately at 11.75 a cup it's not THAT good.

RashanGary
08-16-2021, 05:53 PM
We need a "legit #2" What the hell do you think Lazard and Valdez-Scantling are? Sheeeeesh.

I hate to root against any Packer, but sorry, I just don't like Funchess. And it's downright idiotic to consider him better than Lazard or MVS.

Adams 1, Lazard/MVS 2/3, Rodgers/Cobb 4/5, St. Brown 6, Funchess/Taylor 7/8, Winfrey 9

1 - Adams
2 (situationally) - MVS, Lazard, Cobb
5/6 Rodgers and maybe Funchess or one of the others

Bretsky
08-16-2021, 09:23 PM

Funchess can complete with some of those guys (such as Lazar/Cobb). St Brown....yuk...Taylor...bye bye

I do like Winfrey and I'm guessing Gutebag tries sneaking him onto the practice squad

Bretsky
08-16-2021, 09:26 PM
ONE OTHER NOTE

Funchess really looks big enough to be a small TE and he could be dominant as a receiver there. other coaches must have tried this so he must suck there

texaspackerbacker
08-17-2021, 01:35 AM
With the new Practice Squad rules, stashing isn't as hard as it used to be, at least not for the designated untouchable 2 or is it 3 on the P.S. as well as 2 or is it 3 veterans allowed on the P.S..

I think we keep 7 WRs. (That can be done and still keep 2 QBs + 1 on P.S., 3 RBs + 1 or 2 on P.S., 4 TEs + 1 suspended, 10 O Linemen + 1 or 2 on P.S., 5 D Linemen + 1 or 2 P.S., 5 ILBs, 5 OLBs, 5 Corners, 4 Safeties, and 3 Sp.Teamers - that adds up to 53). Probably that includes Funchess (even though I wouldn't). It also ought to include St. Brown. Taylor and Winfrey ought to be keepable on the P.S..

I haven't got my roster projection put together yet, but I was pleasantly surprised by how the math came out regarding numbers of each position group - not really too many painful cut decisions.

NewsBruin
08-17-2021, 09:47 AM
I think practice squad management could be a full-time job. Tams will have a harder time this season finding fill-ins off the street.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31869693/nfl-carry-flexible-roster-rules-2021

16-man practice squad. Of those, any:
4 can be protected from poaching.
6 can be veterans (>2 seasons).
2 can be called up to the active roster the day before a game (without having to demote anyone from the active roster).
1 can be a COVID-emergency call-up as late as 90 minutes before kickoff

Plus, unlimited Injured Reserve callbacks in 2021; 3-week minimum on IR

texaspackerbacker
08-17-2021, 12:05 PM
That's even better than I thought.

Hey, Bruin, do you post with that same Baylor logo in another Packer forum?

Upnorth
08-17-2021, 01:46 PM
I think practice squad management could be a full-time job. Tams will have a harder time this season finding fill-ins off the street.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31869693/nfl-carry-flexible-roster-rules-2021

16-man practice squad. Of those, any:
4 can be protected from poaching.
6 can be veterans (>2 seasons).
2 can be called up to the active roster the day before a game (without having to demote anyone from the active roster).
1 can be a COVID-emergency call-up as late as 90 minutes before kickoff

Plus, unlimited Injured Reserve callbacks in 2021; 3-week minimum on IR

Unlimited ir callback??? Wow. Game changer

NewsBruin
08-17-2021, 02:01 PM
That's even better than I thought.

Hey, Bruin, do you post with that same Baylor logo in another Packer forum?

Naw. I didn't even know there were other Packers forums.

Spaulding
08-17-2021, 02:52 PM
Naw. I didn't even know there were other Packers forums.

NewBruin, there aren't. PackerRats is it. "There can be only one" as the wise Connor MacLeod once said.

Bretsky
08-17-2021, 09:20 PM

ALERT; SAVE THE POST

I'm going out on a limb and predicting 5 years form now Justin Fields is the best QB in the NFC North :)))

texaspackerbacker
08-17-2021, 09:38 PM
hahahahahahaha Yeah, save it.

True, Fields is one of the top four starters. If you include backups, who knows. I like Detroit's #2 better.

Bretsky
08-17-2021, 09:48 PM
hahahahahahaha Yeah, save it.

True, Fields is one of the top four starters. If you include backups, who knows. I like Detroit's #2 better.

I like Detroit's #2 as well

NOW the real question for Tex

Do you like Detroit's #2 better than Green Bay's #2 ????

Upnorth
08-17-2021, 09:49 PM
ALERT; SAVE THE POST

I'm going out on a limb and predicting 5 years form now Justin Fields is the best QB in the NFC North :)))

Skip bayless??? Are you skip bayless??

texaspackerbacker
08-17-2021, 10:05 PM
I like Detroit's #2 as well

NOW the real question for Tex

Do you like Detroit's #2 better than Green Bay's #2 ????

Close call on that, Bretsky. I guess yes until proven otherwise.

Upnorth, skip Bayliss is not who I am, it's a thing I do hahahaha.

run pMc
08-19-2021, 05:05 PM
I would be very very surprised if they kept more than 6 WRs. Funchess could be trade bait unless he can play special teams. Maybe that's what Yiadom is for? Unlikely, he has a tough road to make the roster with Ento and Hollman likely ahead of him.
Cobb's signing makes it tricky -- does Gute keep an extra WR because he has to keep Cobb, or does that mean another WR who might make it gets cut?

Adams, MVS, Lazard, Rodgers and Cobb are all making the team. There's a good chance they keep 5 TEs, which doesn't leave a lot left for RBs (Jones, Dillon, Hill) but 1-2 of those TEs act as a FB/HB. Basically you have 13, 14 spots at most for WR/TE/RB on the 53 unless you go very light somewhere else. I could see Funchess signing elsewhere if he was cut -- I don't think he signs to a PS. His agent was probably not thrilled when Cobb got traded.

I think they can sneak guys like ESB, Winfree, Begelton on the PS. None of them have done much in the league. They liked Taylor for his ST play, but I think they can find guys like him. Only Gute knows.

( Before you poo-poo ST, if you're a core four-squad ST player, you're looking at 350+ snaps a season. That's a healthy chunk of snaps -- consider GB played 990 snaps on offense. That's why Oren Burks has stuck around. )

texaspackerbacker
08-19-2021, 06:18 PM
As I said, it should be no problem to keep 7 WRs (see my roster breakdown in post #64 above). I'd really hate to see us throw away St. Brown who I still think is gonna be good. I think all things considered, I'd even keep Malik Taylor over Funchess. With 53 and 16 on the PS including several veterans, we shouldn't need to lose anybody worth keeping.

pittstang5
08-20-2021, 11:24 AM
I know this is a little late, but I finally got to watch most of the 1st preseason game from the NFL Network replay. I only watched to about the 3rd quarter, but I have some questions/concerns and maybe some could offer their insight/opinions.

Love: Looked ok, not great, but not horrible. O-line didn't look good, but hardly any starters were playing. The new center looked pretty good.
J. Jackson: Holy crap, what a tire fire! Seemed every completion the Texans had was against him. He had one good pass break up in the end zone, but that's it. Kinda glad he's gone.
Runyan: From what I saw, he didn't impress me. I was hoping he'd make a big step. Thoughts?
Dexter Williams: Did he play - did I miss him? He was a higher pick a couple years ago, right? Where's this guy at?
Burks: New system seems to be working for him. Hope it lasts.
Funchess: Looked pretty damn good. Gonna be some tough decisions with the WRs come cut time. In my opinion, Adams and Rodgers are safe bets. Cobb - most likely safe (you usually don't trade for a player and then release them). The rest - Funchess, Lazard, MVS, St. Brown and Taylor - one or two could be traded or released. No one thought Sitton would be released that one year, so who knows.

run pMc
08-20-2021, 03:33 PM
As I said, it should be no problem to keep 7 WRs (see my roster breakdown in post #64 above). I'd really hate to see us throw away St. Brown who I still think is gonna be good. I think all things considered, I'd even keep Malik Taylor over Funchess. With 53 and 16 on the PS including several veterans, we shouldn't need to lose anybody worth keeping.

Mostly agree. I was a big fan of ESB in the draft and surprised he dropped all the way to R6 for GB, but he can't stay healthy and hasn't really done much. I think they could stash him on the PS.
Re: your breakdown, I mostly agree but would rather keep an extra defensive back (most likely a CB) than a WR. 5 CBs feels light to me (especially if King is one of them), and Tonyan and Jones get pretty involved in the passing game anyway.

bobblehead
08-20-2021, 04:29 PM
I know this is a little late, but I finally got to watch most of the 1st preseason game from the NFL Network replay. I only watched to about the 3rd quarter, but I have some questions/concerns and maybe some could offer their insight/opinions.

Love: Looked ok, not great, but not horrible. O-line didn't look good, but hardly any starters were playing. The new center looked pretty good.
J. Jackson: Holy crap, what a tire fire! Seemed every completion the Texans had was against him. He had one good pass break up in the end zone, but that's it. Kinda glad he's gone.
Runyan: From what I saw, he didn't impress me. I was hoping he'd make a big step. Thoughts?
Dexter Williams: Did he play - did I miss him? He was a higher pick a couple years ago, right? Where's this guy at?
Burks: New system seems to be working for him. Hope it lasts.
Funchess: Looked pretty damn good. Gonna be some tough decisions with the WRs come cut time. In my opinion, Adams and Rodgers are safe bets. Cobb - most likely safe (you usually don't trade for a player and then release them). The rest - Funchess, Lazard, MVS, St. Brown and Taylor - one or two could be traded or released. No one thought Sitton would be released that one year, so who knows.

In order:
Love is a rookie starting his first game in almost 2 years behind the backup OL. I'm not too worried. He actually did pretty good considering,
Well, Jackson is gone now so...
Runyan had enough tape last year that I'm not panicked, but disappointed. But he will be my 2nd most watched player tomorrow.
Dexter was a 6th I think. Never showed much. They say its his best camp, but I labelled Kylin Hill the steal of the draft and I'm sticking with it. That leaves Dexter looking in from the PS.
Burks: My most watched player tomorrow. He may have finally learned to read keys and it could be the new system. Hard for me to be convinced after one game though.
Funchess: Gone, he doesn't play ST. Good thing is he might play himself into replacing the 6th we gave up for an older lesser receiver who will make the final cut.

texaspackerbacker
08-20-2021, 09:48 PM
I saw the game late. Love looked mediocre - about the way I expected him to look. You could make a case for Benkert actually played better.

Several other thoughts after seeing the game: Jackson overall has been a disappointment, and probably good he's gone. That being said, though, I didn't think he looked as bad as so many had been saying in this game. Houston was throwing in his direction, and yeah, he got beat, but not really beat bad, just good passes when his coverage wasn't terrible.

Oren Burks obviously looked good, and as I've said, I was never as down on him as so many others. However, after watching the game, I'm not quite as positive as I hoped after reading about him. He looked fast, as we all knew, and he made some good plays, but I also saw him overrun a couple and look a little bit lost a couple of times, especially in pass coverage. I also will be watching him - better an athletic high potential guy stepping up than a lower potential guy.

Kylin Hill looked decent, maybe even good. I really didn't see any Aaron Jones-type burst from him, though - after the glowing reports from practice. Patrick Taylor and Dexter Williams looked about as good as Hill. With the practice squad rules, though, we should be able to keep all three - 4 RBs on the 53 and the other on the PS.

Funchess honestly didn't look like anything special to me (of course, I went into the game not liking him, but whatever). I will be very much pissed off if St. Brown gets cut and Funchess and/or Malik Taylor kept. Here too, though, we should be able to keep them all - 7 on the 53, hopefully including St. Brown and Taylor, with Funchess on the PS, although that probably isn't likely. Maybe he will go to the PUP list with his minor injury and be available later if somebody gets hurt.

That "deep" O Line looked about like I expected too - deeply mediocre without the two Aarons, Rodgers and Jones, to make it look better than it is. Yeah, I know Jenkins wasn't there and Bakhtiari and others too, but those who were playing couldn't handle a pretty bad D Line.

The place we seem to have a lot of depth is Safety as well as probably Corner too. In addition to the two obvious starters, Vernon Scott, Henry Black, Gaines, etc. also seem pretty good.

J.K. Scott with his slow big steps looks like a blocked punt waiting to happen. I hope they consider replacing him with somebody cut late from other teams.

The big guy, Slaton, looked good. Heflin looked fairly good, Previlon looked at least ok. ALL of them looked better than Lancaster and maybe even better than Lowery last year.

texaspackerbacker
08-21-2021, 01:26 AM
double post

texaspackerbacker
08-21-2021, 01:28 AM
Mostly agree. I was a big fan of ESB in the draft and surprised he dropped all the way to R6 for GB, but he can't stay healthy and hasn't really done much. I think they could stash him on the PS.
Re: your breakdown, I mostly agree but would rather keep an extra defensive back (most likely a CB) than a WR. 5 CBs feels light to me (especially if King is one of them), and Tonyan and Jones get pretty involved in the passing game anyway.

I wish King wasn't one of them, but I really don't see any way around it. I agree about keeping an extra Corner or Safety, but I'd do it by reducing the O Line from 10 to 9 - O Linemen aren't much for special teams anyway and assuming that "depth" really is quality, not mediocrity, an extra one can be put on the PS. They already seemed to be trying Runyon as the backup Center ahead of Hanson. so maybe Hanson gets PSed.