PDA

View Full Version : 2021 camp cuts

Spaulding
08-17-2021, 10:48 AM
OL - Jon Dietzen (08/16)
P - Ryan Winslow (08/17)

jklowan
08-17-2021, 02:26 PM
The Packers are sending CB Josh Jackson to the Giants, per source. https://t.co/iFX3VhYIR4 as compensation for Isaac Yiadom

Sparkey
08-17-2021, 02:52 PM
Hmmm, they traded a bag of cowshit for a bag of horseshit. The classic change of scenery trade.

The stink is different but its still stink.

Spaulding
08-17-2021, 02:57 PM
Makes sense. Why not kick the tires on Yiadom for a few weeks to see if a fresh start helps. We already know Jackson isn't making the final roster and so nothing lost there as his game tape from Saturday likely made any trade for picks a no go.

jklowan
08-17-2021, 03:15 PM
The Green Bay Packers have placed TE Isaac Nauta (NAW-tuh) and WR DeAndre Thompkins on injured reserve and released G/T Zack Johnson. General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transactions Tuesday.

NewsBruin
08-17-2021, 07:52 PM
So everyone had to drop from 90 to 85 today.

Thanks, Bears (https://www.chicagobears.com/news/nfl-implements-new-roster-cutdown-dates-2021-season-training-camp-preseason). You're good for something.

"Teams will be permitted to open training camp with 90 players. They must then cut down to 85 by Aug. 17, 80 by Aug. 24 and 53 players by Aug. 31. The three cutdown dates are all on Tuesdays following each of the three weeks of the preseason."

Fritz
08-18-2021, 07:59 AM
The Green Bay Packers have placed TE Isaac Nauta (NAW-tuh) and WR DeAndre Thompkins on injured reserve and released G/T Zack Johnson. General Manager Aaron Rodgers announced the transactions Tuesday.

There you go. Fixed it for you.

smuggler
08-18-2021, 01:50 PM
The Funchess injury might make the WR logjam caused by Cobb's presence a bit of a nonissue.

Spaulding
08-24-2021, 04:26 PM
- Kamal Martain (already noted in another thread)
- Daniel Crawford
- Ka'dar Hollman (traded)
- Josh Avery
- Will Redmond (IR)

Fritz
08-25-2021, 07:09 AM
- Kamal Martain (already noted in another thread)
- Daniel Crawford
- Ka'dar Hollman (traded)
- Josh Avery
- Will Redmond (IR)

Where did you go, Kamal Toe?

I mean, what happened to that guy? He supposedly looked really good last year in camp, got hurt, came back, went on the Covid list, and never regained his footing.

I understand that maybe he somehow didn't bring much to ST, but there's something else going on here. It's not like that's a packed-with-talent inside linebacker corps. It makes you wonder if there was something about his attitude that soured them, or something personal going on. It wouldn't seem to be a scheme fit issue, as he couldn't get back on the field last year after he came back. I thought maybe last year it was because of the injury lingering, but that's not it, apparently, either.

What happened, I wonder.

Upnorth
08-25-2021, 07:50 AM
He had no clue what his assignments were and where he was to line up way too often, or at least this is what I heard on a podcast and read on line.
In the preseason last year I was very excited about him.

Spaulding
08-25-2021, 08:23 AM
I was surprised by the cut but he was already starting to exhibit the injury bug a little with his knee evidently and I wonder if those crossing routes by Davis in the Jets preseason game where he was wide open several times was a factor.

Fritz
08-25-2021, 03:40 PM
Wow. Gute whiffed on that one. The organization spends barely any draft capital on inside linebackers, and when Gutes did, he whiffed.

pittstang5
08-25-2021, 04:14 PM
Just saw Funchess was put on IR. Also read that it's season ending IR. I guess if you're put on IR now, there's no eligible for return option. I see an injury settlement coming.

Upnorth
08-25-2021, 04:54 PM
Just saw Funchess was put on IR. Also read that it's season ending IR. I guess if you're put on IR now, there's no eligible for return option. I see an injury settlement coming.

Hamsring was hurt last game. He looked solid and was trending up in my eyes. This sucks.
At least we can likely keep Malik taylor now

Spaulding
08-25-2021, 05:54 PM
This might be a win situation. WR is the one area we have substantial depth (provided it's not Adams that is injured) and taking on an ancient Cobb looked like it was going to cost one us the loss of one of the young ascending players. Now with Funchess gone (add to the fact he didn't play special teams and thus his subtraction here is an addition to special teams), if one of the young players (Taylor, ESB or Winfree) has soon quite a bit of potential we don't lose them another team. Either way it's bottom of the roster type stuff.

Fritz
08-26-2021, 11:37 AM
If ESB doesn't suit up and play the next game, he seems an obvious candidate to go buh-bye.

texaspackerbacker
08-26-2021, 06:39 PM
Hodkiewitz and the other guy on the podcast said he's healthy and practicing with the first string this week. I will be very surprised and extremely pissed if they lose him.

Spaulding
08-27-2021, 08:14 AM
Hodkiewitz and the other guy on the podcast said he's healthy and practicing with the first string this week. I will be very surprised and extremely pissed if they lose him.

Just out of curiosity, what drives you to want ESB so bad? He hasn't shown all that much, wasn't a high draft choice (6th round), has been oft injured and currently is at best WR #6.

Taylor is cheaper and plays well on special teams. Seems pretty expendable to me and most likely cut in move to 53 this coming Tuesday.

Upnorth
08-27-2021, 08:26 AM
I gotta agree, unless esb suddenly becomes amazing he feels like an injury waiting to happen. Year one training camp he looked good since then he hasn't shown much.

run pMc
08-27-2021, 08:34 AM
I think if ESB doesn't outplay Taylor in the short time he has left he's cut. I doubt they keep 7 WRs and Taylor has the inside track on WR6. They might only keep 5 WRs. They could bring ESB back on the PS - he's done very little in the league so far and there will be lots of guys available.

Also - arguing about the WR5 or 6 is pretty funny; aside from ST they will likely never see much time (barring injuries) on offense.

texaspackerbacker
08-27-2021, 02:36 PM
I say again, it would be an absolute damn shame to lose St. Brown. At very least, PS him, but as I understand the PS procedure (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) you need to expose somebody to waivers before you can PS him. With Funchess thankfully out of the picture, we EASILY could and IMO should keep 7 WRs.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2021, 03:54 PM
I say again, it would be an absolute damn shame to lose St. Brown. At very least, PS him, but as I understand the PS procedure (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) you need to expose somebody to waivers before you can PS him. With Funchess thankfully out of the picture, we EASILY could and IMO should keep 7 WRs.

What's so good about ESB that it would be a shame to lose him? Taylor was as good or a better athlete coming out. ESB is 6'5", but Taylor is no slouch at 6'2". Taylor can play specials teams. ESB is always hurt, and Taylor has always been available.

Taylor

- 6-2 211
- 4.44/4.47 40
- 4.02 shuttle
- 6.81 3 cone
- 36" vertical
- 10'6" broad jump

texaspackerbacker
08-27-2021, 05:20 PM
I've got a high opinion of Malik Taylor too, but as you say, St. Brown is 3 inches taller - fairly significant difference, 4.48 40 time - not a significant difference from Taylor, and should be able to play some special teams if needed. He's only 24; His injuries have never been major or debilitating; And he was Notre Dame player of the year as a sophomore, so I'd say he was a little bit better coming out of college. There's no reason to just let him slip away.

RashanGary
08-27-2021, 06:16 PM
What's so good about ESB that it would be a shame to lose him? Taylor was as good or a better athlete coming out. ESB is 6'5", but Taylor is no slouch at 6'2". Taylor can play specials teams. ESB is always hurt, and Taylor has always been available.

Taylor

- 6-2 211
- 4.44/4.47 40
- 4.02 shuttle
- 6.81 3 cone
- 36" vertical
- 10'6" broad jump

I think you’ve said this before, but a bit of a Davante clone. Obviously there is a lot more to being Davante Adams than really solid athleticism though. There is some work ethic and skill in there too.

smuggler
08-27-2021, 06:48 PM
I do think EQSB is generally more gifted than Taylor, but I also think Taylor is a great scheme fit and works hard and is a great teammate. Generally, unless EQSB does something to earn that spot, all the intangible stuff sides with Malik Taylor.

texaspackerbacker
08-27-2021, 10:29 PM
I say again, it should NOT be either/or. There is no logical reason not to keep both, at very least on the PS.

bobblehead
08-28-2021, 08:10 AM
Funchess gone with injury settlement. Won't really miss him. If he had been healthy would have made the choice a little tougher, but the right move would have been to cut him anyway.

bobblehead
08-28-2021, 08:12 AM
I've got a high opinion of Malik Taylor too, but as you say, St. Brown is 3 inches taller - fairly significant difference, 4.48 40 time - not a significant difference from Taylor, and should be able to play some special teams if needed. He's only 24; His injuries have never been major or debilitating; And he was Notre Dame player of the year as a sophomore, so I'd say he was a little bit better coming out of college. There's no reason to just let him slip away.

Plenty of reason. Like he isn't that good. He isn't very healthy. He doesn't offer much on ST. 2 out of 3 of which Taylor does give you. As far as not being good, Taylor gives similar upside so to me the choice is easy. Certainly todays game will be big.

texaspackerbacker
08-28-2021, 09:25 AM
I say AGAIN, why the hell should there even be a choice? If there's any choice at all, it's between one of those two and the 53rd man on the roster or the 16th on the PS.

Fritz
08-28-2021, 10:59 AM
I was rooting for Encylopedia Brown, but at this point it's clear he can't stay on the field, and when he is on the field, he doesn't do enough to make you want to keep him through the injuries. Sorry, Tex. Maybe he'd be a good taxi squad guy.

Bretsky
08-28-2021, 01:38 PM
I don't care if ESB plays for Green Bay or Detroit this year.

RashanGary
08-28-2021, 03:02 PM
Malik Taylor sure seems to have locked up a spot. He looks really good on those come back routes.

RashanGary
08-28-2021, 03:03 PM
I thought Malik Taylor this year looks a lot better than Kumerow ever looked. Gute sort of showing Rodgers why you use roster spots on high upside guys.

texaspackerbacker
08-28-2021, 04:12 PM
Taylor had another good game. He should not only make the team but be in the WR rotation. Amari Rodgers looked fast and good. No sign of St. Brown at all, which could be good news. If he's healthy and they decided to keep him, it could explain why he didn't play - like 30 or so others. If he's hurt and couldn't play, whatever. But standard procedure when a guy is on the bubble or worse is to give him one last chance play. Begelton may have been in that situation. He did fairly good, but probably ends up on the PS. Winfrey maybe isn't healthy. Ideally PS for him too.

smuggler
08-28-2021, 04:22 PM
I think they didn't play EQSB because they didn't want to give other teams a reason to claim him off waivers. We'll see what happens.

run pMc
08-28-2021, 05:41 PM
I think they were saying they had held EQ out because of a hamstring?

re: EQ and 6 or 7WRs -- Under MLF, GB rarely goes 4 or 5 wide with WRs (they'd use Tonyan/Jones as receivers) so you really need your WR5 -- and WR6 if you have one -- to be able to play ST. They have that with Amari and Malik.
Curious, how often did McCarthy keep 7 WRs?

I think keeping 7 WRs -- and one who is often hurt, at that -- means you are going light somewhere else. I would say of Begelton, Taylor, and St. Brown, EQ is the most talented... but it's year 4 for EQ and he hasn't done much to justify keeping him on the 53. Every year there's a new crop of talented WRs, plenty of players for teams to claim off waivers.

Wouldn't be against stashing EQ on PS, but who knows. There was a lot of hype re: Winfree earlier; how quick he was and good on his releases. He could be in consideration for the PS too.

Bretsky
08-28-2021, 07:12 PM
I thought Malik Taylor this year looks a lot better than Kumerow ever looked. Gute sort of showing Rodgers why you use roster spots on high upside guys.

Don't think there is much of a difference. Whitewater Jesus looks like he runs good routes. As a GM though he's the guy you really don't want to store on your team. Limited upside guy. He's a serviceable WR who you can occasionally plug in. About what Taylor is

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2021, 07:32 PM
Taylor could develop more — like Lazard. Kumerow was 28 when he got cut last year. Easy decision and not really comparable. Plus, Taylor is better on special teams (because of his athleticism).

Fritz
08-29-2021, 02:17 PM
I think they were saying they had held EQ out because of a hamstring?

re: EQ and 6 or 7WRs -- Under MLF, GB rarely goes 4 or 5 wide with WRs (they'd use Tonyan/Jones as receivers) so you really need your WR5 -- and WR6 if you have one -- to be able to play ST. They have that with Amari and Malik.
Curious, how often did McCarthy keep 7 WRs?

I think keeping 7 WRs -- and one who is often hurt, at that -- means you are going light somewhere else. I would say of Begelton, Taylor, and St. Brown, EQ is the most talented... but it's year 4 for EQ and he hasn't done much to justify keeping him on the 53. Every year there's a new crop of talented WRs, plenty of players for teams to claim off waivers.

Wouldn't be against stashing EQ on PS, but who knows. There was a lot of hype re: Winfree earlier; how quick he was and good on his releases. He could be in consideration for the PS too.

Well, that does not bode well for ol' Encylopedia St. Brown. A guy who is already seemingly on the outside looking in, and he can't even get on the field for a game crucial to his future? If he really is too hurt to play, then they ought to just cut ties, as he can't seem to get on or stay on the field. If they held him out to try to stash him on the taxi squad, we'll soon find that out.

Another guy I was rooting for but have soured on is JK Scott. I think "JK" stands for "Just Kant." I hear Mason Crosby had to come out and punt once because ol' JK had cramps? Sheesh dude.

I feel bad if Crosby has to get used to a new holder the week before the regular season, but I hope they cut Scott and find someone who's more consistent and doesn't tackle like he's scared shitless. After his first year, I thought, okay, he flashed some promise and he's had a year in the league so he'll become more consistent. Then last year he still sucked, so I'm surprised Guter didn't do more to try to find a replacement. Especially after the first two weeks of camp when it became evident Scott had not improved. What the hell, Guter. You drafted a punter in the fifth round a few years ago, and now you won't even beat the bushes for an undrafted guy or a developmental guy you could've plucked off the street?

Spaulding
08-31-2021, 09:41 AM
As of around 09:00am CDT the following players were noted as cut:

QB: Kurt Benkert

RB: Dexter Williams

OL: Ben Braden, Jacob Capra

CB: Stephen Denmark, Rojesterman Farris

S: Christian Uphoff

Spaulding
08-31-2021, 10:08 AM
Add to that:

OLB: Tipa Galeai

CB: Kabion Ento

RB: Patrick Taylor

WR: Reggie Beggleton

Guess they are keeping the DB we traded Josh Jackson for

HarveyWallbangers
08-31-2021, 10:17 AM
Yiadom for special teams or Ento for coverage potential? That was a tough one. I think they believe they can get Ento to the practice squad to let him develop for one more year--which I probably should have guessed. It will mostly about improving his tackling.

Sparkey
08-31-2021, 10:46 AM
Bahktiari to PUP

HarveyWallbangers
08-31-2021, 10:53 AM
Bahktiari to PUP

Ouch! He’s out six games. Was hoping he would go on IR and return in week 4.

RashanGary
08-31-2021, 11:30 AM

I always had week 8 pegged. And I figure he’s going to be less than 100% the whole season.

bobblehead
08-31-2021, 11:38 AM
good bye encyclopedia Brown. Tex is in morning somewhere in south texas.

Fritz
08-31-2021, 11:48 AM
good bye encyclopedia Brown. Tex is in morning somewhere in south texas.

He'll be railing about this soon enough.

I ama little surprised that they cut Benkert so soon. I thought they'd wait til the last second so they could try to sneak him onto the PS. Same with Braden. But then again, Braden's been around a bit, so anyone could already have had him.

Hoping to hear they've picked up a punter and JK Scott is gone, gone, gone.

Hope that Yiadom can play special teams like a demon. He doesn't seem very talented as a corner.

Did Josh Jackson make the Giants?

call_me_ishmael
08-31-2021, 11:50 AM

I could be wrong but for the whole "unlimited-early-returns-for-IR" don't you have to be on the active roster first? That was my understanding so it wasn't used as a way for peeps to stash players at cutdown time.

Sparkey
08-31-2021, 11:55 AM
More cuts:

Cole Van Lanen, OL, per Matt Schneidman

Innis Gaines, S, per Bill Huber

Equanameous ST. Brown, WR, per Tom Pelissero

JJ Molson, PK, per Ryan Wood

texaspackerbacker
08-31-2021, 12:21 PM
We'll have to see how it all shakes out with the Practice Squad - just about everybody mentioned here so far should be on the PS. Even I wouldn't have kept St. Brown over Malik Taylor. I just wish they would have kept both. It seems like just about all of those guys were the close calls. The obvious cuts either come later or just haven't been posted here. I too am surprised with literally all of those cuts that they didn't wait until the last minute to increase the chance nobody grabs them on waivers.

HarveyWallbangers
08-31-2021, 12:25 PM
I could be wrong but for the whole "unlimited-early-returns-for-IR" don't you have to be on the active roster first? That was my understanding so it wasn't used as a way for peeps to stash players at cutdown time.

Yes, but I thought they'd put him on the active roster and then IR him. Read this morning that teams can't actually do that. A player on PUP has to pass his physical to be put on the active roster. So, the only options with Bakh were to carry him on the active roster until he was read or leave him on the PUP and he won't even be able to start practicing until week 7. He'll need a couple of weeks to get ready, so we probably won't see him until week 9.

HarveyWallbangers
08-31-2021, 12:27 PM
We'll have to see how it all shakes out with the Practice Squad - just about everybody mentioned here so far should be on the PS. Even I wouldn't have kept St. Brown over Malik Taylor. I just wish they would have kept both. It seems like just about all of those guys were the close calls. The obvious cuts either come later or just haven't been posted here. I too am surprised with literally all of those cuts that they didn't wait until the last minute to increase the chance nobody grabs them on waivers.

I doubt ESB was a close call. He may not have been in the top 8 at WR. Winfree supposedly look great during the offseason and early in camp. Begelton had a really good preseason.

smuggler
08-31-2021, 12:36 PM

Correct, in order for Bakhtiari to be put on IR and be eligible to return in 2021, he would need to be on the roster after final cutdowns today (removed from the PUP list). If they move him to IR from the expanded preseason roster, he would be out until next season.

Sparkey
08-31-2021, 02:27 PM
Willington Previlon – IDL
Ray Wilborn – LB
Coy Cronk – OL
Delontae Scott – Edge
Bronson Kaufusi – TE
Damon Hazelton – WR
Abdullah Anderson – IDL
Juwann Winfree – WR
Carlo Kemp – IDL

Guiness
08-31-2021, 03:36 PM
Did Josh Jackson make the Giants?

Looks like he might still be there? I thought I saw that he was released but can't find anything now.

smuggler
08-31-2021, 06:58 PM
Ah yes, the old "don't play Winfree in the preseason in hopes to stash him" move.

call_me_ishmael
09-01-2021, 12:58 AM
Yes, but I thought they'd put him on the active roster and then IR him. Read this morning that teams can't actually do that. A player on PUP has to pass his physical to be put on the active roster. So, the only options with Bakh were to carry him on the active roster until he was read or leave him on the PUP and he won't even be able to start practicing until week 7. He'll need a couple of weeks to get ready, so we probably won't see him until week 9.

Now the real question - do you personally, Harvey Matthew WallBangers, believe that they're unhappy with that? Personally, I think they're probably over-the-moon to get a good & long look at Elgton at LT. I am sure Elgton is over-the-moon too because he sees dollar signs in his future if he can hack it.

Teamcheez1
09-01-2021, 08:58 AM
I think it would be interesting to know if player vaccination played into any of these roster decisions. Urban Meyer said what everyone else knew. All things being equal, it had to be a consideration.

Spaulding
09-01-2021, 09:56 AM
I think it would be interesting to know if player vaccination played into any of these roster decisions. Urban Meyer said what everyone else knew. All things being equal, it had to be a consideration.

I would think it would have to factor into consideration as it likely affects their availability during the season and could also impact others. Probably akin to two players being equal but one with a more pronounced injury history and thus they'd take the one with higher availability if all other things are equal.

Fritz
09-01-2021, 10:35 AM

The center, Jake Hanson, probably benefits most from this. He has seven weeks to improve and to show he's a very good backup at center. If he can do that, then maybe they cut Kelly once Bakh comes back. But Hanson was a surprise "stick" for me. He seemed singularly unimpressive in the preseason from what I've read.

Guiness
09-01-2021, 12:08 PM
Heflin stuck. I'll be watching him closely, interested to see how he works out.

texaspackerbacker
09-01-2021, 12:39 PM
Huge sign of relief hahahahaha - Pelissero reports that St. Brown cleared waivers and will be put on the Practice Squad. I haven't heard of any others confirmed on PS. There are at least 10 or 12 of the cuts who are certainly good enough that we shouldn't lose them.

smuggler
09-01-2021, 12:59 PM
No Packers got claimed and they didn't claim any players. Guess they're sticking with Bradley.

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2021, 01:03 PM
Huge sign of relief hahahahaha - Pelissero reports that St. Brown cleared waivers and will be put on the Practice Squad. I haven't heard of any others confirmed on PS. There are at least 10 or 12 of the cuts who are certainly good enough that we shouldn't lose them.

QB: Kurt Benkert
RB:
WR: Equanimeous St. Brown, Juwann Winfree
TE:
OL: Cole Van Lanen, Jacob Capra, Ben Braden
DL: Anderson Abdullah
OLB: Tipa Galeai
ILB:
CB: Kabion Ento
S: Innis Gaines
K: JJ Molson
P:
LS:

Tony Oday
09-01-2021, 01:14 PM
Benkert is awesome! Great Twitter Follow.

SudsMcBucky
09-01-2021, 01:14 PM
Add WR Chris Blair, LB Ray Wilborn, RB Patrick Taylor, DL Willington Previlon

SudsMcBucky
09-01-2021, 01:15 PM
Also TE Bronson Kaufusi.

Sparkey
09-01-2021, 02:00 PM
Why waste a spot on ESB ? For all his talent, he does not possess the most important ability. AVAIL-ability.

Upnorth
09-01-2021, 04:46 PM
Why waste a spot on ESB ? For all his talent, he does not possess the most important ability. AVAIL-ability.

We will want him if we get injuries. Even if only fir a couple games it will help.