PDA

View Full Version : Wk 2 Meaningless Mortal Kombat - Jets

Anti-Polar Bear
08-21-2021, 03:34 PM
Stokes allowed 1st on third and long. Then prevented 3rd and 4.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-21-2021, 03:36 PM
Zack Wilson was on my 2021 My Mastery Mockery of Draft. Mormon’s gonna be good.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-21-2021, 03:39 PM
Who is #7? Looks like a clone of Don What His Name.

RashanGary
08-21-2021, 03:41 PM
Boring!

Anti-Polar Bear
08-21-2021, 03:43 PM
Boring!

Dillion’s pounding the rock.
Yes, run-first is so boring

Anti-Polar Bear
08-21-2021, 03:44 PM
Hill TD!

Anti-Polar Bear
08-21-2021, 03:46 PM
Subzero or Scorpion, who is better?

Anti-Polar Bear
08-21-2021, 03:49 PM
90 of the Pack is a hustler. Mad respect after last weeks hustle screen play.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-21-2021, 03:53 PM
Barnes up the a gap to prevent 3rd and 1. Salah punts. It’s the preseason. Nothing to lose in going for it!

Anti-Polar Bear
08-21-2021, 04:02 PM
Bobble’s boi, Cory Davis looking good against the Pack’s scrubs.

RashanGary
08-21-2021, 04:11 PM
Jordan love made the last game watchable. This one, not so much. I thought Dillon looked pretty quick for his size. That’s a plus.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-21-2021, 04:14 PM
Benkert tripped on the snap twice in a row. Just put the guy in the gun!

Anti-Polar Bear
08-21-2021, 04:27 PM
7 to 87!

Anti-Polar Bear
08-21-2021, 04:31 PM
Jordan love made the last game watchable. This one, not so much. I thought Dillon looked pretty quick for his size. That’s a plus.

I am rooting for the Fortnite playing, game of thrones watching, free spirited, Majik man lookalike.

Kurt Benkert

Fosco33
08-21-2021, 04:40 PM
That 19 play, 10min, 81yr TD drive was fun to watch - and showed potential for Benmakowski as a future backup. Made a couple mistakes but converted six 3rd downs, long completions, overcame a holding penalty in red zone, converted a 4th down and a few dift types of passes - fades, fastball and some small windows. Rest of crew looked sharp - decent execution.

Worth a watch if you skipped the game.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-21-2021, 05:08 PM
Bobble’s boi, Kamal Martin, looks lost out there.

RashanGary
08-21-2021, 05:40 PM
Lucas Patrick looks better than the second half pre season competition.

I’m rooting for Kabian Ento.

RashanGary
08-21-2021, 05:41 PM

Gbbrandon was all over Martins jock. He was having a meltdown when we lost him last year as a rookie. I was like calm down dude, it’s a rookie.

RashanGary
08-21-2021, 05:44 PM
I’ve never seen a qb miss a game after getting the ball knocked out of his hand when throwing. I’m sure it’s a minor injury that could be played through except it’s preseason and more cautious than they need to be.

Not seeing love bothers me.

Benkert falling apart

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2021, 06:12 PM
I accidently on purpose missed the game. Love not playing is tragic, that's a third of his season.

MadScientist
08-21-2021, 06:17 PM
Managed to miss almost the whole game. From what little I saw, it's probably for the best.

The scrubs who won't make the practice squad aren't very good.

RashanGary
08-21-2021, 06:26 PM
I accidently on purpose missed the game. Love not playing is tragic, that's a third of his season.

I think practice is probably more important than preseason games, but it’s 1/3 of what we were going to see out of him and that is tragic for us.

RashanGary
08-21-2021, 06:28 PM
You can see Sternberger is bigger. Maybe he won’t get shoved out of the way when he pass protects like he’s not even there. If he could become a functional pass blocker, I think he’s shown upside as a pass catcher and a decent willing run blocker. But getting 12 killed is a big no-no. He’s got to get that figured out if he’s gonna play.

RashanGary
08-21-2021, 06:36 PM
I thought AJ Dillon looked good. He had the one where he had a strong one-cut and I thought he looked more agile than a 250 pounder should look. But he plays to his size with the rumbling and tumbling once he gets going.

You can see Krys Barnes is in better shape. He had a belly last year. Looks strong and fit this year. He might have more upside than we think because he made physical gains.

texaspackerbacker
08-21-2021, 10:04 PM
It was good to be able to see the game live.

It didn't bother me at all not having Love play. Very likely, we will see him play nearly the whole game next week. I thought Benkert was borderline decent today, at least as good as Love was last week, and against better competition. Those two stumbles may not have been his fault - they took Martin out right after. And on the interception, somebody fucked up big time, but I'd say 60/40 it was Patrick Taylor, not Benkert. Other than that, he was damn good.

As I have said, I don't like Funchess. Malik Taylor may just have sealed the deal for the 6th WR spot today - even better than Funchess last week and against better competition. I just hope they keep St. Brown over Funchess, at least PS, maybe even 53.

The O Line was better today, especially on runs. Hill looked good last week, but he was noticeably better this week - more burst - closer to Aaron Jones level. I'd like to see them keep 4 RBs and the 5th PS, as Dexter Williams looks damn good and Patrick Taylor was fairly decent too.

Sternberger had some good plays, but I still don't have a very high opinion of him. As it turns out, he's probably damn lucky he was suspended. Otherwise, he likely would be the 5th TE/first one out.

Stokes is gonna be really good. After that one slip up, he was damn good today. Ento is a hustling hard working guy, hopefully making the team - ideally with Kevin King not making it, but I don't suppose my wish will be granted there for King to be gone. The new guy, Yiadem, seemed to be a hustler too, but I doubt he makes the 53. V. Scott, Gaines, and Black all looked good at Safety, maybe Uphoff too. I think I'd take any of them over Will Redmond. We'll see if the team sees it that way.

It seems that Kamal Martin got taken advantage of something awful, giving up a ton of completions. I wonder, though, if some of those were supposed to be the responsibility of a Corner or Safety. I'd cut him, though, as at least four ILBs seemed clearly better than him, and the bottom of the barrel guy. Wilborn, even seemed to do better. Martin did, however, do good in the limited reps he got at OLB. I was watching Garvin, and he was kinda mediocre. That 4th and maybe 5th OLB spot seems wide open between Garvin, Galetai (sp.), Rivers, and D. Scott. All looked ok, but nobody stood out as good.

I really really hope the shitcan Lancaster, and ideally Lowery too. It probably won't happen, but Slayton looked very good, Heflin looked good, and Previlon was good last week. I'd take all of them over the undynamic duo from Northwestern.

It will be interesting to see if they see about picking up some late cut punter. It wouldn't take much IMO to beat out J.K. Scott.

We should all be damn thankful it was the Jets quality players dropping like flies and not the Packers. LaFleur was probably right to play the first string so little. I wonder who we will see out there next week.

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2021, 10:38 PM
Those two stumbles may not have been his fault - they took Martin out right after.

Who is Martin? If you are talking about Myers, they likely took him out because he's proven his worth and didn't need to stay in the game. On the first one Benkert tripped over LG Newman.

texaspackerbacker
08-21-2021, 11:53 PM
Who is Martin? If you are talking about Myers, they likely took him out because he's proven his worth and didn't need to stay in the game. On the first one Benkert tripped over LG Newman.

Yeah, my mistake. Myers. It was strange to take him out in the middle of the series right after the two stumbles. I've got a high opinion of Myers, but either his big feet got Benkert or else Benkert shoulda got out of the way quicker. I know they said Newman on the first one, but I really couldn't tell from the replay if it was him or Myers, and Myers was the one they suddenly took out.

Anyway I say again, Benkert all in all looked at least as good as Love and against higher level competition.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2021, 02:08 AM
Yeah, my mistake. Myers. It was strange to take him out in the middle of the series right after the two stumbles. I've got a high opinion of Myers, but either his big feet got Benkert or else Benkert shoulda got out of the way quicker. I know they said Newman on the first one, but I really couldn't tell from the replay if it was him or Myers, and Myers was the one they suddenly took out.

Anyway I say again, Benkert all in all looked at least as good as Love and against higher level competition.

I'm pretty sure it was Newman. I rewatched that sequence a few times because it was so funny. I don't think I've seen trips on consecutive plays before.

bobblehead
08-23-2021, 10:32 AM

Not sure I ever blew the Martin horn. But I might have in a drunken moment when he blew up a play last year. I'm more onboard the supersized ILB we signed from AZ.

edit: brainfart completely messed up my point.

bobblehead
08-23-2021, 10:35 AM
I thought AJ Dillon looked good. He had the one where he had a strong one-cut and I thought he looked more agile than a 250 pounder should look. But he plays to his size with the rumbling and tumbling once he gets going.

You can see Krys Barnes is in better shape. He had a belly last year. Looks strong and fit this year. He might have more upside than we think because he made physical gains.

An example of a player being able to improve his body whereas an athlete lacking instincts can never change that. (please prove me wrong Burks)

Sparkey
08-23-2021, 11:09 AM
Top 5 offense:

1. RB Kylin Hill, 91.8
2. G Jacob Capra, 90.6
3. G Royce Newman, 78.0
4. LT Yosh Nijman, 77.7
5. C Josh Myers, 75.4

Top 5 defense:

1. DL Josh Avery, 83.6
2. DL Jack Heflin, 79.7
3. DL Kingsley Keke, 71.1
4. LB Isaiah McDuffie, 69.6
5. CB Shemar Jean-Charles, 68.7

Bottom 5 offense:

1. TE Jace Sternberger, 48.6
2. RT Coy Cronk, 48.4
3. RB Patrick Taylor, 48.4
4. RB Dexter Williams, 42.4
5. QB Jake Dolegala, 37.5

Bottom 5 defense:

1. DL Willington Previlon, 47.0
2. S Innis Gaines, 40.8
3. LB Oren Burks, 40.1
4. LB Kamal Martin, 39.9
5. S Will Redmond, 33.7

See below for some context regarding the grades.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/packers-pff-grades-best-worst-players-in-preseason-game-vs-jets/

RashanGary
08-23-2021, 02:13 PM
An example of a player being able to improve his body whereas an athlete lacking instincts can never change that. (please prove me wrong Burks)

Some of the best steals in the draft are called marginal physical talents coming out. Some guys are late bloomers and don’t really reach their potential till they’re in the NFL. Other guys come from less than optimal workout programs and have more room to blossom. Other guys maybe were immature and they just have untapped room to grow.

Assuming a guy is what he is, isn’t always true.

And some guys maybe developed early and don’t have more upside.

It’s very hard to predict what a player can become in the NFL. One of many reasons the draft is such a crap shoot.

And yes, you’re more likely to see physical growth than mental. The mental part is often times, either you have it or you don’t. But there are some cases where the light comes on. Just less of them. Stupid is as stupid does in the nfl.

Fritz
08-23-2021, 02:23 PM
Top 5 offense:

1. RB Kylin Hill, 91.8
2. G Jacob Capra, 90.6
3. G Royce Newman, 78.0
4. LT Yosh Nijman, 77.7
5. C Josh Myers, 75.4

Top 5 defense:

1. DL Josh Avery, 83.6
2. DL Jack Heflin, 79.7
3. DL Kingsley Keke, 71.1
4. LB Isaiah McDuffie, 69.6
5. CB Shemar Jean-Charles, 68.7

Bottom 5 offense:

1. TE Jace Sternberger, 48.6
2. RT Coy Cronk, 48.4
3. RB Patrick Taylor, 48.4
4. RB Dexter Williams, 42.4
5. QB Jake Dolegala, 37.5

Bottom 5 defense:

1. DL Willington Previlon, 47.0
2. S Innis Gaines, 40.8
3. LB Oren Burks, 40.1
4. LB Kamal Martin, 39.9
5. S Will Redmond, 33.7

See below for some context regarding the grades.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/packers-pff-grades-best-worst-players-in-preseason-game-vs-jets/

I wasn't even sure the great Scotsman Isaiah McDuffie had suited up for a game yet. Nor was I sure if Shemale Jean-Claude Van Damme had played yet. Now I know.

bobblehead
08-24-2021, 09:42 AM
I was kinda down on my boy Yosh after he got Love hurt on a badly whiffed block, but PFF has him grading out high both weeks. I never really focused on him and I didn't notice him other than ONE really bad play. Maybe he has enough to continue the development. Man, he looks and moves the part though. But this is year 3. He really should be pushing for a starting spot by now.

Upnorth
08-24-2021, 11:24 AM
Wasn't the oline outside of Newman garbage in wk 1? Now 4 of top 5 on o? Anyone see a difference in time to throw or was benkurt quicker on the release in wk2?

HarveyWallbangers
08-26-2021, 12:03 AM
Rewatched the game, focusing on some of the fringe guys.

Jack Heflin hustles like a madman. He was pretty ordinary in the first half--before playing well against the Jets backups. Should be interesting between him and Lancaster. He seems a bit more athletic than Lancaster. I'm interested in watching him this week. Slaton and Heflin may make Lancaster expendable.

Ben Braden is a mauler, but he does not pass block well at RT. They got a look at him at RT, but I think he's an interior guy only.

I'd be shocked if Yosh Nijman doesn't make the team. I think I saw one bad play from him--on a run play where he let a DE get around him. He's such an easy mover and has added strength. Bull rushes give him some trouble, but now he's holding up against it (sometimes barely).

The first team OL was really solid. Nijman, Myers, Newman, and Runyan all played well. Braden was the only one that struggled (mostly on passing plays).

I've soured on Ento. He is raw and he can't tackle. I don't know if he plays special teams well enough to make the team. Yiadom didn't look like anything worth holding onto at CB or special teams. The Packers may be on the lookout for a backup CB after cutdowns.

All of the RBs ran well. The only negative was Taylor's fumble. I can't see them keeping 4, but I think Taylor and Williams are both worthy of a PS spot.

Kamal Martin was lost in coverage. TE Daniel Crawford was awful. It was pretty obvious why both guys got cut.

Christian Uphoff really flashed on special teams, but Innes Gaines impressed me more at safety. I'm not sure how good he is on special teams. If he's solid, he could make the team.

Not sure what to make of Isaiah McDuffie. He's light in the pants and isn't uber athletic. Made some plays though. He'll have to perform well on special teams.

Lucas Patrick was okay. He started off poorly before hitting his stride. Cole Van Lanen struggled in this game.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Benkert making the roster. There are worse backups in the league, and they may need a backup next year. I think there's a decent chance he'd get claimed--after watching a few other games tonight.

Wish I had made my projections after rewatching the game more closely.

bobblehead
08-26-2021, 09:45 AM
I got to rewatch it on NFL net. I watched Yosh a lot. He has really gotten better with positioning his body (footwork) and squaring up. Now to complete the deal he needs to work on his punch. That is how you keep a bull rusher off you. If he gets it down then his mass will do the rest of the job. He can be a functional back up tackle, but I wonder if he can play the right side. Our LT is locked up for a decade between Bak and Jenkins. Since he was very raw and they have worked hard to develop him as LT, I'm not sure he can.

bobblehead
08-26-2021, 09:47 AM
To another point you make Harv, I agree on Braden. Given the talent along the OL, I would like to see Jenkins become a tackle permanently. They are very deep on the interior.

Fritz
08-26-2021, 11:35 AM
To another point you make Harv, I agree on Braden. Given the talent along the OL, I would like to see Jenkins become a tackle permanently. They are very deep on the interior.

If Jenkins is as good as he appears to be, and if the Packers have a deep interior line, then it's worth just declaring Jenkins the starting left tackle until Bakh gets back, then moving him over to the right side. He's better than Turner, who can then be a backup or move back to RG.

texaspackerbacker
08-26-2021, 06:33 PM
I don't want Jenkins to stay at Tackle based on last year's performance. He was great at LG, and only moderately good at Tackle. Unless he makes a huge step forward, at Tackle, keep him at Guard. The way the Packers run mostly inside zone and with Rodgers' mobility making pass blocking by Tackles less of a factor, Guard is a more important position than Tackle. I wouldn't even change Jenkins to Tackle while Bakhtiari is out, but I guess that is a done deal.

Upnorth
08-27-2021, 08:32 AM
I don't want Jenkins to stay at Tackle based on last year's performance. He was great at LG, and only moderately good at Tackle. Unless he makes a huge step forward, at Tackle, keep him at Guard. The way the Packers run mostly inside zone and with Rodgers' mobility making pass blocking by Tackles less of a factor, Guard is a more important position than Tackle. I wouldn't even change Jenkins to Tackle while Bakhtiari is out, but I guess that is a done deal.

We have the MVP qb and you think guard is more important than tackle? I do not want to see love on the field this season except maybe in blow outs. Best way to make that happen is a pair of great tackles.

texaspackerbacker
08-27-2021, 02:30 PM
Hell Yeah! Rodgers has played basically his whole career using his mobility to get away from outside pass rushes. My p.o.v., which I know many in here disagree with, is that we literally never had great OTs - Bakhtiari being greatly overrated. Last year, we FINALLY had interior linemen and a quick burst kind of back to allow for a lot of inside zone runs. Also, the few rare times there has been a big pass rush in the inside gaps, even Rodgers has a hard time getting away from it.