PDA

View Full Version : Kamal Martin Released

RashanGary
08-23-2021, 02:25 PM
Per Bob Demovsky

Not a shock. Gbbrandon loved him because of one or two practice reports last year. He was devastated when he went down. Now he’s cut.

Remember, rookies suck and the draft is a crap shoot. Don’t get attached to unproven players.

CaptainKickass
08-23-2021, 06:43 PM
Don’t get attached to unproven players.

Ok but I REALLY enjoyed the nickname I had invented for him:

"Kamal Toe"

:bow:

smuggler
08-23-2021, 07:20 PM
Barnes constantly outperforming him was pretty damning. Somehow he looked much worse this season compared to last. Oh well...

Teamcheez1
08-23-2021, 07:27 PM
I feel like there must be more to the story for them to give up on a 5th round pick that quickly. After all, Burks is still here after doing almost nothing for 4 years. Or maybe, he just really sucks.

call_me_ishmael
08-23-2021, 08:38 PM
Projected to be a starter so I am sure there is more to the story than perf

texaspackerbacker
08-23-2021, 08:40 PM
Martin really stunk it up Saturday at ILB, but the one play (that I saw) where he played OLB, he looked good - really fast. Not only Burks and Summers are playing good, but McDuffie stood out in the few snaps he got also. Cutting a guy a day or so early can mean two things: I've seen it done as a favor to players who might have a chance to get picked up by another team. On the other hand, it could mean cutting him got to be especially obvious due to his poor play. I could see either of these as a possibility with Martin. - That or some unknown factor, like Teamcheez said.

bobblehead
08-24-2021, 09:36 AM
I feel like there must be more to the story for them to give up on a 5th round pick that quickly. After all, Burks is still here after doing almost nothing for 4 years. Or maybe, he just really sucks.

The story is that Burks is a ST ace and Martin offered very little there. Martin also wasn't assignment sure and apparently wasn't showing improvement. He might have had a little attitude, or something that made them think he wasn't going to improve the way they needed him to. I doubt he punched a coach or anything dramatic.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2021, 11:02 AM
The story is that Burks is a ST ace and Martin offered very little there. Martin also wasn't assignment sure and apparently wasn't showing improvement. He might have had a little attitude, or something that made them think he wasn't going to improve the way they needed him to. I doubt he punched a coach or anything dramatic.

I don't think it was attitude. MLF said in his press conference that Martin was a great person and teammate. I think it might have had more to do with his recovery from his knee injury last year.

Releasing LB Kamal Martin was 'tough decision' for Packers (https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/24/releasing-lb-kamal-martin-was-tough-decision-for-packers/)

“He is a big, long, physical athlete that can really run, and he’s a great kid, great person. That was one of the tougher ones that we’ve had to make in our two years here,” LaFleur said.

Fritz
08-25-2021, 03:41 PM
Hmm. Maybe it was the injury lingering, then. Like Kevin King, he can't seem to recover - he's apparently lost a step. Unlike Kevin King, the Packers parted ways.

texaspackerbacker
08-25-2021, 03:55 PM
Did you see Kevin King's presscon where he is predicting great things for himself? I wish him luck hahahahaha.

run pMc
08-27-2021, 09:02 AM
My first thought was surprise - he showed promise last year.

Then I wondered if he was a locker room issue. The more time passes, the more I think it was health and performance.
He had knee issues and I'm guessing his CoD is not improving and if he can't stay healthy, be assignment sure, or cover then he's not long for the roster.

He was not assignment sure last year, and often played a bit out of control. My guess is the game still hadn't slowed down for him and wasn't picking up those assignments correctly. Coaches likely gave him a pass as a rookie, but likely felt by now he should know his job better.

RashanGary
08-27-2021, 09:30 AM
My first thought was surprise - he showed promise last year.

Then I wondered if he was a locker room issue. The more time passes, the more I think it was health and performance.
He had knee issues and I'm guessing his CoD is not improving and if he can't stay healthy, be assignment sure, or cover then he's not long for the roster.

He was not assignment sure last year, and often played a bit out of control. My guess is the game still hadn't slowed down for him and wasn't picking up those assignments correctly. Coaches likely gave him a pass as a rookie, but likely felt by now he should know his job better.

Yep. Maybe didn’t come back In very good shape too. Barnes looks more fit and ready to roll. Kamal has been constantly injured. His body probably isn’t in NFL shape either.