PDA

View Full Version : Week 3 meaningless game Vs. Bills (unless you are on the bubble)

bobblehead
08-28-2021, 08:37 AM
Players and battles to watch:

Yosh Nijman: With a solid game vs starters he will be on the team. Maybe even with an average game. Kelly was a good signing but has been hurt and not spectacular when healthy from what I have heard. Jenkins permanent move to tackle changes some dynamics and Yosh's emergence could make Kelly expendable. The team could really benefit if Yosh is a player.

Taylor vs. Winfree: Sorry tex, the writing is on the wall for St. Brown. One of these 2 is the 6th WR and it could come down to this game. Taylor has the edge with experience in the system and ST ability, but a big game from Winfree could changed he dynamic. Darkhorse: Begelton has done nothing to make the team want to cut him, but having Cobb and Amari in the slot leaves little room for him on the 53. They will want to keep him around on the squad.

Patrick vs. Runyan vs. Newman: It honestly seems as if Newman has already locked up a spot, but MiLF doesn't want to give a rookie too much praise just yet. I'm leaning towards Runyan right now so Patrick can continue to work at C and G. Thats not fair to Patrick, but if its pretty equal you have to consider such things. If you give it to Patrick his work as a C gets really limited.

Heflin vs. Lancaster vs. Previlon: 4 spots are locked in. Will they keep 6? I would expect them to keep only 5 and try to sneak one onto the squad. Lancaster is most likely to get signed to another teams 53 and that actually gives him the edge. But if they team feels good about the other 2 they might just cut bait on Lancaster and honestly it could go either way with the other 2. If one of them has a standout game (or if one of them has a crappy game) this game will decide things. However if they both fail to impress it could be another year of rolling with Tyler.

LB is set at the top 3 both ILB and OLB. The backup battles leave me uninspired. Would like to see Galeai bend an edge just so we have someone with that skill set on the team. Would love to see Burks look like and NFL player one more time in the meaningless games.

S: I really want to see Uphoff make the team. He reminds me a bit of Raven Greene, but its very possible he needs a season on the squad. You have a huge battle of Gaines/Uphoff/Black/Scott/ for only 2 spots (do they keep 5?). It likely comes down to ST again and I can't really say I have a clue which way this goes.

CB: Now here is a battle. They very well might keep 6. 3 locked in (Jaire, King, Stokes). Pretty sure Charles has a spot also. So at most 2 spots. Yiadom has made plays all camp. Ento has shields like talent. Sullivan has proven he belongs in the NFL. I just have no clue and I'm not even sure ST makes as big a difference as at other positions. Maybe other rats can offer insight into this battle

P: Yes, there is a competition. Scott vs. every punter who might be on waivers before week 1. Sorry, the scott experiment has failed. We can and need to do better. I won't be a bit surprised if everyone who has scott on the final 53 is wrong.

RashanGary
08-28-2021, 10:46 AM
Nice write up, bobble. I’m uninspired by preseason play this year. I’m just sort of waiting and seeing how it shakes out and then getting a feel for the team once the real games start abd injuries happen.

Fritz
08-28-2021, 10:57 AM
Players and battles to watch:

Yosh Nijman: With a solid game vs starters he will be on the team. Maybe even with an average game. Kelly was a good signing but has been hurt and not spectacular when healthy from what I have heard. Jenkins permanent move to tackle changes some dynamics and Yosh's emergence could make Kelly expendable. The team could really benefit if Yosh is a player.

Taylor vs. Winfree: Sorry tex, the writing is on the wall for St. Brown. One of these 2 is the 6th WR and it could come down to this game. Taylor has the edge with experience in the system and ST ability, but a big game from Winfree could changed he dynamic. Darkhorse: Begelton has done nothing to make the team want to cut him, but having Cobb and Amari in the slot leaves little room for him on the 53. They will want to keep him around on the squad.

Patrick vs. Runyan vs. Newman: It honestly seems as if Newman has already locked up a spot, but MiLF doesn't want to give a rookie too much praise just yet. I'm leaning towards Runyan right now so Patrick can continue to work at C and G. Thats not fair to Patrick, but if its pretty equal you have to consider such things. If you give it to Patrick his work as a C gets really limited.

Heflin vs. Lancaster vs. Previlon: 4 spots are locked in. Will they keep 6? I would expect them to keep only 5 and try to sneak one onto the squad. Lancaster is most likely to get signed to another teams 53 and that actually gives him the edge. But if they team feels good about the other 2 they might just cut bait on Lancaster and honestly it could go either way with the other 2. If one of them has a standout game (or if one of them has a crappy game) this game will decide things. However if they both fail to impress it could be another year of rolling with Tyler.

LB is set at the top 3 both ILB and OLB. The backup battles leave me uninspired. Would like to see Galeai bend an edge just so we have someone with that skill set on the team. Would love to see Burks look like and NFL player one more time in the meaningless games.

S: I really want to see Uphoff make the team. He reminds me a bit of Raven Greene, but its very possible he needs a season on the squad. You have a huge battle of Gaines/Uphoff/Black/Scott/ for only 2 spots (do they keep 5?). It likely comes down to ST again and I can't really say I have a clue which way this goes.

CB: Now here is a battle. They very well might keep 6. 3 locked in (Jaire, King, Stokes). Pretty sure Charles has a spot also. So at most 2 spots. Yiadom has made plays all camp. Ento has shields like talent. Sullivan has proven he belongs in the NFL. I just have no clue and I'm not even sure ST makes as big a difference as at other positions. Maybe other rats can offer insight into this battle

P: Yes, there is a competition. Scott vs. every punter who might be on waivers before week 1. Sorry, the scott experiment has failed. We can and need to do better. I won't be a bit surprised if everyone who has scott on the final 53 is wrong.

I am all on board with cutting Scott if someone else gets cut who is a better/more consistent punter, and who can hold as well. The only glitch is that this fucks up Mason Crosby, of course.

But you can't keep a punter because he holds for kicks well. Scott has not worked out. This is the beginning of year three. If he can't punt consistently now, then when?

RashanGary
08-28-2021, 11:33 AM
It’s gonna be the Jordan Love show. Let’s hope for the best here from Jlo.

texaspackerbacker
08-28-2021, 11:36 AM
Bobblehead, I agree with some - well under half of what you wrote. Apparently you haven't done much counting of numbers adding up to 53 or 69. A lot of what you see as contests definitely don't need to be.

Yeah, it wouldn't take much at all to be better than Scott (J.K.). As for Safety, I see them keeping at least 5 - 6 not being out of the question, in which case we keep all of those young guys. They also could easily keep 6 Corners. D Line, OLB, ILB, we easily can keep anybody beyond 4 or 5 on the PS. As I have said, I don't like Jenkins at Tackle even temporarily, and it would be stupid to keep him there when Bakhtiari comes back. Whether we keep 8 or 9 or even 10 (I hope not) O Linemen, there's plenty of room for the others on the PS.

Regarding the biggest disagreement, there are actually 9 WRs in play. I would think Begelton is ahead of Winfrey, who hopefully is healthy enough for the PS. Malik Taylor has pretty much demonstrated the past two games plus apparently in practice that he belongs on the 53. I would concede that playing more on special teams maybe makes him more valuable than St. Brown even though the latter is a better receiver and absolutely should be kept.

3 Sp. Teamers, 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 4 TEs, 7 WRs. 9 OL, 5 DL, 4 ILBs, 4 OLBs, 6 Corners, 6 Safetys = 53, 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 3 OL, 2 DL, 1 ILB, 2 OLBs, 1 Corner + 2 = 16 PS. I wouldn't be surprised if they PS Moulsen, the kicker. Supposedly he finished practice yesterday kicking a 56 and a 60 yarder.

texaspackerbacker
08-28-2021, 11:38 AM
It’s gonna be the Jordan Love show. Let’s hope for the best here from Jlo.

Let's hope he makes the decision to give Rodgers his long term contract easier - without decreasing Love's trade value too much hahahaha.

bobblehead
08-28-2021, 12:08 PM
Bobblehead, I agree with some - well under half of what you wrote. Apparently you haven't done much counting of numbers adding up to 53 or 69. A lot of what you see as contests definitely don't need to be.

Yeah, it wouldn't take much at all to be better than Scott (J.K.). As for Safety, I see them keeping at least 5 - 6 not being out of the question, in which case we keep all of those young guys. They also could easily keep 6 Corners. D Line, OLB, ILB, we easily can keep anybody beyond 4 or 5 on the PS. As I have said, I don't like Jenkins at Tackle even temporarily, and it would be stupid to keep him there when Bakhtiari comes back. Whether we keep 8 or 9 or even 10 (I hope not) O Linemen, there's plenty of room for the others on the PS.

Regarding the biggest disagreement, there are actually 9 WRs in play. I would think Begelton is ahead of Winfrey, who hopefully is healthy enough for the PS. Malik Taylor has pretty much demonstrated the past two games plus apparently in practice that he belongs on the 53. I would concede that playing more on special teams maybe makes him more valuable than St. Brown even though the latter is a better receiver and absolutely should be kept.

3 Sp. Teamers, 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 4 TEs, 7 WRs. 9 OL, 5 DL, 4 ILBs, 4 OLBs, 6 Corners, 6 Safetys = 53, 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 3 OL, 2 DL, 1 ILB, 2 OLBs, 1 Corner + 2 = 16 PS. I wouldn't be surprised if they PS Moulsen, the kicker. Supposedly he finished practice yesterday kicking a 56 and a 60 yarder.

I can count. I also didn't speculate too much on squad because they have to clear waivers. I also can't be sure if they keep 6 CB and S both. I find that unlikely. Probably will keep 5 OLB. I wouldn't be shocked if they kept 5 TE. Also possibly 6 DL. I didn't want to write a novel about the competition for a spot between Previlon and Uphoff. I tried to keep it within positiion groups while acknowledging they could keep extra or go light in certain areas. 10 OL wouldn't totally stun me. And again, if you speculate on 11 DBs, then the competition between a couple hybrids weighs in.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 12:09 PM
Bills are playing their starters. Packers playing chicken.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 12:10 PM
Stokes isn’t even suited up.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 12:10 PM
Did the they cut Sullivan? The guy sucks!

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 12:14 PM
Rivers with a sack! Who?

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 12:15 PM
3rd and 20, 24 allows TD

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 12:16 PM
Take Josh Allen out! Ain’t fair game with the Pack playing cowardly!

jklowan
08-28-2021, 12:19 PM
who is 24 toasted on that drive. the middle looks as swiss cheese as always, mid season form

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 12:20 PM
Hello, Mr. Hyde!

pittstang5
08-28-2021, 12:22 PM
who is 24 toasted on that drive. the middle looks as swiss cheese as always, mid season form The dude they traded Josh Jackson for. What a waste!

jklowan
08-28-2021, 12:27 PM
Hill looks really good so far

pittstang5
08-28-2021, 12:27 PM
Who kicked off - # 35?

pittstang5
08-28-2021, 12:29 PM
Too many Packers are slipping

pittstang5
08-28-2021, 12:30 PM
No points - that sucks. Yeah, I know it's preseason - still sucks they couldn't punch it in.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 12:32 PM
Packers tried to run the ball in the red zone, something Bobble and his ilk wanted in the NFC title game.

3 times in a fucking row. Couldn’t punch it in. Turnover on downs.

Shit like this is why you throw the rock!

Sparkey
08-28-2021, 12:33 PM
Love looked good first series.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2021, 12:36 PM
Packers tried to run the ball in the red zone, something Bobble and his ilk wanted in the NFC title game.

3 times in a fucking row. Couldn’t punch it in. Turnover on downs.

Shit like this is why you throw the rock!

Apples and oranges. Backup OL vs Bills starting defense

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 12:39 PM
“Richard” Rodgers can’t get open to save Zeus’ rooster.

Glad Cobb’s back.

jklowan
08-28-2021, 12:40 PM
yadim finally gets a stop

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 12:40 PM
Apples and oranges. Backup OL vs Bills starting defense

Still, Playaction woulda been perfect on 2nd down.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2021, 12:46 PM
Backups are playing pretty good against starters again this week.

Love solid so far.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 12:50 PM
Wtf love! FaviAn pick!

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2021, 12:50 PM
That was dumb. I wonder if he was trying to throw it away. Looked like it came out weird after he got tripped. Was that Newman again?

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 12:51 PM
Backups are playing pretty good against starters again this week.

Love solid so far.

Just threw it up for grab after slipping.

jklowan
08-28-2021, 12:51 PM
Love with a really bad decision on that int

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 12:52 PM
Goddamn Mr Hyde. Always getting gimme,
Larry Brown, picks.

Kap is reading this and lol.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 12:53 PM
Why the fuck is Josh “My nigga” Allen still playing?

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2021, 12:54 PM
White practically tackling Taylor on that pick. :) Kept Taylor from fighting for the ball.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 01:05 PM
Defense can’t get off the field on 3rd downs. Pettine still coaching the D?

RashanGary
08-28-2021, 01:07 PM
Love shows upside and then some downside. Kind of what you expect from a young player but still disappointing to see that duck.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2021, 01:08 PM
Defense can’t get off the field on 3rd downs. Pettine still coaching the D?

:)

Isaac Yiadom and Kabian Ento vs Josh Allen. What were you expecting? It’s a minor miracle the defense stopped them on one drive.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 01:09 PM
Love = Brett Hundley

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 01:10 PM

Isaac Yiadom and Kabian Ento vs Josh Allen. What were you expecting? It’s a minor miracle the defense stopped them on one drive.

Word.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 01:13 PM
86 making a case for a roster spot

Sparkey
08-28-2021, 01:14 PM
Great throw on the free play by Love

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 01:18 PM
32: Poor man’s Aaron Jones

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 01:19 PM
Great throw on the free play by Love

I thought he threw late and arm got hit.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2021, 01:19 PM
Some positives from this game. Offense has moved the ball. Down to down Love has been good. Hill, Taylor, Begelton, OL have had good moments. Not much positive on defense against Allen. Heflin, Rivers, and Slaton about the only ones who have made a play.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 01:22 PM
Cut Crosby!

RashanGary
08-28-2021, 01:22 PM
Jordan love looking suspect

Bretsky
08-28-2021, 01:36 PM
Jordan love looking suspect

agree; they should let him play the whole 2nd half.

texaspackerbacker
08-28-2021, 01:45 PM
Love has been about what I'd expect - a few good plays, a few not good. I don't like his judgment in throwing at all. You'd think he would have learned something watching Aaron Rodgers. Hill looked good, Dylan not so much. Our O Line against their #1 D did pretty good, in the run game especially. Anybody notice, Van Lanen playing LG and doing ok? Taylor and Begelton are looking good, the TEs either not so much or they just aren't being used.

Our D wasn't good, but scrubs against first string of a damn good team, low expectations. Yiadem looked bad. Jean-Charles was disappointing. Slayton and Heflin looked good. Garvin looked good early; Rivers too, Delontae Scott not so much. Game back on.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 01:48 PM
Love has been about what I'd expect - a few good plays, a few not good. I don't like his judgment in throwing at all. You'd think he would have learned something watching Aaron Rodgers. Hill looked good, Dylan not so much. Our O Line against their #1 D did pretty good, in the run game especially. Anybody notice, Van Lanen playing LG and doing ok? Taylor and Begelton are looking good, the TEs either not so much or they just aren't being used.

Our D wasn't good, but scrubs against first string of a damn good team, low expectations. Yiadem looked bad. Jean-Charles was disappointing. Slayton and Heflin looked good. Garvin looked good early; Rivers too, Delontae Scott not so much. Game back on.

This godforshaken preseason can’t end soon enough.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 01:51 PM
Tex’s boy, Tru the Jew is in.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 01:53 PM
Tex’s boy, Tru the Jew is in.

Maybe not

RashanGary
08-28-2021, 01:58 PM
Rodgers has always been prone to hold the ball and go down vs force anything. Love is prone to force it. Hopefully he can clean that up.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 02:03 PM

Still can’t get off the field vs the Bills scrubs

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2021, 02:10 PM
Still scrubs on Packers defense, so who cares? A majority of the guys on the field aren’t even going to make the team.

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2021, 02:46 PM
Love = Brett Hundley

We better let Aaron green-light all GM moves.

RashanGary
08-28-2021, 02:59 PM

:lol:

smuggler
08-28-2021, 03:05 PM
I thought love looked pretty good against their starters considering who he was throwing to. Even though we didn't actually punch it in our backups played pretty well against a lot of their starters. Overall I think we were the better team on the field. I know it's weird to say that considering we got shut out. I was pretty encouraged by mcduffie.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 03:09 PM

Trust me, I once unwisely paid $200 to watch Hundley play against the Baltimore Ravens at Lambeau Field (tix was purchased prior to the season prior to the infamous Barr hit). First or second series, Hundley drove Pack into the red zone only to throw a pick in the end zone. Pack lost like 73-0.

Love is eerily Hundleyesque. And I ain’t just saying this cos they’re both Black-Asian hybrids.

Yes. Let 12 be GM.

Jaire
08-28-2021, 03:11 PM
Majik man was a 10th round pick. Runner up for an MVP in '89 to Joe cool.

Just saying

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 03:14 PM
Still scrubs on Packers defense, so who cares? A majority of the guys on the field aren’t even going to make the team.

The first team D had problems getting off the field last year, so pardon my apprehension.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2021, 03:22 PM
Majik man was a 10th round pick. Runner up for an MVP in '89 to Joe cool.

Just saying

Jaire, swear to Providence you ain’t in any shape, form, matter or anti-matter a reincarnation of Prof Rand, and we’ll close that theory (that you’re the devolution of Rand).

Rand would never utter Providence’s name in vain.

RashanGary
08-28-2021, 03:33 PM
I wonder if Malik Taylor can get more routes down than the back shoulders and come back routes. He’s got a couple go to routes though. It’s a starting point. It’s like a pass rusher with a decent power move that needs to develop some counters.

RashanGary
08-28-2021, 03:34 PM
I think if Taylor had to start, corners would learn to sit on those come backs and back shoulders.

Jaire
08-28-2021, 04:03 PM
Jaire, swear to Providence you ain’t in any shape, form, matter or anti-matter a reincarnation of Prof Rand, and we’ll close that theory (that you’re the devolution of Rand).

Rand would never utter Providence’s name in vain.

Nope. I can't stand Rand though I might have a philosophy book coming out soon debunking some of the idols of philosophy. Rand is a 3rd rate philosopher & writer and doesn't make the cut.

I am just having fun. Actually I feel pretty good about Love & Kurt going forward. One of them might be above average; and they should do ok in Lafleur's system.

Enjoy the last dance.

texaspackerbacker
08-28-2021, 04:18 PM
The first team D had problems getting off the field last year, so pardon my apprehension.

I don't think we saw even one player of our first string D today.

texaspackerbacker
08-28-2021, 04:32 PM
Even in a preseason game with no starters in there, one thing worried me like maybe it's a scheme weakness of our D - those short jet sweeps or outside runs in general where our OLBs seem to be way too easy to jam up inside. I hope Barry can figure out and fix that.

I ask ya'all - almost like a poll, did you really think Love outplayed Benkert? Yeah, he has the built-in excuse of playing against damn good D, better than what Benkert played against, but I really thought Benkert looked quicker, threw better, had better judgment, etc.

In the O Line, Braden and Hanson I thought stunk. Nijman was a lot more good than bad. Runyan looked fairly good, and Van Lanen had only one bad play that I saw and a few good ones playing Guard.

It's really hard to watch a shitshow like today, but it ain't the coaches' job to give fans entertainment in the preseason. It gives us all a taste of what it's like to be a Bears fan hahahaha.

How did ya'all like our late game replacement punter?

run pMc
08-28-2021, 05:29 PM
Good for the personnel dept and coaches to see the 2's and 3's play against an AFC playoff team playing its 1's. Did not expect them to win but imagine if they were better in the RZ.
Agree with Tex re: Love -- he played some very good, some very knucklehead. MLF should be enough of a QB whisperer to help him develop. Love needs another year but I have a bad feeling this is it for Rodgers in GB and Love will be thrust into starting next year before he's really ready. (I hope I'm wrong.) Love was able to move the ball with mostly backups. Also, yay for those backups not getting him killed.

The defense was the concern last year, and it still is until we see the starters play. Had I been told pre-game that Josh Allen was going to be throwing to Cole Beasley and Gabriel Davis against S-JC, Ento, and Yiadom then I would've expected more carnage honestly. Starters should win vs. bubble guys most of the time.

Bretsky
08-28-2021, 07:17 PM
Even in a preseason game with no starters in there, one thing worried me like maybe it's a scheme weakness of our D - those short jet sweeps or outside runs in general where our OLBs seem to be way too easy to jam up inside. I hope Barry can figure out and fix that.

I ask ya'all - almost like a poll, did you really think Love outplayed Benkert? Yeah, he has the built-in excuse of playing against damn good D, better than what Benkert played against, but I really thought Benkert looked quicker, threw better, had better judgment, etc.

In the O Line, Braden and Hanson I thought stunk. Nijman was a lot more good than bad. Runyan looked fairly good, and Van Lanen had only one bad play that I saw and a few good ones playing Guard.

It's really hard to watch a shitshow like today, but it ain't the coaches' job to give fans entertainment in the preseason. It gives us all a taste of what it's like to be a Bears fan hahahaha.

It's not really relevant if Love outplayed Benkert; Love is our backup. I'm not really sure either jumped above the other but Love has more upside and he was a 1st and 4th round draft pick so he's our backup

RashanGary
08-28-2021, 07:25 PM
If Love is lucky enough to get one more season behind Rodgers, and then gets thrown into the fire next year…. Nothing is more ideal for a young QB. Same offense in his third year. Rodgers is breaking in the two rookie OL this year. Next year we go in with Bakh, Jenkins, Meyers, Newman and Turner. Hell yeah, love is in a great situation. I don’t expect him to win 13 games but I do expect him to show promise right away. He’s been lucky enough to already have that Rodgers cadence to play with. He’s already getting guys offsides with it.

In an ideal world, I think we keep Tonyan, Lazard and MVS so Love has some long term veterans pieces to throw to. And then draft another one somewhat high.

Jones and Dillon are nice pieces for Love to start out with.

And Deguara and Tonyan.

Love is walking into one of the most ideal young QB situations in recent history. I’m not saying he needs to play like a savvy vet, but if he doesn’t look solid like Rodgers did early in his career, I’ll be disappointed.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2021, 07:35 PM
I was encouraged by Love. He has all the things you can’t teach. It’s up to him to develop. Has to get the hero ball out of his system. He looked better in his first preseason action than Rodgers, and probably better than Rodgers in his second preseason. I’m still on the bandwagon.

bobblehead
08-28-2021, 07:38 PM
Very quick takes. Love looks like a really good backup who needs another year. Hill is a stud and perhaps my best draft call ever. Taylor is WR 6 unless Kumerow gets cut and Rodgers insists on bringing him back. OL is set and Patrick is a lock with how bad the Hansen played. What do they do when bak returns. Someone has to go to the bench and I can't guess who it will be. Our D wasn't as bad as I expected with 2s vs 1s. No one impressed me enough to comment on though. Yiadom can go back to the scrap heap we found him on.

bobblehead
08-28-2021, 07:42 PM

Tex, the D was playing vanilla against Josh frickin Allen. You can only judge individual efforts.

Yes, Love was much better than Benkert given who he was playing against and with.

I agree with your OL assessment. Braden might have played himself off the roster to be honest.

RashanGary
08-28-2021, 07:45 PM
I was encouraged by Love. He has all the things you can’t teach. It’s up to him to develop. Has to get the hero ball out of his system. He looked better in his first preseason action than Rodgers, and probably better than Rodgers in his second preseason. I’m still on the bandwagon.

I’m on the band wagon too. He makes some really good throws. I love the situation he’s in. If he takes over next year, he gets a veteran OL that Rodgers broke in for him. That’s a big deal too. Third year in MLFs offense. He’s in a great spot to show his stuff early.

texaspackerbacker
08-28-2021, 09:44 PM
It's not really relevant if Love outplayed Benkert; Love is our backup. I'm not really sure either jumped above the other but Love has more upside and he was a 1st and 4th round draft pick so he's our backup

The relevance would be the best case scenario - which I don't expect to happen, trade Love and Benkert becomes an adequate back up the nest few years.

smuggler
08-28-2021, 11:03 PM
Sort of feeling good about Love after watching some of the plays from today's game. Specifically the throw to Begelton on the free play at 2:00 in the 2nd quarter.

My original complaint with Rodgers, when he was relieving Favre in Dallas way back in 2007, was that I didn't feel he was playing with anticipation. Love does not seem to have that issue. Granted, he's going to have to make better decisions in the red zone, but the release is there. The anticipation is there. And he has a strong arm and athleticism. If we have to turn to him next year, or perhaps (knock on wood) this year, we may be okay.

King Friday
08-29-2021, 08:37 AM
I agree that the only thing holding Love back right now is between the ears. Time will tell whether that is merely a result of the learning curve or a true weakness of his. By most accounts, he is putting in the work and showing steady improvement. Saturday was only the second live game he's played in over a year and a half. Josh Allen looked very similar to Love in his first year plus in the league...and you saw what he looks like now. Allen to me is a very similar comparison to Love...tons of physical talent, but had a steep learning curve due to the lack of playing against elite talent in college. It took Allen awhile to get his bearings, but he's well on his way to being a top 5 QB in the league.

texaspackerbacker
08-29-2021, 11:52 AM
If Love is lucky enough to get one more season behind Rodgers, and then gets thrown into the fire next year…. Nothing is more ideal for a young QB. Same offense in his third year. Rodgers is breaking in the two rookie OL this year. Next year we go in with Bakh, Jenkins, Meyers, Newman and Turner. Hell yeah, love is in a great situation. I don’t expect him to win 13 games but I do expect him to show promise right away. He’s been lucky enough to already have that Rodgers cadence to play with. He’s already getting guys offsides with it.

In an ideal world, I think we keep Tonyan, Lazard and MVS so Love has some long term veterans pieces to throw to. And then draft another one somewhat high.

Jones and Dillon are nice pieces for Love to start out with.

And Deguara and Tonyan.

Love is walking into one of the most ideal young QB situations in recent history. I’m not saying he needs to play like a savvy vet, but if he doesn’t look solid like Rodgers did early in his career, I’ll be disappointed.

Yeah, maybe, but that's not really the point. If it's a good situation for him, it's just as good a situation for _____ (fill in the blank) - any mediocre QB we could grab. It would also be an ideal situation for an aging nearly and then over 40 superstar QB who (theoretically) is gonna start to fade at some point in a few years.

What do you suppose would be the reaction of the Packer brain trust if tomorrow, some team called up and inquired about a trade of a moderately high draft pick for Love?

Bretsky
08-29-2021, 12:46 PM
Yeah, maybe, but that's not really the point. If it's a good situation for him, it's just as good a situation for _____ (fill in the blank) - any mediocre QB we could grab. It would also be an ideal situation for an aging nearly and then over 40 superstar QB who (theoretically) is gonna start to fade at some point in a few years.

What do you suppose would be the reaction of the Packer brain trust if tomorrow, some team called up and inquired about a trade of a moderately high draft pick for Love?

TEX TEX TEX; The Love Machine is Gutebag's boy :)))) He'd turn down the inquiry and to be quite honest what could we maybe get for him...a 3rd ?

To answer your question, you could fill in your blank above with last year's backup QB and keep the same statement.

RashanGary
08-29-2021, 01:02 PM
Love is obviously the highest upside, best prospect we’re gonna get in a while. Remember, Gute did not have to take a QB in 2020. He chose to move up in the first round to take a QB when he already had one. There was no desperation. He’s a top tier prospect.

So I’m always gonna look at the situation he’s in. By the time he would start, he’d be in his third year in the same offense. No other QB in the league is going to be in the third year of MLFs offense next year.

He’ll have a vet OL that Rodgers broke in for him

Rodgers took favres cadence and improved it. Now love gets a 30 year evolved cadence handed to him.

Specifically, Love is in a great situation. What separates love from everyone else is the upside. What makes it exciting is Love specifically being that guy.

Jordan love is in the one QB who’s in the best QB position in the league and the pay drop from Rodgers will Insure the team around him stays good.

Fritz
08-29-2021, 01:09 PM
Tex, the D was playing vanilla against Josh frickin Allen. You can only judge individual efforts.

Yes, Love was much better than Benkert given who he was playing against and with.

I agree with your OL assessment. Braden might have played himself off the roster to be honest.

It sounds like Van Lannen might have beaten out Braden for a spot, and it sounds like Hanson played his way off the roster and so Lucas Patrick will be in as the backup center.

RashanGary
08-29-2021, 01:22 PM
It sounds like Van Lannen might have beaten out Braden for a spot, and it sounds like Hanson played his way off the roster and so Lucas Patrick will be in as the backup center.

From LT (Jenkins) all the way across the board to Turner (RT) we have either rookies, first year starters (Runyan) or position switches. The OL is going to be below average. That’s a bet.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-29-2021, 01:44 PM
Nope. I can't stand Rand though I might have a philosophy book coming out soon debunking some of the idols of philosophy. Rand is a 3rd rate philosopher & writer and doesn't make the cut.

I am just having fun. Actually I feel pretty good about Love & Kurt going forward. One of them might be above average; and they should do ok in Lafleur's system.

Enjoy the last dance.

So are you or are you not an alter ego of “mraynrand”? Swear to Providence.

Bretsky
08-29-2021, 01:56 PM
Love is obviously the highest upside, best prospect we’re gonna get in a while. Remember, Gute did not have to take a QB in 2020. He chose to move up in the first round to take a QB when he already had one. There was no desperation. He’s a top tier prospect.

Jordan love is in the one QB who’s in the best QB position in the league and the pay drop from Rodgers will Insure the team around him stays good.

Not at all true; the Packers trade up to pick 20 or 21 to get Love. You can do that in a lot of years. He may be the best prospect we have today; but we could get something very similar within 2 years of the times Rodgers leaves...... no matter where Jordan Love is. Unless you think he's really that elite. If you look at the past two years of 1st RB QB's I'd put him in the middle to bottom half of the group

I'd agree he's in the best QB position of the league because he has the most talent around him. You'd be saying the same thing about whoever our backup QB is

RashanGary
08-29-2021, 02:17 PM
Not at all true; the Packers trade up to pick 20 or 21 to get Love. You can do that in a lot of years. He may be the best prospect we have today; but we could get something very similar within 2 years of the times Rodgers leaves...... no matter where Jordan Love is. Unless you think he's really that elite. If you look at the past two years of 1st RB QB's I'd put him in the middle to bottom half of the group

I'd agree he's in the best QB position of the league because he has the most talent around him. You'd be saying the same thing about whoever our backup QB is

I would be much less excited about Tim Boyle.

Fritz
08-29-2021, 02:20 PM

You think that, yes, but nobody knows that. If Love turns out to be a very good starter you'll be wrong, as picking where the Packers usually do does not result in being able to trade up enough to get "something very similar" to a very good QB. If Love turns out to be average, you're closer to the mark. Even then, though, QB's are in such demand that even marginally promising guys often go pretty high. Like Brady Quinn.

smuggler
08-29-2021, 03:45 PM
Although Love was picked in the early 20s, he was a top-15 talent, which is why it was a bargain to trade up and take him... We have a player like that on the roster in Gary. Savage and Alexander are just past that range. He's a great developmental piece that helps us compete in case QB1 goes down.

smuggler
08-29-2021, 03:47 PM
The Colts are really hurting right now because we got Love and they had to trade for the Wentz.

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2021, 04:43 PM

I thought CVL really struggled in the two games I watched. Braden was better, but I don’t think he’s an OT. It will be all about potential at that spot though—like carrying Nijman last year.

Fritz
08-29-2021, 04:53 PM
I thought CVL really struggled in the two games I watched. Braden was better, but I don’t think he’s an OT. It will be all about potential at that spot though—like carrying Nijman last year.

Well, you actually watched so you know better. So - do you think Nijman will be picked to stay on the 53 as a backup tackle at the expense of CVL and/or Braden?

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2021, 05:26 PM
Well, you actually watched so you know better. So - do you think Nijman will be picked to stay on the 53 as a backup tackle at the expense of CVL and/or Braden?

I’d easily take Nijman over those two.

Sparkey
08-29-2021, 06:55 PM
Top 5 Offense:

1. OL Royce Newman, 91.2

2. WR Malik Taylor, 85.1

3. TE Bronson Kaufusi, 83.3

4. LT Yosh Nijman, 76.4

5. LG Jon Runyan, 70.8

Top 5 Defense:

1. LB Isaiah McDuffie, 79.5

2. LB De’Jon Harris, 78.0

3. LB Ray Wilborn, 75.0

4. DL Willington Previlon, 72.9

5. S Innis Gaines, 72.3

Bottom 5 Offense:

1. OL Cole Van Lanen, 50.0

2. TE Jace Sternberger, 47.2

3. RB A.J. Dillon, 43.6

4. QB Jordan Love, 43.5

5. TE Josiah Deguara, 38.1

Bottom 5 Defense:

1. OLB Tipa Galeai, 58.6

2. S Christian Uphoff, 58.5

3. OLB Chauncey Rivers, 53.7

4. CB Isaac Yiadom, 39.7

5. CB Rojesterman Farris, 33.7

As always, follow the link for grading ccontext

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/packers-pff-grades-best-worst-players-in-preseason-finale-vs-bills/

smuggler
08-29-2021, 07:53 PM
Bottom-5 defense doesn't look too bad, aside from Yiadom and Farris.