PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Practice Squad

Guiness
09-01-2021, 02:14 PM
Matt Schneidman posted the practice squad.

https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1433130188574011393?s=20

TE Bronson Kaufusi
RB Patrick Taylor
WR Chris Blair
ILB Ray Wilborn
DL Willington Previlon
QB Kurt Benkert
OL Colt Van Lanen
WR Juwann Winfree
CB Kabion Ento
WR EQ St. Brown
K JJ Molson
OL Jacob Capra
OLB Tipa Galeai
OL Ben Braden
S Innis Gaines
DL Abdullah Anderson

Notable absence is Begelton. They gave him a shot but at 28 they probably figured he didn't make it and he's not going to get any better.

Guiness
09-01-2021, 02:16 PM
They're also bringing in WR Brennan Eagles, a UDFA the Cowboys cut.

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2021, 02:29 PM
They're also bringing in WR Brennan Eagles, a UDFA the Cowboys cut.

Tryout or signed? If signed, then they are liking putting somebody on IR and calling up one of the PS players.

Spaulding
09-01-2021, 03:19 PM
Doesn't look like the Packers lost any of their final decisions on cuts for the 53. Not sure that's a good thing or not as it suggests the roster might not be as deep as we think.

texaspackerbacker
09-01-2021, 04:07 PM
I'm generally satisfied. The only two I had hoped for were Begelton and Dexter Williams. I guess either they figured both of those had plenty of chances or the players decided they had a better shot elsewhere.

Sparkey
09-01-2021, 04:12 PM
Doesn't look like the Packers lost any of their final decisions on cuts for the 53. Not sure that's a good thing or not as it suggests the roster might not be as deep as we think.

I think it suggests that the limited looks with a shorter preseason means teams are more comfortable with their own.

Upnorth
09-01-2021, 04:43 PM
This is the first time I have looked at a PS roster and thought there were some decent players on it. Perhaps I'm more dialed into the offseason thanks to covid and the draft day bombshell, or we are deeper than we have a right to be. Spaulding, I am pretending your comment doesnt exist.

RashanGary
09-01-2021, 05:35 PM
I think it suggests that the limited looks with a shorter preseason means teams are more comfortable with their own.

I think teams like the comfort of the guys they have trained up more than someone else’s cut.

Teamcheez1
09-01-2021, 08:44 PM
I don’t know why everyone is so surprised that Braden was cut and then easily resigned to the practice squad. He showed some progress during preseason against back-ups, however we’re talking about a player that has been in the league for 4 years and has played a total of 4 offensive snaps during the regular season. He could be poached later in the season if a team had major injuries, but I don’t know if he ever rises to the level of a consistent back-up.

Spaulding
09-02-2021, 08:32 AM
This is the first time I have looked at a PS roster and thought there were some decent players on it. Perhaps I'm more dialed into the offseason thanks to covid and the draft day bombshell, or we are deeper than we have a right to be. Spaulding, I am pretending your comment doesnt exist.

Me too as I'm usually optimistic. It just seems that in past years our cuts would have a few picked up by other teams and this year it didn't happen. Either that or my memory just sucks :)

Guiness
09-02-2021, 09:58 AM
I don’t know why everyone is so surprised that Braden was cut and then easily resigned to the practice squad. He showed some progress during preseason against back-ups, however we’re talking about a player that has been in the league for 4 years and has played a total of 4 offensive snaps during the regular season. He could be poached later in the season if a team had major injuries, but I don’t know if he ever rises to the level of a consistent back-up.

Is anyone really surprised he made it through? You're quite right, a guy who's on his 5th season without getting a start isn't even JAG.
I'd be more surprised no one grabbed Colt Van Lanen, draft picks who get cut out of campe, even Cory Rodgers got picked up once upon a time!

RashanGary
09-02-2021, 11:29 AM
Is anyone really surprised he made it through? You're quite right, a guy who's on his 5th season without getting a start isn't even JAG.
I'd be more surprised no one grabbed Colt Van Lanen, draft picks who get cut out of campe, even Cory Rodgers got picked up once upon a time!

I forgot he existed. Was he the body catching punt returner that TT thought would upgrade special teams?

Fritz
09-02-2021, 11:41 AM
He was, Rashan. Yes. Though I thought he was a Ron Wolf pick.

Most notable there was that the team saw he wasn't going to work out and cut him right away. Normally teams don't cut a fourth round guy right away, but the Packers did.

Interesting that Dexter Williams is not on the practice squad, whether that's his decision or the team was tired of waiting. I thought they'd signed Begelton to the practice squad, but it looks like no.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-02-2021, 01:44 PM
Cory Rodgers was a gun-loving ruffian. Got in to a gun brawl outside a bar shortly after he was drafted, which was primarily the reason he was let go (wasn’t even offered a PS spot).

Shows the Polar Bear’s hypocrisy. Quarless and Guion were also gun-loving ruffians, and the Polar Bear didn’t immediately terminate them.

MadScientist
09-02-2021, 03:51 PM
Since Rodgers praised Kaufusi, will he be happy enough with him on the PS and not on the roster? Not sure how he could have cracked the 53, with the other 4 in front of him.

RashanGary
09-02-2021, 05:27 PM
Cory Rodgers was a gun-loving ruffian. Got in to a gun brawl outside a bar shortly after he was drafted, which was primarily the reason he was let go (wasn’t even offered a PS spot).

Shows the Polar Bear’s hypocrisy. Quarless and Guion were also gun-loving ruffians, and the Polar Bear didn’t immediately terminate them.

I don’t remember the gun charges at all, but sure enough, that was his demise

Guiness
09-02-2021, 10:01 PM

Guion - he's the one that got pulled over with a bag of $200K, a bag of week and a 9mm pistol on the passenger seat of his pickup!

texaspackerbacker
09-02-2021, 11:10 PM
A long snapper was signed to the PS - Wellington Previlon cut.

run pMc
09-05-2021, 12:04 PM
He was, Rashan. Yes. Though I thought he was a Ron Wolf pick.

Most notable there was that the team saw he wasn't going to work out and cut him right away. Normally teams don't cut a fourth round guy right away, but the Packers did.

Interesting that Dexter Williams is not on the practice squad, whether that's his decision or the team was tired of waiting. I thought they'd signed Begelton to the practice squad, but it looks like no.

I read somewhere Dexter signed with the Giants PS? Probably wants a fresh start, can't say I blame him. Loved the pick, really thought he'd be a great scheme fit ... but from what I heard/saw he sucks at pass pro and ST.

run pMc
09-05-2021, 12:07 PM
Begelton was probably offered a spot but passed. Dude is pushing 30 and put out some decent tape this preseason; I'd be surprised if he didn't find a job somewhere.
I like the JJ Molson signing -- feels like a sneaky good move. I heard he was booming 60 yd FGs in camp and they probably like him as Crosby's heir apparent. I know, it's a kicker, but if you don't have a good one you're screwed.

texaspackerbacker
09-05-2021, 12:33 PM
With a 16 man PS, it's an obvious good move to keep a quality kicker as insurance for your 37 or more year old kicker. I said before the cut down that maybe they PS Molson, and I'm glad they did.

As for Begelton, don't they pay fairly decent in Canada? Way more than PS, probably more than the NFL minimum for somebody who did as good as he did. He gave it a shot in the big time. I think he will go back up north and get more money and prestige than he could make here.

Freak Out
09-05-2021, 12:35 PM
Since Rodgers praised Kaufusi, will he be happy enough with him on the PS and not on the roster? Not sure how he could have cracked the 53, with the other 4 in front of him.

This.

NewsBruin
09-09-2021, 01:27 PM
The 2021 PS allows teams to call up a pair for gameday, so they can use one of those spots as Rodgers ' Valentine.