PDA

View Full Version : How does Favre fit in Thompson's plan?

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2006, 08:51 AM
If you look at all of Thompson's roster moves, they are done for the future. The recent cutting of Leach was a dramatic example. Leach is certainly more valuable this year than half a dozen players on the roster, but has no long-term role.

Thompson did patch with two vets in secondary, but the deals are relatively front-loaded.

The ONLY exception I see in his plan is Brett Favre. I know this is a tired subject, but the aging warrior looks increasingly miscast on this team. Following Thompson's strategy, the time was ripe to trade Favre last spring. I have to conclude that the reason Thompson didn't make the move is that he didn't want to become the villian.

I know, where's that kicking-dead-horse graphic.

MJZiggy
09-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Favre provides the desperately needed veteran leadership and keeps the team from going 0-16 thereby turning AR into another Joey Harrington.

beakerman
09-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Packers Can't trade their only money making, markatable player.... speaking of Green Bay becoming the Siberia of the nfl, if they jettison Favre like Tennesse did with Mcnair... it deffinately would not be a good PR move, there are enough people bothered with the trading of Gado, let alone Favre.

Thompson= :crazy:

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2006, 08:59 AM
I think you're right, Ziggy. That's the thinking. But why not let go of the security blanket and really rebuild in earnest? It could very well be a 2-14 team with Rodgers, 4-12 team with Favre. Big whup. Plus Favre could bring a 3rd round draft pick, at least.

"Rodgers is not ready." Maybe. He wouldn't be the first guy to get thrown to the wolves in his second year. Aikman seems to have survived a trial by fire for a couple seasons.

I'm not suggesting that the team could or would trade Favre during the season! Just saying that Favre is really the sole exception to Thompson's other moves.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2006, 09:03 AM
BTW, you know the ONLY reason Favre came back is because he loves to play football. He would be better off on a playoff caliber team, he hasn't looked happy the last year.

pbmax
09-14-2006, 09:03 AM
Trading Favre would not get past Harlan and Jones. That would have a huge impact on the bottom line and PR. As a business move, it would raise plenty of objections.

Its would be such a big thing that I wouldn't be surpirsed if it wasn't discussed, or if his future was a conversation topic, trading him was dismissed.

Harlan can say all he wants that the GM has final authority, but both Wolf and T2 have told stories of going to Harlan/Jones first before making the move.

Not to say it wouldn't be in our best interest, but I am not surprised it hasn't happened and I don't expect it will.

pbmax
09-14-2006, 09:07 AM
BTW, you know the ONLY reason Favre came back is because he loves to play football. He would be better off on a playoff caliber team, he hasn't looked happy the last year.
Harlan, I think "loves football' is an easy description of why he is back.

He clearly wants to keep chasing the records as well.

MJZiggy
09-14-2006, 09:07 AM
That's a very good point, pbmax. I just read yesterday that before bringing in KR, TT went to Bob Harlan about it. There's no way trading Favre gets past them and if TT somehow pulled it off, he wouln't survive the trip home from the office.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2006, 09:10 AM
if TT somehow pulled it off, he wouln't survive the trip home from the office.

I think the FBI might take some interest in this post, Bloody Mary. "I'm going to prove my love for Brett."

MJZiggy
09-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Don't look at me. I don't live there. By the time I got my frequent flyer ticket, and made the trip out there, TT'd have retired from old age.

Tony Oday
09-14-2006, 10:29 AM
:beat:

had too :)

rbaloha1
09-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Recently returned from the Bear game and interacted with numerous fans from throughout the green bay and the midwest.

Its time to see if AR is the real deal. AR needs to play. BF can still play but needs to be with a superbowl contender. Look at Mcnair. Trade BF for a 1st round pic.

Bring in a veteran qb. Let AF play. If AF fails, this year draft has qbs like: Brady Quinn, Drew Stanton, Brian Brohm, etc.

BF has served the Packers faithfully. The Packers need to reward BF by placing him with a superbowl contender.

Many other great ex packer player and coaches did not finish their careers in green bay: jim taylor, lombardi, forrest gregg, etc.

PACKERS MAKE THIS A WIN - WIN SITUATION

:D

MJZiggy
09-14-2006, 10:41 AM
First off, NOBODY in their right mind will trade a 1st round pick for a guy that MIGHT or might not decide to hang around next year. Secondly, have any of you guys talked to Brett to find out what HE wants? He deserves to get what he wants. He's made no indication that he wants to go anywhere else, only that if we kicked him out the door he might not retire. I believe the way he put it is "Green Bay is home." Let the man stay home if he wants. Just because you'd want him on a contender doesn't mean that's what he wants.

Rastak
09-14-2006, 10:45 AM
First off, NOBODY in their right mind will trade a 1st round pick for a guy that MIGHT or might not decide to hang around next year. Secondly, have any of you guys talked to Brett to find out what HE wants? He deserves to get what he wants. He's made no indication that he wants to go anywhere else, only that if we kicked him out the door he might not retire. I believe the way he put it is "Green Bay is home." Let the man stay home if he wants. Just because you'd want him on a contender doesn't mean that's what he wants.

Your first point is DEAD ON. As your second, he has now stated that if GB didn't want him and he wanted to play he'd change teams. I just don't think he'd commit to a specific number of years so a team would be foolish to give up a high draft choice.

rbaloha1
09-14-2006, 10:55 AM
BF stated on this show with Bob Costas if the Packers wanted to go in a different direction (ie AF) and felt he could still play, then BF would consider playing for a super bowl contender.

Packer fans -- time to remove the emotions and face reality (Joe Montana, granted Steve Young was in the wings was traded). Trade BF for a number one or a combo of high/conditional picks and players.

This scenario is better than BF retiring, changing his mind and trying to play for another team. Lets get value for BF before its too late!

:shock:

Fosco33
09-14-2006, 10:58 AM
My take on Favre's role is just an opinion - something to chew on...

He's one of the top 3 QBs alltime and a NFL favorite around the country - he's god in WI.

You have a young QB behind him that has shown improvement in one year of seasoning w/ coaches/Brett.

While Brett didn't want to be the onfield coach or mentor last year, he still ended up being that guy. He hasn't really addressed this topic this year except saying that he still can play. Having Rodgers groom is fine for this team and in a sense the rebuilding years.

If Brett wants to return next year, then the topic of trading him becomes more relevant. At some point we need Rodgers to grow up quickly - we've seen basic improvement but he does need to take the reigns by the end of next year.

MJZiggy
09-14-2006, 11:01 AM
if, if, if. BF said it won't happen. M3 said it won't happen. TT said it won't happen. why are we thinking it's gonna happen. It's not gonna happen. What team is going to trade anything of value for a guy that's been talking retirement for the last 3 years? He keeps saying IF he can play... maybe by next year, his feet get worse and he decides he doesn't want to put his body through it anymore. Great, you've traded a pick in the draft for a retirement statistic. It's NOT gonna happen.

rbaloha1
09-14-2006, 11:06 AM
It could happen.

Lets examine the merits of trading BF since every move the packers make is speculation.

Remove emotion and lets talk about what is best for the ENTIRE PACKER ORGANIZATION NOT JUST BF.

:D

swede
09-14-2006, 11:10 AM
I think Brett Favre is a really cool human being. He is exceptionally talented, possesses courage and a charming youthful enthusiasm that only now seems to be waning, and yet he is decidedly human in his flaws and shortcomings.

Given the state of the team I'd be pleased to let him play for another contending team if that is what he wanted to do.

Green Bay will need to move past Favre someday, and probably someday soon. It really wouldn't bother me if Favre decided to finish with another team or not. His legacy is with us. Even another Super Bowl ring with Carolina or somebody would be a mere footnote to the things he's accomplished in Green Bay. As Zig says, what does Brett want to do?

In my pipe dream he still stays around and leads the team to a championship in 2008, but it's taking a lot more green and gold bud in the bong to catch that vision.

MJZiggy
09-14-2006, 11:11 AM
This isn't even about emotion. What idiot is gonna give up something significant to get a guy on the brink of retirement knowing that he will only be there for maybe a year? It took him 3 months to figure out he wanted to play at all this year. Why do you think that a guy who feels like he's walking on glass every morning and needs surgery is gonna commit to that much time?

prsnfoto
09-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Trading Favre would not get past Harlan and Jones. That would have a huge impact on the bottom line and PR. As a business move, it would raise plenty of objections.

Its would be such a big thing that I wouldn't be surpirsed if it wasn't discussed, or if his future was a conversation topic, trading him was dismissed.

Harlan can say all he wants that the GM has final authority, but both Wolf and T2 have told stories of going to Harlan/Jones first before making the move.

Not to say it wouldn't be in our best interest, but I am not surprised it hasn't happened and I don't expect it will.

I agree max but if this team starts out 0-6 which will happen if they lose this week I think they move Brett. I don't think TT wanted him to begin with but it would've been a PR disaster, at that point they could spin it to Favre's advantage"Looking at the direction of this team we think it is in Brett's and our best interest to let him seek a championship elsewhere" I also think if he commits to 1-2 more seasons we could get a number 1 pick for him. Two teams I am watching that could be 3-3 with bad QB play by week 7 are dallas and TB I personally don't want Brett in a cowboy uni but HE deserves this opportunity this team and its management sucks and let him down.

prsnfoto
09-14-2006, 11:39 AM
This isn't even about emotion. What idiot is gonna give up something significant to get a guy on the brink of retirement knowing that he will only be there for maybe a year? It took him 3 months to figure out he wanted to play at all this year. Why do you think that a guy who feels like he's walking on glass every morning and needs surgery is gonna commit to that much time?

It took him 3 months because he knew we were as bad as they played Sunday. Ziggy I love your posts 99% of the time but you are feeling the same emotions I was 4 months ago I have come to realize I was selfish this man deserves better, you ask what does Brett want? I bet my pinky finger he would go to a contender. As far as the #1 pick goes he easily could justify one each team is different some have caps that explode in 2 years, what if Peyton Manning suffered a 18 month rehab injury you don't think they would give up a #1 to win a superbowl knowing in 2 years they are going to suck for five never say never. Favre is worth a #1 for 2 years as much as Branch is for 5.

mngolf19
09-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Zig is right about no one trading a #1 for Favre. In addition to his potential to retire, his cap number is too big for most teams (indy) and his skills are diminishing, plus only a team that is on the cusp and just needs a QB would be interested. So, more likely a 3-4 pick if that.

GBRulz
09-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but KC gave up it's 1st round pick to bring Montana over, didn't they?

Seattle just traded their first pick for Deion Branch. Deion Branch!
GB gave up it's first round pick to Atlanta for Favre.

Stranger things have happened. If a team needs a QB to top off putting together a winning team, they'll do it.

Fritz
09-14-2006, 11:53 AM
I don't know if you can ever say "never." If a team wanted to trade its entire draft for Favre, , ala Herschel Walker or Ricky Williams, it'd be tough to say no.

Having said that, no one's going to do that as Mike Ditka's out of the league, so TT doesn't have to make that kind of tough decision.

Keep Favre.

mngolf19
09-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but KC gave up it's 1st round pick to bring Montana over, didn't they?

Seattle just traded their first pick for Deion Branch. Deion Branch!
GB gave up it's first round pick to Atlanta for Favre.

Stranger things have happened. If a team needs a QB to top off putting together a winning team, they'll do it.

Your right Michele, but you can't compare players and trades. They are done for different reasons and under different circumstances. GB traded a 1 for Favre because his potential and low cap number. Same with Branch, low cap number and piece they needed to get over the top along with potential. Favre is on the downside, high cap number, few teams in the bidding.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Favre has zero trade value in the middle of this or any season. It takes at least a month to get timing down between QB and rest of offense.

The time to trade him was last spring, if it was going to be done.

I think Favre would have warmed-up to a trade if one was offered, I'm not suggesting it should have been done without getting a buy-in from him.

ahaha
09-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Emotion is part of being a football fan. The thought of Brett Favre breaking Marino's records on another team makes me want to puke! I'm a selfish packer fan. I'd rather have Favre suck on a losing Packer team, than have him win another SB with some other team. What if that happened, and when Favre gets inducted into the HOF, you see lots of fans from that team wearing their Brett Favre jerseys. My intestines are churning from the thought. The Packers, and their fans, have given so much to Brett Favre. They've made him very wealthy, gave him the opportunity to achieve football greatness, and made him an icon. Unless we kick him to the curb, he should finish his career here. Hopefully, if things go terribly wrong this season, he retires with Grace. And, Aaron Rodgers will get his chance to play this year if we struggle mightily. If we traded Brett away, what veteren would we sign to back-up Rodgers? Jeff George? That is Hair-Brained!

Fritz
09-14-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm just saying if a team offered its entire 2007 draft to TT for Brett Favre, how could you say no?

But that won't happen, so Favre gets to stay a Packer.

ahaha
09-14-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm just saying if a team offered its entire 2007 draft to TT for Brett Favre, how could you say no?

But that won't happen, so Favre gets to stay a Packer.

It would take something this ridiculous for Favre to be traded now. People have to realize, Favre's value to the Packers and their fans is way more than what his trade value would be to some other team.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2006, 12:15 PM
But what is the value to the team? That's the point. He makes the team a bit more competitive, but keep Rodgers off the field.

Well, the other point is perhaps he would be happier playing for a winning team. I don't know that for sure, but judging by Favre's lack of enthusiasm the past 12 months, it's not a bad guess.

MJZiggy
09-14-2006, 12:19 PM
There is even more to this than just football. It is actually in BF's best interest to finish his career here. Think of it this way. How many of you rabidly followed Reggie White when he played for the Panthers, the same way you followed him when he played here. His widow has a charity set up. Does she go to NC to promote it? Probably not. Does she go to Philly, maybe. She comes to Wis. and the charity makes money here. Brett also has a charity. When Katrina hit, it wasn't the fans from Dallas pouring money into the coffers. I thought I saw an article that said that so many people were donating supplies that they couldn't fit them all on the plane? He is an icon here. The press follows his every move because they know that the Packer faithful will tune in. If he leaves us now, we are interested in what he does, yeah, but the new fans are not likely to adopt him in the same way that we have and he loses the support of all the people who think it was a traitorous move to have allowed it to happen. Granted, that's not all of us, but with as much as we all loved Reggie, how many of you donated to his ministry after he left? Him moving would have quite an impact on the Fourward Foundation, just like his retirement will. Either way, it's not going to happen so I don't know why we're bothering to have this discussion. As M3 put it, "if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet against him retiring here."

ahaha
09-14-2006, 12:27 PM
But what is the value to the team? That's the point. He makes the team a bit more competitive, but keep Rodgers off the field.

Well, the other point is perhaps he would be happier playing for a winning team. I don't know that for sure, but judging by Favre's lack of enthusiasm the past 12 months, it's not a bad guess.

His value is his great legacy as a Packer. If he was traded and had success elsewhere that Packer legacy would be tainted.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Favre's legacy as a Packer will never be tainted. If Joe Montana had won a Super Bowl with the Chiefs, he would be no less of a revered 49er when he retired.

Favre's legacy SUFFERS as he finishes his career tossing interceptions in frustrating, futile campaigns. Then the off=season of pouting, "I'm not coming back unless the team makes some effort to be a winner." In case you haven't noticed, most of the analysts and fans around the country talk about Favre as a has-been.

If Favre hitched-on with Tampa Bay, say, and led them deep in the playoffs, his national reputation and exposure would only grow.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Either way, it's not going to happen so I don't know why we're bothering to have this discussion. As M3 put it, "if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet against him retiring here."

I agree with you, Favre is going to retire as a Packer. I was suggesting it would have been in both parties interest to move him last spring. I also suggested it then, it's not just hindsight.

ahaha
09-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Favre's legacy as a Packer will never be tainted. If Joe Montana had won a Super Bowl with the Chiefs, he would be no less of a revered 49er when he retired.

Favre's legacy SUFFERS as he finishes his career tossing interceptions in frustrating, futile campaigns. Then the off=season of pouting, "I'm not coming back unless the team makes some effort to be a winner." In case you haven't noticed, most of the analysts and fans around the country talk about Favre as a has-been.

If Favre hitched-on with Tampa Bay, say, and led them deep in the playoffs, his national reputation and exposure would only grow.

I totally disagree. His Packer legacy would be tainted from him having success with another team. Don't you think Eagles fans feel a pang of regret every time they think of Reggie White winning a Super Bowl with the Packers?

Favre's struggles right now are painful to watch, but they won't have any bearing on his legacy. Almost every great player that has ever played this game has played well in to decline. That great love for the game and competitive desire is usually what made them so great.

wist43
09-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Favre doesn't fit into TT's plans...

TT knows he can't dump Favre b/c there would be a revolt... but, you have to know that TT can't wait to get rid of Favre.

pbmax
09-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Montana was three years removed from winning a Super Bowl. Playoffs thenext year. He was injured the next season and backed up Young in his last year. Favre is more removed from his glory days.

wist43
09-14-2006, 02:07 PM
The Packers gave up 86 1st round draft picks for John Hadl... there's always some idiot GM out there is willing to do something stupid.

Not that acquiring Favre would be stupid for another team... I still think he has a canon for an arm, and can still play at a high level - Favre's problem is the complete lack of talent around him.

pbmax
09-14-2006, 02:09 PM

Harlan, I don't think his legacy suffers from struggling on a bad team.

Columnists love to mention Joe DiMaggio, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Namath, Simpson and Montana and horrible examples of athletes refusing to leave with grace and dignity intact.

Elway was one of the few who did it as the media would have it, and he was LUCKY to hit the right coach, running game and RB at the tail end of his career.

Dopes in the press will write these articles because its a cut and paste no-think job from previous articles (I see one from Skip Bayless, Gordon Forbes and Andy Baggot). People will remember the good times.

Merlin
09-14-2006, 02:14 PM
IMO, Favre is not in TT's plans. Rodgers is, however it does make you wonder why the coaching staff was looking at QB's when they came on board. I know that they weren't impressed with Rodgers in the mini-camps. So far, I haven't been impressed at all with him. He is better then last year but that isn't saying very much.

The Shadow
09-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Favre, in return for chasing the records he wants so badly, must assume the role of caretaker while the Packers transition.
I would be neither surprised nor greatly disappointed if he was dealt after this season to a team like Dallas.
Next year, instead of the rookie hysteria, we will have young players now with experience , which can have a major positive effect.
I am looking forward to seeing what Rodgers can do at the helm after having had time to mature in the system.
I think that next year we :
Draft #1 (or sign as our top priority free agent) : an elite running back
Draft #1 (or sign as our top priority free agent) : an elite pass rusher
#2 : d. back
#3 : offensive lineman
#4 : receiver
#5 : fullback

MJZiggy
09-14-2006, 04:26 PM
NOT DALLAS!!!

I haven't forgiven them yet.

No Mo Moss
09-14-2006, 04:43 PM
The problem with what all of you are saying is you don't know what this team is yet. To assume what this team will or won't be in terms of success at this point is ridiculous. We have played one game and no one in the entire world knows what kind of team this is. I would say it is wild and premature speculation at this point.

No Mo Moss
09-14-2006, 04:48 PM
What if the D gels and lives up to its potential? What is the O-line comes together? What if the Packers find themselves way closer to a championship level at the end of the year then anyone could imagine? What if with a nice Free Agent pick-up the Packers are a contender next year? You'd sure as hell hope you have Favre on that team, because Rodgers and Championship don't belong in the same sentence. I'm so sick of this "lets see what we got in him" shit. So what if he plays and sucks? Well that sure moved us along. I'm not saying he is destined to be bad, but I saw nothing in him this preseason against vanilla defenses to think that:

A. he is anywhere near ready to start

B. starting him now would do anything but shatter his confidence and ruin him as a player.

Kiwon
09-14-2006, 06:13 PM
TT has the Packers in full rebuilding mode all without using the word. Obviously Farve is the Packers' past and not the future.

As a new GM, TT would probably rather have Rodgers in there, but would have been be slitting his own throat PR-wise if he had actually pushed Farve out during in the off-season. He would have forever earned himself the moniker as the GM that ran off a Hall of Fame quarterback and a true football hero.

TT is a career football guy and he will work elsewhere in the future. He has to think about his reputation. In the grand scheme of things, Brett Farve will be remembered forever while TT will become just another hard-to-remember front office guy.

No Mo Moss
09-14-2006, 06:35 PM
OK, full rebuilding mode, so what. Favre is the best chance to win. Let Rodgers ride the pine. He had some major opportunities in the preseason to showcase what he has and he didn't. If this team steadily improves throughout the season I'm not so sure Favre wouldn't give it another go next year. I'm sure we can all wait just a little longer for 30 years of medicrity.

You don't bench a HOF QB so we can watch Rodgers suck.

This is madness.

Cobra Kai
09-15-2006, 04:37 PM
This just occurred to me... Could the trading of Gado, a beloved fan favorite, be a litmus test for trading the most beloved fan favorite in GB history??? Favre.

TT uses the Gado trade to gage the fan reaction to trading a GB folk hero, granted one that was created basically overnight and not a stellar career. But he then uses that reaction to decide, can I really unload a HOF QB without being lynched???

I don't believe this is the case and I probably gave TT haters more fuel to their fire but its an interesting thought...

bbbffl66
09-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Trading Brett would also send a message to the rest of the league that GB is not a place where loyalty is rewarded. Welcome back to the Siberia of the NFL. Hey, I think I hear Come On Eileen on the radio. Oh my God it's 1984 again!!!