PDA

View Full Version : The Spin Room

RIPackerFan
09-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Well, I have a few days to dwell on the game, which looking at the final outcome, did not look good at all. However, I did find a few other nuggets of optimism for the upcoming game, when I looked at the game.

1) First game of the season, one would expect some jitters and some jelling (with all the new starters) to take place. We saw that happen. However, we did see an improvement after the first quarter. Hopefully this trend will continue.
Specifics:
After the first quarter, the defense only allowed 162 yards for the remaining 3 quarters. That averages 54 yards/quarter, which if happened in all 4 quarters, 216 yards for the entire game. Not a bad defensive showing if they could start that way in the first quarter. This also may even shows that the coaches were making adjustments.

2) The coaches and some of us were speaking about how we want to make 3rd downs maneageble. If so, we should be able to convert more. When you look at our first three possessions, that is exactly what we did. However we did not convert.
Specifics:
Our first three drives had drives stalled when there was a:
• 3 and 1
• 3 and 3
• 3 and inches
Give me those kinds of 3rd downs, and while on this game we didn’t hit on them, I would expect us to hit on them in the future. It’s certainly better than a 3 and 8 or something like that.

Others:
3) Ahman Green looked good - and had a solid day.
4) Favre played with restraint until the game was out of reach.

Hopefully we can expect the gelling and communication to continue. If we get a defense that starts well, and a minor improvement in cohesion (which you should expect after the first game), this game would have been more competitive.

Luckily we don’t play the Bears this week, but the Saints (whose defense is not as strong). Their offense is stronger than the Bears, but hopefully we will get a defensive performance like the last three quarters, as opposed to the first.

No Mo Moss
09-14-2006, 09:34 AM
I love how in the media we're the worst team in the league. Why, we lost to a playoff team with an exceptional defense. Yet the Saints are middle of the pack because they beat a CLE team with a young QB. Well atleast we'll be flying nder the radar, I thinks it bs though.

mmmdk
09-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Packers do fly under the radar but at the same time; this Packer team is a work in progress. It could be awhile before we hit the W-column. Just an opinion. Packers will get better late in the season.

MJZiggy
09-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Right now, no matter how dissappointing a loss may be, I just want to see improvement. I want to see the offense get something done, maybe convert a couple of those 3rd downs and put some points up. I want the defense to tighten up in pass coverage. sheesh. I want to see our brand new special teamers do something and have the coverage team not suck quite so bad. Ok, forget it. I'll take a sloppy win right now over tons of improvement without a doubt.

Fosco33
09-14-2006, 10:52 AM
After the first quarter, the defense only allowed 162 yards for the remaining 3 quarters. That averages 54 yards/quarter, which if happened in all 4 quarters, 216 yards for the entire game. Not a bad defensive showing if they could start that way in the first quarter. This also may even shows that the coaches were making adjustments.

RIPF- I agree w/ some of your points but this one is a bit spurious. You see, the Bears didn't need to score points in the 4th quarter - they were conservative and running out the clock. There was like one stop (punt) for quite awhile after the first quarter - not good.

On the otherhand, I'd point out that we did stall drives that started far into our side of the field - only allowing field goals on a few possessions in the red zone. This is something that will help win games in the future - on one possession, Barnett took advantage of a bad decision by Grossman and picked off the ball.

The defense needs to be quick, smart, advantageous yet aggressive. We need to stop more drives and stop looking too much into stats.

Fritz
09-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Remember too the sucky field position that the defense was given all day. If the special teams coverage improves, and the offense can nudge the ball a little further, this could be an interesting game.

I do want to see improvement. If they come out of this game looking more cohesive on the offensive line, stronger on the pass rush, and tighter on special teams coverage, and if the turnovers stay low, it'll be a good sign.

Fosco33
09-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Remember too the sucky field position that the defense was given all day. If the special teams coverage improves, and the offense can nudge the ball a little further, this could be an interesting game.

I do want to see improvement. If they come out of this game looking more cohesive on the offensive line, stronger on the pass rush, and tighter on special teams coverage, and if the turnovers stay low, it'll be a good sign.

That's a lot of 'if's'... but I do agree and hope for the same.....

wist43
09-14-2006, 02:31 PM
I think most of us agree that the Packers aren't a very good team - right now.

The hope is that by the end of the year, the Packers can at least be playing like a .500 team, and look to next year with some optimism.

That said, the Saints aren't a very good team either... and given that there were some positives to take out of the Chicago game, I'd say there's at least a chance that the Packers will be in this game, if not have a chance to win it outright.

They are underdogs, however.

FritzDontBlitz
09-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Well, I have a few days to dwell on the game, which looking at the final outcome, did not look good at all. However, I did find a few other nuggets of optimism for the upcoming game, when I looked at the game.

1) First game of the season, one would expect some jitters and some jelling (with all the new starters) to take place. We saw that happen. However, we did see an improvement after the first quarter. Hopefully this trend will continue.
Specifics:

2) The coaches and some of us were speaking about how we want to make 3rd downs maneageble. If so, we should be able to convert more. When you look at our first three possessions, that is exactly what we did. However we did not convert.
Specifics:
Our first three drives had drives stalled when there was a:
• 3 and 1
• 3 and 3
• 3 and inches
Give me those kinds of 3rd downs, and while on this game we didn’t hit on them, I would expect us to hit on them in the future. It’s certainly better than a 3 and 8 or something like that.

Others:
3) Ahman Green looked good - and had a solid day.
4) Favre played with restraint until the game was out of reach.

Hopefully we can expect the gelling and communication to continue. If we get a defense that starts well, and a minor improvement in cohesion (which you should expect after the first game), this game would have been more competitive.

Luckily we don’t play the Bears this week, but the Saints (whose defense is not as strong). Their offense is stronger than the Bears, but hopefully we will get a defensive performance like the last three quarters, as opposed to the first.

i wonder how many of those third downs would have been converted if they would have let favre throw to the pro bowl te.