PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers-49ers Discussion Thread

Joemailman
09-22-2021, 02:19 PM
Last meeting: Last year Packers beat injury-depleted 49ers team 31-17.

49ers are 2-0, having beaten Lions 41-33 and Eagles 17-11.

49ers have #18 offense overall. 15th in passing, 9th in rushing.

49ers have the #19 overall defense, 14th against pass, 27th against rush.

This is a good, well-coached team, but not the juggernaut it was 2 years ago.

Fritz
09-22-2021, 02:44 PM
Last meeting: Last year Packers beat injury-depleted 49ers team 31-17.

49ers are 2-0, having beaten Lions 41-33 and Eagles 17-11.

49ers have #18 offense overall. 15th in passing, 9th in rushing.

49ers have the #19 overall defense, 14th against pass, 27th against rush.

This is a good, well-coached team, but not the juggernaut it was 2 years ago.

That Packer defensive line may make us feel like we're watching that NFC Championship game from two years ago all over again.

smuggler
09-22-2021, 03:10 PM
They really need Slaton to play well quickly. Lowry and Lancaster are JAGs and that's being generous.

Guiness
09-22-2021, 03:16 PM
That Packer defensive line may make us feel like we're watching that NFC Championship game from two years ago all over again.

My fear for this game as well. I don't know that they were a juggernaut, they were a one dimensional team on offense and the Pack couldn't stop that. A defense that generated 2 INT and 3 fumbles played a big part of course.
Mostert is injured, so there's that. He had 2 rushes for 20 yards before he got hurt, I shudder to think what he does to the Pack's defense the way it played the first two weeks!

Ok, ok, I'll lay off the chicken little routine. Maybe.

George Cumby
09-22-2021, 03:18 PM

You're just full of good cheer, aren't you? :-P

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2021, 03:26 PM
They really need Slaton to play well quickly. Lowry and Lancaster are JAGs and that's being generous.

And I'd like to see Heflin in there. He may be a better version of Lancaster. He provided some pass rush (surprisingly) in the preseason.

Fritz
09-22-2021, 03:26 PM
You're just full of good cheer, aren't you? :-P

I was at Lambeau for the Lions game. I think seeing that Packer defense live on Monday night made it all the more horrifying.

texaspackerbacker
09-22-2021, 04:25 PM
Heflin seemed way better than Lancaster in the preseason, but maybe it was against low level competition. I don't know if Keke has looked bad - mostly he just hasn't gotten in the game as much. Dump Lowery and Lancaster, and play Slaton and Keke with Heflin in the rotation too.

If we can't stop the run against the Niners with all the RB injuries they've had, something is really wrong.

CaptainKickass
09-22-2021, 07:34 PM
This is a good, well-coached team

1. Right now I figure best case scenario is it turns into a shootout and Packers win by a score.

2. The Würst Case Scenario™ is another sad ass stomping like the 'aints gave

https://images3.memedroid.com/images/UPLOADED118/566bba8b89ce4.jpeg

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2021, 08:57 PM
Heflin seemed way better than Lancaster in the preseason, but maybe it was against low level competition. I don't know if Keke has looked bad - mostly he just hasn't gotten in the game as much. Dump Lowery and Lancaster, and play Slaton and Keke with Heflin in the rotation too.

If we can't stop the run against the Niners with all the RB injuries they've had, something is really wrong.

Keke has played a lot, and he’s been bad. I know he went to school in Texas, but c’mon man. He was the lowest rated defender by PFF in BOTH games.

Joemailman
09-22-2021, 10:21 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_7J4z3VkAQ0jg1?format=png&name=900x900

call_me_ishmael
09-22-2021, 11:30 PM
It is really discouraging with Keke. Didn't folks thing he was on the verge of a break out? I must say I am underwhelmed and had high hopes for Keke and Hamburgler Gary or whatever Bretsky calls him lol!

Upnorth
09-23-2021, 07:12 AM
It will be a real watershed game. Miners struggled a lot more with the lions than we dud but week 1 is weird.
I agree that it feels like it comes down to the d line.

Joemailman
09-23-2021, 07:21 AM
Jenkins status uncertain for Sunday. Hurt ankle against Lions but played through it. Might explain his reduced effectiveness in that game.

Fritz
09-23-2021, 08:37 AM
It will be a real watershed game. Miners struggled a lot more with the lions than we dud but week 1 is weird.
I agree that it feels like it comes down to the d line.

Well, that line gave me a sinking feeling.

Keke seems like he's trying to run in mud. Lowry is getting pushed around.

I think it's getting to be time to give the youngsters a chance. Same for Stokes - King is completely ineffective. I still don't understand why Gutey gave him a contract but traded Hollman, who at least still has some athleticism.

smuggler
09-23-2021, 11:53 AM
We're going to lose this game. I'm accepting it now.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-23-2021, 12:09 PM
We're going to lose this game. I'm accepting it now.

Fuck off with the pessimism.

I paid a college chick that works part-time at the burger joint that enslaves me $20 for her birth date. I used it to gain access to the NFL Sunday Ticket without having to get a Direct TV dish (for $120). I watched the 1st half of the 69ers-Balding Eagles game. 69ers looked like the Washington Futbol Team.

On any given Sunday, anyone has a chance.

smuggler
09-23-2021, 01:02 PM
It's not pessimistic. It's pragmatically realistic. Now I can only be pleasantly surprised or sadly correct.

Tony Oday
09-23-2021, 08:46 PM
Niners get 290 yards running 5 TDs.

Fritz
09-24-2021, 06:11 AM
Niners get 290 yards running 5 TDs.

Supposedly Barry's defense is designed to stop the run more than Pettine's was. We'll see.

Joemailman
09-24-2021, 08:23 AM
Supposedly Barry's defense is designed to stop the run more than Pettine's was. We'll see.

Packers will need better D-line play for Barry's defense to work. They did make some adjustments against the Lions that seemed to work. The line is very much a work in progress. Lancaster, Lowry and Keke all need to play better. And maybe Slaton and Heflin need to play more.

run pMc
09-24-2021, 10:10 AM

I think Berry wants the DL to play the run on the way to the pass, whereas Pettine just wanted them to rush and play the pass.
Playing the run first will slow them down a tick and changes the responsibilities. I also think some players are better at it than others.

GB is basically rolling out Kenny Clark and a bunch of UDFA/Day3 guys, so the talent is iffy.

No pass rush push up the middle means OT can let Preston and Rashan run the loop around the QB. Meanwhile, that QB has a nice pocket to sit in for 4-5 seconds. That's too long for most CBs to cover someone.

Joemailman
09-24-2021, 03:29 PM
Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood
· 1h
Matt LaFleur says LT Elgton Jenkins is doubtful for #Packers game at 49ers. That's a big loss if he can't go Sunday night. LaFleur won't divulge who would play LT if David Bakhtiari's replacement can't go, but they've prepared for that possibility. "We have a plan."

If Jenkins can't go, either Yosh Nijman starts at LT, or Turner moves to LT and Kelly starts at RT.

smuggler
09-24-2021, 04:29 PM
Is Kelly even available yet? It's probably going to be Turner at LT with either Newman or Runyan at RT and Patrick back at guard, if Kelly can't go.

Joemailman
09-24-2021, 06:00 PM
Is Kelly even available yet? It's probably going to be Turner at LT with either Newman or Runyan at RT and Patrick back at guard, if Kelly can't go.

Kelly is not on the injury report.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FAE-avGUYAE2ki3?format=jpg&name=900x900

Tony Oday
09-25-2021, 07:09 AM
They will hit Erin and he will abandon the game plan and try to play hero ball. We lose this by more then I thought.

texaspackerbacker
09-25-2021, 09:01 AM
Why so negative? You used to be one of the sensible ones in here.

bobblehead
09-25-2021, 10:32 AM
I fully expect to lose bigly. I also enjoy being wrong about certain things. This is the game either they have shaken off the rust and adjusted to the new defense of we are all really doom and gloom come monday morning.

MadtownPacker
09-25-2021, 11:18 AM
You know how much I detest Rogers and his bitch ass behavior. Previously thought this is going to be a for sure loss like always when 49ers are good. Now I don’t know, I have a sinking feeling this might turn out to be a W. Real going to put a cramp in getting Love some high draft picks coworkers. Instead Rogers is going to come through against the Niners when it really doesn’t fucking matter instead of all the times it did. He’s just the of kind of prick to stick it to the organization like that.

This is how this works. The only way he gets what he wants is by having a great year which equals a better record and a worse pick. This is how he give a big middle finger on the way out. Maybe the niners will break him and Love can come in and pull the upset. That’s what I’m rooting for.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-25-2021, 11:42 AM
Why so negative? You used to be one of the sensible ones in here.

Sensible? Tony O’Day? I’ve met orangutans that were more sensible than O’Day.

George Cumby
09-25-2021, 11:46 AM
As much as I appreciate Mad's 'optimism', count me in the 'Packers get curb-stomped camp'.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-25-2021, 11:50 AM
You know how much I detest Rogers and his bitch ass behavior. Previously thought this is going to be a for sure loss like always when 49ers are good. Now I don’t know, I have a sinking feeling this might turn out to be a W. Real going to put a cramp in getting Love some high draft picks coworkers. Instead Rogers is going to come through against the Niners when it really doesn’t fucking matter instead of all the times it did. He’s just the of kind of prick to stick it to the organization like that.

This is how this works. The only way he gets what he wants is by having a great year which equals a better record and a worse pick. This is how he give a big middle finger on the way out. Maybe the niners will break him and Love can come in and pull the upset. That’s what I’m rooting for.

Yo Mad, with all due respect, you’ve got to get over the ‘Butte’ autograph debacle.

In my shutdown corner days, I was working out at a Gold’s Gym, and in came Bill Schroeder, along with his pals Will Hendersen and Al Rossum. I asked Schroeder for an autograph. He refused unless I buy a copy of the Packers “hardbody” calendar the players were promoting.

I was like, no thanks, I ain’t queer, homie. Why the fuck would I want to buy calendar full of hardbodied homies?

Schroeder is still the greatest white WR in my book.

George Cumby
09-25-2021, 01:26 PM
Janis is still the greatest white WR in my book.

FTFY

Upnorth
09-25-2021, 01:52 PM
We need to take the ball out of rodgers hands this game, except for play action. When he is pressured this year he is panicking and screwing up. We get the run game going and use a bunch of pa and we will win. We try to throw throw throw 12 gets pressured and he throws another multipick game we are doomed.

Joemailman
09-25-2021, 03:06 PM
Packers place Dafney on IR. Should see a lot of DeGuara tomorrow.

red
09-25-2021, 03:54 PM
jenkins is out

o-line is gonna be a shit show

Joemailman
09-25-2021, 07:07 PM
Packers have the fewest sacks in the NFL (0). 49ers have given up the fewest sacks in the NFL (1). So there's little reason to think the Packers will be able to get much pressure by rushing 4. Wonder if they'll try to bring a lot of pressure with blitzes, or rush 3 and drop 8 into coverage more.

call_me_ishmael
09-25-2021, 09:23 PM
I sadly predict the Packers get owned tomorrow, maybe 41-13 type game.

Bretsky
09-25-2021, 09:26 PM
I sadly predict the Packers get owned tomorrow, maybe 41-13 type game.

Is that an intentionally mean Badger reference ? lol

call_me_ishmael
09-25-2021, 09:40 PM
Is that an intentionally mean Badger reference ? lol

Definitely not. Did they lose that badly. Jeez.

FayettevillePacker2021
09-25-2021, 10:44 PM
Well, newbie here, didn't see any introductory threads here so .... First post on Packerrats here I go

I predicted before the season began this would probably be a loss as I figured the this 49er team would be healthy unlike the JV team we faced out there last year. Now without E. Jenkins out there, our task against Bosa and co just got more difficult.

My main hope for tomorrow if we don't pull off the win is keep it close within a 7-14 point range. Do that and we still got plenty of time to get things cranked up again starting with the Steeelers.

Anyway, here's to hoping things are enjoyable for me here.

texaspackerbacker
09-25-2021, 11:52 PM
What eludes a lot of ya'all is that the Niners have a shitload of injuries at RB as well as a couple in the D Line.

It's unfortunate that Jenkins is out, but he was mediocre and wasted at OT anyway. This game is again gonna highlight the lack of importance of the O Line in the passing game, and I think we may be able to get some decent yardage with inside zone runs even with what we have in the O Line.

The key to the game will be preventing the Niners from eating up time with ball control. I'm pretty sure they won't be able to run it on us, but short passing could be a problem. If we just don't let them hold the ball for 70% or so of the game, Rodgers will do his usual thing, and with a few change of pace runs mixed in, we should be able to outscore them.

Ya'all who want to "take the ball out of Rodgers hands", I guess we should bring in Paul Chryst as our new OC. The Packers would be screwed, but at least it would help the Badgers.

Fritz
09-26-2021, 07:51 AM
Packers have the fewest sacks in the NFL (0). 49ers have given up the fewest sacks in the NFL (1). So there's little reason to think the Packers will be able to get much pressure by rushing 4. Wonder if they'll try to bring a lot of pressure with blitzes, or rush 3 and drop 8 into coverage more.

I would opt for the former, as rushing three means that Jeanine Garrapolo will have all day to scan the field and even wait for Kevin King to lose his coverage. I can't stand that rushing three defense, especially when nobody's getting home for Green Bay these days. But maybe Rashan Gary will come close!