PDA

View Full Version : Best Packer players 1970 through 1990

RashanGary
10-05-2021, 01:38 PM
This is an area I can't speak much about.

But.....

We have some experienced Packers fans here and this should be interesting

Dickey
Lofton
Sharpe
Majik

I have no clue

George Cumby
10-05-2021, 01:43 PM
Tim Harris

Some good O/L in there, IIRC.

Eddie Lee Ivery
John Brockington

Joemailman
10-05-2021, 01:58 PM
This is from a thread I did last year on another forum:

These are players who played for the Packers only during the years after Lombardi was done coaching and before Holmgren (1968-1991).

Notes: It excludes players who played the bulk of their Packers careers in the Bad Old Days but who played for Holmgren (Brian Noble, Chuck Cecil, Ron Hallstrom). It also excludes players who played much of their careers in the Bad Old Days but who had played for Lombardi (Gale Gillingham). It includes Fred Carr who was drafted when Lombardi was still GM but did not play for Lombardi. It also includes Tim Harris who played for teams other than the Packers after 1991.

QB Lynn Dickey

RB John Brockington

FB MacArthur Lane

WR James Jofton

WR John Jefferson

TE Paul Coffman

C Larry McCarren

LG Bill Lueck

RG Leotis Harris

LT Mark Koncar

DT Mike McCoy

DT Robert Brown

DE Alphonso Carreker

DE Ezra Johnson

MLB Jim Carter

ILB John Dorsey

OLB Fred Carr

OLB Tim Harris

FS Johnnie Gray

SS Mark Murphy

CB Ken Ellis

CB Willie Buchanon

P Don Bracken

K Chester Marcol

RET Steve Odom

HarveyWallbangers
10-05-2021, 02:33 PM
Good list. Other players of note from that era: CB Mark Lee, CB Tim Lewis (who had a chance to be really good before a career ending injury), LB John Anderson

George Cumby
10-05-2021, 02:37 PM
This is from a thread I did last year on another forum:

Slut.

Spaulding
10-05-2021, 03:17 PM
No list from the 80's is complete with thee Eddie Lee Ivory - thanks Cumby for stealing my thunder :) He was a joy to watch and the great hope after Terdell Middleton was a flash in the pan and Barty Smith never warranted his first round draft choice. Alas I have several Smith's now worthless rookie cards which constantly remind me of the pain of the mid to late 70's.

Ivory had so much potential but could never seem to stay on the field. John Anderson was steady and a player for the pack for years. Although I hated his Michigan pedigree he's the only player outside of Woodson that I could tolerate. Runyan has a long ways to go with me to atone for "lost" way in college. Gary on the other hand had me at his tears when drafted by the Packers. Thought he's suck/underwhelm like he did in college but I'll never question his effort.

Joemailman
10-05-2021, 04:33 PM
Slut.

I just want to experience everything life has to offer.

Sparkey
10-05-2021, 06:46 PM
I remember watching Mike Butler and Ezra Johnson on the ends of the D line.

smuggler
10-06-2021, 12:23 AM
Mark Lee was pretty good, right? Wasn't there another solid CB from the 70s and 80s?

Upnorth
10-06-2021, 07:23 AM
I cut my teeth watching 70s packers and riders. If you asked me about great football players from that era it was almost exclusively riders I remember as that is Saskatchewan team. I would like to contribute nothing to this conversation about packers, but I will share 3 names of legends.
Ron Lancaster
George Reed
Roger Aldag

Upnorth
10-06-2021, 07:24 AM
Double post

run pMc
10-06-2021, 08:31 AM
Most of those were not great years, I think most have been covered. Eddie Lee Ivory's injuries broke my heart. Does Brian Noble make the cut?

Sparkey
10-06-2021, 06:59 PM
Mark Lee was pretty good, right? Wasn't there another solid CB from the 70s and 80s?

Willie Buchanon * 21 picks in 7 seasons. Two seasons he missed most of each year with injuries.

The guy was freakin good!

smuggler
10-07-2021, 03:35 AM
Right. Any relation to the 2000s-era Raiders CB Philip Buchanan?