PDA

View Full Version : Jaylon Smith

Spaulding
10-05-2021, 09:41 PM
Looks like Cowboys are cutting him to protect themselves from being on the hook for his 9+ million salary in 2022 if getting injured yet this year.

If I read things correctly the Cowboys still are responsible for his salary for the remainder of this year.

Any thoughts on if the Pack should try and kick the tires on him? At face value he’s a relatively recent pro bowler who might be an upgrade over Barnes or at least add depth behind him and Campbell.

If we’re all in this year you have to explore any opportunity to improve the roster. Assuming he’s already guaranteed the money from the Cowboys he could sign with a contender for anything (where that salary is subtracted from what the Cowboys already owe him).

Upnorth
10-05-2021, 10:45 PM
If we cant find a corner back sure. We are thin at corner and that is where we need a fa

Joemailman
10-05-2021, 10:57 PM
It's an interesting situation. His stats were good last year, but then Cowboys drafted LB's in the 1st and 4th rounds. This year his snap counts are way down.

call_me_ishmael
10-05-2021, 11:01 PM
So what happened to this dude? Obviously had the drop foot and likely lost some athleticism but wasn't he damn good his first couple years when he was back?

To me he looks a lot bigger than he was in college. Maybe it's the shoulder pads but he looks very broad.

smuggler
10-06-2021, 12:17 AM
Signing him to a 1-year deal is basically free, so even if he's just a guy, there's not a lot of downside.

Joemailman
10-06-2021, 08:16 AM
So what happened to this dude? Obviously had the drop foot and likely lost some athleticism but wasn't he damn good his first couple years when he was back?

To me he looks a lot bigger than he was in college. Maybe it's the shoulder pads but he looks very broad.

Some people have said he's looked really bad this year. Maybe that terrible knee injury he had his last game at Notre Dame finally took its toll. My guess is he started to slow down last year even though his stats looked good.

Spaulding
10-06-2021, 07:17 PM
Demovsky tweeted the Packers are front runners for Smith. Make it happen!! Having our own poor mans LaVante David and Devon White would be huge.

run pMc
10-07-2021, 08:20 AM
Haven't watched any Cowboys games, but from what I've heard he's fallen down the depth chart. Is he washed up?
Honestly, they need to fix their pass rush and bolster the secondary. I get they have Campbell and a JAG-crew but LB seems like a less a need.

HarveyWallbangers
10-07-2021, 09:04 AM
Haven't watched any Cowboys games, but from what I've heard he's fallen down the depth chart. Is he washed up?
Honestly, they need to fix their pass rush and bolster the secondary. I get they have Campbell and a JAG-crew but LB seems like a less a need.

To be fair their depth chart at ILB is really good: 1st round pick Micah Parsons, former 1st round pick Leighton Vander Esch, and rookie Jabril Cox (who is really good in coverage).

Sparkey
10-07-2021, 09:43 AM
This is why they need another LB: OLB Chauncey Rivers tears ACL, will miss rest of season.

Joemailman
10-07-2021, 10:00 AM
Tom Silverstein

Some scouts’ evaluation of ILB Jaylon Smith: Can’t run like he once did and hitch in stride is noticeable from old knee injury. He’s not going to shed or blow up blocks in run game, but can move laterally and chase, which is what #Packers probably are seeking for their 3-ILB personnel grouping. He’s a better player than Summers or Burks and they’re hoping he’ll be like De’Vondre Campbell and add experience, hustle, versatility and leadership to defense.

Fritz
10-07-2021, 10:19 AM
Too bad Oral Burks hasn't progressed enough to take over a starting role and be effective.

texaspackerbacker
10-07-2021, 10:29 AM
I've watched most of the Dallas games, and he didn't look deteriorated to me. He is an excellent sideline to sideline run stopper. I didn't notice him much in pass coverage, but with his speed, he should have the ability as needed there too. I'm thinking he's a big step up from Barnes, and probably better than Campbell all around.

run pMc
10-07-2021, 05:32 PM
So you're saying the Cowboys #4 LB is better than GB's #1 ILB?

FWIW, PFF thinks Campbell is playing pretty good, and (for a change) most observers would agree.

Joemailman
10-07-2021, 05:36 PM
Smith will be brought along slowly. He played in a completely different defense. They'll probably find certain defensive packages he can play in. It'll be a while before he knows the whole playbook.

texaspackerbacker
10-07-2021, 11:59 PM
I wouldn't expect it to be too slow. Defense is not offense in terms of learning curve, and assuming Barnes is likely to be out again, I'd expect Smith to be in the game for at least a few plays, maybe a lot.

And yes, if he is the Cowboys' 4th best ILB, I do see him as better than anybody the Packers have, even Campbell - I guess we will see. I sort of doubt he is the Cowboys' 4th best, though. Vander Esch seems like he's still a little bit damaged from the injury he had, and I honestly didn't see Cox do much in the games they have played.

call_me_ishmael
10-08-2021, 11:25 AM
Vander Esch went from all-pro to jag in a hurry lol. Stinks 'cause I really liked him coming out and you hate to see the injuries. CM3 clone folks used to say.

Fritz
10-08-2021, 11:39 AM
I wonder if Smith will be better-suited to this defense than Dallas's.

It'll take some time to get up to speed, but it seems like it's an upgrade at least as a third ILB.

Let Summers and Burks, once Smith's up to speed, focus on special teams. That ST unit needs to step it up. Now that they've got a real punter, there are no more excuses.

And that punter is gooood.

Jaire
10-10-2021, 10:40 PM
This will be viewed as a special pick up in a few weeks. Deandre is underrated.

texaspackerbacker
10-11-2021, 05:08 AM
Just bringing in Smith seems to have lit a fire under Kris Barnes. He looked quicker and better than I've generally seen him. I thought - wrongly - Smith was playing and looking pretty mediocre out there when I saw #54. Come to find out, though, that was Ladarius Hamilton.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-11-2021, 05:19 AM
Just bringing in Smith seems to have lit a fire under Kris Barnes. He looked quicker and better than I've generally seen him. I thought - wrongly - Smith was playing and looking pretty mediocre out there when I saw #54. Come to find out, though, that was Ladarius Hamilton.

J-Smith wears the exotic 9. Hopefully in a couple of weeks, he’ll be starting over Barnes, a poor man’d Bernardo Harris.

bobblehead
10-11-2021, 09:41 AM
J-Smith wears the exotic 9. Hopefully in a couple of weeks, he’ll be starting over Barnes, a poor man’d Bernardo Harris.

Barnes plays physical. J-Smith hasn't taken on a block since high school. He covers for shit as well. I hear he is a great locker room guy though, so he has that going for him.

run pMc
10-11-2021, 12:19 PM
Jaylon will take 2-3 weeks to get up to speed with the defense. ILBs have a lot of responsibilities and have to know the calls.

At this point I'd take Barnes over Jaylon, but Barnes gets hurt every other game so it's a good move if you want to keep Summers off the field.

Smith isn't a thumper and his knee makes his speed questionable, but if he only plays a few snaps and is a smart player he could contribute. Would have preferred they get more OLB or CB depth, but there aren't any good ones on the street.

(And no, CM3 isn't in football shape and he's well past his prime anyway.)

HarveyWallbangers
10-11-2021, 01:01 PM
Barnes plays physical. J-Smith hasn't taken on a block since high school. He covers for shit as well. I hear he is a great locker room guy though, so he has that going for him.

I'm not sure about that. Reading reports on him is like reading reports on Campbell. They were all over the map. He can't tackle, but he can cover. He can't cover, but he's tall and fast. Same with Smith. I knew Campbell started for many years, but I can't say I watched his games and focused on him. I know Smith was damn good in 2018 and 2019. Poorly rated during the COVID year last year. Actually, had good grades from PFF this year. Lots of contradictory stuff. Somebody had a good quote on another forum "he's everything and nothing at the same time." Made me laugh, and it seemed to be spot on.

texaspackerbacker
10-11-2021, 03:13 PM
Yes - what Harvey said. I've seen Jaylon Smith play a lot after his big injury, and he didn't seem to have a problem with speed at all. I didn't see him used a whole lot in coverage, but he ought to be decent there too. Barnes only seems good because of low expectations - getting him as a UDFA and the Packers recent history of crap at ILB.

bobblehead
10-11-2021, 03:52 PM
He is good pursuing the run sideline to sideline. He runs inline pretty well, but Tex, I assume you watched Dallas games some? He can't cover and he can't take on a blocker. The scouting on Campbell was pretty different. He did everything ok, nothing great. Because he didn't have one standout skill expectations were low. But because he can't be exploited it has worked out quite well. Jaylon can be bulldozed or exploited if stuck on a TE or a scatback. He might serve a purpose against a stretch running team though.

HarveyWallbangers
10-11-2021, 04:30 PM
He is good pursuing the run sideline to sideline. He runs inline pretty well, but Tex, I assume you watched Dallas games some? He can't cover and he can't take on a blocker. The scouting on Campbell was pretty different. He did everything ok, nothing great. Because he didn't have one standout skill expectations were low. But because he can't be exploited it has worked out quite well. Jaylon can be bulldozed or exploited if stuck on a TE or a scatback. He might serve a purpose against a stretch running team though.

Except his coverage grade is good this year (per PFF). Not the be all and end all, but some of things being said don't match stats. The things being said are contradictory. Some say he's still fast. Others say he doesn't have speed because of the injuries. How closely do we all watch other teams ILBs? Every game?

From what I've cobbled together: I believe he probably doesn't take on blockers well. Most ILBs don't. I believe he still has good speed and sideline-to-sideline range. One thing is for certain: he is a good tackler. That has always been a sore spot for this defense. Campbell came with the same concerns about coverage--even though he's big and fast. Maybe Joe Barry's scheme simplifies things for ILBs, and it will help mitigate some of the issues Smith has had in coverage.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/10/6/22711907/colts-should-take-a-shot-on-ex-cowboys-pro-bowl-lb-jaylon-smith

Now, Smith came off of a somewhat underwhelming 2020 campaign, but he actually graded out very well so far this season for the Cowboys.

Specifically, per PFF (subscription), the 6’2”, 245 pound linebacker is ranked as their 13th best linebacker so far this season with a +69.5 overall grade—including an impressive +82.2 coverage grade during 4 games (2 starts).

The primary concern for Dallas was that if Smith got injured this year, his contract would be guaranteed at $9M for next year. They already have Parsons, LVE, and Cox. It wasn't worth the risk for the Cowboys, but it doesn't mean he can't play in the right scheme. He's still young. He's still athletic. We'll see.

Guiness
10-11-2021, 07:43 PM
Did he get any snaps this week-end? He's not in the box score and I didn't notice him on the field.

Joemailman
10-11-2021, 08:22 PM
Did he get any snaps this week-end? He's not in the box score and I didn't notice him on the field.

No. He was not active. He only practiced 1 day.

run pMc
10-11-2021, 09:09 PM
The primary concern for Dallas was that if Smith got injured this year, his contract would be guaranteed at $9M for next year.

My understanding is this was the main reason to release him, not necessarily performance (although Parsons and Vander Esch are likely as good if not better at this point). Doesn't really cost them much to kick the tires on him for 60K/week as Jerry is still paying for the bulk of his salary this year.

Upnorth
10-12-2021, 07:03 AM
Isn't Campbell top 10 on pff? So we have a top 10 ilb and a top 15? Is this legal in green Bay? Is wist actually smiling?

Fritz
10-12-2021, 08:34 AM
Wist is stroking himself somewhere, though those two are more like Drew Barrymore and Reagan Fox than Wist's preferred duo. But still, it's something.

I could hardly disagree with Wist more on most issues, but I miss him here.

bobblehead
10-13-2021, 07:27 AM
Except his coverage grade is good this year (per PFF). Not the be all and end all, but some of things being said don't match stats. The things being said are contradictory. Some say he's still fast. Others say he doesn't have speed because of the injuries. How closely do we all watch other teams ILBs? Every game?

From what I've cobbled together: I believe he probably doesn't take on blockers well. Most ILBs don't. I believe he still has good speed and sideline-to-sideline range. One thing is for certain: he is a good tackler. That has always been a sore spot for this defense. Campbell came with the same concerns about coverage--even though he's big and fast. Maybe Joe Barry's scheme simplifies things for ILBs, and it will help mitigate some of the issues Smith has had in coverage.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/10/6/22711907/colts-should-take-a-shot-on-ex-cowboys-pro-bowl-lb-jaylon-smith

The primary concern for Dallas was that if Smith got injured this year, his contract would be guaranteed at $9M for next year. They already have Parsons, LVE, and Cox. It wasn't worth the risk for the Cowboys, but it doesn't mean he can't play in the right scheme. He's still young. He's still athletic. We'll see.

He has speed, but the reason he got cut was that he doesn't stay in his gaps, gets crushed when engaging nearly anyone, and doesn't cover well. Speed does not alway equate to coverage skills. I am confident of not a lot, but the idea that J-Smith is special is lunacy. He is fine for a vet minimum signing. He probably is better than Burks on defense. But nothing I have seen tells me he is better than Barnes. I watch a lot of Dallas games. He is a poor mans Blake Martinez.

Fritz
10-13-2021, 11:26 AM
I am sad that he is better than Burks. I'd hoped that the preseason praise for Burks finally understanding the ILB position was more than just talk. He is playing more there, but obviously not well enough to keep them from signing J. Smith.

Sparkey
11-02-2021, 12:12 PM
Smith to be released

Sparkey
11-02-2021, 12:13 PM
Adios Jaylon. We hardly knew you.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-02-2021, 12:45 PM
What the fuck? Barnes can’t play. Please tell me the German Shepherd is trading for Fred Warner.

Vincenzo
11-02-2021, 01:00 PM
I’m guessing he lost a step and a half. But the big question here is, WHY??

smuggler
11-02-2021, 01:15 PM
the big question here is, WHY??

Ankle and knee injuries.

I saw recently that ~40% of his targets are uncatchable this season. Football Outsiders has him as the 8th worst receiver by DVOA, but their metric heavily relies on target efficiency, not route efficiency, and their threshold is 32 targets, so he's just above with 34.

He might not be *as bad* as I'm feeling, but I don't feel he gives his QB easy opportunities for completions, which is what good/ great WRs do.

Do we want to bribe him off a contender, something that will not be cheap, considering he's not a special player?

Sparkey
11-02-2021, 01:22 PM
Ankle and knee injuries.

I saw recently that ~40% of his targets are uncatchable this season. Football Outsiders has him as the 8th worst receiver by DVOA, but their metric heavily relies on target efficiency, not route efficiency, and their threshold is 32 targets, so he's just above with 34.

He might not be *as bad* as I'm feeling, but I don't feel he gives his QB easy opportunities for completions, which is what good/ great WRs do.

Do we want to bribe him off a contender, something that will not be cheap, considering he's not a special player?

Who are you referring to ? :idea: Obviously not Jaylon Smith, the former Cowboy LB.

Fritz
11-02-2021, 01:26 PM
They cut him, but he still hasn't left town. He's been slow making arrangments...

bobblehead
11-02-2021, 05:25 PM
I heard there is a garbage truck blocking his driveway and he has no idea how to do anything about it.

smuggler
11-03-2021, 03:38 AM
Who are you referring to ? :idea: Obviously not Jaylon Smith, the former Cowboy LB.

haha, yeah I had two threads open at once. I was referring to OBJ.