PDA

View Full Version : Gilmore released by Pats

King Friday
10-06-2021, 07:25 AM
I would jump all over this if I was Gute. He's not the player he once was, but he'd be better than King even if he was blindfolded.

bobblehead
10-06-2021, 08:06 AM
given the injury situation you have to take a look. Problem is he has to clear waivers as I think he has a sizeable contract.

jklowan
10-06-2021, 08:08 AM
I would jump all over this if I was Gute. He's not the player he once was, but he'd be better than King even if he was blindfolded. Dallas also released the LB Smith, think I would prefer him, Gilmore looked done last year to me and he wants a new contract puff puff pass

Joemailman
10-06-2021, 08:54 AM
given the injury situation you have to take a look. Problem is he has to clear waivers as I think he has a sizeable contract.

Because he has been in the league more than 4 years, he does not have to clear waivers. He will likely be expensive. He is on the PUP list, so I don't think he would be available right away.

Upnorth
10-06-2021, 09:11 AM
We need to at least bring him to the table and see what he wants. We are thin at CB. Unfortunately he won't help for 2 weeks

call_me_ishmael
10-06-2021, 09:41 AM
I would absolutely kick the tires on this. This is the type of player that can change the narrative and maybe convince your star to stay. Julius Peppers type impact.

Joemailman
10-06-2021, 09:43 AM
FWIW:

Greg A. Bedard

I'd be shocked if the Patriots aren't able to trade Gilmore, and the Packers are considered the favorite in league circles.

King Friday
10-06-2021, 09:49 AM
The fact the Pats couldn't get anything they felt was reasonable in a trade prob means the market for his services will not meet Gilmore's expectation. He may want top dollar, but that isn't likely to happen given his current situation. I wouldn't break the bank for him, but he will want to go to a contender which benefits the Packers.

Fritz
10-06-2021, 12:29 PM
This is a tough call. On the surface, it sure seems like a good move. But if this guy wants a big contract, maybe that means into next year - and the Packers are already up against the wall on that front, despite what Tex may wish. In addition, if he's not available for a couple of games, how much good is he doing if Alexander can come back in five weeks or so? Finally, let's say they sign him and get him - so he starts in Alexander's place. Then at some point, we think and hope, Alexander comes back. Do you then sit Stokes or Gilmore? You don't want to stunt Stokes's growth, but you don't want to pay Gilmore happy money and then have him as a backup (I'm assuming neither is particularly suited to the slot).

The good news would be that you could then cut Kevin King.

But I have no idea how much Gilmore has left in the tank. I just think it's likely more than what King has...

King Friday
10-06-2021, 12:56 PM
Apparently the reports of his flat out release were premature... I'm now seeing that he has been traded to Carolina for a 6th round pick.

Honestly, it makes more sense. BB ain't going to let a guy have a free chance to cozy up in a division or conference foe.

Joemailman
10-06-2021, 02:15 PM
Rob Demovsky

On the Packers and their involvement with Gilmore ...

They had been exploring this for a while.

That it didn't work had nothing to do with the trade compensation, but rather the Packers not being able to absorb the remaining portion of his base salary on this year's cap.

smuggler
10-06-2021, 02:24 PM
The Pats were on the hook for his entire contract if he was released. Because he was traded, the Panthers now owe him the final 13 weeks of pay. That's something Green Bay couldn't do. We needed him to get cut if we're wanted to give him a try.

call_me_ishmael
10-06-2021, 02:25 PM
WTH! This is the type of move that could be the difference between hoisting a Lombardi and the heading home in January. I understand what Bob is saying above, but c'mon, you gotta make some moves and figure it out. This is the year to try and win it all. If Rodgers is gone who cares if you're in a couple years.

bobblehead
10-06-2021, 03:10 PM
Rob Demovsky

On the Packers and their involvement with Gilmore ...

They had been exploring this for a while.

That it didn't work had nothing to do with the trade compensation, but rather the Packers not being able to absorb the remaining portion of his base salary on this year's cap.

Thats just a filthy lie. Tex and Tank assure me the cap can always be cooked.

call_me_ishmael
10-06-2021, 03:21 PM
Thats just a filthy lie. Tex and Tank assure me the cap can always be cooked.

Man look at NO - it for sure can. At some point the piper's gotta be paid but they are rebuilding post Aaron anyway so pay the bill then. Hell it is advantageous to totally suck and have no cap space during a rebuild.

jklowan
10-06-2021, 05:33 PM
I still think he's done, he looked terrible down the stretch last year. I'm glad this happened and looks like we are on the cusp of signing J Smith win win, hope it's for more than a year.

jklowan
10-06-2021, 05:34 PM
If there is money left let's get another d lineman and roll

jklowan
10-06-2021, 05:35 PM
we've been drafting cb's for a decade time they earned their keep

Sparkey
10-06-2021, 06:48 PM
Pack signed Rasul Douglas off zCardinals practice squad