PDA

View Full Version : Official Bear Week 1 Discussion Thread

Joemailman
10-11-2021, 04:36 PM
Matt LaFleur tries to go 5-0 versus the Bears. Packers lead all-time series 100-94-6.

Offensively Bears are worst in the NFL with 1200 total yards. They are 32nd in passing but 9th in rushing. Bears have 2 TD passes for the year. David Montgomery, their leading rusher, is out with an injury. Darnell Mooney is their leading receiver with 261 yards receiving.

Defensively Bears rank 10th in the NFL in yards given up and points surrendered. Bears pass defense ranks 14th, having surrendered 8 TD passes with 4 INT's. Bears run defense ranks 13th, although yards per carry ranks 8th.

Packers are favored by 4. Over/under is 46, which I think is too high.

King Friday
10-11-2021, 06:44 PM
Last year, both meetings went over 50 points. This isn't the Bears defense of 2-4 years ago. Cobb is a noted Bear killer.

Fields may give the Packers fits in the next 3-5 years, but it won't happen as long as dumbass Nagy is the head coach.

Pack 27, Soon to be Suburbanites 20

run pMc
10-11-2021, 09:01 PM
Agree with Friday on the CHI D, Fields, and Cobb the Bearkiller.

If Akiem Hicks can go their defense is tougher.
I'll be curious to see the injury reports on this one -- both for GB's OL and CHI's D.

Rivalry games always are a little screwy, but I think GB the better team overall.

call_me_ishmael
10-11-2021, 09:27 PM
I would like to see the Packers dominate the ground game and give their backs 35 combined touches via runs and short passes

texaspackerbacker
10-11-2021, 11:37 PM
We'll beat them, as always in recent years. What LaFleur dials up on offense, of course, depends on what the D throws at us. I'm thinking they emphasize stopping the run and Rodgers has a big day.

With the Packers shorthanded at Corner, some teams could take advantage. I doubt Fields and the Bears are up to that, though.

Upnorth
10-12-2021, 07:01 AM
Only way we lose is turn overs. Bears are worse this year than last on d and if we can cover Robison we are gold.

Fritz
10-12-2021, 08:37 AM
So Montgomery is out?

That's big.

It'll be interesting to see Nagy try to exploit GB's corners. Here, the Packers' pass rush will be key. I don't think Yiadom/King/Sullivan can hang for too long even with "meh" receivers. So we'll see. And da Bears played pretty well last week. This one's scary because it looks like the Packers should win - though they are short-handed.

Joemailman
10-12-2021, 09:07 AM
I would like to see the Packers dominate the ground game and give their backs 35 combined touches via runs and short passes

I would too, but the OL they had last week probably won't allow for that. The C/RG/RT combo protected Rodgers well, but didn't move anybody in he run game. Things should get better in that regard as they get their starters back, whenever that happens.

Sparkey
10-12-2021, 09:25 AM
Nijman against Mack could be a shit show in the making.

Joemailman
10-12-2021, 09:53 AM
Mack and Quinn are both having good seasons. Mack with 5 sacks and 7 pressures. Quinn with 4.5 sacks and 10 pressures. Whoever lines up against Mack will be getting some help from RB's and TE's.

Freak Out
10-12-2021, 09:53 AM
Run the ball.

Joemailman
10-12-2021, 10:06 AM
Run the ball.

You have to try and run it. But if the Packers have Lucas Patrick and Royce Newman trying to block Akiem Hicks, don't expect too much.

HarveyWallbangers
10-12-2021, 10:43 AM
I like using Dillon more against good, physical run defenses.

Upnorth
10-12-2021, 02:00 PM
I would too, but the OL they had last week probably won't allow for that. The C/RG/RT combo protected Rodgers well, but didn't move anybody in he run game. Things should get better in that regard as they get their starters back, whenever that happens.

You pick who is better, bears d line or Bengals d line.
Bengals d line is quietly on of the better ones in the league. They have poor secondary and the d line is saving them. I think our o line should play better this week assuming no new bad news on this week

George Cumby
10-12-2021, 02:10 PM
Run the ball.

IIRC they ran the ball directly at Mack recently to good effect.

George Cumby
10-12-2021, 02:14 PM
Packers lead all-time series 100-94-6.

Remember when the Pack were in the hole by something like 30 games? It seemed insurmountable, like being in the bottom of the well like that evil girl from "The Ring".

This might be the best stat of all.

run pMc
10-12-2021, 02:44 PM
No Montgomery but they pounded the Raiders with Damien Willams and Khalil Herbert. Aside from that I don't think they dominated OAK so much as they didn't beat themselves.
Allen Robinson is decent but I think Darrell Mooney is on the rise. I worry about GB vs. mobile QBs (flashbacks to Kaepernick and Wilson) but Fields is a rookie and slightly hurt his knee so I wonder if Nagy will Mitch him by keeping him in the pocket. Who knows, maybe Joe Berry will have some tricks to confound them. (Who am I kidding.) They are not an offensive juggernaut, so even GB's banged up D should give them problems. They have former Seahawk Germain Ifedi and the ghost of Jason Peters playing at OT for them, neither has been great this year. Wonder if we'll see Kenny Clark move around.

On D they aren't who they were but they still have good talent. Trevathan is off IR, and they still have Mack, Roquan, Quinn, and Hicks. Not sure how good their corners are, Eddie Jackson is a solid safety. I think they can be had if GB/MLF stays patient with the run game. Would help if they got Myers and Jenkins back on the OL. Davante will be doubled, they need to get the other receivers involved. (Paging Robert Tonyan...) Jones and Dillon will get a lot of work and could do well on checkdowns.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/chi

Fritz
10-12-2021, 03:24 PM
I wonder how, exactly, the offensive game plan changes when you have to have RB's and TE's stayin in to block to help the noobs on the offensive line?

Do any teams run traditional screens to running backs any more? Or run the old draw play?

Joemailman
10-12-2021, 03:30 PM
Bears defense has a habit of rising to the occasion at home. They shut down Bengals pretty good in Week 2. However, they haven't faced anyone like Rodgers and Adams. Packers offense could be better running the ball than they were last week if they get Jenkins and/or Myers back.

George Cumby
10-12-2021, 04:26 PM
LaFleur showed he was willing to roll Rodgers out last week to slow down the rush/buy time.

Between that and running at Mack, it might be enough.

smuggler
10-12-2021, 05:35 PM
Any word on Elgatron and Myers?

CaptainKickass
10-12-2021, 05:58 PM
Q: Why is there always a southerly wind blowing out of Milwaukee?
A: Because Chicago sucks!
:-)

Joemailman
10-12-2021, 07:01 PM
Any word on Elgatron and Myers?

Tuesday is the players day off. First injury report comes out after Wednesday practice.

Joemailman
10-13-2021, 01:27 PM
Some rare good injury news.

Rob Demovsky

Matt LaFleur said O-linemen Josh Myers (finger) and Elgton Jenkins (ankle) will practice today.

"We're going to need them. This is a really sound and physically gifted defense. It's going to be a physical game."

Joemailman
10-13-2021, 01:52 PM
Quinton Dunbar’s visit to Green Bay on Tuesday will end in a signing with the Packers.

According to Mike Garafolo of NFL Network, the Packers are expected to sign Dunbar to the team’s practice squad.

The addition provides instant depth at cornerback for the Packers, who are dealing with shoulder injuries of various degrees to starters Jaire Alexander and Kevin King.

Dunbar, an undrafted free agent in 2015, has played in 64 career games over five seasons in the NFL. He was with Packers defensive coordinator Joe Barry in Washington for his first two seasons in the NFL, and he most recently played in Seattle for the Seahawks in 2020.

Dunbar has defended 40 career passes, including 10 interceptions. He intercepted a career-high four passes during an impressive season with Washington in 2019. He was shipped to the Seahawks for a fifth-round pick in 2020.

By signing Dunbar to the practice squad, the Packers will keep a roster spot open and provide an opportunity to elevate the veteran cornerback twice to the gameday roster. With Alexander on injured reserve and King’s status uncertain, Dunbar could be on the field for the Packers sooner rather than later.

Another new guy in case King can't go.

Joemailman
10-13-2021, 03:37 PM
Remember when the Pack were in the hole by something like 30 games? It seemed insurmountable, like being in the bottom of the well like that evil girl from "The Ring".

This might be the best stat of all.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
The Packers have a 44-15 edge in the head-to-head meetings since 1992. Brett Favre lost his first game against Chicago in '92 and after that loss the Bears held a 24-game edge in the series, their most at any point in the rivalry. Now, the Packers own a 101-95-6 record against the Bears in their series history -- the six-win edge representing the biggest advantage GB has ever owned over CHI. The Packers didn't own a series lead against the Bears from 1933 to 2016..

Joemailman
10-13-2021, 04:58 PM
Damn. Northwest Wisconsin Packer fans get screwed again. No televised Bear/Packer game. Joe Davis and Greg Olsen with the call.

https://506sports.com/2021/06-FOX-V2.png

Joemailman
10-13-2021, 07:45 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBnAYHUWUAEGT4j?format=jpg&name=900x900

Sparkey
10-14-2021, 08:20 AM
Packers signed CB Quinton Dunbar to the practice squad.

Fritz
10-14-2021, 11:39 AM
Thank god Jack Heflin is practicing again at full speed.

He and Slaton will be our saviors on the defensive line! I just know it!

Joemailman
10-14-2021, 04:24 PM
Bears injury report looks worse than Packers. Of course, Packers injury report doesn't include Bakhtiari, Alexander and MVS, and Bears doesn't include Montgomery.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBsCpb9WYAEvux1?format=png&name=900x900

smuggler
10-14-2021, 06:27 PM
Can Damien Williams not play then?

Joemailman
10-14-2021, 07:03 PM
Can Damien Williams not play then?

Depends on if he has symptoms and if he is vaccinated.

According to multiple reports, Williams was placed on the list after testing positive, per the NFL's personnel notice. If he is asymptomatic and is vaccinated, he would be able to return once he produces two negative tests 24 hours apart. If he is vaccinated and develops symptoms, he would be able to return once he produces two negative tests 24 hours apart and is asymptomatic for 48 hours.

If he is unvaccinated, he would have to quarantine for a minimum of 10 days.

scharpcheddar
10-15-2021, 04:28 AM
Nflnet better replay this game during week

Joemailman
10-15-2021, 04:04 PM
King out. Vernon Scott being back could free up Savage and Amos to play some slot corner.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBw2bWXWEAkp5NB?format=jpg&name=medium

George Cumby
10-15-2021, 05:34 PM
Mack and Hicks both questionable?

Nagy gaming it, or what?

Joemailman
10-15-2021, 06:08 PM
Mack and Hicks both questionable?

Nagy gaming it, or what?

Mack has been dealing with his injury since Week 3, but he's played every game. Hicks though missed last week's game. He has a groin injury, so even if he plays he could be less than 100%.

smuggler
10-15-2021, 06:28 PM
Mack not practicing all week is a big deal.

texaspackerbacker
10-15-2021, 06:34 PM
I doubt he needs the practice hahahaha, but if it's a sign that he is damaged goods, then it might be a big deal. Ditto that for Hicks. Robinson too.

George Cumby
10-15-2021, 06:34 PM
Mack has been dealing with his injury since Week 3, but he's played every game. Hicks though missed last week's game. He has a groin injury, so even if he plays he could be less than 100%.

You're on top of it. Thanks.