PDA

View Full Version : Summer vacation

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Taking a weeklong grown-ups only summer vacation this year. We were thinking of possibly taking a cruise as they are cheap that time of year. Has anyone taken any memorable trips that they'd recommend?

Iron Mike
04-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Taking a weeklong grown-ups only summer vacation this year. We were thinking of possibly taking a cruise as they are cheap that time of year. Has anyone taken any memorable trips that they'd recommend?

Big Island of Hawai'i--since it's off-season during the summer, it should be pretty reasonable.

Little Whiskey
04-17-2006, 01:00 PM
when you go on vaca, what is important to you?

I like all inclusives. when i go on a vaca, i want to be a lazy sob. i don't care about off site excursions. just want to lay on the beach and eat and drink to my hearts content. so the reason i don't like cruises is the fact that you get a bar bill at the end of the trip. verses an all inclusive that drinks and food are included in the purchase price. we (my wife and i) really like the dominican republic, but usually head off to mexico since we can get an early flight and start sipping on a few cold ones by noon. fall is usually the time to get better deals on those vacations, but it is also hurricane season so definatly get travel ins. the other problem with off peak times is that you can usually get a great rate on the resort but pay thru the nose on the flight since they are not chartering flights down.

jack's smirking revenge
04-17-2006, 03:28 PM
In a bit of opposition to Iron Mike, I'd say Kauai, Hawaii. Sparsely populated. Beautiful beaches. Every ecosystem on one island (lush and green on one side; dry and somewhat deserted on the other).

tyler

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Since we've only got 7 days, we didn't want to go any further than Cali. We were considering SanFran and some points north (I was even joking for a while about Albuquerque). If we're cruising, it has to be the shorter Carribean ones. We don't want to get too far out or we'd go someplace like St. Kitts or Nevis. we took just a little trip last year to the tip of Virginia and did some shopping, hiking, family tree climbing, and general poking around and had a pretty good time doing that. I was thinking of maybe poking around in NC as well. I just wish the Alaskan cruises weren't so expensive.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Couple of suggestions, you can't beat Vancouver/Victoria Island that time of the year. Beautiful, culture, shopping, outdoor activities..they have it all. Opposite side of the country, Montreal and Quebec City are awesome. You get the french feel w/o the long plane ride and the ridiculous cost of europe during season. Of course, both of these would depend upon the exchange rate.

A personal fav is Cabo. The level of service you get in Mexico is unparalled.

FavreChild
04-17-2006, 04:51 PM
WISCONSIN DELLS. :wink:

GoPackGo
04-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Check out the Caravan tour in Costa Rica.

K-town
04-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Couple of suggestions, you can't beat Vancouver/Victoria Island that time of the year. Beautiful, culture, shopping, outdoor activities..they have it all. Opposite side of the country, Montreal and Quebec City are awesome. You get the french feel w/o the long plane ride and the ridiculous cost of europe during season. Of course, both of these would depend upon the exchange rate.

I was in Cabo in January. Great place for a vacation. Stayed at the Riu Palace (all inclusive, and that includes the beer in the fridge and the 4 bottles of booze mounted on the wall).

Tyrone Bigguns
04-17-2006, 09:24 PM

I was in Cabo in January. Great place for a vacation. Stayed at the Riu Palace (all inclusive, and that includes the beer in the fridge and the 4 bottles of booze mounted on the wall).

Cabo is definitely a great vacation spot. I never even made it down to the downtown (Cabo Wabo, etc.). Most around the One and Only Palmilla.

Bono was staying there. Met him. Fairly nice guy.

HarveyWallbangers
04-17-2006, 10:30 PM
I love the scenery in British Columbia. Spectacular. Not all that interested in visiting Montreal. I'm with Whiskey. I like the All-Inclusive. One of the best vacations of my life was an All-Inclusive in Negril.

GBRulz
04-17-2006, 10:35 PM
IMO, it depends on where you're going for all-inclusive or not. In the Bahamas, we did an all-inclusive as there wasn't as many resorts, restaurants, etc to go to, so staying more at the hotel was the way to go. But when we were in Cancun, we didn't go that route as we wanted to get out and try different places and be at the hotel the whole time. Therefore the cost wasn't justifiable.

It's a nice option to have though.

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 10:44 PM
That's funny, we did the exact opposite. We did the regular hotel in the Bahamas and the all-inclusive in Mex. Riv. That and a rental car worked out really well.

GBRulz
04-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Other than seeing the Atlantis, I wasn't too impressed with the Bahamas. But then again, i was only in Nassau, didn't see the other islands.

It actually seemed like I was in Florida and since i grew up in FL, going there isn't really what i consider a vacation :)

MJZiggy
04-18-2006, 10:48 AM
That's funny because when we got off the plane and left the airport, the first thing I thought was, 'feels just like Florida.'

We weren't in Nassau, we were at Our Lucaya Freeport which is a very nice joint, though not all-inclusive. It might be now, though. They've changed management.

Little Whiskey
04-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Other than seeing the Atlantis, I

well maybe you went to jamacia or s. america to see ATLANTIS. must have been on some good shit. to see that place!!!

or maybe you ment to type atlantiC

just being the forum smart ass :mrgreen:

billy_oliver880
04-18-2006, 12:23 PM
WISCONSIN DELLS. :wink:

Eww....The Dells. I work there all summer. :sad: If you do go to the Dells make sure to do an Upper Dells Tour on the Dells Boat tours. You will not be disappointed. :D

jack's smirking revenge
04-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Wow. So, Atlantis has been discovered? I thought it was still missing. That's jetted to the top of my "must see" list. Is it in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle?

tyler

GBRulz
04-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Whiskey, put down the remote for the TV.... get out and see the world, there is more to life than football and NASCAR ya redneck...lol.

www.atlantis.com

Tyrone Bigguns
04-18-2006, 10:34 PM
I love the scenery in British Columbia. Spectacular. Not all that interested in visiting Montreal. I'm with Whiskey. I like the All-Inclusive. One of the best vacations of my life was an All-Inclusive in Negril.

It really all depends on the area, imho. Since food and drink is important to me, some inclusives food is very average. I don't want to stuff myself with sh*t to feel I got my money's worth. I'm much more about quality than quantity. So, if the food and drink are good and the local places suck, then by all means go inclusive. But, for me, half the fun is finding interesting places to eat/drink, meet different people, explore, etc. Even if exploring is just hitting another resort.

Montreal is a great city, with great food/drink, culture, music, etc. Not the same as a "lay on the beach, parasail vacation." Ideally you would hit it for Montreal Jazz festival or something like that.

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Yeah, but the only thing worse than the French are Canadians wanting to be French.
:D

MJZiggy
04-18-2006, 10:48 PM
As long as they shower regularly... :shock:

Little Whiskey
04-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Whiskey, put down the remote for the TV.... get out and see the world, there is more to life than football and NASCAR ya redneck...lol.

www.atlantis.com

well not much more!

when i go on vaca. i don't want to have an agenda. I want to go and do what i feel like. and usually it is just to relax, especially when it is a tropical vacation!