PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mccarthy---Reflecting on him as a Head Coach

Bretsky
10-17-2021, 08:37 PM
Now that MM is gone, have our views changed on him at all ?

Scale of 1-10 with 1 being weak and 10 being the strongest, where do you rate MM ?

I was watching the entire Dallas Game Today; and I think he calls a much better game play wise than he used to.

I also think we're able to see him with a quality defensive coordinator (we probably could have had him had we moved faster) as well as some real weapons on offense (Lamb anybody) so maybe that just makes him better by default.

Anyways, where do you rate our previous MIke as a HC for the Packers ?

And would you agree he's stronger now than he was when he led our Pack ???

Joemailman
10-17-2021, 10:14 PM
Now that MM is gone, have our views changed on him at all ?

Scale of 1-10 with 1 being weak and 10 being the strongest, where do you rate MM ?

I was watching the entire Dallas Game Today; and I think he calls a much better game play wise than he used to.

I also think we're able to see him with a quality defensive coordinator (we probably could have had him had we moved faster) as well as some real weapons on offense (Lamb anybody) so maybe that just makes him better by default.

Anyways, where do you rate our previous MIke as a HC for the Packers ?

And would you agree he's stronger now than he was when he led our Pack ???

Is he better than the McCarthy who won a Super Bowl and had the best offense in the NFL in 2011? No reason to think so yet. That McCarthy was seen as a pretty innovative guy. Is he better than the guy who got fired in 2018? In all likelihood. That McCarthy had clearly regressed, and probably needed to get away from the game for a bit.

I would rate the Packer McCarthy from 5-9. The Cowboy McCarthy is probably a 7. Can't rate a guy who hasn't won a playoff game yet any higher than that.

One thing that hasn't really been talked about yet is the possibility that McCarthy could end up bringing his Cowboy team into Lambeau for a playoff game. Wouldn't that be something?

texaspackerbacker
10-17-2021, 11:03 PM
In today's game, McCarthy was guilty of multiple blunders that made the game a lot closer than it should have been.

In general, I haven't been as much of a detractor of McCarthy with the Packers as a lot of people. If he was or is seen a great coach, though, it had more to do with the talent level than anything else. Who wouldn't be a great coach with decades of Favre and Rodgers as the foundation of the team? Arguably, we should have been way better record-wise and championship-wise than we were.

Is McCarthy a better coach now? I doubt it. He was decent with us, and he's decent now. It seems that this season McCarthy has better all around talent beyond QB than he ever had for the Packers - O Line much better, Receivers as good or better, RBs with Elliot and Pollard probably second only in the NFL to the Packers now and better than the Packers had anytime while McCarthy was here, and overall, at least as good a defense as what the Packers had during McCarthy's time. In addition, the Packers offense, which probably was virtually all McCarthy's product, probably is not as good as what McCarthy has in Dallas where he has Kellen Moore as the mind behind the system.

If I'm pinned down to a number 1-10, I'd give him a 7 - and I'd compare that to LaFleur who I'd give a 9.

call_me_ishmael
10-18-2021, 12:12 AM
I think it's very clear that M4 is the superior players coach and offensive mind in today's NFL.

I think pretty much every coach has a tenure and by the end it was time for Mac to go. I would say 2005-2016 he was a upper echelon coach, after that he had waning effectiveness it seems. While I really hate the way the Packers treated MM - he certainly deserved better than the mid-season firing - it was time to go and they absolutely should have moved on from him after the season.

It's going to be really interesting to see how long ML makes it here if Love isn't a star. I guess I just don't imagine him having the typical Packer or Steeler sort of longevity if they're going 4-12 or even 8-8 consistently. I think he's a really good coach. His youthfulness and physical conditioning are an asset.

texaspackerbacker
10-18-2021, 09:37 AM
More with the shit about transitioning to Love? Sheeesh. I thought maybe people were beginning to put that idiocy behind them. I 100% want and about 85% think that Aaron Rodgers will be here for a long long time. And during that time period, LaFleur should and will have a great record - basically the same as McCarthy. Does LaFleur go right down to the bottom when Rodgers goes? Maybe not the bottom, but probably between 4-12 and 8-8 is about right based on what the Packers would be without Rodgers now. Love, if he is still around the hopefully many years from now when Rodgers is gone, might be average or even above average, but odds are astronomical that he or whoever follows will be anywhere near what Rodgers has been and still is.

Back on the topic of the thread, I don't see McCarthy as anything special as a "players coach" either in a good way or a bad way. Nowadays, everybody is that way. The days of an autocratic Lombardi or Ditka type are long gone. LaFleur seems like a "players coach" more so than McCarthy, but to call him the best makes you what I always get called (rightly hahaha) - a homer. Physical fitness? Come on! That is at best overrated, and more likely, stupid and insignificant to being a good coach. LaFleur seems to have a small frame and body type. McCarthy has a tendency to balloon out - BFD, a lot of us do. But most of us are not negative about that kind of body basically fat-shaming yourself - like you seem to be. Youthfulness? Sheeesh again hahahaha. LaFleur has a great mind; McCarthy seemed to have far less of one. That has nothing to do with age. There are a lot of young dumbasses around, and a lot of highly intelligent old fogies, although I will grant you, experience or age as a teacher is highly overrated too. That applies, obviously, to life in general, same as it does to coaching football. Was McCarthy treated poorly when he was fired mid-season? I'd say not all that bad. You could say he was lucky not to have been eased out or dumped a lot earlier - the Packers just don't operate the way a lot of teams do in that respect.

texaspackerbacker
10-18-2021, 09:50 AM
Joe, I wouldn't rule out that last line of yours above. The Packers and Cowboys may just be the two best teams in the whole NFL, certainly both in the top 5 or 6. And given the comparative schedules, that playoff game would more likely be played in Arlington. If it came down to coaching, I'd certainly take the Packers, not because McCarthy has "regressed" - I doubt he has, just because LaFleur probably is better than McCarthy ever was as a cerebral coach.

SudsMcBucky
10-18-2021, 10:08 AM
More with the shit about transitioning to Love? Sheeesh. I thought maybe people were beginning to put that idiocy behind them. I 100% want and about 85% think that Aaron Rodgers will be here for a long long time. And during that time period, LaFleur should and will have a great record - basically the same as McCarthy. Does LaFleur go right down to the bottom when Rodgers goes? Maybe not the bottom, but probably between 4-12 and 8-8 is about right based on what the Packers would be without Rodgers now. Love, if he is still around the hopefully many years from now when Rodgers is gone, might be average or even above average, but odds are astronomical that he or whoever follows will be anywhere near what Rodgers has been and still is.

Back on the topic of the thread, I don't see McCarthy as anything special as a "players coach" either in a good way or a bad way. Nowadays, everybody is that way. The days of an autocratic Lombardi or Ditka type are long gone. LaFleur seems like a "players coach" more so than McCarthy, but to call him the best makes you what I always get called (rightly hahaha) - a homer. Physical fitness? Come on! That is at best overrated, and more likely, stupid and insignificant to being a good coach. LaFleur seems to have a small frame and body type. McCarthy has a tendency to balloon out - BFD, a lot of us do. But most of us are not negative about that kind of body basically fat-shaming yourself - like you seem to be. Youthfulness? Sheeesh again hahahaha. LaFleur has a great mind; McCarthy seemed to have far less of one. That has nothing to do with age. There are a lot of young dumbasses around, and a lot of highly intelligent old fogies, although I will grant you, experience or age as a teacher is highly overrated too. That applies, obviously, to life in general, same as it does to coaching football. Was McCarthy treated poorly when he was fired mid-season? I'd say not all that bad. You could say he was lucky not to have been eased out or dumped a lot earlier - the Packers just don't operate the way a lot of teams do in that respect.

I 100% want ARod to continue on with the Pack, but I'm more of the thinking there's only like a 10% chance it will. Just putting everything together in my mind that I've seen and heard over the last several months and I really think it's coming to an end......unfortunately.

Joemailman
10-18-2021, 10:26 AM
I 100% want ARod to continue on with the Pack, but I'm more of the thinking there's only like a 10% chance it will. Just putting everything together in my mind that I've seen and heard over the last several months and I really think it's coming to an end......unfortunately.

Rodgers had an interesting comment yesterday though.

I enjoy this rivalry so much, and I’ve been so thankful to be a part of it. Still feel like I can move around a little bit. … I don’t think this is my last one, but I have enjoyed every single one of them.”

Does he think he's returning to Packers next year? Is he referring t the 2nd Packer/Bear game this year? Does he think the teams will meet in the playoffs? Interpret as you wish.

call_me_ishmael
10-18-2021, 10:38 AM
Well he does have another one against them this year, no? But I agree it is an interesting comment.

How does everyone think Rodgers have looked so far this year? I haven't really watched many of the games, kids and all.

bobblehead
10-18-2021, 11:53 AM
Rodgers had an interesting comment yesterday though.

Does he think he's returning to Packers next year? Is he referring t the 2nd Packer/Bear game this year? Does he think the teams will meet in the playoffs? Interpret as you wish.

What does this have to do with rating mccarthy as a coach? Thread jacker!!

Sparkey
10-18-2021, 11:57 AM
He hasn't been Josh Allen good, but he has been good. I'd say it's partly due to injuries up front, but then again I hear Rodgers doesn't need a good line so I can hardly blame the line for his meh numbers this far.

Back to the topic..

McCarthy is ave. Dak and Elliot make it go.

texaspackerbacker
10-18-2021, 01:33 PM
Haven't you guys heard? Mrs. McCaskey herself negotiated a deal - she gives Rodgers 49% ownership of the Bears with the other 51% to go to him on her death. He becomes the first player/GM/owner in the history of sports. Rodgers just about spilled the beans after he ran for the TD yesterday.

Would I then become a Bears fan? Hell No hahahahaha - but it's something to think about.

George Cumby
10-18-2021, 04:34 PM
Holmgren > McCarthy > Sherman

Time will tell on LaFleur.

RashanGary
10-18-2021, 04:40 PM
I liked McCarthy a lot and still do. It’s not his fault TT let the talent of the team dwindle.

George Cumby
10-18-2021, 04:43 PM
I think he got stale and then complacent. For a while he was cutting edge, perhaps it was the talent he had to play with, but I also thought he was a good leader. I'll always appreciate his "We'll play them in the parking lot" line.

run pMc
10-18-2021, 05:23 PM
I think he got stale and then complacent. For a while he was cutting edge, perhaps it was the talent he had to play with, but I also thought he was a good leader. I'll always appreciate his "We'll play them in the parking lot" line.

Agree with both of these.

bobblehead
10-19-2021, 02:15 PM

I thought Sherman was a very good coach. He was horseshit as a GM and if he and TT could have worked together I think we would have taken down another 2 Owls.

bobblehead
10-19-2021, 02:16 PM
I liked McCarthy a lot and still do. It’s not his fault TT let the talent of the team dwindle.

Fat mikes entire system is predicated on his 11 guys beating the other 11 guys on any given play. To do that you need superior talent all the time. TT provided that for most of their tenure and it lead to several NFCC games and one Owl. When it waned, MM was exposed as a very average coach.

bobblehead
10-19-2021, 02:16 PM

That was the moment MM peaked....what was that his 3rd season?

George Cumby
10-19-2021, 03:29 PM
Sounds about right.

Joemailman
10-19-2021, 05:49 PM
McCarthy does not get enough credit here. He won a Super Bowl in his 5th year with a team that had a ton of injuries. Followed that up with a 15-1 season with the NFL's best offense. At one point his teams won 19 fucking games in a row including playoffs. The decline started in 2013 when he started changing the offense to rely more on receivers winning their 1on 1 matchups. Before that he was rightly considered to be a pretty innovative offensive mind.

King Friday
10-20-2021, 08:59 AM
MM is a very good head coach. He can manage personalities and egos effectively...keep everyone focused on the big picture. I don't think he's a vastly innovative offensive guru anymore. He's not the play caller in Dallas, and that is probably for the best. MM is far removed from his days as offensive coordinator when he lived that 24-7. As a head coach, that shouldn't be your concern anyway. Your job is to oversee the game plans, ensure your staff is getting their groups ready to perform it during the week, and that you can bring the team to focus on what is needed on game day. Too many head coaches try to retain all the control, but that rarely works well for an extended period. When MM sticks to what he does best, he is one of the top ten coaches in the league.

bobblehead
10-20-2021, 09:30 AM
McCarthy does not get enough credit here. He won a Super Bowl in his 5th year with a team that had a ton of injuries. Followed that up with a 15-1 season with the NFL's best offense. At one point his teams won 19 fucking games in a row including playoffs. The decline started in 2013 when he started changing the offense to rely more on receivers winning their 1on 1 matchups. Before that he was rightly considered to be a pretty innovative offensive mind.

I like to look at MMs history of being involved with a ton of losing teams before he was our HC. Again, when given superior talent he won games. I appreciate the one Owl. He is not a great coach though. Stupid challenges, bad temper, bad clock management. Things I saw over the year made me view him as a petty person always looking to scapegoat others for his failures.

I was watching Jacksonville sunday and 4 times I said "thats a result of bad coaching". Special teams breakdowns are a result of bad coaching. Stupid penalties. Offensive imbalance...defensive imbalance. Things the Fat mike packers were known for.

bobblehead
10-20-2021, 09:30 AM
MM is a very good head coach. He can manage personalities and egos effectively...keep everyone focused on the big picture. I don't think he's a vastly innovative offensive guru anymore. He's not the play caller in Dallas, and that is probably for the best. MM is far removed from his days as offensive coordinator when he lived that 24-7. As a head coach, that shouldn't be your concern anyway. Your job is to oversee the game plans, ensure your staff is getting their groups ready to perform it during the week, and that you can bring the team to focus on what is needed on game day. Too many head coaches try to retain all the control, but that rarely works well for an extended period. When MM sticks to what he does best, he is one of the top ten coaches in the league.

Like he did with ST play for over a decade here !!!

CaptainKickass
10-20-2021, 12:06 PM
I liked him. But once they're open every cracker gets stale after a while. He stayed fresh longer than most it seems.