PDA

View Full Version : Gootbag 2021 Review

call_me_ishmael
10-20-2021, 10:42 AM
1. Punter trade - A+
2. Signing the MLB dude - A+
3. Getting the goat back - B
4. Fucking up the Z situation - C

Overall Gootbag is having one hell of a 2021.

Joemailman
10-20-2021, 11:18 AM
Not sure about 4. He didn't give an extension to a guy who has now had back surgery. Don't know if he was smart or lucky (Not sure when he knew about the bad back),but seems like the right move.

King Friday
10-20-2021, 11:32 AM
Yeah...Gute sure didn't screw up on the Z situation. We got the rest of his good years already, and it will likely be all downhill from here. Better that someone else pay a premium price for that decreased production. I give Gute an A on that for avoiding the hefty contract and giving up hope that we might keep both Rodgers and Adams.

On the Rodgers front, I can't give a grade yet. If Rodgers and Adams walk after this season, even if they get a title on the way out, Gute gets a failing grade. Those are both players who are elite at their position and still have 3-4 more good years left in them.

CaptainKickass
10-20-2021, 12:03 PM
Here's a question: Is there a current GM other than Brian "Whatchoo talkin bout" Willis Gutekunst you'd prefer?

Anti-Polar Bear
10-20-2021, 12:15 PM
Kyle Fuller is buried on the Donkeys’ depth chart. German Shepherd signed Fuller a few years back; Mobsters of the Midway matched the offer.

Trade for Fuller…OBJ, and German Shepherd gets an A for 2021.

Upnorth
10-20-2021, 01:15 PM
I think gute is currently and has been an all pro GM. Not certain who ranks better, maybe Tampa or rams.

Joemailman
10-20-2021, 01:19 PM
Kyle Fuller is buried on the Donkeys’ depth chart. German Shepherd signed Fuller a few years back; Mobsters of the Midway matched the offer.

Trade for Fuller…OBJ, and German Shepherd gets an A for 2021.

OBJ is old and hurt. Fuller is a FA after this year and has a 9.5M contract. Now if Denver were to release him...

Fritz
10-20-2021, 04:27 PM
Oren Burks - 3d round. Josh Jackson - 2nd round Jace Furburger - 3rd round.

Some definite schwings and misses. But Guter does seem to be able to part ways with his mistakes and to churn the roster in an attempt to shore up weak areas.

He did though royally fug up the Rodgers thing. Would it really be that hard to make Aaron Rodgers feel like he was a part of things? Use him to recruit free agents? Ask him who he thinks the #5 or 6 receiver should be, and at least listen?

The jury's still out for me. He didn't hire MLF, either, which would've been a feather in his cap.

Oh, and after years of people bitching that Ted was too careful about the salary cap, Gutes has spent like a drunken sailor, and despite the fantasies of posters like Tex, that is a real problem. A real problem. If they win the SB this year, is it worth it? Maybe. Ted won a SB without doing that. But maybe it's worth it. But you all will be complaining bitterly when that sal cap bites the team in the arse.

I'm not against him, and I'm not for him. He has certainly made some good moves, but the jury is still out for me. Let's see how he handles this Rodgers thing going forward.

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2021, 04:45 PM
The jury's still out for me. He didn't hire MLF, either, which would've been a feather in his cap.

I think he probably had the most say in that hire. I doubt Murphy hires MLF without Gute being on board--or even likely driving the train.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Brian-Gutekunst-Matt-LaFleur-believe--128120730/

“Most of that was just talking to people who had coached with Matt, worked with him,” Gutekunst said. “Then his presence in the (interview) room was positive as well. He had the whole offense (while) working for a defensive head coach this past year in Tennessee. Him actively seeking that opportunity and doing that this year made me feel pretty good about it.

“… My contacts down there in Tennessee, listening to them speak about how he ran the offensive meeting room. He’s worked with a bunch of different kinds of quarterbacks is important as well. Those are some of the things you’re never going to completely know until you have the guy in the building doing it, but your best bet is talking with the people that worked with him.”

Ultimately, it was Murphy who made the final decision, but Gutekunst played a big role in the hiring. And based on what Murphy said during the introductory press conference, him and Gutekunst are on the same page when it comes to hiring LaFleur.

George Cumby
10-20-2021, 05:11 PM
Here's a question: Is there a current GM other than Brian "Whatchoo talkin bout" Willis Gutekunst you'd prefer?

Is Newsome still running the show in Baltimore? He's pretty gud.

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2021, 05:35 PM
Is Newsome still running the show in Baltimore? He's pretty gud.

I’m pretty sure he retired.

texaspackerbacker
10-20-2021, 06:10 PM
True, he gets A+ on the punter and Campbell, potential for A on Jaylon Smith and Mercilus.

If he can't keep Rodgers in Green Bay for a lot more years, though, that would outweigh all the good- yes, even if we win a Super Bowl this season.

George Cumby
10-20-2021, 06:11 PM
You are correct.

It's DeCosta.

For a couple years now.