PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Mercilus slated to sign with Packers

Spaulding
10-20-2021, 01:23 PM
Score! Seems like luck is on our side again as we're severely depleted at OLB with Z and P out and now Mercilus falls into our lap.

Love this signing as although he's a declining player, he's still a consumate pro and savy veteran on the cheap much like Jaylon we just signed.

All we need now is for a decent CB to be cut by someone to replenish that position barring Jaire recovering.

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2021, 01:26 PM
Declining, but I feel better about the position now. Garviin has shown he deserves some snaps, but I don't want him playing full-time snaps. This gives us good depth when Preston comes back (Gary, Preston, Mercilus, Garvin)--even if Big Z doesn't come back.

If we get good news on the injury front (specifically Bakh and Jaire), I'll be feeling good about this team come playoff time

call_me_ishmael
10-20-2021, 02:03 PM
Love this move. I love how Gootbag is willing to improve the back-ups relentlessly. Keep trying to get better!

Joemailman
10-20-2021, 02:17 PM
Definitely doesn't get the kind of pressure still used to. Still, 3 sacks in 6 games despite playing just 52% of snaps. Going from Houston to Green Bay should result in a motivated team-first kind of player.

Upnorth
10-20-2021, 02:39 PM
As depth he is going to help. I pray he doesn't have to start

run pMc
10-20-2021, 03:57 PM
He was playing as a 4-3 DE in Lovie Smith's scheme this year, so IDK how much that impacts things. He's a more natural 3-4 OLB I'd think. Would be great to get P & Z back -- with Gary, that would be a pretty good 4 deep group.
Garvin might be coming along with all these snaps he's getting.

Either way, this move tells me that P probably doesn't play this week, and Z might be done this year. I'm not even sure WM will play vs. WAS, given he'll have 1 or maybe 2 days to practice, but going forward it's a good move.

Fritz
10-20-2021, 04:22 PM
He was playing as a 4-3 DE in Lovie Smith's scheme this year, so IDK how much that impacts things. He's a more natural 3-4 OLB I'd think. Would be great to get P & Z back -- with Gary, that would be a pretty good 4 deep group.
Garvin might be coming along with all these snaps he's getting.

Either way, this move tells me that P probably doesn't play this week, and Z might be done this year. I'm not even sure WM will play vs. WAS, given he'll have 1 or maybe 2 days to practice, but going forward it's a good move.

People seem to be writing off Dr. Z already, like he's unnecessary, but he was the team's best pass rusher the past two years. I know back surgery is a big damn deal, but I am hoping perhaps he can get back for the last game or two of the season, then be ready for the playoffs. I think if a SB is the goal, he's going to be a necessary component once you get into those playoffs.

Same for Jaire, except times two.

texaspackerbacker
10-20-2021, 06:01 PM
This is a good move. I'm not even sure Mercilus is declining. At worst, he's a rotation player at an important position. If he's anywhere near what he was just a year or two ago, we got somebody special.

MadScientist
10-20-2021, 10:22 PM
I remember really wanting the Packers to draft him in 2012, but Houston grabbed him first and we got stuck with Perri. He may not be great, but he should help stabilize the position.

King Friday
10-21-2021, 07:28 AM
Tough to evaluate anyone playing for the Texans... That is a dumpster fire. To me, he seems closer to JAG than an impact player, but considering our current situation it is a decent roll of the dice to see what he can do in our system.

CaptainKickass
10-21-2021, 09:29 AM
This is pretty god damn great. I didn't even have to work very hard at finding a nickname.

I'll just call him:

MING

https://s3.amazonaws.com/comicgeeks/comics/covers/large-9968285.jpg?1363175434

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-b72t4x/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/5482/10427/FA531-2__39862.1631986222.jpg?c=2

https://bunker158.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/flash-gordon-big-chief-studios-bunker158-sixth-scale-Ming-the-Merciless-3.jpg

Anti-Polar Bear
10-21-2021, 09:23 PM
Great. Now when the Packers play the Queens, there will be two players on the field with chick names.

Why do people name their sons “Danielle” and “Whitney”?

SMH. :x

texaspackerbacker
10-22-2021, 12:57 PM
Maybe it's the "boy named Sue" thing - need to be tough to survive hahahaha.

texaspackerbacker
10-22-2021, 10:53 PM
In the first six weeks of this season, Whitney Mercilus had 3 sacks. That compares to Chase Young having 1.5 sacks.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-23-2021, 03:10 AM
In the first six weeks of this season, Whitney Mercilus had 3 sacks. That compares to Chase Young having 1.5 sacks.

I am glad “Ming” (Mercilus) landed in the Green and Musta Yella, but sacks don’t always paint the macro picture. Pretty sure everyone and their baby’s mamas would pick Young over Ming during recess football at this point in space-time.

texaspackerbacker
10-23-2021, 09:52 AM
True, but I guess he wasn't available.

run pMc
10-23-2021, 11:34 AM
Rashan Gary and Preston Smith are better players right now.

in 205 snaps for a bad HOU D, BobbyandWhitney has 3 sacks, 3QB hits, 4 TFL
in 150 snaps, Jonathon Garvin has 1.5 sacks, 4 QB hits, 1 TFL

He's basically on Garvin's level, which isn't nothing, but isn't a lot either. It gives them depth and a good locker room/community guy with a veteran presence at a very cheap price.

Going from one of the worst teams to one of the best should also help his motivation/performance. They can ease Preston along and get Mercilus going as a DPR or in specific pressure packages. OLB responsibilties are allegedly easier to learn than ILB, but IMO this is a better signing than Jaylon Smith.

And yes, I'd take Chase Young over Mercilus, but anyone would. Young is a beast and last year's DROY.

texaspackerbacker
10-23-2021, 12:52 PM
Obviously Mercilus is not as good as the #2 overall pick in the draft just a year or two ago. I was just pointing out that he has twice as many sacks even playing with less quality talent around him. I expect Mercilus to be an excellent player for the Packers - significantly better than P. Smith and Garvin, at least as good as Gary. Make that a prediction.

run pMc
10-23-2021, 02:43 PM
Obviously Mercilus is not as good as the #2 overall pick in the draft just a year or two ago. I was just pointing out that he has twice as many sacks even playing with less quality talent around him. I expect Mercilus to be an excellent player for the Packers - significantly better than P. Smith and Garvin, at least as good as Gary. Make that a prediction.

"significantly better than P. Smith and Garvin, at least as good as Gary"? I don't think that will happen but I'd be very happy to be wrong. I have lower expectations (better than Garvin, not as good as Preston) so if your prediction is correct there should be a lot of Packer fans happy about that signing.
Either way, he was the best veteran OLB on the market so getting him on a cheap deal is a good move.

texaspackerbacker
10-23-2021, 05:22 PM
I stand by my prediction.

bobblehead
10-24-2021, 06:22 AM
I'm much more optimistic about this signing the I am about Jaylon chase and tackle. Ming can still play some meaningful and impactful snaps. Definate upgrade in a place we need it. I think those that are being cautious with their optimism will be pleased. Of course everyone here is correct in that we aren't landing a pro bowl player.

texaspackerbacker
10-24-2021, 07:58 AM
I say again, don't bet against it. Some people either haven't seen this guy play - recently - or seem to be somehow scared to come out and say it and maybe be wrong - that seems to happen a lot in here with some people. Jaylon Smith is still a damn good player too - way better than any ILB the Packers have had in recent years until Campbell came along. These are two massive upgrades to our D.

Fritz
10-26-2021, 07:15 AM
I think the writers were surprised at how many snaps Mercilus got in his first game as a Packer.

I don't know how well Pylon Smith played at ILB, but I know he did get a few snaps as well.

run pMc
10-26-2021, 10:16 AM
I think the writers were surprised at how many snaps Mercilus got in his first game as a Packer.

I don't know how well Pylon Smith played at ILB, but I know he did get a few snaps as well.

He modestly outplayed Garvin, and got at least 1 pressure (no hits, no sacks) in 31 snaps. He should only get better as he settles in. I figured he'd get 15 snaps or so, but with P.Smith out he was probably pressed into action.

HarveyWallbangers
10-26-2021, 11:44 AM
PFF had him for 4 pressures, but their pressure stats seem a bit inflated. According to them, Gary had 10 pressures in the game.

run pMc
10-26-2021, 12:19 PM
PFF had him for 4 pressures, but their pressure stats seem a bit inflated. According to them, Gary had 10 pressures in the game.

Yeah, I saw 4 pressures one place, profootball-reference has him for 1 so I'm not sure ... so I couched it by saying "at least" one... I've also seen Gary have anywhere between 7 and 10 pressures, which is a lot either way.
Pressures matter... they eventually turn into sacks. I forget what the average ratio of pressures : sack is, but Gary was due. If Mercilus got pressures 4 in 31 snaps, that pressure rate's a little low but I'd think his production will improve as he gets more acclimated to the scheme.

texaspackerbacker
10-26-2021, 12:22 PM
Mercilus got blocked pretty well. Whether that was him being deficient or the OT being good it's hard to tell. I'm thinking/hoping he does even better when he has more time to learn the D.

Outplaying Garvin is not nothing. Garvin is shaping up to be a very decent player. Didn't be come out early and is extra young for his time in the league?

I saw Jaylon Smith rush from the outside just one time. If he played ILB, he sure wasn't very noticeable. Did he get injured or something?

smuggler
10-29-2021, 02:41 AM
Got one hit on Murray in the game last night. Jaylon Smith was inactive. Didn't see anything from Garvin.

texaspackerbacker
10-29-2021, 04:36 AM
Yeah, it seemed like there was very little rotation at OLB, and either our guys faded or Arizona adjusted late in the game to what we were doing. Our pass rush did do a good job of containing Murray, though.

bobblehead
11-02-2021, 05:28 PM
I say again, don't bet against it. Some people either haven't seen this guy play - recently - or seem to be somehow scared to come out and say it and maybe be wrong - that seems to happen a lot in here with some people. Jaylon Smith is still a damn good player too - way better than any ILB the Packers have had in recent years until Campbell came along. These are two massive upgrades to our D.

I guess by being overly optimistic on every player that comes along you are bound to be right sometimes....but the failures of one Jaylon Smith stand tall.

texaspackerbacker
11-03-2021, 02:17 AM
Just like a piss ant like you to bring up this. Obviously they had a reason for dumping Jaylon Smith. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't football related - something we may or not hear about eventually. I say again, Smith's performance with the Cowboys didn't give any indication that he wasn't still damn good. Hell yeah, I'm thinking positive about Mercilus too. And I was in favor of Campbell before most others in here, and Rasul Douglas too - I don't remember if I said it or just thought it. And Tonyan earlier and more than most.

You aren't seriously saying I'm "overly optimistic on every player that comes along" after all I've said about Kevin King and of course, Bakhtiari, also Sternburger, maybe Jordan Love, probably a lot of others? Some people (you?) don't seem to have the balls to make a judgment one way or the other.

For the record, I was wrong several years ago about Marcedes Lewis too. And I've been fairly optimistic about Burks - who may or may not be a bust. Currently, I'm not very optimistic about DeGuara. I'd be pleased to be proven about him, though.

smuggler
11-03-2021, 03:36 AM
No, I think Smith is a good locker room guy, he just can't move like he used to and he was getting hung out to dry by his failing movement skills. Sucks because a lot of it is residual from his nasty leg injury that he suffered in college, but those are the breaks and we're here to field a winning football team, not win sympathy points from Notre Dame fans and Smith's family. He's not competitive on the roster and he has no upside, so he's out.

Fritz
11-03-2021, 04:54 AM
No, I think Smith is a good locker room guy, he just can't move like he used to and he was getting hung out to dry by his failing movement skills. Sucks because a lot of it is residual from his nasty leg injury that he suffered in college, but those are the breaks and we're here to field a winning football team, not win sympathy points from Notre Dame fans and Smith's family. He's not competitive on the roster and he has no upside, so he's out.

Spoken like an NFL GM.

That's some cold truth right there.

bobblehead
11-03-2021, 09:14 AM
Just like a piss ant like you to bring up this. Obviously they had a reason for dumping Jaylon Smith. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't football related - something we may or not hear about eventually. I say again, Smith's performance with the Cowboys didn't give any indication that he wasn't still damn good. Hell yeah, I'm thinking positive about Mercilus too. And I was in favor of Campbell before most others in here, and Rasul Douglas too - I don't remember if I said it or just thought it. And Tonyan earlier and more than most.

You aren't seriously saying I'm "overly optimistic on every player that comes along" after all I've said about Kevin King and of course, Bakhtiari, also Sternburger, maybe Jordan Love, probably a lot of others? Some people (you?) don't seem to have the balls to make a judgment one way or the other.

For the record, I was wrong several years ago about Marcedes Lewis too. And I've been fairly optimistic about Burks - who may or may not be a bust. Currently, I'm not very optimistic about DeGuara. I'd be pleased to be proven about him, though.

Come on Tex, don't be so sensitive. Our wins and losses are fair game to mock on a fan site. I mock myself when I get one really wrong, don't think for a second I'm not going to give you shit. You are correct, you occassionally dump on a player like Bak if it helps your narrative on Rodgers not needing any blocking to win. And I was referring to us bringing in outsiders, not Love or King who we all watch every week.

I don't take a stand? I would say I make my opinion known and clear on about every subject that comes along.