PDA

View Full Version : Tragedy hits a Montreal College Again - Wed. 13 Sept. 2006

woodbuck27
09-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Gunman and young woman die in shooting rampage at Montreal College

Thu Sep 14, 4:59 AM

By Dene Moore And Alexander Panetta

MONTREAL (CP) - A trenchcoat-clad shooter with a scowl and a Mohawk haircut turned a college cafeteria into a combat zone with a commando-style assault that left him and a young woman dead Wednesday.

Carrying an automatic rifle, two other guns, and dressed head to toe in black, the man stormed into the sprawling downtown Dawson College and began coldly cutting down students. Ninteen people were wounded, five critically.

Several published reports identified the gunman as Kimveer Gill, 25, of Laval, north of Montreal. Police would not confirm the gunman's identity.

An online image gallery on Gill's blog contains more than 50 photos depicting the young man in various poses holding a Baretta CX4 Storm semi-automatic rifle and donning a long black trenchcoat and combat boots.

"His name is Trench. you will come to know him as the Angel of Death," he wrote on his vampirefreaks.com profile.

Hundreds of screaming and sobbing students spilled out onto the city streets in the shadow of the fabled Montreal Forum hockey arena after the first shots were fired on Wednesday.

Inside, the cafeteria was transformed for 15 minutes into a shooting gallery in a scene eerily reminiscent of the city's 1989 Ecole Polytechnique massacre in which 14 women were killed.

The gunman took cover behind a row of vending machines and exchanged gunfire with police while petrified students dropped to the floor in an effort to elude the barrage of bullets.

Surrounded by police, he repeatedly barked a single order each time the officers inched toward him: "Get back! Get back!"

The exchange ended with the attacker slumped on the floor, collapsed in a hail of gunfire.

The dead student was identified in published reports as Anastasia DeSousa, 18, of Montreal. Police would not confirm her identity.

There have been conflicting reports about how the gunman was shot and killed.

Police Chief Yvan Delorme said that officers killed the gunman. However, witnesses told La Presse he shot himself in the head after police a bullet struck him in the leg. Officers then dragged him outside, where he died on the street.

Delorme said the attacker sprayed gunfire at random targets. He said provincial police had been called in to investigate, which is customary in a killing involving the local force.

"The only thing I can say is that he was a young man of Canadian origin," Delorme said.

He said police were able to respond quickly because two officers were already at the college on a drug-related matter when they heard gunshots and took action right away.

Delorme said the lessons learned from the Montreal Massacre about the need to co-ordinate emergency services and act promptly helped save lives.

"Before our technique was to establish a perimeter around the place and wait for the SWAT team. Now the first police officers go right inside. The way they acted saved lives (today)."

The gunman stormed into the school over the lunch hour, with a scowl on his face and an automatic weapon in his hands.

"He looked really mad," said Mathieu Dominique, 17, who was having a cigarette by the door when the shooter burst in less than three metres away from him.

"He was really into (the) shooting. . . He looked like he really wanted to kill people. . . . It was like, bullet after bullet. It was like a burst - like at least six shots in two seconds."

Another student, Soher Marous, said the gunman said nothing when he entered the college.

"He had a stone-cold face, there was nothing on his face." Marous said. "He didn't yell out any slogans or anything. He just started opening fire. He was a cold-blooded killer."

The gunman continued firing away as he approached the cafeteria. Andrea Barone was sitting there after lunch with his girlfriend when he heard shots ring out.

"At first I thought it was a firecracker," said Barone, 17. "Then I turned around and I saw him. He was dressed in a black trenchcoat and I saw his hand firing a handgun in every direction."

Barone said all the students hit the floor to take cover.

A police officer emerged within seconds from a corner next to the cafeteria and fired on the gunman, he said. The shot missed.

A few more police officers showed up, taking cover behind a wall beside the cafeteria. The gunman was surrounded with his back to the vending machines.

Many students, meanwhile, were trapped in the line of fire.

Barone said it was like a running battle with five or six shots fired in both directions every minute but he said the officers were hesitant to move in because of the students.

Another witness said students began snapping photos and capturing videos from their cell-phone cameras as they watched the scene from a third-floor balcony.

That's when the gunman put a scare into them.

"The shooter sees us - and he shoots upwards," said Gianni Petrella, 17.

"He shoots the ceiling and you could feel little pieces of cement falling down. Dust."

Within minutes, the attacker was hit during a barrage of at least six shots fired into the cafeteria, Barone said. Police then helped the students leave the area, crawling out on their bellies along a wall.

Barone said as they were crawling out toward an exit they saw a girl who had been shot in the torso and who was face down in a pool of blood.

He said officers told them: 'Don't look, don't look. Keep going out.' Montreal police said one young woman died but gave no details.

Police at one point warned students to lie on the ground again amid fears there could be another gunman. Although early reports suggested there could have been several suspects, police said there was only one.

"For now, I am limiting it to one suspect who died after a police intervention on site," Delorme told a news conference.

Delorme did not give details of the gunfire exchange between police and the suspect.

Ambulance and hospital officials said the shooting victims included men and women.

Delorme dismissed suggestions that race or terrorism played a role.

"There's no information that leads us to believe that it's something other than what happened at the scene."

The streets around the school filled with hysterical students in the minutes and hours after the shooting.

Devansh Shri Vastava said he was in the cafeteria when a man dressed in black combat clothing stormed in and began shooting at people.

"He had a laser gun or something, a big rifle, and he just started shooting at people," he said.

"We all ran upstairs. There were cops firing. It was so crazy. I was terrified. The guy was shooting at people randomly. He didn't care he was just shooting at everybody. I just got out."

Derick Osei, 19, said he also saw the gunman.

"I just got out of class and I was walking down the stairs," Osei said.

"He had one of them SWAT army guns and just started shooting up the place. I ran up to the third floor and I looked down and he was still shooting. He was hiding behind the vending machines and he came out with a gun.

Osei said he saw a girl shot in the leg before he ran upstairs to escape.

"At first he was shooting around the caf and he looked up and saw there were people on the third floor and he started aiming for the third floor. I thought 'I am not trying to get shot' so I got out."

The shootings recalled Marc Lepine's murderous rampage at Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique school on Dec. 6, 1989, when he opened fire and ended up killing 14 women.

Another shooting in Montreal occurred in Montreal in 1992 when Concordia University professor Valery Fabrikant killed four colleagues.

Ann Lynch, chief of clinical operations at Montreal General Hospital, said 11 patients were brought in, eight in critical condition. Less critically wounded were taken to three other area hospitals as well.

"The nature of the injuries are all gunshot wounds to the abdomen, to the chest, one head injury and also several to the limbs, peripheral limbs, arms and legs," she said.

"At this point we are certainly watching all the patients extremely carefully and certainly the team will be doing its utmost for each and every one of those patients."

Lynch said the emergency room was a steady stream of red-eyed students looking for information about friends.

The hospital had a team of social workers providing support to family members.

In Ottawa, Prime Minister Stephen Harper called the shootings a "cowardly and senseless act."

"Our primary concern right now is to ensure the safety and recovery of all those who were injured during this tragedy," Harper said in a statement.

"On behalf of the government of Canada and all Canadians, our thoughts and prayers are with the injured and their loved ones, and to the students and staff of the college who are all victims of this terrible tragedy."

The shootings disrupted traffic in and around the area and also led to the closure of several subway stations for several hours.

Dawson is a junior college which is attended by students after Grade 11 because there is no Grade 12 in Quebec. The institution is home to about 7,000 students who are usually enrolled in a two-year pre-university program or a three-year technical program.

In Montreal, Premier Jean Charest called it a sad day.

"Today there wasn't a Quebecer who didn't stop what they were doing to find out what was happening at Dawson College," he said after arriving from Quebec City.

"Our life was literally stopped today."

School officials said the college will remain closed until Monday.

woodbuck27
09-14-2006, 02:31 PM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/ca.yimg.com/p/060914/capress/i1158252180135376023.jpg

THERE's a PIC, of " the... ONCE UPON A TIME... CREEP ".

CP Photo:

Kimveer Gill, of Laval, north of the city of Montreal proper, is shown in this undated photo.

Partial
09-14-2006, 02:33 PM
:sad:

woodbuck27
09-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Thu Sep 14, 5:31 AM

By Lauren Krugel

(CP) - In an online blog, Kimveer Gill includes a photo of a tombstone with his name printed on it - below it the phrase: "Lived fast died young. Left a mangled corpse."

The blog, posted on an online hub of goth culture, paints a dark portrait of the 25-year-old man published reports have identified as the trenchcoat-wearing gunman who opened fire on students at Montreal's Dawson College Wednesday, killing one and injuring 19 others.

Gill's image gallery, which contains more than 50 photos, depicts the young man in various poses holding a Baretta CX4 Storm semi-automatic rifle and donning a long black trenchcoat and combat boots.

"His name is Trench. you will come to know him as the Angel of Death," he wrote on his vampirefreaks.com profile.

"He is not a people person. He has met a handfull (sic) of people in his life who are decent." But he writes that he finds the vast majority to be "worthless, no good, kniving, betraying lieing (sic), deceptive."

The last of Gill's six journal entries Wednesday was posted at 10:41 a.m, about two hours before the gunmen was shot dead after the college shooting.

In the latest one, Gill extols the virtues of a morning quaff of whisky. Other posts Wednesday deal with topics as mundane as dry contact lenses, purple freezies, and eating eggs and toast for breakfast.

It is not clear when the photographs were posted.

The blog's prominent photo shows a close up of Gill curled into the fetal position, his intense brown eyes peering into the camera from between his bent knees.

"Rock and Roll baby!" reads the caption below another photo, tongue outstretched, holding up a black semi-automatic weapon with one hand and making the sign of the devil with another.

"I think I have an obbsetion (sic) with guns . . . muahahaha," is the inscription below another picture of Gill aiming the barrel of the gun at the camera.

"Anger and hatred simmers within me," said another caption below a head shot of Gill grimacing.

The site also has lengthly lists of likes and dislikes. On the "likes" list are: first-person-shooter video games, "Super Psycho Maniacs roaming the streets freely," massacres, trenchcoats, destruction and "crushing my enemies skulls."

He also shows a penchant for semi-automatic handguns, combat shotguns, sawed-off shotguns, assault rifles and myriad other weapons.

He dislikes: "The world and everything in it."

"But to be more specific," he continues, he hates jocks, preps, country music, Hip Hop, "all those who oppose my rule."

Gill seems to harbour particular disdain for authority, including police, "all the government on Earth," "bible-thumping know-it-alls" and God.

Gills list of favourite music groups is a who's who of heavy metal: Ozzy Osbourne, Marilyn Manson, Iron Maiden, Danzig and Metallica, but only the "old stuff."

His favourite movies list includes mostly gory horror films. He enjoys violent video games including the controversial "Postal," a first-person shooter game, in which the protagonist goes on a killing spree while completing everyday errands.

A questionnaire on the blog reveals both banal and disturbing insights into Gill's life.

He likes drinking, owns 300 CDs, prefers Burger King over MacDonalds and says "heavy metal rules."

He writes that he is 6-foot-1, was born in Montreal and is of Indian heritage. His weakness is laziness and he fears nothing. A goal he'd like to achieve by the end of the year is to stay alive.

However, responding to the question, "How do you want to die?" Gill replied "like Romeo and Juliet - or in a hail of gunfire."

Comment woodbuck27:

How did it get to this?

I feel as a member of the Greater Montreal Society, and living not far from where this young man grew to harbour such intense anger and hatred. That finally exploded as now we know it did.

That I somehow share in the shame of this pointless tragedy.

How did he get to the point of no return...to where Kimveer Gill finally decided to punish innocent people, and suffer such intense pain on the victim's loved one's?

What must be done, to at least try to lessen the chance that another human being will arrive where this 25 year old and now deceased lost soul got to?

That is the question I've been asking myself since this tragic story broke.The effect on me has been somewhat numbing as I deal with the normal shock of such a painful event.

We live in such troubled times.We are aware of gun violence among inner City youths.The prevalence of peer pressure and it's painful consequences .The degree of young teens (even children) who abuse themselves with drugs and booze.The FREE sex and the spread of STD's and the fact that AID's has a firm grip and spreading; as the Government neglects to continue advertising Campaigns to act as a deterrent to assist in reducing the proliferation of AIDS.

Too many Single parent Families where the children are deemed Latch key and free to do whatever they please behind the caregivers back.

Mother's / Father's that really believe their offspring are good and under control, when often the opposite is "the TRUTH".

Deciding to raise a Family is getting to be a proposition of extreme challenge that gets moreso challenging every decade because of all the temptations and the fact that a majority of OUR citizens practise NO Faith .

Where is it going as more and more we seem to be ignoring the proper maturation and best interests of OUR next generation.

It wasn't like it is now in my period of becoming an adult.It's far worse far more challenging and far more stessful on OUR youth.

Where is it going isn't the question that we need to ask ourselves.Rather I suggest that we ask this question:

How do we slow it down, if not make it stop?

I still feel somewhat stunned/sad over this senseless tragedy. We all in one sense, in one time or another have to deal with this pain.

If you imagine that you can't be touched by it's immenent presence.

PLEASE... inform me of YOUR way of finding yourself so fortunate.

My Name Is Ed.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-14-2006, 02:35 PM
What was the first tragedy? That the students were in Montreal?

woodbuck27
09-14-2006, 02:42 PM
What was the first tragedy? That the students were in Montreal?

It's in the top story Tyrone Bigguns but a long ways down in the script.

Here it is:

" The shootings recalled Marc Lepine's murderous rampage at Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique school on Dec. 6, 1989, when he opened fire and ended up killing 14 women. ...

Another shooting in Montreal occurred in 1992 when Concordia University professor Valery Fabrikant killed four colleagues. "

woodbuck27
09-14-2006, 02:49 PM
WHO Was . . . Marc Lepine

By the age of twenty-five French-Canadian Marc Lepine had developed a deep and bitter hatred of women; or, more accurately, he was peeved because they did not like him. And, to be truthful, the cause was not difficult to identify - Lepine had a fanatical obsession with war and violence, and it showed; though he had a number of girlfriends none of them hung around for very long, and even female neighbours avoided his company. Perhaps it was the skull in the window that gave the game away, or the ceaseless sound of battle that vibrated from the room in which he watched non-stop a collection of war films. The result of Marc Lepine’s feelings of rejection was that, like most mass and many serial killers, he found the convenient scapegoat - feminists, or rather any woman who dared to think and speak for herself, especially when the word was goodbye. It is difficult to know how long Lepine would have been able to contain the growing anger and frustration had one of his girlfriends not become pregnant. This suited Marc Lepine quite well. It meant, for a start, that the mother was less likely to leave him, and it would also provide him with another human being to bully. Things turned decidedly sour when Lepine’s girlfriend insisted on her right to have the pregnancy terminated - this was militant feminism if ever he heard it; for Marc Lepine it was the final straw.

On a day in December 1989, Lepine burst into a classroom at the University of Montreal with an automatic gun in his hand - just as he imagined it felt in the films that had helped turn his fragile mind. First, he ordered the male students to one side of the room and the women to the other; then, shouting a few barely coherent curses against feminists, Lepine opened fire into the crowd of terrified women students. He claimed fourteen lives before turning the gun on himself.

In the wake of the massacre, two further revealing pieces of information were added to the Marc Lepine story. It turned out that earlier in the same year, 1989, he had been rejected for a place at the University of Montreal’s engineering faculty. There had also been an earlier rejection: the Canadian Armed forces which he so admired turned him down as a recruit - they thought he was mentally unstable.

Murder victims

Geneviève Bergeron (b. 1968), civil engineering student.

Hélène Colgan (b. 1966), mechanical engineering student.

Nathalie Croteau (b. 1966), mechanical engineering student.

Barbara Daigneault (b. 1967) mechanical engineering student.

Anne-Marie Edward (b. 1968), chemical engineering student.

Maud Haviernick (b. 1960), materials engineering student.

Maryse Laganière (b. 1964), budget clerk in the École Polytechnique's finance department.

Maryse Leclair (b. 1966), materials engineering student.

Anne-Marie Lemay (b. 1967), mechanical engineering student.

Sonia Pelletier (b. 1966), mechanical engineering student.

Michèle Richard (b. 1968), materials engineering student.

Annie St-Arneault (b. 1966), mechanical engineering student.

Annie Turcotte (b. 1968), materials engineering student.

Barbara Klucznik-Widajewicz (b. 1958), nursing student.

woodbuck27
09-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Who is Valery Fabrikant:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2d/Fabrikant.jpeg

Fabrikant taken to a hospital because of chest pain.

Valery Fabrikant (born 1940 in Minsk, USSR), is a former associate professor of mechanical engineering at Concordia University. He is known for his murder of four colleagues.

Born in the Soviet Union, he immigrated to Canada in 1979 and began teaching at Concordia in 1980. Fabrikant blamed his colleagues for his being denied tenure on four successive occasions and for attempting to have his employment terminated. He also accused the university of tolerating the practice of academics being listed as co-authors on papers to which they have not contributed; in 1992 he went to court to try to have the names of several colleagues removed from research papers he had written in the 1980s.

A campaign of harassment aimed at members of faculty culminated in a shooting rampage on August 24, 1992 on the ninth floor of the Henry F. Hall building at Concordia. Killed in the shooting spree were Departmental Chair Phoivos Ziogas and Professors Matthew Douglass, Michael Hogben, and Jaan Saber. A departmental staff secretary, Elizabeth Horwood, was injured. Fabrikant believes that these killings were justified and that anyone else faced with a similar situation would have followed his actions. Fabrikant writes on his website: "I hope to be remembered as a person who had enough courage to fight lawlessness with deadly force and I hope to encourage others to do the same."[citation needed]

Fabrikant represented himself at his trial. After several weeks of eccentric behaviour, the judge suspended the proceedings in order to conduct a hearing into Fabrikant's mental fitness to stand trial. He was eventually found fit, and after five months of proceedings he was found guilty of first-degree murder and sentenced to life imprisonment.

Fabrikant is serving his sentence at Archambault Prison in Sainte-Anne-Des-Plaines. He has been reportedly continuing his academic research from within prison.[1] Fabrikant is a notable usenet user known for posting in newsgroups, particularly can.general and can.politics, claiming that he is the innocent victim of a conspiracy against him.

The Fabrikant incident resulted in a series of investigations and a formalization of research ethics guidelines by Canada's research funding agencies. An investigation on the conduct of the faculty in Fabrikant's department revealed that some of Fabrikant's claims were indeed true. The three researchers who were the primary target of Fabrikant's allegations have since had their research accounts frozen by NSERC for misappropriating research funds and have been forced to take early retirement.

justanotherpackfan
09-14-2006, 05:04 PM
This guy obviously had some serious problems and his head couldn't of been right. The devil got to him before anybody could help.

Violence is the thing I hate most and the thing that bothers me most and it should be for everybody. I personally refuse to learn how to shoot a gun even though I have a rough idea with handguns. A real man doesn't deal with his problems by carrying weapons or doing anything rash.

How can people like horror films? I watched Saw and after that decided I'd never watch a horror movie again. I found the movie deeply disturbing and it took me almost a year to get over the footage. At parties I will workout instead of watching that sh*t. All my friends were watching Saw 2 and said I was scared when really I didn't want to see any of that disturbing, nasty sh*t they call horror movies.

Badgepack
09-14-2006, 05:22 PM
I can watch horror movies, it's just a movie,

but I can't watch real violence like Faces of Death or the beheadings on the I-net.

justanotherpackfan
09-14-2006, 05:37 PM
I can watch horror movies, it's just a movie,

but I can't watch real violence like Faces of Death or the beheadings on the I-net.
Well, it kind of depends what it is. Like I can't watch stuff like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the Saw movies. Those just bother me but other more mild stuff I don't mind.

digitaldean
09-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Woodbuck,

Sad day in Montreal, in Quebec and in Canada.

From what I've read here today, the shooter was hellbent on doing something.

What a sad, tragic, wasteful event to happen to him, but, more importantly to those poor victims that were in his sights.

Mes condoléances, mon ami. :cry:

BEARMAN
09-14-2006, 09:22 PM
:sad:

woodbuck27
09-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Woodbuck,

Sad day in Montreal, in Quebec and in Canada.

From what I've read here today, the shooter was hellbent on doing something.

What a sad, tragic, wasteful event to happen to him, but, more importantly to those poor victims that were in his sights.

Mes condoléances, mon ami. :cry:

digitaldean:

When we turned on the TV late afternoon yesterday and all the news was regarding this tragedy, again in an Educational Institution. We were in disbelief at first, thinking was this just one of those Anniversery Documentry's, of one of the previous two such tragic events... and then it hits you.

Ohhh no not again.

I'm sorry but I am having difficulty expressing my feelings at this time.

Montreal is a huge City with all sorts of troubled people. It's Cosmopolitan and living here are the V.VERY Rich and too large a population of the poorest of poor souls. I avoid Montreal proper like a plague and it's got so much beauty to offer in many waya ; but there exists an element of people here that really turns me off.

Lots of street people (older and teens) and beggers and far far worse if your not careful.

The question I ask myself. How could this angry young man get to the point of going off, as he did yesterday without anyone foreseeing that possibility and reporting his psychosis?

I detest violence, and especially against women as such a low life cowardly act. Tomorrow I'll write (try to find time to write) a real life anecdote on this thread that hits on the topic of violence against women.

woodbuck27
09-17-2006, 09:18 AM
The mother of Montreal gunman Kimveer Gill said she had no idea her son was in such deep psychological distress before his deadly shooting rampage at Montreal's Dawson College.

CTV.ca News Staff

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/images/Feeds/ctv/ctv_topstoriesV2/160_kimveer_gill_060914.jpg

Kimveer Gill appears in this graduation photo

CTV's Jed Kahane spoke to Gill's mother, Parvinder Kaur, who recalled on Saturday how her knees buckled when police said her son was responsible for killing one woman and wounding 19 other people.

"Her life is shattered, of course," Kahane told CTV Newsnet. Kaur spoke to Kahane on condition she would not appear on camera.

"She says she had no idea her son was harbouring such dark thoughts. And that he wasn't the loner, the outcast that everyone made him out to be -- at least the people who he knew several years ago who have been speaking to us, among others in the past days. But she said he had been depressed, and had even sought help for it a while back."

Kahane added that she could barely speak because she was so distraught, and cares very deeply for those hurt in the shooting spree.

Gill, 25, opened fire at the school on Wednesday, killing 18-year-old Anastasia DeSousa and leaving 19 wounded before police shot him in the arm. He then turned a gun on himself.

One student wondered if bullying prompted Gill's horrific act. One entry on his blog at vampirefreaks.com, written the day before his rampage, called on people to stop making fun of others for the way they dress or act.

"If you're saying something mean to a person, just because he's not like you, stop. Stop right there. Think about how they might react differently emotionally, because it might scar them," said Nita Patel.

Reverend Darryl Gray shared her thoughts, and said society must reach out to youth who feel alienated.

"We're not passionate about saving these kids," said Gray.

"We're really not, to be honest. Sometimes things have to happen to wake us up, and that's unfortunate. Maybe Anastasia's death was a wake-up call, that we have to start paying more attention to these kids."

Friends of DeSousa held a small memorial service for her on Saturday. Her friend Jeremy Bagot helped organize the gathering, which was led by his father Everton Bagot.

"She was very loving and kind. One thing I can say is that she never lacked for real friends," said Bagot.

As a tribute to his slain friend, Bagot performed Amazing Grace on his saxophone. He said she never had a chance to hear him play the instrument.

Both friends and strangers attended the ceremony, and were handed pink flowers by Everton Bagot, in honour of her favourite colour.

"She loved pink," said the minister.

Victims remain in critical condition

Two victims of the Montreal college shooting remain in critical condition, officials at Montreal General Hospital said on Saturday.

"One of the patients is in a much more stable condition over the last day or so but remains in a critical state," Dr. Tarek Razek, the hospital's chief of services for trauma, told reporters.

"Another patient is still in critical condition, more status quo, more stable, but still in a very critical state."

Meanwhile, five other victims being treated remain stable but require ongoing treatment for their wounds, said Tarek, adding that any discharge of these patients this weekend is unlikely.

"It's a day-by-day decision with the patients and their families considering what they're going through as families, as individuals, and medically speaking, in terms of their injuries," he said.

DeSousa's mother, Louise DeSousa, said something has to be done to stop gun violence.

"There are too many cases of this going around and it's not necessary," she said.

Gill used a pistol and restricted Beretta CX4 Storm semi-automatic carbine in the violent rampage, both of which he acquired legally.

Harper has refused to enter a debate on whether the federal long-gun registry should be scrapped, saying it's too soon after the tragedy to debate the issue.

But on Friday, the brother of one of Gill's wounded victims lashed out at the prime minister for refusing to back down on his plans to abolish the registry.

Hassan Kadhim, whose 17-year-old brother lies in hospital with three bullet wounds to the leg, neck and head, wants Prime Minister Stephen Harper to think twice about his decision.

"For (Harper) to talk about removing the registry for guns and maybe making it easier for people to get themselves guns ... And then we see this tragedy happening. I mean, does it take something like this for our prime minister to understand?" Kadhim told CTV News.

"He's sitting in Ottawa, drinking his coffee, taking it easy. And the families here are all paying the price. It's good to be in power, but you've got be responsible for what you say and what you think."

Return to class

Meanwhile, as memories of Wednesday's terror hung in the halls of Dawson College, teachers went back to work on Friday.

All traces of the bloody rampage have been covered up and the bullet holes plastered over before the students return on Tuesday.

"We are going to do whatever we can to make them feel good to come back here," Billy Foyer, Dawson College staff member, told CTV News.

Meanwhile, students appear hesitant about returning to classes next week. Melissa Baril and her friends say they're taking the return one step at a time.

"We started with across the street and we said we'll just look at (the school). Now we're here, and hopefully it will get easier every time we get here," said Baril.

The Montreal college is asking students to come back Monday to pick up books and other belongings they left behind when they rushed out in the chaos.

Counselling will also be available for students. Psychiatrists say most young trauma victims recover remarkably well, provided they talk about their feelings and confront the haunting halls where it all began.

"Even if you don't want to, even if you don't want set foot inside that place again, it's important to your own recovery and the recovery of your kids that they do come back on Monday, when we're there to help them get over those first steps," Dr. Warren Steiner of the McGill University Health Centre told CTV News.

With a report by CTV's Jed Kahane and files from The Canadian Press

Comment woodbuck27:

How did it get to this?

I feel as a member of the Greater Montreal Society, and living not far from where this young man grew to harbour such intense anger and hatred. That finally exploded as now we know it did.

That I somehow share in the shame of this pointless tragedy.

How did he get to the point of no return...to where Kimveer Gill finally decided to punish innocent people, and suffer such intense pain on the victim's loved one's?

What must be done, to at least try to lessen the chance that another human being will arrive where this 25 year old and now deceased lost soul got to?

That is the question I've been asking myself since this tragic story broke.The effect on me has been somewhat numbing as I deal with the normal shock of such a painful event.

We live in such troubled times.We are aware of gun violence among inner City youths.The prevalence of peer pressure and it's painful consequences .The degree of young teens (even children) who abuse themselves with drugs and booze.The FREE sex and the spread of STD's and the fact that AID's has a firm grip and spreading; as the Government neglects to continue advertising Campaigns to act as a deterrent to assist in reducing the proliferation of AIDS.

Too many Single parent Families where the children are deemed Latch key and free to do whatever they please behind the caregivers back.

Mother's / Father's that really believe their offspring are good and under control, when often the opposite is "the TRUTH".

Deciding to raise a Family is getting to be a proposition of extreme challenge that gets moreso challenging every decade because of all the temptations and the fact that a majority of OUR citizens practise NO Faith .

Where is it going as more and more we seem to be ignoring the proper maturation and best interests of OUR next generation.

It wasn't like it is now in my period of becoming an adult.It's far worse far more challenging and far more stessful on OUR youth.

Where is it going isn't the question that we need to ask ourselves.Rather I suggest that we ask this question:

How do we slow it down, if not make it stop?

I still feel somewhat stunned/sad over this senseless tragedy. We all in one sense, in one time or another have to deal with this pain.

If you imagine that you can't be touched by it's immenent presence.

PLEASE... inform me of YOUR way of finding yourself so fortunate.

My Name Is Ed.