PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers vs. Cardinals Discussion Thread

Joemailman
10-25-2021, 09:22 AM
Packers lead all-time series 47-26-4. However, Packers have lost 4 of the last 5, including overtime playoff losses following 2009 and 2015 seasons. Last meeting was December 2, 2018, Mike McCarthy's last game as Packers coach. Packers lost 20-17 at Lambeau.

Offensively Cardinals are the #4 offense in terms of yards, #2 in points scored. Cardinals are #6 in passing yards and #5 in rushing yards. They are averaging 402 yards of offense, and 32.1 PPG.
Kyler Murray has completed 73.5% of his passes for 2002 yards with 17 TD's and 5 INT's. Chase Edmonds and James Conner have rushed for 397 and 336 yards respectively. DeAndre Hopkins, Christian Kirk and A.J. Green all have over 400 yards receiving for a combined 14 TD's.

Defensively, Arizona ranks 10th in yards given up, and 3rd in points given up. They rank 7th against the pass and 21st against the run. They have allowed just 9 TD passes and have 6 INT's. They are allowing 317 YPG, and 16 PPG.

I think this is probably the toughest single game on the Packers schedule. Packers will need to be able to run the ball to have a chance.

RashanGary
10-25-2021, 09:46 AM
This year reminds me of 2019 when we won ugly but really weren’t contenders against top teams.

This looks like a loss. If we get the OL healthy and jaire, maybe a second meeting would be different. For now, I have this down as a loss.

But crazier things have happened.

Joemailman
10-25-2021, 10:01 AM
Joe Barry has Covid. Will not be at the game Thursday.

That means Barry will be in isolation at least through Thursday night’s game, although he will still take part in virtual game planning. The NFL does not allow coaches to work remotely during games, so Barry will not be in any kind of contact with the Packers during the game against the Cardinals.

My guess is Jerry Gray would be the coordinator during the game.

texaspackerbacker
10-25-2021, 12:01 PM
That was sudden hahahaha - he was literally jumping up and down on the sidelines yesterday. At least he wasn't hugging anybody that showed on camera.

One good thing about the short week - at least we only have to listen for 3-4 days from the damned "realists" about how the Packers are probably gonna lose.

Even though Arizona is 7-0, I seriously doubt they are the best team in the league. I doubt they are better than the Packers. We should be able to run the ball on them a lot more than we did against the Blueskins (apologies if that's considered political). And Rodgers should have less pressure on him than against either the Skins or Bears. We got good training for Murray by chasing Heinicke around yesterday. Murray may be just a bit faster, but from what I've seen, he goes down when hit like Heinicke often didn't. Hopkins is good, but better than Chase or McLaurin? I guess we'll see. They used Ertz a lot yesterday, but I don't think he's all that special. Their RBs aren't that special. I'm thinking they are ready for a fall, and the Packers - even with the injuries - are on the rise.

King Friday
10-25-2021, 12:57 PM
Cardinals have showed flaws, and are beatable. The short week benefits the veteran QB. Ball control is imperative in this game, to quiet the crowd and keep the Cardinal offense off the field.

Joemailman
10-25-2021, 01:54 PM
Tom Silverstein

#Packers coach Matt LaFleur said the organization is advanced protocol, which means everyone is tested everyday and must wear masks. LaFleur said there are other issues with staff, but didn't say who else other than Joe Barry might be out this week.

Ryan Wood

Matt LaFleur isn't ruling out MVS returning from IR for Arizona: "Absolutely there's hope for that. We'll see. I know he's out there running today, and we'll see how he feels tomorrow. I know he's working hard. He wants to be out there. Certainly, we miss the element he brings."

Tom Silverstein

LaFleur said that LT David Bakhtiari would do more than just the walk-throughs this week as he progresses in his return. He will work with trainers and practice squad players so his path to return isn't paused in a short week where there is very little practice time..

Fritz
10-25-2021, 02:04 PM
Doesn't Joe Barry's absence mean the Packers may have a better chance this week? Jerry Gray at the controls, baby!

I think that Arizona QB is giving people fits. You can't track that dude down - he flushes out of the pocket, runs around twenty-five yards behind the LOS, which gives him enough time to see the whole field and his receivers enough time to get open, and then he throws a bomb for a forty yard gain. Or so it seems.

Joemailman
10-25-2021, 02:08 PM
Doesn't Joe Barry's absence mean the Packers may have a better chance this week? Jerry Gray at the controls, baby!

I think that Arizona QB is giving people fits. You can't track that dude down - he flushes out of the pocket, runs around twenty-five yards behind the LOS, which gives him enough time to see the whole field and his receivers enough time to get open, and then he throws a bomb for a forty yard gain. Or so it seems.

They'll be fine. Doesn't matter who the DC is as long as they have Gary in there. :satan::pack::glug::pack:

Fritz
10-26-2021, 07:11 AM
I agree.

I always said that young man was going to be a star.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-26-2021, 07:45 AM
Inspired by CapitanKickass and his "After Further Review" threads, I've decided to start scouting the Pack's next opponent. Here's a thorough scouting report on the Redneck Cardinals (fact: in Ireland, a "Redneck" is actually a bloody Roman Catholic, and Cardinals are Catholics). This report is based on a comprehensive review of the Cardinals' latest game.

Last game: 31-5 win over the Houston Tex-asses.

Offense: Former college CEO, Kliff Kingsbury, calls the plays. Kingsbury thinks he's still in college, cos, he runs virtually everything out of the fucking "Gun," even with a greying Colt McCoy in the game. With 5'3" hotshot QB Kyler Murray, the "Kap" offense is utilized. Run-read, Pistol Pete, QB Draw, Playaction - all out of the fucking Gun. Murray appears to be a faster version of Lil Russell. Hard to say Murray's a poor man's Wilson, as #1 is currently leading the race for the MVP trophy. Murray's primary receivers are AJ Green, Christian Kirk and DeAndre Hopkins, with a little puff of rookie Rondale Moore mixed in. Hopkin's a carbon copy of Devantae Adams, but without the thugness. Green has rediscovered rhythm and reason in the desert. Speedster Andy Isabella, he who was on my 2019 My Mastery Mockery of a Draft along with DK Metcalf, is in Kingsbury's doghouse. TE Zack Ertz just got to town last week, but Kingsbury/Murray wasted little time showcasing the ex-Balding Eagle. Against the Tex-asses, Ertz caught a TD, was the target on a rare Murray pick and even ran the rock on a jet sweep (fumbled, but was ruled down via replays). The "dark" horses are #2 Chase Edmonds and #6 James Conner. Each wears an exotic number for tailbacks. Edmonds' a poor man's Aaron Jones. Conner's the go-to guy in the redzone...out of the fucking Gun, of course. The O-Yokozuna as a whole is average at best. Tex-asses sacked Murray 4 times, mostly with Lovie Smith's patented 4-men rush. Coulda gotten more sacks, but Murray's like 5'3". #97 of the Tex-asses made a textbook sack on Murray, but got called for personal foul, cos, Murray's like 5'3". Like, how the fuck is one supposed to tackle a midget? Yes, the word midget is offensive, but since I'm a midget myself, I can utilize the word liberally.

Defense: Vance Joseph coordinates the defense. The former Donkey head coach is the antithesis of Joe Barry. Instead of Barry's tedious, 4-men rush, "Bend and Fuck" D, Joseph runs a tons of exotic blitzes, especially with DBs. Safety Budda Baker often blitzes from the slot. Joseph blitzes safeties, Mikes and Micks alike up the "A" gaps. Hard to evaluate the DBs, as the Tex-asses played a hapless, tasteless, toothless rookie QB. One player did catch my eye, though: CB #7. What race is that guy? If #7's black, 12 should proceed with a little caution. If he's white? Attack him all day, hombre. In the harsh survival of the fittest realm, gotta show the sheep that white corners have no place in the NFL. JJ Watt can still play, and he plays every fucking down with both of his hands on the ground. Still cocky, too. #9, the hotshot ILB, wasn't an extraordinary machine against the Tex-asses.

Special Teams: Former Pack great, Chris Banjo, leads the special teams. Moore's the returner; looked so and so. I'll leave the punter/kicker hate to the Kentucky.

Fritz
10-26-2021, 09:10 AM
Inspired by CapitanKickass and his "After Further Review" threads, I've decided to start scouting the Pack's next opponent. Here's a thorough scouting report on the Redneck Cardinals (fact: in Ireland, a "Redneck" is actually a bloody Roman Catholic, and Cardinals are Catholics). This report is based on a comprehensive review of the Cardinals' latest game.

Offense: Former college CEO, Kliff Kingsbury, calls the plays. Kingsbury thinks he's still in college, cos, he runs virtually everything out of the fucking "Gun," even with a greying Colt McCoy in the game. With 5'3" hotshot QB Kyler Murray, the "Kap" offense is utilized. Run-read, Pistol Pete, QB Draw, Playaction - all out of the fucking Gun. Murray appears to be a faster version of Lil Russell. Hard to say Murray's a poor man's Wilson, as #1 is currently leading the race for the MVP trophy. Murray's primary receivers are AJ Green, Christian Kirk and DeAndre Hopkins, with a little puff of rookie Rondale Moore mixed in. Hopkin's a carbon copy of Devantae Adams, but without the thugness. Green has rediscovered rhythm and reason in the desert. Speedster Andy Isabella, he who (whom? which word is correct grammatically?) was on my 2019 My Mastery Mockery of a Draft along with DK Metcalf, is in Kingsbury's doghouse. TE Zack Ertz just got to town last week, but Kingsbury/Murray wasted little time showcasing the ex-Balding Eagle. Against the Tex-asses, Ertz caught a TD, was the target on a rare Murray pick and even ran the rock on a jet sweep (fumbled, but was ruled down via replays). The "dark" horses are #2 Chase Edmonds and #6 James Conner. Both wears exotic numbers for tailbacks. Edmonds' a poor man's Aaron Jones. Conner's the go-to guy in the redzone...out of the fucking Gun, of course. The O-Yokozuna as a whole is average at best. Tex-asses sacked Murray 4 times, mostly with Lovie Smith's patented 4-men rush. Coulda gotten more sacks, but Murray's like 5'3". #97 of the Tex-asses made a textbook sack on Murray, but got called for personal foul, cos, Murray's like 5'3". Like, how the fuck is one supposed to tackle a midget? Yes, the word midget is offensive, but since I'm a midget myself, I can utilize the word liberally.

Defense: Vance Joseph coordinates the defense. The former Donkey head coach is the antithesis of Joe Barry. Instead of Barry's tedious, 4-men rush, "Bend and Fuck" D, Joseph runs a tons of exotic blitzes, especially with DBs. Safety Budda Baker often blitzes from the slot. Joseph blitzes safeties, Mikes and Micks alike up the "A" gaps. Hard to evaluate the DBs, as the Tex-asses played a hapless, tasteless, toothless rookie QB. One player did caught my eye, though: CB #7. What race is that guy? If #7's black, 12 should proceed with a little caution. If he's white? Attack him all day, hombre. In the harsh survival of the fittest realm, gotta show the sheep that white corners have no place in the NFL. JJ Watt can still play, and he plays every fucking down with both of his hands on the ground. Still cocky, too. #9, the hotshot ILB, wasn't an extraordinary machine against the Tex-asses.

Special Teams: Former Pack great, Chris Banjo, leads the special teams. Moore's the returner; looked so and so. I'll leave the punter/kicker hate to the Kentucky.

It's "who" in this situation. "Whom" is the object form, but the "who" here refers to the subject.

Tony Oday
10-26-2021, 09:18 AM
This needs to be Jones and Dillon's game.

run pMc
10-26-2021, 09:51 AM

Agree. I suspect this is a big reason why they didn't get a lot of carries vs. WAS.

No Adams makes this a tougher assignment, nevermind the long flight to ARI and a road game against a 7-0 team on 3 days rest.

ARI has flaws, but GB is pretty beat up and they rightfully are the underdogs. Shortening the game to keep Murray and Co. off the field benefits GB. I'm not sure how stout ARI front is, but they are getting Chandler Jones back.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-26-2021, 09:56 AM
It's "who" in this situation. "Whom" is the object form, but the "who" here refers to the subject.

Thanks. You Michigan grads are smart. :)

Since we’re on the topic of grammar, is this line correct? In the clutch, perchance, you would let me into your heart.

Is would or will the correct word? As a pessimist, I’m thinking “would” is correct.

Where do polar bears go when this planet melts
Wherever we go, I hope we don’t drift apart
We could start brave new lives on the asteroid belt
And in the clutch, perchance, you’d let me into your heart

Upnorth
10-26-2021, 10:44 AM
If our rb and he pick up the blitz and rodgers isn't pressured we win our o hrs their d. They can't generate pressure without blitzing and that gives rodgerrs a chance.
If we had jaire and z we could slow down (not stop) their o. We dont have them, we are screwed.

If we stay within 10 I'm happy. Down 3 all pros a pro bowler our #2 wr and #3 cb. We are screwed.

RashanGary
10-26-2021, 10:54 AM
If our rb and he pick up the blitz and rodgers isn't pressured we win our o hrs their d. They can't generate pressure without blitzing and that gives rodgerrs a chance.
If we had jaire and z we could slow down (not stop) their o. We dont have them, we are screwed.

If we stay within 10 I'm happy. Down 3 all pros a pro bowler our #2 wr and #3 cb. We are screwed.

Our two best pass rushers are good at disciplined rushes. Gary can get pressure without getting out of his lane. He can push the pocket straight back. Clark is the same way. So we can get pressure without leaving big lanes for Murray to escape. I like that matchup.

Other than that, it doesn’t look great.

I predict a loss, but we’re so good at ball security and turnovers can flip any game. I would say 80% loss.

Weirdly, missing Adams has a chance of opening up the offense. There’s a chance some good things happen

texaspackerbacker
10-26-2021, 01:31 PM

Offense: Former college CEO, Kliff Kingsbury, calls the plays. Kingsbury thinks he's still in college, cos, he runs virtually everything out of the fucking "Gun," even with a greying Colt McCoy in the game. With 5'3" hotshot QB Kyler Murray, the "Kap" offense is utilized. Run-read, Pistol Pete, QB Draw, Playaction - all out of the fucking Gun. Murray appears to be a faster version of Lil Russell. Hard to say Murray's a poor man's Wilson, as #1 is currently leading the race for the MVP trophy. Murray's primary receivers are AJ Green, Christian Kirk and DeAndre Hopkins, with a little puff of rookie Rondale Moore mixed in. Hopkin's a carbon copy of Devantae Adams, but without the thugness. Green has rediscovered rhythm and reason in the desert. Speedster Andy Isabella, he who was on my 2019 My Mastery Mockery of a Draft along with DK Metcalf, is in Kingsbury's doghouse. TE Zack Ertz just got to town last week, but Kingsbury/Murray wasted little time showcasing the ex-Balding Eagle. Against the Tex-asses, Ertz caught a TD, was the target on a rare Murray pick and even ran the rock on a jet sweep (fumbled, but was ruled down via replays). The "dark" horses are #2 Chase Edmonds and #6 James Conner. Each wears an exotic number for tailbacks. Edmonds' a poor man's Aaron Jones. Conner's the go-to guy in the redzone...out of the fucking Gun, of course. The O-Yokozuna as a whole is average at best. Tex-asses sacked Murray 4 times, mostly with Lovie Smith's patented 4-men rush. Coulda gotten more sacks, but Murray's like 5'3". #97 of the Tex-asses made a textbook sack on Murray, but got called for personal foul, cos, Murray's like 5'3". Like, how the fuck is one supposed to tackle a midget? Yes, the word midget is offensive, but since I'm a midget myself, I can utilize the word liberally.

Defense: Vance Joseph coordinates the defense. The former Donkey head coach is the antithesis of Joe Barry. Instead of Barry's tedious, 4-men rush, "Bend and Fuck" D, Joseph runs a tons of exotic blitzes, especially with DBs. Safety Budda Baker often blitzes from the slot. Joseph blitzes safeties, Mikes and Micks alike up the "A" gaps. Hard to evaluate the DBs, as the Tex-asses played a hapless, tasteless, toothless rookie QB. One player did catch my eye, though: CB #7. What race is that guy? If #7's black, 12 should proceed with a little caution. If he's white? Attack him all day, hombre. In the harsh survival of the fittest realm, gotta show the sheep that white corners have no place in the NFL. JJ Watt can still play, and he plays every fucking down with both of his hands on the ground. Still cocky, too. #9, the hotshot ILB, wasn't an extraordinary machine against the Tex-asses.

Rondale Moore as a returner is scary, but if we get coverage like last week with our punter, we will be ok.

Rodgers will make 'em pay for those blitzes IMO, and we should be able to run on this team like we couldn't on the Blueskins.

Murray is a more hyped and probably higher paid version of Heinicke - which is good for them and kinda bad for us. But I think we beat these guys even will their record and all our adversities.

texaspackerbacker
10-26-2021, 01:34 PM
Our two best pass rushers are good at disciplined rushes. Gary can get pressure without getting out of his lane. He can push the pocket straight back. Clark is the same way. So we can get pressure without leaving big lanes for Murray to escape. I like that matchup.

Other than that, it doesn’t look great.

I predict a loss, but we’re so good at ball security and turnovers can flip any game. I would say 80% loss.

Weirdly, missing Adams has a chance of opening up the offense. There’s a chance some good things happen

Good point about the pass rush, and after seeing Fields and Heinicke back to back, we should be ready for Murray.

I assume betting would break your probation terms or whatever, but I'd certainly bet you on that 80% loss thing. I'd go with 60/40 we win, maybe more.

RashanGary
10-26-2021, 01:37 PM
When the refs are with you, no one can be against you. We have the chances of that going in our favor too. As a betting person, there’s no such thing as a sure bet in football.

CaptainKickass
10-26-2021, 03:23 PM

This kind of thing is a great idea, thanks for putting it together.

CaptainKickass
10-26-2021, 03:26 PM

I'm pretty sure they can have Mr. Enthusiasm himself pseudo-coaching from his living room on a video conference app. I could be wrong. I'm honestly not sure what NFL allows here with regard to remote-coaching. The technology to do so does exist however.

bobblehead
10-26-2021, 08:03 PM

I was thinking the opposite. This could be a protest game for forcing us to play instead of pushing it back. Start Love. Kylin Hill gets 25 carries. Makeshift line. Rest clark, gary and Campbell. Pretty much mail it in and don't let any starter play more than 30% of the snaps.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-27-2021, 09:54 AM
Rondale Moore as a returner is scary, but if we get coverage like last week with our punter, we will be ok.

Rodgers will make 'em pay for those blitzes IMO, and we should be able to run on this team like we couldn't on the Blueskins.

Murray is a more hyped and probably higher paid version of Heinicke - which is good for them and kinda bad for us. But I think we beat these guys even will their record and all our adversities.

Murray runs faster and throws better than Heinicke. And Murray sure as fuck ain’t gonna take a knee with nothing but the endzone ahead of him. There’s a reason one guy was a #1 overall pick and the other went undrafted.

I don’t think the Redneck Cardinals are as fearsome as their undefeated record indicates, but c’mon man! Lil Kyler obviously has better Kung Fu than ole Heinicke.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-27-2021, 10:03 AM
I was thinking the opposite. This could be a protest game for forcing us to play instead of pushing it back. Start Love. Kylin Hill gets 25 carries. Makeshift line. Rest clark, gary and Campbell. Pretty much mail it in and don't let any starter play more than 30% of the snaps.

This game will probably have playoff implications down the road.

As a burger-flipping loser through no fault of mine, I have a zero percent chance of mating with a hot chick, especially one of African ancestry. The Packers should only concede defeat with a zero percent chance of victory.

The maths says the Packers have a 49.34% chance of returning from the desert victorious. Trust the math.

smuggler
10-27-2021, 11:41 AM
Most important thing is to avoid injuries. In this case that means Not rushing back MVS or Bakh. Other than that, try your damndest to win, but don't scuttle the chance at victory in a rematch by being stupid tomorrow night.

Upnorth
10-27-2021, 03:04 PM
Murray runs faster and throws better than Heinicke. And Murray sure as fuck ain’t gonna take a knee with nothing but the endzone ahead of him. There’s a reason one guy was a #1 overall pick and the other went undrafted.

I don’t think the Redneck Cardinals are as fearsome as their undefeated record indicates, but c’mon man! Lil Kyler obviously has better Kung Fu than ole Heinicke.

He maybe faster but he doesn't focus on the run. It's a misperception everyone seems to have. I think of him as a short russel Wilson. I wish he was a runner who can tbrow, instead he is a thrower who can run, way more dangerous.

George Cumby
10-27-2021, 03:51 PM
JJ Watt has been ruled out.

I guess Vegas wanted to even the odds a bit.

Harlan Huckleby
10-27-2021, 06:42 PM
I am on the doom and gloom bandwagon until I'm not. The team has been winning ugly - which is not an indictment becuz of parity - but this is not a year where losing a lynchpin is recoverable.

RashanGary
10-27-2021, 07:21 PM
I am on the doom and gloom bandwagon until I'm not. The team has been winning ugly - which is not an indictment becuz of parity - but this is not a year where losing a lynchpin is recoverable.

I’m with ya. It’s been ugly and now we’re down more guys against a top team.

But there is the matter of referees and turnovers. You never know.

Sparkey
10-27-2021, 07:50 PM
I'm pretty sure they can have Mr. Enthusiasm himself pseudo-coaching from his living room on a video conference app. I could be wrong. I'm honestly not sure what NFL allows here with regard to remote-coaching. The technology to do so does exist however.

I believe he can be involved remotely with game plan stuff and coaching, but is not allowed to participate on game day.

George Cumby
10-27-2021, 09:01 PM
The team has been winning ugly - which is not an indictment becuz of parity - but this is not a year where losing a lynchpin is recoverable.

I'm ok with ugly wins for a few reasons.

1) A win is a win is a win. There's no style points.

2) Being able to win even in suboptimal conditions toughens a team. Give me the 2010 team's grit over the 2011 cachet.

2a) Winning ugly teaches the team they can win various different ways.

3) As bad as the injury situation has been, I'm happy with our record.

Don't confuse this with rose colored bandwagoning. This team has some real flaws, but I see real promise, too. A deep run in the playoffs is a real possibility.

Harlan Huckleby
10-27-2021, 09:40 PM
Agree with your points.

Still,, sans Adams, pack can't look in mirror and say, "We're good enough, we're smart enough, and dog-gone-it people like us."

texaspackerbacker
10-28-2021, 01:05 AM
DeAndre Hopkins is a game time decision for the Cardinals also. That would be big if he can't play, but McLaurin was the same last week and played so I wouldn't count on it.

Teamcheez1
10-28-2021, 06:46 AM
JJ Watt now likely out for the season. Sure glad we didn’t sign him. That goes for Julio Jones too.

Teamcheez1
10-28-2021, 07:01 AM
I’m not sure we should play Preston Smith or MVS this week. Let them rest through the mini bye and get ready for the rest of the season