PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather: Defensive Coordinator Edition

call_me_ishmael
10-26-2021, 09:09 AM
Alright, I cannot think of either of their names, but we're entering week 8. Time to make some rash judgements.

Would you rather have the old guy or the new guy and why for the home stretch based on what you've seen so far? Discuss.

George Cumby
10-26-2021, 11:31 AM
Right now, New Guy.

It's like we have a pass rush all of a sudden. From the outside and the inside.

Shit tons of injuries, but still winning games.

Gary is playing lights out, Lowry is doing really well, Clark is disruptive AF.

Secondary is tore up but acquitting itself well.

run pMc
10-26-2021, 12:13 PM
With Pettine, I thought they had their moments. I didn't like how far he had the corners play off, and it seemed like for all their assembled talent the whole played less than the sum of their talents.
With Berry, I'm not completely sold, but he seems to have them playing at least where the whole equals the sum. Their 2nd half defense is usually more aggressive and effective in terms of allowing less points. Part of that I'm sure is from the O getting leads, but the team gives up less points coming out of halftime and that tells me he's making somewhat effective in-game adjustments. Can't recall that often with Pettine.

The remaining schedule will be a tough test, and getting Jaire and Z would be a big boost.

I don't think Pettine was awful (he wasn't) but his scheme had flaws and he struck me as more the theoretical type than the practical type who could adjust on the fly. FWIW Mike McCarthy struck me as being that way too.

texaspackerbacker
10-26-2021, 12:31 PM
It doesn't seem like they changed much scheme-wise, maybe a little less blitzing, maybe more zone coverage - but that's kinda by necessity. Playing the Corners way off kinda goes with blitzing unless you have Jaire X 2. Would you want Kevin King playing tight and getting beat deep even more than he did?

My impression was that in the second half, Barry played it more like Pettine in terms of getting after the QB - and predictably, that worked. The reason IMO it worked was because Douglas is a helluva lot better player than King.

I think he got hired because LaFleur knew him and liked his fired up attitude rather than wanting to make big changes.

RashanGary
10-26-2021, 12:34 PM
I liked Pettine. I’m open to whatever Barry does though. If he’s better, I’ll be happy for the change. Too early to say right now.

Sparkey
10-27-2021, 07:34 PM
I guess I know what Pettine is and it wasn't terrible, but I don't think it was going to ever be more than what it was.

Barry, I still don't know now what he is, but the team is showing growth in the first few months. I'll take growth and hope over same old same old.