PDA

View Full Version : This weekend is all about Gute

King Friday
10-29-2021, 12:30 PM
The Packers have made it to the halfway mark (kind of) of the season with a 7-1 mark, despite all the off-season shenanigans. Rodgers has appeared to open the door ever so slightly on his willingness to stay in Green Bay after this season. The Packers still have $5m in cap space that can be utilized to improve this roster.

If the Packers truly want to keep Rodgers past this season, now is the time to utilize the cap space for this year...not for providing contract relief 3 years from now.

There are players available at the deadline that would be economical while also capable of further strengthening the roster. Gute has done well in recent weeks on that front, but this weekend opens up the last good chance to make roster changes that could push the team over the top in a crowded NFC.

And asking Rodgers for his opinion on some of the options would be a great way to help rebuild the bridge when it comes to dealing with whatever happens after the season.

George Cumby
10-29-2021, 07:45 PM
We will see what the end of the season brings, but, FML, that was a virtuoso performance last night.

King Friday
11-01-2021, 12:33 PM
So far...failure by Gute.

Rams add Von Miller...we add nothing. Better hope we don't play the Rams come January.

Vincenzo
11-01-2021, 12:56 PM

Rams add Von Miller...we add nothing. Better hope we don't play the Rams come January.
I thought Von Miller was all damaged goods?

Nevertheless, good point here, Gute needs a final push before the deadline.

George Cumby
11-01-2021, 12:58 PM
I would like some Tight End action.

Vincenzo
11-01-2021, 01:02 PM
With Tonyan down, let’s do it.

NewsBruin
11-01-2021, 01:25 PM

I might be thinking too hard, but Von Miller-for-picks seems like Denver getting trade ammo for Rodgers.

NewsBruin
11-01-2021, 01:27 PM
What kind of cap room do we have for this year, and if we can't trade, could we use it to front-pay some of next season's salaries?

Joemailman
11-01-2021, 01:32 PM
I might be thinking too hard, but Von Miller-for-picks seems like Denver getting trade ammo for Rodgers.

Except that Rodgers might not want to go there if they're trading their best players away now.

call_me_ishmael
11-01-2021, 01:46 PM
I'd like to see Gooter try to add a DL or a TE if one is available.

texaspackerbacker
11-01-2021, 01:54 PM
Is this a new phenomenon - the NFL getting like baseball at the trade deadline, just about everybody either being a "buyer" or a "seller"? Or did the Packers just never participate as much in previous years? I sure don't remember that many in season pick ups.

Joemailman
11-01-2021, 02:01 PM
What kind of cap room do we have for this year, and if we can't trade, could we use it to front-pay some of next season's salaries?

Packers have about 5 million in cap space. It can be rolled over to next year or used this year to restructure a contract.

Tony Oday
11-01-2021, 02:06 PM
I dont see the need for a new TE really. Big Bob is awesome but Deguara, Mercedes and a PS Guy should be enough for that spot. This offense is built for late round TE help. The real need is if MVS can't go we need a WR. CB would be nice but there is nothing out there that looks like an upgrade unless Alexander can't go.

Vincenzo
11-01-2021, 02:15 PM
Denver gets a 2nd and 3rd and pays 9 mil of 9.7 remaining on his deal

King Friday
11-01-2021, 02:19 PM
With Tonyan down, let’s do it.

Hurst in ATL is an option...he's been catching 4 balls a week even as a TE2. I love Lewis, but he's primarily a blocker, which should be of less use to us as the OL gets healthy.

run pMc
11-01-2021, 04:15 PM
Denver gets a 2nd and 3rd and pays 9 mil of 9.7 remaining on his deal

The Rams have a R5 and two R7 picks for their 2022 draft.
I have no idea what Miller has left in the tank, but he's on an expiring contract and should give LAR something.

Joemailman
11-02-2021, 09:48 AM
Steelers trade Melvin Ingram to Chiefs for 6th round pick.

Vincenzo
11-02-2021, 10:03 AM
Hurst in ATL is an option...he's been catching 4 balls a week even as a TE2. I love Lewis, but he's primarily a blocker, which should be of less use to us as the OL gets healthy.
“Several teams believe the Packers are doing homework on tight ends as the deadline nears. Evan Engram and Hayden Hurst are high-end options. Jordan Akins and Jacob Hollister would be more affordable options.”

George Cumby
11-02-2021, 10:05 AM

NFL Radio guys were saying he doesn't have a lot left.

texaspackerbacker
11-02-2021, 11:38 AM

There was talk about the Cowboys trading for Ingram. Just a 6th round pick for a damn good player? This is getting weird - steals of trades just before the deadline, rich getting richer, poor teams throwing away decent talent, not for high draft picks but for next to nothing in many cases. As I said, I really don't recall seeing this before - similar to MLB with the "buyers" and "sellers" thing. I don't know if it's somehow the result of the fucked up salary cap situation or what, but it doesn't seem like a healthy trend to me.

As for the Packers, I'd rather we beefed up our D than pick up a TE. We'll see, I guess.

Fritz
11-02-2021, 01:21 PM

Your wish is my command:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/clMAAOSwMWdedHAj/s-l400.jpg

I'm a little more boring. I'd like to see them trade for a defensive end who is more than a run-stopper. I know Jarrett (I think that's the name) has been mentioned, and that'd be the quality I'm thinking of. Not some stop-gap Snacks Harrison thing. Someone who can actually play and contribute. If you're going to sign or trade for some retread, you might as well just play Slaton.

bobblehead
11-02-2021, 05:33 PM

GM with 3rd consecutive ridiculous winning percentage who's team is the #1 seed in the NFC....Failure!!!

bobblehead
11-02-2021, 05:35 PM
Is this a new phenomenon - the NFL getting like baseball at the trade deadline, just about everybody either being a "buyer" or a "seller"? Or did the Packers just never participate as much in previous years? I sure don't remember that many in season pick ups.

Its relatively new. It didn't used to be this way. I think the lack of continuity in rosters now days is causing GMs to make more desperate moves.

bobblehead
11-02-2021, 05:35 PM
Packers have about 5 million in cap space. It can be rolled over to next year or used this year to restructure a contract.

SPEND IT NOW. Whatever you do, DO NOT use it to extend Adams!!

George Cumby
11-02-2021, 07:04 PM
Your wish is my command:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/clMAAOSwMWdedHAj/s-l400.jpg

FINALLY someone plays off of the double entendre.

Was it TOO obvious?

Sparkey
11-02-2021, 10:38 PM
FINALLY someone plays off of the double entendre.

Was it TOO obvious?
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSglpzhzHg7guRfLcvLD1dHMdobZ2IRx xZzNaPson6olLuizERa