PDA

View Full Version : The discussion of the offensive line

Partial
09-14-2006, 02:32 PM
One thing I have been pondering for a while now is the idea that having the great interior guards made the tackles look good. Everyone has been talking about how the tackles have looked poor providing help for the guards now-a-days, but what do you all think of the premise that the tackles just aren't that good? I'm not stating my opinion here since I am not qualified enough to comment on offensive line play, but I am curious as to what others think of such an idea.

No Mo Moss
09-14-2006, 02:41 PM
I thought the o-line played alright. I guess the bright spot for me was I didn't see them gettiing physically beat too often, instead it was mental mistakes and execution. Both of which I think can be corrected. Not sur eabout th etackles, Clifton is getting older, but I expect his play to get better or he'll be replaced.

Cobra Kai
09-14-2006, 02:47 PM
I don't think that it is one position is better than the other but rather the ability of all 5 linemen to play together as a coheasive group. When GB's line was good, they'd been playing together for so long that individual weaknesses were masked by the great play by the group as whole... The guys now have had verry little time together and still need to find a comfort with the guys next to them. I think that is why MM named his starters so early, so they'd have time to gel...

Partial
09-14-2006, 02:52 PM
I don't think that it is one position is better than the other but rather the ability of all 5 linemen to play together as a coheasive group. When GB's line was good, they'd been playing together for so long that individual weaknesses were masked by the great play by the group as whole... The guys now have had verry little time together and still need to find a comfort with the guys next to them. I think that is why MM named his starters so early, so they'd have time to gel...

So, do we think that Packer line from 2003 would be more effective than say a line of all-pros thrown together as a unit for one game?

Walter Jones
Steve Hutchinson
Jeff Saturday
Will Shields
Orlando Pace

Cobra Kai
09-14-2006, 02:55 PM

So, do we think that Packer line from 2003 would be more effective than say a line of all-pros thrown together as a unit for one game?

Walter Jones
Steve Hutchinson
Jeff Saturday
Will Shields
Orlando Pace

For one game? Sure. Look at the USA baskball team in World play the past few years. The teams have been filled with all-stars and yet they get beat by lesser talented teams. Teams that know how to play well with each other...

Partial
09-14-2006, 02:59 PM

Walter Jones
Steve Hutchinson
Jeff Saturday
Will Shields
Orlando Pace

For one game? Sure. Look at the USA baskball team in World play the past few years. The teams have been filled with all-stars and yet they get beat by lesser talented teams. Teams that know how to play well with each other...

But does experience as a unit mean they're going to play better?

Cobra Kai
09-14-2006, 03:07 PM

I think so. I recall an article done a few years back that studied o-lines that had played together for extended periods of time and how that correlated to their efficiency. I believe it referred specifically to the GB and Denver lines at the time...

I'll see if I can find that article...

Packnut
09-14-2006, 03:22 PM
When you have a guard who misses a block on a QB sneak, then you have some serious trouble.

Partial
09-14-2006, 03:35 PM
When you have a guard who misses a block on a QB sneak, then you have some serious trouble.

Same with a tackle, or a center, or an RB, or an TE. It's all relative.

MJZiggy
09-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Didn't they just sort of take turns making mistakes? I'm interested to see what Colledge does with this latest stint on the line.

Partial
09-14-2006, 03:40 PM

I think so. I recall an article done a few years back that studied o-lines that had played together for extended periods of time and how that correlated to their efficiency. I believe it referred specifically to the GB and Denver lines at the time...

I'll see if I can find that article...

But, is that because of the quality of players or the quality time put in together?

Cobra Kai
09-14-2006, 03:48 PM

As important as it is to have a cohesive unit that has played together it is equally important to replace any weak links before assembling your group of 5 linemen. The sad fact is they probably have their best 5 out there and they will need lots more time before they play well as a unit. If they're lucky all 5 can make it through the year without succumbing to injury or bad play. If they do make it through the year this should be a solid unit at the end of the season and an even better one next season...

Partial
09-14-2006, 03:56 PM

As important as it is to have a cohesive unit that has played together it is equally important to replace any weak links before assembling your group of 5 linemen. The sad fact is they probably have their best 5 out there and they will need lots more time before they play well as a unit. If they're lucky all 5 can make it through the year without succumbing to injury or bad play. If they do make it through the year this should be a solid unit at the end of the season and an even better one next season...

Are we sure of that, though? What leads you to believe that?

jack's smirking revenge
09-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Our line is kind of offensive right now. Or would you prefer this "offensive line"--THE PACKERS SUCK.

Sorry, nothing constructive to say about the line right now, especially with Spitz injured and Colledge possibly getting another shot. It's sad that we're playing musical lineman and its only the second game of the season.

tyler

Partial
09-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Our line is kind of offensive right now. Or would you prefer this "offensive line"--THE PACKERS SUCK.

Sorry, nothing constructive to say about the line right now, especially with Spitz injured and Colledge possibly getting another shot. It's sad that we're playing musical lineman and its only the second game of the season.

tyler

I am not so sure that the shuffleing of young linemen is going to make much of a difference now. If the tackles are constently providing help anyway I don't see it making much of a difference. Then again, maybe the line will improve? Or maybe it will get worse? Can it get worse? Who knows!

Cobra Kai
09-14-2006, 04:00 PM

Are we sure of that, though? What leads you to believe that?

Nothing but blind faith :D

jack's smirking revenge
09-14-2006, 04:15 PM

tyler

I am not so sure that the shuffleing of young linemen is going to make much of a difference now. If the tackles are constently providing help anyway I don't see it making much of a difference. Then again, maybe the line will improve? Or maybe it will get worse? Can it get worse? Who knows!

Love the sig Partial! Favorite Pat lyrics/song..."God"

God loves capitalists more than communists.
God loves fundamentalists more than Methodists.
God loves Americans more than Canadians.
God loves nuclear power.

God loves the stars and stripes.
God loves Handi-Wipes, thinks they're so convenient.
God knows where the yellow went.
God has a VCR.
John Wayne is the biggest star, up in the Ivory Tower.

God doesn't love the Pope.
God likes Pepsi more than Coke.
He won't drive a Subaru or a BMW.
God packs a magnum for protection not for fun.
God says make my day.

God votes Republican, the only way to get things done.
God loves makin' dough, don't like payin' taxes though.
God loves Disneyland, loves a man to be a man.
God loves the USA.

God loves democracy more than aristocracy.
God hates Iraqians, Russians, Jews and Libyans
(And anyone else who isn't a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant).
God is good, God is great.
God don't like the welfare state
(He hates Sweden).
God drives a Chevrolet.

God made petroleum to make my Winnebago run.
God made plants and trees.
We can waste them as we please.
God loves the strong and tall.
God loves white folks most of all.
God loves the USA.
God loves the USA.
God loves the USA.
He told me personally, and I know what God likes

Cheesehead Craig
09-14-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm just rich, young, pretty and tan