View Full Version : Tom Silverstein Chat

motife
09-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Packer Chats
Visit JS Online's Packer Plus section
THURSDAY, Sept. 14, chat transcript
Tom Silverstein
Journal Sentinel Packers/NFL beat writer

Beat reporter Tom Silverstein answered questions in our weekly Packer Insider chat.

Q: Dave of San Diego - Tom, I've seen a lot of criticism of McCarthy's coaching in the first game, including from some of you writers. I'm struggling with that. MM tried to establish a running game, something everyone criticized Sherman for bailing out on too soon in almost every game. MM went for it on 4th and short on the opposing side of the field, which MS rarely did. All in all, I saw MM put the game in the hands of the players, who didn't execute. All coaches in this league would call a QB sneak on 4th and inches. It does not need to be practiced. The line submarines the guy across from them and the QB falls/drives forward. Any high school team knows how to do that. The bottom line is that the Bears were the better team and the Packers had little or no talent on the field. Every packer fan knows that the team needs to establish a running game to win. MM tried to do that and the players were not up to it. MS had Favre throw 50+ times in both Bear games last year....and lost. I applaud MM for sticking with the running game and for some gutsy calls, and mostly for letting the players win or lose the game. In the end, I don't know if MM is a good coach or not. Moreover, I don't think we will know at the end of this year. He has no talent to work with, so how can we judge him? Holmgren took a team to the Super Bowl twice, then went to Seattle and didn't make the playoffs for years. The difference was the players. He's still the same great coach! You guys need to lighten up on McCarthy when he has been handed no talent. No coach could win with this team. We need to measure him on how well the play of this team improves over the year. Nothing else.

A: Tom Silverstein - Good afternoon everybody, sorry I'm late but practice went a little longer than I anticipated. I'll try to get to as many questions as possible. Dave -- I don't recall any of us ripping McCarthy for his play-calling. I don't think he did anything that bad. He was pretty handcuffed by bad performances all around

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Erik-Paul Hoffman of Cincinnati - In regards to Koren Robinson, his record is tainted to say the least and a lot of people are disgusted with his signing. I'm not sure how I feel. My question is this :Who,how and when do you decide some one is beyond redemption? I understand the reputation of the Packers is on the line, maybe this will be a good move, maybe not. I'm just glad it's not my decision. Could you walk away from some one in trouble?

A: Tom Silverstein - A better question is this: Would you be giving him a second chance if he couldn't catch passes or return kickoffs? Would you allow him to paint your house or refinish your floors? Would you allow him to park your car? I think all we're doing is raising questions about the decision and making sure an athlete doesn't get treatment others don't.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Wookie of Tucson - Do you think Sterling Sharpe would have forced his way out of Green Bay if players had the same leverage back then as they do now? I seem to remember him not being very happy in GB.

A: Tom Silverstein - That's an excellent subject and it's my main topic for my NFL notes lead in the paper tomorrow. It's amazing how many wide receivers in particular have been able to get themselves traded or released.
Q: Doug of Sioux Falls, SD - Thanks for the chat. As a fan, it is hard to think that we are headed to the "dark days" of the 80's again with the team as it looks right now. My question to you, and to people like you who cover the team is this: Why are we as fans told to "wait and be patient"--"things like this take time". 1) Did Ray Rhodes get time? Isn't a disaster a disaster, no matter how long it simmers? 2) Aren't strong teams built from the "line out"--meaning, strong O and D lines? Hasn't TT ignored that fact in the draft and free agency periods?

A: Tom Silverstein - Well, you can't judge the team after one game and you can't judge a GM after a year and a half. Fans deserve better than what Thompson has delivered thus far, but he has a plan to rebuild through the draft, which means you aren't going to win right away. I would say if this team doesn't show life the second half of the season then is plan isn't working.
Q: Joe Kleiber of Cranford, NJ - If the packers get the number one overall pick in the draft, whom do you think they would draft considering Brady Quinn is on the board and Aaron Rodgers hasn't been given a chance yet? Will they take Quinn or give rodgers a chance?

A: Tom Silverstein - It's too early to get into that kind of stuff. I don't know if Brady Quinn is the consensus No. 1 pick. Everyone thought Reggie Bush would go No. 1 and look what happened. If there's a franchise quarterback available then they'll have to consider it.
Q: Terry Chaney of Royal Oak, Mi. - how much access are you getting to players and coaches? In the last year it sounded like reporters were getting more and more shut out.

A: Tom Silverstein - The biggest reduction in access is to Brett Favre. We used to be able to talk to him every Wednesday and after games. Now it's every other Wednesday and after games. However, the national media comes in and speaks with him regularly, so go figure. As for the players, it's down a little bit but that's because of the different practice schedule. The access to assistant coaches has been reduced 50%. We used to be able to talk to them almost every day, now it's only Mondays and Thursdays and we're supposed to ask position coaches (such as Joe Philbin, Tom Clements, etc...) only about individual players. The coordinators handle everything else. It's a very controlled atmosphere. Not at all what it was like when I started this job 17 years ago.
Q: Dave Verhasselt of Wrightstown - Tom, I've read several of your columnists outrage at the Robinson signing. Clearly, there are many valid points to be considered about how this signing might blow up in their face. How about some other considerations.....this is a gifted player they signed for very little compensation.....people often struggle to attain and sustain sobriety in their first attempts...... aren't there people with more significant jobs (judges, lawyers, doctors, cops, news reporters) who were given another chance after failures in fighting chemical addiction? It just seems to me the risk to the GB Packers isn't as great as has been commented by the opinion makers out there. Am I just too much an optimist?

A: Tom Silverstein - I just think that the risk needs to be outlined. The columnists are giving their opinion. It doesn't mean they're right, but it is their opinion. That's what they're paid to do. Let's face it, the guy has been cut from two teams and is just a month removed from his latest relapse. I think there are a lot of red flags there. Maybe he needs to get his life in order before coming back to football. Or maybe he will finally conquer his addiction. I just think the risk must be identified and the Packers must answer questions about why they're taking it.
Q: Jesse of Atlanta - I watched tape of the game against Chicago and saw Vonta Leach put crushing blocks on Urlacher and Briggs. I am not convinced Henderson can do that 16 games. Who do they have on their roster that can plow down linebackers for Green?

A: Tom Silverstein - Leach also failed to block Briggs on a key third-down run, so I don't know that he was untouchable. I agree Henderson can't blow open holes. I really think David Martin is going to get the bulk of the work at fullback and Henderson will be used a lot as a receiver out of the backfield and on special teams.
Q: Andrew of Los Angeles - You wrote in your recent article that Ron Wolf swore to not put stumblebums in front of Brett Favre. Obviously, Thompson have only so far put bums on the OL. What was he thinking? Is he & his scouts that clueless? Gee whiz, this guy has struck out.

A: Tom Silverstein - Wolf said that many times, but he did put some stumble bums in front of him. He just always managed to put together a line that was just good enough. Thompson has struck out on the offensive line thus far. If the two rookie guards don't pan out it could be the story of the season. One thing Wolf never did was get caught short. If he thought there was going to be trouble he got a veteran to plug the hole. Thompson has not done that.
Q: Doug of Philadelphia - Do you think the addition of Koren Robinson, and the possible addition of Vince Morency will help our Offense and Special Teams?

A: Tom Silverstein - It can't hurt, that's for sure. Man, the special teams were awful. Still, Robinson is going to need some blocking to do anything on kickoff returns. I don't seem him breaking anything with two guys in his face at the 15-yard line.
Q: Jon of Houston, TX - Why would the Packers waive Leach when they only have an old, injured Henderson to play FB? Playing Martin at TE is a joke. Why is he still on the team. I thought Thompson was jettisoning the deadwood - how does Martin survive?

A: Tom Silverstein - I don't know how he survives as a tight end, but he's a decent blocker. Every year I hear about how he's going to stretch the field and every year he's either hurt or a disappointment. I do think he can help them blocking, but I don't know how he's going to help in the passing game playing fullback.
Q: Jeff of Findlay OH - I just heard Samkon Gado was traded to Houston. I'll bet Mike Sherman engineered that trade. Aside from that... Will Morrency be a better fit for the zone blocking scheme? It seems to me that Gado had a lot of positives but instinct wasn't one of them. Don't zone scheme runners need lots of instinct to find the holes since they won't know where the holes are from the call in the huddle? In Sherman's scheme, the hole was always designed to be in a certain place wasn't it?

A: Tom Silverstein - I don't know if Morency will be any better, but the Packers think he can add more in the passing game. He has good hands and decent moves and they'll probably let him play some on third downs this week. Morency has been playing in a similar system in Houston and wasn't able to win the starting job so I don't see how he can be considered to have starting ability. Even Thompson said yesterday that it remained to be seen if he was that type of back.
Q: Nostradamus of Onalaska, WI - Tom, how do you think people will remember Brett Favre in 10-20 years? Will the last two horrible years be long forgotten, or will he be tainted forever? What will be his signature film highlight that the future media will show over and over? Give us a glimpse into the Packer future, I beg thee.......!!!!

A: Tom Silverstein - No, his last couple years will be mostly forgotten. What do you remember about Dan Marino, those last couple years under Jimmy Johnson or him firing touchdown pass after touchdown pass to Mark Clayton and Mark Duper. Look at Ken Stabler, he was horrible his last couple of years in Houston and New Orleans and everyone thinks of him as the Raider quarterback. So Favre will be remembered for his best years. As for his signature highlight, I have no idea, but I still favor one at Pittsburgh where he spun off a couple of tacklers, ran to his left and fired a bullet downfield. It was a great play.
Q: Joe of Toronto - Hey Tom. We’re very fortunate to have a reporter of your caliber covering the Packers. Tom, the great thing about these chats are that it allows regular fans like us the opportunity to speak to someone like yourself. So, here it goes - you and I are sitting in a bar having a beer (Koren Robinson is just a few stools down doing shots). If I asked you what your gut was about McCarthy from what you’ve seen from other coaches in your time as a reporter what would you HONESTLY tell me man to man. Thanks.

A: Tom Silverstein - I'd tell you it's too soon to know, Joe. Honestly. I will say that with Holmgren you knew right away he was in command and that no one was going to get over on him. He had a presence. But he also made coaching mistakes early on and needed a little time to ease into the job. But he was as ready-made for the position as anybody. He was groomed by Bill Walsh to be a head coach and even turned down offers the year before he took the Packers job. McCarthy has not been groomed for the job. He's been a coordinator and he has a lot to learn about being a head coach. I think he's going to make mistakes along the way. I honestly don't know if he'll have success because I've misjudged others in the past. That's about as honest as I can get.
Q: Terry of Chicago - Hi Tom, I am seriously puzzled by the Gado trade for Morency. Gado was struggling with the zone blocking scheme, but so is Morency because Houston runs the SAME RUNNING SCHEME! What the heck is TT doing giving up a guy like Gado who has shown he can have big games and is a great team/community guy. This week the Packers have dumped a great fan favorite who was No. 2 RB with potential, added a soon to be suspended (and potential felon) WR and dumped their only true blocking FB. But hey, they still have 4 tight ends and Noah Herron!!

A: Tom Silverstein - Well said. What's Whisper Goodman up to these days?
Q: Guiseppe of Naples - Hey Tom, It’s great to have you on the chats for a change. Tom, there was no question that you could see how different the Lions played on Sunday compared to last year. I remember the difference in the Pack as soon as Holmgren took over. Do you see anything that McCarthy is bringing to this team? I certainly don’t.

A: Tom Silverstein - I haven't seen a signature yet. I think eventually it will be the running game, but that's not a given. The offense is pretty basic right now and I think that has a lot to do with protection problems. If the team could run the ball, they'd have a little more identity. Right now they have none.
Q: Eric of Germantown - Tom, I am a little concerned the Packers are putting too much emphasis on scheme rather than talent. I realize the zone blocking scheme has been successful elsewhere and that Thompson has to make a commitment to it, but after drafting undersized players like Colledge and going with Heron and now Morency over someone like Gado or Davenport, I really think that if this plan doesnt work out, that three years from now the Packers could be in far worse shape talent wise than they are even now, simply because these players would be inadequate in a different system. Thus forcing the Packers to start completely over again.

A: Tom Silverstein - I wouldn't make a big deal out of Gado and Davenport. I don't think either is going to be Edgerrin James. Davenport was injury prone and Gado was a project. He had potential but he doesn't have a lot of natural instinct. Neither of those two guys was going to be Green's successor. Running back is the easiest position to fill in the NFL right now.
Q: Digger of Andover, MN - Hi Tom, I'm sure the talk is mostly going to be Robinson, so here is a change of pace: Why cut Leach? At least he could block.

A: Tom Silverstein - Yes he could. And he played some special teams. He's been picked up by New Orleans on waivers so you'll get a chance to see him again on Sunday. Do you think he'll be fired up to play?
Q: Jay of Los Angeles - Hi Tom: Thanks for the chat. Cullen Jenkins seems to make as many plays per snap as anyone vs the pass but gets bounced inside vs the run. I assume there's a reason why the Packers haven't tried moving him to KGB's end spot on run downs, since KGB has the same size problem. But at close to 300 pounds, one would think Jenkins would hold up better against the run at end than KGB. It would give Jenkins and his motor more snaps and keep KGB fresh. I know the Packers have tried Montgomery there in a similar fashion but without results. Have they tried Jenkins and I didn't notice, or is there another reason why this is only sound on the surface? Thanks for putting up with all the collective moaning of Packer Nation as we work through our issues.

A: Tom Silverstein - Jenkins has been used at end in the past and it didn't work. He's better inside where he can make a quick upfield move and get between guard and center. He is bigger than KGB but I don't think he plays with better leverage against the run. Plus, KGB didn't play that poorly against the run against Chicago.
Q: Jack of Denver - Tom, What are the Packers doing??? If they want to win more games (by adding Robinson), why didn't they make a run at Dion Branch? If they are rebuilding, why do they keep Favre? Favre kept the Packers from getting Reggie Bush last year, will he cost them the #1 pick this year? And my big question, if they do tank and go 3-13, will they retain the coach/GM???

A: Tom Silverstein - I wouldn't expect a change after this year. Apparently, they didn't want to pay Branch big money. Or maybe they thought he wasn't that good. The fact Holmgren wants him indicates he can play in this system, however. I think the real reason is they would have had to give up a No. 1 pick. Would you give it up for Branch if you knew it was going to be in the top 10?
Q: donavon of houston - hello tom. why can't anyone believe brett when he says he does not care what the stats say, that he will gunsling it when he feels it's the only way we can get back in a game? i think that attitude is refreshing, and shows he won't play it safe just to look good. all i ever hear is how no one has kept him under control since holmgren. i'm not talking about mistakes made while the game is close, i realize that's no time to throw caution to the wind. but did he have any choice in the fourth quarter against the bears? staying within the same game plan that had resulted in donut for points scored? let him have some fun and wing it. also, i strongly agree with everything you guy's have written about signing robinson. what in the world are we trying to do....

A: Tom Silverstein - I think bad habits are reinforced with throws like the one Favre made across the field. It's Game One and you're playing with a bunch of young players. Why not keep executing the offense and trying to build something? Why go to gunslinger mode? Who does that benefit? Did the Packers come close to scoring as a result? No. They would have been better off staying within themselves and trying to get some points on the board.
Q: Royce Ahrens of Prosper, TX - Tom, has Terrible Ted, TT, sealed his fate as a short timer in Green Bay with the Robinson move? I mean TT has single handedly devastated this franchise. By not resigning Wahle, who was in his prime, not going after Hutchinson, who was in his prime, by signing the ultra conservative ultra loser Marty Morninwhig, I mean Mike McCarthy, he has moved this great franchise into the 1970's. Do you think Packer's Sr. Mgmt will see the errors in their hiring of TT and fire him at season's end?

A: Tom Silverstein - No, I don't. It's not going to happen. You won't know all you need to know about him until the draft picks start to mature. The Robinson move could hasten his exit if it blows up on him. That's a big risk.
Q: Daren of Sydney, AUS - How long should we give McCarthy before evaluating his performance? And what are the two or three most important things we should look for in assessing him this year?

A: Tom Silverstein - More than one game, that's for sure. Wins and losses are number one. Then look to see if they're improving. And if they're playing solid, fundamental football.
Q: Otto of Palatine - Tom. Love your football acumen. My question is this. Was Brad Childress the Thompson pick for coach until the Vikings snatched him away? It seems as though tt was not prepared to interview some of the better candidates. Not an indictment yet on McCarthy-- its just an observation.

A: Tom Silverstein - He was definitely on the list. And the Vikings knew that. They kept Childress around and wouldn't let him leave for an interview in Green Bay. As a result Thompson never met with him. I don't know that Thompson would have hired him on the spot. He's too deliberate to do something like that.
Q: Al Rogers of Waterloo Iowa - Tom, Do you think trading Brett to the Denver Broncos for some future draft picks would be a good idea? Brett could help Jay Cutler and possibly play for a legitimate playoff contender.Brett Favre deserves to end his career on a high note and the Packers need a lot of help.

A: Tom Silverstein - It depends what you could get. I don't see anyone giving up a lot for him at this stage in his career. Plus, he can still play a role here. I don't think his career is over by any means.
Q: PQ of Milwaukee - What's the deal with Charlie Woodson? Is his deal structured in such a way that they could cut him following the season. He's too soft and really doesnt seem like he enjoys playing football.

A: Tom Silverstein - They could do that without taking too big of a hit. It does seem he's playing soft. He didn't battle Muhsin Muhammad very well. I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved to safety eventually if Marquand Manuel continues to play horrible against the pass.
Q: Ed of Stevens Point - Tom...a recent on-line survey called the Packers coaching staff the worst in the NFL (the Redskins were #1). What are your thoughts?

A: Tom Silverstein - Who was surveyed? I don't know if I can make any assessment on their coaching staff after one game. Let's see how things play out.
Q: Brian of Madison - While listening to the radio broadcast of the game Sunday. Larry McCaren said, that the Packers were,"going with their nickel package against the Bears 4 wide receivers formation, because they didn't have enough bodies to put a dime package on the field. Is this true? After free agency, the draft, and four pre-season games I sure hope not.

A: Tom Silverstein - It's absolutely true. When they cut Jason Horton and brought in rookies Charlie Peprah and Jarrett Bush, it left them with four rookies behind the four starters and nickel back Ahmad Carroll. They were too scared to play any of those four rookies in the dime. That might change as the season goes on.
Q: Tom of Reno - Wouldn't a better roster move be to drop the 3rd quarterback, not your starting fullback? Martin wasn't going to see the field anyway, and certainly no one was going to sign him to their roster off the waiver wire leaving the Packers the opportunity to sign him back to the practice squad.

A: Tom Silverstein - That's an excellent point. I don't know who would pick up Martin at this point, although there are nine teams who went into the season with just two quarterbacks.
Q: Michael of Madison - Tom, I don't understand the defense this year. This is basically the same unit as last year and they have invested a lot of dollars and draft picks this past offseason to improve it. It was ranked #7 last year. I don't think they were the 7th best defense, but there weren't terrible either. How can a team with all the "upgrades" on the defense be so remarkably bad? The first team defense didn't stop anyone in the preseason and they made the Bears look like the 1994 49ers. Is it the coaching? Did Bates make that much of a difference? Is Sanders in over his head as a first year coordinator?

A: Tom Silverstein - It could be the coaching. Sanders is new to the job and there were a lot of breakdowns on defense. But the run defense was solid and had Brady Poppinga played better in pass coverage there would have been fewer big plays. I think Bates was an outstanding coordinator and had a track record to prove it. They do miss him.
Q: Nik of Eden Prairie, MN - Thanks for the chat, Mr. Silverstein. Do you agree that Abdul Hodge needs to get on the field as soon as possible? Our linebackers looked terrible last Sunday, and I think we need to make a change. Nick Barnett should be moved outside, and Abdul Hodge into the middle. Would you agree with that move, and what complications would that bring about in terms of Barnett's happiness?

A: Tom Silverstein - No, I don't think Hodge needs to play. He really tailed off in training camp and didn't play better than the top four at the position. It doesn't make sense to move guys around for someone who isn't ready to play. Hodge has a lot of work to do on pass coverage before he'll be ready. Well everyone, my time is up. So

No Mo Moss
09-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Well I see everyone has the shovels out. For a fan base that so gratefully took to success, it bothers me how easily some fans are resigned to failure.