PDA

View Full Version : Notebook - Martin, KRob, Colledge, Morency, Blackmon...

Fosco33
09-14-2006, 05:04 PM
The short of it.

Martin is now the backup FB.

Robinson is learning plays and may be struggling w/ the offense. He's listed as questionable for the Saints game w/ a knee injury (that he says isn't a problem).

Colledge is gonna start at left guard.

Morency is excited to be in GB.

Blackmon is day-day after feeling pain in his foot.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/09/14/1/

gbpackfan
09-14-2006, 05:32 PM
You need to read the Colledge thing a little better. It said IF Spitz can't go, then he will be the starter. Colledge HAS NOT been named the starter yet. Spitz is a tough guy, I wouldnt be surprised to see him out there on Sunday.

Fosco33
09-14-2006, 06:03 PM
You need to read the Colledge thing a little better. It said IF Spitz can't go, then he will be the starter. Colledge HAS NOT been named the starter yet. Spitz is a tough guy, I wouldnt be surprised to see him out there on Sunday.

We'll see...

Spitz sustained a thigh bruise in last Sunday's game and did not practice Wednesday or Thursday.

McCarthy, who called the bruise "significant," said Spitz is hopeful he can be ready, but said he'll have to practice on Friday in order to play. Otherwise, the job goes to Colledge, a second-round draft pick as a left tackle out of Boise State.

If he doesn't practice tomorrow, Colledge will start.

BallHawk
09-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Wow, they sure are struggling to find ways to keep Martin around.

Well, at least he's a pretty good blocker.

KYPack
09-15-2006, 08:38 AM
They've rushed Blackmon back and now he's banged up again.

Kids. They get hurt easier, but at least they heal faster.

ND72
09-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Spitz's injury, that deep thigh bruise....those things SUCK. It's basically a horrible charlie horse. I got one my frosh year in college, but sadly i was a freshman Offensive lineman, so i was forced to practice every night...if i had been a freshman running back, they might have at least given me an ice pack.

ahaha
09-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Martin as a fullback scares the begeesus out of me. The media and coaches like to compliment his blocking, especially when they're defending his pass-catching ability. But, it seems to me, that there are plenty of times when he is to blame for bonehead breakdowns on the offensive line.

Cobra Kai
09-15-2006, 10:22 AM
I support TT and the bulk of his moves thus far but cannot understand why Blackmon isn't on the PUP. Can anyone explain why TT doesn't have Blackmon on PUP???

Fosco33
09-15-2006, 10:29 AM
I support TT and the bulk of his moves thus far but cannot understand why Blackmon isn't on the PUP. Can anyone explain why TT doesn't have Blackmon on PUP???

I believe TT expected him back now. These bone/heal spurs can be painful and unpredictable. A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster - so he would've had to make that call awhile back.

Rastak
09-15-2006, 10:52 AM

I believe TT expected him back now. These bone/heal spurs can be painful and unpredictable. A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster - so he would've had to make that call awhile back.

He broke his foot, didn't he? It's a difficult one to come back from.....I would have sat him the first 6 to make sure.

Fosco33
09-15-2006, 11:07 AM

He broke his foot, didn't he? It's a difficult one to come back from.....I would have sat him the first 6 to make sure.

Yeah, you're right - I was looking up someone else's injury then - just can't recall whom right now.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2006, 11:10 AM
I hope Colledge does start. I want to see what he can do after his time on the bench thinking about his sins. Plus I'll take a healthy rookie over a hobbled one.

mmmdk
09-15-2006, 12:03 PM
The short of it.

Martin is now the backup FB.

Robinson is learning plays and may be struggling w/ the offense. He's listed as questionable for the Saints game w/ a knee injury (that he says isn't a problem).

Colledge is gonna start at left guard.

Blackmon is day-day after feeling pain in his foot.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/09/14/1/

Packer defense is set, the offense is in shambles and ST should get a boost on KR. Will Rayner kick his first ever NFL FG?

Joemailman
09-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Packers Colledge To Start At Left Guard
Written by: Mike Spofford ¦ 9/15/2006
Source: www.packers.com
With rookie left guard Jason Spitz missing his third straight day of practice Friday, fellow rookie Daryn Colledge will replace him in the starting lineup on Sunday.

Spitz has been out this week with a bruised thigh sustained in last week's game when he was blocked on one of Chicago's interception returns. Head Coach Mike McCarthy said Spitz's availability Sunday would be a game-time decision, but that Colledge would start.

For Colledge, a second-round draft pick, it will be his first NFL regular-season start, and his first start since the preseason opener at San Diego, when he struggled and was moved down to the second team.

"I've tried to make a lot of changes since that San Diego game," Colledge said. "I came in kind of nervous, it's your very first game, a long time since you've played football. Now I'm playing at a lot faster speed, I know what I'm doing and I feel like I've gotten to be a lot better player."

McCarthy said that Colledge's work ethic has been just what you'd expect from a young player who gets demoted.

"It's just like anything else, when someone takes it away from you, you want it back," McCarthy said. "He's taken full advantage of his week of preparation, and we look for him to play well this weekend."

It's an opportunity Colledge wants to maximize on, to be sure.

"If I'm the starter, I'm going to fight to try to keep that job for the week after this one and the week after that," he said. "I'm going in with the anticipation that I'm the left guard for the rest of the year, and I'm going to keep working."

If Colledge plays well, look for him to remain the starter. MM would then have to decide whether to move Spitz to RG, or stick with Tony Moll.

FavreChild
09-15-2006, 07:00 PM

Heyyyy....glad someone's excited about it.

This is what our "notebook" is going to look like for the rest of the season, isn't it??

ND72
09-16-2006, 02:20 PM
If Colledge does well, i'd expect them to move Spitz back to RG...or, just stick with it...who knows...lots of different scenerio's there.

Fosco33
09-16-2006, 02:29 PM
A bit offtopic-

Brady's brother - Kelly Popping intercepted a pass late in the BYU-BC game today.

Nice job little bro...

Willard
09-16-2006, 02:35 PM
It would be wonderful if Colledge's performance this Sunday sheds light on why he was a legitimate 2nd rounder. I am not surprised he was tentative in his first start during pre-season in San Diego. It is reasonable to expect growing pains in a rookie making his first start -- and at a new position as well. Furthermore San Diego's DL performance in week1 proves that they are a very talented group.

What concerns me a bit is that Colledge says he really learned his lesson after that game (SD). Namely, he cannot play at less than 100% speed; he needs to go all out. But in his last game (vs. TN) he was not that much better, and he was playing against back-ups. In other words, it was not just the SD game that was a red flag. Colledge was consistently mediocre during the pre-season.

It is way to early to make a final judgement on this guy yet. I will be watching closely on Sunday and I am really hoping he shows some aggression and toughness. I know Favre is hoping for same!

KYPack
09-16-2006, 09:42 PM
It would be wonderful if Colledge's performance this Sunday sheds light on why he was a legitimate 2nd rounder. I am not surprised he was tentative in his first start during pre-season in San Diego. It is reasonable to expect growing pains in a rookie making his first start -- and at a new position as well. Furthermore San Diego's DL performance in week1 proves that they are a very talented group.

What concerns me a bit is that Colledge says he really learned his lesson after that game (SD). Namely, he cannot play at less than 100% speed; he needs to go all out. But in his last game (vs. TN) he was not that much better, and he was playing against back-ups. In other words, it was not just the SD game that was a red flag. Colledge was consistently mediocre during the pre-season.

It is way to early to make a final judgement on this guy yet. I will be watching closely on Sunday and I am really hoping he shows some aggression and toughness. I know Favre is hoping for same!

He seemed a tad slow vs SD in the pre-season, but that didn't appear to be his main "sin". He was getting knocked on his ass in P Pro. Mainly on bull rushes. That's a giant red flag to any coach.

I hope the kid gets it together, he appears to have some skills. It's so crazy to have all these rookie guards.

SD was a tough opponent for a young guard. NO's front 7 plays more traditional schemes & isn't as talented. Maybe he can squeak by & start learnin'

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2006, 10:23 PM
If Colledge does well, i'd expect them to move Spitz back to RG...or, just stick with it...who knows...lots of different scenerio's there.

I don't know. Moll played better than Colledge last summer, I assume in practice as well as games.

I doubt Colledge is gonna earn a starting job in one game. But it is possible.

Fosco33
09-20-2006, 07:49 PM

Here's M3's explanation today....

(Has Blackmon's injury left you shorthanded in secondary, and might he have been better off on PUP?)
He's had a setback that really has nothing to do with his initial injury. That's where we are. We didn't expect this. I would like to think that one day, maybe tomorrow or sometime soon, that he'd be ready to go. That's where we are with him. He's literally day to day. I don't think he was a PUP prospect.

(When you say setback, I was under the impression that it was the same injury?)
It was a setback in the rehab of the injury. It's all tied together. When you have a foot injury, 10 weeks or 6 to 8 weeks, we're beyond that. The bone is fine.