PDA

View Full Version : Ofiicial Packers vs. Bears Part Deux Discussion Thread

Joemailman
12-07-2021, 10:56 AM
Packers lead all-time series 102-95-6.

Last meeting: October 17,2021. Packers defeated the Bears 24-14. This was the Aaron Rodgers "I own you" game. Rodgers had 2 TD's passing and 1 running. Aaron Jones and A.J. Dillon combined for 135 yards rushing. Khalil Herbert had 97 yards rushing and 1 TD for the Bears. Justin Fields played in that game but is questionable for this one.

Offensively the Bears rank 31st in passing offense. Bears have passed for 2378 yards with 10 TD's and 14 INT's. Bears rank 9th in the NFL in rushing offense with 1501 yards and 10 TD's. David Montgomery and Khalil Herbert both average over 4 YPC. Justin Fields has 311 yards rushing.

Defensively, Bears rank 5th in passing yards allowed. However, they have given up 20 TD passes and have just 5 INT's. Bears rank 21st in run defense having allowed 1441 yards and 12 TD's.

Packers are favored by 12.5. Over/under is 43.5.

Joemailman
12-07-2021, 05:17 PM
The Packers promoted Kurt Benkert and signed Danny Etling, a seventh-round draft pick by New England in 2018, to the practice squad.

Etling was a seventh-round draft pick by the New England Patriots in 2018. During his rookie training camp, he was the No. 3 quarterback behind Brady and Brian Hoyer. While he didn’t do much through the air – he had a woeful 52.3 passer rating – he made one of the plays of the preseason with an 86-yard touchdown run..

RashanGary
12-07-2021, 07:05 PM
I wonder if Rodgers should sit a week. Give his toe 21 days to heal and then hope to get lucky and not reinjure it. The way it’s going he could end up constantly rebreaking it and never be healthy enough to practice. We already have the division locked up. Maybe some caution would be better.

Bretsky
12-07-2021, 08:30 PM
I wonder if Rodgers should sit a week. Give his toe 21 days to heal and then hope to get lucky and not reinjure it. The way it’s going he could end up constantly rebreaking it and never be healthy enough to practice. We already have the division locked up. Maybe some caution would be better.

No No

Get the bye (extra week) and HF advantage

Joemailman
12-07-2021, 10:14 PM
How completely does Rodgers own the Bears?

Rodgers in 27 games (22-5 record): 66.5 percent, 7.64 yards per attempt, 57 touchdowns vs. 12 interceptions, 105.8 passer rating. Rodgers has 13 games with 100-plus passer ratings, or 48.1 percent of his starts against Chicago.

Bears quarterbacks in 28 games during the Rodgers era (5-23 record): 58.3 percent, 6.06 yards per attempt, 31 touchdowns vs. 43 interceptions, 70.1 passer rating. Chicago’s quarterbacks had two games with 100-plus passer ratings, or 7.1 percent.

scharpcheddar
12-08-2021, 02:05 AM
Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst elevated third-string quarterback Kurt Benkert from the practice squad to the active roster on Tuesday, December 7, as a COVID-19 replacement for Week 14’s game against the Chicago Bears. The Packers also signed fourth-year quarterback Danny Etling to temporarily take Benkert’s practice-squad spot and bring their room back up to three healthy options.

smuggler
12-08-2021, 12:22 PM
Jaire designated to return from IR. He's probably not going to play this week, but perhaps next week against the Ravens.

Joemailman
12-08-2021, 12:22 PM
Justin Fields will start for the Bears.

Jaire Alexander will do some individual drills at practice today.

RashanGary
12-08-2021, 12:55 PM
Jaire designated to return from IR. He's probably not going to play this week, but perhaps next week against the Ravens.

Crossing my fingers no setbacks. Him and Zadarius would be huge for the playoffs.

Teamcheez1
12-08-2021, 01:26 PM
It would be great if Jaire, Zadarius, or Bakh can suit up and play in the last 2 or 3 games. If they can’t get healthy until the playoffs, I would consider just leaving them on IR.

RashanGary
12-08-2021, 02:21 PM
It would be great if Jaire, Zadarius, or Bakh can suit up and play in the last 2 or 3 games. If they can’t get healthy until the playoffs, I would consider just leaving them on IR.

Bakh has to be feeling good about that contract he signed right before the injury.

Joemailman
12-08-2021, 04:58 PM
Cobb not practicing due to core injury is a concern.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGHjmeeXMAMQTIy?format=jpg&name=900x900

RashanGary
12-08-2021, 08:40 PM
Aaron Rodgers numbers may be down from a year ago, but I think he’s playing just as well. He has a below average OL and is finding a way to function by getting rid of the ball quicker. He’s graduated to that Brees and Brady ball where the ball comes out before any harm can be done.

MVP seasons require a good supporting cast so everything can fall into place. But making chicken salad out of chicken shit can happen with elite QB play even if it doesn’t present itself as an MVP season.

George Cumby
12-08-2021, 08:45 PM
I wish he would develop more patience and stop going for the kill shot all the time.

Joemailman
12-08-2021, 10:39 PM
I wish he would develop more patience and stop going for the kill shot all the time.

I don't think it's a matter of patience. Rodgers believes you have to take some deep shots to keep defenses honest.

George Cumby
12-08-2021, 11:17 PM
I don't think it's a matter of patience. Rodgers believes you have to take some deep shots to keep defenses honest.

Show me one of those handy dandy graphics!

Joemailman
12-08-2021, 11:39 PM
Show me one of those handy dandy graphics!

https://charts-cdn-b.nextgenstats.nfl.com/static-charts/900/pass-chart_ROD339293_2021-REG-12_1638148862384.jpeg

smuggler
12-09-2021, 12:41 AM
20% of Rodgers' pass attempts in this game traveled more than 15 yards in the air. Brady's clip was 9.5% in his mos recent tilt, despite having much better pass pro and a stable of great receivers.

George Cumby
12-09-2021, 07:38 AM
20% of Rodgers' pass attempts in this game traveled more than 15 yards in the air. Brady's clip was 9.5% in his mos recent tilt, despite having much better pass pro and a stable of great receivers.

So how much is enough to keep the defense honest? If you throw two or three deep balls, but one or two go for TD's, is that enough? Or does one have to keep challenging them deep, despite not getting TD's?

I just perceive that Rodgers goes deep a lot instead of being patient and taking what's available.

I'd prefer more sustained drives instead of run, pass deep, pass deep, punt.

RashanGary
12-09-2021, 11:19 AM
So how much is enough to keep the defense honest? If you throw two or three deep balls, but one or two go for TD's, is that enough? Or does one have to keep challenging them deep, despite not getting TD's?

I just perceive that Rodgers goes deep a lot instead of being patient and taking what's available.

I'd prefer more sustained drives instead of run, pass deep, pass deep, punt.

Watching Brady over the years, he’s definitely more patient than Rodgers. He might not be as talented overall, but his patient mindset makes him slightly better at winning games. Of course, it’s easier to be patient when you’re playing year in and year out with upper echelon defense.

I think this year Rodgers is playing elite ball though. He’s really getting it out quick and making up for the so/so offensive line. I don’t see a lot of forcing deep passes this year. That was more in the past.

George Cumby
12-09-2021, 11:37 AM
Watching Brady over the years, he’s definitely more patient than Rodgers. He might not be as talented overall, but his patient mindset makes him slightly better at winning games. Of course, it’s easier to be patient when you’re playing year in and year out with upper echelon defense.

I think this year Rodgers is playing elite ball though. He’s really getting it out quick and making up for the so/so offensive line. I don’t see a lot of forcing deep passes this year. That was more in the past.

I agree with your first paragraph on every point.

I don't see what you're seeing on Rodgers this year. My perception is his accuracy is off. The OL is definitely not what it was last year and that has to be effecting him.

My sense is this is an off year for him. I'm waiting for Joe to pull out some facts and figures to show my sense/perception/opinion is wrong. :-P

smuggler
12-09-2021, 11:46 AM
In some games, I might agree. Not since he came back from Covid, though. He's been elite.

HarveyWallbangers
12-09-2021, 12:59 PM
Cobb out with significant core injury. Speculation is out with a hernia for 6-8 weeks, so his season is likely over.

Joemailman
12-09-2021, 01:29 PM
Cobb out with significant core injury. Speculation is out with a hernia for 6-8 weeks, so his season is likely over.

3rd time in 4 years Cobb will miss 5 or more games. If it's 6 weeks he could be back for divisional round of playoffs. If not, he may have played his last game as a Packer. He has a 7.9M base salary next season.

RashanGary
12-09-2021, 02:31 PM
I agree with your first paragraph on every point.

I don't see what you're seeing on Rodgers this year. My perception is his accuracy is off. The OL is definitely not what it was last year and that has to be effecting him.

My sense is this is an off year for him. I'm waiting for Joe to pull out some facts and figures to show my sense/perception/opinion is wrong. :-P

I don’t judge on stats or outcome. If that were the way of judging, last year would be significantly better ball than this year or 2019. I look at what he’s doing with what he has. There is a correction for OL play in my measurement. He’s doing a lot this year with less talent on offense. The quick delivery and managing the OL…. The stats don’t look as good but I think he’s playing just as well with a lesser team.

Fritz
12-09-2021, 02:36 PM
3rd time in 4 years Cobb will miss 5 or more games. If it's 6 weeks he could be back for divisional round of playoffs. If not, he may have played his last game as a Packer. He has a 7.9M base salary next season.

We'll have to see who the GM is next year before we can say he's not coming back . . .

George Cumby
12-09-2021, 02:59 PM

Given what he's produced this year, 28 catches, 375 yards, 5 TD's, I'm glad Houston is paying his salary.

George Cumby
12-09-2021, 03:00 PM
We'll have to see who the GM is next year before we can say he's not coming back . . .

Hahahahaha.

Took me a minute.

George Cumby
12-09-2021, 03:01 PM
I don’t judge on stats or outcome. If that were the way of judging, last year would be significantly better ball than this year or 2019. I look at what he’s doing with what he has. There is a correction for OL play in my measurement. He’s doing a lot this year with less talent on offense. The quick delivery and managing the OL…. The stats don’t look as good but I think he’s playing just as well with a lesser team.

Fair enough.

scharpcheddar
12-09-2021, 03:23 PM
I just hope they both wear traditional uniforms.
Hate the alternate crap for old school match ups

Joemailman
12-09-2021, 03:31 PM
Stokes and Douglas among the best CB's who are targeted a lot. Rodgers and LaFleur might want to target Vildor more Sunday night.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGLhfvaXIAEUvcq?format=png&name=4096x4096

Joemailman
12-09-2021, 03:44 PM
This is pretty cool...if you're a Packers fan.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1468960010193408005

Joemailman
12-09-2021, 04:26 PM
Kevin King full participation.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGMtrvuXMAwWbG-?format=jpg&name=large

smuggler
12-09-2021, 04:55 PM
Cobb's pace was great for a #4. His pay next season is too much for a #4, obviously.

HarveyWallbangers
12-10-2021, 01:05 AM
10 highest rated Packers so far this year—according to PFF:

1 Davante Adams
2 A.J. Dillon
3 Aaron Rodgers
4 Rashan Gary
5 Elgton Jennings
6 De’Vondre Campbell
7 Aaron Jones
8 Adrian Amos
9 Preston Smith
10 Jaire Alexander

PFF isn’t the be all and end all, but it’s interesting. I don’t have too much of a problem with the top 6, but Kenny Clark should be in that group.

Freak Out
12-10-2021, 07:53 AM
This is pretty cool...if you're a Packers fan.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1468960010193408005

Insane.

Joemailman
12-10-2021, 02:58 PM
Rodgers and Campbell both limited in practice today. Looks like Akiem Hicks and Allen Robinson will be back for the Bears.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGRjaUrWQAsLghn?format=jpg&name=medium

Joemailman
12-11-2021, 03:12 PM
Matt Schneidman

De’Vondre Campbell activated from the COVID list and Randall Cobb to IR.

Akiem Hicks out. Run the ball!

RashanGary
12-11-2021, 06:42 PM
Akiem Hicks out. Run the ball!

Hicks and Mack. That’s worse than Jaire and Z. We should win this one handily.

run pMc
12-12-2021, 12:20 PM
No Hicks & Mack bodes well for the running game. The Bears are bringing Bruce Irvin onto the 53 to play Edge.... they are banged up pretty good.

This is a game GB should win handily, but rivalry division games tend to be close and sometimes weird. I would love to see a Rodgers-6TD 1st half, and then have them salt away the 2nd half playing Benkert, Amari, and Patrick Taylor lol

They'll want DeVondre to play this game if the can -- it will be about stopping Montgomery and being disciplined in pass rush to keep Fields in the pocket. He holds the ball too long, but will bolt if he can.
On offense, run the ball. Don't turn it over.

RashanGary
12-12-2021, 01:11 PM
I see a lot of teams sluggish coming out of bye weeks. I could see a slow start

Joemailman
12-12-2021, 01:16 PM
I see a lot of teams sluggish coming out of bye weeks. I could see a slow start

That's my biggest concern. I'm not worried about the Bears. My worry is how the Packers play coming off their bye.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-12-2021, 01:41 PM
No Hicks & Mack bodes well for the running game. The Bears are bringing Bruce Irvin onto the 53 to play Edge.... they are banged up pretty good.

This is a game GB should win handily, but rivalry division games tend to be close and sometimes weird. I would love to see a Rodgers-6TD 1st half, and then have them salt away the 2nd half playing Benkert, Amari, and Patrick Taylor lol

They'll want DeVondre to play this game if the can -- it will be about stopping Montgomery and being disciplined in pass rush to keep Fields in the pocket. He holds the ball too long, but will bolt if he can.
On offense, run the ball. Don't turn it over.

Pretty sure 6TDs in a half happened before. J-Peppers was a Packer at that time; even got a pick-6, if I recall correctly.

Joemailman
12-12-2021, 01:55 PM
Pretty sure 6TDs in a half happened before. J-Peppers was a Packer at that time; even got a pick-6, if I recall correctly.

Casey Hayward had a pick 6 in that game. Packers first score of the game was a TD reception by none other than the legendary Brandon Bostick. He is mostly remembered for another play however.

Peppers had had a pick 6 earlier that season against the Vikings.

run pMc
12-12-2021, 06:26 PM
Casey Hayward had a pick 6 in that game. Packers first score of the game was a TD reception by none other than the legendary Brandon Bostick. He is mostly remembered for another play however.

Peppers had had a pick 6 earlier that season against the Vikings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AQi37p8uQo
2014 week 10. Love this. LOL

smuggler
12-14-2021, 01:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AQi37p8uQo
2014 week 10. Love this. LOL

Thing of beauty. Only other game I can recall with that much gravitas in the regular season was the 2016 beatdown of the Seahawks where we picked Wilson five times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEuaO-0DdoU