PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers vs. Ravens Discussion Thread

Joemailman
12-14-2021, 09:43 AM
Packers lead all-time series 4-2.

Last meeting: November 19, 2017. Ravens defeated Packers 23-0 at Lambeau Field. Aaron Rodgers and Aaron Jones did not play in that game. Brett Hundley passed for 239 yards with 0 TD's and 3 INT's.

Offensively, Ravens rank 12th in the NFL in passing yards and 3rd in rushing yards. Lamar Jackson has passed for 2882 yards with 16 TD's and 13 INT's. Jackson leads the Ravens with 767 rushing yards and 2 TD's. TE Mark Andrews has 926 receiving yards with 6 TD's. WR Marquise Brown has 866 receiving yards and 6 TD's.

Ravens rank 31st in pass defense, having surrendered 3459 yards with 21 TD passes and just 6 INT's. They have 26 sacks. Ravens have the NFL's #1 run defense, having surrendered just 1111 yards and 10 TD's.

Packers are currently favored by 5, although that may change depending on the health of the 2 QB's. Over/under is 43.5.

Fritz
12-14-2021, 10:44 AM
Packers lead all-time series 4-2.

Last meeting: November 19, 2017. Ravens defeated Packers 23-0 at Lambeau Field. Aaron Rodgers and Aaron Jones did not play in that game. Brett Hundley passed for 239 yards with 0 TD's and 3 INT's.

Offensively, Ravens rank 12th in the NFL in passing yards and 3rd in rushing yards. Lamar Jackson has passed for 2882 yards with 16 TD's and 13 INT's. Jackson leads the Ravens with 767 rushing yards and 2 TD's. TE Mark Andrews has 926 receiving yards with 6 TD's. WR Marquise Brown has 866 receiving yards and 6 TD's.

Ravens rank 31st in pass defense, having surrendered 3459 yards with 21 TD passes and just 6 INT's. They have 26 sacks. Ravens have the NFL's #1 run defense, having surrendered just 1111 yards and 10 TD's.

Packers are currently favored by 5, although that may change depending on the health of the 2 QB's. Over/under is 43.5.

Well, if MM were still designing the offensive game plan, the sign over the visitors' locker room would read " Abandon all hope of a running game, ye who enter here."

Joemailman
12-14-2021, 11:12 AM
One thing is for sure. The Ravens will try to run the ball to control the clock and keep Rodgers off the field. If the Packers defense can get off the field and get the ball back for the offense, Rodgers should have a lot of success.

Another thing is Ravens almost always have good special teams. It's a point of emphasis with them. They ranked 6th last year. Harbaugh was a special teams coach in Philadelphia for 9 years.

Joemailman
12-14-2021, 01:28 PM
Adams need 77 yards Sunday to pass Jordy Nelson for 5th place in receiving yards for the Packers. 220 to pass Don Hutson. That one may have to wait.

smuggler
12-14-2021, 01:47 PM
Ravens are pretty thin in the secondary. I wouldn't rule it out, but why wouldn't they double Adams and force us to throw to Scrabblehands?

Fritz
12-15-2021, 08:22 AM
I think containing Jackson is key - he is their best rusher. Got to have that lane integrity. That is one thing the Barry defense does better than a Pettine defense. And this is the best-tackling Packer team I've seen in years.

Spaulding
12-15-2021, 08:39 AM
I think containing Jackson is key - he is their best rusher. Got to have that lane integrity. That is one thing the Barry defense does better than a Pettine defense. And this is the best-tackling Packer team I've seen in years.

They seem to have forgotten that fact in the first half against the Bears though - so many missed tackles. Is it just me or does it appear that Barry's defense is less complex than prior DC's (Capers and Pettine) and so allows the defense to think less/instinct more and thus play faster?

Teamcheez1
12-15-2021, 11:17 AM
I’ll be interested to see who makes it onto the practice field this week. Time is running out for Zadarius, Bakh, and Jaire to make it back for any regular season game this year. I certainly don’t want their first game back to be a playoff game.

Joemailman
12-15-2021, 11:36 AM
I’ll be interested to see who makes it onto the practice field this week. Time is running out for Zadarius, Bakh, and Jaire to make it back for any regular season game this year. I certainly don’t want their first game back to be a playoff game.

I think Bakh and Jaire will be back soon. They're both expected to practice this week. Less optimistic about Z.

Joemailman
12-15-2021, 11:41 AM
Almost all of the country gets Packer game. Joe Buck and Troy Aikman with the call. Northwest, including Alaska gets Seahawks at Rams. Chris Myers and Daryl Johnston with the call.

https://506sports.com/2021/15-FOX-L.png

SudsMcBucky
12-15-2021, 12:58 PM
That's actually a really good game to be relegated to 2nd place and such a small geographic location.

Joemailman
12-15-2021, 01:40 PM
Today's practice just a walk-through.

Tom Silverstein

LaFleur said that GM Brian Gutekunst and his staff are scouring other teams' practice squads and street free agents to see if there are players that can help them on special teams. He said they will be considering starters for special teams.

Matt Schneidman

LaFleur on the Ravens: “Their special teams is No. 1 in the National Football League, so it’s gonna be a great challenge for us.”

Tom Silverstein

LaFleur reiterated that RT Billy Turner probably isn't out for the season, but he wouldn't say when he would possibly be back.

Wes Hodkiewicz

LaFleur: "Ja (Alexander) will be out there for some individual work." David Bakhtiari and Za'Darius Smith won't practice. #Packers

Tom Silverstein

#Packers coach Matt LaFleur said the team has not had any positive tests thus far this week among coaches and players, but he said it's a day to day thing the way things are going in the NFL..

Joemailman
12-15-2021, 04:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGro0ZqXwAkhRRv?format=jpg&name=900x900

smuggler
12-15-2021, 05:16 PM
Bakhtiari did participate in the walkthru. Guess MLF was mistaken.

Fritz
12-16-2021, 08:07 AM
Ravens seem to have a backup QB they like. Saw a report on one of those sports talking-heads shows that suggested they think that the backup at 100% is better than Jackson at 70%. The backup apparently can run pretty well, too. I'm sure The Flower is watching tape of the Ravens with both QB's playing. This is going to be a knock-down, drag-out fight on Sunday.

Joemailman
12-16-2021, 12:59 PM
Kenny Clark on Covid list. Will not play Sunday.

Edit: some are saying Clark could play if he has 2 negative tests 24 hours apart. LaFleur talked as if he thinks Clark is out though.

Matt Schneidman

A good sign for the Packers that David Bakhtiari and Jaire Alexander are still practicing. No Aaron Rodgers, but he's playing Sunday in Baltimore. Vet rest day for Marcedes Lewis.

Saw Billy Turner, Josh Myers, Randall Cobb, EQ St. Brown and Dom Dafney in rehab area.

Joemailman
12-16-2021, 03:46 PM
Kenny Clark not listed on injury report because he is on Covid list.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGwpqA6XIAEIJ45?format=jpg&name=medium

MadScientist
12-16-2021, 05:03 PM
Kenny Clark on Covid list. Will not play Sunday.

Edit: some are saying Clark could play if he has 2 negative tests 24 hours apart. LaFleur talked as if he thinks Clark is out though.

He's unlikely to immediately get two negative tests unless the positive was a false positive (very rare for PCR tests, somewhat more common with rapid antibody tests).

smuggler
12-16-2021, 05:30 PM
League just changed the policy concerning escape from the Covid list, but it requires that the player actually be well enough to play.

Clark might actually be sick.

RashanGary
12-16-2021, 05:52 PM
Who are the backup OL? To start the season we had Patrick, Nijman and Kelly. But with Jenkins, Meyers and Turner out, as far as I can see, we have no one left. Who’s up next??

On a different note, There was a time when we were all looking forward to getting Newman out, but he’s played really well the last 4 weeks or so.

RashanGary
12-16-2021, 05:53 PM
Even if Bakhtiari doesn’t start, getting him back would be huge for depth. Same for Meyers. Inside we’re out of backups.

Our OL is one injury away from disaster unless we get our two guys back. It’s crazy that we’re missing 4 of our best 5 lineman and are still playing well.

Joemailman
12-16-2021, 05:58 PM
Who are the backup OL? To start the season we had Patrick, Nijman and Kelly. But with Jenkins, Meyers and Turner out, as far as I can see, we have no one left. Who’s up next??

On a different note, There was a time when we were all looking forward to getting Newman out, but he’s played really well the last 4 weeks or so.Newman definitely had his best game last week. Backups at this point are Ben Braden, Jake Hanson, and practice squad guys John Dietzen, Michael Menet and Cole Van Lanen.

Joemailman
12-16-2021, 06:13 PM
Even if Bakhtiari doesn’t start, getting him back would be huge for depth. Same for Meyers. Inside we’re out of backups.

Our OL is one injury away from disaster unless we get our two guys back. It’s crazy that we’re missing 4 of our best 5 lineman and are still playing well.

I don't know that getting Bakh back would help depth that much because I'm not sure Nijman had played anything other than LT. Getting Turner back would help more because he's started games at 3 different positions. Getting Myers back would help because it would make Patrick available at both G positions.

RashanGary
12-16-2021, 06:34 PM
I don't know that getting Bakh back would help depth that much because I'm not sure Nijman had played anything other than LT. Getting Turner back would help more because he's started games at 3 different positions. Getting Myers back would help because it would make Patrick available at both G positions.

Yeah, Meyers opens up Patrick inside. I think it would take a week or two to get Nijman comfortable on the right side.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-17-2021, 11:01 AM
League just changed the policy concerning escape from the Covid list, but it requires that the player actually be well enough to play.

Clark might actually be sick.

If there’s a perfect game for Cletidus to miss, this one is it.

Due to injuries, the Baltimore Shemales lack the Kung fu to run the rock “traditionally” (you know, like, handing the rock off to the halfback/tailback). Their best rushers are their QBs, and if L-Jax, he whom I ingeniously mocked to the Arizona Rednecks in the last Packerrats mock draft, plays, he might be a bit hobbled.

Witness ole Cletidus chasing after Fields last week? It was like watching a sloth chase after a cheetah. If there’s a perfect game to revitalize ole Capers’ “Psycho,” this game is it.

(For those of you who don’t recall, the awesome Psycho attacks with 5 DBs, 5 LBs - with all 5 LBs standing up - and only a single Yokozuna. One time, out of the Psycho, Capers blitzed ole Samwise Shields from the corner and Cutler immediately threw a pick to, I think, Nick Collins.)

bobblehead
12-17-2021, 11:15 AM
They seem to have forgotten that fact in the first half against the Bears though - so many missed tackles. Is it just me or does it appear that Barry's defense is less complex than prior DC's (Capers and Pettine) and so allows the defense to think less/instinct more and thus play faster?

The biggest difference is Campbell. I can't recall having an ILB who would take on a guard and meet a ball carrier at the line since Brian Noble. There are several other minor differences, but if we don't find a way to re sign him this defense takes a big step backwards in 2022.

call_me_ishmael
12-17-2021, 01:28 PM
The biggest difference is Campbell. I can't recall having an ILB who would take on a guard and meet a ball carrier at the line since Brian Noble. There are several other minor differences, but if we don't find a way to re sign him this defense takes a big step backwards in 2022.

If they really think he is a true difference maker they'll get it done. Or they'll draft someone like him high IMO. He has shown to be quite valuable this year.

Freak Out
12-17-2021, 02:17 PM
Seahawks vs Rams moved to Tuesday so there is hope we will get the Packers now. lol

Joemailman
12-17-2021, 04:12 PM
Seahawks vs Rams moved to Tuesday so there is hope we will get the Packers now. lol

Yep. The entire country will now get the Packer game

Joemailman
12-17-2021, 04:43 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FG1rVp4XIAg3RXD?format=jpg&name=medium

Upnorth
12-17-2021, 07:04 PM
Yep. The entire country will now get the Packer game

Well some of the packers and some of the ravens any way. Battle of the backups. 2 most injured teams from what I have read.

Joemailman
12-17-2021, 07:33 PM
Tonyan moving pretty good at practice today. https://twitter.com/i/status/1471906087716761608

Upnorth
12-18-2021, 07:20 AM
Tonyan moving pretty good at practice today. https://twitter.com/i/status/1471906087716761608

Impressive straight line speed so soon after surgery.

RashanGary
12-18-2021, 04:06 PM
Davante needs 76 yards and a tud to overcome Jordy for yards and touchdowns. He’ll be 4th all time in yards and 2nd all time in touchdowns.

RashanGary
12-18-2021, 04:09 PM
If Davante were to stay 3 or 4 more years with Rodgers, he’d have a shot at yards and touchdowns. But Hutson had a ridiculous amount of touchdowns.

Joemailman
12-18-2021, 05:44 PM
BALTIMORE -- The Baltimore Ravens' already depleted secondary got thinner a day before they face Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers on Sunday.

The Ravens learned that they are without two more defensive backs on Saturday, when cornerback Chris Westry was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list and safety Chuck Clark did not clear COVID protocol.

With Clark out, Baltimore's entire season-opening secondary is out. Cornerbacks Marlon Humphrey (torn pectoral muscle) and Marcus Peters (torn ACL) along with safety DeShon Elliott (torn biceps) are on injured reserve after suffering season-ending injuries.

The Ravens are getting extremely short-handed at cornerback. Westry had just replaced Humphrey in the starting lineup last Sunday. Now, Baltimore is down to five cornerbacks with starter Anthony Averett, Jimmy Smith, Tavon Young, Kevon Seymour and Robert Jackson, who was just elevated from the practice squad.

Without Clark, the Ravens are expected to start Geno Stone beside Brandon Stephens at safety. Baltimore also elevated former starting safety Tony Jefferson, who last played for the Ravens in 2019, from the practice squad.

Baltimore will be looking to slow down Rodgers, who needs four touchdown passes to surpass Brett Favre (442) for first place on the Packers' all-time list.

Will MLF and/or Rodgers be able to resist the temptation to throw on almost every down?

MadScientist
12-18-2021, 05:49 PM
Will MLF and/or Rodgers be able to resist the temptation to throw on almost every down?

Should they resist the temptation?

Joemailman
12-18-2021, 06:26 PM
Should they resist the temptation?

Somewhat. You've got a 2nd string offensive line. Best to keep Ravens front seven guessing a little bit.

RashanGary
12-18-2021, 09:24 PM
Somewhat. You've got a 2nd string offensive line. Best to keep Ravens front seven guessing a little bit.

Best run defense and worst pass defense with missing parts in the secondary. It’s definitely a pass game.

smuggler
12-19-2021, 12:18 AM
Their run D is without Calais Campbell, it seems...

run pMc
12-19-2021, 12:49 PM
Adams is probably drooling over that secondary. Tony Jefferson ran a 4.75 out of college; he's 29 now. Wonder if Big Dog could outrun him.

Losing Calais Campbell will be beneficial to our beat up OL and the run game. I think they still need to try to run the ball to make sure the BAL D honors it, but I don't expect gaudy running stats today. This feels like a game where Aaron will be throwing a lot, but I'd stick with the quick game to protect the QB.
Tavon Young is quick but tiny - I think he's their nickel or slot guy. Might be kind of fun to put the 6'5" Lazard on 5'9" Young and see what happens.

I think they start Huntley and save Jackson for next week -- they have a big division contest vs. CIN then. A game vs. an uncommon NFC foe is not a big deal in the grand scheme for them (see also: Love starting vs. KC). Winning the division should be the first goal.

Wouldn't surprise me if this game is close for the 1st half and then GB pulls away in the 2nd. For as beat up as both teams are, I think GB will have more talent on the field... they should win this if they don't make any big mistakes.

Joemailman
12-19-2021, 12:51 PM
Reports are Jackson is not starting. Not official.

smuggler
12-19-2021, 01:00 PM
This is the kind of game that the Ravens will keep close out of pride.

Joemailman
12-19-2021, 01:05 PM
Ravens have now lost Jimmy Smith to covid list. They are down to 4 corners and 2 safeties for game.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-19-2021, 01:59 PM
Adams is probably drooling over that secondary. Tony Jefferson ran a 4.75 out of college; he's 29 now. Wonder if Big Dog could outrun him.

Losing Calais Campbell will be beneficial to our beat up OL and the run game. I think they still need to try to run the ball to make sure the BAL D honors it, but I don't expect gaudy running stats today. This feels like a game where Aaron will be throwing a lot, but I'd stick with the quick game to protect the QB.
Tavon Young is quick but tiny - I think he's their nickel or slot guy. Might be kind of fun to put the 6'5" Lazard on 5'9" Young and see what happens.

I think they start Huntley and save Jackson for next week -- they have a big division contest vs. CIN then. A game vs. an uncommon NFC foe is not a big deal in the grand scheme for them (see also: Love starting vs. KC). Winning the division should be the first goal.

Wouldn't surprise me if this game is close for the 1st half and then GB pulls away in the 2nd. For as beat up as both teams are, I think GB will have more talent on the field... they should win this if they don't make any big mistakes.

Good post.

smuggler
12-19-2021, 02:00 PM
Ravens have now lost Jimmy Smith to covid list. They are down to 4 corners and 2 safeties for game.

Ravens roster is just decimated.