PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo - Packers vs. Ravens

Joemailman
12-19-2021, 06:41 PM
Phew!

Aaron Rodgers - 23-31, 268 3 TD's 132.2 passer rating

MVS - 5 catches, 98 yards, 1 TD

Savage owned by Mark Andrews until the last play.

1 sack by Packer defense. Not much contain.

Special teams not good but not a disaster. Baby steps.

Discuss.

Sparkey
12-19-2021, 06:55 PM
Defense played soft. Trying to avoid the quick strike. Pass rush was terrible.

Special teams still special.....

Rodgers missed some easy throws.

BUT

A win on the road is never easy.

Bring on the Covid Browns.

th87
12-19-2021, 06:58 PM
Rodgers was okay this game despite his stats. Missed uncharacteristic throws and his decisions seemed slow.

th87
12-19-2021, 07:03 PM
Also didn't think it was a strong gameplan. Offensively, this was one where you play up-tempo and try to bury them early through the air, as they had no secondary.

Defensively, you just need to cover Andrews and not blow containment.

MadScientist
12-19-2021, 07:21 PM
It didn't make a lot of sense to have such a fun heavy plan against a weak secondary.

Baltimore's risk taking cost them the game.

Joemailman
12-19-2021, 07:54 PM
I think it's hard to argue with an offensive game plan that produces 4 TD's on 8 possessions. Defense was having trouble getting off the field. They were in danger of getting gassed if Packers didn't chew some clock with running game.

smuggler
12-19-2021, 07:57 PM
Disappointing effort by the defense. Rodgers missed two important throws.

Joemailman
12-19-2021, 10:47 PM
Rodgers just 1-5 throwing 20+ yards. Effective elsewhere.

https://charts-cdn-a.nextgenstats.nfl.com/static-charts/900/pass-chart_ROD339293_2021-REG-15_1639973948815.jpeg

texaspackerbacker
12-20-2021, 01:24 AM
It didn't make a lot of sense to have such a fun heavy plan against a weak secondary.

Baltimore's risk taking cost them the game.

Excellent Point. They played with what looked like desperation. Even the 2 point try was desperation. Either way, there was a significant chance Rodgers would have moved the Packers into position for a walk off FG, but failing for two and it was over. If they had made it, all it would have done is up the level of urgency for the Packers.

I never felt like there was much danger of losing this one. It was a frustrating game, though. The Ravens' ball control in the first half reminded me of a game I think we lost last season. The inability to get Huntley on the ground or pick him off was downright annoying. The Ravens got that guy as a UDFA! We wasted a first round pick - moved up for it - to draft a guy who seems to be not even close to as good - not throwing or running.

bobblehead
12-20-2021, 02:26 AM
Just an honest question for anyone who happens to watch a lot of NFL games. Is it just me or did Huntly look every bit as good as Lamaar. Nearly as good of a runner and a better more accurate passer.

smuggler
12-20-2021, 06:43 AM
That was my takeaway from the game, but I do have to admit I've watched like 6 or so games started by Lamar and he hasn't played particularly well in any of those, whereas I managed to miss some of his better games. Plus I've watched two interviews by Lamar and... he's not a good interview.

Fritz
12-20-2021, 07:34 AM
Phew!

Aaron Rodgers - 23-31, 268 3 TD's 132.2 passer rating

MVS - 5 catches, 98 yards, 1 TD

Savage owned by Mark Andrews until the last play.

1 sack by Packer defense. Not much contain.

Special teams not good but not a disaster. Baby steps.

Discuss.

They seemed to come unraveled after Crosby's FG put them up 31-17. All season long the D has done a good job containing mobile QB's, but Huntley ran wild those last two drives. After that first Baltimore TD got them to within a touchdown, the Packer offense looked rattled on the next drive. Missing Turner and Bakh really showed up there. Offense pooped the bed at a key moment. Then - of course - you had to have another ST gaffe, and by then the Packer defense clearly had no answers. If not for Huntley's piss-poor throw on that conversion, you're looking at 42 seconds and what, one timeout for Rodgers?

It looked like the whole team crumbled at the end. Thank God Justin Tucker didn't angle that onsides kick to MVS.

Joemailman
12-20-2021, 08:27 AM
That was my takeaway from the game, but I do have to admit I've watched like 6 or so games started by Lamar and he hasn't played particularly well in any of those, whereas I managed to miss some of his better games. Plus I've watched two interviews by Lamar and... he's not a good interview.Ravens have an interesting decision. Lamar Jackson is the more explosive runner, but Huntley is playing better. And Jackson has been terrible in the playoffs.

Sparkey
12-20-2021, 08:34 AM
Just an honest question for anyone who happens to watch a lot of NFL games. Is it just me or did Huntly look every bit as good as Lamaar. Nearly as good of a runner and a better more accurate passer.

He looked really good, throws a nice ball. BUT I think Lamar is more sudden in his runs and makes his decisions faster. Huntley is playing his way to a nice contract somewhere else. Baltimore has always been excellent at creating an offensive scheme that fits the abilities of the QB that they have.

Guiness
12-20-2021, 08:37 AM
Defense played soft. Trying to avoid the quick strike. Pass rush was terrible.

Special teams still special.....

Rodgers missed some easy throws.

BUT

A win on the road is never easy.

Bring on the Covid Browns.

I felt like the rushers were getting through the line, but the result was flushing the QB. How many times did you see an OLB chasing their QB as he sprinted out of the pocket, or have him shoot a gap they vacated on their way to him?

The defensive gameplan was the problem, they needed contain and gap control not rush.

Joemailman
12-20-2021, 08:47 AM
I felt like the rushers were getting through the line, but the result was flushing the QB. How many times did you see an OLB chasing their QB as he sprinted out of the pocket, or have him shoot a gap they vacated on their way to him?

The defensive gameplan was the problem, they needed contain and gap control not rush.

I got the sense Gary and P were taking too much of an inside rush to compensate for lack of inside rush with Clark out. I'm inclined to think that was lack of discipline, not the game plan.

Tony Oday
12-20-2021, 09:05 AM
Savage was bad tonight. The 2 point throw was behind Andrews and Savage didn't do anything on that play that he got credit for. Packers got lucky last night.

Joemailman
12-20-2021, 09:35 AM
Savage was bad tonight. The 2 point throw was behind Andrews and Savage didn't do anything on that play that he got credit for. Packers got lucky last night.

I think the Packers had that play snuffed out with both Savage and Stokes there. Savage's break on the ball may have forced a bad throw. He had a bad day, but I think he was where he needed to be at the end.

call_me_ishmael
12-20-2021, 09:41 AM

Ha I had the same thought. The packers stunk it up but that dude played pretty well.

bobblehead
12-20-2021, 10:33 AM
He looked really good, throws a nice ball. BUT I think Lamar is more sudden in his runs and makes his decisions faster. Huntley is playing his way to a nice contract somewhere else. Baltimore has always been excellent at creating an offensive scheme that fits the abilities of the QB that they have.

No doubt Lamaar is more dynamic. He is simply flat out fast. But to win in the playoffs you need to throw the ball. Lamaar has come up short as a bona fide NFL passer. Huntly didn't remind me of Rodgers or anything, but compare him to Tua or Bridgewater or Darnold. I'll take Huntly over a lot of those guys.

Guiness
12-20-2021, 10:39 AM
Rodgers just 1-5 throwing 20+ yards. Effective elsewhere.

https://charts-cdn-a.nextgenstats.nfl.com/static-charts/900/pass-chart_ROD339293_2021-REG-15_1639973948815.jpeg

The two 10 and 15 yard incompletions on the right are odd. Any idea if those throws when he was rolling out and there was nothing available or from the pocket?

Guiness
12-20-2021, 10:43 AM
No doubt Lamaar is more dynamic. He is simply flat out fast. But to win in the playoffs you need to throw the ball. Lamaar has come up short as a bona fide NFL passer. Huntly didn't remind me of Rodgers or anything, but compare him to Tua or Bridgewater or Darnold. I'll take Huntly over a lot of those guys.

while I agree that he's an interesting prospect, I'd guess a little film on him will dampen things a bit. Right now he looks like a rookie Russel Wilson but can he make throws when forced to stay in the pocket, which is what the Packers should have done last night.

Joemailman
12-20-2021, 12:00 PM
The two 10 and 15 yard incompletions on the right are odd. Any idea if those throws when he was rolling out and there was nothing available or from the pocket?

There was one where Winfree appeared not to have run the route at the depth Rodgers wanted. Also, wasn't Lazard's drop on the right sideline? Not sure.

smuggler
12-20-2021, 12:18 PM
Yes Winfree's route was a ~10 out. Didn't look like bad depth to me, but maybe they go for 7-9 yards.

E: He might also have ran an out where he was meant to run a comeback to the sideline. Could have resulted in a turnover with a better defender. I would have to see it again to be sure.

texaspackerbacker
12-20-2021, 01:47 PM
while I agree that he's an interesting prospect, I'd guess a little film on him will dampen things a bit. Right now he looks like a rookie Russel Wilson but can he make throws when forced to stay in the pocket, which is what the Packers should have done last night.

The most impressive thing to me was not throwing interceptions, although it was just one game, and maybe he just got lucky. He looked a LOT better than Jordan Love - legs and arm both. If I were the Ravens, though, I wouldn't even remotely consider replacing Jackson with him. Lamar Jackson is one of a kind great - an adequate passer and a potential game breaker every time he runs the ball. Even the best of the other running QBs can't compare to him that way. Huntly in this one game anyway, seemed to be up there with Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson and better than Justin Fields for example.

Joemailman
12-20-2021, 05:06 PM
Tom Silverstein

Packers signed LB Peter Kalambayi to the practice squad. He played in 41 games for the #Texans from 2018-'20, and played roughly 70% of their special teams snaps. Definitely signed him for a purpose.

He may not be on the practice squad long.

Joemailman
12-20-2021, 06:43 PM
MLF definitely not happy with couple of aspects of defense on those last 2 drives. Said gave Ravens too many easy catches. DB's have to be more aggressive, especially on 3rd down. Also said there were plays where guys were not ready at the snap. Some of that was due to call not getting in soon enough. Other times though call was in and guys were still not ready as the ball was snapped.

Fritz
12-21-2021, 08:56 AM
I like to hear him express some displeasure from time to time. It tends to get the players' attention.

I'd like to see the team sign one of the guys they worked out - a wide receiver whose name I forget, who has experience returning punts and kickoffs. BTW, Amari Rodgers looked a whole lot more comfortable on his one kickoff return against Baltimore than he did on any punt return I've seen this season. I'd also like to see them bring up the ILB they signed, Peter Kumbaya, I think (!), who apparently can play ST. Maybe that'll light a fire under Ty Summers or Oral Burps.

And where is Malik Taylor in all this? He had a chance to make his mark as the kick returner, but he's botched that.

They miss Kylin Hill more than you'd have thought.

bobblehead
12-22-2021, 09:29 AM

True, time will tell. In a league that gives some average QBs 20 million I just think he is a guy I would target if I'm looking for a QB

texaspackerbacker
12-22-2021, 11:17 AM
Has Huntley put together more than just the one good game? It's possible he got lucky in some ways. It's also possible the Packers D made him look better than he really is. To be clear, I like the guy - a helluva lot better than Justin Love, for example. But to rise to the level of Taylor Heinicke, for example, he needs to do it for at least a few games.

smuggler
12-22-2021, 05:36 PM
He played reasonably well and won his only other start. He played pretty well in relief when Lamar was injured, significantly better than Lamar had been playing, but I admit I think Lamar left pretty early.

George Cumby
12-22-2021, 07:57 PM

I'm with you.

Huntley felt more composed than Jackson.

IDK what it is about Jackson, but like Mayfield, he just doesn't blow my skirt up.

run pMc
12-23-2021, 01:23 PM
Huntley is a good player. If I were a team in need of a QB I'd take a long look at him. Rough around the edges but he has a good arm and is accurate.
Packers D played poorly -- edge (esp. Gary) gave up contain too many times which was weird because anyone could see it and they STILL didn't fix the issue. They also missed Kenny Clark in the middle. Agree with MLF they needed to play a little more aggressively -- I think the coverage played too far off and they didn't react fast enough to Andrews with different tactics (doubling, pressing, etc.). He had like 2/3 of their passing yards.

bobblehead
12-24-2021, 09:49 AM
Has Huntley put together more than just the one good game? It's possible he got lucky in some ways. It's also possible the Packers D made him look better than he really is. To be clear, I like the guy - a helluva lot better than Justin Love, for example. But to rise to the level of Taylor Heinicke, for example, he needs to do it for at least a few games.

Tex, you think every packer 4th stringer who isn't a QB is awesome so how is it you discount a guy who put 30 on our D?

Fritz
12-24-2021, 11:45 AM
Remember, Tex thinks you could put any five Packerrats on the o-line and Rodgers would lead the team to victory.

bobblehead
12-24-2021, 12:14 PM
Remember, Tex thinks you could put any five Packerrats on the o-line and Rodgers would lead the team to victory.
What I wouldn't give for a chance to get destroyed by aaron Donald!!

texaspackerbacker
12-24-2021, 01:07 PM
The time it would take for him to step over your unconscious body after he puts you on the ground would be about the same as what Rodgers has most of the time to make a throw or escape.

I discounted Tyler Huntley? No way. I said he seemed way better than Justin Love. I only suggested that it might be just a flash in the pan or caused by the Packers D. Odds are he really is about as good as he looked. And of course, there are some Packers I discount too - Kevin King is the first that comes to mind, maybe Crosby too this year.