PDA

View Full Version : Studs and Duds, Packers at Corvus Corax.

George Cumby
12-19-2021, 07:48 PM
Studs:

Gutekunst, this team is deep.

MLF, this guy can coach.

Dud:

Special Teams.

Joemailman
12-19-2021, 07:58 PM
Stud:

Rodgers
MVS
Jones
Big Dog.
O-line

Dud:

Savage
OLB's - No contain

red
12-19-2021, 08:11 PM
i don't know how we can go into the playoffs with this trainwreck on special teams

it can't get any worse at this point.

make the fucking coaching change and hope we have enough time for them to get the shit straightened out before the playoffs start. the current guy is not getting anything fixed, and it might be getting worse

RashanGary
12-19-2021, 08:15 PM
i don't know how we can go into the playoffs with this trainwreck on special teams

it can't get any worse at this point.

make the fucking coaching change and hope we have enough time for them to get the shit straightened out before the playoffs start. the current guy is not getting anything fixed, and it might be getting worse

Relax. They’ve had a lot of injuries to starters this year and that probably pulled some of the core STs players away from STs and onto offense and defense. They’ll get. It cleaned up.

QBME
12-19-2021, 11:10 PM
Relax. They’ve had a lot of injuries to starters this year and that probably pulled some of the core STs players away from STs and onto offense and defense. They’ll get. It cleaned up.

Oh fer holy cryin' out loud. Special teams are currently so friggin' far from special that there isn't a bus short enough to accommodate. There's so much shit on the floor it would take a super dooper Otis street cleaner to fix it.

texaspackerbacker
12-20-2021, 02:11 AM
I don't like calling anybody a dud when we win even if it ends up being closer than it should have been. Just the same, a few things deserve negative mention.

Special teams blunders continued, although coverage at least was decent and there were no placekicking screwups. It really makes me wonder what a "better" special teams coach would do different (other than maybe not having Jonathan Garvin fielding kicks hahahaha).

I wasn't real thrilled with Barry. Only 10 on the field on that TD play and having somebody run back on late on another was shoddy coaching. Allowing the scrambles and getting gashed by a mediocre RB is worrisome with a guy like Chubb coming on Saturday.

I have all the respect in the world for LaFleur, but it pissed me off on the first series when he ran it into the line on first and second down, basically farting away that series. He did that at least one other time too, and ran on first down a lot.

Individually, Savage got beat more than he should have, but I tend to blame the scheme more than him. The big guy, Slayton, seemed to be a big nothing. Deguara was a little below mediocre. That's about it.

On the good side, there weren't many if any all out real studs, but there were a lot of very decent performances: Valdez-Scantling first and foremost; Rodgers as always - he looked merely human on two passes but super otherwise; Stokes did his job efficiently; Campbell did a good job spying the QB, but he (or Barry) failed to adjust when they started handing it to the RB; Barnes made some good plays and no bad ones that I saw. Aaron Jones - I say again, I like Dillon, but Jones is head and shoulders better; I've hardly ever heard anybody mention this TE Tyler Davis, but he looks better to me than either Dafney or Deguara; and of course, Marcedes Lewis - great game.

The O Line was fairly mediocre, as usual, but not as bad IMO as sometimes even against supposedly a good run D. Picture Tom Brady instead of Aaron Rodgers behind our O Line. It wouldn't be pretty sight - maybe a dozen sacks.

smuggler
12-20-2021, 06:51 AM
Wasn't impressed by Lazard in this one, but if Rodgers had hit him for 443 I might have felt a bit different.

Fritz
12-20-2021, 07:37 AM
I did watch Slaton a little, and he seemed to be getting pushed around. The D missed Kenny Clark sorely.

George Cumby
12-21-2021, 10:01 AM
I did watch Slaton a little, and he seemed to be getting pushed around. The D missed Kenny Clark sorely.

It's a different team with big KC in there.

He might be the MVP of the defense.

Fritz
12-21-2021, 11:51 AM
I think he is. That whole defense looked different without him out there.

Having said that, I have/had high hopes for Slaton, so I was disappointed.

Joemailman
12-21-2021, 12:15 PM
I think Slaton has a chance to be very good, but he's not there yet. Neither was Clark as a rookie, really.

RashanGary
12-21-2021, 01:01 PM
The bright side is we got a win and Clark got some rest. Three more games of Clark at 110% will be helpful. And then possibly another bye going into the playoffs. Physically, Clark is in a really good spot to make a difference down the stretch.

Joemailman
12-21-2021, 01:10 PM
The bright side is we got a win and Clark got some rest. Three more games of Clark at 110% will be helpful. And then possibly another bye going into the playoffs. Physically, Clark is in a really good spot to make a difference down the stretch.We don't know that Clark is rested. The fact he was unable to play means he had Covid with symptoms. We don't know how severe. Depending on when he becomes asymptomatic, he may or may not be 100% this week.

smuggler
12-21-2021, 02:10 PM
It does mean he won't be getting Covid in the playoffs, for whatever that's worth.

texaspackerbacker
12-21-2021, 03:48 PM
We don't know that Clark is rested. The fact he was unable to play means he had Covid with symptoms. We don't know how severe. Depending on when he becomes asymptomatic, he may or may not be 100% this week.

I was glad they drafted Slaton, and I also still have some hope for him. So far, though, he reminds me of Raji - getting pushed around way too much for a guy that big.

I meant to quote Joe's other post above, not this one.

RashanGary
12-21-2021, 08:19 PM
We don't know that Clark is rested. The fact he was unable to play means he had Covid with symptoms. We don't know how severe. Depending on when he becomes asymptomatic, he may or may not be 100% this week.

Covid is like having a cold. I’m sure he’s fine.

King Friday
12-21-2021, 08:21 PM

If you test positive, and are asymptomatic, you still can't play until you test negative two times.

There is no truth to the fact that Clark is ailing due to Covid.

Sparkey
12-21-2021, 08:27 PM
Covid is like having a cold. I’m sure he’s fine.

Reading some of your crap is like getting a lobotomy. Sometimes I �� wtf ?

smuggler
12-21-2021, 08:47 PM
It's an assumption, but it's probably true. Dillon was very sick with Covid when he had it. Some guys get a little sick, some guys don't feel it, some guys get really sick.

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2021, 09:33 PM
Clark was lighting up his Twitter account on Sunday, so he must not be too bad.

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2021, 09:35 PM
It's an assumption, but it's probably true. Dillon was very sick with Covid when he had it. Some guys get a little sick, some guys don't feel it, some guys get really sick.

One NFL player in two years has been hospitalized by COVID (per Dan Patrick). I’ve only heard of a few guys who had more than mild symptoms. Dillon bring the primary one.

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2021, 09:37 PM
Reading some of your crap is like getting a lobotomy. Sometimes I �� wtf ?

He’s correct for guys playing in the NFL (healthy athletes, most in their 20s). The fatality rate is flu-like for that demographic.

MadtownPacker
12-22-2021, 06:32 AM
Let’s keep it about studs or you will all end up duds before the weekend.

George Cumby
12-22-2021, 08:25 AM
Is Big KC gonna' make the ProBowl or All-Pro this year? Or is that just homerism on my part?

BTW, ThanksTed. Great pick.

Fritz
12-22-2021, 08:42 AM
Is Big KC gonna' make the ProBowl or All-Pro this year? Or is that just homerism on my part?

BTW, ThanksTed. Great pick.

One of those picks they absolutely nailed - said he was talented as all get-out, but very young, and would need some time to get physically developed and learn the game. He did, and he did.

SudsMcBucky
12-22-2021, 08:42 AM
https://twitter.com/DaireCarragher/status/1472970288916836373?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1472970288916836373%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F247sports.com%2Fcollege%2Fwi sconsin%2Fboard%2F23%2FContents%2Frecruiting-updates-7854656%2F%3Fpage%3D1043

George Cumby
12-22-2021, 09:01 AM
^ Holy Cow.

Joemailman
12-22-2021, 09:21 AM
Stokes is the best rookie CB I've seen on the Packers. Better than Alexander was. The only guy I remember who might be comparable was Willie Buchanon. Herb Adderley only started 1 game as a rookie.

HarveyWallbangers
12-22-2021, 09:25 AM
Stokes is the best rookie CB I've seen on the Packers. Better than Alexander was. The only guy I remember who might be comparable was Willie Buchanon. Herb Adderley only started 1 game as a rookie.

I agree. He's already really good.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-22-2021, 09:49 AM

Other than tracking bombs in the air, Stokes has been fine. But let’s not forget that he has had problems covering Wu-Tang wideouts like Chase and Justin Jefferson. Let’s see how he fares in the playoffs before anointing him the next great shutdown corner.

I’ll give Stokes this, though: dude’s balling way better than Ahmad Carroll did as a rook. Make fun of Sherman for the pick all you want, but Sherman never once missed the playoffs as GM.

texaspackerbacker
12-22-2021, 11:20 AM

Don't forget Tim Lewis if you're getting historical. But yes, I agree - even better than Jaire as a rookie.

APB, Stokes dominated the SEC's best in college - presumably including Chase and Jefferson. I assume over time, he will do the same in the NFL.

call_me_ishmael
12-22-2021, 02:55 PM

Wow, that is awesome. What a slam dunk pick at the bottom of R1. Is CB Gootbag's best spot like WR and OL was for TT? I hope so since it's such a premier position.

George Cumby
12-22-2021, 07:59 PM
Other than tracking bombs in the air, Stokes has been fine. But let’s not forget that he has had problems covering Wu-Tang wideouts like Chase and Justin Jefferson. Let’s see how he fares in the playoffs before anointing him the next great shutdown corner.

I’ll give Stokes this, though: dude’s balling way better than Ahmad Carroll did as a rook. Make fun of Sherman for the pick all you want, but Sherman never once missed the playoffs as GM.

Boring.

HarveyWallbangers
12-23-2021, 09:10 AM
Don't forget Tim Lewis if you're getting historical. But yes, I agree - even better than Jaire as a rookie.

APB, Stokes dominated the SEC's best in college - presumably including Chase and Jefferson. I assume over time, he will do the same in the NFL.

Good call. Tim Lewis was pretty good right away. I don't remember well enough if he played better than Stokes as a rookie though.

Joemailman
12-23-2021, 09:50 AM
Good call. Tim Lewis was pretty good right away. I don't remember well enough if he played better than Stokes as a rookie though.

I had a vague feeling I was forgetting someone, and Lewis was the guy. He had 5 INT's as a rookie, but is only listed as a starter in 7 games. Mike McCoy started the other 9 games at RCB. Mark Lee was the LCB.

Sparkey
12-23-2021, 11:34 AM
I had a vague feeling I was forgetting someone, and Lewis was the guy. He had 5 INT's as a rookie, but is only listed as a starter in 7 games. Mike McCoy started the other 9 games at RCB. Mark Lee was the LCB.

11th overall pick in the 1983 draft:

16 interceptions in his first three seasons. Then 3 games into his 4th season, the horrific neck injury.

https://gameonwi.com/green-bay-packers/packers-history-career-shift-tim-lewis/

texaspackerbacker
12-23-2021, 11:58 PM
11th overall pick in the 1983 draft:

16 interceptions in his first three seasons. Then 3 games into his 4th season, the horrific neck injury.

https://gameonwi.com/green-bay-packers/packers-history-career-shift-tim-lewis/

I don't exactly recall, was it a horrific injury? Or did they just discover a defect he was born with?

George Cumby
12-24-2021, 08:26 AM
I don't exactly recall, was it a horrific injury? Or did they just discover a defect he was born with?

Stenosis. Channel the nerves travel through is too small for him to play safely.

I think we had a promising WR in the Oughts who had the same thing happen to him and had to retire early.

texaspackerbacker
12-24-2021, 01:20 PM
Terrence Murphy I think.

George Cumby
12-24-2021, 03:41 PM
Terrence Murphy I think.

That's it.

smuggler
12-24-2021, 07:08 PM
Murphy got hurt on a kickoff return the season before we drafted Jennings. If not for his injury, the entire course of history charges. Who knows if for better or worse.