PDA

View Full Version : Packers Browns discussion

RashanGary
12-20-2021, 07:29 PM
The Browns play today (Monday) and then have to turn around and play again on Saturday. That’s 5 days to prepare. We should have the advantage with a somewhat normal week and being at home. Should be a W

Joemailman
12-20-2021, 07:40 PM
They'll need to have a plan for dealing with Myles Garrett, who will be lined up against Kelly. Jadeveon Clowney is on the other side. Their defense is quite respectable.

Freak Out
12-20-2021, 07:52 PM
Is this the official thread?

Joemailman
12-20-2021, 08:37 PM
I guess. Even though RG left the word official out. Hope it soesn't come back to haunt us.

RashanGary
12-20-2021, 08:50 PM
It’s just a weekly discussion thread. I didn’t know those were official

Joemailman
12-20-2021, 08:59 PM
I think we're good. :-):pack:

Bretsky
12-20-2021, 09:27 PM
PREDICT; How many points do the Browns scores on us in Green Bay ? I don't fear much on that offense. Maybe 10 ?

Joemailman
12-20-2021, 09:33 PM
PREDICT; How many points do the Browns scores on us in Green Bay ? I don't fear much on that offense. Maybe 10 ?

Kind of have to wait who Browns will have available to play. They had 3rd string QB today.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-21-2021, 02:44 AM
Yo, Professor Rand. Please log back on and give us the 411 on the Dawg Pounds. It’s always nice when a local gives us insider information on their 2nd favorite team.

Tex does that with the Cowgirls. The Kentucky with the Striptease Tigers. Fritz with the Mollies. Sud with the Falconers. Mad with the 69ers. Even the abominable O’Day gives out info on the Queens.

Fritz
12-21-2021, 08:49 AM
Yo, Professor Rand. Please log back on and give us the 411 on the Dawg Pounds. It’s always nice when a local gives us insider information on their 2nd favorite team.

Tex does that with the Cowgirls. The Kentucky with the Striptease Tigers. Fritz with the Mollies. Sud with the Falconers. Mad with the 69ers. Even the abominable O’Day gives out info on the Queens.

Couple of things:

First, to be clear, the Lions are not my second-favorite team. I can't abide them. When they were reasonably good in the early 90's, the fans were unbearably arrogant and ignorant. I can't tell you how thrilled I was when the Packers went into the Pontiac Silverdome for a playoff game and and shut down Barely Sanders and then won on the final play with that lovely pass to a wide-open Sterile Sharpe.

Secondly, what the heck is going on with the Brownies? Is Baker Mayfield sidelined by Covid, or is he just too busy making commercials to be able to squeeze a game in? And isn't anyone concened about the Browns getting a Chubby on Christmas?

Their defense is also good. I see a tight game, if the Green Bay makeshift offensive line can't hold up to Garrett and Clowney. Both Nijman and Kelly struggle against quick DE's.

I also wonder if maybe they'll begin to work Bakh back into the mix this week. Maybe a few snaps on Christmas Day to get him back into action and give Aaron Rodgers a Christmas gift?

I also hope that the team can get Myers back for the Lions game, at least, to try to get him back up to game speed. Lucas Patrick is okay but misses a lot of Rodgers's offsides calls by not snapping the ball when he ought. And does anyone even know when Myers might be back? Not a word.

Same on Billy Turner. Has the team ever even said what the damn injury was? I thought it was against league rules to withhold such information.

If Baker Mayfield plays on Saturday, given what Harv has said about the guy's noodle arm, I look for another Rasul Douglas interception.

By the way, for those of you who don't care for Henry Black, remember two things: this is only his second year, and we know safeties take time to develop, and Kevin King played horribly as his replacement in the Ravens game. You'd think with King's size he could match up a little with Andrews, but King was just bad. A dollar short and a day late.

Joemailman
12-21-2021, 09:14 AM
Couple of things:

First, to be clear, the Lions are not my second-favorite team. I can't abide them. When they were reasonably good in the early 90's, the fans were unbearably arrogant and ignorant. I can't tell you how thrilled I was when the Packers went into the Pontiac Silverdome for a playoff game and and shut down Barely Sanders and then won on the final play with that lovely pass to a wide-open Sterile Sharpe.

Secondly, what the heck is going on with the Brownies? Is Baker Mayfield sidelined by Covid, or is he just too busy making commercials to be able to squeeze a game in? And isn't anyone concened about the Browns getting a Chubby on Christmas?

Their defense is also good. I see a tight game, if the Green Bay makeshift offensive line can't hold up to Garrett and Clowney. Both Nijman and Kelly struggle against quick DE's.

I also wonder if maybe they'll begin to work Bakh back into the mix this week. Maybe a few snaps on Christmas Day to get him back into action and give Aaron Rodgers a Christmas gift?

I also hope that the team can get Myers back for the Lions game, at least, to try to get him back up to game speed. Lucas Patrick is okay but misses a lot of Rodgers's offsides calls by not snapping the ball when he ought. And does anyone even know when Myers might be back? Not a word.

Same on Billy Turner. Has the team ever even said what the damn injury was? I thought it was against league rules to withhold such information.

If Baker Mayfield plays on Saturday, given what Harv has said about the guy's noodle arm, I look for another Rasul Douglas interception.

By the way, for those of you who don't care for Henry Black, remember two things: this is only his second year, and we know safeties take time to develop, and Kevin King played horribly as his replacement in the Ravens game. You'd think with King's size he could match up a little with Andrews, but King was just bad. A dollar short and a day late.

Mayfield, along with about a third of the Browns roster, was on the covid list.

Turner was listed on the injury report with a knee. That's all the information they have to disclose. MLF doesn't like talking about injuries.

Douglas and all the DB's need to be more aggressive than they were against the Ravens. They didn't come close to an INT in that game.

Myers was on the practice field with he rehab unit last week. That was the first time he'd been seen on the field since his injury.

Fritz
12-21-2021, 09:24 AM
Mayfield, along with about a third of the Browns roster, was on the covid list.

Turner was listed on the injury report with a knee. That's all the information they have to disclose. MLF doesn't like talking about injuries.

Douglas and all the DB's need to be more aggressive than they were against the Ravens. They didn't come close to an INT in that game.

Myers was on the practice field with he rehab unit last week. That was the first time he'd been seen on the field since his injury.

Thanks for the updates, Joe. Glad to hear that Myers is working his way back. I'm guessing Turner's got a Medial Collateral Ligament issue. I did see Rasul Douglas close on one pass againts Huntley, but that was about it. Or maybe it was Stokes. The guy can cover. Not great ball skills, but he can cover.

I hope the Brownies get some people back - it's not fun when you're playing against all scrubs.

Fosco33
12-21-2021, 10:20 AM
How many of the 20 or so players on their vid list are able to come back by Saturday?

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2021, 10:25 AM
How many of the 20 or so players on their vid list are able to come back by Saturday?

I would think most are vaccinated, so most of them will probably be back. The return timeline is a little more lax than for unvaccinated players.

Joemailman
12-21-2021, 10:34 AM

If they're vaccinated, they can return as long as they have been asymptomatic for 24 hours.

On Thursday, the NFL announced that vaccinated players and staff who are asymptomatic for at least 24 hours can return as soon as the day after their initial positive test from one of the league‘s three options outlined in the memo.

Players can receive two PCR test results that are either negative or produce Cycle Threshold values of 35 or greater. Secondly, a player or team staff member can receive one PCR test result that is either negative or produces CT values of 35 or greater and a negative Mesa test result from a test taken within 24 hours of the PCR test. Both tests can be taken at the same time or less than 24 hours apart.

Thirdly, a player of staff member can receive two negative Mesa test results that may be taken concurrently but must be two separate swabs.

Fritz
12-21-2021, 11:50 AM
If they're vaccinated, they can return as long as they have been asymptomatic for 24 hours.

I wonder if the Packers will ease Kenny Clark in slowly. I would think Covid would more severely affect a bigger person. He might need to take it easy this first game back.

Joemailman
12-21-2021, 12:23 PM
Rob Demovsky

The Packers decided not to practice today after all so the availability with Aaron Rodgers, other players TBD and Matt LaFleur will begin in about 15 minutes.

The schedule change is not COVID related, so rest easy.

Joemailman
12-21-2021, 01:38 PM
Rob Demovsky

It will be at least another week for David Bakhtiari, Jaire Alexander and Za'Darius Smith.

None will play Saturday vs. the Browns. Bakhtiari and Alexander have been practicing but Smith is not ready to even do that yet, per Matt LaFleur.

Joemailman
12-21-2021, 03:26 PM
MVS on Covid list.

It's presumed he's vaccinated since he's been doing interviews in auditorium unmasked rather than on Zoom.

Tony Oday
12-21-2021, 03:32 PM
I wonder if the Packers will ease Kenny Clark in slowly. I would think Covid would more severely affect a bigger person. He might need to take it easy this first game back.

Well he is asymptomatic which means no symptoms, he will be good.

Joemailman
12-21-2021, 03:55 PM
Well he is asymptomatic which means no symptoms, he will be good.

Do we know that? Clark is still on covid reserve list.

Joemailman
12-21-2021, 05:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FHKXxcHXoAUXf_2?format=png&name=900x900

King Friday
12-21-2021, 08:18 PM
I think Cleveland will make a game of this. They desperately need a win. Another loss this week and their playoff hopes move to life support. I expect their defense to show up and challenge the Packers offense.

To me, the key to this game is our defense. We have to play better over 60 minutes than we have in recent weeks. The Browns offense is mediocre, but they have a coach who knows the Packers well and have a run game that must be stopped.

Assuming most players are back for the Browns, and we don't lose more than MVS, this feels like a 24-17 kind of game where the Packers get a TD late and fend off a Browns last ditch effort.

George Cumby
12-22-2021, 08:28 AM
^Agreed. Good run game, good D.

They'll play it tough and have that puncher's chance to win.

Packers can't throw their jocks on the field and win.

It'd really good to get Clark back on the field.

Fritz
12-22-2021, 08:44 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FHKXxcHXoAUXf_2?format=png&name=900x900

Is Ty Summers being on the injury report a clever way to replace him with Peter Kumbaya?

Not good that Bakh isn't even practicing. I am starting to wonder about whether he or Myers or even Alexander will be back at all this year. Certainly seems a distant hope for Dr. Z.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-22-2021, 10:46 AM
Couple of things:

Good post.

I find it funny that some on here have a 2nd favorite NFL team. It’s like being happily married but also having relations with a mistress, not that I know anything about marriage or adultery.

texaspackerbacker
12-22-2021, 11:08 AM
Good post.

I find it funny that some on here have a 2nd favorite NFL team. It’s like being happily married but also having relations with a mistress, not that I know anything about marriage or adultery.

You know, that happens a lot hahahaha. Who else besides me has a second favorite team?

Sparkey
12-22-2021, 01:00 PM
You know, that happens a lot hahahaha. Who else besides me has a second favorite team?

Oakland Raiders. Was a huge fan in the 70's and 80's. They had some great teams and some larger than life personalities during those times.

Joemailman
12-22-2021, 01:14 PM
Joe Buck and Troy Aikman (and Erin Andrews!) with the call Saturday.

Joemailman
12-22-2021, 03:27 PM
Tom Silverstein

#Packers coach Matt LaFleur said that NT Kenny Clark is eligible to play on Saturday. He said there are some protocols he must get through. Said he's hoping he gets through them in time to get back to the facility before Saturday.

Tom Silverstein

#Packers coach Matt LaFleur said that they are giving LT David Bakhtiari the week off. Said he remains day to day otherwise. "We're unloading him for the week," he said. Wouldn't say whether he had a setback or why they haven't practiced him since last Thursday.

Mike Spofford

QB Aaron Rodgers present at #Packers practice Wed. but not going thru drills.
WR EQ St. Brown, TE Dominique Dafney both practicing after missing last game.
CB Jaire Alexander continuing to practice.
Not practicing: T David Bakhtiari & Billy Turner, LB Ty Summers, WR Malik Taylor..

Fritz
12-22-2021, 04:24 PM
What the Packers need, besides good health, is for a Barney Fuckdoggle to emerge out of nowhere right now to fire up the special teams. Preferably a returner. I know they signed a WR with some return experience off someone else's PS.

smuggler
12-22-2021, 04:27 PM
Any word on Josh Myers?

RashanGary
12-22-2021, 04:37 PM

My son was born in 2002. When he was 5 years old we watched the Giants beat the Patriots in the SB. At that time I hated the patriots and cheered really hard for the giants. Ethan became a Giants fan that day.

Since my son is a Giants fan, so am I. They’re my second favorite team.

Teamcheez1
12-22-2021, 04:39 PM
I’m not holding out much hope for Zadarius, Bakh, or Meyers. Perhaps Jaire will actually see the field.

IMO, if these guys can’t practice or play in the last two games, there’s no point in bringing them back this season.

Bretsky
12-22-2021, 04:40 PM

The Rams have always been my 2nd favorite team since the days of Vince Ferragamo and Wendell Tylor. Part of this is because I have always hated the Dallas Cowboys and back then they were always competitors.

And my 3rd favorite team is Hoody Genius' squad.

scharpcheddar
12-22-2021, 05:27 PM
Not even worth talking about.
Packers aren't losing

Guiness
12-22-2021, 06:34 PM
Has to be the Bills for me! Closest to my home, and their stadium and tailgating experience is pretty epic. It's been a few years but pretty sure large parts of it are still gravel and people burn pallets in it during the winter!

RashanGary
12-22-2021, 06:48 PM
Has to be the Bills for me! Closest to my home, and their stadium and tailgating experience is pretty epic. It's been a few years but pretty sure large parts of it are still gravel and people burn pallets in it during the winter!

Gravel parking lot? Burning pallets would leave nails in the parking lot. Not good.

smuggler
12-22-2021, 07:42 PM
Daughter has a soft spot for the 'Phins and they sometimes pulled whacky shit out of their asses like this play to knock the Pats out of the bye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWO37ln16UE

I was feeling better about Bakhtiari until this week when they just gave him the week off. Not looking good.

George Cumby
12-22-2021, 07:51 PM
Daughter has a soft spot for the 'Phins and they sometimes pulled whacky shit out of their asses like this play to knock the Pats out of the bye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWO37ln16UE

I was feeling better about Bakhtiari until this week when they just gave him the week off. Not looking good.

I used to be a Fins fan until they unceremoniously dumped Shula for shellack hair.

SudsMcBucky
12-23-2021, 08:22 AM
Falcons, just because I live here and had season tickets to them for 10 years. But they suck, so there's that.

Joemailman
12-23-2021, 09:29 AM
Packers lead all-time series with Browns 13-7.

Last meeting: 12/10/2017. Packers defeated the Browns at Cleveland 27-21 in overtime. Brett Hundley threw for 265 yards and 3 TD's. Davante Adams had 10 catches for 84 yards and 2 TD's. DeShone Kizer was the starting QB for Cleveland. He threw for 214 yards, with 3 TD's and 2 INT's. The Browns would go 0-16 that season.

The Browns have the 19th ranked offense, 25th in passing and 5th in rushing. In 12 games, Baker Mayfield has thrown for 2603 yards with 13 TD passes and 7 INT's. Nick Chubb has rushed for 1017 yards and 7 TD's. Donovan Peoples-Jones leads the Browns with 478 yards receiving. TE David Njoku has 436 yards and 3 TD's. Jarvis Landry is a good possession receiver who has missed several games but should be playing on Sunday.

Defensively, Browns rank 5th overall, 8th in passing and 9th in rushing. Opposing QB's have thrown for 3025 yards with 24 TD's and 12 INT's. Opponents have rushed for 1479 yards and 12 TD's. The Browns have sacked opposing QB's 37 times, which ranks 6th. Myles Garrett, who is questionable for this week, has 15 sacks.

bobblehead
12-23-2021, 09:42 AM
Good post.

Isn't every packers fans second favorite team whoever is playing the bears?

Joemailman
12-23-2021, 01:14 PM
BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns center and NFLPA president JC Tretter announced Thursday that he has tested positive for COVID-19.

Tretter is the latest Browns player to join the reserve/COVID-19 list. Starting cornerback Greg Newsome II went on the list Wednesday.

Quarterback Baker Mayfield remains on the reserve/COVID-19 list but is expected to play against the Packers on Christmas Day. Mayfield went on the list on Dec. 15 and will be eligible to come off the list on Day 10, according to Stefanski.

Joemailman
12-23-2021, 01:17 PM
Kenny Clark back at practice. No MVS.

RashanGary
12-23-2021, 04:17 PM
Kenny Clark back at practice. No MVS.

That’s really good news. It’s lining up for the Packers. A worst case scenario would have been a high wind game. Then we would be in a rushing battle vs a good run offense and a good run defense. I would predict a loss in a wind game.

But the wind is in our favor with passing an option and Clark coming back after a nice week of rest is good for both the pass and run defense. We should be ready to roll up the Browns on Saturday.

Joemailman
12-23-2021, 04:36 PM
Kenny Clark and MVS on Covid list, so so not appear on injury report.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FHUhv2vWYAEvu8O?format=jpg&name=900x900

Joemailman
12-23-2021, 08:11 PM
Davante Adams needs 33 receiving yards to pass Jordy Nelson for 5th all time on Packers. He passed Jordy last week for 2nd all time in TD catches.

Aaron Jones needs 123 rushing yards to pass Ryan Grant for 5th all time on Packers.

Aaron Rodgers needs 1 rushing TD to pass Clark Hinkle for 6th all time on Packers.

Fritz
12-24-2021, 06:06 AM
Davante Adams needs 33 receiving yards to pass Jordy Nelson for 5th all time on Packers. He passed Jordy last week for 2nd all time in TD catches.

Aaron Jones needs 123 rushing yards to pass Ryan Grant for 5th all time on Packers.

Aaron Rodgers needs 1 rushing TD to pass Clark Hinkle for 6th all time on Packers.

Out-of-left-field question: would the Packers consider bringing in Bashaud Breeland as a possible upgrade over Kevin King? And would he be an upgrade?

Joemailman
12-24-2021, 07:48 AM
Out-of-left-field question: would the Packers consider bringing in Bashaud Breeland as a possible upgrade over Kevin King? And would he be an upgrade?

No. Maybe. Don't know how well he's been playing. Packers aren't going to bring in a guy who was released because of altercations with coaches.

George Cumby
12-24-2021, 08:25 AM
How badly is King playing this year? It appears the new coaching staff has helped him fix some of his problems?

Or is he just not on the field enough for us to see him?

bobblehead
12-24-2021, 09:45 AM
This is an Aaron Rodgers game. If we had any other QB with our shattered OL against that Browns front I would predict a VERY long day and be betting the under with both fists. With Rodgers I think we can find a way to put 24 on the board and Cleveland will run effectively on us, but Baker just isn't that good. We should win this game, but it will be uglier than most here think.

texaspackerbacker
12-24-2021, 01:23 PM
When you're right, you're right, bobblehead. (no politics intended hahahaha)

RashanGary
12-24-2021, 03:55 PM
Packers lead all-time series with Browns 13-7.

Last meeting: 12/10/2017. Packers defeated the Browns at Cleveland 27-21 in overtime. Brett Hundley threw for 265 yards and 3 TD's. Davante Adams had 10 catches for 84 yards and 2 TD's. DeShone Kizer was the starting QB for Cleveland. He threw for 214 yards, with 3 TD's and 2 INT's. The Browns would go 0-16 that season.

The Browns have the 19th ranked offense, 25th in passing and 5th in rushing. In 12 games, Baker Mayfield has thrown for 2603 yards with 13 TD passes and 7 INT's. Nick Chubb has rushed for 1017 yards and 7 TD's. Donovan Peoples-Jones leads the Browns with 478 yards receiving. TE David Njoku has 436 yards and 3 TD's. Jarvis Landry is a good possession receiver who has missed several games but should be playing on Sunday.

Defensively, Browns rank 5th overall, 8th in passing and 9th in rushing. Opposing QB's have thrown for 3025 yards with 24 TD's and 12 INT's. Opponents have rushed for 1479 yards and 12 TD's. The Browns have sacked opposing QB's 37 times, which ranks 6th. Myles Garrett, who is questionable for this week, has 15 sacks.

I’ll be patient next time and wait for a discussion thread. I appreciate your summaries.

On a different note, Kenny Clark has been reinstated from the reserve/Covid list. I like our momentum going into this game. I like the Browns playing Monday and then having to travel for Saturday. I like that the wind is going to be low so we can have a balanced attack and lean on our QB. Everything has fallen in our favor going into this game. Browns are tough, but I like our chances.

RashanGary
12-24-2021, 03:59 PM
We have progressively easier games.

Baltimore, Cleveland, Minnesota, Detroit. We could get some bad luck and have a wind game against Minny. I don’t like Dalvin Cook vs Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon. Cook is the best player of the three and a wind game would play to Minnesotas greatest strength. Same would have been true with Cleveland.

But things are falling in our favor. Maybe we’ll get really lucky and get some of our guys back for the stretch run. Alexander, Stokes and Rasul has a nice ring to it.

call_me_ishmael
12-25-2021, 12:17 AM
This is an Aaron Rodgers game. If we had any other QB with our shattered OL against that Browns front I would predict a VERY long day and be betting the under with both fists. With Rodgers I think we can find a way to put 24 on the board and Cleveland will run effectively on us, but Baker just isn't that good. We should win this game, but it will be uglier than most here think.

Pretty much this. I expect them to win by 7.

Fritz
12-25-2021, 07:18 AM
JC Tretter out, right? That will help the Pack to try to stop the Browms' run game and put it all on Baker Mayfield's noodle arm.

texaspackerbacker
12-25-2021, 01:21 PM

Baltimore, Cleveland, Minnesota, Detroit. We could get some bad luck and have a wind game against Minny. I don’t like Dalvin Cook vs Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon. Cook is the best player of the three and a wind game would play to Minnesotas greatest strength. Same would have been true with Cleveland.

But things are falling in our favor. Maybe we’ll get really lucky and get some of our guys back for the stretch run. Alexander, Stokes and Rasul has a nice ring to it.

I disagree that Cook is better than Aaron Jones. Jones can do more things and has better moves. Cook probably has more straight line speed, although Jones is pretty damn fast too. and of course, the Vikings or almost nobody else has a change of pace road grader like Dillon.

Unless you're talking about a hurricane or something like that Pats/Bills game, I think you're overrating wind as a factor too. I've seen Aaron Rodgers' spirals cut through some significant breezes at times.

Where Cleveland might have an advantage is Myles Garrett, but supposedly if he plays, is less than 100%.

As for the downward progression, maybe. I'm not sure that the Vikings are worse than Cleveland, though.

Fritz
12-25-2021, 01:24 PM
Cleveland is going to be tough. They are fighting for their playoff lives and have a good defense. If the Pack can't stop the Brownie running game, there could be an upset.

kcpackman
12-25-2021, 01:51 PM
Cleveland is going to be tough. They are fighting for their playoff lives and have a good defense. If the Pack can't stop the Brownie running game, there could be an upset.

I completely agree. My gut tells that the Packers may be overlooking this game. I hope I am wrong, but my gut is usually correct.

Teamcheez1
12-25-2021, 02:02 PM
I think between COVID and injuries, the Browns defense has taken a step backwards for this week. It will still be a tough out, but if the offense clicks, and the defense limits big plays, we should prevail.

By the way, where is the game day thread?

George Cumby
12-25-2021, 03:19 PM
I completely agree. My gut tells that the Packers may be overlooking this game. I hope I am wrong, but my gut is usually correct.

Welcome aboard.

Agree. This game is no gimme.