PDA

View Full Version : Home Field Advantage and the Icy Tundra

George Cumby
12-24-2021, 08:32 AM
Until Atlanta this was a huge advantage.

Under Sherman and M3 it lost it's Aura and wasn't as big of a thing.

Obviously, with MLF's record in the regular season, it seems it's back.

Is it?

Do the Packers have a real home-field advantage at Lambeau?

Is the Icy Tundra a place other playoff teams don't want to come and play on?

Those who have attended games under MLF, does Lambeau give the Packers an edge?

Discuss.

Joemailman
12-24-2021, 08:41 AM
In the playoffs, I don't think the cold bothers other teams. They adjust. Packers lost the NFC Title Game to a team from Florida last year. There have been some games in recent years where visiting teams had issues with footing at Lambeau. That could be an issue if the field is a little slippery. Mostly I think it's a non-issue. Biggest advantage Packers have at home is the home crowd.

bobblehead
12-24-2021, 09:37 AM
Matchups matter so much. TB is a bad matchup for us. Their D dominates the run game. On the other hand NO D dominates TB. Homefield is an advantage, but not the whole story obviously, and as travel has improved and hotel accomadations get more comfy I don't think its the same as it once was.

Oh, and for the cold aspect. ARod is a cali boy. Brady played college ball at Michigan and his whole career in NE. Many NFL players grew up in the south and play in the north and vice versa. Its not like TB roster is filled with a bunch of Florida natives, or GB roster is filled with winter hardened wisconsinites.

George Cumby
12-24-2021, 10:35 AM
Technology plays a role as well, IMO.

Modern textiles are so much better than the cotton long-johns players were wearing during the Ice Bowl.

Heated seats, hand-warmers, improved side-line heating.

I think that mystique is kind of an artifact of a by-gone era.

Fritz
12-24-2021, 11:40 AM
Technology plays a role as well, IMO.

Modern textiles are so much better than the cotton long-johns players were wearing during the Ice Bowl.

Heated seats, hand-warmers, improved side-line heating.

I think that mystique is kind of an artifact of a by-gone era.

There was no mystique in the 70's and 80's. It's about how much talent you have. That's the "mystique."

texaspackerbacker
12-24-2021, 01:11 PM
The advantage, of course, was lost when the Packers remade themselves as a warm weather artificial turf team with the advent of domed stadiums in 2 of 3 division cities as well as elsewhere. I'd say that was a pretty successful remake, all things considered.