PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo - Packers vs. Browns

Joemailman
12-25-2021, 06:32 PM
Rodgers 24-34, 202 yards, 3 TD's 0 INT.

Browns 25 rushes, 219 rushing yards, 1 TD

Packers defense 4 INT's

I didn't see the 1st half, but that was a lousy 2nd half.

Discuss.

Joemailman
12-25-2021, 06:35 PM
Adams with a big day, but a terrible drop on a play that put the game in jeopardy.

HarveyWallbangers
12-25-2021, 06:37 PM
First half was pretty nice. MLF with the dud for second half play calling, and I’m an MLF fan.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-25-2021, 06:38 PM
As Tex likes to say, a win is a win is a win.

Unless, you’re Bobble, a win ain’t a win b/c he took the Packers at -7.5. But then again, Bobble’s a millionaire so losing a $100 bet ain’t much.

George Cumby
12-25-2021, 06:39 PM
First half was pretty nice. MLF with the dud for second half play calling, and I’m an MLF fan.

He's usually Aces at second half adjustments, it was puzzling how that didn't happen today.

smuggler
12-25-2021, 06:53 PM
Rough game to watch in the second half for the second straight week. Hope we get the offense figured out. Defense is basically trash at this point.

Joemailman
12-25-2021, 06:59 PM
On the late drop, Adams said he lost the ball in the lights until the last split second. Looked like the ball hit him in the wrist.

texaspackerbacker
12-25-2021, 08:31 PM
4 picks and 5 sacks, but absolutely horrible against the run and short passing game. We can thank Baker Mayfield's stupidity for this win - throwing it into coverage over and over.

I don't know what to think about our D against the run. It was like they were playing pass rush and ignoring the run like you would with a 3 touchdown lead.

Going to a run first offense in the second half was a big mistake. As good as Jones and Dillon are, our O Line just can't open holes most of the time unless the passing game loosens things up.

Yeah, APB, a win is a win is a win, but we aren't gonna get away with crappy D like that in the playoffs. I'm wondering how our D was so effective earlier in the season - did other teams just catch on to some gimmick Barry was using or what?

RashanGary
12-25-2021, 08:36 PM
4 picks and 5 sacks, but absolutely horrible against the run and short passing game. We can thank Baker Mayfield's stupidity for this win - throwing it into coverage over and over.

I don't know what to think about our D against the run. It was like they were playing pass rush and ignoring the run like you would with a 3 touchdown lead.

Going to a run first offense in the second half was a big mistake. As good as Jones and Dillon are, our O Line just can't open holes most of the time unless the passing game loosens things up.

Yeah, APB, a win is a win is a win, but we aren't gonna get away with crappy D like that in the playoffs. I'm wondering how our D was so effective earlier in the season - did other teams just catch on to some gimmick Barry was using or what?

I had a feeling our defense was overrated. Our stars are Campbell and Douglas. That’s a recipe for disaster. There is no way they could keep it up and haven’t. You haven’t seen me posting about being excited about the defense all year. Because I haven’t been and I’m not. Clark and Gary are good. Preston is pretty good. The safeties are good. The corners are alright. They’re a nice average defense.

RashanGary
12-25-2021, 08:43 PM
Any word on Lancaster? He’s not very important, but he does spell Clark. I guess if we can somehow win out, we get a bye week and then two weeks on and then a bye again. We could probably over use Clark, Lowry and Keke and get away with it with the time off.

Joemailman
12-25-2021, 09:23 PM
I'll be interested to see what the defensive coaches have to say about the atrocious run defense. When it's that bad, gap discipline is often as much a problem as losing physical battles. Could be facing Dalvin Cook next week, so better figure it out.

RashanGary
12-25-2021, 09:29 PM
I'll be interested to see what the defensive coaches have to say about the atrocious run defense. When it's that bad, gap discipline is often as much a problem as losing physical battles. Could be facing Dalvin Cook next week, so better figure it out.

And the weather could be worse. The only thing worse than facing Dalvin Cook after that ass kicking is facing Dalvin Cook in a wind game where running the ball is the only option. Yuck.

beveaux1
12-25-2021, 09:55 PM
Our problem is that teams like Baltimore, Cleveland, Tennessee, Tampa, and San Fran are run heavy teams and they are a bad matchup for our defense. They force us to play base in order to stop the run and because we lack speed at one CB and have one safety playing below the level of an average safety, we have to play soft man. We’re very susceptible to the pass in that defense and we have to run it to slow down the run.

When we go to our preferred nickel or dime, those teams gash us with the run, because our roster is loaded with players that are pass defenders first and get blown off the ball defending the run. The 4th quarter against Baltimore and Cleveland are perfect examples of this. We played nickel and dime because we had two score leads and they gashed us for run after run. The first quarter against both teams shows our pass defense weakness against those teams while playing base.

We,ve got to hope Alexander and Z come back by playoff time. They’ll improve our base defense because they’ll improve our pass defense in base. We still will have a tough matchup with Tampa and San Fran, but it might allow us to get off the field on some 3rd downs.

Joemailman
12-25-2021, 10:35 PM
And the weather could be worse. The only thing worse than facing Dalvin Cook after that ass kicking is facing Dalvin Cook in a wind game where running the ball is the only option. Yuck.

I don't expect wind to be that much of a factor. But the forecast is for a high temp of 12 next week. With it being a night game, temps at gametime will likely be in single digits and falling. Both teams will want to run the ball. Tackling Dillon in that kind of weather won't be easy either.

kcpackman
12-25-2021, 10:59 PM
I don't expect wind to be that much of a factor. But the forecast is for a high temp of 12 next week. With it being a night game, temps at gametime will likely be in single digits and falling. Both teams will want to run the ball. Tackling Dillon in that kind of weather won't be easy either.

Between now and next Sunday, things will change - but I just looked at the latest computer guidance for next Sunday. We have 3 models go out that far. Model 1. 6 pm temperature 16, 10 pm temperature 8. Wind increasing 20 -25 mph during the game. Model 2. 6 pm temperature 9, 10 pm temperature 6. Winds much lighter - 5 to 10 mph at the most. Model 3 - completely out to lunch so I would not believe it at this time, because it has temperatures WELL be low 0 during the game. So - time will tell.

Just an FYI - I am a meteorologist - so I know, let the ribbing or shots begin. :x

RashanGary
12-25-2021, 11:13 PM
Between now and next Sunday, things will change - but I just looked at the latest computer guidance for next Sunday. We have 3 models go out that far. Model 1. 6 pm temperature 16, 10 pm temperature 8. Wind increasing 20 -25 mph during the game. Model 2. 6 pm temperature 9, 10 pm temperature 6. Winds much lighter - 5 to 10 mph at the most. Model 3 - completely out to lunch so I would not believe it at this time, because it has temperatures WELL be low 0 during the game. So - time will tell.

Just an FYI - I am a meteorologist - so I know, let the ribbing or shots begin. :x

You guys are good at temps and bad at precipitation. I don’t usually follow wind closely. You’re probably fine on wind too.

RashanGary
12-25-2021, 11:14 PM

If you don’t mind, keep update us during the week on the weather models. I’m sure they get more accurate as we get closer. I’m hoping we don’t see a wind game.

kcpackman
12-25-2021, 11:24 PM
If you don’t mind, keep update us during the week on the weather models. I’m sure they get more accurate as we get closer. I’m hoping we don’t see a wind game.

I will definitely do that. I am also hoping for very little wind.

Now, if I could only make my wishes become weather reality. But hat is a whole other subject. ;-)

Teamcheez1
12-26-2021, 10:45 AM
Not absolving the defense of their poor play, but the offense needs to score more than 3 points in the second half. They completely went into hibernation and allowed the Browns back in the game. Baker has to keep throwing with a two touchdown lead. 30+ points should be the goal of this offense every game.

run pMc
12-26-2021, 12:36 PM
2nd half offense stunk.

Run defense was bad. The CLE OL is generally very good in the run game but they were a few starters short and GB still got gashed badly. Agree some players weren't playing their gaps correctly. It seems like the D has not been playing disciplined -- last week they were giving up contain to easily and Huntley was killing them. This time the LBs aren't filling correctly.

Refs let them play, and that ultimately benefitted GB-- I thought Rasul shoulda been flagged on the last pick. That said, if Baker doesn't throw with bad mechanics/reads then CLE wins that game by 2 TDs.

Packers are playing with fire -- Joe Barry has to earn his money this week and get the D back on track. You better believe MIN is going to run the ball.
Was also disappointed in the 2nd half adjustments (or lack of them). Generally they've been pretty good in the 2nd half of games but I didn't see much this game or last that impressed. They looked like a disjointed team, and I think that's on the coaches.

Special teams played ok from what I saw. Amari Rodgers looks decent on KR and had at least one decent PR.

Joemailman
12-26-2021, 01:16 PM
Rodgers effective short and long. Not so much 10-20.

https://charts-cdn-a.nextgenstats.nfl.com/static-charts/900/pass-chart_ROD339293_2021-REG-16_1640492640260.jpeg

run pMc
12-26-2021, 01:37 PM
Barnes and Savage had bad games.
Campbell guessed wrong a few times also, but he reads off the snap much faster than Barnes. Barnes and Burks have very little feel for zone coverage -- they just kind of occupy space. The pass pressure on Baker was pretty good; it certainly contributed to the picks as did (I suspect) the Covid layoff. Preston Smith was all over the field, and they were doubling Gary and Clark a fair amount. Kenny Clark didn't have all his wind from the Covid layoff but he still showed up at times.

There were a lot of missed tackles -- something that was noticeably absent earlier this season.

Credit to CLE also -- they have a strong running game, and had some clever play designs. Agree with others they could have pulled off an upset had they kept running it instead of throwing once they crossed the 50 on the last possession -- they had enough time and 3 TO's to use. They were a desperate team and played like it. When healthy they are a good team and they impressed me with the fight they brought. They've made progress away from being the factory of sadness.

Credit also to a seriously beat up GB OL -- they kept Myles Garrett from wrecking the game. Njiman played about as well as could be hoped -- a 3rd string tackle keeping a DPOY candidate quiet is no small feat. Ben Braden should either be a G or stay glued to the bench... not impressed with his snaps at T but they were down to him and Van Lanen for depth. Both Rodgers and Mayfield did a lot of quick passing game and Rodgers wasn't sacked as a result.

run pMc
12-26-2021, 01:43 PM
Rodgers effective short and long. Not so much 10-20.

He's least accurate throwing deep to his left. The long one down the right side was a highlight reel one-handed catch by Lazard. I think they've been doing more quick passing to protect Rodgers behind a makeshift line. CLE tackled well and has impressive team speed -- JOK was a blur.

Rodgers has been less accurate throwing deep this year than last. Might just be regression from a crazy good year last year, or it might be the beginnings of Father Time. This was even the case before the toe. At least he still has plenty of arm strength to get the ball there.
This felt like a game where having Randall Cobb on the short throws and MVS on the deep throws would've helped them.

King Friday
12-27-2021, 09:05 AM
Not sure the OL stopped Garrett as much as his groin did.

King Friday
12-27-2021, 09:07 AM
Rodgers isn't as accurate this year because he has a JV OL in front of him. He has to get the ball out very quickly, so the window on deep throws becomes even tighter.

Joemailman
12-27-2021, 09:12 AM
Packers have to activate Jaire by Wednesday or place him on IR.

Fritz
12-27-2021, 09:36 AM
I wonder if Nijman is playing well enough to allow The Flower to open up the playbook a bit and not give Nijman so much help.

run pMc
12-27-2021, 11:42 AM
Pretty crazy that Rasul Douglas went from bouncing around teams and sitting on ARI's PS to being a Prob Owl alternate.

Also - Royce Newman hasn't been screwing up the last few games picking up stunts, etc. which is great news. FWIW he cracked the PFF Top 5 GB players on offense vs. the Browns.
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/packers-pff-grades-best-worst-players-from-week-16-vs-browns/

smuggler
12-27-2021, 12:42 PM
Newman's shaking out the kinks and Runyan has been solid.

JohnMexico
12-27-2021, 01:08 PM
When was the last time a team got run on like that in December won the SB? I went back to 2009 to make sure that Dallas didn't son New Orleans when both they and Indy sabotaged their regular season records in the name of health?

This is a Green Bay thing. Barnes and the Tila dude ain't gonna cut it.

smuggler
12-30-2021, 10:36 PM
That's funny because I think the blame falls on the DL, Clark aside.

call_me_ishmael
12-30-2021, 10:39 PM
Who is second to the left in this pic? Adams, Cobb, Bak wives/finances are always chillin, but I am not sure who the second one is. There is some reference I saw to calling emily, which I assume they mean Emily Nelson. Warms the heart tbh.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSXEIj6LezA/

smuggler
01-01-2022, 02:11 PM
Bakhtiari's brother hangs with them, too. Might be his woman.