PDA

View Full Version : The Curious Case of the IR Decisions

The Shadow
12-30-2021, 10:57 AM
I think the Pack will not play David Bakhtiari at all this year - and wind up trading or releasing him in the offseason as a cap move. Stenavich has shown he can develop younger, cheaper OL talent.
I would not be shocked if even E. Jenkins was not resigned (even after the injury, he would be looking for a big contract) - depending on how dire the cap implications are. If he stays, Billy Turner will go.
Z. Smith will also depart, as well as Cobb & King. Lowery will need to take a pay cut.

#23 will be the resign focus, and Campbell, also.

Joemailman
12-30-2021, 11:16 AM
Cutting or trading Bakhtiari prior to June 1 would increase the cap hit in 2022 by 3.5 million.

Elgton Jenkins is not a free agent until after the 2022 season. His cap hit in 2022 is only 2.1 million. No way they would get rid of both.

Agree with the rest.

texaspackerbacker
12-30-2021, 11:23 AM
hahahahaha this would fit in real well with what I always say about the relative unimportance of the O Line. Just the same, though, I don't think it will be that way. They may restructure Bakhtiari if it is necessary for the cap and/or if he seems to have any permanent or long term lessening of his ability from the injury, but I doubt they get rid of him - Rodgers wouldn't like that hahaha. I would be shocked if they don't retain Jenkins - assuming he gets back to 100% after the injury (is he even due to become a free agent? I would think his rookie contract goes another year or two). Zadarius may very well be gone, King too. I agree about Lowery, although just restructuring is maybe more likely. Turner I don't know. He is useful because of his versatility. Maybe restructure him too if necessary. As I have said before, I think they retain Cobb but for less money.

Yes, I'm sure they will focus on keeping Jaire as well as Campbell and very likely Douglas too.

Thanks for the clarification, Joe - your post came in while I was typing mine.

call_me_ishmael
12-30-2021, 12:44 PM
To me it’s very clear Elgton is the LT of the future. Bahk is under contract and will be back next year IMO. After that I believe he has an out. Maybe they will trade him though. He could net them an R2 probably.

Cobb will be back if Aaron is back. It will be a peanuts contract.

I believe Will Turner is an FA after this year, right? Wouldn’t shock me if he’s gone and Elgton plays RT next year while transitioning to LT the following, giving them a chance to figure out the RT of the future situation.

23 will obviously be resigned, 17 will be franchised and traded or extended.

Bretsky
12-30-2021, 12:59 PM
Gotta sign 23, franchise 17, lock up 12, and clear out a lot of space to make that happen :))

Joemailman
12-30-2021, 01:03 PM
To me it’s very clear Elgton is the LT of the future. Bahk is under contract and will be back next year IMO. After that I believe he has an out. Maybe they will trade him though. He could net them an R2 probably.

Cobb will be back if Aaron is back. It will be a peanuts contract.

I believe Will Turner is an FA after this year, right? Wouldn’t shock me if he’s gone and Elgton plays RT next year while transitioning to LT the following, giving them a chance to figure out the RT of the future situation.

23 will obviously be resigned, 17 will be franchised and traded or extended.

After the 2022 season, Bakhtiari could be cut or traded and the Packers would save 8.7M cap money. Turner is not a FA after this year. Packers would save 3.2M in cap money if cut or traded before June 1. If they keep him, his cap hit is 9M.

Jenkins may not be ready for the start of the 2022 season. If they cut Turner, maybe Nijman gets moved to RT to start the season?

Joemailman
12-30-2021, 01:05 PM
Gotta sign 23, franchise 17, lock up 12, and clear out a lot of space to make that happen :))

You make it sound so easy. :tup:

texaspackerbacker
12-30-2021, 06:08 PM
Some people don't seem to understand the salary cap. Using the franchise tag on Davante would be horrendous for the cap, not to mention a bad thing to do to a prideful guy. Signing him and Rodgers long term will HELP the cap, not hurt it. Similarly, stretching out contracts for Jaire, Campbell, Douglas, and anybody else worth signing make maximum use of the cap.

I sincerely hope they have the good sense to leave Jenkins at Guard where he excelled rather than moving him to Tackle where he was mediocre and then got hurt. I don't really care that much one way or the other about about Bakhtiari, but I think they keep him beyond next season.

Fritz
12-30-2021, 06:22 PM

Yup, and group sex with Jessa Rhoades, Cory Chase, and Alexis Fawx while watching Cherie DeVille kissing Reagan Foxx.

King Friday
12-30-2021, 07:11 PM
You can't dump Bahk and keep Rodgers. They are best buds.

Bretsky
12-30-2021, 08:52 PM
Yup, and group sex with Jessa Rhoades, Cory Chase, and Alexis Fawx while watching Cherie DeVille kissing Reagan Foxx.

Sounds good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

George Cumby
12-30-2021, 10:01 PM

A man of culture, I see.

smuggler
12-30-2021, 10:34 PM
I'm sure Bakh will be g2g in 2022. It's just such a short turnaround for an OL and he probably wasn't slamming HGH, so... it takes time.

call_me_ishmael
12-30-2021, 10:50 PM
Right I would be personally surprised if he was gone next year. I would not be at all surprised if he was gone the year after. I would be more surprised if he was here than gone 'cause Elgton is so damn good and will demand LT money since he was so effective at it.

Fritz
12-31-2021, 06:37 AM
A man of culture, I see.

I majored in film studies.

bobblehead
01-01-2022, 10:29 AM
It will be a very interesting off season. A packers GM has an opportunity to do things no other GM (under pressure to win NOW) can do. Now, I expect Gutes to re sign anyone and everyone he can afford to however....

Imagine if they did move Bak, Adams and Rodgers. Seriously, you have to net the equivalent of 6-7 firsts for that (likely would be 2nds and 3rds involved and less firsts, but equivalent of). In recent years we have seen guys of a lot lesser quality go for similar prices. If you are denver wouldn't you gladly give up 4 firsts and Jeudy for Rodgers and Adams? And Bak might be worth a tad less given the injury, but if he can play at the end of the year here and looks recovered someone would pay up. If Khalil Mack is worth 2 firsts each of those guys are worth near that with Rodgers being worth more.

But here is my big fear, and I'll put it here cuz why not. Bak needed a clean up surgery (remind anyone of Derrick Sherrod?). I am doubting he plays this year. That tanks trade value and you would have to bring him in next season to prove he still has it, hope he doesn't reinjure himself, and then hope someone has a big need after week 4.

If we do go into full rebuild mode, what other packers could get traded? You wouldn't let anyone go who is still on first contracts. You might as well not pay anyone who is making big coin and won't be around for the payoff. Guys like Amos, Smith x2, Turner (all the FA we paid big for) would have to be cut candidates. Hell, 3 of them are cut candidates anyway.

We would suck pretty bad for a season or 2, but then we would be stocked with young cheap talent. Go out and sign a couple guys to fill holes and if Love pans out and you draft well you are in position for another run at it.

texaspackerbacker
01-01-2022, 12:08 PM
hahahaha Aren't they all - interesting off-seasons I mean.

The reason it will be interesting is because hardly anybody is going anyplace, certainly not Rodgers or Adams. Trading Bakhtiari is an interesting idea, but I very much doubt it happens either. Finding somebody that would give something worthwhile in trade for Love would also be nice, but doubtful also. I think we lose Zadarius but not Preston. There too, finding somebody to trade anything significant for him is unlikely considering the huge salary and back injury.

No way in hell the Packers are gonna go into rebuild mode the way loser teams do - not now, not even 3-5 years or more from now when Rodgers finally does retire.

RashanGary
01-01-2022, 12:13 PM
hahahaha Aren't they all - interesting off-seasons I mean.

The reason it will be interesting is because hardly anybody is going anyplace, certainly not Rodgers or Adams. Trading Bakhtiari is an interesting idea, but I very much doubt it happens either. Finding somebody that would give something worthwhile in trade for Love would also be nice, but doubtful also. I think we lose Zadarius but not Preston. There too, finding somebody to trade anything significant for him is unlikely considering the huge salary and back injury.

No way in hell the Packers are gonna go into rebuild mode the way loser teams do - not now, not even 3-5 years or more from now when Rodgers finally does retire.

That’s a realistic timeline. I actually think there is a chance Rodgers takes a lesser deal to stay here if it means he can keep Adams. And I think Adams takes a very slight discount to stay with Rodgers. His chances of earning the whole deal go way up with that chemistry.