PDA

View Full Version : What happened to ML's offense?

kcpackman
01-01-2022, 12:42 AM
In my opinion, this years offense has not looked like ML's offense his first 2 years.

Am I just seeing things wrong? I dont see the jet motions, misdirection, and specific WR route set ups very often.

MadScientist
01-01-2022, 02:39 AM
I don't think you are seeing things wrong. There are a lot less of jet motions and misdirection. The possible reasons are
1) MLF took them out because they were not working. (doubtful)
2) The o-line injuries make those plays less likely to work. (maybe)
3) Rodgers didn't like them, and removing them was part of what was needed to get him to return. (likely)

bobblehead
01-01-2022, 10:16 AM
I think we have run them still. Less often, but somewhat more effectively when we do. I think its the result of a coordinator with eyes upstairs watching for when defenses start committing too early and then we run them to bring back the integrity so standard plays work better. Thats just a guess, but given less of them, but more effective I think I am right. There is no reason to run a play like that if the defense isn't overpursuing.

Joemailman
01-01-2022, 10:48 AM
I kind of thought Amari Rodgers was drafted to run the jet sweep. Whether they're not running it much because Rodgers isn't ready, or whether Rodgers isn't playing more because the jet sweep isn't a big part of the offense seems unclear.

RashanGary
01-01-2022, 11:49 AM
I kind of thought Amari Rodgers was drafted to run the jet sweep. Whether they're not running it much because Rodgers isn't ready, or whether Rodgers isn't playing more because the jet sweep isn't a big part of the offense seems unclear.

This. Those missing parts of the offense are probably related to personnel. They’ll run what their players do well and make counter plays off that.

You’ve seen more quick passing too. That’s because the young OL.

It’s different players this year so a different offense. Next year will be different again. Maybe more jet sweeps with Amari next year.

texaspackerbacker
01-01-2022, 11:57 AM
I'll go with personnel too. Lately, we've had some success with Lazard running those plays, but that's just for a decent gain of a few yards, not a big play. We still run the motion virtually all the time to detect whether the D is in man or zone coverage.

Bretsky
01-01-2022, 12:00 PM
Been saying for multiple weeks we are under utilizing AJO in the pass game. He was a weapon last year when we put him in motion and/or let him run some real routes. Rarely occurs anymore. But PPG, the offense is still working

King Friday
01-01-2022, 01:07 PM
The OL is the cause of all of this. The OL right now it's not a great unit. Rodgers is making it look ten times better than it would if an average QB were under center.

texaspackerbacker
01-01-2022, 01:58 PM
I agree, Friday, but as I've always said, it has pretty much always been that way.

smuggler
01-01-2022, 02:04 PM
Bakhtiari missed the entire season. Case closed.

RashanGary
01-01-2022, 02:27 PM
Bakhtiari missed the entire season. Case closed.

Someone called me an idiot during the offseason for listing Bakhtiari as an average player for 2021. I thought the knee was going to slow him down. I didn’t think it would slow him down so much that he couldn’t play. I figured he’d play less effectively.

King Friday
01-01-2022, 04:29 PM
I agree, Friday, but as I've always said, it has pretty much always been that way.

Not really. Bahk is a great player when healthy. So is Jenkins. We don't have either right now. Losing that amount of talent on the line is going to have a major impact. In terms of pass blocking, a healthy Packer OL is one of the best in the league. That is why we rang up 80 percent in red zone TDs last year.

RashanGary
01-01-2022, 05:51 PM
Not really. Bahk is a great player when healthy. So is Jenkins. We don't have either right now. Losing that amount of talent on the line is going to have a major impact. In terms of pass blocking, a healthy Packer OL is one of the best in the league. That is why we rang up 80 percent in red zone TDs last year.

From last years OL we lost Bakhtiari, Lindsley and Jenkins. That’s three probowlers gone.

texaspackerbacker
01-01-2022, 10:05 PM

Correlation does not automatically equal causation. Causation equals Rodgers.

Upnorth
01-02-2022, 08:07 AM
I think it's oline injuries that are reducing the effectiveness of our run game that is changing our o. Last year we had an above average (at the least) to almost great run blocking line. Combine that with the rodgers threat and a te on point with catching everything and you could unbalance a d.
This tear we have a poor run blocking line and our best pass catching te is 37. Our o is no where nearly as diverse.

I wonder why????

RashanGary
01-02-2022, 02:39 PM
I think it's oline injuries that are reducing the effectiveness of our run game that is changing our o. Last year we had an above average (at the least) to almost great run blocking line. Combine that with the rodgers threat and a te on point with catching everything and you could unbalance a d.
This tear we have a poor run blocking line and our best pass catching te is 37. Our o is no where nearly as diverse.

I wonder why????

Good points.

George Cumby
01-02-2022, 05:14 PM
OL.

red
01-02-2022, 05:40 PM
OL.

i don't think its o-line

if you don't trust the o-line then why are we still looking for deep passes so often?

i think its a-rod running what he wants, just like he did with fat mike

King Friday
01-02-2022, 07:37 PM
Correlation does not automatically equal causation. Causation equals Rodgers.

Then why aren't we scoring 80% of the time this year? We still have Rodgers.

Upnorth
01-02-2022, 08:43 PM
The way we use correlation not equaling causation today would make the scientists who originally said that roll in their graves. It used to mean that where you find correlation is a great start for further research. Now it is used to dismiss counter points lazily.
Often when there is correlation there is some degree if causation.
I believe with our ol there is a fair amount of causation. I would love to hear John Madden compare last year vrs this years oline.

texaspackerbacker
01-02-2022, 09:07 PM
Then why aren't we scoring 80% of the time this year? We still have Rodgers.

Too much running the ball. You heard Collingsworth say "time to unleash Mannion"? Well, inexplicably, the Packers put a leash on Rodgers more than a team does on a 2nd or 3rd stringer. Get away from "run-first"! That's way we had two FGs and a punt before we scored a TD.

You asked, I answered.

ThunderDan
01-03-2022, 09:10 AM
Too much running the ball. You heard Collingsworth say "time to unleash Mannion"? Well, inexplicably, the Packers put a leash on Rodgers more than a team does on a 2nd or 3rd stringer. Get away from "run-first"! That's way we had two FGs and a punt before we scored a TD.

You asked, I answered.

Except as usual you are dead wrong.

The Packers threw the ball 56.23% of the time in 2020. We are at 58.35% in 20201.

So we are throwing the ball more this year and having worse results on O.

Guiness
01-03-2022, 09:50 AM

The Packers threw the ball 56.23% of the time in 2020. We are at 58.35% in 20201.

That really surprises me. It feels an awful lot like the Pack is running more this year than last.

Joemailman
01-03-2022, 10:22 AM
i don't think its o-line

if you don't trust the o-line then why are we still looking for deep passes so often?

Because you need to keep defenses honest by throwing the deep stuff. Otherwise, safeties can play up and make it even harder to run the ball with your mostly 2nd string offensive line.

The O-line is part of the difference this year, but the absence of Tonyan is a factor as well. Opponents had to respect his speed down the seam.

Rodgers' average intended yards per pass attempt (There's a stat for ya) was 7.9 last year. It's 7.8 this year. So there doesn't seem to be much difference in how far down the field they're throwing the ball this year.

Sparkey
01-03-2022, 10:38 AM
Interestingly, last night Davante Adams alluded to the Packers Offense and Aarons Offense in a post game interview on the field.

ThunderDan
01-03-2022, 11:00 AM
Great website here.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-first-down-pct?date=2021-02-08

In fact Packers passing 62.32% on first down this year. In 2020 it was 61.12%.

King Friday
01-03-2022, 11:17 AM
Stop throwing out stats that contradict Tex. He may start advocating for Adams to go back to the bottom of the depth chart.

Joemailman
01-03-2022, 11:53 AM
On the first 4 drives that resulted in just 6 points, the Packers threw the ball 14 times and ran it 9. Rodgers was 9-14 for 71 yards. The 9 rushing attempts netted 79 yards. Packers had 3 plays of over 25 yards. 2 runs by Jones and a pass to Adams. Of the 9 completions, 2 were for no gain, so essentially an incompletion. Packers were trying to throw the ball, it just wasn't working yet.

texaspackerbacker
01-03-2022, 01:08 PM

Pay attention, fool. I said running too much on early downs is the annoying thing - at least before the GOAT puts us several TDs ahead and we're running out the clock. Some ignoramuses around here still seem to not have proper appreciation for Rodgers and the passing game.

texaspackerbacker
01-03-2022, 01:12 PM
A few things the commentators say actually make sense, like that those short passes are basically more like running the ball. Passing the ball down the field is the way to go. That's the only way we did move the ball early in the game, but too often it was after wasting a couple downs running it into the butts of our O Line. Most of the runs that did work were Jones bouncing off those butts and getting outside.

kcpackman
01-03-2022, 07:13 PM
Serious question, does misdirection cut down on the time an OL needs to hold there blocks, or increase it?

texaspackerbacker
01-03-2022, 10:07 PM
Cuts down even takes away the importance of it, assuming the misdirection is done right. It's something you can do when your O Line can't just line up and push the other team back.

red
01-04-2022, 03:55 PM
Because you need to keep defenses honest by throwing the deep stuff. Otherwise, safeties can play up and make it even harder to run the ball with your mostly 2nd string offensive line.

The O-line is part of the difference this year, but the absence of Tonyan is a factor as well. Opponents had to respect his speed down the seam.

Rodgers' average intended yards per pass attempt (There's a stat for ya) was 7.9 last year. It's 7.8 this year. So there doesn't seem to be much difference in how far down the field they're throwing the ball this year.

thats actually is a real nice stat to show

George Cumby
01-04-2022, 05:44 PM
On the first 4 drives that resulted in just 6 points, the Packers threw the ball 14 times and ran it 9. Rodgers was 9-14 for 71 yards. The 9 rushing attempts netted 79 yards. Packers had 3 plays of over 25 yards. 2 runs by Jones and a pass to Adams. Of the 9 completions, 2 were for no gain, so essentially an incompletion. Packers were trying to throw the ball, it just wasn't working yet.

My take is the success on the ground opened up the passing game.

Is that a facile take?

What do you all think?

texaspackerbacker
01-04-2022, 10:57 PM
More like the passing game has opened up the run game as a change of pace.

The fact is, LaFleur and his offense has evolved based on having the GOAT QB. His flexibility and subordination of his ego is the primary reason for Packer success and the primary reason LaFleur should be the Coach of the Year.

The only reason the Packers don't pass even more is that Aaron Jones and to a lesser extent Dillon are that excellent change of pace - even with a mediocre O Line.

bobblehead
01-05-2022, 10:08 AM
That really surprises me. It feels an awful lot like the Pack is running more this year than last.

We are less effective being down 4 starting OL and therefore it "feels" like we are doing it more. If we ripped off 33 yards every 4th run you wouldn't "feel" like its too much. It still needs to be done because....we are down 4 starting OL. If we don't run enough to keep the defense honest Tex's idol will end up dead.

bobblehead
01-05-2022, 10:10 AM

No joe you are wrong. We ran it too much and Arod was godly when we didn't. Stop lying!!!! You throw shade on ARod like this and you really upset his biggest fans!

bobblehead
01-05-2022, 10:14 AM
i don't think its o-line

Do you actually watch packer games? We are running a 100% different offense. Its not even close to the same.

smuggler
01-05-2022, 12:08 PM
bobble is right... There've been basically zero deep shots this season.

Joemailman
01-05-2022, 01:00 PM
No joe you are wrong. We ran it too much and Arod was godly when we didn't. Stop lying!!!! You throw shade on ARod like this and you really upset his biggest fans!

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.925276710.4831/st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

smuggler
01-05-2022, 01:11 PM
I think they gave up on them after week 1. Thankfully.

Sparkey
01-05-2022, 01:52 PM
https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.925276710.4831/st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

https://media4.giphy.com/media/l378c23uPDO1F9dvy/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95238eec060c14a8834544bf1e21841 6ed479a05312&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

texaspackerbacker
01-05-2022, 03:22 PM
What's this about not throwing deep passes? It seems like we throw more this year than last. I recall one successful to Adams the first series and one incomplete to Valdez-Scantling later for sure, and probably several others too. Even the TD to Lazard could be called a deep pass.