View Full Version : More Banjo - Packers vs. Vikings

Joemailman
01-02-2022, 10:30 PM
Aaron Rodgers - 288 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT

Davante Adams - 11 catches, 136 yards, 1 TD

Allen Lazard - 6 catches, 72 yards, 1 TD

A.J. Dillon - 14 carries, 63 yards, 2 TD's

Aaron Jones -8 carries, 76 yards

Gary and P Smith each with a sack and 2 TFL's.

Defense held Dalvin Cook to 13 yards on 9 carries.

Discuss

RashanGary
01-02-2022, 10:38 PM
This is the minimum game I needed to feel good about our chances. No team looks all that scary right now. We’ve got a shot.

I wonder how many guys we’re gonna get healthy??

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2022, 10:41 PM
How in the Sam hell does Dallas look so amazing last week than go full McCarthy this week and be totally average?

esoxx
01-02-2022, 10:44 PM
How in the Sam hell does Dallas look so amazing last week than go full McCarthy this week and be totally average?

It's the NFL.

kcpackman
01-02-2022, 10:44 PM

Washington had about 26 guys out with COVID. I played QB for them last week - enough said!

Guiness
01-02-2022, 11:23 PM
Washington had about 26 guys out with COVID. I played QB for them last week - enough said!

I'm still pissed you didn't see me open on the post route��

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2022, 11:25 PM
When's the last time the Packers had two RBs with over 1000 yards from scrimmage?

I remember Eddie Lee Ivery and Gerry Ellis doing it back in the early 80s, but I can't think of another combo since.

kcpackman
01-02-2022, 11:26 PM
I'm still pissed you didn't see me open on the post route��

Well - ya know, I am 54 y/o and wear glasses - what did you expect???;-);-)

MadScientist
01-02-2022, 11:27 PM
This is the minimum game I needed to feel good about our chances. No team looks all that scary right now. We’ve got a shot.

I wonder how many guys we’re gonna get healthy??

It was a dominant win, but the Vikings went to battle with foam swords and tissue paper shields. Hard to feel anything about the Packers chances after this game.

texaspackerbacker
01-03-2022, 12:34 AM
The bye plus no pressure next week should help, not hurt. I doubt I'd say that with McCarthy, but LaFleur will have them ready.

I think even if we don't get back any of the injured, we're better than any of the others. That and the home field advantage plus maybe getting Jaire or whoever back makes it a strong chance of going all the way. And the Chiefs (and everybody else in the AFC) look beatable too. Assuming we don't lose anybody important to Covid, I think we win it all. And really, I think we could even lose anybody other than Rodgers himself and still win it all.

call_me_ishmael
01-03-2022, 12:38 AM
Man IDK, isn't MILF 1-2 coming off the bye? I always thought Mac was damn good post bye. Overall I'm not super worried about it either way, I think it's more important to not get raped by the covid rules so sit at home and ride the Pelly. We don't need players testing positive and having to miss a game.

HarveyWallbangers
01-03-2022, 01:02 AM
Man IDK, isn't MILF 1-2 coming off the bye? I always thought Mac was damn good post bye. Overall I'm not super worried about it either way, I think it's more important to not get raped by the covid rules so sit at home and ride the Pelly. We don't need players testing positive and having to miss a game.

3-2. The Packers won the Divisional Round game each of the last two years after getting the bye on Wild Card weekend. The two losses were on the road against the NFC representative in the Super Bowl that year (at SF in 2019 and at TB in 2020).

call_me_ishmael
01-03-2022, 01:55 AM
3-2. The Packers won the Divisional Round game each of the last two years after getting the bye on Wild Card weekend. The two losses were on the road against the NFC representative in the Super Bowl that year (at SF in 2019 and at TB in 2020).

Ahh good point, I forgot the playoff byes. Either way, I'm feeling confident unless it's Dallas.

King Friday
01-03-2022, 05:10 AM

Because they have played absolutely nobody this year. Look at their schedule. Who the hell have they beat that is any good? They beat the Pats a long time ago...barely...when Jones was still trying to figure out the correct exit on the team bus. Other than that, the Boys have beaten a bunch of bad teams that turn the ball over a lot. Against teams that take care of the football, the Cowboys lose.

HarveyWallbangers
01-03-2022, 09:20 AM
When's the last time the Packers had two RBs with over 1000 yards from scrimmage?

I remember Eddie Lee Ivery and Gerry Ellis doing it back in the early 80s, but I can't think of another combo since.

To answer my own question: Jones and Dillon became the first pair of Packer RBs to accomplish this feat together since 1980 (Ivery and Ellis). It was in an article on Packers Wire today.

Guiness
01-03-2022, 09:58 AM
Well - ya know, I am 54 y/o and wear glasses - what did you expect???;-);-)

That's ok, this film from practice shows I probably would've dropped it anyways :huh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiQUhTuWvgw

smuggler
01-03-2022, 10:07 AM
Surprised Bennett and Levens didn't do it.

Joemailman
01-03-2022, 11:16 AM

Due to injuries to one or the other, 1996 was the only year they were really a tandem. That year Bennett was over 1000 and Levens was just under 800. Bennett left in free agency in 1998 after missing the 1997 season due to injury.

Joemailman
01-03-2022, 09:23 PM
https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_new_photo_album_2x/f_auto/packers/ipuufdn0dgdke5j7uagp.jpghttps://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_new_photo_album_2x/f_auto/packers/zmh3lt0v57hulusaelvo.jpg

Fritz
01-04-2022, 10:50 AM

Agreed, just because they were both all-purpose backs, though frankly I don't think either was great - they were just solid. But as a duo, they produced.

texaspackerbacker
01-04-2022, 12:51 PM
I'll take what we have now - a scatback who can go the distance as well as jump cut and get yards with poor blocking and a bruiser who can eat up time late in the game and has fair speed also.

The only back we ever had comparable to Aaron Jones was Ahman Green, and I don't even recall who the other RB was at that time.

BTW, speaking of Banjo, did anybody notice that Chris Banjo threw his first NFL pass, completion anyway, on a fake punt for Arizona against the Cowboys last week.

Fritz
01-04-2022, 01:29 PM
I'll take what we have now - a scatback who can go the distance as well as jump cut and get yards with poor blocking and a bruiser who can eat up time late in the game and has fair speed also.

The only back we ever had comparable to Aaron Jones was Ahman Green, and I don't even recall who the other RB was at that time.

BTW, speaking of Banjo, did anybody notice that Chris Banjo threw his first NFL pass, completion anyway, on a fake punt for Arizona against the Cowboys last week.

Ahman Green was as quick as Jones and as strong as Dillon. His only real downside was that he didn't have great hands.

smuggler
01-04-2022, 02:21 PM
He fumbled a lot.

Fritz
01-04-2022, 02:48 PM
He fumbled a lot.

Though I recall that somewhere along the way - maybe his second or third year in Green Bay? - he stopped wearing gloves, and that helped.

But yes, that was his kryptonite.

So . . . who was the greatest running back you ever saw for Green Bay? I go as far back as remembering John Brockington, and I'd have to say Ahman Green was, for me, the best running back I've ever seen in the Green and Gold, fumbleitis and all. He had power and speed and good vision - really good vision.

I think Eddie Lee Ivery could have been one of the greats, but he was injured and in those days, you didn't come back from knee injuries like you do today.

Before he got too big, I think Eddie Lacey was pretty remarkable, too.

Joemailman
01-04-2022, 03:06 PM
A lot of great running backs fumble a lot because they don't go down easily. The list of running backs with the most career fumbles is quite impressive. https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-career-fumb-by-a-running-back

Ahman Green was a great back. But he is not on the list.

texaspackerbacker
01-04-2022, 10:44 PM
I don't recall too many Green fumbles. I also don't recall exceptional power running from him. He had wicked straight ahead speed, but he wasn't near as shifty as Aaron Jones. I'd taker either of them ahead of any other Packer RB mentioned in this thread, though. The only one in my long lifetime I'd take over them is Jim Taylor.

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2022, 11:25 PM
Ahman always fumbled a lot early in the year when it was hot because he sweated profusely. The second half of seasons he’d seldom fumble. It evened out. Way back in the day I think we had threads on here showing that Ahman’s fumble rate was lower than Jim Taylor and a lot of great RBs. Ahman could catch the ball too. He had 4 straight years with 50+ receptions (career high was 73) and 372 career receptions. I love Jones and Dillon, but Ahman was easily the best Packers RB I’ve ever seen.

MadtownPacker
01-05-2022, 09:28 AM
Agreed Harv, he was badass. Turn a screen pass into a 80yd TD like nothing. MFer was gone once the wheels got moving.

Wasn’t it the rubbery Batman forearm guards that caused the fumbling due to him sweating a lot?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Ahman_green.jpg

smuggler
01-05-2022, 09:35 AM
Yeah he liked to protect those elbows, but eventually he swapped to some fiber based white ones and it helped the fumbling.

RashanGary
01-05-2022, 10:09 AM
Aaron Jones is running really strong right now. He’s gonna be a force in the post season.

Guiness
01-05-2022, 10:14 AM
Agreed Harv, he was badass. Turn a screen pass into a 80yd TD like nothing. MFer was gone once the wheels got moving.

Wasn’t it the rubbery Batman forearm guards that caused the fumbling due to him sweating a lot?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Ahman_green.jpg

That's what I remember, it was the sleeves he wore. IIRC an announcer (I really think it was Madden) pointed them out one game, he came back from halftime without them and they were never seen again.

George Cumby
01-05-2022, 11:02 AM
Green was the best GB back I've seen.

He ran angry with power and speed.

Fritz
01-05-2022, 11:08 AM
Green was the best GB back I've seen.

He ran angry with power and speed.

Agreed on this and on the posts regarding the fumbling - I think it was those rubber elbow guards.

I don't recall him having great hands as a pass catcher, but that may be that the offense they ran then didn't use him that way much.

But Mad is right - once he got moving he could go the distance in a flash.

Best Packer running back I've ever seen, which, as I said, goes back to John Brockington. I am still waiting, though, for someone to run the old halfback option, ala Macarthur Lane. I think the dude threw the ball more than Scott Hunter did back in '72. Well, okay, Lane only threw it twice, but he completed both of them. Probably had a better arm than Hunter did, who threw the ball only about 200 times all season.

But definitely Ahman Green was the best I've ever seen. But it was fun to watch Brockington run people over, too, before he wrecked his knee.

Freak Out
01-05-2022, 11:33 AM
Not only was Green the best Packer RB I've seen but it's probably the best trade that was made other than the Favre deal.

call_me_ishmael
01-05-2022, 02:32 PM
Not only was Green the best Packer RB I've seen but it's probably the best trade that was made other than the Favre deal.

Definitely. I'm not even sure Fred Vinson did anything.

George Cumby
01-05-2022, 03:44 PM
Green definitely had more burst than Dillon, maybe as much or more than Jones.

Both those guys have better hands.

Green had an epic OL in front of him for a few years.

Might be a new thread idea in here, "Rate the RB's of the Modern Era".

Totally forgot he was a trade, what a steal.

MadtownPacker
01-05-2022, 04:18 PM
Not only was Green the best Packer RB I've seen but it's probably the best trade that was made other than the Favre deal.It was the real Thanks Ted!!

Freak Out
01-05-2022, 04:20 PM
I thought it was a Sherman deal?

George Cumby
01-05-2022, 04:22 PM
I thought it was Wolf?

Yup. Wolf. Trade took place in 2000. Wolf worked through 2001 draft.

call_me_ishmael
01-05-2022, 04:35 PM
Ronald Wolfenstein

Joemailman
01-05-2022, 05:43 PM
https://charts-cdn-c.nextgenstats.nfl.com/static-charts/900/pass-chart_ROD339293_2021-REG-17_1641184328092.jpeg

https://charts-cdn-c.nextgenstats.nfl.com/static-charts/900/carry-chart_JON026624_2021-REG-17_1641184462297.jpeg

https://charts-cdn-a.nextgenstats.nfl.com/static-charts/900/route-chart_ADA218591_2021-REG-17_1641184422227.jpeg

Freak Out
01-05-2022, 08:35 PM
I thought it was Wolf?

Awesome.

Freak Out
01-05-2022, 08:37 PM
Green definitely had more burst than Dillon, maybe as much or more than Jones.

Both those guys have better hands.

Green had an epic OL in front of him for a few years.

Might be a new thread idea in here, "Rate the RB's of the Modern Era".

Totally forgot he was a trade, what a steal.

That line was pretty damn good. They ran a dive play or something that was basically unstoppable. If you needed a yard you were going to get it.

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2022, 10:57 PM
That 2003 season was majestic.

Green became the first and only player in NFL history to record at least 1,850 rushing yards, average 5.0 yards per carry, score 20 touchdowns and catch 50 passes in one season.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-06-2022, 03:38 AM
Ronald Wolfenstein

If y’all gonna give Wolf credit for the Green trade, y’all need to give him blame for the Jamal Reynolds pick. It pisses me off when uncool Pack fans say that Sherman drafted the milksop edge rusher.

Sherman was OC in Seattle prior to getting the Green Bay gig. The Green deal occurred under Wolf’s watch but Sherman’s perfume was all over it.

Sherman traded for Al Harris.

MadtownPacker
01-06-2022, 07:16 AM
I thought it was Wolf?

I set you stupid asses up. I was talking about from the Seattle side which is why it’s the real thanks Ted because he gave the Packers something great for nothing.

Yeah go ahead and say holmgren was the GM but everything I have seen makes it seem like TT was in charge of that shit. Maybe he was moving piece for when he got the Packers job?

Didn’t you say you are Asian? I thought you folks are bright. Must be one of the Squid Games type that gets killed right away.

MadtownPacker
01-06-2022, 07:23 AM
https://charts-cdn-a.nextgenstats.nfl.com/static-charts/900/route-chart_ADA218591_2021-REG-17_1641184422227.jpegFucking ridiculous!! Even crazier if the chart showed all the fancy footwork. The poor bastards that have to cover him must be exhausted from dancing so damn much! :lol:

Fritz
01-06-2022, 07:53 AM
That line was pretty damn good. They ran a dive play or something that was basically unstoppable. If you needed a yard you were going to get it.

Except on fourth and goal in Philadelphia. Damn.

Freak Out
01-06-2022, 11:46 AM
Except on fourth and goal in Philadelphia. Damn.

Brutal. That and 4th and 26.

Freak Out
01-06-2022, 11:48 AM
I set you stupid asses up. I was talking about from the Seattle side which is why it’s the real thanks Ted because he gave the Packers something great for nothing.

Yeah go ahead and say holmgren was the GM but everything I have seen makes it seem like TT was in charge of that shit. Maybe he was moving piece for when he got the Packers job?

Didn’t you say you are Asian? I thought you folks are bright. Must be one of the Squid Games type that gets killed right away.

Ha ha! TT showing some Packer love.

George Cumby
01-06-2022, 11:55 AM

Who shit in your frijoles?

Sparkey
01-06-2022, 01:28 PM

:glug: :bclap:

Joemailman
01-06-2022, 01:44 PM
TT didn't do the Green trade. That was all Holmgren. TT in Seattle primarily ran the scouting department and ran their draft board. He wasn't the one making trades. He didn't have that power. Holmgren did. Holmgren could never tolerate fumbles by running backs. He hated it. That was true is Green Bay. It proved true in Seattle. Green in his 2 seasons with Seattle fumbled 3 times on just about 60 carries. That's why Holmgren traded him away to Green Bay. Thanks Mike!

texaspackerbacker
01-06-2022, 06:42 PM
If y’all gonna give Wolf credit for the Green trade, y’all need to give him blame for the Jamal Reynolds pick. It pisses me off when uncool Pack fans say that Sherman drafted the milksop edge rusher.

Sherman was OC in Seattle prior to getting the Green Bay gig. The Green deal occurred under Wolf’s watch but Sherman’s perfume was all over it.

Good Post. Sherman played it close to the edge cap-wise, which I liked and Ted didn't do.

I have to say I was really happy when we drafted Jamal Reynolds - I thought we needed a fast edge rusher/Lawrence Taylor type. Too bad he bombed out.

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2022, 08:58 PM

The Green trade and Reynolds Pick didn’t happen in the same year, so no we don’t have to give credit to Sherman for the Green trade. We traded for Ahman in 2000. Sherman took over GM duties in 2001. I don’t blame Sherman for the Reynolds pick because he wasn’t running that draft board—although he ultimately does get some blame because he did have the title.

Fritz
01-07-2022, 09:51 AM
It's always been a question as to who had the final say in that particular draft.