PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers vs. Lions Discussion Thread

Joemailman
01-03-2022, 02:43 PM
Packers lead all-time series 105-72-7.

Last meeting: September 20th, 2021. Packers overcame a 17-14 halftime deficit to win going away 35-17. Aaron Rodgers threw for 255 yards and 4 TD's. Aaron Jones has 115 total yards and 4 TD's. Davante Adams had 8 catches for 121 yards.

Offensively, Lions rank 22nd overall, 21st in passing and 18th in rushing. In 13 games, Jared Goff has passed for 3007 yards with 17 TD's and 8 INT's. Amon-Ra St. Brown leads Lions with 803 receiving yards and 4 TD's. In 12 games D'Andre Swift has 587 rushing yards and 4 TD's. Jamaal Williams has 558.

Defensively Lions rank 28th overall, 25th against the pass and 28th against the rush. Opposing QB's have passed for 3904 yards with 28 TD's and 9 INT's. Opponents have rushed for 2174 yards and 18 TD's. Lions have sacked opposing QB's 26 times, led by Charles Harris with 7.5.

Packers opened up as 11 point favorites, but are now off the board due to uncertainty about whether Packer starters will play.

Joemailman
01-03-2022, 03:35 PM
MLF said the plan is for Bakhtiari to practice this week. He hedged on the question of whether a guy like Bakhtiari could play in the playoffs if he doesn't play this week.

Bretsky
01-03-2022, 03:38 PM
The right thing to do is sit the starters; but in Adams presser it was brought up that he's about 30 years away form Jordy's single season record and he wants to get it. Wish they would have left AROD and DA in one more series and take care of the record.

Anyways, I think the starters will play about the quarter. But IMO it's the wrong call

call_me_ishmael
01-03-2022, 03:40 PM
Totally agree, they should have wrapped it up last night so they can rest next week. Too risky with omnicron or aggrocrag or whatever it’s called. Sit ‘em, unless they really throw a stink about it. Then play them a series then sit em.

RashanGary
01-03-2022, 03:54 PM
The exciting thing about the reserve Covid list this week is it doesn’t matter. The more the merrier because it ensures they won’t miss the playoffs.

George Cumby
01-03-2022, 03:54 PM
Tim Boyle played with more heart yesterday than I've seen Jared Golf ever play with.

Joemailman
01-03-2022, 04:06 PM
I think maybe going 3 weeks between competitive games is too long. I guess I have bad memories from Packers sitting Rodgers and Woodson last game of 2011 season and then laying an egg in playoffs vs Giants.

I liked the way McCarthy handled it in 2007. Favre started. Packers came out and played very aggressively and built 21-3 lead early in 2nd quarter. Pulled Favre and put in Craig Nall to mop up.

QBME
01-03-2022, 04:38 PM
I think maybe going 3 weeks between competitive games is too long. I guess I have bad memories from Packers sitting Rodgers and Woodson last game of 2011 season and then laying an egg in playoffs vs Giants.

I liked the way McCarthy handled it in 2007. Favre started. Packers came out and played very aggressively and built 21-3 lead early in 2nd quarter. Pulled Favre and put in Craig Nall to mop up.

Agree totally. Treat it like a preseason game 3. Starters play the first half as a final tune up, then pull the bigs.

Joemailman
01-03-2022, 04:42 PM
Kyle Malzhan
@KyleMalzhan

The #Packers just placed Dennis Kelly, Darnell Savage, and David Moore on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

An already thin offensive line unit gets thinner and the best returner Green Bay has had all season, who only played one game, is now on the COVID-19 list.

These guys could potentially play Sunday if asymptomatic.

HarveyWallbangers
01-03-2022, 04:45 PM
The exciting thing about the reserve Covid list this week is it doesn’t matter. The more the merrier because it ensures they won’t miss the playoffs.

The next two weeks really. Let them get that cold out of the way.

Harlan Huckleby
01-03-2022, 05:38 PM
The right thing to do is sit the starters; but in Adams presser it was brought up that he's about 30 years away form Jordy's single season record and he wants to get it.

Single season records are crap anyway with number of games played changing

Joemailman
01-03-2022, 06:24 PM
Packers haven't had a double-digit win at Detroit since Thanksgiving Day 2011. Lions always come ready to play in this game.

kcpackman
01-03-2022, 07:16 PM

I am kinda with you here.

RashanGary
01-03-2022, 10:03 PM
Man, I’m hoping for injury luck the rest of the way. We’re in the mix every year with Aaron Rodgers but only have one ring to show for it. It would be nice to have a really lucky last part of the year and somehow win one more.

Joemailman
01-03-2022, 11:12 PM
MK Burgess
@MK_Burgess
“Nobody spends more time on his eyebrows than Matt” Rodgers on LaFleur

“Those things are on point” #Packers #Manningcast

call_me_ishmael
01-04-2022, 09:38 AM
Packers haven't had a double-digit win at Detroit since Thanksgiving Day 2011. Lions always come ready to play in this game.

Wow, that is shocking. I do remember that game though. I am really surprised in 2014 they didn't blow 'em out because that offense was really rollin' that year.

Joemailman
01-04-2022, 10:42 AM
Wow, that is shocking. I do remember that game though. I am really surprised in 2014 they didn't blow 'em out because that offense was really rollin' that year.

Packers actually lost at Detroit 19-7. That game was played in September when the Packers were not yet playing well.

Fritz
01-04-2022, 10:46 AM
Single season records are crap anyway with number of games played changing

I have to agree here. During Don Hutson's time, the season was twelve games - twelve! So how meaningful is it to have a single-season yardage record when you had seventeen games and Jordy Nelson had sixteen and Don Hutson had twelve?

I would like to see the starters play the first quarter, and call it a day. Come out aggressive. That Lions' team has no talent but they play hard. So give it back to them. Then you can put the reserves in. Though there are no reserves on the offensive line at all . . .

I wonder what the team will do with David Moore. I'd like to see them keep him, but at whose expense?

MadtownPacker
01-04-2022, 11:43 AM
The shit is simple. Records should be archived/reset when a new rule or change of games in the NFL takes place. For example, the new QB protection rules should reset the sack record. Just like QB can’t get destroyed much less touched then QB record standards should be set be era. If Brady throws 40TDs on 400 completions is that the same as Bart Starr throwing 8TDs on 80? Same accuracy, less throws, while taking shots almost every pass that would draw penalties today. The play style of the era needs to accounted for or the records are all trash.

Harlan Huckleby
01-04-2022, 12:00 PM
TLDR

Guiness
01-04-2022, 12:09 PM

Craig Nall, those were the days! Someone here, ATPB maybe, was quite convinced he was going to be Favre's eventual replacement. Keep in mind this was Rodger's 3rd season with the team! I was never sure just how serious they were.

King Friday
01-04-2022, 07:02 PM
Craig Nall could probably start for the Lions right now.

RashanGary
01-04-2022, 08:20 PM
I’m glad to see Dennis Kelly is off the Covid list. I want to see Rodgers have some protection this week.

MadScientist
01-04-2022, 09:40 PM
So does Love get The whole game or does Benkert get a quarter or half?

smuggler
01-04-2022, 09:46 PM
I think Rodgers goes until he gets his fill, then get Love in until the game is decided, then swap to Benkert.

Bretsky
01-04-2022, 09:53 PM
Craig Nall could probably start for the Lions right now.

And one might argue if he was still here and AROD was taking the day off Boyle could start for GB :)))

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2022, 11:19 PM
And one might argue if he was still here and AROD was taking the day off Boyle could start for GB :)))

Nobody is arguing that. Boyle has been even worse than Love this year. 6 interceptions in 94 pass attempts. And this is basically Love’s rookie year. There was no preseason last year.

Joemailman
01-05-2022, 12:01 PM
MLF said today's practice is pretty much a walk through. Said Bakhtiari will do individual drills and then might take part in some of the team walk throughs. Myers will be doing individual drills. Jaire is on covid list. Doesn't expect Z will be out there.

Joemailman
01-05-2022, 12:56 PM
Surprised how much of the country, including Alaska and Hawaii will see Packers at Lions. Rodgers sells. Kevin Burkhardt and Greg Olson with the call. Northwest Wisconsin gets Bears at Vikings. Gus Johnson and Aqib Talib with the call.

https://506sports.com/2021/18-FOX-E.png

smuggler
01-05-2022, 01:10 PM
Olsen is a joy. He's not super heady, but he has charisma and he's not without insight.

Fritz
01-05-2022, 02:18 PM
Boyle is a competitor, but he has not been good this year - I know the Lions are horrible, but Boyle has thrown some head-scratchers nonetheless.

I wonder if maybe The Flower will give Benkert a few snaps, to see if maybe he's good enough to be a second stringer next year. Whether behind Rodgers or Love. Though it looks more and more like Rodgers will be back. How you do that and sign Davante Adams and keep Preston Smith or any of a host of other players is beyond me.

Joemailman
01-05-2022, 02:39 PM
Boyle is a competitor, but he has not been good this year - I know the Lions are horrible, but Boyle has thrown some head-scratchers nonetheless.

I wonder if maybe The Flower will give Benkert a few snaps, to see if maybe he's good enough to be a second stringer next year. Whether behind Rodgers or Love. Though it looks more and more like Rodgers will be back. How you do that and sign Davante Adams and keep Preston Smith or any of a host of other players is beyond me.

You keep extending and backloading contracts. You can do that because there are reports that salary cap will be 230M in 2023, 250M in 2024 and 270M in 2025. The key is which guys you extend. Right now Preston Smith looks like a better choice than Z because of Z's back problems. Health is a big issue because giving big signing bonuses to guys with questionable health situations is where you can get in trouble.

texaspackerbacker
01-05-2022, 03:45 PM
Excellent Post, Joe. All things are possible if it is handled right and use of the cap is maximized. I've been saying that all along - everybody worth keeping will be kept - Rodgers, Adams, Jaire, Campbell, Douglas, Tonyan, Valdez-scantling, P. Smith, etc. Probably Zadarius goes, and probably Cobb signs for a lot less.

Joemailman
01-05-2022, 05:47 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIXiyjBWQAYdkKP?format=jpg&name=large

red
01-05-2022, 05:51 PM

yes and yes

3 weeks is way too long to sit, gotta get them some playing time

get up big in the first half, then let the main guys sit

Upnorth
01-06-2022, 07:00 AM
Treat it like preseasin (for non oackers teams anyway). Starters get a couple series. Then love machine and friends

QBME
01-06-2022, 08:40 AM
Surprised how much of the country, including Alaska and Hawaii will see Packers at Lions. Rodgers sells. Kevin Burkhardt and Greg Olson with the call. Northwest Wisconsin gets Bears at Vikings. Gus Johnson and Aqib Talib with the call.

The wife and I have gotten the Sunday Ticket package for the past 20+ years for the express intent of watching all the out-of-market Pack games down here in the flat land. Sunday will be the first game this season we'll need to use it. There was also a single game last season.

MadtownPacker
01-06-2022, 09:51 AM
That’s what you get for paying the machine. I rehabbed from Sunday Tickets almost a decade ago and don’t regret it. Free or fug em.

Freak Out
01-06-2022, 11:42 AM

Thanks for these Joe.

SudsMcBucky
01-06-2022, 12:45 PM
That’s what you get for paying the machine. I rehabbed from Sunday Tickets almost a decade ago and don’t regret it. Free or fug em.

Yep. I've had it free probably every other year from DTV. Don't pay for the odd years. Although, I've had it free the last 2 years straight.

Joemailman
01-06-2022, 01:14 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz
@WesHod

No big changes other than QB Aaron Rodgers practiced Thursday.

DL Kingsley Keke worked off to the side but not practicing. Marcedes Lewis took his vet day. David Bakhtiari had rest day

CB Jaire Alexander, T Billy Turner still on Covid list. #Packers

Sparkey
01-06-2022, 01:24 PM
I expect Rodgers to play 1st quarter and then Love handles the rest of the game.

No point in taking a chance on AR getting hurt. Plus getting Love more reps is important if a worst case scenario, AR gets hurt, happens in the playoffs.

scharpcheddar
01-06-2022, 06:14 PM
3rd stringers

Fritz
01-07-2022, 09:52 AM
I expect Rodgers to play 1st quarter and then Love handles the rest of the game.

No point in taking a chance on AR getting hurt. Plus getting Love more reps is important if a worst case scenario, AR gets hurt, happens in the playoffs.

Love handles. Hmm.

Joemailman
01-07-2022, 12:24 PM
Mike Spofford
@mikespofford

#Packers CB Jaire Alexander practicing Friday, working way back from Covid list.
QB Aaron Rodgers practicing for 2nd straight day.
T David Bakhtiari returns after conditioning Thursday.
DL Kingsley Keke (illness), T Billy Turner (Covid) not practicing.

Jaire practicing with the hoodie inside. https://twitter.com/i/status/1479517319911067649

Biggest jerk practicing. https://twitter.com/i/status/1479517407395954696

call_me_ishmael
01-07-2022, 12:32 PM
Let Rodgers get a solid 2 TD, 200 yds, and 130+ rating in the first quarter and a half or so then let the JLove show take over. Use the second half to sling it and get some answers about JLove. We need JLove throwing and running a proper offense.

Harlan Huckleby
01-07-2022, 12:46 PM

why risk rodgers for a single snap? he doesn't need the practice, he stays in form in real practice

Harlan Huckleby
01-07-2022, 12:47 PM
Love handles. Hmm.

good catch, dirty old man

call_me_ishmael
01-07-2022, 01:29 PM
why risk rodgers for a single snap? he doesn't need the practice, he stays in form in real practice

Because he wants a game to pad his stats and give Devante the record and get himself an MVP award.

Joemailman
01-07-2022, 02:00 PM
I don't worry about Rodgers so much. He'll likely get hit very little. I worry more about a guy like Clark who gets double-teamed every play. Or Campbell who is in on so many plays. Or any of the O-linemen. It's a gamble they're taking. But going 3 weeks between competitive games would be a gamble too.

Joemailman
01-07-2022, 02:07 PM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

#Packers coach Matt LaFleur said that practice squad WR David Moore will not be available to be elevated to the 53 because he's on the COVID list and Amari Rodgers will return punts. He said he wants to get Rodgers more involved with the offense Sunday, too.

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

Summary of LaFleur's Friday presser: Aaron Rodgers is playing; Jaire Alexander, Randall Cobb and David Moore won't play; C Josh Myers will come off IR and play; LT David Bakhtiari will play only if they feel good with where he's at following two days of practice.

Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood

Asked Matt LaFleur why #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers needs to play vs. Lions. He does not agree with the premise: "I don't think he necessarily needs to play. I think he wants to play and keep the momentum going."

Sounds like a collaborative choice being made here..

smuggler
01-07-2022, 02:29 PM
Wow. So Myers and Bakhtiari both might be back on Sunday?

RashanGary
01-07-2022, 02:31 PM
Bakh is questionable. It would be nice to get him a little playing time before the post season.

Joemailman
01-07-2022, 02:36 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIhqqTvXIAIuhhn?format=jpg&name=900x900

smuggler
01-07-2022, 04:02 PM
Man Keke is just fragile.

George Cumby
01-07-2022, 04:26 PM
Man Keke is just fragile.

Italian, is he?

texaspackerbacker
01-07-2022, 07:16 PM

With Moore being in the picture going forward - playoffs and next season, this may be put up or shut up time for Amari Rodgers. He needs to carve out a role for himself in the offense in addition to maybe looking better as a returner.

Teamcheez1
01-07-2022, 07:17 PM
Zadarius is done as a Packer.

texaspackerbacker
01-07-2022, 07:44 PM
Is that an opinion? Or have you heard something?

Joemailman
01-07-2022, 07:46 PM
Probably an opinion, but it's probably right.

call_me_ishmael
01-08-2022, 12:43 AM
I guess I don't get what was with Z that he could practice in camp, play half of week one, and then miss the rest of the year. I don't even think he got hurt week 1? The only thing is odd. I agree he gone, and thankfully Preston Smith has seemingly figured it out.

Prestone will be the starter next year with a new R1 pick backing him up.

Bretsky
01-08-2022, 02:09 AM
There was a lot of odd stuff going on early year with Z
He was unhappy with his contract and GB didn't want to extend; he didn't practice hardly at all
He "was" team captain but this year he was not voted as one of the team captains
One of the radio guys said he created a necklace for himself with a captain reference on it
And he went on to say he didn't believe Z would every play another down in Green Bay

Recently I had blacked all of that out and thought maybe he'd come back.

SO WHAT IS OUT THERE INDCATING HE's DONE ?????

Bretsky
01-08-2022, 02:09 AM
ANYBODY THINK AJO iS GOING TO PLAY ???????????

smuggler
01-08-2022, 02:38 AM
Nah, I don't think it really makes sense for Jones to play when he's got a bum wheel. Let him rest it. He's not going to forget how to run over the break.

Fritz
01-08-2022, 07:38 AM
Nah, I don't think it really makes sense for Jones to play when he's got a bum wheel. Let him rest it. He's not going to forget how to run over the break.

Agreed. Why send him out there with a sore knee? Interesting that Myers will play. If he can get bck to where he was before he was hurt, that could help the running game. I see no reason to play Devondre Campbell, either. And frankly, I might sit Kenny Clark. Dude has played a lot of snaps, and is the centerpiece of that defense. Give Slaton the snaps. And get Rodgers and Adams out after the first quarter or so.

George Cumby
01-08-2022, 08:23 AM
Give Jones' legs a break. Get him fresh for the Divisional round.

Joemailman
01-08-2022, 10:06 AM
Give Jones' legs a break. Get him fresh for the Divisional round.

If he breaks a leg, I'll blame you.

Joemailman
01-08-2022, 10:08 AM
Bill Huber
@BillHuberSI

How much money will you make this weekend? Preston Smith will make $750,000 if he gets one sack on Sunday.

More than that, he's gone from cost-cutting cut to potential defensive fixture with a big-time season.

He's made himself a lot of future money this year.

texaspackerbacker
01-08-2022, 12:31 PM
Coaches don't always do what they say they're gonna do. I'd be surprised if Jones plays more than a few snaps. Campbell shouldn't and probably won't either. Rodgers and Adams will probably pad some stats but sit the second half or longer.

On the Lions side, they're better off losing this game than winning it. I hope they coach and/or play that way. A win loses them the top draft pick, assuming Jacksonville loses. (they didn't trade it away for Goff, did they?)

George Cumby
01-08-2022, 12:40 PM
If he breaks a leg, I'll blame you.

Hahahaha.

The Dad Jokes are strong in this one.

Joemailman
01-08-2022, 12:42 PM
Coaches don't always do what they say they're gonna do. I'd be surprised if Jones plays more than a few snaps. Campbell shouldn't and probably won't either. Rodgers and Adams will probably pad some stats but sit the second half or longer.

On the Lions side, they're better off losing this game than winning it. I hope they coach and/or play that way. A win loses them the top draft pick, assuming Jacksonville loses. (they didn't trade it away for Goff, did they?)

Lions will play to win. They currently have the 2nd pick (and the Rams 1st round pick). I don't think getting the 1st overall pick is that big of a deal because there doesn't seem to be a consensus #1 pick. Besides, even if they lose they wouldn't get the #1 pick unless the Jaguars upset the Colts. Plus, winning doesn't mean the Lions would be drafting later than 2nd.

esoxx
01-08-2022, 10:01 PM
Zadarius is done as a Packer.

It's really a shame about Big Z. The guy was super disruptive. Was listening recently to a former offensive coordinator from the NFC and he said the first thing you did when you played Green Bay was to identify where #55 was going to be and scheme accordingly. You had to account for him at all times and that's what started the offensive game plan. He could ruin you.

A real damn shame.

Have to give Barry even more credit not having his two best players for the majority of the season in Big Z & Jaire and somehow making it work, for the most part.

Joemailman
01-08-2022, 10:11 PM
I guess I don't get what was with Z that he could practice in camp, play half of week one, and then miss the rest of the year. I don't even think he got hurt week 1? The only thing is odd. I agree he gone, and thankfully Preston Smith has seemingly figured it out.

He was out much of camp. The idea was to get him ready for the start of the regular season. He played some Week 1 and the back flared upon him again. He was placed on IR 9/17. Early October he decided to have the surgery.

texaspackerbacker
01-08-2022, 10:16 PM

Having Prestone is good in the Wisconsin winter.

Fritz
01-09-2022, 09:30 AM
The Lions play hard, no matter who's on the field for them. So I hope the Packers bring their grown-up boy underwear.

And that nobody gets hurt. Please.

King Friday
01-09-2022, 11:21 AM
This needs to be approached the same way the 2nd preseason games used to be played. Starters in for 2-3 series, then get the backups in there. Fully expect the Lions to win this one, as their starters will play the whole game.