PDA

View Full Version : A player who could step up?

RashanGary
01-13-2022, 06:49 PM
The 2010 season we got a fresh legged James Starks back and he improved the run game.

Jordy Nelson all of a sudden came on as a player and helped put us over the top.

Who’s on the roster now that could be a surprise contributor to a SB run?

I think it could be Alan Lazard and Josiah Deguara. Lazard is really starting to click in the offense and so is Josiah. We could see some big playoff contributions from a couple unlikely pieces.

red
01-13-2022, 07:56 PM
z smith if he can get healthy

and alexader is gonna make a massive difference

i mean honestly. we're getting 3 pro bowlers back for the playoffs. thats pretty damn big

bobblehead
01-13-2022, 09:00 PM
Agree with red. Z is the Z factor. Think charles haley effect. If we have a lead late Z will pin back the ears for 20-25 snaps.

KYPack
01-13-2022, 09:24 PM
We are getting boat loads of guys back off injury.

Randall Cobb
Jaire Alexander
Z Smith
Billy Turner
Whitney Mercilus

Were all practicing in pads on Wed.
Not walk thrus or individual, running around in pads.

+ the guys that were held out of the Lions game D Campbell etc.

The only negative on the health front was Lucas Patrick hitting the Covid list.

Spaulding
01-13-2022, 09:27 PM
I don't know that I've been this optimistic in the playoffs since the 1997/1998 playoffs which ended disappointingly with the Broncos win in the SB. Honestly, to have the #1 sead and yet get healthier with several pro bowler players coming back is a huge boon. The fact that this team won without them is a testament to the coaching staff and the growth of the bench players pressed into service.

Depending on the health of Zadarius/Jaire/Josh/Whitney/Bak/Turner you are looking at at least 3 of the team's top 6 players coming back just in time. The ripple effect they'll have for the energy in the locker room and the depth is downright amazing.

Anything less than a Super Bowl victory at this point is a huge disappointment. You can bet Rodgers is laser focused to win his second Super Bowl and cement his legacy as one of the GOATs at QB.

Super excited for the divisional round at this point. Can't wait to see what Barry does with the return of three key defensive players and the pressure that can be dialed up.

Would love to see the Packers play McCarthy and the Cowboys in the divisional round and simply run the ball down their throw.

green_bowl_packer
01-13-2022, 09:31 PM
https://media.tenor.com/images/064170ffc2a06bc136502573ee1ff41d/tenor.gif

Joemailman
01-13-2022, 09:49 PM
I don't know that I've been this optimistic in the playoffs since the 1997/1998 playoffs which ended disappointingly with the Broncos win in the SB. Honestly, to have the #1 sead and yet get healthier with several pro bowler players coming back is a huge boon. The fact that this team won without them is a testament to the coaching staff and the growth of the bench players pressed into service.

Depending on the health of Zadarius/Jaire/Josh/Whitney/Bak/Turner you are looking at at least 3 of the team's top 6 players coming back just in time. The ripple effect they'll have for the energy in the locker room and the depth is downright amazing.

Anything less than a Super Bowl victory at this point is a huge disappointment. You can bet Rodgers is laser focused to win his second Super Bowl and cement his legacy as one of the GOATs at QB.

Super excited for the divisional round at this point. Can't wait to see what Barry does with the return of three key defensive players and the pressure that can be dialed up.

Would love to see the Packers play McCarthy and the Cowboys in the divisional round and simply run the ball down their throw.

Packers can only play Cowboys in NFC Title Game.

George Cumby
01-13-2022, 10:20 PM
I'm really starting to think this Fuckdoggle guy is ready to break out.

RashanGary
01-13-2022, 10:27 PM
I just listened to the Joe Berry press conference. He said he’s not worried about Zadarius or Ja being mentally sharp and knowing how to play football. He said players go through OTAs and training camp to get their bodies right and these guys didn’t get that. It’s on the coaching staff to know how much to play them to ease them back into football action.

The feel I got listening to Berry is that neither Z or Ja is going to play 100% of the snaps. They’re going to be rotational guys for at least this first week.

Maybe Z plays 20 snaps as a situational rusher. Maybe Ja comes in and plays 50% of the snaps.

If we get through this week, I would guess next week we see even more from both guys. And the Super Bowl I could see them being full time players.

RashanGary
01-13-2022, 11:04 PM
I think Dennis Kelly is a more reliable player than the rookie Josh Meyers.

Starting 5

Bakh, Runyan, Patrick, Turner, Kelly

call_me_ishmael
01-13-2022, 11:39 PM
I just listened to the Joe Berry press conference. He said he’s not worried about Zadarius or Ja being mentally sharp and knowing how to play football. He said players go through OTAs and training camp to get their bodies right and these guys didn’t get that. It’s on the coaching staff to know how much to play them to ease them back into football action.

The feel I got listening to Berry is that neither Z or Ja is going to play 100% of the snaps. They’re going to be rotational guys for at least this first week.

Maybe Z plays 20 snaps as a situational rusher. Maybe Ja comes in and plays 50% of the snaps.

If we get through this week, I would guess next week we see even more from both guys. And the Super Bowl I could see them being full time players.

I think this goes without saying. Neither will be a starter upon their return. I wouldn't expect more than 25% of the snaps for Jaire and maybe 10% for Zadarius in the first game. Of course, it's do or die szn so maybe more for Ja. I think they're more depth pieces in the event of injury at this stage.

call_me_ishmael
01-13-2022, 11:43 PM
I believe the surprise down-the-stretch player for the Packers will be a running back, just like in 2010. Dillon will be the work horse and Jones will be the receiver that they move around to open things up. Play 'em both some snaps to F with the D. 10-15 touches per game to Jones, 20 to Dillon.

Thirteen Below
01-14-2022, 02:12 AM

I'd love to see them play McChoker and the Cowboys too, because that would have to be the NFCCG and it would mean we're not playing that goddamned Brady. He's the only thing I'm genuinely worried about this post-season.

Tony Oday
01-14-2022, 08:09 AM
MVS

Fritz
01-14-2022, 08:19 AM
MVS

When I went to the Lions' game in Lambeau in September, I thought the beer guy in the corner where we were sitting showed a lot of promise, but he left some sales in the stands. I expect that he's going to break out in the playoffs and show what he's got. Gonna set some beer sale records, that guy. He's going to step up.

Also, David Moore. Maybe The Flower will finally pull the plug on the Amari Rodgers Project (not to be confused with the Alan Parsons Project) and just commit to a seasoned professional returner. Moore may not break any long ones, but those eight to fifteen yard returns, plus better decision-making when he's catching punts at his own ten, will be what this team needs.

I do wonder if getting so many front-line players back will help the ST by giving them back some backup guys who were getting snaps on offense or defense.

Upnorth
01-14-2022, 10:07 AM
If from all our options mvs is the guy that is awesome.

Man I hate feeling this good preplayoffs. 2014 and 2020....

RashanGary
01-14-2022, 10:20 AM
I believe the surprise down-the-stretch player for the Packers will be a running back, just like in 2010. Dillon will be the work horse and Jones will be the receiver that they move around to open things up. Play 'em both some snaps to F with the D. 10-15 touches per game to Jones, 20 to Dillon.

True. Specifically, Jones has looked really electric down the stretch. I could see Jones just shredding defenses in the playoffs.

ThunderDan
01-14-2022, 10:38 AM
When I went to the Lions' game in Lambeau in September, I thought the beer guy in the corner where we were sitting showed a lot of promise, but he left some sales in the stands. I expect that he's going to break out in the playoffs and show what he's got. Gonna set some beer sale records, that guy. He's going to step up.

It's going to be hard to do with alcohol sales stopped at half time at playoff games. He is going to have to work at least 33% faster.

George Cumby
01-14-2022, 10:45 AM

Dude, just batter them with Dillon and light them up with Jones.

I love the formations when they have both those guys on the field at the same time.

texaspackerbacker
01-14-2022, 11:33 AM
It depends on who we play and what they emphasize on D. Tampa is tough to run against. Dallas has better pass D. The Rams probably have better pass D. The Niners have a good pass rush but not as good DBs.

I don't know if you can even call it stepping up because just about everybody mentioned was already playing at a high level either recently or before their injuries. What I expect, though, is to see more of Aaron Jones running inside for big chunks now that Myers is back at Center. He and Runyon should open some holes. Other than that, Rodgers throwing to whoever is open, that's not stepping up, it's just normal.

On D, it's not really stepping up, but the Lions game showed how much we need Devondre Campbell. Having him in there and healthy as well as having Kenny Clark at full strength goes a long way toward playing good defense like we will need. One guy we could really use a big game from that would be stepping up would be Darnell Savage - who has not looked all that good late in the season.

Guiness
01-14-2022, 11:57 AM
I think Dennis Kelly is a more reliable player than the rookie Josh Meyers.

Starting 5

Bakh, Runyan, Patrick, Turner, Kelly

If Kelly is a better choice at RT I think Turner sits. He was good at tackle and barely ok at guard.

HarveyWallbangers
01-14-2022, 12:04 PM
All signs point to Bakh-Runyan-Myers-Patrick-Turner. They won’t move Turner to RG.

Spaulding
01-14-2022, 02:04 PM
Packers can only play Cowboys in NFC Title Game.

Sorry, thought the Cowboys were the #4 seed but see now that they are the #3 seed and thus if teams based on seeding we'd be playing the Rams in the divisional round. Otherwise it's lowest ranked team left

That being said, sure hope it's the Eagles given it means the Bucs will have been punched out.

run pMc
01-14-2022, 02:06 PM
GB has had a lot of contributions from less-heralded players that come to mind: Cobb, Lazard, Lowry, Mercilus, Lucas Patrick... but I actually like Tex's comment re: Savage. He got schooled by Mark Andrews and has had more shaky moments than I like since; if he could step up his game that defense improves.

You need your stars and playmakers to get into the playoffs; you need others on the team to take you over the top.

FWIW, would love to see MVS come have a great postseason.

George Cumby
01-14-2022, 08:37 PM
I'm thinking Lazard. #12 seems to be looking for him and targeting him more and more often.

Sparkey
01-14-2022, 11:56 PM
Something makes me think that the big surprise will be the run blocking of Myers and Runyan. Those two have the potential to be monsters inside.

Fritz
01-15-2022, 11:11 AM
It's going to be hard to do with alcohol sales stopped at half time at playoff games. He is going to have to work at least 33% faster.

Well, it's the playoffs, man. Time to bring it. He can do it.

ThunderDan
01-15-2022, 12:43 PM
Well, it's the playoffs, man. Time to bring it. He can do it.

I’ll help him along by buying 2 at the game next weekend.

King Friday
01-15-2022, 12:51 PM
Packers need Mason Crosby to step up in the postseason. All the weird crap that happened this season will be forgotten if he can come through in the clutch in the cold...and I'm guessing we may need that to happen at some point.

Joemailman
01-15-2022, 12:53 PM
Deguara. The name Deguara derives from the word 'guerre' meaning war and as such was introduced into England by the Normans after the Conquest of 1066. Deguara is ready to conquer.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-15-2022, 01:32 PM
Deguara. The name Deguara derives from the word 'guerre' meaning war and as such was introduced into England by the Normans after the Conquest of 1066. Deguara is ready to conquer.

Good to know. I thought it was merely an Italian name.

No love for 82, David Moore? Could he step up and pull a Des Howard?

texaspackerbacker
01-15-2022, 09:59 PM
Yeah, these playoffs need to be Crosby's grand finale.

I thought Deguara was Hispanic. Whatever he is, he needs to show some of the ability he has shown just a few flashes of this season.

I doubt David Moore has anywhere near Desmond Howard potential, but he benefits from low expectations caused by most of the returners ever since Howard. However, if he can just be average and basically do no harm, it should be enough.

Fritz
01-16-2022, 01:24 PM
Something makes me think that the big surprise will be the run blocking of Myers and Runyan. Those two have the potential to be monsters inside.

They will have to be, because if they end up facing TB, they're going to have their hands full inside. That's where you're going to really miss Elgton Jenkins.

kcpackman
01-16-2022, 01:41 PM
I know people are excited about getting all of these guys back - but: football is the ultimate team sport, especially in the trenches. So it not gonna be a situation where these guys play, and everything is just great an like it used to be. Look at last week, the Packer had a hard time running in when Bak and Myers were in. Second half the running game picked up. The best part of all of these guys coming back is depth.