PDA

View Full Version : is adams a HOFer?

red
01-18-2022, 10:05 PM
i heard on the radio last week, that a guy thats been at the top of his position for 3 years or so is a lock for the HOF. i think they were talking about antonio brown

so by that measure, shouldn't we be talking about davante adams has a future hall of famer?

i mean hes been at the top or near the top in every category for quite a few years now

so why don't we hear that? is he too quiet? we hardly ever hear about him cause he doesn't run his mouth like OBJ or some of the other big named diva WRs

he just does his job and doesn't try to make everything about him all the time

IMO, he should be a first ballot guy at this point

and no i'm not talking about the packer HOF, that thing is like a participation trophy

HarveyWallbangers
01-18-2022, 10:21 PM
I don't think the first sentence is true, at all. In the NFL you need to be at the top and have longevity--except in rare cases (Gale Sayers, Terrell Davis). See Sterling Sharpe. Dude had similar numbers to Davante in the same number of seasons in an era when people didn't throw as much. He's not in.

I don't think he's particularly close right now, but he has a shot.

Adams has 5 Pro Bowls (a couple of them in weak years for NFC WRs, he made it twice with less than 1000 yards) and 2 All-Pro nods. Remember that it's easier to make a Pro Bowl nowadays since the Super Bowl participants are replaced, and a lot of guys don't play in the game.

Adams has 669 receptions for 8121 yards and 73 TDs. What hurts Adams is that he only has three 1000 yard seasons. Not having a Super Bowl appearance also hurts.

His numbers are similar to Mike Evans (who was also drafted in 2014). Evans has 606 receptions for 9301 yards and 75 TDs.

Andre Johnson had 7 Pro Bowls and 5 All-Pros. 1062 receptions for 14185 yards and 70 TDs. 0 Super Bowl rings. He is not in.
Reggie Wayne had 6 Pro Bowls and 3 All Pros, 1070 receptions, 14345 yards, and 82 TDs. 1 Super Bowl ring. He's not in.
Torry Holt had 7 Pro Bowls and 2 All Pros, 920 receptions, 13382 yards, and 74 TDs. I Super Bowl ring. He's not in.
Hines Ward had 5 Pro Bowls and 3 All Pros, 1000 receptions, 12083 yards, and 85 TDs. 2 Super Bowl rings. He's not in.

I think both Adams and DeAndre Hopkins have a chance, but they both have work to do. Hopkins needs a few more big seasons. Adams may need 4 more big seasons.

BTW, Hopkins was drafted in 2013. He has 789 receptions for 10581 yards and 76 TDs.

Bretsky
01-18-2022, 10:31 PM
When I saw the thread title I thought the poster might be drinking Kool Aide and Vodka

He's not there yet. It's honestly why it makes so much sense for him and AROD to give each other a rub and go visit Gutebag and both come back for another 4 years. Devante needs elite numbers for at least another 3, maybe up to 5. And another Super Bowl or two might help :))) Keeping AROD may be important to Devante getting into the HOF

HarveyWallbangers
01-18-2022, 10:31 PM
Also, I've heard people say Bakh is a lock, but he isn't. Bakh has 4 Pro Bowls and 5 All-Pros (2 first team). Mike Kenn had 5 Pro Bowls and 5 All-Pros (3 first team), and he's not in. Bakh has some work to do also. Winning a Super Bowl would help the chances of both guys.

Bretsky
01-18-2022, 10:37 PM
Also, I've heard people say Bakh is a lock, but he isn't. Bakh has 4 Pro Bowls and 5 All-Pros (2 first team). Mike Kenn had 5 Pro Bowls and 5 All-Pros (3 first team), and he's not in. Bakh has some work to do also. Winning a Super Bowl would help the chances of both guys.

I like the Bak, but man when I really think about the elite HOF LT's of the game over history , I just don't think of him. And I would have never thought he'd get a contract as the highest paid LT's in the game. Maybe I've just taken him for granted. I know he's really good though; he needs some more longevity for sure

Upnorth
01-19-2022, 10:01 AM
Every year bak is at least top 5 for past 5 years. He is in the discussion.

Regarding Adams he is low on yardage so he will need 100+ tds for serious consideration imo. He is basically unstoppable but i think he needs the stats to seperate him from others like brown or Evans. Heck Hopkins gets way more praise than adams, plus 12 throwing to him will down grade adams to some voters perhaps.

Fritz
01-19-2022, 10:42 AM
I don't know if Adams is a HOF guy, but I really enjoy watching him as he constantly amazes me. His ability to get off the line of scrimmage so well, and his ability to catch almost everything thrown his way, are amazing. I love watching him play the game.

King Friday
01-19-2022, 11:18 AM
I think some of the guys Harvey mentioned will get in eventually. To me, the WR talent was very top heavy across the league during Favre's era. A lot of all time greats playing at the same time...more than usual. This caused a logjam at that position to get into the hall, and the guys who came after them have had to wait a bit to get in.

If Adams stays with Rodgers for another 3 years, he should have the numbers to get into the Hall. Only 10 guys, including TEs, have 100 or more TDs, so that number would likely be an automatic qualifier.

Calvin Johnson is in with 731 receptions, 11600 yards, and 83 TD... Obviously with no SB appearance or win. That is why I think you will eventually see guys like Holt and Ward get in.

Thirteen Below
01-19-2022, 12:45 PM
If Adams stays with Rodgers for another 3 years, he should have the numbers to get into the Hall. Only 10 guys, including TEs, have 100 or more TDs, so that number would likely be an automatic qualifier.

Calvin Johnson is in with 731 receptions, 11600 yards, and 83 TD... Obviously with no SB appearance or win. That is why I think you will eventually see guys like Holt and Ward get in.

That's the way it looks to me, too. 3 more injury-free years with Rodgers should be well over 1,000 receptions and 11,000 yards, and should be over 100 TDs. Voters like those rounded-number milestones.

Having a ring sure would help, though. 2 would make it a lot more likely.

I wonder.... if he goes over 100 TDs, that breaks Don Hutson's team record for touchdowns. Do HoF voters consider that at all? I honestly don't know.

Upnorth
01-19-2022, 01:00 PM
Welcome abord 13below, iconic name and pic.

red
01-19-2022, 02:10 PM
who were the last WRs to get in?

calvin, moss, ?

George Cumby
01-19-2022, 02:26 PM
If Adams stays with Rodgers for another 3 years, he should have the numbers to get into the Hall.

This

Joemailman
01-19-2022, 03:48 PM
If Adams gets another 4000 yards and 25-30 TD's he'll be in the HOF whether he's with Rodgers or not. The key for him is no serious leg injuries.

Bretsky
01-19-2022, 05:47 PM
If Adams gets another 4000 yards and 25-30 TD's he'll be in the HOF whether he's with Rodgers or not. The key for him is no serious leg injuries.

ah, I thought you were going to say no Jordan Love :)))))

Joemailman
01-19-2022, 05:56 PM
ah, I thought you were going to say no Jordan Love :)))))

I have a hunch Love would/will realize throwing to Adams is a good strategy. Lofton and Sharpe both excelled with QB's who weren't exactly HOFers. I think Adams would as well. If not, then he's not a HOFer.

Bretsky
01-19-2022, 05:59 PM
I have a hunch Love would/will realize throwing to Adams is a good strategy. Lofton and Sharpe both excelled with QB's who weren't exactly HOFers. I think Adams would as well. If not, then he's not a HOFer.

Sharpe had Majik and Favre. But I'd argue Sterling was perhaps the most talented WR ever

Loften had Lynn Dickey most of the time, right ? Dickey was a stud of a passer

Joemailman
01-19-2022, 06:03 PM
Sharpe had Majik and Favre. But I'd argue Sterling was perhaps the most talented WR ever

Loften had Lynn Dickey most of the time, right ? Dickey was a stud of a passer

Lofton nearly had 1000 yards seasons with David Whitehurst. Sharpe had a 1000 yard season with Majik/Tomczak. Other than 1989, I think Majik is overrated.

George Cumby
01-19-2022, 06:23 PM
Lofton nearly had 1000 yards seasons with David Whitehurst. Sharpe had a 1000 yard season with Majik/Tomczak. Other than 1989, I think Majik is overrated.

You aren't kidding:

https://www.footballdb.com/players/don-majkowski-majkodo01

Upnorth
01-19-2022, 08:33 PM
I was convinced majik would lead us to the sb, and ascending o, getting some depth on d.

Then comes Favre and white, And to a lesser extent howard. Massive upgarde in all 3 phases. Boom!

I heard we protected our returner on the practice swuad, he looked good that one game. Maybe he is the missing piece...��

run pMc
01-20-2022, 08:19 AM
You aren't kidding:

https://www.footballdb.com/players/don-majkowski-majkodo01

In fairness to Don, he was a 10th round draft pick, and back then completing 60% of your passes was something. Joe Montana's career completion % is 63.2% and I remember thinking it seemed like he never missed. Except for Dickey, the QB play preceding him was pretty bad (Randy Wright? Anthony Dilweg? Whitehurst?) so even average starter quality QB play was something.
I do agree he wasn't very good.

I've actually been thinking about Adams as a HOF candidate since midseason. I think he's on track but there are others ahead of him statistically, and WRs need to have longevity and a reputation. Wayne never did, Ward wasn't very dynamic, Holt had so many others around him on those Rams teams (Bruce, Faulk, Warner) that he was like a 3rd or 4th option, leaving Andre Johnson as maybe the only one. I'd say Chad Johnson has an outside shot too -- 4 All Pro years, etc. Actually, some of the things Ocho did to separate/escape press are similar to Davante. Davante is getting the rep for having the releases and separation, and that plus stats (he'll need about 3-4 more good seasons, a tall ask but doable) will get him there.

As for Bak, I feel like he's good but IDK that he's HOF good, which is a little weird to say about a consistently elite graded LT. Just a feeling I get. You never know, others who aren't deserving IMO have made it in, but for now you can put him in the Hall of Very Good.

Upnorth
01-20-2022, 11:30 AM
Re bak, outside of Joe Thomas who has been better consistently??