PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

bobblehead
02-23-2022, 11:35 AM
I'm just wondering, Joe. Your point is well-taken. I don't keep up as much as you do, so I think you are probably correct.

As for the Packers and offseason, IF they end up trading Rodgers (or he retires, God forbid - worst case scenario), and not re-signing Adams, do they start cutting expensive players left and right and starting over, or do they, say, keep Turner, try to re-sign MVS and Prestone Smith and maybe Campbell, and try to be competetive next year, fielding a team with better ST and a good defense, with a good offensive line, then run a lot while Love manages things?

For my taste (it will never happen) you trade Rodgers, Adams, and later Bak (after he proves he is healthy). Even Jones midseason if you can get anything for him.

You still have the core of a good team. Really good OL (with Jenkins playing LT). 2 young stud CB. A young stud OLB pass rusher. You can build off that. If Love isn't the answer sign a game manager and build a monster roster around him. Again I state that high paid QB are having trouble making it back to the Owl.

call_me_ishmael
02-23-2022, 12:12 PM
I believe in relentlessly churning through QBs until you have a stud. If you don't have a stud, you are unlikely to win anything that matters. I would churn through them every year, or every half season, until I find a superstar. Call me the NFL's Daryl Morey.

texaspackerbacker
02-23-2022, 12:24 PM
I am kinda off packers stuff for now, but you think losing Z, Campbell, Adams and Douglas while kicking a mountain of cap to next year is the way to win next year? We will have a weaker team going into 2022 and a even bigger cap problem in 2024. This is a perfect recipe for getting slowly worse while destroying chances at a quick turnaround.

This team went one and done in the playoffs WITH those guys.

Did you even read the article? The only one the guy is talking about losing is Z. Smith. No way on Campbell, Douglas, or Adams, and it goes into detail why and how to keep them. The only thing I didn't exactly agree with was the guy says franchise Davante, he says for $19 million. There's no way the team will be weaker in '22 if they do that, and '23, '24, '25 and beyond should continue to be great too.

Some fools who whine about one and done in the playoffs seemingly would prefer to have the whole season turn to shit. I'll take 13-4 or whatever, myself. Fuck the playoffs. They're a half step more relevant the Pro Bowl.

RashanGary
02-23-2022, 01:13 PM
The offensive line will be better in 2022.

Bahktiari better than anyone we had at LT
Jenkins will eventually be back at LG. He's younger than Bakh and should heal better
Meyers should be much improved
Newman should be much improved
Turner or Yosh at RT should be good

The special teams should be better in 2022.

The secondary should be better in 2022 with Stokes improved and Jaire.

I like the idea of pushing the cap forward and getting the last couple good years out of Rodgers.

Once the ride stops, you get off and have a bad year or two and get your QB. For now, just ride it out and take another shot with the improved areas of the team and bringing most people back.

call_me_ishmael
02-23-2022, 01:20 PM
I would be 100% shocked if Elgton isn't playing tackle next season. Probably right tackle with Will Turner at LG or RG. Gotta make the yute happy 'cause he is gonna get PAID in a mega extension next year.

Joemailman
02-23-2022, 01:53 PM
I would be 100% shocked if Elgton isn't playing tackle next season. Probably right tackle with Will Turner at LG or RG. Gotta make the yute happy 'cause he is gonna get PAID in a mega extension next year.

Jenkins is unlikely to be ready for the start of the season. So they have to go into next season planning on someone else at RT. Where they put Jenkins when he comes back may depend on where the perceived weak spotin the line is, since he can play anywhere.

call_me_ishmael
02-23-2022, 02:13 PM
Jenkins is unlikely to be ready for the start of the season. So they have to go into next season planning on someone else at RT. Where they put Jenkins when he comes back may depend on where the perceived weak spotin the line is, since he can play anywhere.

Ahhh, true, I forgot he is hurt. My hypothesis is he is going to throw a fit if he isn't at tackle because he is going to want to be paid as a tackle (or tagged as a tackle). Wouldn't shock me if he's the highest paid linemen in the league after next season.

ThunderDan
02-23-2022, 02:58 PM
Some fools who whine about one and done in the playoffs seemingly would prefer to have the whole season turn to shit. I'll take 13-4 or whatever, myself. Fuck the playoffs. They're a half step more relevant the Pro Bowl.

This perfectly sums up TPB,

"When the games actually count I am OK with the Packers playing like shit."

call_me_ishmael
02-23-2022, 03:31 PM
I am kinda off packers stuff for now, but you think losing Z, Campbell, Adams and Douglas while kicking a mountain of cap to next year is the way to win next year? We will have a weaker team going into 2022 and a even bigger cap problem in 2024. This is a perfect recipe for getting slowly worse while destroying chances at a quick turnaround.

This team went one and done in the playoffs WITH those guys.

Not sure I agree. I think it'll all work out just fine. The cap situation is not really that bad IMO. The players that they will push money out on are core guys that are going to be here indefinitely. A potential problem could be if like Kenny retires or something.

The team was missing the two best linemen in the NFL and possibly a top 2-3 corner, had a rogues gallery of crap receivers, etc. They could easily be a better team next year.

bobblehead
02-23-2022, 04:36 PM
Did you even read the article? The only one the guy is talking about losing is Z. Smith. No way on Campbell, Douglas, or Adams, and it goes into detail why and how to keep them. The only thing I didn't exactly agree with was the guy says franchise Davante, he says for $19 million. There's no way the team will be weaker in '22 if they do that, and '23, '24, '25 and beyond should continue to be great too.

Did you? You kinda channel the old mean lady in FYI right now. That article does not even mention Campbell or Douglas. It says you can tag Adams, but that doesn't solve the problem that he wants stupid cap killing money. Not to mention if you do all the things they suggest, we will be so far over the cap in a year we will be right back here losing just 2 or 3 more good players and trying to kick it further down the road and win with just a little less talent...which is what we will be doing in 2022 already even if we do EVERYTHING they suggest.

bobblehead
02-23-2022, 04:40 PM

Jenkins will eventually be back at LG. He's younger than Bakh and should heal better

I like the idea of pushing the cap forward and getting the last couple good years out of Rodgers.

Once the ride stops, you get off and have a bad year or two and get your QB. For now, just ride it out and take another shot with the improved areas of the team and bringing most people back.

Some reasonable points. But for every Jaire and Bak you get back, someone else is injured. You can factor in losing 2 key players well before the playoffs. As for squeeze the last couple from Rodgers....yea, if the last several post seasons hadn't happened I would agree. But for my taste I'd take the draft pick haul and move on.

That being said, I have never wavered on what WILL happen. We will kick it down the road, extend Rodgers and sign Adams to a bad team contract. In 2024 we will be in cap hell even WITH the bigger number projected for that season. In effect we are now, and will be the Saints from 2018-2021.

texaspackerbacker
02-23-2022, 05:18 PM
This perfectly sums up TPB,

"When the games actually count I am OK with the Packers playing like shit."

Shithead says what?

So the regular season and winning 13 out of 17 doesn't count to you huh? OK, yes that does pretty well sum it up.

texaspackerbacker
02-23-2022, 05:25 PM
Did you? That article does not even mention Campbell or Douglas. It says you can tag Adams, but that doesn't solve the problem that he wants stupid cap killing money. Not to mention if you do all the things they suggest, we will be so far over the cap in a year we will be right back here losing just 2 or 3 more good players and trying to kick it further down the road and win with just a little less talent...which is what we will be doing in 2022 already even if we do EVERYTHING they suggest.

OK, granted it didn't mention those two there. I think I was referring to the Basaraki thing in YouTube that did include those two.

It's becoming clear, this article and the YouTube thing plus what I say plus everything coming from the mouth of LaFleur and Gutekunst are saying it CAN be done, and probably without serious consequences down the line, and on the other side of the argument, you have most of the media dipshits as well a lot of posters in here who just don't comprehend the cap saying the opposite. I'll take that split hahahaha.

texaspackerbacker
02-23-2022, 05:30 PM

Good Points, RG. Make that 3-5 years instead of just a couple, and you get my vote. I especially like the idea of Jenkins back to Guard when he gets back.

RashanGary
02-23-2022, 06:40 PM
Andrew Brandt just said this on Twitter

Have noticed this both while working for a team and since:
Fans and media worry a lot more about NFL teams' Cap issues than the teams do themselves.

Sparkey
02-23-2022, 08:08 PM
Clark restructured. Save 10.8 million on 2022cap.

RashanGary
02-23-2022, 08:57 PM
Packer fans were so disappointed in the playoff loss, the common sentiment was to blow it up and give up on Rodgers.

But as time churns on, I think that looks more and more an emotional swing.

Running it back and taking another shot seems most reasonable. By the time the cap catches up to us, Rodgers will be 41 or 42 years old and it will be time to find a new one anyway. A couple losing seasons would be good for finding a QB in the draft.

Go all in now and rebuild after Rodgers. That has to be the plan.

call_me_ishmael
02-23-2022, 10:19 PM
Some reasonable points. But for every Jaire and Bak you get back, someone else is injured. You can factor in losing 2 key players well before the playoffs. As for squeeze the last couple from Rodgers....yea, if the last several post seasons hadn't happened I would agree. But for my taste I'd take the draft pick haul and move on.

That being said, I have never wavered on what WILL happen. We will kick it down the road, extend Rodgers and sign Adams to a bad team contract. In 2024 we will be in cap hell even WITH the bigger number projected for that season. In effect we are now, and will be the Saints from 2018-2021.

Sure, but can we agree players injured this year were high impact players relative to most years? This wasn't like 2011 with 20 folks on IR but most of them back-ups, etc. These were key guys. Not Davante or Aaron, but next tier down for sure.

I agree with JH's post, which I am shocked by myself but when you're right you're right. The best way to play it out is role the dice, try to win one, then eventually take your medicine, suck for a couple years and rebuild through the draft. Call it the Andy Luck approach I guess. (Lotta nuance there)

texaspackerbacker
02-24-2022, 09:23 AM

Fans and media worry a lot more about NFL teams' Cap issues than the teams do themselves.

hahahahahaha DUH!

RashanGary
02-24-2022, 12:19 PM
hahahahahaha DUH!

Gutekunst also said eventually they will have to pay up on the salary cap. If it was free money, everyone would be doing it.

RashanGary
02-24-2022, 12:21 PM
The downside of void years and push ahead contracts is that the team eventually has to cut ties with players and they won

jklowan
02-24-2022, 02:17 PM
Jones’ Restructure Creates Massive 2023 Problem
It is hardly a surprise that the Packers decided to rework the payout of Jones’ contract given how limited they were on in-house restructure options. Pushing money down the road into future seasons is one of the easiest ways for teams to keep together a quality roster, as they demonstrated during the 2021 offseason. The problem with restructuring Jones’ deal, though, is how quickly the cost of keeping him will rise.
While the Packers have reduced Jones’ cap hit by about $3.08 million for the upcoming year, the consequence is that Jones will now carry a massive $20.013 million cap hit for the 2023 season — which is nearly triple his original cap hit and would be the largest cap hit of any NFL running back. That’s an absurd amount of money for a running back, especially with a 2020 second-rounder in AJ Dillon waiting in the wings to become the primary starter.
Now, that doesn’t mean the Packers couldn’t figure out a way to keep Jones beyond the 2022 season, but it also means there can be no indecision with him in 2023. They will need to either sign him to a new extension that reduces his overall cap charge or move on from him altogether, the latter of which could save them between $10.4 million and $16 million depending on if/when they release him during the 2023 offseason.

jklowan
02-24-2022, 02:21 PM
Nothing is for free, so Jones will be gone after next year, all to keep the DramaLama around to loose another round one playoff game, sounds like a good trade right tex, you'll get your 10-12 wins LOL

King Friday
02-24-2022, 03:53 PM
Nothing is for free, so Jones will be gone after next year, all to keep the DramaLama around to loose another round one playoff game, sounds like a good trade right tex, you'll get your 10-12 wins LOL

If we go the Tex route, in 3 years just about everyone on the roster will be gone, and the Packers will be one of the worst teams in the league. You can't kick the can down the road forever, and the Packers started kicking it well before now. Pretty soon you are staring at a crazy amount of dead money, and you wind up where the Saints are. Your coach leaves. You have no future.

If Rodgers played worth a damn in the postseason, it might be worth it. His inferior postseason play means it would be more prudent to move on.

call_me_ishmael
02-24-2022, 10:24 PM
Cap Gurus - what is the deal with this contract?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-25102/

Is this a new thing where money other than signing bonus is truly guaranteed? Perhaps I am missing something but given that he has only a 6M signing bonus, how is there 100M in dead money at certain points in the contract?

NewsBruin
02-24-2022, 11:27 PM
Cap Gurus - what is the deal with this contract?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-25102/

Is this a new thing where money other than signing bonus is truly guaranteed? Perhaps I am missing something but given that he has only a 6M signing bonus, how is there 100M in dead money at certain points in the contract?

I'll take a stab before my betters arrive: He has minimal salary the first season (2021). The signing bonus is $16M, paid now, split into $3.3M chunks across the cap for the next five seasons. He has an extra $3M in signing bonus ($6M total) in 2021, which must have been the last part of his rookie contract's signing bonus. The rest of the bonus money is gigantic roster bonuses in 2024 and 2025, which can be converted to signing bonuses if the Bills' cap is tight. A roster bonus or a reworked signing bonus: the check would deposit the same in Allen's account, but the cost against the cap could be split out across five seasons if it becomes a signing bonus.

His salary for the next two seasons (2022 & 2023) and roster bonus for the season after that (2024) is already guaranteed, so that's already on the cap for those seasons. Half of his 2024 salary is guaranteed this spring/summer (2022), so that'll get slapped onto the 2024 books. The other half gets guaranteed next spring/summer (2023). They'll do the same guarantee thing with his 2025 salary in 2024.

2022 and 2023 don't have roster bonuses, but large guaranteed salary. The Bills don't have the option of splitting those up onto later years' caps as a reworked signing bonus, but they have the real-world luxury of paying it out in game checks, rather than a lump sum in the summer.

It looks like all the in-advance guarantees are done after 2025, so 2026-2028 are purely pay-as-you-go (probably voidable), with maybe some of the roster-turned-signing bonuses being counted against the cap on those later seasons if 2021-2025 has some tight cap years.

2026-2028 numbers are just there to give folks something to look at, but those will change with contract extensions depending on those seasons' Cap, Allen's talent/health and any other QB drama between now and then.

NewsBruin
02-25-2022, 12:13 AM
There's nothing that prevents NFL teams from guaranteeing any part of a contract ahead of time; they just don't do it, and nobody wants to be the first one to fart in church.

I think Kirk Cousins was the first (and only?) player to get a fully guaranteed multi-season contract when he signed with the Vikings. For everyone else, it's a matter of how much is guaranteed and how far in advance the guarantees kick in.

bobblehead
02-25-2022, 06:50 AM
OK, granted it didn't mention those two there. I think I was referring to the Basaraki thing in YouTube that did include those two.

It's becoming clear, this article and the YouTube thing plus what I say plus everything coming from the mouth of LaFleur and Gutekunst are saying it CAN be done, and probably without serious consequences down the line, and on the other side of the argument, you have most of the media dipshits as well a lot of posters in here who just don't comprehend the cap saying the opposite. I'll take that split hahahaha.

I comprehend math and finances just fine. And I'll discount what the brass says, because they can't say anything else for a multitude of reasons I shouldn't have to go over. If you restructure the list of guys in that article, the salary becomes bonus and is spread over the remaining deal. For every $ you save in 2022 you lose it going forward. Every time you do that it weakens your ability to bring in talent in future seasons. That is fact and its indisputable.

bobblehead
02-25-2022, 06:56 AM

That is because I will be a fan in 2029, but if they don't win NOW most teams leadership will be gone in 2 years. Look at Brian Flores. The dolphins went FULL rebuild. Traded anyone and everyone. He won 7 of his last 8 as it was paying off with a lot of young talent. He got fired.

Every coach and GM has incentive to mortgage the future because the future is ALWAYS now for them. Only a few teams approach it differently and sustain a winning team. They tend to win the same # of titles without being forced to go into the tank. Teams like TB, Denver and the Rams all went the tank and find a QB after we have a talented young roster approach. It works to win titles, but you end up with 4 win seasons in there. TB has cap issues now. KC is feeling the Maholmes contract. The rams might win 2 games in 2023. Denver has done the rebuild of talent after going through the cycle full circle. But the Manning and Brady scenario only offer themselves up every so often. And when you fail to land them you get shitty seasons and no rings.

bobblehead
02-25-2022, 06:57 AM
Clark restructured. Save 10.8 million on 2022cap.

Translation. Take 3.5 million away from 2023, 2024 and 2025 cap.

See tex, I understand how it works just fine.

bobblehead
02-25-2022, 07:00 AM
Packer fans were so disappointed in the playoff loss, the common sentiment was to blow it up and give up on Rodgers.

But as time churns on, I think that looks more and more an emotional swing.

Running it back and taking another shot seems most reasonable. By the time the cap catches up to us, Rodgers will be 41 or 42 years old and it will be time to find a new one anyway. A couple losing seasons would be good for finding a QB in the draft.

Go all in now and rebuild after Rodgers. That has to be the plan.

If you believe that Love isn't the answer AND you don't have a bunch of young talent, yes. If you have yound studs at LT (and all across the OL) both CB, Edge, RB....I'm not so sure.

Also, if I hadn't seen what actually happened in the last 2 playoff games. Seeing Rodgers call a timeout to get his RB on the field for ONE PLAY a season after seeing us abandon the run the minute Jones got hurt....Well, I no longer have faith in winning an Owl with Rodgers.

bobblehead
02-25-2022, 07:04 AM
Jones’ Restructure Creates Massive 2023 Problem
It is hardly a surprise that the Packers decided to rework the payout of Jones’ contract given how limited they were on in-house restructure options. Pushing money down the road into future seasons is one of the easiest ways for teams to keep together a quality roster, as they demonstrated during the 2021 offseason. The problem with restructuring Jones’ deal, though, is how quickly the cost of keeping him will rise.
While the Packers have reduced Jones’ cap hit by about $3.08 million for the upcoming year, the consequence is that Jones will now carry a massive $20.013 million cap hit for the 2023 season — which is nearly triple his original cap hit and would be the largest cap hit of any NFL running back. That’s an absurd amount of money for a running back, especially with a 2020 second-rounder in AJ Dillon waiting in the wings to become the primary starter.
Now, that doesn’t mean the Packers couldn’t figure out a way to keep Jones beyond the 2022 season, but it also means there can be no indecision with him in 2023. They will need to either sign him to a new extension that reduces his overall cap charge or move on from him altogether, the latter of which could save them between $10.4 million and $16 million depending on if/when they release him during the 2023 offseason.

And his base salary is 8.1 million which means you keep him for $20 million against the cap, or you cut him for 12 million against the cap. Tex, am I understanding how this works?

Upnorth
02-25-2022, 07:04 AM
Translation. Take 3.5 million away from 2023, 2024 and 2025 cap.

See tex, I understand how it works just fine.

This year we have 8.2 million in dead money. Most of it from last year's all in. That's 4% of the cap burnt. That's an Amos level.player not on the roster.
So far next year is almost 0 dead cap.
How bad do we make it???

bobblehead
02-25-2022, 07:17 AM
This year we have 8.2 million in dead money. Most of it from last year's all in. That's 4% of the cap burnt. That's an Amos level.player not on the roster.
So far next year is almost 0 dead cap.
How bad do we make it???

Here's my final thought on the issue. If you rebuild now, you take advantage of another GM who is "all in" and must give up too much for a 39 year old QB. Since you accept a bad year, you can tag and trade Adams as well.

Then you start to rebuild with a ton of quality picks and a good base of players.

If you stretch it out another year (and thats about all we can at this point.), you MIGHT win a ring, but then you face several years of declining results. You still have Rodgers who you had to commit to for a new contract, probably still have Adams for awhile, but you can't really keep much of anyone young. You will lose a Cory Lindsly here and a D Campbell there. You will continue to decay slowly. Like I said, the Saints from 2018 to present. They tried to hold on. They didn't win. Now they have ZERO chance of winning and lose a nice player or 2 each season. Then the stud WR becomes a malcontent because he isn't getting a shiny new contract he wants. The coach reads the writing on the wall and darts. Now you are in full rebuild without the assets.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-25-2022, 08:39 AM
Here's my final thought on the issue. If you rebuild now, you take advantage of another GM who is "all in" and must give up too much for a 39 year old QB. Since you accept a bad year, you can tag and trade Adams as well.

Then you start to rebuild with a ton of quality picks and a good base of players.

If you stretch it out another year (and thats about all we can at this point.), you MIGHT win a ring, but then you face several years of declining results. You still have Rodgers who you had to commit to for a new contract, probably still have Adams for awhile, but you can't really keep much of anyone young. You will lose a Cory Lindsly here and a D Campbell there. You will continue to decay slowly. Like I said, the Saints from 2018 to present. They tried to hold on. They didn't win. Now they have ZERO chance of winning and lose a nice player or 2 each season. Then the stud WR becomes a malcontent because he isn't getting a shiny new contract he wants. The coach reads the writing on the wall and darts. Now you are in full rebuild without the assets.

Zero chance? Zero chance is my odds of mating with Jennifer Lawrence or Jennifer Hudson. The Aints, without their “stud” WR, single-handily annihilated our beloved Packers last season. They had a chance of “winning” until Winston was lost for the season.

Brees’ contract wasn’t intended to plug the Aints into a “cap hell.” Normally, via rapidly increasing revenues in the NFL, the cap would increase large enough annually that Brees’ contract woulda been immaterial within the Aints books.

The NFL is a monopoly with favorable tax exemptions, ever-soaring revenues and titanic TV contracts. There’s no such fuck as a cap hell anymore. But let’s be delusional like alotta uncool NFL fans out there and pretend that cap hells do exist. There’s only one logical reason for why the Aints are dwelling in the cap hell, and that reason is an abnormality.

The….(see Onion thread in FYI).

Fritz
02-25-2022, 09:08 AM

This is my thinking, too. And I also agree that after seeing Rodgers' effups in the second half of the last two playoff games, is it worth all the arranging and kicking the can so you can try again one more time? And probably not with as good a roster as you had this past season?

I'm ready for Rodgers to say he wants to be traded.

call_me_ishmael
02-25-2022, 11:57 AM
There's nothing that prevents NFL teams from guaranteeing any part of a contract ahead of time; they just don't do it, and nobody wants to be the first one to fart in church.

I think Kirk Cousins was the first (and only?) player to get a fully guaranteed multi-season contract when he signed with the Vikings. For everyone else, it's a matter of how much is guaranteed and how far in advance the guarantees kick in.

TIL. I didn't know "guaranteed salary" was a thing. Seems odd. Roster bonuses are like fake guarantees. They're guarantees - if you're on the roster - and don't count against the cap otherwise.

I guess I just assumed Kirk cousins deal was a minimum base salary and the rest was all signing bonus to get the "fully guaranteed" contract.

Fritz
02-25-2022, 12:01 PM
I saw that Gutekunst did not rule out altogether keeping Z. Smith. I imagine he was just being nice. Why say the guy is gone until he's gone? I can't see many scenarios where Z is back, unless teams are afeared of his back injury and he decides to re-sign with the Pack on a "prove it" kind of deal.

call_me_ishmael
02-25-2022, 01:20 PM
Like I said, the Saints from 2018 to present. They tried to hold on. They didn't win. Now they have ZERO chance of winning and lose a nice player or 2 each season. Then the stud WR becomes a malcontent because he isn't getting a shiny new contract he wants. The coach reads the writing on the wall and darts. Now you are in full rebuild without the assets.

Man, I don't know, put a good QB on that team and they are for sure a SB contender. What good player have they had to let walk? I honestly don't know but didn't they have some injuries at key spots including LT and their all-pro WR?

ThunderDan
02-25-2022, 03:22 PM
Man, I don't know, put a good QB on that team and they are for sure a SB contender. What good player have they had to let walk? I honestly don't know but didn't they have some injuries at key spots including LT and their all-pro WR?

They had $4,100,000 to sign that good QB. The cap hits for 2021 were Winston $3.5 M and some how Taysom Hill $12.3 M.

For 2022 they are $100 M over the cap at the moment.

Sparkey
02-25-2022, 05:01 PM
Fox Sports reporting that Rodgers wants 50 million a year.....

Tony Oday
02-25-2022, 05:07 PM

Good he deserves it.

Teamcheez1
02-25-2022, 09:33 PM
Good he deserves it.

He can get that from someone else. No thank you to a 39 year old QB.

QBME
02-25-2022, 09:45 PM
Rodgers has turned into a head job.

For good or ill remains to be seen.

Unload him now for whatever price.

I'll still fly the colors.

Upnorth
02-26-2022, 06:32 AM

If he wants to be the highest paid player then thats in the 50 mil per range thanks to mahomes.
No insider or leak required just a basic understanding of math. Bobble gives tutorials in fyi (2+2=4) I believe.

ThunderDan
02-26-2022, 08:53 AM
Here is what I think after hearing everything so far.

Rodgers doesn't want to play for GB any more. I think he was really telling the truth last year when he said the relationship with the front office was damaged.

ARod is all about image and trying to be the smartest guy in the room. He took a lot of hits off the field for what he said and did. He doesn't want to look like a bad guy again.

It sounds like the Packers have agreed to almost any price to keep Rodgers. So ARod keeps upping his price until GB has to say no. He or his people have thrown out $50M now. Trust me that number will keep going higher.

ARod wants the Packers to have to say we are going to trade ARod. He doesn't want to say he doesn't want to play in GB any more.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-26-2022, 09:18 AM
Here is what I think after hearing everything so far.

Rodgers doesn't want to play for GB any more. I think he was really telling the truth last year when he said the relationship with the front office was damaged.

ARod is all about image and trying to be the smartest guy in the room. He took a lot of hits off the field for what he said and did. He doesn't want to look like a bad guy again.

It sounds like the Packers have agreed to almost any price to keep Rodgers. So ARod keeps upping his price until GB has to say no. He or his people have thrown out $50M now. Trust me that number will keep going higher.

ARod wants the Packers to have to say we are going to trade ARod. He doesn't want to say he doesn't want to play in GB any more.

I just wish he would declare one way or the other. I have to believe part of this whole thing is just a way to feed his ego..

bobblehead
02-26-2022, 09:32 AM
This is my thinking, too. And I also agree that after seeing Rodgers' effups in the second half of the last two playoff games, is it worth all the arranging and kicking the can so you can try again one more time? And probably not with as good a roster as you had this past season?

I'm ready for Rodgers to say he wants to be traded.

I am as well, but neither of us will get our wish on this. TT did something epic and unique. Gutes won't do it without Rodgers asking. Rodgers won't ask. His legacy is GB. He wants his cake and to eat it too. They will kick the can and sign him. We will probably stretch this thing out 2 more years for him. 2 more really good years where we won't quite have enough to get there unless 1) He plays much better in the postseason and 2) Gutes somehow duplicates finding 2 guys for cheap that play like All Pros.

bobblehead
02-26-2022, 09:33 AM
If he wants to be the highest paid player then thats in the 50 mil per range thanks to mahomes.
No insider or leak required just a basic understanding of math. Bobble gives tutorials in fyi (2+2=4) I believe.

Huh....I didn't actually think anyone read my gibberish!

Upnorth
02-26-2022, 09:59 AM
Huh....I didn't actually think anyone read my gibberish!

I completely support the 2+2=4 statement. The rest us gibberish. Holy shit you are right twice in a day!

Joemailman
02-26-2022, 10:27 AM
Packers have created 9.26M in cap space by restructuring Bakhtiari's contract. Now just pray that his knee will be okay.

ThunderDan
02-26-2022, 11:01 AM
Packers have created 9.26M in cap space by restructuring Bakhtiari's contract. Now just pray that his knee will be okay.

If the knee doesn't heal and he can't play; that will go down as one of the worst moves in Packer history.

Upnorth
02-26-2022, 11:11 AM
But but but you can just tack on void years and the cap doesnt really exist. Just look at NO.

HarveyWallbangers
02-26-2022, 11:56 AM

Nobody followed up about this, but Rodgers said this is categorically false.

ThunderDan
02-26-2022, 01:04 PM

Can you really believe what ARod says these days? I guess we will find out the truth when his new contract is signed with the Packers or somewhere else if traded.

HarveyWallbangers
02-26-2022, 03:46 PM
Can you really believe what ARod says these days? I guess we will find out the truth when his new contract is signed with the Packers or somewhere else if traded.

I have no problem believing Rodgers on this statement. I guess we’ll see when he signs his extension. Is there a belief that Rodgers lies? Is it because he used obvious word play to get around the coronabros regarding his vaccine status? Or is there another reason? As much as I’m torn between running it back another year vs getting a ransom for him, I don’t think Rodgers is an awful person.

texaspackerbacker
02-26-2022, 03:52 PM
What we can't believe one word of is what comes from the mouth or pen of the media shitheads. It's disgraceful that supposed Packer fans would give any credence to those bastards over our own GOAT QB.

UpNorth, I don't know whether you were being sarcastic or what, but what you said above about the cap is absolutely true.

Upnorth
02-26-2022, 04:52 PM
What we can't believe one word of is what comes from the mouth or pen of the media shitheads. It's disgraceful that supposed Packer fans would give any credence to those bastards over our own GOAT QB.

UpNorth, I don't know whether you were being sarcastic or what, but what you said above about the cap is absolutely true.

You can do that, but there are consequences. Bak is a favorite player of mine, and I would argue maybe the greatest packers tackle since the Lombardi era.
But if his knee is toast thos new contract is a big big fuckup

Teamcheez1
02-26-2022, 06:56 PM
Packers are going to restructure all of these contracts for nothing.

King Friday
02-26-2022, 07:14 PM
If the knee doesn't heal and he can't play; that will go down as one of the worst moves in Packer history.

I think it was a really bad deal regardless. The Packers proved this season that they have the talent behind him to have moved on and invested the money they paid Bahk elsewhere. Giving old guys top dollar rarely proves fruitful.

Fritz
02-28-2022, 11:57 AM
I think it was a really bad deal regardless. The Packers proved this season that they have the talent behind him to have moved on and invested the money they paid Bahk elsewhere. Giving old guys top dollar rarely proves fruitful.

There might be some hookers out there who'd disagree.

texaspackerbacker
02-28-2022, 02:24 PM
More lack of cap understanding on display here. Bakhtiari is not one of my favorite Packers. He is good, though. Restructuring him is obviously just a piece in the puzzle in order to make things work cap-wise. Even if he turned out to be less than he had been or even not able to play - both very doubtful, the team would be fine going forward.

I don't know which is more amazing, that the media pukes can't comprehend things or that some in here gobble their shit and actually seem to believe it.

ThunderDan
02-28-2022, 02:32 PM
More lack of cap understanding on display here. Bakhtiari is not one of my favorite Packers. He is good, though. Restructuring him is obviously just a piece in the puzzle in order to make things work cap-wise. Even if he turned out to be less than he had been or even not able to play - both very doubtful, the team would be fine going forward.

I don't know which is more amazing, that the media pukes can't comprehend things or that some in here gobble their shit and actually seem to believe it.

What amazes me is that you come on to this board to say shit like this.

If they convert to a signing bonus they are moving $9.26M out of this year and into future years. No one is making that up. No media puke is making that up. That is how the salary cap works. That you still come here and pretend it works some other way is what is remarkable.

If Bak some how needs to be cut/retire because of his knee we will have to pay $9.26M in cap in future years for a player that isn't on the team anymore. End of sentence period.

texaspackerbacker
02-28-2022, 02:41 PM
I'm just saying what LaFleur, Gutekunst, Andrew Brandt, and some others who know what's going on are saying - in several cases with a "how to" of exactly how to do it. And yet, those media pukes repeatedly ask stupid questions in presscons that show how little they comprehend.

You have to really be stupid to think the team isn't pretty confident that Bakhtiari will be play fairly decent, but even without him, we lost 4 out of 17 games and 3 of 16 the year before with him missing a lot of the season. If he couldn't play, we'd be fine without him.

ThunderDan
02-28-2022, 02:43 PM
I am perfectly fine in kicking the can down the road for someone like Clark. A player in his prime who is probably going to be a Packer for all the years of his contract.

Kicking the can down the road for a player who is coming off major knee surgery whose knee didn't respond well this year causes me problems.

ThunderDan
02-28-2022, 02:53 PM
I'm just saying what LaFleur, Gutekunst, Andrew Brandt, and some others who know what's going on are saying - in several cases with a "how to" of exactly how to do it. And yet, those media pukes repeatedly ask stupid questions in presscons that show how little they comprehend.

You have to really be stupid to think the team isn't pretty confident that Bakhtiari will be play fairly decent, but even without him, we lost 4 out of 17 games and 3 of 16 the year before with him missing a lot of the season. If he couldn't play, we'd be fine without him.

You call it stupid but NO has $11.5M tied up in cap space for Drew Brees in 2022. He hasn't thrown a pass for NO since 2020. That is 5.53% of their 2022 cap space on one player. That is what kicking the can down the road can look like.

The Packers are now doing this over and over. Maybe we get lucky and it doesn't bite us in the ass. The reality is probably will and we are going to have to let a lot of really good players go because we can't afford them.

And no matter what names you call journalists and members here doesn't change what is actually happening.

Joemailman
02-28-2022, 03:32 PM
You call it stupid but NO has $11.5M tied up in cap space for Drew Brees in 2022. He hasn't thrown a pass for NO since 2020. That is 5.53% of their 2022 cap space on one player. That is what kicking the can down the road can look like.

The Packers are now doing this over and over. Maybe we get lucky and it doesn't bite us in the ass. The reality is probably will and we are going to have to let a lot of really good players go because we can't afford them.

And no matter what names you call journalists and members here doesn't change what is actually happening.

It won't be as bad for the Packers as it was for the Saints. The reason it was so bad for the Saints was the fact that as the bill was coming due, the salary cap went down sharply due to covid instead of up. As the Packers bill comes due, all forecasts indicate the salary cap going up considerably. So while there will be some sacrifices made, it won't be comparable to the Saints.

call_me_ishmael
02-28-2022, 03:42 PM
Even so 11.5M this year for Brees is not that big of a deal IMO. We know we will be rebuilding, so who cares? Sucking for a year or two at the start of a rebuild is preferable vs using that money on a crafty vet anyway IMO.

ThunderDan
02-28-2022, 04:20 PM
Even so 11.5M this year for Brees is not that big of a deal IMO. We know we will be rebuilding, so who cares? Sucking for a year or two at the start of a rebuild is preferable vs using that money on a crafty vet anyway IMO.

But you can take unused cap money and push it ahead 1 year. That is now $11.5M NO can't sign players with and wouldn't ever be able to use to push forward if they chose not to sign a player that year to get to the cap.

ThunderDan
02-28-2022, 04:24 PM
It won't be as bad for the Packers as it was for the Saints. The reason it was so bad for the Saints was the fact that as the bill was coming due, the salary cap went down sharply due to covid instead of up. As the Packers bill comes due, all forecasts indicate the salary cap going up considerably. So while there will be some sacrifices made, it won't be comparable to the Saints.

That is true. But right now we have already kick 3 cans down the road a little in Clark, Jones and Bak. If we kick the can for ARod and a few others it could get ugly real quick.

I also understand that the cap is going to go up but other teams not in cap hell will be able to offer more for free agents than the Packers will because we don't have as much room under the cap.

We will start to hear the, free agents don't want to play in GB because its cold and a small market team. It was amazing when we opened our wallet up for the Smith brothers and all of sudden FA wanted to be in GB.

texaspackerbacker
02-28-2022, 11:53 PM
So the Saints are taking a fairly moderate cap hit several years after Brees retired ...... BFD. Five years or so from now when Rodgers is finally gone, the Packers might have a few bad years too - not because of cap problems, but because of not having our GOAT QB anymore.

As for quality FAs coming to GB or not, that was more of a change of policy from the Ted Thompson years than anything else, a change I welcome, and I suspect a lot of the same people whining about the cap now didn't buy into at the time. Also, of course, having Rodgers - which means always being right at the edge of a championship quality team - also helped attract FAs, a lot more than any cold or small market crap turned them off.

Upnorth
03-01-2022, 02:27 PM
Bak in 2023 30 mil. 2025 34 mil.
Clark in 2023 24 mil 2024 25 mil.

That's like 20% of the cap.... We are so fucked.
Clark should still at least provide some value, I am kinda doubting bak will based on the repetative knee fluid retention.
Man. We didn't kick a can down the road, we used a forklift to transport a keg down the road, and it looks like the keg is full of home made beer.

Joemailman
03-01-2022, 02:54 PM
Bak in 2023 30 mil. 2025 34 mil.
Clark in 2023 24 mil 2024 25 mil.

That's like 20% of the cap.... We are so fucked.
Clark should still at least provide some value, I am kinda doubting bak will based on the repetative knee fluid retention.
Man. We didn't kick a can down the road, we used a forklift to transport a keg down the road, and it looks like the keg is full of home made beer.

It's estimated though that the salary cap could be as 250M in 2024, so Clark's cap hit would be 10% of the cap, not 20%. The cap could be 270M by 2025, so Bakh's cap hit would be 12.5% of the cap. That's assuming Bakhtiari is on the team with that kind of cap hit, which I doubt.

Upnorth
03-01-2022, 03:17 PM
It's estimated though that the salary cap could be as 250M in 2024, so Clark's cap hit would be 10% of the cap, not 20%. The cap could be 270M by 2025, so Bakh's cap hit would be 12.5% of the cap. That's assuming Bakhtiari is on the team with that kind of cap hit, which I doubt.

Bak + Clark = 34 + 25 = 59. 59 is 23.6 % of 250. We are even more fucked than I said

texaspackerbacker
03-01-2022, 03:17 PM
True what Joe is saying, but either way, it will be entirely doable to "kick the can" even farther down the road. Clark should be good well beyond '25. Bakhtiari - the sacred cow as I like to call him, likely he will not be damaged goods coming back, and if he's nearly as good people in here think he was/is, he'll be worth the cost.

call_me_ishmael
03-01-2022, 10:07 PM
But most teams that were good with an established QB in 2019 are in the same boat. The teams like Buffalo and KC will be in the same boat soon. It’s a non-issue. Crap teams without a QB will not have this issue. Teams with a stud rookie contract QB might be able to take advantage and win one. We shall see what happens. I’m not personally worried about it. Would I rather contend for two years then suck for a year or two, or just suck for a year or two without contending? Obviously the former.

Joemailman
03-04-2022, 07:20 PM
MLF mentioned in an interview that he's interested to see what kind of shape Amari Rodgers comes back in. Sounds like may be Packers want him to shed some pounds, or at least lose some fat. He carried 212 pounds on a 5-9 frame, which is a lot for a WR. Would like to see that guy a little sleeker, and a little quicker.

Fritz
03-05-2022, 10:56 AM
He did in fact look kinda pudgy. For a guy who had Randall Cobb as a mentor, that's surprising.

He did eat some humble pie this year. I hope he's learned from that.

ThunderDan
03-08-2022, 10:51 AM

ThunderDan
03-08-2022, 10:52 AM

4 years $200 Million. Apparently not categorically false.

call_me_ishmael
03-08-2022, 12:45 PM
Whoa Rustavious has been traded to Denver!

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2022, 01:30 PM
4 years $200 Million. Apparently not categorically false.

He's still saying it is false (via McAfee). We'll see.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/08/pat-mcafee-disputes-reported-contract-for-packers-qb-aaron-rodgers/

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2022, 01:31 PM
Whoa Rustavious has been traded to Denver!

They got a haul. Of course, he's much younger than Rodgers, so I don't think we'd have gotten that much. If we did, I would have taken that deal.

Joemailman
03-08-2022, 04:56 PM
With Adams franchise tag, Packers 49M over the cap. They can create 56-59M cap space by:

- Za’Darius Smith release: $15M
- A. Rodgers extension: $12M-$15M
- D. Adams extension: $10Mish
- Preston Smith Extension: $7Mish
- Randall Cobb release: $6M
- Billy Turner release: $4M
- Mason Crosby release: $2M

call_me_ishmael
03-08-2022, 11:26 PM
They will sign Adams long term and free up space. Bill Turner will not be released I doubt

texaspackerbacker
03-08-2022, 11:54 PM
Correct, CMI. If there is any accuracy to the $200m 4 year extension idea at all, the cap hit is $21m, which would be a $25m savings. I've been saying all along also, I think they cut Cobb then re-sign him for maybe a million or two. I didn't see anything on that list about Campbell and Douglas, Joe. I'm betting we have plenty of cap space and re-sign them too. I read that Seattle cut Bobby Wagner. I wonder if there would be any Packer interest in him.

Joemailman
03-09-2022, 12:12 AM
Correct, CMI. If there is any accuracy to the $200m 4 year extension idea at all, the cap hit is $21m, which would be a $25m savings. I've been saying all along also, I think they cut Cobb then re-sign him for maybe a million or two. I didn't see anything on that list about Campbell and Douglas, Joe. I'm betting we have plenty of cap space and re-sign them too. I read that Seattle cut Bobby Wagner. I wonder if there would be any Packer interest in him.

The list I posted was about ways the Packers can cut salary to get under the cap. It wasn't about salaries that might be added.

Fritz
03-09-2022, 07:43 AM
Let's all wait for the usual suspects to start whining when the Packer don't sign some outside big-name free agent, which would be of course because they'll have so much money tied up in Rodgers and Adams.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-09-2022, 09:00 AM
$8M/yr for a one trick pony who’s prone to disappearing acts? That’s akin to paying 97 $18/M for 3 sacks a season. See ya, MVS. Gonna miss ya 95 speed on Madden.

PS: Please, Packers, draft a 4.2 WR.

Fritz
03-09-2022, 09:12 AM
I actually think I agree with APB here.

George Cumby
03-09-2022, 11:46 AM
I actually think I agree with APB here.

Me too.

run pMc
03-09-2022, 11:59 AM
Agree MVS has a nice skill set but can be replaced with someone younger and cheaper. His speed is a useful threat but there are a number of WRs in the draft at 6'2" or taller who ran under 4.45 and can run a 9 route with better hands.
If someone offers him a lot of money, you let him walk and take the comp pick.

HarveyWallbangers
03-09-2022, 12:05 PM
With Adams franchise tag, Packers 49M over the cap. They can create 56-59M cap space by:

- Za’Darius Smith release: $15M
- A. Rodgers extension: $12M-$15M
- D. Adams extension: $10Mish
- Preston Smith Extension: $7Mish
- Randall Cobb release: $6M
- Billy Turner release: $4M
- Mason Crosby release: $2M

+ Jaire extension, Lowry release or restructure, and Amos restructure could free up more.

With the uncertain status of Bakh and Elgton, I'd like to see them restructure Turner.

Fritz
03-09-2022, 12:34 PM
Shalom to Mason Crosby, to Chandler Sullivan, to Ty Lancaster, to Rasul Douglas, to Z Smith and to others, too, I'm sure.

texaspackerbacker
03-09-2022, 01:06 PM
Of those 5 names Fritz mentioned, in order, yes, probably no, maybe, absolutely no, and yes.

Fritz
03-10-2022, 10:16 AM
Man, Tex, if I lived in your world, I'd be shacking up with Drew Barrymore.

George Cumby
03-10-2022, 10:22 AM
Man, Tex, if I lived in your world.....

This, alone, is such a frightening concept, I think I'm done with the internet today.

texaspackerbacker
03-10-2022, 04:30 PM
Man, Tex, if I lived in your world, I'd be shacking up with Drew Barrymore.

She's how old? How much younger than you? Welcome to my world hahahaha.

Fritz
03-11-2022, 10:34 AM
She is fourteen years younger than I am.

In 1962, that would've been just fine.

red
03-12-2022, 07:55 PM
She is fourteen years younger than I am.

In 1962, that would've been just fine.

you do know that there are way hotter and waaaay youngers celebs out there now right?

you have heard of margot robbie haven't you?

Fritz
03-13-2022, 09:16 AM
you do know that there are way hotter and waaaay youngers celebs out there now right?

you have heard of margot robbie haven't you?

Red, I try to keep my fantasies in the realm of age-appropriate. Why? I'm not sure, since they are only fantasies. But yes, I sure have heard of Margo Robbie. Whew. She is fine.

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 08:14 AM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

From
@GMFB
: #Packers star WR Davante Adams has informed the team he won’t play on the franchise tag, and the sides remain far apart on a long-term deal, per sources. It’s all coming to a head. Something has to give.

Could we see a trade? And is this what is holding the Rodgers contract up?

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 08:25 AM
Looks like Preston Smith signing new contract.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FN0C0jDX0AANfPW?format=jpg&name=small

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 09:06 AM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

#Packers OLB has signed a five-year extension worth $53.5 million of new money. He can make $75 million total. By signing the deal, the Packers will save $8 million in salary cap money. He'll make $14 million in the first year and $27 million over two years. Signing bonus of $12M

Smith's deal is 4 years of new money, 5 total. His $8 million reduction in salary cap leaves the #Packers about $36 million over. If they release Za'Darius Smith they will get another $15M gain. Aaron Rodgers' deal has not been submitted but will lower the cap considerably.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-14-2022, 09:12 AM
Could we see a trade? And is this what is holding the Rodgers contract up?

Yeah, perhaps AROD is using his influence to get his friend resigned? It may get interesting..

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 09:15 AM
A lot of news today.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/sources-packers-expected-to-retain-cornerback-rasul-douglas/

The Green Bay Packers are expected to retain veteran cornerback Rasul Douglas in free agency, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly. Douglas and the Packers have mutual interest in extending their working relationship following an outstanding season, per sources.

So to summarize:

Preston Smith signed to extension, creating 8M of salary cap room.

Davante Adams reportedly will not play under the franchise tag.

Rasul Douglas reportedly expected to stay with Packers.

Fosco33
03-14-2022, 09:33 AM
Z is gone. Saves 15m

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 09:48 AM
Z and Billy Turner gone. Turner saves 3M. Packers have created 27M in cap space today.

Fosco33
03-14-2022, 10:51 AM
I liked Billy. Reliable and not a huge cap relief. Is the belief that we’ll have Jenkins and Bacteria back that we’ll just draft a backup for cheaper? Cap casualty for sure.

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 10:57 AM
I liked Billy. Reliable and not a huge cap relief. Is the belief that we’ll have Jenkins and Bacteria back that we’ll just draft a backup for cheaper? Cap casualty for sure.

I think they feel pretty confident in Nijman. Van Lanen could be in the picture as well. It's a pretty strong draft for O-linemen this year.

RashanGary
03-14-2022, 11:21 AM
Adams wants 27M per season because that is what Hopkins got on his extension.

But Hopkins was playing on a small long term deal and the new money just brought him up to make his deal more fair.

RashanGary
03-14-2022, 11:33 AM
Deandre Hopkins signed a two year extension making his deal a 5 year, 95 million dollar deal. It averaged out to 20M per year.

He was on such a small three year deal that part of that extension was to fix his old contract.

Adams is probably trying to get 27M/year or more. The Packers are probably saying that Hopkins deal was not a good measuring stick because it was really a five year deal for less than 100.

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 11:46 AM
Deandre Hopkins signed a two year extension making his deal a 5 year, 95 million dollar deal. It averaged out to 20M per year.

He was on such a small three year deal that part of that extension was to fix his old contract.

Adams is probably trying to get 27M/year or more. The Packers are probably saying that Hopkins deal was not a good measuring stick because it was really a five year deal for less than 100.

Yep. And last week Mike Williams of Chargers signed a 3 year, 60M deal with 40M guaranteed. He's good but not in Davante's class. I'm guessing Davante's market value will be between 22-25M. Guaranteed money in year 2 and 3 of the contract may be the real issue.

RashanGary
03-14-2022, 11:54 AM
Yep. And last week Mike Williams of Chargers signed a 3 year, 60M deal with 40M guaranteed. He's good but not in Davante's class. I'm guessing Davante's market value will be between 22-25M. Guaranteed money in year 2 and 3 of the contract may be the real issue.

Adams wants to be the highest paid. I am guessing he wants 27.5. And like you said, the Packers want to pay him about 25 per year.

If this contract is signed, the Packers are betting on Adams being one of the rare exceptions who does not drop off after 30.

They already have Bakhtiari on a similar bet.

Gute might be signing extensions that put him out of a job. If those two guys do not pan out, Gute hamstrings himself and his veteran loving approach fails.

The Thompson approach of drafting well and resigning your own had less risks. This could easily blow up in their face.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-14-2022, 12:14 PM
Adams wants to be the highest paid. I am guessing he wants 27.5. And like you said, the Packers want to pay him about 25 per year.

If this contract is signed, the Packers are betting on Adams being one of the rare exceptions who does not drop off after 30.

They already have Bakhtiari on a similar bet.

Gute might be signing extensions that put him out of a job. If those two guys do not pan out, Gute hamstrings himself and his veteran loving approach fails.

The Thompson approach of drafting well and resigning your own had less risks. This could easily blow up in their face.

I agree, but again, this looks like a 'blow your wad' strategy to try to get that last ring. Not sure they are looking out further than that..

texaspackerbacker
03-14-2022, 12:19 PM
It was surprising that the franchise tag would have been as low as $19m. Adams can't be blamed for not wanting that kind of deal. I've said all along we need to extend him long term and greatly reduce the cap number. The only reason not to would be if they think he won't be good 3-5 years from now, and a guy like him who doesn't really rely on speed should certainly be good into his mid-thirties. As for him wanting to be the "highest paid" WR, maybe - or maybe just media bullshit like with Rodgers. He probably deserves to be, and it may end up that way, but I expect what he really wants is a long term contract.

Fritz
03-14-2022, 12:34 PM
Well, most people thought Dr. Z would be cut, and he was. Many people thought Prestone Smith would sign something renegotiated, and he did.

But cutting your really good and versatile right guard/right tackle/left guard while Elgton Jenkins is rehabbing from a late-season torn ACL, so you can save, what, three million this year? Wow. Tex, all your stuff about the cap being meaningless is not supported by this move. At all.

Seems like either a dumb move or a desperate move, or both.

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 12:44 PM
Well, most people thought Dr. Z would be cut, and he was. Many people thought Prestone Smith would sign something renegotiated, and he did.

But cutting your really good and versatile right guard/right tackle/left guard while Elgton Jenkins is rehabbing from a late-season torn ACL, so you can save, what, three million this year? Wow. Tex, all your stuff about the cap being meaningless is not supported by this move. At all.

Turner was versatile, but in my opinion was only very good at RT. 2 years in a row they put him at LT in the playoffs and it was a mistake. Letting him go will only hurt if RT turns out to be a problem. I suspect they feel Nijman is ready to start and will have more upside.

texaspackerbacker
03-14-2022, 12:54 PM

As you say, cutting Z. Smith and restructuring P. Smith was expected. Yes, I did expect them to keep Turner too, but basically he's a small fish in the grand scheme of things, and as I always say (and so many disagree with), O Line is one of the least important positions in terms of the difference between mediocre and good. It just ain't that hard to find mediocre to good O Linemen like Turner.

As for the cap, a lot has to happen in the next couple of days, and I'm confident a lot of good stuff will happen - Adams, Alexander, Tonyan, MVS, Campbell, Douglas, did I forget anybody? I expect ALL of them to be back. Lowry is a maybe - like Turner was. Crosby I don't expect back. Cobb I expect to be cut and maybe re-signed cheap.

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 01:04 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

The #Jaguars are in agreement on a long-term deal with standout LB Foye Oluokun, per
@ajv
. A former 6th rounder from Yale(!) hits it big. He gets 3 years, $45M with upside to $46.5M. There is $28M fully guaranteed at signing.

Devondre Campbell's agent:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/J1dvepxpLawzQVcUp2/200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47qq86jp1a22nmoz79q3zj6tqvqj2g v9ib1mwf9w9s&rid=200w.webp&ct=g

red
03-14-2022, 02:27 PM

show just how much cap trouble we're in if we are cutting solid players to save 3 million here or there

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 02:40 PM
Packers re-sign Campbell. No terms yet.

Edit: 5 years, 50 million.

Bretsky
03-14-2022, 02:47 PM

Kudos to Tex being right on this one

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 02:52 PM
Kudos to Tex being right on this one

Well, if Tex is right they should also be able to sign Douglas, MVS etc. We'll see. Hope so. I don't see the Campbell signing as a surprise. Figured he was a higher priority than the other 2.

Fritz
03-14-2022, 03:29 PM
Turner was versatile, but in my opinion was only very good at RT. 2 years in a row they put him at LT in the playoffs and it was a mistake. Letting him go will only hurt if RT turns out to be a problem. I suspect they feel Nijman is ready to start and will have more upside.

Maybe, but to save a mere three million they go from having a deep line, even without Jenkins for the first half of the season, to being thin there. And despite what Tex thinks, the line matters. A lot.

I also disagree with you that Turner was only good at RT. I think it was his best spot, but he held up pretty well at LT in the playoff game this year.

If they were saving a significant sum, then okay. But for three mill? That's not worth cutting him.

red
03-14-2022, 04:50 PM

well, i like it

but i have no fucking clue how we get under the cap now

i would guess this adds somewhere between 4-6 million.

RashanGary
03-14-2022, 04:57 PM
well, i like it

but i have no fucking clue how we get under the cap now

You have a couple days before you will know. I believe they have to get under by the 16th.

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 05:03 PM
I don't worry about how they'll get under the cap. Russ Ball makes a lot of money to figure that out. I don't think Gute wakes up Wednesday morning and says "Shit! I gotta get under the cap today!"

RashanGary
03-14-2022, 05:08 PM
I don't worry about how they'll get under the cap. Russ Ball makes a lot of money to figure that out. I don't think Gute wakes up Wednesday morning and says "Shit! I gotta get under the cap today!"

Yep. They have got a plan. And probably a backup plan if they cannot get Davante extended and maybe a backup to the backup if Rodgers will not sign an extension right away.

texaspackerbacker
03-14-2022, 05:22 PM
It's starting to happen, and it's gonna pick up speed in the next couple of days. All indications are that the people running the Packers are thinking pretty much the way I'm thinking, which is gonna make the future very bright for all of us Packer fans. The plan has undoubtedly in place for a while. Now it's just executing details.

Joemailman
03-15-2022, 08:13 AM
With Rodgers contract finalized, Packers are about 4 million over the cap. An extension for Amos or Alexander would probably get it done. Or Adams, but it sounds like that might take a while.

Fritz
03-15-2022, 09:05 AM
I think they feel pretty confident in Nijman. Van Lanen could be in the picture as well. It's a pretty strong draft for O-linemen this year.

Joe, I disagreed with you earlier about cutting Turner.

However, upon reflection (occasionally, I do that), I've changed my mind and now agree with you. Restructuring Turner might've meant pushing more money into the future, and while three million is not a lot of savings, they do have Nijman, whom they may see as being a capable starting RT, and Jenkins, who might be able to play again by, what, mid-season? So with those two, plus a good draft, maybe they think that it's time to cut ties and forge ahead. God knows they've pushed enough money into future cap years already.

I wonder if they'll just start Nijman there and train Jenkins as a tackle from now on, then draft another guard in the middle rounds.

Tony Oday
03-15-2022, 09:08 AM
Joe, I disagreed with you earlier about cutting Turner.

However, upon reflection (occasionally, I do that), I've changed my mind and now agree with you. Restructuring Turner might've meant pushing more money into the future, and while three million is not a lot of savings, they do have Nijman, whom they may see as being a capable starting RT, and Jenkins, who might be able to play again by, what, mid-season? So with those two, plus a good draft, maybe they think that it's time to cut ties and forge ahead. God knows they've pushed enough money into future cap years already.

I wonder if they'll just start Nijman there and train Jenkins as a tackle from now on, then draft another guard in the middle rounds.

Agreed, we dont need Jenkins until week 14ish so he can knock the rust off and play in the playoffs.

Joemailman
03-15-2022, 10:51 AM
Lazard back, unless somebody offers a 2nd round pick for him.

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo

The #Packers are tendering restricted free agent WR Allen Lazard at the second-round level, source says. That comes with a one-year salary offer of just under $4 million.

Joemailman
03-15-2022, 11:29 AM
Oren Burks signing with 49ers.

Terrible linebacker, but he was one of Packers better ST players.

ThunderDan
03-15-2022, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=HarveyWallbangers;1111615]I have no problem believing Rodgers on this statement. I guess we

ThunderDan
03-15-2022, 11:40 AM
Quoting isn't working right now.

But I guess Arod was right when he said it wasn't 4 year and $200 M. It's only 3 years and $150 M.

Am i right?

Bretsky
03-15-2022, 11:56 AM
Lazard back, unless somebody offers a 2nd round pick for him.

yikes; nobody's giving up a 2nd rounder for Lazard. I'd happily take one though

What was the next step down tender ?

texaspackerbacker
03-15-2022, 12:08 PM
Question for Joe or anybody else who might know for sure: Assuming the cap room is available, could the Packers franchise tag Davante by the Wednesday deadline? Even though he has said he won't play for that it would buy time to extend him - right or wrong?

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2022, 12:14 PM

But I guess Arod was right when he said it wasn't 4 year and $200 M. It's only 3 years and $150 M.

Am i right?

Yes, you are. I’

Upnorth
03-15-2022, 12:17 PM
With Rodgers contract finalized, Packers are about 4 million over the cap. An extension for Amos or Alexander would probably get it done. Or Adams, but it sounds like that might take a while.

I want both Amos and Alexander extended. Alexander is going to cost a small fortune....

Also the Kirk deal is going to mess up all wr contracts this year. He is an ok 2nd. But getting paid like a top 10 -15 wr.... Ouch

ThunderDan
03-15-2022, 12:25 PM
Question for Joe or anybody else who might know for sure: Assuming the cap room is available, could the Packers franchise tag Davante by the Wednesday deadline? Even though he has said he won't play for that it would buy time to extend him - right or wrong?

He has already been franchised.

texaspackerbacker
03-15-2022, 12:33 PM
Are you sure? All I can find is the articles saying he said he won't play with the franchise tag, not that it had been done.

SudsMcBucky
03-15-2022, 12:35 PM

Cap room is ALWAYS available.....or so I've been told. It's something only fans worry about.

Upnorth
03-15-2022, 12:41 PM
So I just read something that said Kirk is now the 3rd highest paid receiver. Man we should have gotten a deal done last week.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2022, 01:55 PM

Am i right?

Technically, it’s a 5 year $186M deal.

Joemailman
03-15-2022, 01:57 PM
Are you sure? All I can find is the articles saying he said he won't play with the franchise tag, not that it had been done.

It has already has been done. The two sides have until July 15 to work out a contract agreement. If none is reached then he plays (or doesn't play) for the franchise amount which is about 20 million. I don't know what happens if he decides to sit out the season. Not sure if anyone's ever done it.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2022, 02:03 PM
It has already has been done. The two sides have until July 15 to work out a contract agreement. If none is reached then he plays (or doesn't play) for the franchise amount which is about 20 million. I don't know what happens if he decides to sit out the season. Not sure if anyone's ever done it.

Le’Veon Bell, recently.

Joemailman
03-15-2022, 03:09 PM
Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman

@TomPelissero
mentioned yesterday that the Packers offered Davante a deal that would "easily" make him the highest-paid WR in history, but there are still fundamental differences between the two sides on length and structure.

Four months to figure it out. There's time.

Pretty sure the issue here is guaranteed money. Have heard Davante wants first 3 years guaranteed.

texaspackerbacker
03-15-2022, 06:09 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. I'd give him the three years guaranteed and stretch it out to five for proration purposes. The cap is significantly better off this year, and about the only risk is Adams getting seriously hurt. I doubt he deteriorates in three years or less if not seriously injured.

Didn't Laveon Bell have some kind of attitude problem or whatever? I don't think Adams has any negatives like that.

Bretsky
03-15-2022, 09:58 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. I'd give him the three years guaranteed and stretch it out to five for proration purposes. The cap is significantly better off this year, and about the only risk is Adams getting seriously hurt. I doubt he deteriorates in three years or less if not seriously injured.

Didn't Laveon Bell have some kind of attitude problem or whatever? I don't think Adams has any negatives like that.

Bell reportedly had some attitude issued Tex; however to embrace that you'd have to believe the GD media because nothing form the team or his teammates really brought any direct evidence of that out :)))

Joemailman
03-15-2022, 10:05 PM
Bears signing Lucas Patrick to a 2 year $8 million contract.

Upnorth
03-16-2022, 08:20 AM
For those that keep saying the cap doesnt matter,

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

We are currently 7 million over the cap and have 24 million in dead money.
If our past didnt impact our present we would be under the cap by 14 million. That would hsve given us the space to resign douglas, or say pick up DJ chark. The much needed second wr that put up a 1000 yard season with Gardner Minshew. Some who say the cap doesnt matter have said we are a good #2 we from the sb. Found him...

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2022, 08:54 AM
Dbl post.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2022, 08:56 AM

If our past didnt impact our present we would be under the cap by 14 million. That would hsve given us the space to resign douglas, or say pick up DJ chark. The much needed second wr that put up a 1000 yard season with Gardner Minshew. Some who say the cap doesnt matter have said we are a good #2 we from the sb. Found him...

“Dead money” is nothing but an accounting item that has already been accounted for. Cutting Butte and getting drowned with $107M in dead money doesn’t mean you’re paying Butte $107M. In an era of soaring revenues and titanic TV contracts, dead money merely provides the pig owners an excuse to cut labor expenses. Expenses fuck with the pig’s profit margin. In short, dead money is pretty much irrelevant.

Look at your source for examples of said irrelevancy. The Seafucks have over $40M in dead money, and lo and behold, they’re almost $40M beneath the cap. The Mobsters of the Midway are drenched in even more dead money ($45M); according to your source, they’re $34.5M below.

Cook the fucking cap!

Joemailman
03-16-2022, 09:33 AM

The cap matters. But the draft matters more. The Packers got into this situation because a couple bad drafts late in TT's tenure caused Gute to spend big in free agency in 2019 to fill major holes in the roster. Then Covid hit and the salary cap went unexpectedly down. I think the Packers are handling the cap as well as can be expected. The key out of this is to draft well. If they draft well, they'll be able to cut high priced vets without seeing a big drop in talent level. There won't have to be a fire sale. This year it was Z and probably MVS who have to go. Next year probably Aaron Jones and Dean Lowry. Maybe even Bakhtiari if his knee doesn't respond.

ThunderDan
03-16-2022, 11:10 AM
"Dead Money" is a very real thing. APB just spouts off about cash flow which has nothing to do with the cap. The reason Seattle and the Bears are under the cap even with dead money is they have shitty rosters. That doesn't change how much money they have to spend which is a lot since they traded away their big price tag players this offseason.

Of course APB should know the difference as a supposed ex-CPA or something but he doesn't and shows why he is a burger flipper and not a CPA when he could get a $70,000 salary offer from 10 CPA firms in WI within a week.

ThunderDan
03-16-2022, 11:11 AM
The cap matters. But the draft matters more. The Packers got into this situation because a couple bad drafts late in TT's tenure caused Gute to spend big in free agency in 2019 to fill major holes in the roster. Then Covid hit and the salary cap went unexpectedly down. I think the Packers are handling the cap as well as can be expected. The key out of this is to draft well. If they draft well, they'll be able to cut high priced vets without seeing a big drop in talent level. There won't have to be a fire sale. This year it was Z and probably MVS who have to go. Next year probably Aaron Jones and Dean Lowry. Maybe even Bakhtiari if his knee doesn't respond.

We did have some bad drafts that have caused us to spend more to fill holes.

Upnorth
03-16-2022, 11:17 AM
“Dead money” is nothing but an accounting item that has already been accounted for. Cutting Butte and getting drowned with $107M in dead money doesn’t mean you’re paying Butte $107M. In an era of soaring revenues and titanic TV contracts, dead money merely provides the pig owners an excuse to cut labor expenses. Expenses fuck with the pig’s profit margin. In short, dead money is pretty much irrelevant.

Look at your source for examples of said irrelevancy. The Seafucks have over $40M in dead money, and lo and behold, they’re almost $40M beneath the cap. The Mobsters of the Midway are drenched in even more dead money ($45M); according to your source, they’re $34.5M below.

Cook the fucking cap!

So your example of the cap not mattering is 2 teams that missed the playoffs. One is the bears and they suck but the other is the Seahawks who have been slowly drowning due to poor financial decisions and asset allocation.
You are right that dead money no longer has to be paid as it already had. That has no relevance to team construction. The packers are a cash flow positive position every year. In a real dollar sense I don't care how much we spend, and honestly if we spent 100% of revenues it wouldn't matter (for a few years) in a real money sense.

The cap on the other hand has to be factored in especially for a 'rich' team like the packers. Our problem is not having real money to pay players. Our problem is having 24 million less cap dollars to get a second fa wr, and a back up tackle. That is what 24 million dead money costs this team. 1 of those things you say ad nauseam would get us to the sb.
Redundant explanation to follow for emphasis.
So my arguement is based on your statement that we need a #2wr the cap very much matters. You can't have it both ways. Real money doesn't matter to the packers as a team. Cap money does matter because each time we spend future dollars we make tomorrows team a little weaker. Every time we make it a little weaker it adds up. Eventually we cant afford those nice things like wr depth and oline depth. Then we become like the bears, who's cap situation very much hurts them.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2022, 11:53 AM
So your example of the cap not mattering is 2 teams that missed the playoffs. One is the bears and they suck but the other is the Seahawks who have been slowly drowning due to poor financial decisions and asset allocation.
You are right that dead money no longer has to be paid as it already had. That has no relevance to team construction. The packers are a cash flow positive position every year. In a real dollar sense I don't care how much we spend, and honestly if we spent 100% of revenues it wouldn't matter (for a few years) in a real money sense.

The cap on the other hand has to be factored in especially for a 'rich' team like the packers. Our problem is not having real money to pay players. Our problem is having 24 million less cap dollars to get a second fa wr, and a back up tackle. That is what 24 million dead money costs this team. 1 of those things you say ad nauseam would get us to the sb.
Redundant explanation to follow for emphasis.
So my arguement is based on your statement that we need a #2wr the cap very much matters. You can't have it both ways. Real money doesn't matter to the packers as a team. Cap money does matter because each time we spend future dollars we make tomorrows team a little weaker. Every time we make it a little weaker it adds up. Eventually we cant afford those nice things like wr depth and oline depth. Then we become like the bears, who's cap situation very much hurts them.

Did you even read your own source? The Bears have $45M in dead money, almost double the Pack’s number, yet they’re $34.5M below. If dead money is so important, shouldn’t the Bears be in a so-called cap hell today?

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2022, 11:59 AM
And via your source, the Saints have just $13.4M in dead money, yet, if Bobble is to be believed (cos they kept cooking Brees’ contract, says Bobble), they’re supposedly are in a cap hell.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2022, 12:06 PM
"Dead Money" is a very real thing. APB just spouts off about cash flow which has nothing to do with the cap. The reason Seattle and the Bears are under the cap even with dead money is they have shitty rosters. That doesn't change how much money they have to spend which is a lot since they traded away their big price tag players this offseason.

Of course APB should know the difference as a supposed ex-CPA or something but he doesn't and shows why he is a burger flipper and not a CPA when he could get a $70,000 salary offer from 10 CPA firms in WI within a week.

I never once said I was a CPA. Pigs won’t hire me, and therefore I lack the accounting experience to call myself a CPA. I have, however, passed the Wisconsin CPA exams four scores and 7 years ago.

So long as cash flow is a flowing, the cap can always be cooked. Dead money is irrelevant.

Upnorth
03-16-2022, 12:22 PM
Did you even read your own source? The Bears have $45M in dead money, almost double the Pack’s number, yet they’re $34.5M below. If dead money is so important, shouldn’t the Bears be in a so-called cap hell today?

The bears have a shitty roster. They have only 135mil spent on their roster, yet inly have 30 mil left to spend. They are in cap he'll. If they maximize this year's spending their roster is only going to have a value of 164 mil. The only team who is in larger cap he'll is the Seahawks.
Both teams missed the playoffs. I bet both do in 2022 season as well. And a big reason will be cap mismanagement. You can borrow a bit from the future but you gotta pay it back.

texaspackerbacker
03-16-2022, 12:22 PM
Both of our accountants are correct in a way. True, dead money is a paper transaction in terms of the cap in the voided years. But also true that it is paid - paid in advance as bonuses later prorated on the books for cap purposes. Bottom line is that it is a means to cook the books for the salary cap. It's also true that it hurts in terms of the cap, and teams with shitty rosters as well as some maybe with good rosters can be both way under the cap and heavy with dead money. At some point, the Packers will need to bite that bullet when Rodgers is gone - hopefully many years from now. Very likely the cap will be MUCH higher by then, and it won't be too big a factor for very long. Regardless, when Rodgers is gone, the team will likely be way down for a while until or unless we come up with a Rodgers-like QB - primarily in terms of interceptions but really in every way.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2022, 12:38 PM
The bears have a shitty roster. They have only 135mil spent on their roster, yet inly have 30 mil left to spend. They are in cap he'll. If they maximize this year's spending their roster is only going to have a value of 164 mil. The only team who is in larger cap he'll is the Seahawks.
Both teams missed the playoffs. I bet both do in 2022 season as well. And a big reason will be cap mismanagement. You can borrow a bit from the future but you gotta pay it back.

So since the Jets only have $1.474M in dead money, they’re Super Bowl bound?

Via the CBA, each team has to spend a certain amount (can’t recall what exactly) on players or they face penalty. Teams can’t just sign minimum-wage players all around cos they suck. Bears paid Mack, Robinson, Fuller, etc., plenty of frogskins. They’re not in a cap hell despite $45M in dead money.

Dead money is irrelevant.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2022, 01:01 PM
The signing bonus is typically the only portion of an NFL player’s contract that is guaranteed. A player would be stupid to take a 5 year $100M contract with a one dollar signing bonus over a 3 year $40M contract with $35M in signing bonus.

It takes positive cash flow to pay signing bonuses. Signing bonuses can be cooked. Therefore, so long as cash flow remains a-flowing, the cap can always be cooked.

Logic, yo.

Joemailman
03-16-2022, 02:28 PM
Packers not bringing back FA punter Corey Bojorquez. He faded badly once the weather turned cold, and his holding for placekicks was questionable.

Sparkey
03-16-2022, 02:48 PM
The clock is ticking to get under the cap.

call_me_ishmael
03-16-2022, 02:50 PM
Packers not bringing back FA punter Corey Bojorquez. He faded badly once the weather turned cold, and his holding for placekicks was questionable.

WTF this is crazy IMO. He is a great punter. I can't speak to his holding but dude has a boot for sure.

Sparkey
03-16-2022, 02:58 PM
Packers are 7 million over the cap with 2 minutes to go.

Joemailman
03-16-2022, 03:00 PM
Dianna Russini
@diannaESPN

CB Rasul Douglas has received multiple offers over the last few days, but ongoing conversations continue on a potential extension with the Green Bay Packers. I’m told both sides want to get it done, per sources.

Sparkey
03-16-2022, 03:01 PM
Who will show up as released soon ?
Cobb ?
Amos ?

Joemailman
03-16-2022, 03:03 PM
WTF this is crazy IMO. He is a great punter. I can't speak to his holding but dude has a boot for sure.

Fixing the placekicking problems is more important than having a good punter. If Bisaccia decided he's a bad holder, then he has to go.

Joemailman
03-16-2022, 03:04 PM
Cobb ?
Amos ?

Probably both with a restructured contract.

bobblehead
03-16-2022, 03:18 PM
Cobb ?
Amos ?

Can't cut Cobb or Crosby or Rodgers will cry.

Sparkey
03-16-2022, 03:30 PM
Za'Darius Smith to sign a 4 year 35 million deal with the Ravens

Joemailman
03-16-2022, 03:36 PM

Good. I thought Bears or Vikings might want him.

Joemailman
03-16-2022, 03:46 PM
Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Per sources, the Packers heard from Twitter that the salary cap is not in fact real and therefore decided to just not comply with today’s deadline.

Sparkey
03-16-2022, 03:48 PM
Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Per sources, the Packers heard from Twitter that the salary cap is not in fact real and therefore decided to just not comply with today’s deadline.

I saw that. haha

call_me_ishmael
03-16-2022, 04:17 PM
Why does everyone even float the idea of moving on from Amos? You don't get rid of good players like that that are page a modest rate. He would get a huge raise on the open market so I'm sure *he'd love that*. You don't get rid of players like that.

Bretsky
03-16-2022, 06:14 PM

Did we have up a R5 pick for this guy ? Maybe I'm inaginining this

Bretsky
03-16-2022, 06:15 PM
Bears signing Lucas Patrick to a 2 year $8 million contract.

The Getsy Effect; I hate this. Tausch loved this guy. Noted he was the mean presence along our OL and was the guy who gave an attitude

Bretsky
03-16-2022, 06:18 PM
Cobb ?
Amos ?

Would Erin cry a river if Cobb was released ? I embraced bringing back Randall but he was really a disappointment.

Bretsky
03-16-2022, 06:19 PM
Fixing the placekicking problems is more important than having a good punter. If Bisaccia decided he's a bad holder, then he has to go.

Agree
But i'm going to pound the table and scream again

OUR SNAPPER SUCKED !!! THREADS OUT DAMMIT, THREADS OUT !!!!!!!!!

Joemailman
03-16-2022, 06:22 PM
Did we have up a R5 pick for this guy ? Maybe I'm inaginining this

Packers gave up a 6th and got back a 7th. Both are 2023 picks. Packers don't have a 6th because they traded it for Randall Cobb.

red
03-16-2022, 06:23 PM
Why does everyone even float the idea of moving on from Amos? You don't get rid of good players like that that are page a modest rate. He would get a huge raise on the open market so I'm sure *he'd love that*. You don't get rid of players like that.

because we are running out of other ways to get under the cap

Joemailman
03-16-2022, 06:42 PM
I read Pack hasn't filed paperwork on Campbell yet, to help them get under the cap. Haven't heard of any other moves, although I suspect an extension for Amos might have been done.

wthigoot
03-16-2022, 07:34 PM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-free-agency-2022/2022/3/16/22981615/green-bay-packers-free-agency-erfa-tenders-yosh-nijman-krys-barnes-henry-black-update

ERFAs are done:
Nijman
Barnes
Dafney
Hanson
Ramsey
M. Taylor

No to Black, C. Rivers

Black played a lot so somewhat of a surprise he is not back

Sparkey
03-16-2022, 07:52 PM
Cobb restructured deal. Takes 5.5m paycut.

texaspackerbacker
03-16-2022, 08:43 PM
That's about what I expected regarding Cobb. Regarding Henry Black, I think we still have Vernon Scott who seemed to be a better player than Black before he got hurt. As for Amos, if the cap situation is now taken care of, as it should be with the Cobb transaction, they can take their time with him. I don't think anybody is "floating the idea" of moving on from Amos, just restructuring to be farther under the cap in order to sign other people. Ditto that with doing what needs to be done with Alexander. Hopefully the announcement comes soon that we retain Douglas too. Tonyan and MVS need to get taken care of. I'm beginning to worry a little bit about MVS, but still maybe 60/40 IMO we keep him. Get Davante extended by July, and all is well.

Sparkey
03-16-2022, 09:01 PM
I don't think MVS or Tonyan will be coming back.

Bretsky
03-16-2022, 11:49 PM

I really like Amos but I think he's fairly paid. A good reliable safety, but not a star/playmaker.
If they let him go I'd guess he gets a similar contract elsewhere.

Bretsky
03-16-2022, 11:53 PM
Cobb restructured deal. Takes 5.5m paycut.

Disappointed but I expected they'd massage AROD's nuts by bringing Cobb back. I thought last year he might produce about 50 catches and 500 yards and use his ability to come back to the ball a few times per game in key spots. But he didn't. Now he's a year older. Seems like a wasted spot when we could try to develop somebody with some upside (like Rodgers or Winfree, or God Help up, a High Draft pick at WR ??

Bretsky
03-16-2022, 11:56 PM
I don't think MVS or Tonyan will be coming back.

I know I'm not alone when I say this, but perhaps the Minority.

We need to get BETTER at WR. Two years ago, when we needed 10 yards in the playoffs to advance, four times in a row we didn't have the personnell to get open. Yes, AROD should have run on 3rd down, but gosh it would've been nice to have a reliable #2 WR with the talent to be one. And in the playoff lost last yr we needed more players not named Devante Adams getting open consistently. It doesn't happy enough.

So MVS, thinks for the memories but go get your money in the AFC.

Now I'll start dreaming about our next WR; perhaps the Alabama Slamma who is injured and has been getting mock drafted in the 25-32 range ?

Bretsky
03-17-2022, 12:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uucXfx4hOcc

texaspackerbacker
03-17-2022, 12:07 AM
Ya'all can still be as negative as you want, but I'm predicting 80/20 on Tonyan and 60/40 on MVS to stay.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 12:15 AM
Disappointed but I expected they'd massage AROD's nuts by bringing Cobb back. I thought last year he might produce about 50 catches and 500 yards and use his ability to come back to the ball a few times per game in key spots. But he didn't. Now he's a year older. Seems like a wasted spot when we could try to develop somebody with some upside (like Rodgers or Winfree, or God Help up, a High Draft pick at WR ??

He could put up those kind of numbers if he could stay healthy. Last year he had 375 yards and 5 TD's in 12 games. Problem is he's missed 5 or more games 3 out of the last 4 seasons.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 12:27 AM
Now I'll start dreaming about our next WR; perhaps the Alabama Slamma who is injured and has been getting mock drafted in the 25-32 range ?

Unfortunately, I don't think he'll last that long. He was probably a top 10 pick before the injury. Someone will take a chance on him. I'm just hoping Vikings don't get him to pair with Justin Jefferson.

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2022, 03:04 AM

I don't know. That's basically what Cobb did. He had 39 catches and 5 TDs, but he missed 5 games. Pro-rated over a full season, that's 55 catches and 6 TDs.

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2022, 03:04 AM
He could put up those kind of numbers if he could stay healthy. Last year he had 375 yards and 5 TD's in 12 games. Problem is he's missed 5 or more games 3 out of the last 4 seasons.

I was late to the party.

Sparkey
03-17-2022, 07:24 AM
Pat O'Donnel is our new punter :bs:

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 08:11 AM

I suspect there will be come competition brought in at some point.

Tony Oday
03-17-2022, 08:25 AM
I know I'm not alone when I say this, but perhaps the Minority.

We need to get BETTER at WR. Two years ago, when we needed 10 yards in the playoffs to advance, four times in a row we didn't have the personnell to get open. Yes, AROD should have run on 3rd down, but gosh it would've been nice to have a reliable #2 WR with the talent to be one. And in the playoff lost last yr we needed more players not named Devante Adams getting open consistently. It doesn't happy enough.

So MVS, thinks for the memories but go get your money in the AFC.

THEY WERE OPEN!!! AR just was locked into DA the whole game.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-17-2022, 08:43 AM

The Oedipal son of ex NFL great, Neil O

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 08:44 AM
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

The Packers turned $5.888 million of Adrian Amos' $7 million base salary into a singing bonus and then added 4 void years.

Meanwhile, Cobb took a pay cut from $7.875 to $2.075 million. There may be incentives for Cobb to earn money back, though.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-17-2022, 08:44 AM

The Oedipal son of ex NFL great, Neil O’Donnell. Neil O’Donnell is infamous for smoking cigarettes on the sidelines during games…and throwing a couple of gimmie picks to Larry Brown in Super Bowl 30.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 09:01 AM
They obviously signed Pat O'Donnell because it's St. Patrick's Day. He knows a little something about the wearin' of the green.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-17-2022, 09:36 AM
They obviously signed Pat O'Donnell because it's St. Patrick's Day. He knows a little something about the wearin' of the green.

2 years $4M, 1.6 guarantee. Looks like he has made the roster.

Fritz
03-17-2022, 09:56 AM
I can see them dropping Bojorquez once it became clear they wanted Crosby back. Those two did not seem to get along - you could see if after kicks, even successful kicks - you could see it in the body language. Also, Crosby has always been generous in his comments about holders - he never blamed them for misses. He didn't blame Bojo either - but he didn't day anything about him. That, paired with Bojo's winter fade, probably was enough to make them try again. I think I'm okay with it- he was the bee's knees for two-and-a-half-months, but he faded badly - not just distance but hang time and shanking - and he seemed to not work well with Crosby. He seemed kind of crummy as a holder.

I would be really sad if they don't bring Tonyan back. They tried and failed to find a replacement for Jermichael Finley for years, and Tonyan finally fit the bill. Not a great blocker, but willing, and he caught everything. And got open.

I do assume they signed Pat O'Donnell just because it's Saint Patty's Day.

They also just signed another punter, Irish as well. I don't know his name, but I found his picture:

https://i.etsystatic.com/21991227/r/il/34153b/2581945526/il_1588xN.2581945526_t64a.jpg

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2022, 10:14 AM
I don't know. That's basically what Cobb did. He had 39 catches and 5 TDs, but he missed 5 games. Pro-rated over a full season, that's 55 catches and 6 TDs.

I am shocked by this but the numbers don't lie. I perceive his impact to be quite a bit less than this. What do you think of his resigning? I'd like to see him return punts if they're gonna use the roster spot on him.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 10:30 AM
Packers now have $1.1 million salary cap room to go crazy in free agency.

Fritz
03-17-2022, 10:49 AM
I sense that the team and Bisaccia concluded that Crosby's poor year was mostly the snapper and holder. Thus, O'Donnell, an established vet. I looked up his stats - he's 31 years old and seems to be a solid, if not great, punter. But maybe he's a great holder. And he did throw one pass in his career - for a touchdown. Bet Mason has a boner over this signing.

Sparkey
03-17-2022, 10:50 AM
Packers now have $1.1 million salary cap room to go crazy in free agency.

However, they will need about 3.2 million of cap space for their draft picks in April. Anyone dreaming of a big addition via FA is having a wet dream at this point.

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2022, 10:57 AM
The Packers have a top 3 player at most of the important positions aside from edge rusher. They have a young blossoming one there too. They're in amazing shape and don't need FA. What they need is to fortify depth this year in the draft. They desperately need another #1 receiver and they'll be in business. They also need a premier DL.

If the Saints land Watson, boy, they're gonna be right back in the thick of things and a playoff team that contends IMO. Could be tough due to suspension so we shalll see.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 11:09 AM
However, they will need about 3.2 million of cap space for their draft picks in April. Anyone dreaming of a big addition via FA is having a wet dream at this point.

They also haven't actually signed Campbell yet, so that has to be figured in too. I don't think they need the money for the draft picks until they start signing the picks in the summer. Basically though, there's not much they can do FA wise until they create some cap room by extending Alexander and/or Adams.

Sparkey
03-17-2022, 11:49 AM
They also haven't actually signed Campbell yet, so that has to be figured in too. I don't think they need the money for the draft picks until they start signing the picks in the summer. Basically though, there's not much they can do FA wise until they create some cap room by extending Alexander and/or Adams.

That number is the draft picks assigned tender value. Which is assigned to the cap when the player is drafted.

I believe when their contract is signed their real cap amount replaces the tender amount.

jklowan
03-17-2022, 01:27 PM

The 1.1 million in cap space includes Campbell's contract. Douglas/Tonyan haven't been signed yet, Tonyan shouldn't be hard but I think Douglas is gone.

Looks like WR/CB/DT/TE in the 1st 4 picks to me. Not sure how I feel yet about all the money they threw at the Drama Lama as I want a superbowl and I'm not sure this team can do it.

Dream draft looking at out holes....
in any order they fall for our 1st 4 picks

Jameson Williams, Drake London or Chris Olave / Demarvin Leal or Perrion Winfrey / Jaylen Wydermyre / Marcus Jones or Coby Bryant

Anti-Polar Bear
03-17-2022, 01:36 PM

Cook the cap.

SudsMcBucky
03-17-2022, 01:57 PM
The 1.1 million in cap space includes Campbell's contract. Douglas/Tonyan haven't been signed yet, Tonyan shouldn't be hard but I think Douglas is gone.

Looks like WR/CB/DT/TE in the 1st 4 picks to me. Not sure how I feel yet about all the money they threw at the Drama Lama as I want a superbowl and I'm not sure this team can do it.

Dream draft looking at out holes....
in any order they fall for our 1st 4 picks

Jameson Williams, Drake London or Chris Olave / Demarvin Leal or Perrion Winfrey / Jaylen Wydermyre / Marcus Jones or Coby Bryant

Before the combine, I thought we'd have a legit shot at Devonte Wyatt out of Georgia. I so wanted that pick. After he blew it up, though, we have no shot.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 01:58 PM
Just a couple charts for your viewing pleasure.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOEf91ZXwAIU1-i?format=png&name=medium
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOEpYNwWUAQNjhU?format=png&name=small

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2022, 02:37 PM

The guys stats are pretty similar to Bojorquez. He's punted in Chicago. Bojorquez has punted in Buffalo and Green Bay, so that's about a wash. It looks like a slight downgrade in punting, but this guy is likely a better holder.

Sparkey
03-17-2022, 02:37 PM
Gary, Alexander & Jenkins are UFA's next year. They need to tie up Alexander this year. Big money for Gary and Jenkins next year as well.

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2022, 02:39 PM
Right now, we need a speed WR, TE (if Tonyan doesn't resign), OL depth, DL, EDGE depth, and CB (if Rasul doesn't resign).

I'd take Christian Watson, Alec Pierce, or George Pickens at WR, Tonyan at TE, a midround OL, Travis Jones at DL, a day 2 EDGE defender, Rasul and a midround CB.

Bretsky
03-17-2022, 04:18 PM
Right now, we need a speed WR, TE (if Tonyan doesn't resign), OL depth, DL, EDGE depth, and CB (if Rasul doesn't resign).

I'd take Christian Watson, Alec Pierce, or George Pickens at WR, Tonyan at TE, a midround OL, Travis Jones at DL, a day 2 EDGE defender, Rasul and a midround CB.

IF Williams from bama is there are you on board with taking him ? To get Watson , which pick do we have to use ? Is he better prospect than MVS ? Can he be a legit 2 ? Think we need to use round one on him ?

Upnorth
03-17-2022, 04:41 PM
Joe, love the second chart (if true). Where did you get it?

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 04:50 PM
Joe, love the second chart (if true). Where did you get it?

Twitter Mike Clay
@MikeClayNFL

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 05:48 PM
Bears signing EQ St. Brown.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 06:06 PM

Z has reportedly backed out of deal with Ravens.

Upnorth
03-17-2022, 06:42 PM
Hate linking to this site

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/17/reports-packers-trading-davante-adams-to-raiders/

Better be good compensation. Timing sucks. I wanted chark

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 07:44 PM
There are reports Packers have agreed to a deal with Rasul Douglas. They've just been waiting until they can clear the cap room.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 08:58 PM

Does the Adams trade change the type of WR Packers would go for?

texaspackerbacker
03-17-2022, 09:26 PM
That depends on what happens with MVS and anybody else we can get in free agency. If he doesn't get re-signed, we have a need for speed. If he does, we just need the closest we can get to Davante.

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2022, 11:49 PM
Does the Adams trade change the type of WR Packers would go for?

I think they look at drafting two WRs now by the end of day 2 (they have 5 picks). I'd still like to see a deep threat--like Watson, Pierce, or Pickens. I'd also like to see a good all around WR. If one of the top 6-7 drop (London, Burks, Williams, Wilson, Olave, or Dotson), the Packers have to consider them in round 1. In round 2 they could look at Skyy Moore, John Metchie, Jalen Tolbert, or Justyn Ross. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go EDGE, OL, and/or DL with the 2 picks in round 1 and then come back with 2 WRs on day 2. I really want to see them get a couple of the top 13-14 WRs. I think the WR group falls off after that. That could be a day 1 pick and a day 2 pick or two day 2 picks.

Fritz
03-18-2022, 06:29 AM
I generally agree with Harv. But I don't think they'll necessarily target two "types;" I think they'll get the two best as they seem them, whatever the style.

Having the extra picks allows for more position diversity, which I like. You can look for Kenny Clark's running mate, look for your next edge rusher, that sort of thing, while still getting a couple WR's fairly early. And now you're free to see if you can find a safety to challenge Savage, who frankly has been disappointing except for one stretch.

But if Gutes falls in love and trades up, a lot of that is gone. I hope he doesn't do that. But then again, maybe he will and choose a future pro bowler. But in general, I'm not a fan of trading up.

Upnorth
03-18-2022, 09:37 AM
Looking at over the cap we are only 1 million below. That does not include Douglas.

I kinda feel foolish going on about fa wr. Stupid 24 million credit card debt holding us back.

I think we need wr edge dl and ol in top 5.
I hope we don't trade up at all, as the only place we have immediate need is wr and there appears to be lots. Wr tends to be a numbers game anyway with few sure things.

George Cumby
03-18-2022, 09:40 AM
Man, I hope he doesn't trade up. They've got a lot of picks now and can really re-load an already solid roster.

I really hope they find a burner who can take the top off the defense.

call_me_ishmael
03-18-2022, 10:29 AM
I think they look at drafting two WRs now by the end of day 2 (they have 5 picks). I'd still like to see a deep threat--like Watson, Pierce, or Pickens. I'd also like to see a good all around WR. If one of the top 6-7 drop (London, Burks, Williams, Wilson, Olave, or Dotson), the Packers have to consider them in round 1. In round 2 they could look at Skyy Moore, John Metchie, Jalen Tolbert, or Justyn Ross. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go EDGE, OL, and/or DL with the 2 picks in round 1 and then come back with 2 WRs on day 2. I really want to see them get a couple of the top 13-14 WRs. I think the WR group falls off after that. That could be a day 1 pick and a day 2 pick or two day 2 picks.

Something that I was thinking - which is probably a pipe dream - is if they could land Fletcher Cox in FA for a reasonably affordable price to shore up the DL, then land an edge in R1. Then draft the ACL WR, and another WR, and an OL with their first five picks or so. If you can trade Love for an R2 and add another guy that you think is can be a good fit (probably another OL or DL), this team really doesn't have a lot of holes if they stay healthy.

I agree with you that the big four positions are WR, DL, Edge and OL.

bobblehead
03-18-2022, 10:51 AM
I generally agree with Harv. But I don't think they'll necessarily target two "types;" I think they'll get the two best as they seem them, whatever the style.

Having the extra picks allows for more position diversity, which I like. You can look for Kenny Clark's running mate, look for your next edge rusher, that sort of thing, while still getting a couple WR's fairly early. And now you're free to see if you can find a safety to challenge Savage, who frankly has been disappointing except for one stretch.

But if Gutes falls in love and trades up, a lot of that is gone. I hope he doesn't do that. But then again, maybe he will and choose a future pro bowler. But in general, I'm not a fan of trading up.

Glad to see someone besides me who isn't on the Savage bandwagon. We could have stayed put and drafted any of 3 safeties who are all playing similar to Savage at this point.

Joemailman
03-18-2022, 11:40 AM
Kevin Fishbain
@kfishbain

New Bears C Lucas Patrick: “This opportunity is once in a lifetime, in my opinion. To go from one historic franchise to *the* historic franchise in the NFL, it’s Chicago. It speaks for itself. That was too good to pass up.”

Did he learn nothing while he was here?:bang:

Joemailman
03-18-2022, 11:46 AM
Glad to see someone besides me who isn't on the Savage bandwagon. We could have stayed put and drafted any of 3 safeties who are all playing similar to Savage at this point.

Packers have until May 2 to decide whether to pick up 5th year option on Savage. If the do, he will be due 8 million in 2023. Also have to decide on Gary which should be easy. Gary would earn 11 million.

texaspackerbacker
03-18-2022, 01:03 PM
I'm still not completely in favor of a high pick for a WR. I think we maybe go after a speed guy in free agency. Valdez-Scantling would be my first choice, But Fuller was on a one year deal last year and should be available. And this Keelan Cole guy that some are talking about ran a 4.33 at the combine, so he would be suitable. Maybe even get two of the three. And maybe a well thought out 4th or 3rd round WR pick would also be good. Also a factor is what they think of Amari Rodgers. If he's still in the picture or Malik Taylor, there's less of a need. And of course, Cobb is back.

bobblehead
03-18-2022, 01:41 PM
Did he learn nothing while he was here?:bang:

He learned to say nice things about the team that paid him.

Upnorth
03-18-2022, 06:57 PM
Packers have until May 2 to decide whether to pick up 5th year option on Savage. If the do, he will be due 8 million in 2023. Also have to decide on Gary which should be easy. Gary would earn 11 million.

I say extend Gary now or next year. He is solid.

George Cumby
03-19-2022, 10:17 AM
I say extend Gary now or next year. He is solid.

Agree. Before that money gets crazy.

Joemailman
03-19-2022, 11:06 AM
Agree. Before that money gets crazy.

They will likely look to do that, but Gary owns a sports agency. https://www.rahgary.com/sports-agency He will know better than most players what future market values for players will look like.

Bretsky
03-19-2022, 11:53 AM
Fletcher Cox and Cordelle Patterson staying with teams

Joemailman
03-19-2022, 05:11 PM
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

The Packers are re-signing CB Rasul Douglas to a three-year deal, per a source. So two days after trading Davante Adams, they get back one of their biggest playmakers on defense from last season.

Now if they can get Savage back to the way he was playing the second half of 2020, the secondary will be as good as any in the NFL.

bobblehead
03-19-2022, 05:14 PM
Chris Olave would be a nice fit. Smooth route runner. Plenty fast. Football smart. Would be a great fit with Rodgers. He reminds me of a faster Jennings. Similar to Jeudy who I loved coming out. Lets see what Jeudy can do with a QB.

Joemailman
03-19-2022, 05:41 PM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

#Packers have agreed to a one-year deal with TE Robert Tonyan. Includes a voidable year.

Fosco33
03-19-2022, 07:18 PM
Brass has done a fantastic job in last 2mo. Aaron, trade Tae, Campbell, Douglas, tonyan, etc.

Just need MVS and a good draft. And extend Jaire.

Pretty impressive.