PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Joemailman
01-23-2022, 12:11 AM
Could be an offseason like we haven't seen in a while. A lot of decisions to be made.

Packers are 40.5 million over the cap.

Aaron Rodgers - Cap hit of 46.8 million. Packers save 20 million by trading him.

Zadarius Smith - Cap hit of 28.1 million. Packers save 15.7 million by cutting or trading him.

Preston Smith - Cap hit of 19.8 million. Packers save 12.5 million by cutting or trading him.

Billy Turner - Cap hit of 9.2 million. Packers save 3.4 million by cutting or trading him.

Randall Cobb - Cap hit of 9.6 million. Packers save 6.8 million by cutting or trading him.

Dean Lowry - Cap hit 7.9 million. Packers save 3.9 million by cutting or trading him.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Key Unrestricted Free Agents:

Davante Adams
Robert Tonyan
Lucas Patrick
Rasul Douglas
MVS

Upnorth
01-23-2022, 07:09 AM
Turner I hope we keep.
1 of z or Preston I hope we keep. I think z wants more $$$ so p makes more sense and is better against the run. So keep p.
Restructure rodgers. Sign Adams. Sign tonyon. Try for mvs but I don't know.
Trade z lowery cobb.
Get comppicks for Douglas Patrick and prob mvs.

Sparkey
01-23-2022, 07:45 AM
If Rodgers is the GOAT and the goal is home field advantage, then what's the point of keeping Rodgers.

He is not going to get better, which means there is little chance of winning a SB. Time to look for the future.

It might suck for a while, but it is time.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-23-2022, 08:06 AM
So a 3 teams trade, like in the NBA:

Dolphins get: the Great Arm of Butte.

Seafucks get: QB T-Tago, a poor man’s Lil Russell, 2 Dolphins 1st Rd picks.

Packers get: Lil Russell, DK Metcalf, Dolphins 2nd pick.

All 3 mentioned QBs could use fresh starts.

King Friday
01-23-2022, 08:06 AM
We are going to lose a fair amount this off season. I think you can chalk up both Smiths and Cobb as certain casualties because we need the cap space and none of those guys really make sense to restructure due to age.

I think Rodgers and Adams can be retained without much of a hit to the cap by backloading deals. However, that won't leave any cash to sign anyone else. The dud that Rodgers turned in on Saturday certainly didn't help him from a negotiating standpoint. Might it help Green Bay to get him to sign a more team friendly deal? Honestly, that is the only way I would think of keeping Rodgers moving forward if I'm Gute. We've come up woefully short 3 years in a row. The defense seems to be heading in the right direction, but offensively the team is going backwards. We can't pay Rodgers top dollar and also get him more weapons. The ball is entirely in Rodgers' court this off season. Either he takes a team friendly deal, or he gets traded. Rodgers' performance on Saturday doesn't allow him to have much say in the matter. He clearly needs more help, so either he provides room for us to get it, or we move on. No reason to keep repeating the same mistake over and over.

call_me_ishmael
01-23-2022, 09:48 AM
Cobb will be back on a cheap deal if Rodgers is back. No doubt about it.

King Friday
01-23-2022, 09:53 AM

Why? Rodgers barely looked at him yesterday.

Teamcheez1
01-23-2022, 10:43 AM
It will be interesting to see what Rodgers wants to do and where Gute takes this. I’m sure they already have an off-season board drawn up with all of the potential scenarios. The first domino is Rodgers, and then things will take off from there.

ThunderDan
01-23-2022, 10:45 AM
Sounded like ARod is done in his press conference. Doesn’t want to go thru a rebuild. I really don’t see how we aren’t rebuilding next year. If we kick the can down the road a couple of more years we are going to return to the Packers of the 70s.

Trade what is of value, ARod and Adams, use the picks we will get to get new young talent on the roster and hope we are back at the top in 2 to 3 years.

Sparkey
01-23-2022, 10:49 AM
Adams is an ufa, so can't be traded.

It is reasonable to question if it's smart to give a 31 year old wr a large contract.

ThunderDan
01-23-2022, 10:58 AM
Adams is an ufa, so can't be traded.

It is reasonable to question if it's smart to give a 31 year old wr a large contract.

Yes, but you can franchise tag him and trade him.

Freak Out
01-23-2022, 11:05 AM
Good times.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-23-2022, 11:25 AM
Could be an offseason like we haven't seen in a while. A lot of decisions to be made.

Packers are 40.5 million over the cap.

Aaron Rodgers - Cap hit of 46.8 million. Packers save 20 million by trading him.

Zadarius Smith - Cap hit of 28.1 million. Packers save 15.7 million by cutting or trading him.

Preston Smith - Cap hit of 19.8 million. Packers save 12.5 million by cutting or trading him.

Billy Turner - Cap hit of 9.2 million. Packers save 3.4 million by cutting or trading him.

Randall Cobb - Cap hit of 9.6 million. Packers save 6.8 million by cutting or trading him.

Dean Lowry - Cap hit 7.9 million. Packers save 3.9 million by cutting or trading him.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Key Unrestricted Free Agents:

Davante Adams
Robert Tonyan
Lucas Patrick
Rasul Douglas
MVS

Internet, for what it is worth, says 27.2 cap savings if Rodgers traded after June 1st..

Joemailman
01-23-2022, 11:33 AM
Internet, for what it is worth, says 27.2 cap savings if Rodgers traded after June 1st..

That is correct. It would mean a 7.6M cap hit in 2023 though.

kcpackman
01-23-2022, 11:58 AM
So a 3 teams trade, like in the NBA:

Dolphins get: the Great Arm of Butte.

Seafucks get: QB T-Tago, a poor man’s Lil Russell, 2 Dolphins 1st Rd picks.

Packers get: Lil Russell, DK Metcalf, Dolphins 2nd pick.

All 3 mentioned QBs could use fresh starts.

Well - I have wondered during last offseason if the Seahags and Packers should have tried to swap QBs somehow.

bobblehead
01-23-2022, 12:10 PM
Sounded like ARod is done in his press conference. Doesn’t want to go thru a rebuild. I really don’t see how we aren’t rebuilding next year. If we kick the can down the road a couple of more years we are going to return to the Packers of the 70s.

Trade what is of value, ARod and Adams, use the picks we will get to get new young talent on the roster and hope we are back at the top in 2 to 3 years.

I tend to agree with the move on and trade Rodgers. You tag and trade Adams. Honestly, that could net the team 5 first round picks. Yea, we suck next year, but honestly if we can't win with the roster we had this year, its ain't happening. This team was pretty stacked.

Bretsky
01-23-2022, 01:12 PM

I don't want Cobb Back

They have to give Amari Rodgers time to develop into a WR and Cobb blocks that.

Bretsky
01-23-2022, 01:16 PM
I tend to agree with the move on and trade Rodgers. You tag and trade Adams. Honestly, that could net the team 5 first round picks. Yea, we suck next year, but honestly if we can't win with the roster we had this year, its ain't happening. This team was pretty stacked.

We REALLY were stacked; we got an all pro CB and an all pro ILB for next to nothing and still could not capitalize. We are 49er Cursed. The one thing you are I disagree on is weapons on offense.
I get AROD has a horrid game; even a lot of his completions were way off and the receivers made him look good. He hits Aaron Jones on the run, that's a Touchdown in the first half. Just ugly

But between the pass rush, and the WR's and Suckedy sucky Tight Ends we had not getting open on a remotely consistent basis.....well .....none of that helped.

And I'm not making excuses for Rodges; he was poor

But our offense needs more from WR and/or TE then what we are throwing out there. Like you, I like Corey Davis. Appears we drafted the wrong WR in round 3 but time will tell

Bretsky
01-23-2022, 01:18 PM
If we don't think we can win it all (but I'm guessing every year we do) maybe it's time to rebuild. Maybe you suffer through the Love Machine, give him a year or two and kick him to the curb if he sucks. Tex always brings me back down; nobody is her to pound the table for the little jackass today.

red
01-23-2022, 02:25 PM
i just don't see in the numbers hw you can keep rodgers without having to get rid of half the team

if we keep rodgers, then there is no way we can sign adams, and thats the only guy he's willing to throw to

also we would have to get rid of both smiths. they are the only ones with big cap savings. also all the rest of the guys on that list. cobb turner lowrey, they all HAVE to go

even then that just gets us to even, no way we can then re sign any free agents

this was the year, we went all in for this year, it was the last dance.

party over

RashanGary
01-23-2022, 02:32 PM
i just don't see in the numbers hw you can keep rodgers without having to get rid of half the team

if we keep rodgers, then there is no way we can sign adams, and thats the only guy he's willing to throw to

also we would have to get rid of both smiths. they are the only ones with big cap savings. also all the rest of the guys on that list. cobb turner lowrey, they all HAVE to go

even then that just gets us to even, no way we can then re sign any free agents

this was the year, we went all in for this year, it was the last dance.

party over

The cap is projected to go way up in the coming couple years. There are ways to push it forward.

HarveyWallbangers
01-23-2022, 04:52 PM
I don't think you can blame his other weapons in this game. You can't tell me none of the other WRs were not open enough to get only 2 targets. The last pass play alone would prove otherwise. Two other guys were open (Lazard was wide open in the middle of the field and ESB was open deep on the left side for what could have been a TD). Rodgers kyptonite is not trusting other receivers in big playoff moments--even though those guys made clutch plays during the regular season.

Bretsky
01-23-2022, 04:55 PM
it really reminds me of Favre's last pass vs the Giants when he has a RB to hit open crossing the field with a lot of field to run through

Joemailman
01-23-2022, 05:00 PM
it really reminds me of Favre's last pass vs the Giants when he has a RB to hit open crossing the field with a lot of field to run through

Yeah, we were discussing that in the banjo thread. Crazy thing is, he also had ESB having beaten his man deep. Threw to the one guy who was double teamed. https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1485261036404027393

Teamcheez1
01-23-2022, 08:06 PM
I wonder if Rodgers is thinking about retirement as an option. I do remember in his ramblings that he stated at one point he thought about retiring before the start of last season. I would rather he continue with the Packers or we get some draft capital out of a trade. However, if he did retire, we would automatically be under the cap after accounting for the $46M cap reduction.

call_me_ishmael
01-23-2022, 08:09 PM
I just don’t see how he would retire when he will get a new deal with 80-120 M guaranteed. That’s a lot of money for future Rodgers’

red
01-23-2022, 10:44 PM
I wonder if Rodgers is thinking about retirement as an option. I do remember in his ramblings that he stated at one point he thought about retiring before the start of last season. I would rather he continue with the Packers or we get some draft capital out of a trade. However, if he did retire, we would automatically be under the cap after accounting for the $46M cap reduction.

i don't think the cap works that way

no matter if he retires or is traded or is cut, he's still gonna count 26 million against the cap

so we would save 20 million by him retiring

so we would still need to cut a bunch of guys just to get under the cap

red
01-23-2022, 10:49 PM
The cap is projected to go way up in the coming couple years. There are ways to push it forward.

yeah but we are way over right now, and its all our good vet players that are gonna need to be gone to fix it before next season

Thirteen Below
01-23-2022, 11:08 PM
Why? Rodgers barely looked at him yesterday.

Yeah, and what's up with that? Wasn't that one of the hissy fits Rodgers threw, when they let Cobb go without his personal authorization? He only threw one pass at him all night long.

11 passes to Jones, 10 to Adams, 6 to the entire rest of the team combined. 6!!! LaFleur might as well have gone with a 2 tight end set all night and maybe an extra back in the backfield to pick up the blitz so Rodgers would have had more time to stand there in the pocket staring adoringly at Adams and Jones.

call_me_ishmael
01-23-2022, 11:16 PM
Is it crazy to think Tennessee is a great fit for Rodgers? Indy too. Indy might be ARod a way from a title, and you know what else? They're in a dome.

I actually think Indy is probably the most likely team for him to end up on. The dome is why.

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2022, 07:22 AM
Didn’t Indy lose their first round pick in the Wentz deal?

Joemailman
01-24-2022, 07:39 AM

Yes. Indy does not have a 1st round pick.

King Friday
01-24-2022, 08:14 AM
I just don’t see how he would retire when he will get a new deal with 80-120 M guaranteed. That’s a lot of money for future Rodgers’

Most media lugs expect Aikman is going to leave the Fox booth to move to Amazon. Bradshaw is also getting up in years in the studio. Rodgers could easily move into one of those roles and make $10m guaranteed a year for as long as he wanted. Money is NOT an issue for Rodgers in any shape or form.

run pMc
01-24-2022, 08:22 AM
Agree that Rodgers is the first domino and everything else follows from there.

Smiths are gone for cap space.
They'll extend Jaire and get some relief that way, and if Rodgers wants to play for GB they'll extend him. They would be crazy to carry $46M on the cap for him next year.
If Rodgers goes, Adams is gone. If Rodgers stays, who knows.

Cobb is probably gone; maybe they bring him back on a cheap deal but I don't think Gute or MLF really wanted him.

Others are a coin toss, I think Rasul and Devondre are gone in FA for bigger money (which they earned).

They can push it out into future years, but I think Russ Ball is going to be reluctant to do that... they already have that for several players (Kevin King will be on the cap for 2 more years I think) and at some point it's going to take up a big chunk of their space and make for an ugly roster.

[FWIW I'm in favor of keeping Rodgers, and if possible extending him a year. I don't think he'll be mentally or physically capable of a 17+ game season for more than 2 years... he's already hinting at burnout/retirement and his legs clearly aren't what they were. Eventually the arm will go too. MVP-caliber QBs are rare and if you have one you keep them.
I don't think there's enough data on Jordan Love, but I also don't think he's the answer.]

Thirteen Below
01-24-2022, 08:45 AM
Don't we get a compensatory pick for Adams, too, if he signs with someone else? Probably be a pretty decent one, I would think. 3rd, maybe? It all adds up when you're rebuilding.

Joemailman
01-24-2022, 08:55 AM
Don't we get a compensatory pick for Adams, too, if he signs with someone else? Probably be a pretty decent one, I would think. 3rd, maybe? It all adds up when you're rebuilding.

Yes, it would probably be a 3rd round pick in 2023. Question is whether they can do better by franchising Adams and trading him.

call_me_ishmael
01-24-2022, 09:17 AM
Agree that Rodgers is the first domino and everything else follows from there.

Smiths are gone for cap space.
They'll extend Jaire and get some relief that way, and if Rodgers wants to play for GB they'll extend him. They would be crazy to carry $46M on the cap for him next year.
If Rodgers goes, Adams is gone. If Rodgers stays, who knows.

Cobb is probably gone; maybe they bring him back on a cheap deal but I don't think Gute or MLF really wanted him.

Others are a coin toss, I think Rasul and Devondre are gone in FA for bigger money (which they earned).

They can push it out into future years, but I think Russ Ball is going to be reluctant to do that... they already have that for several players (Kevin King will be on the cap for 2 more years I think) and at some point it's going to take up a big chunk of their space and make for an ugly roster.

[FWIW I'm in favor of keeping Rodgers, and if possible extending him a year. I don't think he'll be mentally or physically capable of a 17+ game season for more than 2 years... he's already hinting at burnout/retirement and his legs clearly aren't what they were. Eventually the arm will go too. MVP-caliber QBs are rare and if you have one you keep them.
I don't think there's enough data on Jordan Love, but I also don't think he's the answer.]

The bill always comes due. If I'm the Packers, I plan on paying it off in the first year post Rodgers and totally suck so I'm picking at the top and land BJ Raji and Clay. The question is - is that this year, or is that in a couple years?

call_me_ishmael
01-24-2022, 09:18 AM

Correct, they don't. I think they would take their 2, 3 this year and 1, 2 next year and probably call it good.

Harv I swear I saw 29 was named all-pro by either PFF or AP. Is that not accurate? I can't find any mention of it now so it seems wrong for sure.

Looking at teams that are super bowl ready with an upgrade at QB, Indy and Tenn jump off the page compared to everyone else. Denver is not desireable (new coach, new owner), Cleveland is Cleveland, etc. Pittsburgh doesn't have the offensive talent IMO.

call_me_ishmael
01-24-2022, 09:24 AM
Doctor Z thanking the fans of Instagram in picture with tears in. Implies to me he knows he's gone.

George Cumby
01-24-2022, 12:24 PM
Lots going on here, lots of doom and gloom.

Here's a couple of bright spots in my estimation.

The defense has a solid base of young talent, at every level, that can be built around. Big KC on the line, Gary at edge, Stokes and Alexander on the back end. That's a pretty good frame to build your house on.

The young OL got a shit ton of experience. Providing we get Jenkins back, I think that OL is only going to get better. I don't think Bakh comes back. I think there is something seriously wrong there.

There's obviously tons of concern about the offensive skill positions, and rightfully so, but there are some good pieces in place and Gute sure seems like he knows how to evaluate and draft the horses.

jklowan
01-24-2022, 12:39 PM
Way more serious than anyone here is stating.... 2022 Packers Salary Cap Outlook: Color coded: 🔴-$38.8M: Space as of right now 🟠-$42.7M: Need to clear by March 16th (no trades) 🟡-$53.4M: Space with draft & fill roster with rookies 🔵-$63.3M: Effective space before regular season ⚠️Includes no other signings or extensions https://t.co/sAsCnsKOfG

jklowan
01-24-2022, 12:41 PM
Roster losses as I see it

bye bye Rogers / Smith brothers / Amos and they still will need to restructure some contracts before signing anyone

Bretsky
01-24-2022, 12:49 PM

Wentz played 75% of his snaps so I think they did. GREAT deal for Phily; looks like a bad one for Indy

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2022, 02:50 PM
Roster losses as I see it

bye bye Rogers / Smith brothers / Amos and they still will need to restructure some contracts before signing anyone

It's not that dire if Rodgers is gone. We'll extend some guys (Preston Smith, Amos, Jaire), and lower their cap value in 2022. In 2023 the cap is supposed to go way up.

red
01-24-2022, 04:11 PM
Doctor Z thanking the fans of Instagram in picture with tears in. Implies to me he knows he's gone.

sad

he's the leader of this team

texaspackerbacker
01-24-2022, 06:49 PM
It's not that dire if Rodgers is gone. We'll extend some guys (Preston Smith, Amos, Jaire), and lower their cap value in 2022. In 2023 the cap is supposed to go way up.

You're right, the cap is gonna go way up, and with extensions and stretched out signings, the cap absolutely is not gonna be a problem. Where you are dead wrong, though, is saying it wouldn't be dire without Rodgers. We could get everybody else back, even Davante, and the team would still be in the toilet without Rodgers. After listening to LaFleur's video conference and A.J. Hawk on the Macafee show, I'm fairly optimistic that the dire future without Rodgers ain't gonna happen next year or a good deal longer.

I cussed out a lot of people and unfollowed several in Facebook today over idiotic comments about losing Rodgers, the cap, etc.

There's a LOT of haters and fools out there and in here with regard to the Rodgers situation.

run pMc
01-24-2022, 07:05 PM
the cap absolutely is not gonna be a problem

This is objectively false. Per jklowan's link above(https://twitter.com/KenIngalls/status/1469065749692129286), KenIngalls knows his stuff and posts on the cap all the time. This will be a very different team in a few weeks.
They have already re-done a lot of their contracts and there's not a lot more money they can push out into the future. Rodgers contract is the linchpin for everything going forward.

I do agree the team will struggle mightily without Rodgers (or another competent starter-worthy QB).

texaspackerbacker
01-24-2022, 07:13 PM
"This will be a very different team in a few weeks." ...... The more things change, the more they stay the same. Some of ya'all doom and gloomers seem to be just begging to see the Packers go down the drain. That might be understandable for media assholes with no loyalty to the Packers. It's a damn shame, though, when supposedly Packer-loving people think and post that way.

We'll see just how much of this stupid negativity actually happens.

King Friday
01-24-2022, 09:01 PM
"This will be a very different team in a few weeks." ...... The more things change, the more they stay the same. Some of ya'all doom and gloomers seem to be just begging to see the Packers go down the drain. That might be understandable for media assholes with no loyalty to the Packers. It's a damn shame, though, when supposedly Packer-loving people think and post that way.

We'll see just how much of this stupid negativity actually happens.

Tex is already starting to backtrack.

First, it was his viewpoint that the cap wasn't even going to be a problem.

After a slight recalibration, he has moved to a let's wait-and-see approach.

It's not about people's negativity Tex. It's about simple math. We can't possibly keep everyone. The more elite players we resign, we will have to give up a couple others. The salary cap is designed to redistribute talent, and it is effective in doing so unless you are the Jets.

King Friday
01-24-2022, 09:05 PM
sad

he's the leader of this team

Maybe, but he also played about 15 snaps this season. I think we can get along without him.

George Cumby
01-25-2022, 12:34 PM
I cussed out a lot of people and unfollowed several in Facebook today over idiotic comments about losing Rodgers, the cap, etc.

Here I was being a Negative Nancy and thinking you were utterly irredeemable and then you go make some stranger's lives BETTER by unfollowing them on Fakebook. There IS good in you after all!

texaspackerbacker
01-25-2022, 01:54 PM
Here I was being a Negative Nancy and thinking you were utterly irredeemable and then you go make some stranger's lives BETTER by unfollowing them on Fakebook. There IS good in you after all!

Actually it was organizations, not people - several of these Packer commentary groups that sprouted up in there. And how would unfollowing make anybody's life better or worse? Correct me if I'm wrong, but somebody doesn't even know who or how many are or are not following them.

George Cumby
01-25-2022, 01:56 PM
Nm.

hoosier
01-25-2022, 01:59 PM
https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000087109121-lvbe3t-t500x500.jpg

Thirteen Below
01-25-2022, 02:01 PM
Actually it was organizations, not people - several of these Packer commentary groups that sprouted up in there. And how would unfollowing make anybody's life better or worse? Correct me if I'm wrong, but somebody doesn't even know who or how many are or are not following them.

Well, except that they sometimes see fewer stupid replies to their posts. Depending on who it is that unfollowed them.

I'm just saying, in general...

texaspackerbacker
01-25-2022, 02:01 PM
Tex is already starting to backtrack.

First, it was his viewpoint that the cap wasn't even going to be a problem.

After a slight recalibration, he has moved to a let's wait-and-see approach.

It's not about people's negativity Tex. It's about simple math. We can't possibly keep everyone. The more elite players we resign, we will have to give up a couple others. The salary cap is designed to redistribute talent, and it is effective in doing so unless you are the Jets.

How exactly do you see me as backtracking? I'm just as damn sure certain as ever about the cap. I just said let's wait and see to those of ya'all who disagree and appear to be just as certain in your negative position. I may repeat things a few times, but there's a limit. I'm not gonna correct every wrongheaded post that comes along.

As for the math, it's amazing that there are a lot of people in here and even in the media who just don't seem to have a clue of how the salary cap works and how stupid it is to claim our cap situation and ability to retain just about everybody is somehow hopeless. You don't hear LaFleur saying dumb shit like that, fortunately.

call_me_ishmael
01-25-2022, 02:07 PM
Good short segment from Ian Rapoport giving his (presumably insider) perspective.

https://twitter.com/HoggNFL/status/1486036717815615490

Thirteen Below
01-25-2022, 02:10 PM
As for the math, it's amazing that there are a lot of people in here and even in the media who just don't seem to have a clue of how the salary cap works and how stupid it is to claim our cap situation and ability to retain just about everybody is somehow hopeless. You don't hear LaFleur saying dumb shit like that, fortunately.

Probably because it's not his area, and the professional thing to do is not publically speculate on how the GM is managing (or may manage) the cap. Or even make offhand remarks to the press that may lead to them asking him direct questions about the cap, which might be awkward for him to brush away.

The cap technically has nothing to do with his job - his job is to have input on personnel, and then to make the best team he can out of the players management chooses to or is able to provide him. Not to talk to the press about which players the team can afford.

I guarantee you that he's very much aware of the cap and what it will mean to his area of responsibility, and of course Gutekunst discusses it with him privately even if for no other reason that to keep him informed of what is going on, but those are private conversations, and he's not going to discuss them outside of Gutekunst's office.

King Friday
01-25-2022, 02:18 PM
I don't think anyone suggested it's hopeless. Most are just suggesting that Green Bay is going to lose some people, and probably at least 2 or 3 that were serious contributors in 2022. It can either be Rodgers and Adams, or it will be Preston Smith, MVS, Campbell, Cobb, Douglas, etc.

texaspackerbacker
01-25-2022, 02:30 PM
Probably because it's not his area, and the professional thing to do is not publically speculate on how the GM is managing (or may manage) the cap. Or even make offhand remarks to the press that may lead to them asking him direct questions about the cap, which might be awkward for him to brush away.

The cap technically has nothing to do with his job - his job is to have input on personnel, and then to make the best team he can out of the players management chooses to or is able to provide him. Not to talk to the press about which players the team can afford.

I guarantee you that he's very much aware of the cap and what it will mean to his area of responsibility, and of course Gutekunst discusses it with him privately even if for no other reason that to keep him informed of what is going on, but those are private conversations, and he's not going to discuss them outside of Gutekunst's office.

Arguably, EVERYTHING about the Packers is LaFleur's "area". Even ya'all haters and negativists wouldn't claim that LaFleur doesn't have a complete awareness of the cap - how it works and the Packers situation in it. And he is not displaying one iota of negativity or spewing any of the crap that ya'all in here and the media spew.

Friday, of your two choices, the latter indeed would mean going down the drain for the foreseeable future, and the former - keeping Rodgers and Adams and losing the rest of those - would be a distinct step downward and a de facto rebuild like Rodgers said he doesn't want to be part of, and LaFleur says isn't gonna happen. That, and you seem to be again doubling down on this nonsense about the cap and inability to retain all of them.

run pMc
01-25-2022, 02:47 PM
Arguably, EVERYTHING about the Packers is LaFleur's "area".

I'd argue NOT everything about the Packers is his area. He's the head coach. He has no input over the Titletown district, the recent stock sale, marketing, or what happens on multiple floors in the building.

Also: saying the Packers have a dire cap situation is not negativity, it's reality. I hope they find a way out of cap hell without being a terrible team -- how's that for being positive? ;)

texaspackerbacker
01-25-2022, 03:02 PM
Seems like you're kinda grasping at straws there hahahaha. Even on those things, to the extent that they bring money to the team, I would think he is involved, though. Things don't happen in a vacuum. As you know (or should), paying big bonuses is a key to working the salary cap, and having a lot of money available (as maybe some teams do not) is what makes that possible.

I'll give you credit for positive hoping hahaha, but you gotta believe in what you hope for - or it's all negativity. A lot of teams in the present and even more so, a lot of teams in the past have been characterized as having a "dire" cap situation, and in almost every case (probably some truth squadders will dig up one or two exceptions), virtually nothing bad happens. I've explained over and over and over how it works, and it's gonna work out favorably in this case - just wait and see - another post Bretsky can save and use against me if I'm wrong hahahaha.

Joemailman
01-25-2022, 03:36 PM
The Green Bay Packers signed QB Kurt Benkert, WR Chris Blair, CB Kabion Ento (kay-be-on N-toe), QB Danny Etling, S Innis Gaines, LB La'Darius Hamilton, C Michal Menet (Michael MEN-et), K JJ Molson, T/G Cole Van Lanen and LB Ray Wilborn. General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transactions Tuesday.

All of the players spent time on the Packers' practice squad this season..

kcpackman
01-25-2022, 06:04 PM
You're right, the cap is gonna go way up, and with extensions and stretched out signings, the cap absolutely is not gonna be a problem. Where you are dead wrong, though, is saying it wouldn't be dire without Rodgers. We could get everybody else back, even Davante, and the team would still be in the toilet without Rodgers. After listening to LaFleur's video conference and A.J. Hawk on the Macafee show, I'm fairly optimistic that the dire future without Rodgers ain't gonna happen next year or a good deal longer.

There's a LOT of haters and fools out there and in here with regard to the Rodgers situation.

Assuming Adams comes back as well as Lazard and MVS, and if Love starts - would the Packers have a 14-3 record, no. What I dont get is how anyone can say how Love is a bust and wont develop into a good starting QB, based off of the 1 starts he has had. Love will run MLFs offense (the one run his first 2 years as HC) - which is QB friendly. No one has a clue if Love is a bust or not at this point. Because someone disagrees with your viewpoint on Rodgers does not make the a hater and fool - just someone that has a different opinion.

George Cumby
01-25-2022, 06:18 PM
Something I wonder about is what happens to Love's headspace if Rodgers isn't in the room. Even if Rodgers is cool with him, which I question, that's got to be tough for the kid.

kcpackman
01-25-2022, 07:04 PM
Something I wonder about is what happens to Love's headspace if Rodgers isn't in the room. Even if Rodgers is cool with him, which I question, that's got to be tough for the kid.

Yeah - sometimes I forget at 23/24 y/o these guys are kids and things affect them differently that an old fart like me.

Bretsky
01-25-2022, 07:20 PM
COBB really needs to go though

Deep down, over 17 game season I thought he might pickup about 500 yards and 50 catches given he was AROD's Manlove and I hope he had something left.

Amari Rodgers may be our typical good for shit 3rd round bust. We need to find out

texaspackerbacker
01-25-2022, 08:03 PM
Try 4-13 with Love and most of the rest of the current team. And it isn't just because Love kinda bombed out. Literally any other QB we might have would likely throw at least three times the interceptions of Rodgers. Put this past season into a context of that - a QB throwing 12-15 picks if not more. How many more losses would we have had? A lot, I would guess. That IMO would be the high water mark of a future without Rodgers, probably a lot worse.

Bretsky
01-25-2022, 08:06 PM
Try 4-13 with Love and most of the rest of the current team. And it isn't just because Love kinda bombed out. Literally any other QB we might have would likely throw at least three times the interceptions of Rodgers. Put this past season into a context of that - a QB throwing 12-15 picks if not more. How many more losses would we have had? A lot, I would guess. That IMO would be the high water mark of a future without Rodgers, probably a lot worse.

GB's defense is still good; I would be betting 7-10 with Love

call_me_ishmael
01-25-2022, 08:36 PM
GB's defense is still good; I would be betting 7-10 with Love

Generous. 4-13 IMO. Rodgers was better, on an equally good team and only won 6.

Joemailman
01-25-2022, 09:46 PM
Really? You guys think when the Packers no longer have Rodgers they're going to turn into the Jets? If the Packers lose Rodgers but retain Adams, they remain the favorite in the NFCN. Just not the overwhelming favorite they would be with Rodgers.

RashanGary
01-25-2022, 09:50 PM
I agree more with CMIs logic. The Packers were 13-3 with Favre in 2007 and then 6-10 with the green Rodgers. Rodgers is playing better now than Favre did in 2007 and odds are Love is worse than Rodgers in 2008. 4 wins sounds more likely than 8. But that might be a good thing. We could luck into a good QB in the draft and the Rodgers transition would be almost seamless.

Joemailman
01-25-2022, 10:04 PM
I agree more with CMIs logic. The Packers were 13-3 with Favre in 2007 and then 6-10 with the green Rodgers. Rodgers is playing better now than Favre did in 2007 and odds are Love is worse than Rodgers in 2008. 4 wins sounds more likely than 8. But that might be a good thing. We could luck into a good QB in the draft and the Rodgers transition would be almost seamless.

The Packers went from 13 wins in 2007 to 6 in 2008 because their defense went from 6th in points given up to 22nd. It didn't have anything to do with the QB situation. The Saints this year went 9-8 with mediocre (at best) QB play because they had a good defense. If the Packers retain Adams and their defense remains strong the Packers will be fine without Rodgers. Just not 13-4 fine.

Thirteen Below
01-26-2022, 01:35 AM
The Packers went from 13 wins in 2007 to 6 in 2008 because their defense went from 6th in points given up to 22nd. It didn't have anything to do with the QB situation. The Saints this year went 9-8 with mediocre (at best) QB play because they had a good defense. If the Packers retain Adams and their defense remains strong the Packers will be fine without Rodgers. Just not 13-4 fine.

Yeah, I think that citing the dropoff from Favre's last year to Rodgers' first year is kind of a stretch. The personnel were completely different, it was McCarthy not LaFleur, the competition in the NFC North is completely different (except for the Lions)... there are just way too many variables. I'll be honest, so far I haven't seen a damned thing from Love that impresses me, but with three years of training camps and NFL offseason programs, a couple of live games' experience to show the coaches what his strengths and weaknsesses are, and an entire offseason for LaFleur to install a system suited to... well... whatever the hell he's good at, plus the traditional weakness of the Norris Division, I don't think a .500 season is out of the question. Mediocre, yeah, but not disastrous. We're goinna have to expect a couple-few bad years at some point very soon anyway; does it really matter that much whether it starts in 2022, or 2023/24?

Bretsky
01-26-2022, 06:15 AM
Really? You guys think when the Packers no longer have Rodgers they're going to turn into the Jets? If the Packers lose Rodgers but retain Adams, they remain the favorite in the NFCN. Just not the overwhelming favorite they would be with Rodgers.

I seem to have more confidence in Love that some in here (to my surprise) but I'm taking your Kool Aide outside and freezing it. I would not consider us the favorites with Love

Upnorth
01-26-2022, 06:26 AM

Favorites? Year 1 we struggle to make .500 and if its Next Year my money would be on vikes to win.
Then we play 9-8 to 10-7 ish and fight with detroit, assuming love is a top 1/3 rd qb. We have a decent d, but still need to put up points.
If love is top 1/3rd qb we remain competitive and will see flashes of brilliance over the next decade, but might be like the Giants (at best) or dolphins (at worst) from the last 15 years.

Teamcheez1
01-26-2022, 07:03 AM
I wonder if there is an option to keep Rodgers, but tag and trade Adams? It could set Rodgers off on a tirade, but it would net us some high draft picks and cap relief. It’s probably not realistic, but just a thought.

Bretsky
01-26-2022, 09:04 AM
I wonder if there is an option to keep Rodgers, but tag and trade Adams? It could set Rodgers off on a tirade, but it would net us some high draft picks and cap relief. It’s probably not realistic, but just a thought.

Don't think they'd do that unless they want an explosion between AROD and Gutebag. IF you are trying to win the big show next year I don't know if you do that.

Rodgers would drop back to pass and be completely confused w/o his only WR :)))

Sparkey
01-26-2022, 10:01 AM
Don't think they'd do that unless they want an explosion between AROD and Gutebag. IF you are trying to win the big show next year I don't know if you do that.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/aaron-rodgers-stats-without-davante-adams

Aaron Rodgers has a passer rating of 112.7 with 2,795 yards, 24 touchdowns and 3 interceptions in 11 games without Davante Adams in his career.

Joemailman
01-26-2022, 10:21 AM

Yep. Over the last 3 years he has looked so confused in those 7 games he hasn't had Adams. Those 7 games where the Packers went 7-0. Those 7 games where he's had a passer rating of 119.74. Those 7 games where he's had 19 TD passes and 1 INT. Those 7 games where the Packers have averaged 31.7 points.

Because Adams is so great, it's hard to come to the conclusion that the Packers would be better off without him. But it is not hard to come to the conclusion that Rodgers does a great job of adjusting when he doesn't have Adams. And it's not hard to imagine that he relishes the challenge.

run pMc
01-26-2022, 11:16 AM
I think Rodgers and Adams are a package deal. One doesn't play for GB without the other next year.

I think MLF gets to run the offense he wants with Jordan Love as starting QB vs. the one he has to with Rodgers. I also think they already know what they have in Jordan Love and will likely move on from him by the end of his contract. If he's 4-13 awful they will be in a Top 5 spot to draft a QB. Personally I think he's 6-win material, not 4, but 6 wins pushes you down the draft board enough where you are in purgatory and have to trade up and/or get lucky.

The NFCN is a mess next year; without Rodgers the Vikings or Lions might actually win the division with a 9 win season. GB's defense wasn't bad this year but the offense carried the team and they won't be able to do that without Rodgers and Adams.

Freak Out
01-26-2022, 11:45 AM
I think Rodgers and Adams are a package deal. One doesn't play for GB without the other next year.

I think MLF gets to run the offense he wants with Jordan Love as starting QB vs. the one he has to with Rodgers. I also think they already know what they have in Jordan Love and will likely move on from him by the end of his contract. If he's 4-13 awful they will be in a Top 5 spot to draft a QB. Personally I think he's 6-win material, not 4, but 6 wins pushes you down the draft board enough where you are in purgatory and have to trade up and/or get lucky.

The NFCN is a mess next year; without Rodgers the Vikings or Lions might actually win the division with a 9 win season. GB's defense wasn't bad this year but the offense carried the team and they won't be able to do that without Rodgers and Adams.

Maybe. If the defense is solid and Jones and AJ stay healthy they could play decent ball.

call_me_ishmael
01-26-2022, 12:09 PM

I think they'd struggle in year one, and probably be better hence forth. I am assuming the toss-up games they win now they would lose. Who knows if valid assumption or not. I assume they take 3rd in the division next year with Love because he'd probably be the 3rd best QB at best in the division.

Thirteen Below
01-26-2022, 12:55 PM

I was looking at the draft positions of some of the good young QBs earlier today, and I was surprised at how many of them were not top-5 picks. Justin Herbert was #6, Lamar Jackson #32, Jalen Hurts was #53 in the 2nd round, Josh Allen was #7, Mac Jones was #15, Justin Fields looks like the real deal if they bring him along right, and he was #11, and even Pat Mahomes was #10. I think teams are getting so good at scouting these days that it's a lot harder to find a really good one still available once you get out of the 1st round, but it's still doable even if you're not Top 5. I think it depends a lot on the year - there are some years where several teams drafting high don't need a QB as badly, and a guy can slip, but more often than not if you're a 4- or 5-win team you're not getting elite quarterback play.

But that's part of the "luck" that you were referring to, and yeah, that is a good point. Safest bet is still to be drafting Top 3-5. And I think you've got a very good point, that in the NFC North Love is probably just good enough to push us out of the elite-QB range, but not good enough to be the answer. I don't think I've seen a single thing from him yet that actually impressed me. There are times when he really doesn't look all that bad, but if that's the best thing you can say about your quarterback prospect, you're probably going to be looking to draft another one as soon as possible.

Sparkey
01-26-2022, 01:22 PM
What makes it hard to evaluate Love is that even the game he started, the game plan was made for Rodgers. I believe it was Wednesday when they found that Rodgers would miss the game. At that point the game plan was already being implemented.

So until Love has a few games where everything is prepared based on what he likes and is capable of doing, there really isn't much to go on. I still think he can be a good qb, but he needs a chance to play, fail and learn. If they don't do that they will never know what they have.

Bretsky
01-26-2022, 02:33 PM
I think with the Love Machine you will see a lot more QB movement

RANDOM THOUGHT; I really have a distaste for players when they make comments that they want to be the highest paid person at their position (I know I'm being nitpicky)

I do think AROD and Adams come as a package. And they BOTH need each other.

AROD needs Adams to have a shot to win it all, and Adams needs Rodgers for a while to get his HOF numbers in line.

Stick your financial ego's up your ass and let's make this work.

SAVE SOME MONEY AND HIRE RIZZO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joemailman
01-26-2022, 02:59 PM
I think with the Love Machine you will see a lot more QB movement

RANDOM THOUGHT; I really have a distaste for players when they make comments that they want to be the highest paid person at their position (I know I'm being nitpicky)

I do think AROD and Adams come as a package. And they BOTH need each other.

AROD needs Adams to have a shot to win it all, and Adams needs Rodgers for a while to get his HOF numbers in line.

Stick your financial ego's up your ass and let's make this work.

SAVE SOME MONEY AND HIRE RIZZO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree that Rodgers and Adams need each other. Rodgers has proved he can run the offense very effectively without Adams. Adams is good enough that he makes any QB better. I think he would be elite with any reasonably good QB.

I believe Rizzi is still under contract with the Saints.

call_me_ishmael
01-26-2022, 03:48 PM
Man I gotta say, Adams is obviously great, and he's not the #2 I used to claim he is, he is a bonafide #1, but I really don't think he is the best receiver in the league or even close. He is an elite route runner - maybe the best - but I just don't think he is an elite or HOF type player. He catches a lot of balls but I don't think he dictates a teams game all the time. When Baltimore doubled him to shut him down, they did just that and were effective at it. He isn't a "game wrecker" like say Aaron Donald or Randy Moss or something.

I guess I just don't see it. Very good receiver, maybe top 5, but probably not top 3.

Bretsky
01-26-2022, 04:29 PM
Man I gotta say, Adams is obviously great, and he's not the #2 I used to claim he is, he is a bonafide #1, but I really don't think he is the best receiver in the league or even close. He is an elite route runner - maybe the best - but I just don't think he is an elite or HOF type player. He catches a lot of balls but I don't think he dictates a teams game all the time. When Baltimore doubled him to shut him down, they did just that and were effective at it. He isn't a "game wrecker" like say Aaron Donald or Randy Moss or something.

I guess I just don't see it. Very good receiver, maybe top 5, but probably not top 3.

WELL WHO IS BETTER; here is a list of maybe some of the tops

Cooper Kopp
Tryrek Hill
DeAndre Hopkins
Justin Jefferson
Jamar Chase
Deebo Samueal (maybe/maybe not but I think he belongs mention as all around player)
AJ Brown
Stephan Diggs

Production wise only Kopp had a better year I think

RashanGary
01-26-2022, 04:41 PM
Davante is top 5, maybe #1. It’s splitting hairs with those best guys. They’re all good. If Davante stays with Rodgers and has some longevity, he could make a case for HOF.

But receivers have a hard time getting in. I still think it’s less likely. I’d still like to see him pass Driver and Hutson for yards and touchdowns as a Packer.

Julio Jones is a HOFer. He did it for a lot of years.

call_me_ishmael
01-26-2022, 09:23 PM
WELL WHO IS BETTER; here is a list of maybe some of the tops

Cooper Kopp
Tryrek Hill
DeAndre Hopkins
Justin Jefferson
Jamar Chase
Deebo Samueal (maybe/maybe not but I think he belongs mention as all around player)
AJ Brown
Stephan Diggs

Production wise only Kopp had a better year I think

Yeah this is hard to argue with, good point. Tyreek is certainly super dangerous. Hopkins is probably a little better though injury prone. Chase is more talented than everyone up there. The rest are good players similar to Adams.

I guess there isn't a clear super star freak type receiver right now like Calvin or Julio or Randy or TO that is physically a mismatch.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-27-2022, 08:25 AM
I guess there isn't a clear super star freak type receiver right now like Calvin or Julio or Randy or TO that is physically a mismatch.

DK Metcalf.

texaspackerbacker
01-27-2022, 09:34 AM
Are any of those from other teams mentioned free agents? Not that I'd advocated spending what it would take to get them even if they were.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-27-2022, 10:01 AM
Are any of those from other teams mentioned free agents? Not that I'd advocated spending what it would take to get them even if they were.

OBJ might be available. Dude was the missing piece but Ball and Murphy lowballed him. Now we get to watch OBJ win the Bowl.

texaspackerbacker
01-27-2022, 10:05 AM
I didn't see OBJ on the list above hahahaha. I didn't want him in mid-season, and I don't think he'd be much of a step up now from what we have - not even close to the star quality guys mentioned from other teams.

George Cumby
01-27-2022, 10:26 AM
I heard that MLF is sniffing around Mariota.

Anyone else see or hear that?

Freak Out
01-27-2022, 10:42 AM
Not I.

Upnorth
01-27-2022, 11:12 AM
I heard that MLF is sniffing around Mariota.

Anyone else see or hear that?

He is the right style of qb for his o. But he needs help from his receivers.

call_me_ishmael
01-27-2022, 11:18 AM
The thing that I keep coming back to when I see people saying they can build a great D and get by with a middle of the road quarterback with the system.

That's good and nice and all but recent history shows us that's not true. The two other teams having lots of success with this offensive system and great defensive's bailed on their middle-of-the-road QBs to try to land a superstar.

Bretsky
01-27-2022, 11:23 AM
Bills had the top D ppg in the NFL and got shredded in AFC Game. Bengals and Chiefs and Rams all have stud QB's. Jimmy not so much IMO

George Cumby
01-27-2022, 11:37 AM
Nuts and bolts question:

When can trades take place? Is it open season or coincide with the FA period?

Joemailman
01-27-2022, 12:46 PM
Nuts and bolts question:

When can trades take place? Is it open season or coincide with the FA period?

I would think trades can start with 1st day of new league year and start of free agency which is March 16. Teams can apply franchise tag on players Feb 22. Deadline for applying franchise tag is March 8.

George Cumby
01-27-2022, 03:42 PM
Thanks, Joe

Fritz
01-27-2022, 04:12 PM
So all the Rats who wanted the Pack to "cook the cap" to gather as much talent as possible . . . that was this season.

No Super Bowl. Hell, no NFC Championship Game.

And now, cap hell to pay. Even if the cap goes up, it goes up for all, and the Pack is still behind the eight ball.

So you have to admit that Gutes tried it, and it didn't work.

George Cumby
01-27-2022, 04:15 PM
So all the Rats who wanted the Pack to "cook the cap" to gather as much talent as possible . . . that was this season.

And now, cap hell to pay. Even if the cap goes up, it goes up for all, and the Pack is still behind the eight ball.

And the thing of it is, the pieces were falling into place: the team had battled through serious adversity, were getting lots of good players back just in time for the big games, even the future match-up, the Rams was to their advantage and they choked it away.

Disappointing.

texaspackerbacker
01-27-2022, 04:31 PM

No, that's every season. You just keep kicking the can down the road or whatever that old expression is. You never arrive at the point where the major cap hits take place. Cut if the guy isn't performing; Extend if he still is.

It's amazing how some people just can't comprehend this. It's not like you need to be a CPA - although maybe that helps hahahaha.

NewsBruin
01-27-2022, 05:03 PM
If you cut or trade someone, you have to count the rest of their signing bonus against the cap (or half-and-half it over the next season).

HowardRoark
01-27-2022, 05:18 PM
No, that's every season. You just keep kicking the can down the road or whatever that old expression is. You never arrive at the point where the major cap hits take place. Cut if the guy isn't performing; Extend if he still is.

It's amazing how some people just can't comprehend this. It's not like you need to be a CPA - although maybe that helps hahahaha.

Modern Monetary Theory at work on the 3rd floor in GB……

run pMc
01-27-2022, 05:47 PM

While you're not completely wrong here, some years that can is more like a barrel full of water and kicking it will hurt your foot; you gotta drain it first. The FO rolled something like $50M in cap charges into future years, that isn't going away. They'd need to roll even more and basically hamstring the long-term future of the team. Imagine having a $270M cap with $80M+ in dead cap space. There's no way you could compete with other teams.

The other issue is - what do you do if a large number of your team's starters have performed, and their contracts are up? The NFL designed the salary cap and FA such that you can't keep everyone. There is no incentive for Rasul or Devondre or Davante to take a hometown discount when they likely won't have a better opportunity to cash in big on the market. With their cap situation, if rumors of Rodgers wanting to be the highest paid player are true you don't even have a leg to kick with.

All of that said, Gute and MLF aren't stupid; Rodgers at QB gives them a better chance to win than Jordan Love does, and if this team goes in the toilet their heads will end up on the chopping block within 3 years. Also, Pete Dougherty (JSO) pointed out that Murphy has mandatory retirement at age 70 in a couple of years -- he won't want to go out on a bad note.

I honestly have no idea what will happen (nobody does except possibly Rodgers) and I'm not sure I've come to a opinion on it. If they keep him, they will have poor depth/supporting cast/cap situation; if they don't, they will be at least retooling if not rebuilding but have cap flexibility.

red
01-27-2022, 07:05 PM
my attempt at getting under the cap

3 guys get released (savings)
z smith 15.3 million
cobb 6.86 million
lowry 4.1 million

theres 26.2 million in savings

restructures

multiple guys have roster bonuses coming up that can easily be converted to signing bonuses for the remainders of their contracts. and or large salaries this season that can be converted

bakh 6.4 in savings this year

p smith 5.6 in savings (big cap hit in 2023)

kenny clark 9 million in savings

that gets us 6 million under the cap. a rodgers extension could save us 5 to 10 million more

getting rid of guys like lewis and crosby could save you a few more million

so with this. we keep the core of the team, plus rodgers and can maybe sign 1 or 2 of our free agents. i don't see us being able to afford adams in this situation

Rastak
01-27-2022, 07:33 PM
While you're not completely wrong here, some years that can is more like a barrel full of water and kicking it will hurt your foot; you gotta drain it first. The FO rolled something like $50M in cap charges into future years, that isn't going away. They'd need to roll even more and basically hamstring the long-term future of the team. Imagine having a $270M cap with $80M+ in dead cap space. There's no way you could compete with other teams.

The other issue is - what do you do if a large number of your team's starters have performed, and their contracts are up? The NFL designed the salary cap and FA such that you can't keep everyone. There is no incentive for Rasul or Devondre or Davante to take a hometown discount when they likely won't have a better opportunity to cash in big on the market. With their cap situation, if rumors of Rodgers wanting to be the highest paid player are true you don't even have a leg to kick with.

All of that said, Gute and MLF aren't stupid; Rodgers at QB gives them a better chance to win than Jordan Love does, and if this team goes in the toilet their heads will end up on the chopping block within 3 years. Also, Pete Dougherty (JSO) pointed out that Murphy has mandatory retirement at age 70 in a couple of years -- he won't want to go out on a bad note.

I honestly have no idea what will happen (nobody does except possibly Rodgers) and I'm not sure I've come to a opinion on it. If they keep him, they will have poor depth/supporting cast/cap situation; if they don't, they will be at least retooling if not rebuilding but have cap flexibility.

Interesting post and makes a guy think. I don't have a horse in this race but it's certainly an interesting storyline to watch.

Fritz
01-27-2022, 09:06 PM
And the thing of it is, the pieces were falling into place: the team had battled through serious adversity, were getting lots of good players back just in time for the big games, even the future match-up, the Rams was to their advantage and they choked it away.

Disappointing.

That's it, really. That's exactly it.

Rutnstrut
01-28-2022, 12:02 AM

If this was Gute's version of all in, it was pretty pathetic.

bobblehead
01-28-2022, 07:21 AM

Except teams like the 49ers have NOT kicked it down the road....so they have a serious advantage in the here and now. TB was another team that hadn't kicked it down the road when they signed Tom. The Rams have sold out all their draft capital to get to the NFCC. Not sure about their cap, but the Goff contract was an albatross and they ditched it. But if they don't win now, they won't be drafting much talent in the next few years.

bobblehead
01-28-2022, 07:28 AM

z smith 15.3 million
cobb 6.86 million
lowry 4.1 million

restructures

multiple guys have roster bonuses coming up that can easily be converted to signing bonuses for the remainders of their contracts. and or large salaries this season that can be converted

that gets us 6 million under the cap. a rodgers extension could save us 5 to 10 million more

so with this. we keep the core of the team, plus rodgers and can maybe sign 1 or 2 of our free agents. i don't see us being able to afford adams in this situation

But if they don't bring back Adams I have to believe Rodgers throws a tantrum. Which means you must bring back Adams to make it work. It can be done. Like I said, they can be pretty good, but they will be less talented than this year. No 2 ways about it. If Rodgers doesn't want to be part of a rebuild he should consider taking less money to help fix the cap. If he wants to make $40 milliion a year and have a loaded roster he needs to go ahead and ask for that trade to denver.

Teamcheez1
01-28-2022, 09:48 AM
I’m surprised that we are 6 days removed from the special teams debacle and Drayton is still on the payroll. What in the world are we waiting for???

Joemailman
01-28-2022, 10:28 AM
I’m surprised that we are 6 days removed from the special teams debacle and Drayton is still on the payroll. What in the world are we waiting for???

They're trying to work out an extension.

George Cumby
01-28-2022, 11:35 AM
They're trying to work out an extension.

That's not a nice thing to say.

texaspackerbacker
01-28-2022, 12:32 PM

z smith 15.3 million
cobb 6.86 million
lowry 4.1 million

restructures

A rare bit of good sense from you, red.

I think we might keep Cobb - cut him and bring him back at $2-3 million or less, as I doubt there would be much demand for him from other teams.

An Adams contract wouldn't need to hit the cap too hard even if it made him the highest paid WR. Campbell and Douglas also could be re-signed for fairly big/competitive contracts - not hometown discounts or whatever - by similarly structuring the contract to avoid a major cap hit.

run pMc, true about it getting progressively harder to beat the cap, but with inevitable increases and inevitable players getting cut as needed (think Z. Smith), it can be done. As much as I hate the idea of rebuilding like the loser franchises do, it might have to be done when the Rodgers years come to an end, but I'm fairly sure that won't be for a lot longer than many seem to think (think Brady age retirement).

Teamcheez1
01-28-2022, 12:57 PM
You’re suggesting that Rodgers will play another 5-6 years? Not for this team, nor do I think he will last that long.

George Cumby
01-28-2022, 12:59 PM
^ Correct. He ain't no spring chicken. The wheels could fall off at any moment.

Also: what's the point of dumping any money into any other receivers if his high holy-rollerness only has eyes for Adams?

I think we're best served keeping one or the other but not both.

Joemailman
01-28-2022, 01:04 PM
Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
Bears coach Matt Eberflus will interview coaches this weekend. Chicago will be open-minded. But a name to watch—Packers pass-game coordinator Luke Getsy. There's a relationship there, and Eberflus could offer Getsy play-calling, which he won't get in GB.

Getsy's been in demand.

Think Matt La Fleur's been having fun the last week?

call_me_ishmael
01-28-2022, 01:27 PM
Think Matt La Fleur's been having fun the last week?

I just saw that the job is his if he wants on Twitter for Spoon. Well. Fuck!

Welp, looks like we're losing *at least one of 'em* between Getsy and Steno. I guess you keep Steno in this case because he gets the same job op in Denver or GB.

I am not principled or convinced of any of this, but every day it looks more like they're gonna blow it all up and go to JLo.

Joemailman
01-28-2022, 02:16 PM
There is a serious possibility here that LaFleur could, in the addition to Hackett, lose Getsy and Stenavich. If that happens, I don't doubt his ability to put together another good offensive staff. If it happens, I'd be a little concerned if I were McVay and Shanahan. Packers might be raiding them.

Matt LaFleur in the offensive coaches meeting room next week.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/g01ZnwAUvutuK8GIQn/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47a6gnbozr567kt6ldzett6vkzh5ig lggxwg8dutwh&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

orpackfan
01-28-2022, 02:29 PM
I am not sure it is worth signing Rodgers. No team has won a superbowl with a QB eating up more than 13% of the cap. However, they restructure arod - he will get more than that. We need either a very good/great young QB on rookie contract or a vet who will take less pay (good luck with that). Spending 18-20%, or more of you cap on the QB leaves too many holes in the roster. Over the past 15 years the average cap % of the SB champ has been 8%

Joemailman
01-28-2022, 02:42 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
The #Packers interviewed #Chargers TEs coach Kevin Koger and are expected to interview #Eagles QB coach Brian Johnson for their vacant OC job, sources say. Luke Getsy and Adam Stenavich are the top in-house candidates.

MLF prepared for the possibility that Stenavich and Getsy will leave?

Koger was an offensive quality control assistant under LaFleur during the 2019 and 2020 seasons before taking the job as the tight ends coach with the Chargers in 2021. He has never been a coordinator.

Johnson, a former quarterback at Utah, has been an offensive coordinator at three stops in college but never at the NFL level. He spent the 2021 season coaching quarterbacks in Philadelphia.

run pMc
01-28-2022, 02:45 PM
You’re suggesting that Rodgers will play another 5-6 years? Not for this team, nor do I think he will last that long.

Likewise.
He gently floated the idea of retirement last offseason so you know it's on the horizon and getting closer. I don't think he'll be playing past 42.
There's a big drop off in QB play as they reach 40 (look it up), plus you can see his legs aren't what they were and soon age will affect his arm. It won't be as bad as Big Ben but it sure won't get any better than it is.
In all likelihood you'll see it first in his fundamentals and accuracy getting worse.

Don't give me the Brady argument, TB's a unicorn and you can't just assume Rodgers will be a similar extreme outlier when he's already thinking about hosting Jeopardy and retirement.

Sparkey
01-28-2022, 03:32 PM
NBC Chicago is reporting that Getsy has been offered the OC position for the Bears.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/chicago-football/report-bears-offer-luke-getsy-offensive-coordinator-job/2741288/?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_CHBrand

Fritz
01-28-2022, 03:32 PM
Likewise.
He gently floated the idea of retirement last offseason so you know it's on the horizon and getting closer. I don't think he'll be playing past 42.
There's a big drop off in QB play as they reach 40 (look it up), plus you can see his legs aren't what they were and soon age will affect his arm. It won't be as bad as Big Ben but it sure won't get any better than it is.
In all likelihood you'll see it first in his fundamentals and accuracy getting worse.

Don't give me the Brady argument, TB's a unicorn and you can't just assume Rodgers will be a similar extreme outlier when he's already thinking about hosting Jeopardy and retirement.

For a guy who proclaimes he loves playing in the cold, the colder the better, Rodgers did not look like he enjoyed playing in the cold last week...

And another "what if" - what if Rodgers could've scooted past Bosa on that third-and-eleven, and gotten the first? Damn. That was big.

texaspackerbacker
01-28-2022, 05:52 PM

hahahaha Why the fuck not?

All this shit about losing coaches other than Hackett may or may not happen. The main relevance of it, though, is to give panicky fools something to whine and worry about. If they go, they go. I'm reasonably certain LaFleur could fairly easily round up a new crop of adequate subordinates.

Joemailman
01-28-2022, 06:01 PM
Mike Klis
@mikeklis

Per source, Packers aren’t letting OL coach Adam Stenavich interview for Broncos OC job. Would think he might get OC job with the Pack. Interviewing coordinators a lil more involved process with league policies. Hackett, who will call plays, has other options. #9sports

I read they couldn't block coaches from seeking coordinator positions. At any rate, it likely means LaFleur will pick Stenavich for OC.

Jason Wilde
@jasonjwilde

Since NFL teams can't block assistant coaches from promotions anymore and Matt LaFleur was very clear in saying he'd never do that even if he could, this points to Stenavich being told that he'll be Hackett's replacement as the #Packers OC -- not officially yet, maybe, but ...

Thanks Jason

kcpackman
01-28-2022, 06:26 PM
Except teams like the 49ers have NOT kicked it down the road....so they have a serious advantage in the here and now. TB was another team that hadn't kicked it down the road when they signed Tom. The Rams have sold out all their draft capital to get to the NFCC. Not sure about their cap, but the Goff contract was an albatross and they ditched it. But if they don't win now, they won't be drafting much talent in the next few years.

Just another reason why the primary way to build a team and stay relatively salary cap solvent is via the draft. Part of the problem with the cap next year is 4 free agent signings from 3 years ago. The Smith brother, Turner and Amos. I am not say they should not have done that - but what portion of next years cap is do to them, or for that matter what portion of this years cap numbers were do to those 4 before they were restructured? I dont know.

King Friday
01-28-2022, 06:37 PM
Stenavich should be retained at all costs. Someone who understands line play gets high marks from me. I'm also not going to be in awe of a QB coach that is in charge of Rodgers. I could be the QB coach and look successful. If you turn Daniel Jones into an All Pro, I'll give you props. Being the fluffer for a HOF QB doesn't prove much.

run pMc
01-29-2022, 09:28 AM
Agree. If I could only pick one of Hackett, Stenavich, and Getsy to keep, I'd take Steno.

Joemailman
01-29-2022, 09:40 AM
I wonder if offering Steno title of Asst. Head Coach is enough to keep him here even if he's not OC.

jklowan
01-29-2022, 11:00 AM
So Rodgers wants Adams and MVS on whatever team he plays for, Adams is asking for 30 mil per, bye Felicia, no cap cooking is gonna fix that equation!

red
01-29-2022, 11:10 AM
So Rodgers wants Adams and MVS on whatever team he plays for, Adams is asking for 30 mil per, bye Felicia, no cap cooking is gonna fix that equation!

thats probably the final nail in the coffin

i don't think theres any way we can keep and or sign all 3

Bretsky
01-29-2022, 12:27 PM

Where did you see this ? If he makes the comment, especially about MVS....that's over the top

jklowan
01-29-2022, 12:32 PM
rotoworld

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline reports Aaron Rodgers has “told people in confidence” he wants free agents Davante Adams and Marquez Valdes-Scantling wherever he plays next season.
The report comes after Rodgers called "everything on the table" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=8594&v=NKS1rMVuOgk&feature=youtu.be)when talking about his playing future. Rodgers had the Packers void the final year of his contract (2023) as part of last season's holdout and there are rumors the Broncos hiring of Nathaniel Hackett as their head coach was made as a play to lure the 38-year-old out of Green Bay. The Packers’ front office missteps — from drafting Jordan Love to balking at Rodgers and Adams extensions — are the driving force behind Rodgers wanting out. An NFC Divisional run and second consecutive MVP increase his chances of staying, but with a negative cap situation and GM Brian Gutekunst returning, it's possible 2021 ends up as Rodgers’s last season in Green Bay.

jklowan
01-29-2022, 12:35 PM
Packers WR Davante Adams is “looking for a contract near $30 million per year.”
It was already reported Adams wants to be the league’s highest paid receiver. The $30 million average per year would place Adams ahead of the DeAndre Hopkins ($27M APR) and Julio Jones ($22M APR) deals. The Packers, who are $40 million over the salary cap, aren’t expected to offer more than $25 million annually, making a long-term deal unlikely this offseason. With Aaron Rodgers only signed through 2022, Green Bay's best route may be to franchise Adams, which would count just $22 million against the cap.

Bretsky
01-29-2022, 01:03 PM
Packers WR Davante Adams is “looking for a contract near $30 million per year.”
It was already reported Adams wants to be the league’s highest paid receiver. The $30 million average per year would place Adams ahead of the DeAndre Hopkins ($27M APR) and Julio Jones ($22M APR) deals. The Packers, who are $40 million over the salary cap, aren’t expected to offer more than $25 million annually, making a long-term deal unlikely this offseason. With Aaron Rodgers only signed through 2022, Green Bay's best route may be to franchise Adams, which would count just $22 million against the cap.

THANK YOU for the sources; I tend to believe the media and have always embraced the where there is fuel there is fire.

I don't see how GB woudl want to pay Adams 30MIL/Season. But who knows.

If I'm the GM I'm figuring out how to clear cap space and Franchise Adams. IF AROD thinks he's going to bully GB into trading him and Adams as well, I'm going to try to rob somebody

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-29-2022, 01:07 PM
THANK YOU for the sources; I tend to believe the media and have always embraced the where there is fuel there is fire.

I don't see how GB woudl want to pay Adams 30MIL/Season. But who knows.

If I'm the GM I'm figuring out how to clear cap space and Franchise Adams. IF AROD thinks he's going to bully GB into trading him and Adams as well, I'm going to try to rob somebody

They are probably entertaining offers as we speak/type..

texaspackerbacker
01-29-2022, 01:37 PM
Then give Adams $150 million for five years; $65 m bonus, $2m, 8m, 15m, 25m, 35m per season. Cap number is $15m next season.

Hackett is gone. Make Getsey the Packers OC, and hire Cobb to Getsey's spot.

Joemailman
01-29-2022, 01:48 PM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

Hearing after #Broncos were unable to hire Adam Stenavich from #Packers, they went after WR coach Jason Vrable. But he won’t be going either and is possibly LaFleur’s passing game coordinator assuming Getsy leaves for #Bears. Hackett may have eye on TEs coach Justin Outten now.

If reports like this are true:

Is MLF able to block someone from leaving for an OC job by offering them passing coordinator job? Or is he able to persuade people to stay without even blocking them?

King Friday
01-29-2022, 01:59 PM
Going from WR coach to OC would be a huge step. I'm not sure that was ever in the cards.

Joemailman
01-29-2022, 02:06 PM
Going from WR coach to OC would be a huge step. I'm not sure that was ever in the cards.

You would think Steno would become OC and Vrable would become passing game coordinator in addition to WR coach. Assuming Getsy is gone of course.

Bretsky
01-29-2022, 02:48 PM
^ Correct. He ain't no spring chicken. The wheels could fall off at any moment.

Also: what's the point of dumping any money into any other receivers if his high holy-rollerness only has eyes for Adams?

I think we're best served keeping one or the other but not both.

AROD is not going to complain about having another elite weapon. He'd throw to him.

Bretsky
01-29-2022, 02:51 PM
Then give Adams $150 million for five years; $65 m bonus, $2m, 8m, 15m, 25m, 35m per season. Cap number is $15m next season.

Year 4 cap hit 38 Million
Year 5 cap hit 48 Million

Bretsky
01-29-2022, 02:52 PM

Sounds like Getsy is going to Chicago

red
01-29-2022, 04:46 PM
i have found a way to keep rodgers and adams on a tag

and the rest of the team by releasing preston, cobb, lowry, crosby and lewis

giving new contracts to z smith, alexander, amos, and turner. going by cap numbers based on their previous contracts

restructuring by converting salary plus roster bonuses into signing bonuses for bakh and clark

doing all that frees up about 63 million. getting us under the cap and being able to tag adams. now if we gave adams an actual new contract we would be able to get his number lower

also getting rid of zdarious and giving preston a new deal instead might save us more cap space

red
01-29-2022, 04:50 PM

the rest of the years aren't much better

year 1 - 15 million dollar cap hit
year 2 - 21 million
year 3 - 28 million
year 4 - 38
year 5 - 48

Joemailman
01-29-2022, 04:52 PM
i have found a way to keep rodgers and adams on a tag

and the rest of the team by releasing preston, cobb, lowry, crosby and lewis

giving new contracts to z smith, alexander, amos, and turner. going by cap numbers based on their previous contracts

restructuring by converting salary plus roster bonuses into signing bonuses for bakh and clark

doing all that frees up about 63 million. getting us under the cap and being able to tag adams. now if we gave adams an actual new contract we would be able to get his number lower

also getting rid of zdarious and giving preston a new deal instead might save us more cap space

That would actually make more sense since I think Packers would be reluctant to extend Z due to his back issues.

red
01-29-2022, 04:58 PM
i think we need to be real clear also. hopkins is not making 27 million per year. he signed a 2 year extension that added 54 million to the already existing 3 years. that 54 million was spread over 5 years on top of the existing contract

his average cap number of those 5 years is 18.9 million a season. nowhere close to the 27 million a year the simple brained meatheads on TV and radio are reporting it as

micheal thomas signed a 5 year extension in 2019 for 96.25. that money added to what he was already making in 2019 made it in reality a 6 year 98 million dollar deal. counting on average16.3 million a year against the cap

RashanGary
01-29-2022, 05:29 PM
i think we need to be real clear also. hopkins is not making 27 million per year. he signed a 2 year extension that added 54 million to the already existing 3 years. that 54 million was spread over 5 years on top of the existing contract

his average cap number of those 5 years is 18.9 million a season. nowhere close to the 27 million a year the simple brained meatheads on TV and radio are reporting it as

micheal thomas signed a 5 year extension in 2019 for 96.25. that money added to what he was already making in 2019 made it in reality a 6 year 98 million dollar deal. counting on average16.3 million a year against the cap

Yep. That was a 2 year extension because he had a bad contract. It’s not 27M/season.

run pMc
01-29-2022, 06:12 PM
the rest of the years aren't much better

year 1 - 15 million dollar cap hit
year 2 - 21 million
year 3 - 28 million
year 4 - 38
year 5 - 48

and he'd be 34 going on 35 when that deal ends. Still, if the goal is to keep Rodgers and Adams, it might happen. Will hurt their cap (48 million for a 34 yo WR is bonkers), but could happen.

texaspackerbacker
01-29-2022, 06:23 PM

Either he is gone before year 4 and 5 or else he gets restructured beyond that if he is still effective after three years.

My point was to hire Cobb to Getsey's position wherever Getsey may end up. If the report above was accurate, Rodgers said he wanted to play with Adams and MVS - not mentioning Cobb. Keeping him in Green Bay as a coach seems like a good idea.

call_me_ishmael
01-29-2022, 07:30 PM
That’s the thing Tex. When you’re paying someone big ass signing bonuses to defer money and get under the cap, you *cant* just move on. They’re stuck on the books.

Joemailman
01-29-2022, 07:42 PM
I just don't think you can justify paying a WR 30 million per year. Too many teams have proven you can win without an all-pro WR. Including the Packers the last 3 years when Adams has been out.

call_me_ishmael
01-29-2022, 08:06 PM
Wanting 30M per year and getting it are too different things. I, too, want it. Maybe an ass team that is flush with cash would pay it. No good organization will IMO. We shall see.

Joemailman
01-29-2022, 09:19 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

The #Packers are promoting Adam Stenavich to offensive coordinator, sources tell me and @TomPelissero.

Stenavich replaces Nathaniel Hackett, who hoped to bring him along to Denver. The path is now clear for Luke Getsy to be the #Bears OC. That is expected to be official soon.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

So to recap:

Hackett to Denver as Head Coach
Getsy to Chicago as OC
Steno stays in GB as OC
Outten potentially to Denver as OC

GB had an embarrassment of riches on their offensive staff the last few seasons.

So Stenavich becomes OC. Butkus probably gets OL coach position. They'll need to find a TE coach and a QB coach.

texaspackerbacker
01-29-2022, 11:36 PM
That’s the thing Tex. When you’re paying someone big ass signing bonuses to defer money and get under the cap, you *cant* just move on. They’re stuck on the books.

Cutting him in 3 or 4 years would mean 24 or 12 million dead money - that's the chance you take or price you pay for kicking the can and the success in the short or medium term. Of course, if he's still good by then, you extend him and put off oblivion for a few more years. Myself, I'd rather it is 5 or more years from now than next year or the year after.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-30-2022, 03:35 AM
Cutting him in 3 or 4 years would mean 24 or 12 million dead money - that's the chance you take or price you pay for kicking the can and the success in the short or medium term. Of course, if he's still good by then, you extend him and put off oblivion for a few more years. Myself, I'd rather it is 5 or more years from now than next year or the year after.

Good luck with your hopes but it looks more and more like Rodgers is history. I just hope we get compensated appropriately. MVP should help, Brady retiring should help..

Joemailman
01-30-2022, 08:42 AM
Good luck with your hopes but it looks more and more like Rodgers is history. I just hope we get compensated appropriately. MVP should help, Brady retiring should help..

Time will tell. It does seem though Rodgers is trying to see if there is a way for he Packers to keep him (and maybe Adams) without gutting the team.

When Aaron Rodgers' season ended after a Divisional Round loss to the 49ers, he didn't hop on a jet and fly to Los Angeles. Frustrated, and with his future hanging in the balance, the Packers quarterback stuck around in Green Bay.

Sources say Rodgers stayed in the building for a few extra days to plot out the team's future, huddling with coach Matt LaFleur and others and mapping out what's next. It left those in the organization with confidence moving forward that Rodgers will return for the 2022 season.

Cautious optimism was the phrase, per sources, though no one wants to interfere with Rodgers' process. And Packers decision makers all respect the steps he'll take to arrive at his eventual decision.

Rodgers has said publicly that all options are on the table moving forward, from returning to retiring to working with the team on a possible trade that's suitable for all parties. He also has said he doesn't want to be in a rebuilding situation.

King Friday
01-30-2022, 11:39 AM
I'm with you Joe. There is a way to keep the band mostly together for another 2-3 years, and Rodgers knows it. He also knows he would have to work his ass off if he left Green Bay and went anywhere else without any guarantee it would be any better. The Packers aren't going to let him move to another NFC team, and the AFC is becoming loaded at this point.

All signs point to Rodgers putting in a lot of effort to stay in Green Bay and make the final push to getting that second title that he needs to secure his legacy on the Mount Rushmore of QBs. There are a lot of moving pieces and it might not work out in the end, but I think the chances are greater that he stays at this point.

Fritz
01-30-2022, 01:54 PM
I'm with you Joe. There is a way to keep the band mostly together for another 2-3 years, and Rodgers knows it. He also knows he would have to work his ass off if he left Green Bay and went anywhere else without any guarantee it would be any better. The Packers aren't going to let him move to another NFC team, and the AFC is becoming loaded at this point.

All signs point to Rodgers putting in a lot of effort to stay in Green Bay and make the final push to getting that second title that he needs to secure his legacy on the Mount Rushmore of QBs. There are a lot of moving pieces and it might not work out in the end, but I think the chances are greater that he stays at this point.

I picture Rodgers sitting down with Russ Ball, a sharp pencil in hand, working out that salary cap.

Joemailman
01-30-2022, 03:26 PM
Butkus gets head OL job. Looks the part.

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_editorial_landscape_6_desktop_2x/f_auto/packers/c9dxd36n7fvbnjruipxj.jpg

Fritz
01-30-2022, 03:28 PM
Next order of business: fire Drayton, hire that Italian dude. Ballsackia?

Joemailman
01-30-2022, 07:30 PM
Andrew Brandt
@AndrewBrandt

As someone who managed that Cap for ten years, ignore the drama. They've had a plan for months to deal with the overage. They'll figure it out.

call_me_ishmael
01-30-2022, 08:20 PM

Based on the latest reporting, I agree it sure seems that way.

I would like to think that MILF made it clear to him how dominant he'd be in the SF play action offense.

texaspackerbacker
01-30-2022, 09:15 PM
Good luck with your hopes but it looks more and more like Rodgers is history.

You're nothing if not consistent - a total idiot and shithead in whichever part of the forum you are in.

texaspackerbacker
01-30-2022, 09:18 PM
Andrew Brandt
@AndrewBrandt

As someone who managed that Cap for ten years, ignore the drama. They've had a plan for months to deal with the overage. They'll figure it out.

The best advice I've heard for a while.

call_me_ishmael
01-30-2022, 11:46 PM
Edge rushing is a young man's game where as receiving is a veteran's game, so I wouldn't be shocked if the Packers move on from Z and Prestone and add an WR.

Especially given this:

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1488020618586955784

My top 50 prospect list comes out in a few days. 7 of my top 25 players are edge rushers.

Joemailman
01-31-2022, 08:05 AM
Edge rushing is a young man's game where as receiving is a veteran's game, so I wouldn't be shocked if the Packers move on from Z and Prestone and add an WR.

Especially given this:

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1488020618586955784

And it's not just the top 25. Draft Network recently had 17 edge rushers in their to 100. So there could be good prospects into the 3rd round. I still think Packers will try to keep one of the Smiths though. Probably Preston.

Fritz
01-31-2022, 01:33 PM
And it's not just the top 25. Draft Network recently had 17 edge rushers in their to 100. So there could be good prospects into the 3rd round. I still think Packers will try to keep one of the Smiths though. Probably Preston.

I'd keep Prestone over Z.

George Cumby
01-31-2022, 01:48 PM
I'd keep Prestone over Z.

+1

Upnorth
01-31-2022, 03:46 PM
So assuming our wr position gets fucked what are the chances of Cedric Wilson being an affordable #2? I think that him Lazard and mvs would be an ok combo.

He is not anywhere near Adams but might have the ability to be a #1. Low end #1.

RashanGary
01-31-2022, 04:02 PM
So assuming our wr position gets fucked what are the chances of Cedric Wilson being an affordable #2? I think that him Lazard and mvs would be an ok combo.

He is not anywhere near Adams but might have the ability to be a #1. Low end #1.

I think we’re gonna have to draft wide receivers if they don’t plan to keep Adams. We should draft wide receivers if we do keep Adams. It’s one of the positions of need, regardless.

Upnorth
02-01-2022, 06:45 AM
I think we’re gonna have to draft wide receivers if they don’t plan to keep Adams. We should draft wide receivers if we do keep Adams. It’s one of the positions of need, regardless.

If we can hang onto lizard and mvs it won't be a disaster. We still need to draft a couple but that would dull the pain.
Lewis is old tonyon will miss a big chunk of the seaspn, deguara and Carney are question marks. I think our highest needs are te nose tackle ilb wr.
Oh and a 4th rd all pro tackle, but that's just assumed at this point right???

Joemailman
02-01-2022, 01:41 PM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

#Packers announce coaching changes: WRs coach Jason Vrable to WRs/passing game coordinator, Luke Butkus to offensive line coach, Connor Lewis to assistant quarterbacks coach and Ryan Mahaffey to assistant offensive line coach. LaFleur needs a QBs coach.

Connor Lewis was SPECIAL TEAMS ASSISTANT/GAME MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST. In his current role, Lewis works closely with special teams coordinator Maurice Drayton and assistant special teams coach Rayna Stewart with a focus on opponent scouting and game-plan preparation.

As an offensive quality control coach in 2020, Lewis worked with offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett with a focus on coaching the offensive line, a unit that allowed one sack/zero sacks in 13 games on the season, tied for No. 1 in team history.

Mahaffey was OFFENSIVE QUALITY CONTROL COACH.

Fritz
02-01-2022, 02:29 PM
Time will tell. It does seem though Rodgers is trying to see if there is a way for he Packers to keep him (and maybe Adams) without gutting the team.

Hey, if Aaron can see past his ego and realize his legacy will not be built on the size of his contract, maybe he'd consider a team-friendly deal that would allow the team to re-sign Adams and possible a couple other guys.

But if Rodgers couldn't get them over the top the past two years, how will him being another year older help? Better special teams, so the Packers win that game 13-6?

SudsMcBucky
02-01-2022, 03:01 PM
Hey, if Aaron can see past his ego and realize his legacy will not be built on the size of his contract, maybe he'd consider a team-friendly deal that would allow the team to re-sign Adams and possible a couple other guys.

Ummmm, yeah. I'm not going to hold my breath on THAT one.

Joemailman
02-01-2022, 05:16 PM
Zach Kruse
@zachkruse2
#Packers hosted a visit for TE Alize Mack, a seventh-round pick of the Saints in the 2019 NFL draft. Notre Dame product.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FKiyGagVgAIGZxK?format=png&name=small

Joemailman
02-02-2022, 10:54 AM
Justin Outten new Broncos OC. MLF now needs QB coach and TE coach.

Fritz
02-02-2022, 10:58 AM
Justin Outten new Broncos OC. MLF now needs QB coach and TE coach.

If Rodgers is coming back, perhaps they can make him the QB coach and he can then coach himself. He'd have more input in that quarterback room.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-02-2022, 11:18 AM
If Rodgers is coming back, perhaps they can make him the QB coach and he can then coach himself. He'd have more input in that quarterback room.

But Butte has a long-memory. That’s a good thing to have when one’s gaming. In the playoffs, however, having a long-memory could be handicapping. Bosa’s sack-fumble prior to the half got Butte all fucked up in the head. Ditto, the Sherman pick in the infamous Bostick game, the fumbled snap in the infamous game where the 69ers pounded the rock up and down the Pack’s rear end, all fucking day; hell, Butte wasn’t the same after Urlacher picked him off in the ‘11 NFC Title game.

Butte needs a coach who can get Butte into short-memory mode when needed. A coach who played QB at the highest level himself and would say “fuck!” after every pick but managed to forget about the pick a second later.

Brett Favre.

Joemailman
02-02-2022, 01:39 PM
Matt Barrows
@mattbarrows
I can confirm that Jon Embree will not return to the 49ers next season. The 49ers will need to find a new tight ends coach. Embree, 56, had the additional title of Assistant Head Coach and, obviously, George Kittle flourished under his tutelage.

This would be a nice pickup for the Packers to consider.

call_me_ishmael
02-02-2022, 09:07 PM
Seems odd, I wonder why he was cut free.

Joemailman
02-02-2022, 09:33 PM
Seems odd, I wonder why he was cut free.

There are reports he was asked to take a 60% pay cut.

George Cumby
02-02-2022, 10:00 PM

!

Sparkey
02-02-2022, 10:48 PM

That sounds like something I would expect from the Dolphins or Jets ownership..... Seems odd. My guess is he pissed someone off that is higher up the ladder..

Upnorth
02-03-2022, 06:27 AM
This would be a nice pickup for the Packers to consider.

He understandsvthe goal.of our system and has shown sucess with an amazing player. How have the other te developed under his watch? If they are above average we need jim on our team

Fritz
02-04-2022, 09:09 AM
He understandsvthe goal.of our system and has shown sucess with an amazing player. How have the other te developed under his watch? If they are above average we need jim on our team

Wait, make him the special teams coach, too. Make anybody not a current Green Bay assistant the special teams coach.

call_me_ishmael
02-04-2022, 10:32 PM
Packers are allegedly trying to sign Rodgers to a "monster" extension.

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1489654591247589382

Joemailman
02-05-2022, 11:28 AM
I sometimes find Larry McCarren's homerism tedious, but he's good when interviewing offensive linemen. His interview with Luke Butkus is great. https://www.packers.com/video/butkus-1-on-1-offensive-line-mentality

Teamcheez1
02-05-2022, 01:11 PM
Packers are allegedly trying to sign Rodgers to a "monster" extension.

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1489654591247589382

A “monster” extension would be a mistake. An extension that gives cap relief and lowers his salary would be fine

texaspackerbacker
02-05-2022, 02:56 PM
I sometimes find Larry McCarren's homerism tedious, but he's good when interviewing offensive linemen. His interview with Luke Butkus is great. https://www.packers.com/video/butkus-1-on-1-offensive-line-mentality

Of all these blogs and God damned media types, Larry McCarren is exactly the one I never get tired of - for the exact same reason you do hahahaha.

texaspackerbacker
02-05-2022, 02:59 PM
A “monster” extension would be a mistake. An extension that gives cap relief and lowers his salary would be fine

A "monster" extension is exactly what we need - monster in terms of time, though, not necessarily money. The goal should be two-fold: Keep Rodgers Green Bay for a helluva lot longer than any of the negativist fools would believe, and work the cap to the max.

Fritz
02-05-2022, 03:10 PM
Good Lord. What does "monster" mean? Years? Money? Both? IF it's money, how will the Packers be able to afford anyone else?

Joemailman
02-05-2022, 03:44 PM
Matt Schneidman

The Packers also promoted senior analyst John Dunn to TE coach, replacing new Broncos OC Justin Outten.

Dunn is entering his sixth season in the NFL and second with the Packers, having worked as a senior analyst for Green Bay last season. He previously coached tight ends for the New York Jets (2019-20) and was a football assistant (2016) and offensive assistant with the Chicago Bears (2017)

run pMc
02-05-2022, 03:50 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/evaluating-packers-roster-entering-2022-offseason/

Either way, there will be bloodletting. Eventually.

Joemailman
02-05-2022, 04:51 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/evaluating-packers-roster-entering-2022-offseason/

"These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood." - Clemenza

ThunderDan
02-06-2022, 09:10 AM

That is a great article and makes a couple of very interesting points.

ARod will be on the roster no matter what at the start of the next NFL year unless he retires. No trades allowed until after the start of the new year, if I read the article correctly.

We have to be at the cap limit at the start of the year, if I read the article correctly.

This means we still are going to have to get rid of players to get under the cap even if we are trading ARod after March 15.

If we keep ARod a contract extension will have to be completed by March 15th to free up some cap space so we don’t have to get rid of as many players.

ThunderDan
02-06-2022, 09:13 AM
"These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood." - Clemenza

“I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.”

Joemailman
02-06-2022, 09:28 AM
Bears are hiring Richard Hightower, 49ers ST coach. Bears had been considered in the mix for Bisaccia.

Freak Out
02-06-2022, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the share Joe.

Upnorth
02-06-2022, 01:15 PM
At te max Williams (if he can pass a physical after the mcl) is in our price range and would be a great addition. Really good run blocker and solid hands. Likely better than deguara or tonyon.

Fritz
02-06-2022, 01:48 PM
At te max Williams (if he can pass a physical after the mcl) is in our price range and would be a great addition. Really good run blocker and solid hands. Likely better than deguara or tonyon.

Tonyan was great. Not sure how you could say this guy is better. Tonyan was sorely missed in that SF game.

Upnorth
02-06-2022, 03:27 PM
Tonyan was great. Not sure how you could say this guy is better. Tonyan was sorely missed in that SF game.

2020 he was great. 2021 62% catch rate. Poor run blocking.
Williams has a career catch rate of 80% and is a very good run blocker. He is very much an upgrade.
2020 tonyon had me sold on him. 2021 not so much.

Conversely while I expect Williams to be better than tonyon I actually think he replaces Lewis and we keep tonyon fyi. Getting best of both worlds.
Didn't put my full thought process out there Adam at a hockey tpurny for son.

Upnorth
02-06-2022, 04:43 PM

2020 he was great. 2021 62% catch rate. Poor run blocking.
Williams has a career catch rate of 80% and is a very good run blocker. He is very much an upgrade.
2020 tonyon had me sold on him. 2021 not so much.

Conversely while I expect Williams to be better than tonyon I actually think he replaces Lewis and we keep tonyon fyi. Getting best of both worlds.
Didn't put my full thought process out there Adam at a hockey tpurny for son.

Joemailman
02-06-2022, 07:15 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz
@WesHod

364 more days until the next #ProBowl ��

George Cumby
02-07-2022, 10:54 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz
@WesHod

364 more days until the next #ProBowl ��

Be still, my beating heart.

gbgary
02-07-2022, 04:19 PM
with almost half the team being free agents of one type or the other they'll be very active in free agency. lol

Joemailman
02-07-2022, 05:27 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FKiyGagVgAIGZxK?format=png&name=small

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

#Packers have signed TE Alizé Mack, a 6-foot-4, 251-pound, first-year player, to a futures contract. A seventh round pick of the #Saints in 2019, he has spent time on the practice squads of the Saints (2019), Steelers (2019), Chiefs (2019) and Lions (2021).

Very athletic guy. Don't know about his receiving skills.

wthigoot
02-07-2022, 06:02 PM
On the website right now, under transactions, Mack is signed. On the roster page Mack ls "Traded to Another Conference" LOL - https://www.packers.com/team/players-roster/

Not sure what that means. Guess they will clean that up soon.

run pMc
02-07-2022, 11:58 PM
Mack shows as signed today.
From what I can tell he has decent hands and straight line speed, willing if modestly ineffective blocker, not a tackle breaker. Doesn't seem like an instinctive player but you could do worse than him. Competition for Tyler Davis and Tonyan (if he returns).

call_me_ishmael
02-16-2022, 11:27 PM
Dante Fowler will be a cheap option with talent that made him a top 5 pick that the Packers should consider kicking the tires on and try to get someone who outperforms their contract.

Fritz
02-17-2022, 08:09 AM
I can't see paying Rodgers at the top of the cap. Not after his performance the last two years in the playoffs.

Not only is he NOT the GOAT, he's not even second. You need someone to win the game - the big game? Call Joe Montana. Don't bother calling ARod.

If he wants to come back to try again, don't pay him through the roof. Tell him his legacy is about Super Bowls at this point, not paychecks.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-17-2022, 08:25 AM
I can't see paying Rodgers at the top of the cap. Not after his performance the last two years in the playoffs.

Not only is he NOT the GOAT, he's not even second. You need someone to win the game - the big game? Call Joe Montana. Don't bother calling ARod.

If he wants to come back to try again, don't pay him through the roof. Tell him his legacy is about Super Bowls at this point, not paychecks.

Yeah, I agree. Trade him at (or near) the top of his game. seems like no brainer, especially with several teams with the desire, and the capital, to acquire him...

Joemailman
02-17-2022, 01:42 PM
By May 2, Packers will have to decide whether to exercise 5th year option on Rashan Gary and Darnell Savage. Reportedly, doing so would mean a cap hit of 10.5 million with Gary and 7.9 million with Savage, unless of course they sign contract extensions. I think it's a given they exercise the 5th year option with Gary, as he is now the team's top pass rusher but Savage is a tougher call as he digressed in 2021.

call_me_ishmael
02-17-2022, 09:40 PM
Sure sounds like Aaron is back based on the Clements hire. Would be a very odd choice otherwise given no ties to LaFleur, age, plus he already retired.

Will be interesting to see the structure of the contract. That will reveal a lot to us. If it's a one year arrangement, I think they keep Love. If it's a 2-3 year, Love is gonezo for hopefully an R2, probably an R3.

Joemailman
02-17-2022, 11:54 PM
Sure sounds like Aaron is back based on the Clements hire. Would be a very odd choice otherwise given no ties to LaFleur, age, plus he already retired.

Will be interesting to see the structure of the contract. That will reveal a lot to us. If it's a one year arrangement, I think they keep Love. If it's a 2-3 year, Love is gonezo for hopefully an R2, probably an R3.

Obviously it's a hire Rodgers would appreciate. But I think it's a good choice no matter who the QB will be. Clements was the QB coach here when Rodgers replaced Favre. He'd know the kind of pressures Love would be dealing with in that situation.

Fritz
02-18-2022, 09:25 AM
I wonder if Matt LeFleur called up Tom Clements and said "Man, I can't keep that SOB from just throwing to Davante Adams, no matter how open anyone else is. Can you fix this for me?"

Maybe Clements is the Rodgers-whisperer.

call_me_ishmael
02-18-2022, 09:33 AM
Obviously it's a hire Rodgers would appreciate. But I think it's a good choice no matter who the QB will be. Clements was the QB coach here when Rodgers replaced Favre. He'd know the kind of pressures Love would be dealing with in that situation.

Fair but look at it from Clements perspective. He's going to be 70 next year. You really think he wants another long term project? Maybe he does, IDK. Seems unlikely to me since I am assuming Clements has plenty of money to live a great retirement.

call_me_ishmael
02-18-2022, 09:35 AM
Lots of good TEs hitting the market this off-season. I know we have no money and yadda yadda yadda but let's make it happen, eh?

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1494401384321630208

Fritz
02-18-2022, 11:53 AM
I don't quite understand what happened to our love of Tonyan. That guy was good, really good. He rarely dropped a ball, and he got open a lot. He wasn't a great blocker, but he was getting better.

And I can't imagine the team wouldn't be able to bring him back on a one-year "prove it" deal, since he got hurt. He'd be ready to go by mid-season, I would think. Between him and Deguara and Daffney and Lewis, you've got enough to hold down the fort. IF they want to draft a TE in the fourth or fifth rounds to compete, fine. But why is everyone thinking TE is such a need, when Tonyan can probably be had pretty cheap and has shown he's got the goods?

call_me_ishmael
02-18-2022, 11:59 AM
I don't quite understand what happened to our love of Tonyan. That guy was good, really good. He rarely dropped a ball, and he got open a lot. He wasn't a great blocker, but he was getting better.

And I can't imagine the team wouldn't be able to bring him back on a one-year "prove it" deal, since he got hurt. He'd be ready to go by mid-season, I would think. Between him and Deguara and Daffney and Lewis, you've got enough to hold down the fort. IF they want to draft a TE in the fourth or fifth rounds to compete, fine. But why is everyone thinking TE is such a need, when Tonyan can probably be had pretty cheap and has shown he's got the goods?

I'd love to see that, and go and get a guy like OJ Howard. Howard will probably be cheap since he is super talented (#3 draft pick after all) but also had a ton of problems making plays, etc in Tampa. I know nothing of his off-the-field stuff, so maybe he has a ton of baggage and in that case I wouldn't be interested.

They just need athletic weapons for Aaron. I agree they have some but they could potentially have more. More is better than fewer.

This was an interesting read about how the Packers can totally cook the cap and make everything happen while chopping 90M off of it. Honestly, most of the things here seem reasonable to me. But I guess I'm not sure if that puts them WAY over next year. As long as they can hang on a bit for next year and get to 2024 and the cap explosion, I think they'll be okay.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/packers-salary-cap-contracts-2022-offseason-aaron-rodgers-all-in-savings-restructure-cut-extension/

Joemailman
02-18-2022, 12:40 PM
The Packers Wire

Mike Smith, the Packers OLBs coach since 2019, is leaving the team to pursue other opportunities, per Rob Demovsky of ESPN.

That's a big loss. He had a lot to do with Gary's development. Probably not a vacancy MLF thought he would have to fill.

Edit:

Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky
One more coaching staff note: OLB coach Mike Smith is leaving the Packers to pursue other opportunities, a source said.

This did not come out of the blue and has been in discussion for a while, per the source. The team agreed to let him do that and will have a new OLB coach.

Joemailman
02-18-2022, 03:25 PM
The Green Bay Packers have hired Jason Rebrovich as outside linebackers coach. Head Coach Matt LaFleur made the announcement Friday.

Rebrovich (reb-row-vitch) brings 20 years of coaching experience to the Packers, including eight seasons in the NFL with the Buffalo Bills (2013-16) and the Jacksonville Jaguars (2017-20). He most recently served as Jacksonville's defensive line coach in 2019-20.

Don't really know anything about him. He would have been with Hackett for 2 years in Jacksonville, so maybe that's how MLF would have known about him.

Wouldn't be surprised if Mike Smith ends up in Minnesota. He was close with Pettine and may not have been thrilled with the firing of Pettine.

call_me_ishmael
02-18-2022, 03:58 PM
Sounds like Z was cut. He did the whole cryptic tweet thing then removed any mention of Packers from all of his social media. Kinda wonder why nobody discusses trading him. He was an all-pro 2x in a row, should be able to get _some_ value for him.

Joemailman
02-18-2022, 04:07 PM
Sounds like Z was cut. He did the whole cryptic tweet thing then removed any mention of Packers from all of his social media. Kinda wonder why nobody discusses trading him. He was an all-pro 2x in a row, should be able to get _some_ value for him.

14.5 million base salary and a bad back. Nobody is going to trade for him when they know Packers will cut him.

Fritz
02-19-2022, 02:27 PM
Is it just me, or is MLF raiding the Jacksonville Jags coaching staff heavily?

Isn't it supposed to work the other way around? Where the losing team poaches the coaches from a winning team?

As for Dr. Z, it was a great run. I enjoyed him, and I'm sorry he got hurt.

Upnorth
02-19-2022, 02:45 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/packers-salary-cap-contracts-2022-offseason-aaron-rodgers-all-in-savings-restructure-cut-extension/

Yes please.

I'm skeptical but....

texaspackerbacker
02-19-2022, 02:56 PM
Excellent Article - pretty much what I've been saying all along but with more detail. I also saw a YouTube video by a guy name Basaraki saying very similar stuff. It obviously can be done. It obviously should be done, and it obviously will be done.

Joemailman
02-19-2022, 03:15 PM
Is it just me, or is MLF raiding the Jacksonville Jags coaching staff heavily?

Isn't it supposed to work the other way around? Where the losing team poaches the coaches from a winning team?

As for Dr. Z, it was a great run. I enjoyed him, and I'm sorry he got hurt.

Maybe teams like the Jags are the Jags because they make the wrong decisions. Rebrovich was let go when the Jags hired Urban Mayer. Jags fired Nathaniel Hackett mid-2018. Jags have been 13-42 since then. Belichick was fired by the Browns before getting another chance with the Patriots.

Fritz
02-20-2022, 01:16 PM
I'm just wondering, Joe. Your point is well-taken. I don't keep up as much as you do, so I think you are probably correct.

As for the Packers and offseason, IF they end up trading Rodgers (or he retires, God forbid - worst case scenario), and not re-signing Adams, do they start cutting expensive players left and right and starting over, or do they, say, keep Turner, try to re-sign MVS and Prestone Smith and maybe Campbell, and try to be competetive next year, fielding a team with better ST and a good defense, with a good offensive line, then run a lot while Love manages things?

Joemailman
02-20-2022, 01:39 PM
I'm just wondering, Joe. Your point is well-taken. I don't keep up as much as you do, so I think you are probably correct.

As for the Packers and offseason, IF they end up trading Rodgers (or he retires, God forbid - worst case scenario), and not re-signing Adams, do they start cutting expensive players left and right and starting over, or do they, say, keep Turner, try to re-sign MVS and Prestone Smith and maybe Campbell, and try to be competetive next year, fielding a team with better ST and a good defense, with a good offensive line, then run a lot while Love manages things?

They don't start over. They try to retain as many of their core players as possible. Frankly, if they trade Rodgers, that becomes easier to do. I don't buy the common assumption that Adams only stays if Rodgers stays. Again, the Packers do not just start over. That, I am sure is not a part of any of their plans.

Fritz
02-21-2022, 12:46 PM
They don't start over. They try to retain as many of their core players as possible. Frankly, if they trade Rodgers, that becomes easier to do. I don't buy the common assumption that Adams only stays if Rodgers stays. Again, the Packers do not just start over. That, I am sure is not a part of any of their plans.

Well, in some regards, if Rodgers goes they ARE starting over, even if they keep most of the rest of the team. But I can see the thinking of trying to keep most of the players if Rodgers goes, and seeing if the defense/improved ST, and running game can carry the team to a 9-8 record while Love acclimates. But I don't see Adams coming back if Rodgers goes.

Rastak
02-21-2022, 05:29 PM
Well, in some regards, if Rodgers goes they ARE starting over, even if they keep most of the rest of the team. But I can see the thinking of trying to keep most of the players if Rodgers goes, and seeing if the defense/improved ST, and running game can carry the team to a 9-8 record while Love acclimates. But I don't see Adams coming back if Rodgers goes.

My guess is Rodgers comes back. Will be a interesting offseason. Watched all the Vikings games last year but to be honest, I really didn't give a fuck. Been mainly watching the English Premier League hoping the lads at Newcastle stay up.

red
02-21-2022, 09:43 PM
My guess is Rodgers comes back. Will be a interesting offseason. Watched all the Vikings games last year but to be honest, I really didn't give a fuck. Been mainly watching the English Premier League hoping the lads at Newcastle stay up.

fuck newcastle

GO LEEDS!!!!!!

Spaulding
02-22-2022, 11:58 AM
fuck newcastle

GO LEEDS!!!!!!

I echo Red's comments on Newcastle but respectfully disagree regarding Leeds. It's Hammers or nothing my fine footballer friends. Almost Champions League Baby! :-)

call_me_ishmael
02-22-2022, 12:09 PM
Aaron Cocktease.

jklowan
02-22-2022, 12:35 PM
big ol nothing burger, cannot wait for this jackwagon to be GONE!!!!

Fritz
02-22-2022, 02:53 PM
Patience you must have. Revealed all will be in the next two weeks.

https://freeaddon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/star-wars-characters-8.jpg

Joemailman
02-22-2022, 05:05 PM
Packers sign kicker Dominik Eberle. He was on Raiders PS in 2020 so Bisaccia is familiar with him.

Joemailman
02-22-2022, 06:49 PM
Packers sign kicker Dominik Eberle. He was on Raiders PS in 2020 so Bisaccia is familiar with him.Eberle is a former college teammate of Jordan Love. This signing is an obvious attempt to get Jordan Love to return to Green Bay.

Bretsky
02-22-2022, 07:19 PM
Eberle is a former college teammate of Jordan Love. This signing is an obvious attempt to get Jordan Love to return to Green Bay.

WHICH ONE will play more snaps for Green Bay Next Year ? hmmmmm

Joemailman
02-23-2022, 09:06 AM
ield Yates
@FieldYates

The Packers have created $10.892M in 2022 cap space by restructuring the contract of NT Kenny Clark, per source.

Green Bay converted $13.615 of Clark’s 2022 compensation into a signing bonus and added two void years to his deal.

Chipping away to create some space...

Anti-Polar Bear
02-23-2022, 09:17 AM
Soccer is for wimps, cuckolds, Europeans and Brazilians. Give me futbol any day of the week.

run pMc
02-23-2022, 11:11 AM
ield Yates
@FieldYates

The Packers have created $10.892M in 2022 cap space by restructuring the contract of NT Kenny Clark, per source.

Green Bay converted $13.615 of Clark’s 2022 compensation into a signing bonus and added two void years to his deal.

Chipping away to create some space...

Beat me to it. The cap space process has begun and I expect more news like this over the next week.
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/23/packers-kenny-clark-cap-space-restructure-contract-salary-cap/

bobblehead
02-23-2022, 11:31 AM
Excellent Article - pretty much what I've been saying all along but with more detail. I also saw a YouTube video by a guy name Basaraki saying very similar stuff. It obviously can be done. It obviously should be done, and it obviously will be done.

I am kinda off packers stuff for now, but you think losing Z, Campbell, Adams and Douglas while kicking a mountain of cap to next year is the way to win next year? We will have a weaker team going into 2022 and a even bigger cap problem in 2024. This is a perfect recipe for getting slowly worse while destroying chances at a quick turnaround.

This team went one and done in the playoffs WITH those guys.