PDA

View Full Version : NEXT YEAR AARON RODGERS WILL BE

Pages : 1 [2] 3

George Cumby
02-24-2022, 11:46 AM
If he wants to be the GOAT, he needs to play like the GOAT when it counts.

And he hasn't.

call_me_ishmael
02-24-2022, 12:32 PM
The reality is that if the Packers thought they could be close to as successful with Love, they would move on. Their actions tell us what we need to know about Jordan Love. Do I expect him to take a big jump in season 3? Maybe, but I'm not optimistic.

RashanGary
02-24-2022, 12:39 PM
The reality is that if the Packers thought they could be close to as successful with Love, they would move on. Their actions tell us what we need to know about Jordan Love. Do I expect him to take a big jump in season 3? Maybe, but I'm not optimistic.

I agree. If they thought they had the next big thing, moving on from Aaron would be such an easy decision. They get to see Love every day. The fact that they're begging Aaron to come back says all that needs to be said about Jordan Love.

jklowan
02-24-2022, 03:16 PM
What do we think of the Dramalama wanting 50 plus million a year going forward, I say fuck him - take the gaddam draft picks and be done with it jesus h crist this asshat needs to go, thanks for the play now by bye

Joemailman
02-24-2022, 03:24 PM
I agree. If they thought they had the next big thing, moving on from Aaron would be such an easy decision. They get to see Love every day. The fact that they're begging Aaron to come back says all that needs to be said about Jordan Love.

If they're trying to sign Rodgers for 4 years, it means they feel Love isn't the guy. But if they're trying to sign Rodgers for 2 years, it might just mean they feel Love isn't quite ready yet.

King Friday
02-24-2022, 03:46 PM
If they're trying to sign Rodgers for 4 years, it means they feel Love isn't the guy. But if they're trying to sign Rodgers for 2 years, it might just mean they feel Love isn't quite ready yet.

I don't think Love will want to remain in GB long term if he has to wait another 2 years. If you resign Rodgers, you likely will need to trade Love. The only way he's going to truly improve at this point is to see the field.

call_me_ishmael
02-24-2022, 05:08 PM
50 million a year. Wow.

Teamcheez1
02-24-2022, 06:00 PM
50 million a year. Wow.

This is further proof that Rodgers is more interested in cashing out than winning. Let’s make a 39 year old QB the highest paid player in the NFL. No thank you.

call_me_ishmael
02-24-2022, 09:13 PM
I mean did he not earn the highest pay day? But nobody else earns even close to this AFAIK. Maybe like 45M in annual average but that is over a long contract eg. the cap and salary's will go up.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-26-2022, 09:08 AM
What do we think of the Dramalama wanting 50 plus million a year going forward, I say fuck him - take the gaddam draft picks and be done with it jesus h crist this asshat needs to go, thanks for the play now by bye

The NFL ain’t Walmart, where the CEO gets paid $40M a year, on top of a $60M year end bonus, to sit in an office all day getting blows. Meanwhile, the seasoned, hard-working chick is laboring away to keep the shelves full as she raises her daughter alone, all for the fucking minimum wage.

If she asks for a $50M raise, a sum that she deserves, they’ll terminate her faster than the speed of fuck. Sadly, she’s expendable. Butte, on the other hand, has just won another MVP. His kooky kung fu remains intact. As Spike Lee likes to say, Butte got game.

People pay hard-earned frogskins to watch Butte throw a rock. The Networks pay sumptuous frogskins to televise Butte throwing a rock. If players aren’t important, than why did the USFL, XFL and AAF, among others, fail?

Factor in future goodwill and Butte is absolutely worthy of $50M a year. Perhaps even more.

King Friday
02-26-2022, 07:11 PM
Butte has been sub .500 in the playoffs over the last 10 years. I ain't paying $50M a year to an aging legend who looks frozen when the temps dip below 30.

Fritz
02-28-2022, 01:06 PM

I don't know that I agree. If Rodgers really is playing around with retirement - and this is a relatively new idea, as far as I can tell - the Packers might be trying to keep him from retirement so they can try it with him one more year, and give Love one more year. Remember, Love's rookie year included no spring OTA's.

call_me_ishmael
02-28-2022, 01:42 PM
I don't know that I agree. If Rodgers really is playing around with retirement - and this is a relatively new idea, as far as I can tell - the Packers might be trying to keep him from retirement so they can try it with him one more year, and give Love one more year. Remember, Love's rookie year included no spring OTA's.

I don't think there is any way they're doing one more year TBH. The money aspect would be very difficult due to cap situation.

texaspackerbacker
02-28-2022, 02:34 PM
CMI, you're a smart guy. You ought to know better.

One more year of Rodgers would be way less than satisfactory IMO.

As for it they had the "next big thing" - Love or otherwise, no, that would not make the decision easier, as even if we got somebody really great, it would be such a major drop off from Rodgers that the team would flounder. Having Love and his being seemingly not very special softens the blow of the waste of drafting him.

call_me_ishmael
02-28-2022, 03:43 PM
Right I am saying it'll be multiple years. Probably at least 2, realistically a 3 year thing. Aaron isn't signing up to play for one year IMO. He knows it's at least 2.

ThunderDan
02-28-2022, 04:29 PM
CMI, you're a smart guy. You ought to know better.

One more year of Rodgers would be way less than satisfactory IMO.

As for it they had the "next big thing" - Love or otherwise, no, that would not make the decision easier, as even if we got somebody really great, it would be such a major drop off from Rodgers that the team would flounder. Having Love and his being seemingly not very special softens the blow of the waste of drafting him.
Holy cow, he agrees with you and you get all bent out of shape.

Bretsky
02-28-2022, 08:12 PM
FOR THOSE who boarded the LOVE BOAT .............are you getting in line to Walk the Plank, or are you hanging on with odds you'll go down with the ship ?

Upnorth
02-28-2022, 08:16 PM
FOR THOSE who boarded the LOVE BOAT .............are you getting in line to Walk the Plank, or are you hanging on with odds you'll go down with the ship ?

Love has potential. Or at least I hope so. We have no idea what he is or isn't. So until show otherwise I'm all about boaty mcboatface

texaspackerbacker
03-01-2022, 12:00 AM
Holy cow, he agrees with you and you get all bent out of shape.

hahahahaha You better check out the order of posts. He didn't come around to that sensible point of view until after I posted the thing you quoted.

I hardly ever get "bent out of shape" with CMI. That's reserved for a dumbass like you.

Teamcheez1
03-01-2022, 06:43 AM

MLF and Gute are hitching their wagon to Rodgers. He will give them the playoffs for a couple of years and then retire. At that point, they will have stretched the cap to its limit and have a complete rebuild. The beauty of the situation will be that both will be fired for no postseason Super Bowl and never get the chance for the rebuild.

ThunderDan
03-01-2022, 09:00 AM

Personally, I haven't boarded the LOVE BOAT. I would guess that it is 25/75 that he will be successful in the NFL.

What I have done is come to the conclusion that ARod isn't the way forward to win a Super Bowl. We will be stuck at 13-4 because we play in the NFC North and lose every year in the playoffs when we play the better teams in our conference.

What we have right now is the ability to trade ARod for a huge amount of draft capital that the franchise can build an extremely solid core of players to win multiple Super Bowls 3-8 years down the line.

2022 will be bad in stretches but we still might make the playoffs playing in the NFC North at 10-7.

Freak Out
03-01-2022, 09:08 AM
Personally, I haven't boarded the LOVE BOAT. I would guess that it is 25/75 that he will be successful in the NFL.

What I have done is come to the conclusion that ARod isn't the way forward to win a Super Bowl. We will be stuck at 13-4 because we play in the NFC North and lose every year in the playoffs when we play the better teams in our conference.

What we have right now is the ability to trade ARod for a huge amount of draft capital that the franchise can build an extremely solid core of players to win multiple Super Bowls 3-8 years down the line.

2022 will be bad in stretches but we still might make the playoffs playing in the NFC North at 10-7.

This is kinda where I'm at. If he still wants to play at all that is.

Freak Out
03-01-2022, 09:10 AM
Love may not end up being "the guy" but give him a shot and keep drafting QBs. Build an insane defense.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-01-2022, 09:32 AM
Love may not end up being "the guy" but give him a shot and keep drafting QBs. Build an insane defense.

Many of the trade speculators are saying picks plus a replacement QB. We may be able to give Love more time although I am not convinced he is the answer..

RashanGary
03-01-2022, 02:24 PM
The Packers see Love every day. They wouldn

Teamcheez1
03-01-2022, 02:41 PM
Rodgers denies the claim he wants to be paid north of $50M, yet everything I’m reading says the short term deal the Packers are working on would make him the highest paid player in the NFL. The front office is making a big mistake if that’s the case.

Joemailman
03-01-2022, 06:03 PM
Rodgers denies the claim he wants to be paid north of $50M, yet everything I’m reading says the short term deal the Packers are working on would make him the highest paid player in the NFL. The front office is making a big mistake if that’s the case.

Highest paid player doesn't necessarily mean 50+ million. Mahomes has the biggest contract at average per year at 45 Million. His cap hit this year is 36 million. There are different ways to define highest paid player.

Fritz
03-02-2022, 08:31 AM
Highest paid player doesn't necessarily mean 50+ million. Mahomes has the biggest contract at average per year at 45 Million. His cap hit this year is 36 million. There are different ways to define highest paid player.

The longer this goes on and the more I read - Gutes talking about how much work, how hard it is, for Rodgers to prepare for the next season, and implying that's what Rodgers is doing - the more I think Rodgers is coming back. They'll do a longer-term deal that will in reality mean another two years. I think Rodgers is closer to retirement than he thought he'd be when he was complaining last year. And I don't think he's the kind of guy who wants to just start over. I think he'll be back. And I think it's going to cost the Packers down the road.

call_me_ishmael
03-02-2022, 09:23 AM
The longer this goes on and the more I read - Gutes talking about how much work, how hard it is, for Rodgers to prepare for the next season, and implying that's what Rodgers is doing - the more I think Rodgers is coming back. They'll do a longer-term deal that will in reality mean another two years. I think Rodgers is closer to retirement than he thought he'd be when he was complaining last year. And I don't think he's the kind of guy who wants to just start over. I think he'll be back. And I think it's going to cost the Packers down the road.

This is generally where I'm at as well. I agree he seems closer to retirement than he thought.

Joemailman
03-02-2022, 12:25 PM
Ken Ingalls with what a 2 year extension, to run through 2024 might look like. It would lower Rodgers cap hit in 2022 by 14M. There would be dead money of 12M in both 2025 and 2026. The dead money would be about 4% of the salary cap in those years. There would actually less dead money than if they traded Rodgers this year at his current contract which would be 27M.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FM20sf0XIAQ66P8?format=png&name=large

call_me_ishmael
03-02-2022, 12:31 PM
I guess I would wonder why if they're gonna do two years at 12M, why not stretch it to all four and take less per year and have more cap space this year? I also don't think Rodgers is taking 50M per year now after the backlash. 45M per year though or whatever a few bucks more than the highest is. Seems stupid given that is real dollars paid today where as Mahomes and Allen are more fictional money at this stage.

I, too, would add one some big base salary (not guaranteed) in those void years to make it the highest average per year fully knowing he ain't getting it.

jklowan
03-02-2022, 01:30 PM
It all works but 2023 is nuts again

24 clark + 23 Jones + Rodgers 48.5 + 30 Bak that's 126 approx half the expected cap for 4 players yikes, it is gonna be ugly after another 1st round playoff exit in 22.

Upnorth
03-02-2022, 03:03 PM
It all works but 2023 is nuts again

24 clark + 23 Jones + Rodgers 48.5 + 30 Bak that's 126 approx half the expected cap for 4 players yikes, it is gonna be ugly after another 1st round playoff exit in 22.

But the cap doesnt matter. It's just an konstruct of the bigoted proletariat to force the poor kapitalists to given more of their profit to the undeserving owned players

call_me_ishmael
03-02-2022, 04:43 PM
Rodgers isn't going to be 48.5 though. That's crazy. They will for sure spread that cap hit over many years. He has a 26M roster bonus on there that will get converted to a signing bonus obviously. What does Rodgers care how it's structured as long as it's guaranteed? They will probably be on the hook for about 30-40M over 4 years after he leaves. No big thang, they'll issue a stock sale. The special addition Rodgers commemorative stock. No doubt about it IMO. And you know what? People will buy it.

Upnorth
03-02-2022, 05:17 PM
Rodgers isn't going to be 48.5 though. That's crazy. They will for sure spread that cap hit over many years. He has a 26M roster bonus on there that will get converted to a signing bonus obviously. What does Rodgers care how it's structured as long as it's guaranteed? They will probably be on the hook for about 30-40M over 4 years after he leaves. No big thang, they'll issue a stock sale. The special addition Rodgers commemorative stock. No doubt about it IMO. And you know what? People will buy it.

Cash flow is not a problem for the pack. Cap space is though.

Joemailman
03-03-2022, 01:21 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FM8RGT6WQAQUdys?format=jpg&name=small

Fritz
03-03-2022, 02:51 PM
With every passing day, with everything I'm reading, it sure does sound to me like they're bringing back the band for one more shot. Rodgers will be back, I am nearly certain now. LeFleur's comments about Tom Clements, Gute's comments about Rodgers's offseason preparation, his talk about putting the band back together, my sense that at this point Rodgers would not like to start over somewhere else - I think Rodgers will be back.

It was not my first preference, but it's better than if he just retires.

texaspackerbacker
03-03-2022, 06:25 PM
That has seemed obvious to some of us for a long time, and I seriously doubt it is just one more year. One year would be a gross disappointment to me even if we won the Super Bowl.

Joemailman
03-04-2022, 08:54 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

With all eyes on #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers and his future, here is the latest: Sources say Rodgers is truly torn on where he wants to play in 2022. While many in the NFL expect him to return — there's lots of positivity in Green Bay — he is going back and forth on what he wants.

King Friday
03-05-2022, 06:31 AM
Rodgers clearly spent way too much time learning from Favre. Let the waffling begin.

To me, if he can't decide quickly on wanting to be in Green Bay, to hell with him. Trade him and move on.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-05-2022, 07:59 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/aaron-rodgers-specific-destinations-place-045058307.html

Anti-Polar Bear
03-05-2022, 09:00 AM
Green Bay has always been cold and dull. With the influx of the Blacks from the MKE, Green Bay is also now dark. Who the fuck would desire to spend the spring (basically late winter in Wisconsin, where the cold winds of winter remain active) and early summer in such a cold, dark and dull city?

Redneck Favre would rather spend the spring and summer killing snakes on his oddity of a southern Mississippi mansion. It’s obvious that sophisticated Butte would rather be traveling ‘round the world.

I say, keep Butte in the Green and Musta Yella, and let him travel. Past two off seasons, Butte attended exactly 0 OTA practice. Proceeded to win MVP in both seasons. Butte is at the point of his career where he ain’t need no stinky OTAs.

Fritz
03-05-2022, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=Joemailman;1111839]Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

With all eyes on #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers and his future, here is the latest: Sources say Rodgers is truly torn on where he wants to play in 2022. While many in the NFL expect him to return

Better "where" than "whether." At least, if he's going to play, the Packers will get something after all this bated breath and offseason drama. Either another year or two with Rodgers, or a bunch of draft picks.

texaspackerbacker
03-05-2022, 01:40 PM
I tend to think he has known for quite a while that he's staying in Green Bay and probably has told the Packers brass too. However, he's probably just fucking with the minds of the God damned media pukes. Good for him if that is the case.

Joemailman
03-05-2022, 03:50 PM
Michael Silver
@MikeSilver
Today Packers LT David Bakhtiari is getting married in California. Aaron Rodgers is set to officiate it. Matt LaFleur will be there. Rodgers is likely to tell the Packers what he wants to do by Tuesday afternoon. Timing is kinda wild.

texaspackerbacker
03-05-2022, 05:06 PM
Reverend Rodgers now? hahahaha. Another potential career if he retires.

The answer is "I Do". For $200, what is the question?

call_me_ishmael
03-05-2022, 07:51 PM
Rodgers clearly spent way too much time learning from Favre. Let the waffling begin.

To me, if he can't decide quickly on wanting to be in Green Bay, to hell with him. Trade him and move on.

I tend to agree. Enough of this silliness.

Rastak
03-05-2022, 09:11 PM
Reverend Rodgers now? hahahaha. Another potential career if he retires.

The answer is "I Do". For $200, what is the question?

Good on Tex, my nemesis since 1999. Spot on.

Fritz
03-06-2022, 10:50 AM
Michael Silver
@MikeSilver
Today Packers LT David Bakhtiari is getting married in California. Aaron Rodgers is set to officiate it. Matt LaFleur will be there. Rodgers is likely to tell the Packers what he wants to do by Tuesday afternoon. Timing is kinda wild.

Well, it looks like - if Rodgers holds true to his word - that we'll know by Tuesday.

Maybe he's having a hard time deciding because he doesn't have anyone to talk to about this. Family? Nope, he's shut them out totally. A wife or girlfriend? Nope.

But now that he's a reverend, maybe he can ask God what he/she/they/it thinks.

King Friday
03-06-2022, 12:20 PM
I'm sure Rodgers will announce his intentions on McAfee this week...so Tue seems like the day.

ThunderDan
03-06-2022, 01:18 PM
I'm sure Rodgers will announce his intentions on McAfee this week...so Tue seems like the day.

I can only imagine Tex’s head exploding if ARod says he wants to play somewhere else next year.

bobblehead
03-06-2022, 02:26 PM
Well, it looks like - if Rodgers holds true to his word - that we'll know by Tuesday.

Maybe he's having a hard time deciding because he doesn't have anyone to talk to about this. Family? Nope, he's shut them out totally. A wife or girlfriend? Nope.

But now that he's a reverend, maybe he can ask God what he/she/they/it thinks.
God has a long track record of recommending athletes sign with the team offering the most money.

Joemailman
03-06-2022, 04:31 PM
Dale Lolley
@dlolley_pgh

So, reports out of Denver are that the Broncos are ready to offer the 9th pick this year, their second-round pick this year and next year’s first for Aaron Rodgers. To beat that, the Steelers would have to offer more. Anyone really believe that’s happening? Or prudent?

Not enough.

George Cumby
03-06-2022, 07:41 PM
God has a long track record of recommending athletes sign with the team offering the most money.

ROFLMAO

George Cumby
03-06-2022, 07:42 PM
Dale Lolley
@dlolley_pgh

So, reports out of Denver are that the Broncos are ready to offer the 9th pick this year, their second-round pick this year and next year’s first for Aaron Rodgers. To beat that, the Steelers would have to offer more. Anyone really believe that’s happening? Or prudent?

Not enough.

Gotta' throw in another proven player, at the least.

King Friday
03-06-2022, 08:56 PM
Gotta' throw in another proven player, at the least.

If Rodgers demands to go to Denver, the Packers don't have much of a choice. Two firsts and a second are a steep price for a guy who is likely to only play 2 more seasons. Getting more would be nice, but I'm not sure the Packers would be in a position to play hardball.

Now, if Denver also wants to get Adams, then you have the potential to see more come over as it will be easier for the Packers to just let Adams go...getting the draft pick compensation plus the added sweetener in the Rodgers trade.

call_me_ishmael
03-06-2022, 09:31 PM
If Rodgers demands to go to Denver, the Packers don't have much of a choice. Two firsts and a second are a steep price for a guy who is likely to only play 2 more seasons. Getting more would be nice, but I'm not sure the Packers would be in a position to play hardball.

Now, if Denver also wants to get Adams, then you have the potential to see more come over as it will be easier for the Packers to just let Adams go...getting the draft pick compensation plus the added sweetener in the Rodgers trade.

I agree with all of this.

Fritz
03-07-2022, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=Joemailman;1111903]Dale Lolley
@dlolley_pgh

So, reports out of Denver are that the Broncos are ready to offer the 9th pick this year, their second-round pick this year and next year

Tony Oday
03-07-2022, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=Joemailman;1111903]Dale Lolley
@dlolley_pgh

So, reports out of Denver are that the Broncos are ready to offer the 9th pick this year, their second-round pick this year and next year

Not even close to enough.

Joemailman
03-07-2022, 02:56 PM
Jason Wilde
@jasonjwilde
Today’s
@WildeAndTausch
Twitter poll: So, Aaron Rodgers goes to the #Packers — after all the team has done to keep him — and says, “Trade me to Denver.”

If you’re #Gutey, what do YOU do? Grovel, beg and fight to keep him, or do you get mad and say, “Fine. Vaya con dios,” to him?

Grovel, beg, fight. 12.9%
Say fine and let him go. 87.1%

Teamcheez1
03-07-2022, 03:29 PM
Now I read the Packers have made a market-altering offer to keep Rodgers. MLF and Gute are going down with the ship if Rodgers stays and they don’t win a SB.

Jereamiah
03-07-2022, 05:37 PM
I sincerley hope they offer Rodgers that "market-altering deal." :)

Bretsky
03-07-2022, 08:16 PM
My Gosh GET THIS SHIT DONE ERIN and make up your f'ckin mind Karen, Erin, or whoever you are trying to be while trying to sound smarter than the entire universe with your messages.

Make up your mind Queenie

Joemailman
03-07-2022, 08:24 PM
My Gosh GET THIS SHIT DONE ERIN and make up your f'ckin mind Karen, Erin, or whoever you are trying to be while trying to sound smarter than the entire universe with your messages.

Make up your mind Queenie

This is reminding me of 2008. At first I was sure Favre would return to Packers. But as time wore on with no announcement, I started to have doubts.

Bretsky
03-07-2022, 08:30 PM
This is reminding me of 2008. At first I was sure Favre would return to Packers. But as time wore on with no announcement, I started to have doubts.

SOUNDS LIKE KAREN/ERIN/Queenie is not giving GB any warm and fuzzies and now they are offering him the market altering deal. If that is the case, they'll just lose more players or piss away the future more.

Gotta win a championship or brining back SHERIN is a mistake

ThunderDan
03-07-2022, 10:14 PM
Tomorrow is the tag deadline. I am assuming we will tag Adams.

call_me_ishmael
03-07-2022, 10:17 PM
Now I read the Packers have made a market-altering offer to keep Rodgers. MLF and Gute are going down with the ship if Rodgers stays and they don’t win a SB.

Not a chance. I believe they've done the calculus of going 13-3 for a couple years vs 3-13.

Joemailman
03-07-2022, 10:28 PM
Rodgers has denied he was looking for a contract that would make him the highest paid player ever. I suspect the market altering contract offer, if it exists, might have more to do with the amount of guaranteed money than the overall dollars.

texaspackerbacker
03-07-2022, 11:08 PM
I can only imagine Tex’s head exploding if ARod says he wants to play somewhere else next year.

I can imagine the heads of various shitheads in here exploding if/when it goes the other way. It seems likely we'll find out tomorrow, although it wouldn't surprise me if we don't find out also.

Fosco33
03-08-2022, 07:14 AM
I have a feeling he stays w/ Pack. But if we can get massive value for him and Tae - I’d pull the trigger now.

Fritz
03-08-2022, 07:37 AM
I can imagine the heads of various shitheads in here exploding if/when it goes the other way. It seems likely we'll find out tomorrow, although it wouldn't surprise me if we don't find out also.

Rodgers kept saying he would make a decision so everyone had a chance to get houses in order; free agency starts March 16th, and franchise tagging begins today.

I don't think waiting until March 16th gives the Packers much chance to do well in free agency, with their own impending free agents or any others, as they will have this huge unknown hanging over their heads until the last minute. That's why so many of us, myself included, thought March 8th was a more likely date - it would give the Packers a chance to figure out what to do with Adams.

If Rodgers is coming back, it's in his best interest to let the Packers know soon. Very soon. If he's not coming back, he could stretch this out until just before free agency.

Either way, his promise to decide quickly is looking like yet another "I'm-smarter-than-everyone-in-the-room" maneuver. Sure, "quickly" is a relative term. And I don't think he exactly gave a date. But he implied it would not bleed into mid-March, yet if anyone calls him on it, he's got plausible deniability.

I am hoping today's the day. It would be logical to do so. But logic is not driving this - there's a lot of emotion in deciding where someone wants to work and live.

I just know it's getting old.

ThunderDan
03-08-2022, 09:17 AM

Sorry to disappoint you Tex but I believe ARod will be back next year. So nothing is going to happen to my head one way or the other.

You on the other hand, your head will be spinning if ARod says he wont play on the Packers ever again and wants a trade.

The Packers supposedly have made the monster deal to try and keep him. It seems like it is back on ARod again.

bobblehead
03-08-2022, 09:28 AM
Rodgers kept saying he would make a decision so everyone had a chance to get houses in order; free agency starts March 16th, and franchise tagging begins today.

I don't think waiting until March 16th gives the Packers much chance to do well in free agency, with their own impending free agents or any others, as they will have this huge unknown hanging over their heads until the last minute. That's why so many of us, myself included, thought March 8th was a more likely date - it would give the Packers a chance to figure out what to do with Adams.

If Rodgers is coming back, it's in his best interest to let the Packers know soon. Very soon. If he's not coming back, he could stretch this out until just before free agency.

Either way, his promise to decide quickly is looking like yet another "I'm-smarter-than-everyone-in-the-room" maneuver. Sure, "quickly" is a relative term. And I don't think he exactly gave a date. But he implied it would not bleed into mid-March, yet if anyone calls him on it, he's got plausible deniability.

I am hoping today's the day. It would be logical to do so. But logic is not driving this - there's a lot of emotion in deciding where someone wants to work and live.

I just know it's getting old.

This is the only thing that has happened so far that makes me think he might leave. By dragging this out he compromises the teams ability to field a competitive team around him next year. He has to know that.

call_me_ishmael
03-08-2022, 10:29 AM
I mean he's under contract. Kinda BS for sure. He is such a wank, but a talented wank.

There's no way he's going on TV saying he's leaving to go do something else IMO, so it'll likely either resigning a new contract today or there will be a press release that they mutually agreed to part ways because Aaron wants to try something else at this stage of his life - lots of warm fuzzies. I suspect we find out today or he looks bad.

call_me_ishmael
03-08-2022, 10:30 AM
Whoa, new 4 year deal. 153 guaranteed so he is here at least 3 years.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1501232835486703625

King Friday
03-08-2022, 10:38 AM
Gute is Rodgers' bitch.

Teamcheez1
03-08-2022, 10:41 AM
What a waste of money. I don’t see the results getting any better in the next 4 years.

call_me_ishmael
03-08-2022, 10:42 AM
Wow, I'm excited personally. Pretty cool to see him finish his career in GB. Nothing against Jordan or anything - but I just think it's wishful thinking to think they can be more effective with him than Rodgers given the way Rodgers has played the past three years.

A question I have is how the system will evolve over time. I personally believe Rodgers is at his best when he gets rid of the ball quickly the Packers run their "small ball" offense. I wonder how they can blend those elements - which require less movement from the QB spot - w/ the LaFleur system & the Rodgers system (which I, as a niave idiot who knows very little about football, don't care for lol).

Rastak
03-08-2022, 10:43 AM
duplicate news

Fosco33
03-08-2022, 10:46 AM
In some ways it’s good. But can we really tag Adams and pay him at least 20m a year - up to 27 im hearing.

Or does ARod know he just screwed the packers and we’ll be 10win and pray kinda team for a few remaining years… that’s a lot of moola

ThunderDan
03-08-2022, 10:54 AM
In some ways it’s good. But can we really tag Adams and pay him at least 20m a year - up to 27 im hearing.

Or does ARod know he just screwed the packers and we’ll be 10win and pray kinda team for a few remaining years… that’s a lot of moola

So much for the home team discount and trying to be able to bring in different pieces with the savings.

ThunderDan
03-08-2022, 10:59 AM
I guess this just shows that ARod has always been all about ARod. I guess I can't blame him from the taking care of myself side of the business.

As a Packer fan, this sucks. ARod is always the first at the money trough even though he talks a mean game of being there to help the team.

Joemailman
03-08-2022, 11:03 AM
��️at McAfee@PatMcAfeeShow

News of a “4 year $200,000,000 Million deal” is not accurate… according to my sources

call_me_ishmael
03-08-2022, 11:04 AM

This comment confuses me. I don't think Aaron thinks he screws the Packers unless he retires next year or something and then they're SOL on the guaranteed money. We shall see what the deal ultimately looks like.

Upnorth
03-08-2022, 11:05 AM
Is it just me or does this help trade him? Like in 3 years hos cap hit is 65m then 70m.
That will be probably 20% of the cap
If We Dont trade him we are so fucked.
Also by by Adams.
Package them together to Denver. 3 1sts a 2nd and a player.
Before seeing that contract I had hope.

call_me_ishmael
03-08-2022, 11:07 AM
It's going to be fine. I am more worried about cash flow than the cap. As long as the Packers can afford loading up the money as much as possible from a cash flow perspective, they'll be just fine with the cap. At some point the bill will come due and they'll blow it up and stink for a year. Then they'll be back to great shape and rebuilding. It's *good* to suck for a year or two when rebuilding. Load up on talent. The show goes on.

My suspicion is the Packers have known for awhile. The fact he was at a wedding with Packers brass this weeekend would have been hella awkward if they didn't know or thought he was leaving.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-08-2022, 11:08 AM
I guess this just shows that ARod has always been all about ARod. I guess I can't blame him from the taking care of myself side of the business.

As a Packer fan, this sucks. ARod is always the first at the money trough even though he talks a mean game of being there to help the team.

Why does it suck? You’re a hotshot CPA, aren’t you? You should know that so long as cash flow keeps flowing, the cap can always be cooked. Butte can be made the highest paid QB. And Fresno Freak can be made the highest paid WR. And J-Alex can be made the highest paid CB. Cook the fucking cap.

The Packers have something like $600M sitting in offshore banks earning interest faster than the speed of fuck. Networks are about to throw billions at the NFL. Cash flow ain’t a problem, hombre.

Joemailman
03-08-2022, 11:22 AM
🅿️at McAfee@PatMcAfeeShow

BREAKING: According to my sources.. @AaronRodgers12 will officially be returning to the Green Bay Packers.

There is no deal in place currently but there is said to be a Cap Friendly deal on the way.

Retirement was a real consideration & in the end

🗣 HE IS BACK WITH THE PACK

Joemailman
03-08-2022, 11:32 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNV12HMXoAE2Z5H?format=jpg&name=small

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-08-2022, 11:39 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNV12HMXoAE2Z5H?format=jpg&name=small

CBS reporting 4 years 200 million, not a fan, but I'll still root for the Packers..

ThunderDan
03-08-2022, 11:56 AM
��️at McAfee@PatMcAfeeShow

BREAKING: According to my sources.. @AaronRodgers12 will officially be returning to the Green Bay Packers.

There is no deal in place currently but there is said to be a Cap Friendly deal on the way.

Retirement was a real consideration & in the end

�� HE IS BACK WITH THE PACK

I hope you are right about the cap friendly part.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-08-2022, 12:01 PM
I hope you are right about the cap friendly part.

CBS said 21 million...

Tony Oday
03-08-2022, 12:39 PM
CBS is wrong

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-08-2022, 01:19 PM
CBS is wrong

Really? Well, other outlets reporting it as well. What you got?

Tony Oday
03-08-2022, 01:27 PM
Pat McAffee

Joemailman
03-08-2022, 01:31 PM
It's possible the 4 years for 200 million is correct AND it's a cap friendly deal for 2022.

Joemailman
03-08-2022, 01:45 PM
Aaron Rodgers
@AaronRodgers12

Hey everyone, just wanted to clear some things up; YES I will be playing with the @packers next year, however, reports about me signing a contract are inaccurate, as are the supposed terms of the contract I “signed”. I’m very excited to be back ���� #year18❤️

Bretsky
03-08-2022, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=Joemailman;1111994]Aaron Rodgers
@AaronRodgers12

Hey everyone, just wanted to clear some things up; YES I will be playing with the @packers next year, however, reports about me signing a contract are inaccurate, as are the supposed terms of the contract I

Classic Drivel
AROD general message saying nothing; who knows if it's accurate

King Friday
03-08-2022, 01:52 PM
This comment confuses me. I don't think Aaron thinks he screws the Packers unless he retires next year or something and then they're SOL on the guaranteed money. We shall see what the deal ultimately looks like.

He's not screwing the Packers. He's screwing his own chances of winning another title. I really don't think Rodgers NEEDS more money. He's got enough in the bank now to last quite a few lifetimes, and with his difficulty in relationships, he may only have to worry about his.

texaspackerbacker
03-08-2022, 02:54 PM
HALLELUJAH!!! I watched Mcafee's account of the situation, and as usual what's coming from the media is speculation at best, bullshit at worst. But the bottom line is, as I for one said all along, the most extreme of good news is now a near sure thing. With the old cap number at $46 million, there is plenty of potential for a major decrease.

It's kinda comical to see some heads of idiots exploding in here, to use the term of one of those idiots. This deal as it's shaping up and Rodgers coming back in general for significant years is no surprise to me and shouldn't be a surprise to anybody with a lick of sense regarding the cap. Furthermore, bringing Rodgers back at very least solidifies excellence for whatever number of years he plays for Green Bay - Super Bowl? not guaranteed obviously, as we've managed to not make it these other years. As much as I would love one or multiple Packer Super Bowls, though, I can easily get along without that if we get 3 or 4 or 5 or more great seasons.

One more thing I want to take credit for getting right, I thought and said all along that the alternative was NOT Rodgers playing somewhere else. It was if he decided to retire and pursue any of the many other options he has. Thankfully, I guess he decided all of that will still be just as good x number of years in the future.

So whine on, fools and shitheads - several of ya'all have already gotten started hahahahaha. This is a GREAT day (apparently) - as expected.

Fritz
03-08-2022, 02:55 PM
Is it just me or does this help trade him? Like in 3 years hos cap hit is 65m then 70m.
That will be probably 20% of the cap
If We Dont trade him we are so fucked.
Also by by Adams.
Package them together to Denver. 3 1sts a 2nd and a player.
Before seeing that contract I had hope.

When I see what Seattle got for Russell Wilson - younger, but not as good as Rodgers overall - which was two firsts, two seconds, a fifth, Noah Fant and Shelby Harris plus Drew Lock, for Wilson and a fourth - I wish the Pack had made that trade. I think if they had the money to re-sign many of their own guys fter trading Rodgers, plus the injection of youth in the two young players plus the #9 overall pick this year, they would have been competetive, with a good defense, really good, a good running game, and better special teams.

The future would've looked bright. But now they're going to "run it back" with a slightly less talented crew next year (no way they keep Rasul Douglas and Campbell and so on). Can they really get to a SB that way? I suppose we'll see, and some would argue that they have a better chance than if they'd traded Rodgers. But what about two or three years from now?

I do think that if Rodgers has committed to play two more seasons that tells us the organization is not high on Jordan Love. If they really thought he was the next Lynn Dickey, even, they might've encouraged Rodgers to go down the road. I don't know if he's just going to be a first-round backup, but I guess Mitch Trubisky was, too.

George Cumby
03-08-2022, 03:03 PM
When I see what Seattle got for Russell Wilson - younger, but not as good as Rodgers overall - which was two firsts, two seconds, a fifth, Noah Fant and Shelby Harris plus Drew Lock, for Wilson and a fourth - I wish the Pack had made that trade.

Agree.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-08-2022, 03:42 PM
HALLELUJAH!!! I watched Mcafee's account of the situation, and as usual what's coming from the media is speculation at best, bullshit at worst. But the bottom line is, as I for one said all along, the most extreme of good news is now a near sure thing. With the old cap number at $46 million, there is plenty of potential for a major decrease.

It's kinda comical to see some heads of idiots exploding in here, to use the term of one of those idiots. This deal as it's shaping up and Rodgers coming back in general for significant years is no surprise to me and shouldn't be a surprise to anybody with a lick of sense regarding the cap. Furthermore, bringing Rodgers back at very least solidifies excellence for whatever number of years he plays for Green Bay - Super Bowl? not guaranteed obviously, as we've managed to not make it these other years. As much as I would love one or multiple Packer Super Bowls, though, I can easily get along without that if we get 3 or 4 or 5 or more great seasons.

One more thing I want to take credit for getting right, I thought and said all along that the alternative was NOT Rodgers playing somewhere else. It was if he decided to retire and pursue any of the many other options he has. Thankfully, I guess he decided all of that will still be just as good x number of years in the future.

So whine on, fools and shitheads - several of ya'all have already gotten started hahahahaha. This is a GREAT day (apparently) - as expected.

The value of this signing won't be known until next year at the earliest. If the packers win a super bowl, it is a good signing, if they fail once again, it is a horseshit signing.

RashanGary
03-08-2022, 03:57 PM
It looks like the end of Brees type situation. Good team. In it. But no titles.

texaspackerbacker
03-08-2022, 04:40 PM
RG, it kinda seems what you said in the other thread is just about diametrically the opposite of what you are saying here hahahaha.

RashanGary
03-08-2022, 04:43 PM
RG, it kinda seems what you said in the other thread is just about diametrically the opposite of what you are saying here hahahaha.

It is the same. You will still remember the MVP Rodgers years without a ring. I do not know if the Packers will be a team of the 2020s. But you will remember these years.

Massive J
03-08-2022, 06:59 PM
Agree.

Absolutely.

Bretsky
03-08-2022, 09:18 PM

You get ABSOLUTE CREDIT for predicting AROD's destination every step along the way
But
You also get credit for being the MVI, or the Most Valuable Idiot in this forum for blaming the GD media every step along the way when it was Rodgers created all of this drama and then after hinting how all of this would be resolved much sooner played the waiting game, and his poker game ended up getting him exactly what he wanted. I give Sherin credit for all of this. In the end he cares about three and they are a total of 9 letters

Me
Myself
I

Bretsky
03-08-2022, 09:22 PM
The value of this signing won't be known until next year at the earliest. If the packers win a super bowl, it is a good signing, if they fail once again, it is a horseshit signing.

THIS

If the Packers could get close to what the Broncos got for Russell, it's a tough call.

My very slight bias was to keep Rodgers at a fair deal; but whether we win a Super Bowl with Rodgers will only tell if it's the right call.

It would be nice if Rodgers would be the MVP of the playoffs instead of shitting on himself as he has done in the playoffs the last two years. The Truth has been painful lately

bobblehead
03-08-2022, 09:30 PM
You get ABSOLUTE CREDIT for predicting AROD's destination every step along the way
But
You also get credit for being the MVI, or the Most Valuable Idiot in this forum for blaming the GD media every step along the way when it was Rodgers created all of this drama and then after hinting how all of this would be resolved much sooner played the waiting game, and his poker game ended up getting him exactly what he wanted. I give Sherin credit for all of this. In the end he cares about three and they are a total of 9 letters

Me
Myself
I

Someone else here has predicted Rodgers would never leave the packers back in April of 2021 if I recall. I never thought it was the best move for the team, but I never doubted it would go down pretty close to the way it has. We have a 2 year window with less of a team than we had last year when we went one and done.

texaspackerbacker
03-09-2022, 12:12 AM
But

Me
Myself
I

Did you watch Mcafee today - particularly what he had to say about the "GD media"? I stand by every negative thing I ever said about those bastards, including today's reports about the contract that at best are speculation they get lucky on the accuracy of and at worst, pure made up bullshit.

The idiocy is (not necessarily you, Bretsky) the all world fools in here gulping the negative media shit about Rodgers - totally bogus and publicly agreed with by nobody on the Packers team or staff.

I look forward to seeing the details in coming days. I actually hope the media shitheads guessed something close to right on the amount and duration details.

If you want to give me credit for getting it right about Rodgers staying in Green Bay, I'll take it - and share it with 22 of the 38 people in the poll. What I really want to claim credit for, though, is the cap situation, which there has been so much irrational commenting about. Mark my words, we retain just about everybody worth retaining, and everything will be fine including in the future.

Bretsky
03-09-2022, 02:12 AM
Did you watch Mcafee today - particularly what he had to say about the "GD media"? I stand by every negative thing I ever said about those bastards, including today's reports about the contract that at best are speculation they get lucky on the accuracy of and at worst, pure made up bullshit.

The idiocy is (not necessarily you, Bretsky) the all world fools in here gulping the negative media shit about Rodgers - totally bogus and publicly agreed with by nobody on the Packers team or staff.

I look forward to seeing the details in coming days. I actually hope the media shitheads guessed something close to right on the amount and duration details.

If you want to give me credit for getting it right about Rodgers staying in Green Bay, I'll take it - and share it with 22 of the 38 people in the poll. What I really want to claim credit for, though, is the cap situation, which there has been so much irrational commenting about. Mark my words, we retain just about everybody worth retaining, and everything will be fine including in the future.

Tex,

Macafee is a tool; he's a know nothing tool who's fed questions by AROD so AROD can give us what he chooses. He's the last guy I'd listen to because he wont' ask anything AROD doesn't want to freely give us. He's not interested in the truth; he just throws the slowpitch softball questions/comments and the Rodgers gets to decide which field to hit it to.

I respect AROD letting us know he's staying with GB, but then his comment about things not being accurate without offering anything more is the classic Rodgers I've become used to. I will cheer for him intensely as long as he's a GB Packer, but he's a snarky little primadonna prick that wants to be smarter than everybody else, be right about everything, and wants his image to reflect perfection regardless of what each individual scenario smells like.

Regardless I'm glad our regular season MVP is returning. Now I hope he'll start playing like one in the playoffs before our time runs out.

REGARDING PLAYERS LOSSES, I too think Z is gone, I think At least one and probably both Douglas and our Pro Bowl LB are gone. That's where it starts that we lose at least two out of three of them.

Do you disagree or are you arguing we're going to save all three of them ?

I don't care about Cobb, and I think it's possible they keep Crosby and Tonyan on one year deals. I would not be surprised either way on those three.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-09-2022, 05:39 AM
Someone else here has predicted Rodgers would never leave the packers back in April of 2021 if I recall. I never thought it was the best move for the team, but I never doubted it would go down pretty close to the way it has. We have a 2 year window with less of a team than we had last year when we went one and done.

I just don't know what management was thinking. It just looks like 'blow your wad' deal to me. One thing is for sure, Seattle fans are feeling good today..

Fritz
03-09-2022, 07:37 AM
This part of what Bretsky wrote is exactly how I feel about Rodgers and this situation:

"I will cheer for him . . . as long as he's a GB Packer, but he's a snarky little primadonna prick that wants to be smarter than everybody else, be right about everything, and wants his image to reflect perfection regardless of what each individual scenario smells like.

Now I hope he'll start playing like one in the playoffs before our time runs out."

I also agree with Old But Not Dead Yet - while Packer fans may feel better than Seattle fans next season, how will Packer fans feel two or three years from now when the team is gutted by all this money being pushed forward, and Rodgers is gone? Seattle at that point, if they draft well, will have two number one picks (one number nine overall this year) and two second round picks, and a young talented tight end. I think they will be emerging as a power in the NFC. That is, if they use those picks wisely.

Joemailman
03-09-2022, 08:08 AM
I just don't know what management was thinking. It just looks like 'blow your wad' deal to me. One thing is for sure, Seattle fans are feeling good today..

They might be feeling good. But the feeling won't last long if they can't find a quality QB. The reason Denver gave up all of those picks for Wilson is that they've been trying, and failing, to find one since Manning retired.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-09-2022, 08:16 AM
They might be feeling good. But the feeling won't last long if they can't find a quality QB. The reason Denver gave up all of those picks for Wilson is that they've been trying, and failing, to find one since Manning retired.

Maybe, but they sure have a hell of a haul to help them get to the promised land..

Fritz
03-09-2022, 09:17 AM
I realize my opinion on all this stems from my upbringing in the 1970's. I like teams that have ferocious defenses and can run the ball well. Hell, it took me about five years to get over Mike Holmgren using short passes as a substitute for a run game in short-yardage situations.

So it makes sense that I'd prefer the haul Seattle got for Wilson (yes, he's younger but Rodgers is better, so I think the deal would've been about the same) to the Packers keeping Rodgers. My thinking is they pretty much had a "dream team" this year and Rodgers pooped the bed at the key moment - just as he'd done the year before. So how is another year, or even two, of Rodgers with what likely will be a less talented supporting cast get them any further? Plus Rodgers is getting older and his legs heavier. He's not going to improve, unless he can get over throwing the ball only to Davante Adams at clutch times in playoff games.

But I can see Joe's point, too. I get it.

George Cumby
03-09-2022, 09:26 AM
I want to see him traded for a King's Ransom, but I think Gutey blinks and takes the easy way out.

I hate being right.

I think 12 and the Packers give us a couple more good seasons but no ring and then a complete rebuild when all is said and done.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-09-2022, 09:32 AM
I hate being right.

I think 12 and the Packers give us a couple more good seasons but no ring and then a complete rebuild when all is said and done.

The Packers were -yo, OBJ!- and are a bona fide #2 WR away from winning the ring. Promised land is closer than you think.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-09-2022, 10:29 AM
I hate being right.

Yup, I agree, alas I just wish the complete rebuild started now..

Joemailman
03-09-2022, 10:48 AM
Yup, I agree, alas I just wish the complete rebuild started now..

Lighten up guys.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a1/38/c0/a138c05b849d6f5e13deb904c6a2a5bb.jpg

George Cumby
03-09-2022, 11:40 AM
^ Oh, it'll be fun and entertaining because they will win a boatload of games, but Rodgers has shown he doesn't peak when the lights are brightest.

I'd rather tear the bandaid off and rebuild now.

George Cumby
03-09-2022, 11:42 AM
The Packers were -yo, OBJ!- and are a bona fide #2 WR away from winning the ring. Promised land is closer than you think.

Ok. What reality is this? You're defending Butte from me? 'TF, over?

They should've beaten the Niners, they probably would've beaten the Rams and they probably would have beaten the Bengals.

But they didn't get a chance, because Butte fades in big games.

"Big-Game Butte Fade", I like it.

run pMc
03-09-2022, 11:52 AM
I think he's got two good years left before injuries hit or the wheels fall off. It's great he's back, but I think they're paying a hell of a lot for him. I think there will be void years added to this to drop the cap hit, but I have doubt he'll play to the end of this contract (in which case the cap hit will accelerate). The cap will make big jumps after this season which will help absorb it but they are going to be carrying a lot of dead money which will put them at a competitive disadvantage when trying to sign/keep players in the future (Jaire, Gary, Savage, Jenkins). They will still field a talented team but it will take a LOT of luck and good personnel moves to get them to the SB. Z and Cobb will be gone at their current contracts, and I don't see them able to keep both Rasul and Campbell.

I don't think they actively shop Love but they will listen to any offers. My guess is they are fine letting him sit and learn for another year. By the end of this upcoming season they will probably know what/where he is in his development.

Every team has holes and a elite-level franchise QB is a very rare commodity, so it makes sense to keep them if you can. Paying an aging QB a big contract is a big risk, pushing large amounts of money out to the future to sign that QB presents a LOT of risk. Unless they are extremely lucky in finding HOF #3 soon, I expect a few very lean years in the near future. Those lean seasons tend to lose GM/HC's their jobs, but if they precede that time with a SB and the fan base knows you're rebuilding they might get more rope.

Maybe the plan for when Rodgers hangs it up is to rip the bandaid off by having no talent and no cap space for a year.

Joemailman
03-09-2022, 12:09 PM
^ Oh, it'll be fun and entertaining because they will win a boatload of games, but Rodgers has shown he doesn't peak when the lights are brightest.

I'd rather tear the bandaid off and rebuild now.

But that doesn't mean they can't make it work with Rodgers. The last time the Packers won the NFCCG was similar to the loss to the 49ers. Rodgers was great early and then sucked the rest of the game. They beat the Bears because the rest of the team played well. As bad as Rodgers played against the 49ers after the 1st drive, they likely win that game if they just get that punt off. The thing is , even though Rodgers doesn't always play well in the playoffs, having Rodgers at QB all year gets you there. Having Rodgers gives you an 80-90% chance of making the playoffs. If you're in the playoffs, you have a chance. And with Brady retiring and Russell Wilson traded to the AFC, the route through the NFC playoffs probably just got easier.

Fritz
03-09-2022, 12:32 PM
The Packers were -yo, Aaron - just throwing-to-the-open-receiver-away from winning the ring. Promised land is closer than you think.

FIFY

texaspackerbacker
03-09-2022, 12:56 PM
Tex,

Macafee is a tool; he's a know nothing tool who's fed questions by AROD so AROD can give us what he chooses. He's the last guy I'd listen to because he wont' ask anything AROD doesn't want to freely give us. He's not interested in the truth; he just throws the slowpitch softball questions/comments and the Rodgers gets to decide which field to hit it to.

I respect AROD letting us know he's staying with GB, but then his comment about things not being accurate without offering anything more is the classic Rodgers I've become used to. I will cheer for him intensely as long as he's a GB Packer, but he's a snarky little primadonna prick that wants to be smarter than everybody else, be right about everything, and wants his image to reflect perfection regardless of what each individual scenario smells like.

Regardless I'm glad our regular season MVP is returning. Now I hope he'll start playing like one in the playoffs before our time runs out.

REGARDING PLAYERS LOSSES, I too think Z is gone, I think At least one and probably both Douglas and our Pro Bowl LB are gone. That's where it starts that we lose at least two out of three of them.

Do you disagree or are you arguing we're going to save all three of them ?

I don't care about Cobb, and I think it's possible they keep Crosby and Tonyan on one year deals. I would not be surprised either way on those three.

I've got a lot more faith in what Mcafee says than any of the real "journalist" pukes, especially when he says he got the info directly from Rodgers - a bridge Mcafee definitely would not burn by lying about it. WHY would you or anybody else automatically believe any of those media shitheads?

It really seems like you're swallowing the idiocy some are spewing about Rodgers' attitude. Have you seen or heard literally any evidence from anybody in the know - current players, coaches, janitors, etc. - condemning Rodgers or backing up any of the crap spewed about him? And all that is aside from the fact that he's indisputably the best player in the NFL now, probably the GOAT.

As for who if anybody is lost, aside from Zadarius, none of those. Am I arguing that we save Tonyan, MVS, Campbell, Douglas, etc.? a big hell yeah to that. We'd be better off with a new kicker, completely aside from cap issues. I also don't really much care about Cobb, but cutting him and bringing him back cheap would be better than most other cheap alternatives.

As for any dumbasses that still can't comprehend the cap, the team is fully capable to manipulate things and keep any of these worth keeping, and I don't expect any "cap hell" situation down the road either with the obvious cap increases over time. This "complete rebuild" shit is just plain stupid.

Der Lehrer
03-09-2022, 01:17 PM
The best thing about this deal is there will never be a more motivated Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs than one who hears questions about his performance all freaking season. "Is he losing it" got stats that made MVP seasons. He will be worked into a lather with the "yeah, he was the MVP, but..." talk. Nobody performs better with a boulder on his shoulder and he revels in that misery.

If Gute opens the checkbook like he says he will you can lock that trip to Glendale, AZ in as the NFC representative. We will finally have organizational alignment of goals between the club who wants to win and the QB who largely wanted to be known as the best but (sometimes at the expense of being the most successful), in order to bring his actual legacy in line with his perception of what he wants, realistically needs another SB to quiet the critics. He lives to quiet the critics, real or imagined.

George Cumby
03-09-2022, 05:43 PM
Macafee is a tool.

QFT

Upnorth
03-10-2022, 08:35 AM

12 kept us in it for 1 1/2 quarters then dillion got injured and we were nothing, nothing, on o.
Special teams lost the game. But 12 kinda did as well. His refusal to play with Taylor at rb sealed the deal. Jones vant play every down. That is one proven thing.
I wonder if putting live in for a couple series would have done something. Sf biggest d weakness was CB depth but we never tested it.

Fritz
03-10-2022, 10:10 AM
The best thing about this deal is there will never be a more motivated Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs than one who hears questions about his performance all freaking season. "Is he losing it" got stats that made MVP seasons. He will be worked into a lather with the "yeah, he was the MVP, but..." talk. Nobody performs better with a boulder on his shoulder and he revels in that misery.

If Gute opens the checkbook like he says he will you can lock that trip to Glendale, AZ in as the NFC representative. We will finally have organizational alignment of goals between the club who wants to win and the QB who largely wanted to be known as the best but (sometimes at the expense of being the most successful), in order to bring his actual legacy in line with his perception of what he wants, realistically needs another SB to quiet the critics. He lives to quiet the critics, real or imagined.

Good post here, teacher. And I hope the critics point out, over and over, how often Rodgers, in the playoff game this year, will throw only to Adams. Hell, he wouldn't even throw to Lazard, and supposedly Rodgers trusted him.

Bretsky
03-10-2022, 10:09 PM
I've got a lot more faith in what Mcafee says than any of the real "journalist" pukes, especially when he says he got the info directly from Rodgers - a bridge Mcafee definitely would not burn by lying about it. WHY would you or anybody else automatically believe any of those media shitheads?

It really seems like you're swallowing the idiocy some are spewing about Rodgers' attitude. Have you seen or heard literally any evidence from anybody in the know - current players, coaches, janitors, etc. - condemning Rodgers or backing up any of the crap spewed about him? And all that is aside from the fact that he's indisputably the best player in the NFL now, probably the GOAT.

As for who if anybody is lost, aside from Zadarius, none of those. Am I arguing that we save Tonyan, MVS, Campbell, Douglas, etc.? a big hell yeah to that. We'd be better off with a new kicker, completely aside from cap issues. I also don't really much care about Cobb, but cutting him and bringing him back cheap would be better than most other cheap alternatives.

As for any dumbasses that still can't comprehend the cap, the team is fully capable to manipulate things and keep any of these worth keeping, and I don't expect any "cap hell" situation down the road either with the obvious cap increases over time. This "complete rebuild" shit is just plain stupid.

Going to say it again Tex. Mcafee is a nothing; he's Rodgers Tool. He gives us a small segment of one side of the story. In other words, the small portion that Rodgers wants to put out.

Back when things were clearly ugly with Gutebag and Rodgers, if Gutebag used somebody on a weekly basis after burning all kinds of bridges with regular reporters, I would not value that guy either.

I'm not sure I'm hound Rodges for his attitude; dude wants to play at a high level and win at a high level. Now if you are asking me if he's arrogant, full of himself, deceitful, all knowing, unable to be accept fault......ya....he is. But that doesn't mean we can't cheer for him and appreciate him as the GOAT or one of the GOAT as well. And I think plenty would agree, in and out of the media. A lot of these "media guys" were well thought of before AROD arrived, and they have keep decent relationships with both Packers players and Packer management. They are far better sources than Rodgers Tool IMO. Even Tauscher walks a fine line in how he'll comment sometimes and nobody disliked Tauscher as a media guy.

Last but not least, I wish we could make a friendly bet about the Packers losing players. You seem to think we can keep them all. I can see Tonyan coming back cheap since he was injured. Z is gone but I think we agree on that.

The two floaters you seem to think we will keep are Cambell and Douglas. I wish I could come up with a bet but I would bet you for sure one is good as gone and will sign with another team for more than what we can afford. And I think the odds are slightly greater than 50% that we lose both. If we were neighbors we'd be betting a case of beer or something for the hell of it..lol

I kind of think MVS walks too; if he's going to get 8MIL/year I can't see us wanting to pay near that.

Joemailman
03-10-2022, 10:59 PM
I agree. Z, Douglas and MVS are probably gone. Decent chance of keeping Campbell and Tonyan. Might work out okay for the Packers since Edge, CB and WR are probably the strongest positions in the 2022 draft.

King Friday
03-11-2022, 12:04 PM
This is the one chance Douglas has to cash in. He's not coming back to GB for a discount. The Packers also have a strong CB group. I see no chance of him returning.

Campbell is probably someone the Packers want to keep, so they will make a play there. Other teams will no doubt offer more, but Campbell may be inclined to remain in a good situation at a slight discount if the Packers can at least offer competitive money.

The issue is that everyone's cap space is going up...so guys are going to have the chance to get paid. MVS is a likely casualty because this is also likely his one good chance to get a huge deal. Green Bay does not pay top dollar unless you are nearing the end of your career.

texaspackerbacker
03-11-2022, 01:51 PM
Going to say it again Tex. Mcafee is a nothing; he's Rodgers Tool. He gives us a small segment of one side of the story. In other words, the small portion that Rodgers wants to put out.

Back when things were clearly ugly with Gutebag and Rodgers, if Gutebag used somebody on a weekly basis after burning all kinds of bridges with regular reporters, I would not value that guy either.

I'm not sure I'm hound Rodges for his attitude; dude wants to play at a high level and win at a high level. Now if you are asking me if he's arrogant, full of himself, deceitful, all knowing, unable to be accept fault......ya....he is. But that doesn't mean we can't cheer for him and appreciate him as the GOAT or one of the GOAT as well. And I think plenty would agree, in and out of the media. A lot of these "media guys" were well thought of before AROD arrived, and they have keep decent relationships with both Packers players and Packer management. They are far better sources than Rodgers Tool IMO. Even Tauscher walks a fine line in how he'll comment sometimes and nobody disliked Tauscher as a media guy.

Last but not least, I wish we could make a friendly bet about the Packers losing players. You seem to think we can keep them all. I can see Tonyan coming back cheap since he was injured. Z is gone but I think we agree on that.

The two floaters you seem to think we will keep are Cambell and Douglas. I wish I could come up with a bet but I would bet you for sure one is good as gone and will sign with another team for more than what we can afford. And I think the odds are slightly greater than 50% that we lose both. If we were neighbors we'd be betting a case of beer or something for the hell of it..lol

I kind of think MVS walks too; if he's going to get 8MIL/year I can't see us wanting to pay near that.

hahahahaha McAfee is SOMETHING because he is Rodgers' tool. He's the way we get accurate info about Rodgers unfiltered by the bullshit of the media pukes. I never used to like watching him until he started having Rodgers on regularly either - I can see why you don't like him. But he is what he is - access to Rodgers.

What do you really know of that says Rodgers is "arrogant, full of himself, deceitful, all knowing, unable to be accept fault....." other than what those all world knownothing troublemaking shitheads of the media claim about him? Anything? Tauscher is first and foremost a former Packer with a degree of inside info, not really an outsider idiot media puke. And to my knowledge, Tauscher has never said any of that negative shit about Rodgers.

As for who's coming back, there will be plenty of money/cap space to bring back just about everybody - how many times do I, LaFleur, Gutekunst, and a few responsible well thought out articles need to say that? Even Zadarius, the most likely to be gone, isn't gone yet, which leads me to suspect just maybe there will be money to even bring him back on a restructure. The only way Valdez-Scantling won't be back is if some team breaks the bank and makes him such an outlandish offer that it's wiser for the Packers not to match it. IMO, Campbell and Douglas are almost certain to be retained. Of course we keep Jaire and Davante. I think we let Crosby retire - addition by subtraction.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-12-2022, 05:12 AM
I wonder if Butte skis.

texaspackerbacker
03-12-2022, 03:53 PM
I would think there is something in NFL contracts against that hahahaha. Seems like I read sometime years ago it's a contract violation to ride a motorcycle.

ThunderDan
03-13-2022, 11:52 AM
Still waiting on ARod’s contract. Not sure how that isn’t done yet.

I am not sure how the front office thinks it can wait until the last second and still deal with all the players that need to be “adjusted” also before the new year starts.

bobblehead
03-13-2022, 12:42 PM

I am not sure how the front office thinks it can wait until the last second and still deal with all the players that need to be “adjusted” also before the new year starts.

Damn, screwed up my post. What if This is all a big plot by ARod to fuck Gutes over. Make him jump through all the hoops and then retire anyway. Or demand a trade anyway.

Bretsky
03-13-2022, 12:44 PM

pretty unlikely it's the front office imo

Fritz
03-13-2022, 01:29 PM
Damn, screwed up my post. What if This is all a big plot by ARod to fuck Gutes over. Make him jump through all the hoops and then retire anyway. Or demand a trade anyway.

Over and over we were told that Rodgers had to be the first domino; our mistake perhaps was thinking that once Rodgers decided to stay, the contract would necessarily soon follow.

But as far as I can tell, he has yet to sign any new contract, and so there is no way for Gutekunst to know what kind of cap he has in order to try to sign Campbell and others. I wonder too if he's waiting to see what Rodgers's contract is before he renegotiates with Preston Smith, Billy Turner, et al.

So Rodgers has made his big decision yet it's still a clusterfuck. This is all getting so old.

And I was not encouraged by Joemailman's recent post explaining that Rodgers' regular-season exploits would help the Packers get into good playoff positioning, and that they could still win a SB with him even if he played poorly in the second half of playoff games - it would simply require really good defense and ST. I mean, Joe is correct, but it's not heartening to say that you can win a SB in spite of your $50 Mill a year quarterback playing poorly in the playoffs. For that kind of money, you expect closer to Joe Montana than Rex Grossman.

If Rodgers really is worried about his legacy, and he seems to be, he'd take a more team-friendly contract, so he could have as good a supporting cast as possible. At the very least, he'd get this contract donerightnow so Gutekunst has a chance, at least, to re-sign Campbell and be a player in re-signing (or signing) other guys he thinks would help.

But no. The negotiating period starts tomorrow, and still no Rodgers contract.

Sigh.

Bretsky
03-13-2022, 01:53 PM
Over and over we were told that Rodgers had to be the first domino; our mistake perhaps was thinking that once Rodgers decided to stay, the contract would necessarily soon follow.

But as far as I can tell, he has yet to sign any new contract, and so there is no way for Gutekunst to know what kind of cap he has in order to try to sign Campbell and others. I wonder too if he's waiting to see what Rodgers's contract is before he renegotiates with Preston Smith, Billy Turner, et al.

So Rodgers has made his big decision yet it's still a clusterfuck. This is all getting so old.

And I was not encouraged by Joemailman's recent post explaining that Rodgers' regular-season exploits would help the Packers get into good playoff positioning, and that they could still win a SB with him even if he played poorly in the second half of playoff games - it would simply require really good defense and ST. I mean, Joe is correct, but it's not heartening to say that you can win a SB in spite of your $50 Mill a year quarterback playing poorly in the playoffs. For that kind of money, you expect closer to Joe Montana than Rex Grossman.

If Rodgers really is worried about his legacy, and he seems to be, he'd take a more team-friendly contract, so he could have as good a supporting cast as possible. At the very least, he'd get this contract donerightnow so Gutekunst has a chance, at least, to re-sign Campbell and be a player in re-signing (or signing) other guys he thinks would help.

But no. The negotiating period starts tomorrow, and still no Rodgers contract.

Sigh.

It's realy confusing because AROD is so worried with his image and even his closest are having a hard time with some of this. They aren't hammering him but they've stopped defendinig his antics, and yes, that shows there are some flaws here.

In an earlier interview, AROD implied he wanted this worked out ahead of when the franchise period opened, which was several weeks ago. That was just Rodgers talk in the end. Even when it broke he was signing, and sourced stated the terms of the contract, he hid behind his PC (instead of talking with anybody because so many bridges have been bured with media types question AROD not to his liking) and tweeted out he would be staying, BUT the terms were inaccturate...and then offered Nothing Else on what was and what was not accurate.

In the end, I'm sure we'll hear more from his Tool, McAfeee, who Tex is right, is not worthless because he offers something to us ...aka....a small portion of the truth. But Mcafee was a nothing before all of this, and that is why AROD chose him. Any media head for GB worth a penny at some point questioned AROD, hurt his feelings, and now has been banished from any optional interviews.

Wilde has been really really good for a long time, before AROD. He has a great show with Tauscher. When pressed Tausch asked Wilde what he'd ask AROD if he just had one question.
Wilde said early on AROD was so friendly with all, and a pleasure to work with through the good and the bad. But was understanding if his job as well as the media to explore the truth.

Wilde said he'd ask in a summary, what caused all of this change in him the past 10 years . I think we'd all like to know this

call_me_ishmael
03-13-2022, 05:30 PM
How do y’all know a deal isn’t done?

texaspackerbacker
03-13-2022, 07:50 PM
Bretsky, your post above is like a chicken or egg thing. Did Rodgers burn his bridges with the damned media because they kept misrepresenting and disrespecting him? Or did the media disrespect him because he first stopped communicating through them? You and others in here seem way too quick to take the God damned media's side in this. I think I asked this before and never got an answer from you, what proof or evidence has there ever been of Rodgers being selfish, arrogant, or a bad teammate or any of the shit the media and some in here accuse him of?

ThunderDan
03-13-2022, 08:20 PM

ThunderDan
03-13-2022, 08:21 PM
How do y’all know a deal isn’t done?

It has to be reported to the league office,

Bretsky
03-13-2022, 09:22 PM
Bretsky, your post above is like a chicken or egg thing. Did Rodgers burn his bridges with the damned media because they kept misrepresenting and disrespecting him? Or did the media disrespect him because he first stopped communicating through them? You and others in here seem way too quick to take the God damned media's side in this. I think I asked this before and never got an answer from you, what proof or evidence has there ever been of Rodgers being selfish, arrogant, or a bad teammate or any of the shit the media and some in here accuse him of?

Tex,

It could be a combo; once upon a time Rodgers had a good relationship with the media even when they gave him his due, and criticized him. That mentality form AROD imo changed. It's why he picked a zero to represent him. He can make this guy and use him and abuse him as his mouthpiece. I'm not blaiming AROD only, but NO WAY am I blaming the media only. It's time for you to pay attention to the big picture, and just admit.....he's changed.

Listen to the friends he used to have who are in the media; interviewing and doing radio shows. LIsten to his snarky hidden messages from last year; and in the end the media was 100% correct in that he had serious serious serious griped with GB and nearly didn't return last year.
Just hear the data text. It's too obvious

FWIW, I don't know if I consider him a horrible teammate; but I'd be genuinely curious as to how he's viewed by players besides Devante Adams. My guess is overall position; but it would not be a majority by any means iMO

Bretsky
03-13-2022, 09:32 PM
, what proof or evidence has there ever been of Rodgers being selfish, arrogant, or a bad teammate or any of the shit the media and some in here accuse him of?

Do you listen to AROD and the tone of his interviews ? Do you listen to the talk shows among those who cover both the players and GB, and to be quite honest have open communications and positive communications with nearly all of the players ? I'm not going to discount the entire media as being terrible people and AROD as being a flipping Saint. A lot of the media were good people before AROD and still are. I do think it's a combo. Once upon a time AROD had thick skin. He no longer does. So I'd blame both of them undoubtedly for the severing of ties and leaving us stuck with a small portion of the truth that Mcafee is fed.

You know as well as I do the media cannot repeat and give us everything they know. The Packers GM and entire Brass as well as the media has a very soft hand when it comes to AROD; Gute isn't ever going to tell us what really happenged behind closed doors when AROD was unhappy, OR throwing fits OR asking to be traded OR just being difficult.

And good media members have talks with players on and off the record . We're never getting absolutes from anything with these matters.

So our options are to be very aware of the collection of all of the interviews/comments by media and AROD's troll and make a decision, OR just ignore things and choose one side of the other.

call_me_ishmael
03-13-2022, 11:03 PM
It has to be reported to the league office,

For sure but I would imagine they have the basic parameters in place and are working on other stuff before locking in the nuance to minimize the future pain depending on what's needed. That is my guess, anyway. It would be really weird for him to commit w/o having a basic framework on contract in place IMO.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-14-2022, 07:24 AM

Neither, AROD has ALWAYS been like this..

Fosco33
03-14-2022, 07:47 AM
Why do people think Aaron owes us more details on a contract he apparently hadn’t signed?

Have you ever negotiated anything that benefited you by giving away your positions?

Why do you assume the deal isn’t signed or worry about the other dominoes that need to fall for the cap, etc? The Packers have almost ALWAYS waited til the last possible second on things that have to be released… because it’s a strategic advantage to know what everyone else is doing first.

I’m supportive of Aaron. More so this year than any other. I don’t think there’s been anything he’s said or done that wasn’t authentic. His decision to not get vaxd ultimately hurt/cost the Packers nothing. And frankly - he was more right than wrong about that situation.

Unlike Favre (or Brady to some degree), he was straightforward and didn’t waffle.

I hope the deal terms get announced soon too but I really don’t give it too much thought. It’s just silly math drama. and there’s only 3-4 things that matter between now and Sept (FA, Draft, Camp, etc). Rest of it is just filler.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-14-2022, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=Fosco33;1112281]Why do people think Aaron owes us more details on a contract he apparently hadn

Oh oh - 'he was more right than wrong about that situation'

Take it to fyi..

SudsMcBucky
03-14-2022, 08:04 AM
Do we even know if AR is signing an extension? He never said anything of the sort. All his quote said was that he's returning to GB. How do we know it's not only to play under the last year of his contract so he can then become a FA?

SudsMcBucky
03-14-2022, 08:07 AM
NVM

Fosco33
03-14-2022, 08:12 AM
[QUOTE=Fosco33;1112281]Why do people think Aaron owes us more details on a contract he apparently hadn

Oh oh - 'he was more right than wrong about that situation'

Take it to fyi..

Hahaha. I’ve said all I’ve needed to say in FYI and you’ve contributed nothing to the debate.

And yes, Aaron was more right than wrong. As this is football related and in no way political - NFL drops all restrictions, mandates, etc:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/03/sports/football/nfl-covid-protocol.html

As partial would say -moveondotorg

Fritz
03-14-2022, 12:31 PM
So you're saying that while Rodgers has not signed a contract, Gutekunst knows enough about the framework to go ahead and plunge into the free agency period?

Hmm. IF that's so, it doesn't seem like a good position in which to be. A deal isn't done until it's signed by both parties.

texaspackerbacker
03-14-2022, 12:40 PM
Do you listen to AROD and the tone of his interviews ? Do you listen to the talk shows among those who cover both the players and GB, and to be quite honest have open communications and positive communications with nearly all of the players ? I'm not going to discount the entire media as being terrible people and AROD as being a flipping Saint. A lot of the media were good people before AROD and still are. I do think it's a combo. Once upon a time AROD had thick skin. He no longer does. So I'd blame both of them undoubtedly for the severing of ties and leaving us stuck with a small portion of the truth that Mcafee is fed.

You know as well as I do the media cannot repeat and give us everything they know. The Packers GM and entire Brass as well as the media has a very soft hand when it comes to AROD; Gute isn't ever going to tell us what really happenged behind closed doors when AROD was unhappy, OR throwing fits OR asking to be traded OR just being difficult.

And good media members have talks with players on and off the record . We're never getting absolutes from anything with these matters.

So our options are to be very aware of the collection of all of the interviews/comments by media and AROD's troll and make a decision, OR just ignore things and choose one side of the other.

Yes I do - any given Tuesday when he's on with the guy you call a "zero" - and zero is how much I watch McAfee otherwise. The only "interview" I recall otherwise was that brief thing at the Kentucky Derby. As you say, "nearly" - Rodgers doesn't show up on very many others, and IMO he shouldn't. Why subject himself to their shit?

I don't see anything wrong with his tone. He probably tries to sound smarter than other people - what do you expect? He probably is smarter than most other people.

The damn media "cannot repeat and give us everything they know"? Right, no problem with that. However the bastards make shit up - over and over and over again. They speculate something just like they actually know it. Sometimes it might even turn out to be correct, but basically that is lying. That I have a problem with, and apparently Rodgers does too. Notice, I say apparently, as none of us in here or the God damned media really knows what Rodgers thinks or is his attitude, even though many including you talk like you do.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-14-2022, 12:52 PM
Do we even know if AR is signing an extension? He never said anything of the sort. All his quote said was that he's returning to GB. How do we know it's not only to play under the last year of his contract so he can then become a FA?

Butte’s cap hit of 47M, while not impossible (the cap can always be cooked), is too sumptuous to fit under the cap. Absence of an extension, the Packers could cook the cap and turn Butte’s $27M salary for the upcoming season into a signing bonus while adding 3-4 more bogus years to spread out the bonus. However, the Packers and Butte would just be swimming in the same sea again at this time next year, and Butte would not be a free agent. The Packers would be better off, cap-wise, by extending Butte and keeping him in Green Bay til his prodigious right arm falls off.

Source: Me, Tank Elf Duke, passer of Wisconsin’s CPA exams.

texaspackerbacker
03-14-2022, 01:02 PM
Could be, APB. I'd trust you as a source as much or more than those media pukes. All Rodgers really said is that he will be back/not retire or demand a trade, and doing what you say would just give us a similar situation next off-season. What I think is happening, though, is taking care of as much other business as possible - Adams, MVS, Alexander, Tonyan, Campbell, Douglas, etc., then see what Rodgers' cap number needs to be and set his contract terms accordingly. Hopefully that means 3-4 or more real years and maybe some "bogus" ones at the end of that if needed.

It's a process, and it's going on right now. I'm confident that the cooks will give us a nice sauce.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-14-2022, 01:32 PM

scharpcheddar
03-14-2022, 02:57 PM
Just more proof last years drama was all pointless fake distraction. Nothing happened.
Next year he'll lose in playoffs again

Fritz
03-14-2022, 03:30 PM
Just more proof last years drama was all pointless fake distraction. Nothing happened.
Next year he'll lose in playoffs again

Scharp, you're so crazy wrong in your predictions every year about who's been chosen to be in the Super Bowl that this just gave me a big jolt of hope.

George Cumby
03-14-2022, 03:49 PM
Hahahahaha.

scharpcheddar
03-14-2022, 05:19 PM
Scharp, you're so crazy wrong in your predictions every year about who's been chosen to be in the Super Bowl that this just gave me a big jolt of hope.

And your remark is really pointless since he keeps losing since the one and only 10 years ago.

George Cumby
03-14-2022, 05:45 PM
And your remark is really pointless.

Well, you would be a subject matter expert on pointless.

Tony Oday
03-15-2022, 07:59 AM
On first read of #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers' new contract, he gets:

$42 million in 2022
$59.515M in 2023
$49.3M in 2024

So that's $150.815M over the next three years, and the first two are fully guaranteed at signing.

Tony Oday
03-15-2022, 08:00 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10029163-report-aaron-rodgers-signs-new-4-year-packers-contract-drops-2022-cap-hit-to-28m

Teamcheez1
03-15-2022, 08:34 AM
On first read of #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers' new contract, he gets:

$42 million in 2022
$59.515M in 2023
$49.3M in 2024

So that's $150.815M over the next three years, and the first two are fully guaranteed at signing.

AR’s contract doesn’t look to be team friendly and structured for a player focused on winning the SB. It looks like someone who is playing out the cycle and getting everything they can.

Fritz
03-15-2022, 08:52 AM
Hard to disagree with that statement.

Normally I'm all about the working man getting what he can from management (that's not a political criticism, it's just my way of seeing the world, and I realize there are other ways that are legitimate), but in the case of a guy with as much wealth as Rodgers already has, I would have hoped he'd "settle" for, say, 30 million a year and a more talented supporting cast so he could get another ring.

So for those of you more versed on contracts and caps, is this deal looking like a two-year deal, in reality? I'm curious about what both sides are seeing as Rodgers's end game regarding length of career.

Joemailman
03-15-2022, 08:57 AM
AR’s contract doesn’t look to be team friendly and structured for a player focused on winning the SB. It looks like someone who is playing out the cycle and getting everything they can.

Don't know all the details, but the cap hit is pretty manageable the first 3 years.

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo

Aaron Rodgers' cap numbers the next three years for the #Packers:

2022: $28.5 million (down from $46.7 million)
2023: $31.6 million (up from $7.7 million on a previously voidable year)
2024: $40.7 million

Fritz
03-15-2022, 08:59 AM
Does that suggest to you that both sides see two more years of Rodgers as reasonable?

Joemailman
03-15-2022, 09:08 AM
Does that suggest to you that both sides see two more years of Rodgers as reasonable?

I'd say 3 years. I read somewhere that if the Packers were to move on from Rodgers after the 2023 season, they would have 68 million of dead cap money in 2024. With the salary cap surging the next few years, that 40 million cap hit in 2024 won't seem that big. I've also heard from Silverstein that this contract is rather complicated, so there's a lot to figure out yet.

Teamcheez1
03-15-2022, 09:22 AM
I see a lot of numbers floating around on cap hits, actual salary, contract length, potential dead money, etc. Those gyrations will become clearer as the details are analyzed.

Best I can tell is that $150M is guaranteed, and salaries down the road will be $50M+ or thereabouts.
So that is the going rate for a 38 year old QB who can win the NFC North? Too much money.

call_me_ishmael
03-15-2022, 09:44 AM
Alright, given that the contract basically means he is committing to playing for three more years, it is time to trade Love out of fairness to him and to maximize the talent as much as possible to win a super bowl.

Teamcheez1
03-15-2022, 10:33 AM
I guess AR was right when he said the 4 years at $200M was false. He’s actually going to average more than $50M a year. He can go spin the contract with brain dead McAfee today.

Fritz
03-15-2022, 10:35 AM
Alright, given that the contract basically means he is committing to playing for three more years, it is time to trade Love out of fairness to him and to maximize the talent as much as possible to win a super bowl.

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep Love this year as a backup and try to develop him, then trade him next offseason? You can showcase his development in the preseason this year, have a backup, then trade him. There won't be a big market, but he'd be cheap for someone for one year, so I'd imagine someone would bite on that.

Joemailman
03-15-2022, 10:38 AM

I think they'll wait another year and hope Love lights it up in the 2022 preseason. That should increase his value. I know the QB class in the 2023 draft might be stronger than in 2022. Still, I think there are 10-15 teams in the NFL that need a QB so the market will be there next year. Plus, trading Love now makes the Packers salary cap situation worse.

call_me_ishmael
03-15-2022, 10:41 AM
They need players this year and for the next two years while the window is open. They need to replace MVS. I want the pick this year so the player is a contributor for at least two of those years (presumably).

Aaron's dead cap hit tells me loud and clear that he is not going to be the QB of the future because by the time the big cap hit takes place (78M right now or something insane like that), they will need a rookie QB contract to make any of this remotely work.

Any of you cap gurus understand how they can spread out Aaron's cap hit down the line? I assume the way the contract is structured is to A) minimize cap hits during the open window and B) to ensure that they can't move on from Rodgers until after 3 years.

texaspackerbacker
03-15-2022, 11:57 AM
McAfee said $186 for five years with $150 million guaranteed. That would be a cap hit in the $20s m next season and '23, 30s m in '24, and something that adds up to around $100m between '25 and '26. We should be able to count on Rodgers being the Packers QB through '24 and either stay with a high cap number or get extended again or go after '24 with a couple of years of $50m or so dead money.

Now they need to get it done with Davante, Alexander, Tonyan (near 100% chance IMO), Douglas (90% chance they keep him), and MVS (75% sure IMO they keep him too). It's all within the realm of possibility cap-wise.

Joemailman
03-15-2022, 02:54 PM
In case you were wondering...if the Packers were to cut Rodgers before June 1, he would count 128,262,138 against the cap.

They have to keep him for3 years. Starting in 2025 they would save cap space by moving him. https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

Upnorth
03-15-2022, 03:33 PM
In case you were wondering...if the Packers were to cut Rodgers before June 1, he would count 128,262,138 against the cap.

They have to keep him for3 years. Starting in 2025 they would save cap space by moving him. https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

Wow,
So if love is the real deal successor in 2025 we are spending about 100000000 on the qb position.
Lol

call_me_ishmael
03-15-2022, 04:05 PM
There is no way Love is the successor at this point. They wouldn't have done a 3 year deal with Aaron if that is the case. They aren't going to pick up his 5th year option when he doesn't have playing time.

They will trade him this off-season I suspect because adding another WR, DL or OL is more beneficial towards a super bowl run for the next 3 years than a backup QB.

texaspackerbacker
03-15-2022, 06:21 PM

Good To Know hahahahaha.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's $78m dead money in one year unless they chose to do it that way. It would be more like $100m spread over '25 and '26. The much better option, though, would be to restructure/extend again after '24, have him play those two seasons, and then spread whatever dead money over several void years - assuming he doesn't play effectively for even more than five years, which I certainly wouldn't rule out.

As APB said, regardless of anything else, there's gonna be bad times after Rodgers is gone. Best we put that off as long as possible. I'm pretty sure the Packers brass sees it that way too.

Upnorth
03-15-2022, 07:36 PM
I think assuming we are fucked at qb once rodgers is gone is foolish. I also think assuming we are set is foolish. We will know at the end of next season. We take his 5th year option we are set. We don't we need to draft well in the 2023 draft and hope.

bobblehead
03-15-2022, 07:40 PM
I'm shocked we kept campbell. It was nice of him to take almost 33% less than he could have gotten in the open market.

The truth is though, that the window is likely closed. I just don't see ARod winning cold games in the playoffs anymore. Maybe Love is garbage and this was the only way to keep winning, but wow, the window is cracked open for 2 years and then slammed shut for 2-3 more immediately after that. I would have rather traded him for a haul, traded Adams, eaten my 1 year cap hell and moved on with a ton of capital and several very good young players.

bobblehead
03-15-2022, 07:42 PM
I think assuming we are fucked at qb once rodgers is gone is foolish. I also think assuming we are set is foolish. We will know at the end of next season. We take his 5th year option we are set. We don't we need to draft well in the 2023 draft and hope.

What I said in the Love thread. If you don't extend him off that 5th year option, what makes you think he will be inclined to stick around? If I were him I would demand a very large contract going into year 6 (after Rodgers contract forces us to renegotiate again, or move on). I wouldn't let the team off easy at the point they are ready to use me finally....not when I can become a FA and see what some idiot GM will pay me.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2022, 04:48 AM
I'm shocked we kept campbell. It was nice of him to take almost 33% less than he could have gotten in the open market.

The truth is though, that the window is likely closed. I just don't see ARod winning cold games in the playoffs anymore. Maybe Love is garbage and this was the only way to keep winning, but wow, the window is cracked open for 2 years and then slammed shut for 2-3 more immediately after that. I would have rather traded him for a haul, traded Adams, eaten my 1 year cap hell and moved on with a ton of capital and several very good young players.

The window certainly AIN’T closed, hombre. Did Butte choke in the clutch? Sure. Did he miss a WIDE OPEN Lazard? Sure. But if you actually take some time away from skiing to watch the all-22 coaches film in its entirety, you’ll perceive Lazard, Cobb, St. Paul, et al., having difficulties getting open consistently in the infamous 69ers game.

I was watching the first half of Super Bowl 31 the other day. Holy fuck! Neither the Packers nor the Traitors ran a single play out of the “gun.” Belichick, then DC of the Traitors, called the Pistol Force Quarter, you know, with 7 DBs, multiple times. Shurmur blitzed DBs from the slot a tons. And #84 of the Packers looked exactly like a clone of OB-tucking-J.

Assuming the Fresno Freak returns, the Packers are a bona fide #2 WR away from winning the whole fucking thing. Hell, Packers woulda won the whole fucking thing last season had they not gotten cheap and managed to sign OBJ.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-16-2022, 05:11 AM
[QUOTE=Anti-Polar Bear;1112449]The window certainly [b]AIN

The problem is we have been saying that for years, and still bounced in the playoffs. I hope you are right, but my gut says this was a mistake, at least for people younger than me who could face the '80s' again..

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2022, 09:11 AM

The problem is we have been saying that for years, and still bounced in the playoffs. I hope you are right, but my gut says this was a mistake, at least for people younger than me who could face the '80s' again..

It would be the 80

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2022, 09:13 AM

It would be the 80’s again without Butte. Sure, not making the playoffs hurts a lot less than making the playoffs and fucking up in the playoffs. But if you had a shot at being Jennifer Lawrence’s champion, would you take the shot? Butte gives us a shot.

Teamcheez1
03-16-2022, 10:08 AM
The window is still open, but barely. AR should have taken a more team friendly deal if he really wanted to win a SB. He stated that it was categorically false that he wanted to be paid $50M and be the highest paid player in the NFL. That was a complete lie just like everything else that comes out of his mouth now.

The next lie I expect out of his mouth is that Davante needs to be paid.

Bossman641
03-16-2022, 10:35 AM
Unequivocally false that Aaron wants to be the highest paid at 4 year-200 million. How great of him to settle for 3 yr-150 million instead.

We are going to have an absolute nightmare cap situation in a few years.

Joemailman
03-16-2022, 10:49 AM
The window is still open, but barely. AR should have taken a more team friendly deal if he really wanted to win a SB. He stated that it was categorically false that he wanted to be paid $50M and be the highest paid player in the NFL. That was a complete lie just like everything else that comes out of his mouth now.

The next lie I expect out of his mouth is that Davante needs to be paid.

He didn't lie. He said the terms being reported weren't accurate. They were a little off. He's now under a 5 year deal with total cap hits of 213 million. That's less per year than Mahomes' contract. If you only look at the last 3 years of the contract, then yes, he will be the highest paid player. However, by then there's a good chance someone will have signed a contract that surpasses it. For the next 3 years, Rodgers' contract is pretty cap friendly for a QB of his stature.

Rodgers' cap hit in 2022 will rank 7th among QB's. 8th in 2023. 4th in 2024. Although by 2024 his cap hit will likely be lower than 4th as others will have passed him with new deals.

Upnorth
03-16-2022, 11:27 AM
He didn't lie. He said the terms being reported weren't accurate. They were a little off. He's now under a 5 year deal with total cap hits of 213 million. That's less per year than Mahomes' contract. If you only look at the last 3 years of the contract, then yes, he will be the highest paid player. However, by then there's a good chance someone will have signed a contract that surpasses it. For the next 3 years, Rodgers' contract is pretty cap friendly for a QB of his stature.

Rodgers' cap hit in 2022 will rank 7th among QB's. 8th in 2023. 4th in 2024. Although by 2024 his cap hit will likely be lower than 4th as others will have passed him with new deals.

Yes. Let's hope that the gambling revenues are as great as we think they will be as that is how we don't drown in 2025.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2022, 12:12 PM
Yes. Let's hope that the gambling revenues are as great as we think they will be as that is how we don't drown in 2025.

The Networks are gonna bail out every team in the next couple of years, especially with Bezos making it rain.

call_me_ishmael
03-16-2022, 02:56 PM
The real question is Aaron going to cut that stupid hair before next season? I imagine he will because it looked god awful all year.

bobblehead
03-16-2022, 03:25 PM
The real question is Aaron going to cut that stupid hair before next season? I imagine he will because it looked god awful all year.

The answer to that is the same as the answer to many questions regarding many men. Is there a woman in his life saying "I like it that way"

red
03-16-2022, 04:30 PM
people really need to quit shiity on rodgers for taking a fake insane amout of money

florio was reporting that his number was like 67 million per year

looking at the cap sites now, the guy gave us a huge deal

his cap numbers for the next 3 years are 28.5, 31.6 and 40.7. those are all low cap numbers for the 2 time defending MVP

the cap numbers then go way up on the last 2 years (still nowhere near the 67 million that dickhead was saying), but these include massive roster and option bonuses. the team can walk away after the 2024 season and only have a 16 million dollar cap penalty

hell the team can walk away after the 2023 season and save a ton of cap

it looks to be a very team friendly deal IMO

QBME
03-16-2022, 06:15 PM
people really need to quit shiity on rodgers for taking a fake insane amout of money

his cap numbers for the next 3 years are 28.5, 31.6 and 40.7. those are all low cap numbers for the 2 time defending MVP

the cap numbers then go way up on the last 2 years (still nowhere near the 67 million that dickhead was saying), but these include massive roster and option bonuses. the team can walk away after the 2024 season and only have a 16 million dollar cap penalty

Um..ahem...

There is no place for common sense reason on this site, sir.

Bretsky
03-16-2022, 06:21 PM
Um..ahem...

There is no place for common sense reason on this site, sir.

Especically from Red; he's usually drunk :)

red
03-16-2022, 06:26 PM
Especically from Red; he's usually drunk :)

least i have 2 real knees

Joemailman
03-16-2022, 06:28 PM

It's a really good 3 year deal for the Packers. However, according to Overthecap, Packers would have 45M in dead cap if they cut or trade Rodgers in 2025. According to Spotrac, the dead cap would be 16M. I assume it has to do with the option bonuses. I don't know how those work.

red
03-16-2022, 06:40 PM
It's a really good 3 year deal for the Packers. However, according to Overthecap, Packers would have 45M in dead cap if they cut or trade Rodgers in 2025. According to Spotrac, the dead cap would be 16M. I assume it has to do with the option bonuses. I don't know how those work.

both sites look really screwy to me, doubt either one actually have the actual numbers

texaspackerbacker
03-16-2022, 08:51 PM
After the three years, we probably restructure/extend Rodgers again and he plays a few more years. If he chooses to retire or fades, as I really doubt he does, then we bite the bullet and suffer the dead money for a couple of years. The cap will be a helluva lot higher by then anyway, and the team will be somewhere between crap and mediocre without Rodgers depending one who the next QB is.

bobblehead
03-16-2022, 08:54 PM
I finally figured out the answer to the original question. 1 and done again if the temperature is below freezing.

call_me_ishmael
03-16-2022, 11:27 PM
This is a really weird contract though. I have never seen a structure like this before. Andrew Brandt still thinks it’s a one year deal but 80M guaranteed for one year seems stupid. I would have just traded him if that’s the case. So we shall see. No sense in worrying about it or anything. That’s someone else’s job.

Bretsky
03-16-2022, 11:58 PM
Good Signing by Gute if we win a Super Bowl.

Bossman641
03-17-2022, 07:18 AM
Who knows if it's correct, but here is how JS claims the dead cap hits work out. If he leaves after the 2023 season, 68 million on the 2024 cap. If he leaves after 3 years, 76.8 million on the 2025 cap.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 08:09 AM
Who knows if it's correct, but here is how JS claims the dead cap hits work out. If he leaves after the 2023 season, 68 million on the 2024 cap. If he leaves after 3 years, 76.8 million on the 2025 cap.

If that's right, I'm guessing they would add a couple void years to spread out the cost?

Fritz
03-17-2022, 10:01 AM
I finally figured out the answer to the original question. 1 and done again if the temperature is below freezing.

When I was a kid shooting hoops in the driveway and pretending to be Dave Bing or Dave Debusschere winning on a last-second shot, I'd miss the shot - but wait! Ladies and Gentlemen, there was a foul on the play! And then try again.

I think that's what's happening here. Last year was "The Last Dance," so this year is "No, Really, It's the Last Dance," unless they don't win it all - in which case, Rodgers will come back again after hemming and hawing in the offseason, and that will be the"No, Seriously, This Really Is the Last Dance" dance.

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2022, 10:08 AM
If that's right, I'm guessing they would add a couple void years to spread out the cost?

I would think they would do the Drew Brees fake extension and spread it out over many years, yeah.

beveaux1
03-17-2022, 01:08 PM
I would think they would do the Drew Brees fake extension and spread it out over many years, yeah.

Signing bonus becomes a cap hit at either retirement or trade. They might save a little money this year on the cap if it was spread 3 additional years, but when he's traded or retires, it would be much larger. Tells me the Packers' plan is for him to leave sooner rather than later.

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2022, 02:08 PM
Signing bonus becomes a cap hit at either retirement or trade. They might save a little money this year on the cap if it was spread 3 additional years, but when he's traded or retires, it would be much larger. Tells me the Packers' plan is for him to leave sooner rather than later.

He doesn't have a signing bonus (yet) but I think they would convert those bonuses into a signing bonus and have a fake extension or something to spread the cap hit out. Does anyone know how this worked with Brees? I know it was a thing but I don't know the details.

I could very well be wrong about this. I have never seen a contract like Rodgers so I do not really understand it and am probably wrong in what I'm talking about. I do know he doesn't have a signing bonus so the bonuses that he has are probably eligible to be converted to one which maybe could help? I'm unclear on that. Regardless, I am assuming they will find a way to spread the mega cap hit out for at least two years.

Bossman641
03-17-2022, 02:55 PM
He doesn't have a signing bonus (yet) but I think they would convert those bonuses into a signing bonus and have a fake extension or something to spread the cap hit out. Does anyone know how this worked with Brees? I know it was a thing but I don't know the details.

I could very well be wrong about this. I have never seen a contract like Rodgers so I do not really understand it and am probably wrong in what I'm talking about. I do know he doesn't have a signing bonus so the bonuses that he has are probably eligible to be converted to one which maybe could help? I'm unclear on that. Regardless, I am assuming they will find a way to spread the mega cap hit out for at least two years.

CMI I don't know exactly how it worked but you're on the right track regarding the Saints and Brees. You rework the contract and don't file for retirement until after June 1. I believe that would spread the dead cap hit over two years rather then 1.

Bossman641
03-17-2022, 03:23 PM

He does have a signing bonus. He received a 40.8M signing bonus. His cap hit for 2022 is 28.53M (19.173M from his prior signing bonus + 8.16M of new signing bonus (40.8/5) + 1.15M salary+50K workout).

His 2023 base salary is 59.5M but they can convert that into a bonus over 4 years. Both the JS and Spotrac say his cap hit would be 31.6M in 2023 should they do this conversion but I'm not seeing how they get to that figure.

Upnorth
03-17-2022, 04:39 PM
CMI I don't know exactly how it worked but you're on the right track regarding the Saints and Brees. You rework the contract and don't file for retirement until after June 1. I believe that would spread the dead cap hit over two years rather then 1.

That is what the Saints did. Only works if the player wants to retire.

What if love is great? What if we draft a successor who is great prior to him wanting to retire?
I hope we have this issue. Bad for cap though.

beveaux1
03-17-2022, 05:17 PM
I'm going to try to make sense of the Rodgers contract. He signed a 5 year extension with a fully guaranteed 40.8 million dollar signing bonus. Each year of the contract he has a $50,000 workout bonus. The final 2 years are voidable by either side and are basically placeholder years.
This year he has 1.15 million in base salary, the 0.05 million workout bonus and the guaranteed 40.8 million signing bonus.
Next year 2023 he has a 57.465 million base salary and a 0.05 million workout bonus.
In 2024, he has a 49.25 million base salary and the 0.05 million workout bonus. The 49.25 million is fully guaranteed against any injury that he suffers in 2023 in which he can't play in 2024.
The final 2 years are placeholders and are used to extend the cap charges.

His cap charge in 2022 is 19.17 million holdover from his last contract plus 40.8 divided by 5 years or 8.16 million plus 1.15 million salary plus .05 million workout bonus. That equals 28.53 million.
His cap charge in 2023 is 8.16 million plus 57.465 million salary plus 0.05 million workout. That equals 65.675 million.
His cap charge in 2024 is 8.16 million plus 49.25 million salary plus .05 million workout or 57.46 million, but since the last two years are voidable, the cap charge is 57.46 plus 8.16 million plus 8.16 million. That equals 73.78 million.

Obviously, the Packers will convert salary next year into a signing bonus decreasing the cap charge in 2023, but raising it for 2024.

If the Packers could trade him or release him after this year or next year, the base salary would be null and the Packers would have a one year cap hit of the remainder of the signing bonus as dead money. In 2023 that figure would be 32.64 million.
In 2024 it would be whatever salary was converted to bonus plus 24.48 million of the signing bonus.

In essence, it could very well be a one or two year contract.

Upnorth
03-17-2022, 06:47 PM
New answer. He is gonna be pissed if adams is traded

Jereamiah
03-17-2022, 07:41 PM
Hard to tell what he is doing. Maybe he was just buzzed up, drunk-tweeting. It happens. Been reading alot of interesting posts and replies in here. Seeing some realists who accept the fact that the team will look drastically different come June and I am seeing some completely deluded homers who swear up and down that the cap does not matter, and that Rodgers and Adams and basically the whole team will be back, and that next year, next year is THE YEAR. I suspect that the reality of your teams pending offseason moves will be somewhere in between those two scenerios. They WILL tag Adams, if only to buy time to keep negotiating with him. They can't come to an agreement? He gets traded. Bottom line, there is no way, none, that the Packers retain both Rodgers and Adams. There just isn't. It's one or the other, not both, and probably, both are gone. Doesn't matter which one of those two are gone, the result will be a very different team. In my opinion, Rodgers is traded, Adams is tagged, and is traded after the Packers simply refuse to pay him what he is asking to be paid. Well, called it. Did I not? On Adams, anyway. But also on the fact that the Pack could not keep both

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 07:47 PM
Well, called it. Did I not? On Adams, anyway. But also on the fact that the Pack could not keep both

The reports are that the Packers matched the money Raiders were offering. He just wanted to leave. The Packers were prepared to keep both.

Jereamiah
03-17-2022, 07:51 PM
The reports are that the Packers matched the money Raiders were offering. He just wanted to leave. The Packers were prepared to keep both.
So? Regardless, I called it. But whatever, didn’t take a genius to see that coming

George Cumby
03-17-2022, 08:18 PM

Vegas vs. Brown County.

Where's he live during the off-season?

Fritz
03-18-2022, 06:31 AM
So, "Next year, Aaron Rodgers will be . . . "

Throwing the ball to Davante Adams in Las Vegas?

Joemailman
03-18-2022, 08:16 AM
I'm hoping to hear a lot of talk about how Rodgers will struggle without Adams. Cannot imagine anything that would motivate Rodgers mpre than that.

bobblehead
03-18-2022, 10:56 AM

If that is accurate, I have to say you were right in the other thread. This would be a TEAM friendly deal. Yes, I said it. Red is right and I am wrong (assuming this is accurate).

bobblehead
03-18-2022, 10:58 AM

That is what I read initially as well. So I guess as usual, I don't trust the media. I am hoping Red is correct though.

bobblehead
03-18-2022, 11:01 AM

Well....if there are no bonuses hit yet, and we just traded Adams.....Just saying, I haven't seen anyone quote the dead cap hit if we trade him before the June 1st deadline.

bobblehead
03-18-2022, 11:05 AM
Well, called it. Did I not? On Adams, anyway. But also on the fact that the Pack could not keep both

I'm sorry, but we prefer to point out others failures here on packerrats. Like Fritz and his Rashan Gary predictions (in fairness, most every rat not named Harrel hated that pick).

red
03-18-2022, 07:30 PM
If that is accurate, I have to say you were right in the other thread. This would be a TEAM friendly deal. Yes, I said it. Red is right and I am wrong (assuming this is accurate).

its all relying on the 2 cap sites

they both seem to have about the same first 3 cap numbers then have totally different 4 and 5th year number

and who the hell knows if either of them are anywhere close to right

Fritz
03-19-2022, 07:58 AM
I'm sorry, but we prefer to point out others failures here on packerrats. Like Fritz and his Rashan Gary predictions (in fairness, most every rat not named Harrel hated that pick).

Dammit, Bobble, I was trying to turn the narrative and count on Packerrats' laziness so that next year I could start saying "I knew Gary was going to be great!"

As for Rodgers, I think that trading Adams will be the best thing for him as a QB. He has been best when he's been challenged - exhibit A being when Le Fleur came into town and Rodgers seemed grumpy about it - but he grudgingly adapted and won two MVP's in a row. Now, his dependence on Adams can be broken and he can throw to multiple receivers (well, once Cobb gets hurt) and actually make the offense better.

I hope Joe is right - hope there are all kinds of articles about how much Aaron Rodgers is going to suffer without Davante Adams.

Finally, why is everyone so worried about WR? They have Amari Rodgers!!!

red
03-20-2022, 12:00 PM
so, how much of a team friendly deal did rodgers give the packers?. and yes its just a 3 year deal

in terms of cash per year, in 2022 he will be paid about 42 million (salary plus signing bonus plus workout bonus)

in 2023 he'll get about 29 or so million (salary plus roster bonus)

in 2024 hell get about 33 million (salary plus roster bonus)

deshaun watson will be paid 46 million every single year by the browns for the next 5 years. all guaranteed

over 3 years rodgers will get 104 million

stafford on his new deal will get 107 million over the next 3 years

watson will make 138

RashanGary
03-20-2022, 03:33 PM
so, how much of a team friendly deal did rodgers give the packers?. and yes its just a 3 year deal

in terms of cash per year, in 2022 he will be paid about 42 million (salary plus signing bonus plus workout bonus)

in 2023 he'll get about 29 or so million (salary plus roster bonus)

in 2024 hell get about 33 million (salary plus roster bonus)

deshaun watson will be paid 46 million every single year by the browns for the next 5 years. all guaranteed

over 3 years rodgers will get 104 million

stafford on his new deal will get 107 million over the next 3 years

watson will make 138

Rodgers has 150M in guarantees. If he plays one year and gets cut he gets 150M. Two years, same. If it is a three year deal and he gets cut going into year 4 he still makes 150M. So what you are pointing out cannot be true. He makes 50 per year in three years guaranteed if it is really a 3 year deal.

red
03-20-2022, 04:31 PM
Rodgers has 150M in guarantees. If he plays one year and gets cut he gets 150M. Two years, same. If it is a three year deal and he gets cut going into year 4 he still makes 150M. So what you are pointing out cannot be true. He makes 50 per year in three years guaranteed if it is really a 3 year deal.

his contract is complicated as shit, but i'm going off spotrac. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

$101.515M guaranteed at signing (2022 salary, 2022 roster bonus, 2023 salary, 2023 option bonus)

what makes it really weird are these 3 lines

2023 Option Bonus (to exercise the 2025 compensation): $58.3M (guaranteed)
2024 Option Bonus (to exercise the 2026 compensation): $47M (injury guaranteed at signing, fully guarantees the 5th day of the 2024 waiver period)
Declining either of the 2023-2024 options converts the base salary for that year into the bonus figure ($58.3M, $47M respectively)

RashanGary
03-20-2022, 05:19 PM
It is confusing. It looks like a 5 year, 211 million dollar deal with low cap hits in the beginning.

If you add up the cap hits (which is all the money that will be paid) it is 211 million.

red
03-20-2022, 05:28 PM
It is confusing. It looks like a 5 year, 211 million dollar deal with low cap hits in the beginning.

If you add up the cap hits (which is all the money that will be paid) it is 211 million.

some of that cap hit comes from the leftover cap hits from the last deal. they didn't get erased just because there was a new deal signed

RashanGary
03-20-2022, 05:40 PM
some of that cap hit comes from the leftover cap hits from the last deal. they didn't get erased just because there was a new deal signed

Yeah. Two years of the old deal are in there. But it is 5 years, 42M per year. Three years, 150 of new money.

I do not know if 100 or 150 are guaranteed. If it ends up being 3 years, I do not know if he will have made 150 or if he will have made 120. It looks like 120 but I do not understand those guarantee clauses.

And I cannot use apostrophes so if my writing is odd and full of (do nots) and (he wills), it is because I cannot use quotes or apostrophes.

RashanGary
03-20-2022, 06:21 PM
https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

Over the cap has it looking like a 3 year, 145 million dollar deal. So a 3 year, 48 million per year deal where 45M will hit after he is gone. They can spread it out over two years if they cut him post June 1st I believe.

RashanGary
03-20-2022, 06:23 PM
That is a very Rodgers friendly deal. The cap hits are low for 3 years but then we pay for it for two years after he is gone.

NewsBruin
03-21-2022, 12:30 AM
I'll take back some of my grousing. We got Rodgers signed before the Browns created a new set of standards for elite QBs with Watson's deal.

bobblehead
03-21-2022, 10:37 AM
Other GMs being morons aside, I have no clue what Rodgers deal actually is. So much crap out there its hard to say. I really hope Red is correct, however all things equal if we hadn't cut a year off his deal in 2021 a lot of this manipulation wouldn't be necessary.

RashanGary
03-21-2022, 10:57 AM
Other GMs being morons aside, I have no clue what Rodgers deal actually is. So much crap out there its hard to say. I really hope Red is correct, however all things equal if we hadn't cut a year off his deal in 2021 a lot of this manipulation wouldn't be necessary.

I do not think we cut a year off his deal. He signed a 3 year extension and it turned into a 5 year 211 million dollar deal. That tells me he had two years from his existing contract.

This Rodgers contract is confusing as hell. All sorts of clauses and escalators that are hard to make any sense of.

call_me_ishmael
04-08-2022, 02:03 PM
A year later, I cannot believe they actually salvaged the situation. Amazing job by MM, MILF, Gooter.

texaspackerbacker
04-08-2022, 02:54 PM
Good Job, Yes, but I'd say more like Never A Doubt.

RashanGary
04-08-2022, 03:12 PM
A year later, I cannot believe they actually salvaged the situation. Amazing job by MM, MILF, Gooter.

Rodgers seems to have created a bit of a mutiny though. He talked about the team not being loyal and the people problems. And Davante bought in. He wanted out. MVS wanted out. None of the WRs showed up to offseason work either, along with Rodgers.

They somewhat salvaged it, but they have lost some respect along the way too.

Bretsky
04-08-2022, 03:37 PM
Rodgers seems to have created a bit of a mutiny though. He talked about the team not being loyal and the people problems. And Davante bought in. He wanted out. MVS wanted out. None of the WRs showed up to offseason work either, along with Rodgers.

KIND OF AGREE

BUT NOW CONSIDER THIS

Rodgers has to be viewed as a leader and is happy and part of the leadership team with Guters. All is good there, right ?

REAL QUESTION

GB is going to have some brand new WR's that really need to get in sync with their QB.

DO YOU EXPECT Rodgers, our co leader, to attend the Voluntary OTA's for the good of the team ? Or are we giving him a free pass on anything he really wants at this point ?

Personally, I would hope so.

call_me_ishmael
04-08-2022, 04:18 PM

This is a silly narrative that isn't founded? We don't know Devante's reasons but my understanding is he wanted to raise his kids on the west coast. He is probably making more money in Vegas too due to taxes. I have no problem with that and feel they were compensated fairly. I do think the Packers won the trade so far, they need to turn the assets they have into players and not JAGs.

MVS wanted out? Where and why do you think that? He got offered a phat contract. Did the Packers even offer him one until they addressed Adams? We have no idea. More than likely he was going to resign here *prior to the very large offer* despite being second fiddle to Adams in all off-season dealings so I don't view it that way.

None of the WR showed up probably because Adams didn't have a contract and that was solidarity. I don't really know though and I don't think anyone in the media does either.

Bretsky - personally I think there is a zero percent chance Rodgers is at OTAs but we'll see. I think he is on the Favre plan at this point after coming back last second last season and still doing well.

texaspackerbacker
04-08-2022, 05:55 PM

Where do you get that shit? Rodgers never said anything about the team not being loyal, and Davante said he wanted to go elsewhere because of the "elsewhere", not anything negative about the Packers or Rodgers. And MVS also never said anything negative. He just took the money when somebody offered him a ton of it. Are you making this idiocy up? Or did some media scum bag say it and you're regurgitating it?

CMI, I see you beat me to saying it.

RashanGary
04-08-2022, 07:46 PM
Where do you get that shit? Rodgers never said anything about the team not being loyal, and Davante said he wanted to go elsewhere because of the "elsewhere", not anything negative about the Packers or Rodgers. And MVS also never said anything negative. He just took the money when somebody offered him a ton of it. Are you making this idiocy up? Or did some media scum bag say it and you're regurgitating it?

CMI, I see you beat me to saying it.

I made it up. I sense Rodgers created a mutiny.

King Friday
04-08-2022, 08:01 PM
I think Adams had already made the decision to move on prior to last season. If anything, Adams probably was the reason for Rodgers to start thinking about leaving instead of visa versa.

However, Rodgers also realized that the Packers would only ship him to the AFC, which became significantly more competitive over the last 12 months, so Rodgers desire to move on waned even though he knew he would lose Adams.

King Friday
04-08-2022, 08:01 PM
dp