PDA

View Full Version : Report: Hackett Gets Denver HC Job

Joemailman
01-27-2022, 07:01 AM
The Packers Wire
@ThePackersWire

The Denver Broncos are finalizing a deal to hire Packers offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett as the team’s new head coach, per NFL Network.

This should increase the Rodgers to Denver talk.

Getsy and Stenavich are considered the favorites to replace him as OC.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-27-2022, 07:04 AM
This should increase the Rodgers to Denver talk.

Getsy and Stenavich are considered the favorites to replace him as OC.

Dammit, you beat me..but yeah, things are about to get interesting...

Joemailman
01-27-2022, 07:07 AM
Dammit, you beat me..but yeah, things are about to get interesting...

Ya gotta get up pretty early to beat a retired mailman. :)

King Friday
01-27-2022, 07:19 AM
I would have no issue sending him to Denver if we get a solid return. I'm just not sure Rodgers really wants to move to the AFC at this point. They have the 3 top young QBs in the game over there...maybe 4 if you include Herbert. I think Rodgers sees that, and that is at least partly why his stance on leaving has softened as the year moved on.

run pMc
01-27-2022, 07:41 AM
And if Hackett takes Getsy with him, then Rodgers may really be tempted lol.

Joemailman
01-27-2022, 08:03 AM
And if Hackett takes Getsy with him, then Rodgers may really be tempted lol.

Reports are Stenavich could go to Denver as OC. Getsy probably gets OC job in Green Bay.

Sparkey
01-27-2022, 08:11 AM
What assistant coaches will Hackett try to poach ?

Adam Stenavich as OC or Mike Smith, the LB coach as DC ? Maybe Jerry Gray as DC for Denver ?

Anti-Polar Bear
01-27-2022, 08:14 AM
So J-Lo to Denver for a 2nd rounder.

Butte signs a 10 year $250M contract extension with a $150M signing bonus that’s really just a 5 year deal. Packers cook the cap and Butte’s 2022 cap hit comes down to $19.25M.

Joemailman
01-27-2022, 08:16 AM

Adam Stenavich as OC or Mike Smith, the LB coach as DC ? Maybe Jerry Gray as DC for Denver ?

There ae reports that Ejiro Evero, who interviewed for the Packers DC job last year, is the favorite for Broncos DC. He's with the Rams, so can't be hired right now.

Bretsky
01-27-2022, 08:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFcSfqYqHs4

Bretsky
01-27-2022, 08:28 AM

Know what would be really F'ckin Funny

MAURICE DRAYTON----NEW ST COACH IN DENVER :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))0

Should We take up a collection in PR for his plane ticket ???????????????//

Bretsky
01-27-2022, 08:29 AM
HAPPY FOR HACKETT

We haven't had much of a coaching tree coming out of GB since Holmgren days. Good to know we're hiring some assistants worth a shit

Bretsky
01-27-2022, 08:30 AM
GETSY for OC; Matty needs to lock that up.

Since all of our 3rd round draft picks suck, let's trade our 3rd to Denver to take Drayton :))))))))))))))))

Upnorth
01-27-2022, 08:32 AM

Butte signs a 10 year $250M contract extension with a $150M signing bonus that’s really just a 5 year deal. Packers cook the cap and Butte’s 2022 cap hit comes down to $19.25M.

I believe the minimum with an extension is 25ish mill for his cap number.
I want to keep stenavich as he made pretty good chicken gumbo with mostly chicken shit. Need a ok oline if we are gonna commit that to qb.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-27-2022, 09:35 AM
I believe the minimum with an extension is 25ish mill for his cap number.
I want to keep stenavich as he made pretty good chicken gumbo with mostly chicken shit. Need a ok oline if we are gonna commit that to qb.

Mahomes signed his 10 yr $477M extension in 2020. His cap hit for 2021? A little under $7.5M. Chefs gained $17M in cap relief simply by cooking Mahomes’ contract entering the 2021 season.

As someone who has passed all 4 sections of the Wisconsin CPA exams (not a licensed CPA cos nobody would fucking hire me) trust me when I say this: the cap can always be cooked. The cap, in the modern era, is nothing more than an accounting tool the owners utilize to provide themselves with an excuse to cut labor expenses.

The Packers can certainly make Butte the highest paid QB. And make Fresno Freak the highest paid WR. And J-Alex the highest paid CB. And hand Campbell $12M a year. And give Douglas $10M/yr. All with a boatload of frogskins and by cooking the cap.

texaspackerbacker
01-27-2022, 09:40 AM

Sounds like a plan hahahahaha.

texaspackerbacker
01-27-2022, 09:43 AM
Good Luck to Hackett. He seems like a good guy and a good coach, but picking a head coach who is the current OC from a team where the head coach is the brains of the offense like LaFleur doesn't seem like all that great an idea.

Bretsky
01-27-2022, 09:51 AM
Good Luck to Hackett. He seems like a good guy and a good coach, but picking a head coach who is the current OC from a team where the head coach is the brains of the offense like LaFleur doesn't seem like all that great an idea.

Well to be fair it worked to pluck guys from Holmgren. Most key hires were from the offensive side of the ball (Mariucci/Chucky/Reid..ets)

bobblehead
01-27-2022, 09:58 AM
I was never a fan of Hackett during his Jacksonville years. I thought Bortles regressed every year he was there until he was out of the league. Maybe he was better than I thought, or maybe he learned from MLF. He is a legacy guy, but those guys don't always work out. I guess we will see if I'm correct or not, but in a mild agreement with Tex, I don't think he should get credit for an offense designed by MLF and executed by ARod.

George Cumby
01-27-2022, 10:18 AM
I think losing Stenavich is going to hurt a lot.

call_me_ishmael
01-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Virtually every media report talks about his personality and get-alongable ness. I hope he's not the glue guy that keeps everyone else loose and egos in check. I play this role at work so I know how important it is with team dynamics. Of course, I'm biased.

Upnorth
01-27-2022, 10:57 AM
Mahomes signed his 10 yr $477M extension in 2020. His cap hit for 2021? A little under $7.5M. Chefs gained $17M in cap relief simply by cooking Mahomes’ contract entering the 2021 season.

As someone who has passed all 4 sections of the Wisconsin CPA exams (not a licensed CPA cos nobody would fucking hire me) trust me when I say this: the cap can always be cooked. The cap, in the modern era, is nothing more than an accounting tool the owners utilize to provide themselves with an excuse to cut labor expenses.

The Packers can certainly make Butte the highest paid QB. And make Fresno Freak the highest paid WR. And J-Alex the highest paid CB. And hand Campbell $12M a year. And give Douglas $10M/yr. All with a boatload of frogskins and by cooking the cap.

2 aspects to this,
1) I trust overthecap more than CPA burger flipper
2) we have past extensions signing bonus that still has to be paid this year. Thats the majority of the extension cap hit (or at least i think that's why it's in the 20mil rage)

Oh and one more point, I would rather not win a Superbowl only to turn around and sacrife 5-7 years of cap he'll.

ThunderDan
01-27-2022, 11:26 AM
2 aspects to this,
2) we have past extensions signing bonus that still has to be paid this year. Thats the majority of the extension cap hit (or at least i think that's why it's in the 20mil rage)

Oh and one more point, I would rather not win a Superbowl only to turn around and sacrife 5-7 years of cap he'll.

APB may be correct only the Mahommes was still on his 4 year $16 million first contract when he signed the extension. KC had plenty of space to play cap games with. After this year Mahommes counts at least $40 million agains the KC cap.

GB doesn't have the luxury of having ARod on his first contract with a $10 million signing bonus.

Also, APB obviously committed some sort of ethical offense. Our firm can't find enough CPAs and we offer $75,000+ to start. APB could have his pick of jobs if he truly was a licensed CPA in WI.

call_me_ishmael
01-27-2022, 12:27 PM
2 aspects to this,

You wouldn't have five years of cap hell. They'd rip the bandaid off in one year I believe. Plus the cap is going to go way up since it's been depressed. They expect it to go up to 270 by 2024. It's 208 right now.

run pMc
01-27-2022, 12:56 PM

I think MLF can block them, no? I would think he wouldn't want Hackett to raid the staff.
Also, Adam Stenavich has done amazing work with the OL, it would be a shame to lose him. I'm not sure Getsy is as crucial.

Joemailman
01-27-2022, 01:10 PM
I think MLF can block them, no? I would think he wouldn't want Hackett to raid the staff.
Also, Adam Stenavich has done amazing work with the OL, it would be a shame to lose him. I'm not sure Getsy is as crucial.

As of 2020 NFL teams cannot block coaches from leaving for a coordinator position.

Thirteen Below
01-27-2022, 01:22 PM
Well to be fair it worked to pluck guys from Holmgren. Most key hires were from the offensive side of the ball (Mariucci/Chucky/Reid..ets)

I think his coaching style was different. His senior assistants seemed to be more involved in the planning of the offense, but maybe that's just the way I remember it because it was what the press talked about at the time.

McCarthy/Philbin were a different story, though. Remember when Joe Philbin was the golden boy of the NFL because of the Packers' Super Bowl offense in 2009, 2010, 11, etc? When he got the Miami job, everybody was gnashing their teeth because they thought we were going back to a series of .500 seasons, but we did just fine, and Philbin was a disaster in Miami. After they fired him, I don't think he ever worked again for anyone but McCarthy a couple more times, did he? Maybe he had another job in there somewhere I'm forgetting, but the point is, losing him didn't seem to hurt the Packers and didn't help Miami much. Is Hackett more of a Joe Philbin, or more like Andy Reid?

run pMc
01-27-2022, 05:33 PM
Philbin is asst. HC and OL coach for DAL.

I think Hackett is more Philbin than Reid. Some people think Andy Reid is more of the mad scientist/savant type; I don't get that vibe from Hackett.
With MLF calling the plays I don't know how good he really is; you could go off his time in JAX maybe, and assumed he's learned a few things since then.

Fangio is a very very good DC, but I thought he was iffy as a HC for Denver. Hackett might be able to do better; except for QB, they have some talent on the roster.

red
01-27-2022, 05:48 PM
i'll be honest, i didn't even know the guys name until today or yesterday

its lafleurs offence, he runs the whole thing and calls all the plays

not sure if this is that big of a deal IMO

and i'm not sure its that great of a hire for the boncos, especially if he can't bring rodgers and adams with him like some people seem to think is the only reason he got hired there

jklowan
01-27-2022, 06:01 PM
i'll be honest, i didn't even know the guys name until today or yesterday

its lafleurs offence, he runs the whole thing and calls all the plays

not sure if this is that big of a deal IMO

and i'm not sure its that great of a hire for the boncos, especially if he can't bring rodgers and adams with him like some people seem to think is the only reason he got hired there

reading reports he's looking to take the OL coach, that would hurt I think

red
01-27-2022, 06:05 PM
reading reports he's looking to take the OL coach, that would hurt I think

ok, that wouldn't be good

Joemailman
01-27-2022, 06:19 PM
LaFleur seems pretty good at hiring offensive assistants. His only real miss was Alvis Whitted, his 1st WR coach. 3 years ago when he hired Stenavich the reaction of most was something along the lines of "Who the hell is that?" Including me. Before LaFleur came to Green Bay, he coached with a lot of different teams, and so has worked with a lot of coaches. If he loses Stenavich and doesn't promote Butkus, I won't worry about his ability to find another good OL coach.

Now about his hiring of special teams coaches...

kcpackman
01-27-2022, 06:28 PM
Know what would be really F'ckin Funny

MAURICE DRAYTON----NEW ST COACH IN DENVER :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))0

LMOA - One could only hope.

Should We take up a collection in PR for his plane ticket ???????????????//

I am in for $10.