PDA

View Full Version : Welcome the new ST Coach Bisaccia

Fosco33
02-07-2022, 10:30 AM
Good first step

Joemailman
02-07-2022, 10:43 AM
Hopefully as part of the deal Bisaccia extracted from the Packers a commitment to place more of a priority on special teams than has been the case in the past. That includes which players are made available to special teams on a weekly basis, taking into account special teams on cutdown day, and practice time.

George Cumby
02-07-2022, 10:44 AM
Fuck. Yes.

Joemailman
02-07-2022, 11:13 AM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/5mBE2MiMVFITS/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47bneumq08z2dcadimyucy9akkj1dq nrnu2duvrs9u&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

texaspackerbacker
02-07-2022, 11:23 AM
I hope this guy is as good as ya'all seem to think, and I hope coaching makes enough difference to see significant improvement.

King Friday
02-07-2022, 01:19 PM
I hope this guy is as good as ya'all seem to think, and I hope coaching makes enough difference to see significant improvement.

He held the Raiders together last year. That's a large feather in his hat. If you can manage the vortex that is the Raiders, there is hope you can also manage the vortex that is the Packers ST.

Freak Out
02-07-2022, 01:27 PM
Hopefully as part of the deal Bisaccia extracted from the Packers a commitment to place more of a priority on special teams than has been the case in the past. That includes which players are made available to special teams on a weekly basis, taking into account special teams on cutdown day, and practice time.

All hands on deck. The 49ers starting safety blocked one of the kicks in the last game right? Get the best out there on a regular basis.

Fritz
02-07-2022, 02:00 PM
Hell yes. Wht Freak Out said.

Make Aaron Rodgers the holder so we can have some fake kicks!

red
02-07-2022, 03:47 PM
love it

mgordo
02-07-2022, 06:23 PM
Doesn't really matter who they have if they don't change their philosophy.

https://www.cheeseheadtv.com/blog/why-packer-special-teams-are-destined-to-stay-terrible-754

RashanGary
02-07-2022, 06:43 PM
I watched the Raiders Bengals playoff game. I don’t know all their starters but I can say Hunter Renfrow was the punt returner for LV.

I imagine it’s time to start playing our better players on special teams. We lost a playoff game we should have won because of special teams and they can’t ignore it any longer.

Joemailman
02-07-2022, 06:48 PM
I watched the Raiders Bengals playoff game. I don’t know all their starters but I can say Hunter Renfrow was the punt returner for LV.

I imagine it’s time to start playing our better players on special teams. We lost a playoff game we should have won because of special teams and they can’t ignore it any longer.

They probably do need to play their better players more on ST, but it's not without risk. A.J. Dillon getting hurt while blocking for return fundamentally changed Packers offense in 2nd half against 49ers.

Joemailman
02-07-2022, 07:11 PM
GREEN BAY - The Green Bay Packers remain the front-runners for former Las Vegas Raiders interim coach Rich Bisaccia, but as of Monday evening, the club had not announced a deal for him to become special teams coordinator and several sources with connections to Bisaccia said they had not heard a decision was final.

Several agents and coaches around the league have said they have been told the Packers were prepared to make Bisaccia the highest-paid special teams coach in the league at around $2 million per year, which would be much more than most teams would pay.

A source said the San Francisco 49ers, who fired Hightower after their playoff loss to the Los Angeles Rams, had reached out to Bisaccia about becoming their special teams coach. It’s not known if he has shown interest in joining them. The 49ers have another critical position they must fill after offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel left to become Miami Dolphins head coach, so they may not be in a rush to hire a special teams coach.

If the Packers can’t reel in Bisaccia, a good alternative has arisen: former Baltimore Ravens special teams coach Jerry Rosburg, who along with head coach John Harbaugh made the Ravens one of the league’s best on special teams from 2008-19.

Rosburg, a source said, is trying to get back into the league after retiring in ’19 to spend more time with his family. The Ravens ranked in the top five in special teams in each of his final seven years. '

Upnorth
02-07-2022, 11:18 PM
Reasons to be happy about this hire: he isn't Drayton et al.
Reasons to be skeptical: the packers hired him for special teams.

I'm completely apathetic about his hire... So far

Fritz
02-08-2022, 08:52 AM
Reasons to be happy about this hire: he isn't Drayton et al.
Reasons to be skeptical: the packers hired him for special teams.

I'm completely apathetic about his hire... So far

Well, it's more fun to read about this than it is to read about the Packers' cap situation and all the possible cuts and restructures they might make . . . unless you're a weird accountant type.

Joemailman
02-08-2022, 02:44 PM
Bisaccia officially listed on Packers coaching roster.

The Green Bay Packers have hired Rich Bisaccia as special teams coordinator. Head Coach Matt LaFleur made the announcement Tuesday.

Bisaccia (bis-SOTCH-ee-uh) brings 38 years of coaching experience to the Packers, including 20 seasons in the NFL as a special teams coordinator with the Oakland/Las Vegas Raiders (2018-21), Dallas Cowboys (2013-17), San Diego Chargers (2011-12) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2002-10). He comes to Green Bay after working as the assistant head coach/special teams coordinator for the Raiders since 2018. This past season, Bisaccia was promoted to interim head coach for Las Vegas on Oct. 11 and led the Raiders to their first postseason appearance since 2017. Overall, he has held the title of associate head coach or assistant head coach for 11 years in the NFL, including each of the last seven seasons.

In Bisaccia's five seasons with the Cowboys, he helped the special teams rank No. 5 in kickoff return average (24.2) after Dallas ranked No. 29 in 2012. Over his two years in San Diego, the Chargers ranked No. 13 in net punting average (39.4) after being last in the league in the category (28.7) in 2010. Bisaccia helped Tampa Bay win Super Bowl XXXVII in his first season as an NFL coach and guided three players to Pro Bowl honors (P Josh Bidwell, LS Dave Moore and KR Clifton Smith) in addition to 13 NFC Player of the Week awards and four NFC Player of the Month awards during his time with the Buccaneers.

Prior to entering the NFL coacing ranks in 2002, Bisaccia spent 19 seasons coaching at the collegiate level with stops at the University of Mississippi (1999-2001), Clemson University (1994-98), the University of South Carolina (1988-93) and Wayne State University (1983-87). A native of Yonkers, N.Y., Bisaccia attended Yankton College in South Dakota from 1979-1982 and was a four-year starter at defensive back.

Joemailman
02-11-2022, 08:12 PM
Field Yates

the Packers are hiring Byron Storer as their assistant special teams coach.

He worked in the same role for the past four years in Las Vegas and reunites with Rich Bisaccia in Green Bay.

Storer was also college teammates with Aaron Rodgers at Cal.

Covering all the angles.

Joemailman
03-12-2022, 12:00 PM
Packers have hired Michael Spurlock as quality control assistant for special teams. Spurlock had 5 career kickoff/punt returns for TD's during his playing career. Bisaccia was his ST coach for some of those years. More evidence that Bisaccia may have more influence than past Packers ST coordinators. My guess is Spurlock will be spending a lot of time working with Kylin Hill and Amari Rodgers.

No word yet on whether Spurlock has a past or current connection with Aaron Rodgers.